PDA

View Full Version : Midfield

mjhibby
05-08-2018, 07:53 PM
I thought the midfield three were superb and the passing top notch. Considering mallan is playing a more reserved role than he's used to that really pleasing. We're not missing Dylan as much as I thought. Sjm is in the zone and I think we should forget about selling him unless we have a replacement lined up. Obviously Scott will improve the midfield and mclaren and the new winger will mean a decent squad. One more midfielder and cover in defence and we've a good squad. BTW sjm could help get us to the group stages and go after that. If we get past molde surely just forget about selling sjm.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Not sure if Lenny knows Slivkas best position I don’t think even Slivka knows seems to drift in and out of games and also seems to make the wrong choices.There does seem to be a player lurking in there somewhere?

Hi Heid Yin
05-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Not sure if Lenny knows Slivkas best position I don’t think even Slivka knows seems to drift in and out of games and also seems to make the wrong choices.There does seem to be a player lurking in there somewhere?

This season, for me, is a "make or break" one for Slivka. A season in which I hope he "delivers" and "impacts".
I really didn't rate him last season and have previously given reasons why.
He falls into the "unconvincing" category for me - a player who might be technically gifted, but whose overall play is "bitty" He also "disappears" far too often in too many games.
He is not alone in this respect: Danny Swanson is the other who has yet to "truly impact" and become all but "undroppable".
As always, I trust in Neil Lennon, and if he still sees these two offering us something, then who am I not to give both the benefit of the doubt.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 04:32 AM
Totally agree! I would love to be proved wrong by Slivka and Swanson but time might be running out! I thought Big Marv was outstanding today in his holding role there is a good chance hopefully that Scotty Allan will come home before the window shuts we also have Murray and Martin coming through and I would not rule out Lennny bringing in a.n. Other to further strengthen the squad as I am sure he has huge ambitions for the season ahead.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 04:34 AM
Totally agree! I would love to be proved wrong by Slivka and Swanson but time might be running out! I thought Big Marv was outstanding today in his holding role there is a good chance hopefully that Scotty Allan will come home before the window shuts we also have Murray and Martin coming through and I would not rule out Lennny bringing in a.n. Other to further strengthen the squad as I am sure he has huge ambitions for the season ahead.
One other thing! Please do not sell SJM no need! :wink:

Sioux
06-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Slivka's a liability. No urgency to get himself in a position to influence the game and rarely keeps the ball. Couldn't tackle a fish supper, even if he wanted to. Offers nothing when out of possession. Defensibly, a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Sorry.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Slivka's a liability. No urgency to get himself in a position to influence the game and rarely keeps the ball. Couldn't tackle a fish supper, even if he wanted to. Offers nothing when out of possession. Defensibly, a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Sorry.

No need to apologise if that's your opinion.

I'll respectfully disagree though.

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 08:25 AM

Sorry.

Don't suppose you watched much of the tripolis games?

makaveli1875
06-08-2018, 08:43 AM
If the coaches could teach big Marv how to dribble , hit crossfield passes and score goals he'd be the perfect replacement for Mcginn

Ozyhibby
06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
I can’t make up my mind on Slivka. Sometimes he looks excellent but was poor yesterday. Seems to lack urgency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sioux
06-08-2018, 08:56 AM
Don't suppose you watched much of the tripolis games?

All of it. Second half he was nowhere. One of the reasons they controlled the midfield area.

Andy JR
06-08-2018, 08:59 AM
If the coaches could teach big Marv how to dribble , hit crossfield passes and score goals he'd be the perfect replacement for Mcginn

I reckon teaching Marv to score goals is a bridge too far...

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
All of it. Second half he was nowhere. One of the reasons they controlled the midfield area.

Ok then, what were the other reasons? Keen to hear. Seems an unbalanced critism just to call Slivka out when there were other reasons.

Blaster
06-08-2018, 09:03 AM
I can’t make up my mind on Slivka. Sometimes he looks excellent but was poor yesterday. Seems to lack urgency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m with you ozy. Looks decent for half a game at times then falls out of it. Looked a bit lethargic when he came on yesterday but the team had dropped a gear so maybe a bit harsh on him

SRHibs
06-08-2018, 09:21 AM

And second half of first game (I think it’s fair to discount the first half bearing in mind he was playing RWB)?

In the last game he should’ve been subbed earlier IMO. I think it was his fitness that held him back though, and not a lack of quality or effort.

Baw187
06-08-2018, 09:26 AM
I’m with you ozy. Looks decent for half a game at times then falls out of it. Looked a bit lethargic when he came on yesterday but the team had dropped a gear so maybe a bit harsh on him

Think he struggles coming in off the bench albeit he was good when he can on against Celtic. Seems to need to a couple of touches and passes to find his range and he didn’t get that yesterday. Nae good in 50/50s yesterday but was good on Greece.

Weird one to call at times.

Smartie
06-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Slivka needs games.

He's relatively inexperienced at first team level.

I was encouraged by some of his driving runs yesterday but his use of the ball left a lot to be desired.

He looked knackered in the second half in Greece, but put in very accomplished halves in the first half over there and in the second half at home.

Personally, I think there's a fantastic player in there but we need to support him through a few dodgy performances and we need to play him every week rather than discard him when he has a slightly under-par cameo at the end of a game that is already won and a good few players around him are knackered.

Lancs Harp
06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
I think Slivka is a talented player, lets face it you dont get picked up by the likes of Juve if you're a dud. The lad is still pretty young too (think hes 23).

He likes a bit of time on the ball which you dont get here, I think the game in Scotland is probably a little bit too quick for him.

Since90+2
06-08-2018, 10:15 AM
I think Slivka is a talented player, lets face it you dont get picked up by the likes of Juve if you're a dud. The lad is still pretty young too (think hes 23).

He likes a bit of time on the ball which you dont get here, I think the game in Scotland is probably a little bit too quick for him.

I think he has potential but being at a big club doesn't mean you have talent. Daniel Boateng was at Arsenal and was arguably the worst centre half we've ever had.

J-C
06-08-2018, 10:17 AM
He needs a real run of games in the centre, stop messing around with him and let him develop, I think we'll see more of him when McGinn leaves.

Future17
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Slivka needs games.

He's relatively inexperienced at first team level.

I was encouraged by some of his driving runs yesterday but his use of the ball left a lot to be desired.

He looked knackered in the second half in Greece, but put in very accomplished halves in the first half over there and in the second half at home.

Personally, I think there's a fantastic player in there but we need to support him through a few dodgy performances and we need to play him every week rather than discard him when he has a slightly under-par cameo at the end of a game that is already won and a good few players around him are knackered.

That sums it up for me. Unfair to judge him as a player until he's been given a lengthy run of games in a settled side.

I expected that to happen this season but time will tell if Lennon can get the midfield balance right.

snooky
06-08-2018, 10:21 AM
I reckon teaching Marv to score goals is a bridge too far...

I was quite surprised in his post match interview he openly admitted that whenever he gets near goal he looks for someone to pass to. Surely as a pro footballer you're mindset (no matter what position you play) should be to have a pop at the goal if you get the chance. Is it any wonder Marv doesn't score with that line of thought in his head.

Love the guy, btw. Cult hero. :not worth

SRHibs
06-08-2018, 10:23 AM
I was quite surprised in his post match interview he openly admitted that whenever he gets near goal he looks for someone to pass to. Surely as a pro footballer you're mindset (no matter what position you play) should be to have a pop at the goal if you get the chance. Is it any wonder Marv doesn't score with that line of thought in his head.

Love the guy, btw. Cult hero. :not worth

There was a point on Sunday where the ball rolled perfectly into his path for a first time shot. You could tell he was thinking about skelping it, but ended up doing a 180 and passing backwards. Gave me a laugh for some reason.

The_Horde
06-08-2018, 10:24 AM

He had cramp. And he was on a yellow so had to be careful.

What about the first leg when he was probably the main reason we took control of the midfield second half?

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-08-2018, 10:30 AM
He needs a real run of games in the centre, stop messing around with him and let him develop, I think we'll see more of him when McGinn leaves.

Absolutely this

Sioux
06-08-2018, 10:32 AM
He had cramp. And he was on a yellow so had to be careful.

What about the first leg when he was probably the main reason we took control of the midfield second half?

Overall, from what I've seen, I don't think he is good enough to be a first team regular that will influence games. I don't get this 'he needs games' stuff. If he was showing up in training as being a first team starter I'd think NL would put him in. He hasn't and unlikely he will. All in my opinion of course.

Time will tell.

Smartie
06-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Overall, from what I've seen, I don't think he is good enough to be a first team regular that will influence games. I don't get this 'he needs games' stuff. If he was showing up in training as being a first team starter I'd think NL would put him in. He hasn't and unlikely he will. All in my opinion of course.

Time will tell.

The reason he hasn't been a starter more often is (injury aside) because he's had McGinn, McGeouch, Scott Allan and Marvin Bartley ahead of him in the queue - all players who are excellent at what they do.

There's no shame in not quite matching them in training.

Stevie Reid
06-08-2018, 10:46 AM
I think Slivka's qualities are obvious, and I'm really excited to see what this season brings from him.

I'm also pretty sure that he was rested yesterday, and will be a starter on Thursday. Though Marvin has definitely given Lennon plenty to think about.