PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 050818)

Jonnyboy
05-08-2018, 06:28 PM
It’s been a brilliant start to the season with two European ties under the belt and a comprehensive victory in the first league game of the season. The ties against Runavik and Asteras brought excitement, goals and a feeling of contentment while this latest win, against Motherwell was achieved with a side lacking what you might label regular starters and was all the more enjoyable for that fact. When I heard the line-up I wasn’t surprised as a few of our players would surely be suffering from an amount of fatigue if not minor niggles and injuries. The introduction of Shaw, Bartley and Porteous into the starting line-up provided a very pleasant outcome with all three enjoying excellent performances.

The opening exchanges set a precedent in that Hibs took control and basically dominated their opponents although it has to be said the carving out of real chances was at a premium in the first twenty five minutes or so. Young Oli Shaw was showing up well and often took the ball in before finding a team mate whilst Martin Boyle buzzed about in his role as second striker. A few half chances were created with both Hanlon and McGinn trying their luck without threatening the Motherwell goal.

The breakthrough finally arrived around the half hour mark when Hartley used an arm to block a shot by Mallan and referee Bobby Madden (more about him later) awarded a free kick just outside the 18 yard box. Once the wall had finally settled down, Stevie Mallan struck a sweet right foot effort beyond Carson and into the net. That goal was met with a huge roar from the home crowd who followed that up with deafening applause to Jamie Maclaren heading out from the bench for a warm up. The visitors were rocking and as half time approached an exquisite curling low cross from SJM found Shaw at the back post and the youngster controlled the ball superbly before firing it behind Carson to double the Hibernian lead. Moments later a slip by Bartley allowed Cadden to get a shot away but Bogdan reacted superbly diving to his right to stop the effort from going in. In truth, it would have been a travesty to go in at 2-1 rather than 2-0 because Motherwell had offered little or no threat during the first forty five.

Manager Stephen Robinson made a double change at the break and altered the formation of his team but in truth it made little difference as within the first five minutes both Gray and Boyle had Carson scrambling. Motherwell failed to heed the warning and that allowed Boyle to finish off a superb passing move by taking a pass from Shaw before working himself across the 18 yard box and then firing low behind Carson. At 3-0 it was a fair reflection of the game and the fact that a fourth without conceding would put Hibs at the top of the table did not go unnoticed.

It seemed however that the players collectively took their foot off the gas and the visitors started to enjoy a lot more possession. Around the hour mark, Lenny decided on a double change with Gray and Mallan making way for Slivka and Maclaren, the latter getting a standing ovation as he took to the field of play. Those changes necessitated a change in formation with Boyler moving to right wing back and Maclaren joining Shaw up front. That in turn meant the out ball to Boyle was no longer an option and Hibs became a little lethargic in their approach to the game. Around the time that Hibs made their double change, Motherwell withdrew the ineffective Curtis Main and replaced him with a youngster signed from Gateshead, Danny Johnson with the new arrival looking tricky around the edge of the Hibs box.

With Hibs seemingly content to see the game out, Johnson was unlucky when he jinked free of his marker and beat Bogdan with a low shot which came back off the post. He collected the rebound, created an angle for a shot and then looked on in disbelief as Paul Hanlon got in a timely block to deflect the ball for a corner. A ‘goal’ for Motherwell was then disallowed after a hand ball in the lead up before Johnson swivelled again and watched his shot trickle wide of the upright.

Thunderous applause once again rang around Easter Road when SJM was given a much deserved break when he was replaced by Swanson. McGinn deserved the applause as he had once again proved that he will give his all for Hibs for as long as he remains here.

Hibs did have another chance to score when Stevenson and Shaw combined to set Maclaren free but Carson did well to stop the striker from scoring. Little else of note followed before Bobby Madden blew the final whistle and though I’ve been a long-time admirer of the whistler I thought he was very poor today and that final whistle was only one of a few things he got right. In the past, I’ve lauded the way he lets the game flow rather than doing a Clancy and blowing his whistle for every little thing but today he allowed some quite cynical and persistent fouls to go unpunished and generally missed a few challenges that deserved an instant reaction.

The players

Adam Bogdan – Delighted to see him continue the good form shown in Greece and had two or three excellent saves as well as commanding his box by collecting high balls into the area. It’s a slight concern that he appeared to have tweaked his groin and had to get Porteous to take his goal kicks later in the game.

Efe – What a joy to see the pipe and slippers very much back in evidence as the big fella strolled through the game. The knock he took to his knee, late on, may prove a problem but I hope not as on this form he makes the game look easy.

Ryan – Replacing big Daz is quite a job for a young lad to take on but he did so to great effect. I was delighted when, after our third and we started to ease off, he became a good old fashioned centre half and cleared the ball if there looked to be any danger.

Paul – On a day when a good number of players vied for my man of the match award I’ve no hesitation in giving it to Paul. He was immense from start to finish and almost always made good use of the ball when he had it at his feet. Main and Sammon can be a handful but he and Ryan made sure they’d go home frustrated.

SDG – I read on here that someone likened David to having a new signing and I concur. Injury problems behind him he’s returned to the sort of good form he enjoyed before that break. It was brilliant today to see him in the Motherwell box more often than his own.

Stevie Mallan – What a very clever player Mallan is. Sometimes bullied off the ball but he goes back for more and he played a number of excellent passes today as well as striking the ball superbly for the opening goal. The good news is that he’s only going to get better the more he plays.

Marv – I always think Marv has one good game and then a bad and then a good and so on. Today was very much a good game as apart from the slip late in the first half he was a beast in protecting the back three.

SJM – I heard the Radio Scotland guys raving about SJM after the game and on the evidence of his performances both today and in the European games it’s no surprise they are salivating. The laddie just oozes class, commitment and energy and it’ll be a sad day when he leaves.

Lewis – After what looked to have been a bad injury in Greece the wee man went about his business as normal today with a host of marauding runs down the left and a few key interceptions at the other end.

Boyler – I’m in the camp that Boyler is a wide player and not a striker but I felt he played the latter role quite well today. His movement is exceptional and it’s no surprise that opposing defenders double up on him though that little trick didn’t work when he scored a fine goal today.

Oli – The youngster came very close to getting my man of the match today. Led the line really well, found space really well and took his goal really well. I know there are some who feel he’s not ready for first team football yet, at least on a regular basis but I felt today that he firmly addressed the first part of that assessment. Let’s please have no more daft talk about sending him out on loan.

Slivka – Never really got into the game properly in my view although he did make one or two lung bursting runs forward. Unfortunately in releasing the ball he didn’t quite get it right.

Jamie – Looked a little ring rusty and almost set up a goal for Motherwell with a stray pass but I have no doubt he’ll soon be doing the business at the right end of the park. I read that part of the reason he returned to the club was that he feels wanted here and I’m sure that view will be reinforced in him following the rousing reception he got from the stands.

Danny – Some nice touches and one excellent run that, sadly didn’t create a chance after a timely intervention by a Motherwell defender.

The ref – Today was definitely not of Bobby Madden’s better days.

Lenny – Listened to his interview on my way home and you could actually hear him smiling!

Shrekko
05-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Nice report but think it was Slivka’s heel that ruined the final pass after Danny’s great run.

Oli Shaw was a revelation.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2018, 06:50 PM
Nice report but think it was Slivka’s heel that ruined the final pass after Danny’s great run.

Oli Shaw was a revelation.

Now you mention it aye, you’re right. Also agree about Oli ✅

BroxburnHibee
05-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Cheers John.

It's a sign of how well we played that there's 4 or 5 you could give MOTM to.

For me it was Ryan, that laddie oozes class and will be a Scotland fixture in years to come IMO.

SouthMoroccoStu
05-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Strangely I thought Madden had a decent game

Definitely not helped by his assistants, some liberal placements for taking throwins for Motherwell but other than that I thought he was good

Tin hat on

supermcginn
05-08-2018, 06:58 PM

Definitely not helped by his assistants, some liberal placements for taking throwins for Motherwell but other than that I thought he was good

Tin hat on
He did, he's easily the best available compared to idiots like clancy and muir.

Hibs Class
05-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Tin hat on

I agree. Thought he tried to play advantage well, kept his cards away and got the big decisions right (despite Robinson's after match comments, I thought it was a definite free kick that led to the first goal)

PatHead
05-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Great report. Agree Paul Hanlon was outstanding. I love how he how he has added attacking to his game over the past year. He appeared on the left wing crossing,then shortly after had a run down the middle. Much more added to his game.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Great report as usual JB. Completely bossed the 1st half, and Motherwell only came into it after we made the substitutions
It’s great that we can throw some young homegrown talent into the team on our 1st league game, and none of them looked out of place at this level
Usual dependable performances from our regular top performers, but really enjoyed Marvs display today. Looked like the player of 2 years ago, with some lung bursting runs forwards

All in all a great display and 3 points, which I’d have taken if you’d offered it to me prematch

franks
05-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Jonnyboy after I return from the game the first thing I do is look up your thread.I Remember in Mass Hibsteria I loved the "this is how it feels" thread (was that you?)

You should be in the EEN Hibs section thanks for your continued contribution.

GloryGlory
05-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Tin hat on

A couple of times the ball went out for a throw in at the Motherwell dugout. Robinson picked the ball up and chucked it to a Motherwell player another 6 - 7 yards up the pitch to take the throw. It wasn't even subtle. Ref and linesman do nowt except stand by and watch it.

Eyrie
05-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Not often I disagree with Jonnyboy's TIHIF but this time I've a couple of issues.

Firstly I thought Madden had a good game, other than not booking their player who brought McGinn down late in the first half and then blocked any attempt at taking the free kick quickly. McGinn even gave him time to move.

Secondly, Hanlon played well but Porteous was the man of the match.

Lancs Harp
05-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Personally i thought Madden was awful. Hes to slow making his mind up, allows advantage when he shoudnt as if hes thinking about it too much then its too late. Thought he was poor to be honest.

houstonhibbee
05-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Personally i thought Madden was awful. Hes to slow making his mind up, allows advantage when he shoudnt as if hes thinking about it too much then its too late. Thought he was poor to be honest.
relative to the options available he was brilliant..............

Lancs Harp
05-08-2018, 08:13 PM
relative to the options available he was brilliant..............

Quite

And probably why no British referees were present at the world cup. Long may that continue :wink:

Famous Fiver
05-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I agree with the report but it was no surprise to me that the last half hour was flat.

We have given our all over two legs against the Greeks and had to overcome a very physical Motherwell team. They came to win the battle, then play football.We came to play football but had players like McGinn, Malan, Gray, Stevenson Hanlon, and especially big Marv and young Poreous who were not going to be bullied.

In addition we have another two big legs to come against Molde and an away league game to play so I was just glad we got the last half hour out of the way without mishap.

As I pointed out on another thread my opinion is that Porteous looks every inch a £5 Million player.

Lancs Harp
05-08-2018, 08:23 PM
It wasnt breathtaking, it wasnt Brazil 70, but we were IMO easily the better side and importantly we "managed the game" very well. No player played badly (maybe Slivka might be disappointed with his efforts today, but no big deal hes delivered before) how many teams do you hear about struggling after returning from European exploits? I'll take todays result and performance any day of the week. I'd be far more worried if I was a 'Well fan I thought they were dreadful.

Jonnyboy
05-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Tin hat on

He did, he's easily the best available compared to idiots like clancy and muir.

I agree. Thought he tried to play advantage well, kept his cards away and got the big decisions right (despite Robinson's after match comments, I thought it was a definite free kick that led to the first goal)

Not often I disagree with Jonnyboy's TIHIF but this time I've a couple of issues.

Firstly I thought Madden had a good game, other than not booking their player who brought McGinn down late in the first half and then blocked any attempt at taking the free kick quickly. McGinn even gave him time to move.

Secondly, Hanlon played well but Porteous was the man of the match.

Thanks for the feedback folks :aok: As I said I've been a fan of Madden's but today I thought he wasn't at his best. Good to hear other views, as always

Jonnyboy
05-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Jonnyboy after I return from the game the first thing I do is look up your thread.I Remember in Mass Hibsteria I loved the "this is how it feels" thread (was that you?)

You should be in the EEN Hibs section thanks for your continued contribution.

This is how it feels started originally with the founding editor, Colin Leslie and when I became editor I took over that mantle. It carried on after I left but I'm not sure who was writing it. I miss the fanzine but there's just no market for it any more, sadly.

Inconsequential
05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
This is how it feels started originally with the founding editor, Colin Leslie and when I became editor I took over that mantle. It carried on after I left but I'm not sure who was writing it. I miss the fanzine but there's just no market for it any more, sadly. Keep up the good reports Jonnyboy! I enjoy your thread as it gives me great insight into the Hibs games - it isn't exactly easy to attend games living on the west coast! I was a subscriber first of Hibs Monthly and later when it changed it's name to Mass Hibsteria. I used to eagerly await each copy every month. I still have many copies at a guess probably about 50.... still miss it!

danhibees1875
05-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Thought the ref had a decent game. I can't remember ever being annoyed at any of his decisions and thought he had one really good bit of officiating when he allowed us to play on before returning to book the guy who took Bartley late.

CockneyRebel
05-08-2018, 09:17 PM
This is how it feels started originally with the founding editor, Colin Leslie and when I became editor I took over that mantle. It carried on after I left but I'm not sure who was writing it. I miss the fanzine but there's just no market for it any more, sadly.

Loved it and miss it.

jacomo
05-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Great stuff.

Terrific team performance today.

I think Mallan did very little apart from his free kick, Slivka had a nightmare and Danny looked very sharp when he cane on.

Big Marv did a great job but a couple of amusing nose bleed moments when he drove towards the Well box and then had no idea what to do. He really offers no attacking threat at all.

So pleased for both Porteous and Shaw. I hope more from our development squad take their chance.

lord bunberry
05-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Talking of Madden, did anyone notice for the first goal that the wall was never ten yards back. Madden measured out seven steps and then took a step back and drew the line with his spray. It probably worked in our favour when Mallan hit it low.

The Leith Dutch
05-08-2018, 09:53 PM
Adam Bogdan – Delighted to see him continue the good form shown in Greece and had two or three excellent saves as well as commanding his box by collecting high balls into the area. It’s a slight concern that he appeared to have tweaked his groin and had to get Porteous to take his goal kicks later in the game.

Great review of the game.

One thing that struck we about the above was Porteous doesn't half give the ball a clatter.
He could almost take a shot from a goal kick he leathers it that hard.

Hibeewilly
05-08-2018, 10:15 PM
A lot of great performances today but for me there was one player who was absolutely outstanding and his initials are SJM :hibees

NAE NOOKIE
05-08-2018, 10:31 PM
It was a super team performance today with every player stepping up, especially the guys who came in which was really pleasing.

Bogdan ….. 7 …… After Thursday and now today its hard to believe its the same guy as played in the first leg against the Greeks, made some good saves.

Gray …. 7 …. Got up and down the pitch really well and looks back to his best.

Ambrose …. 7 …. Decisive in the tackle, won a pile of headers by being in the right place and strolled it at times.

Hanlon …. 7.5 ….. Just that wee bit ahead of his defensive colleagues, made some good blocks and played well with the ball at his feet too.

Porteous … 7.5 …. Bossed the Motherwell two at times and fitted in really well, I loved the bit in the first half where the ball got away from him and he absolutely rattled a Motherwell player in his challenge to win it back.

Stevenson …. 6.5 ….. His usual super effort, defended well and got up and down the pitch well, just loses half a point for a few misplaced passes.

Bartley …. 7 …. As effective as I've seen him for ages, stopped Motherwell time and again and buzzed about to great effect, rampaged forward a couple of times but he just doesn't trust himself to shoot, I doubt poor Marv will ever score.

Mallan … 7 …. Scored a super free kick and flitted about the midfield to good effect, I don't think he's going to be spectacular, but he's always neat and tidy.

McGinn …. 8 …. His first hour was just excellent and one diagonal raking pass he played in the 2nd half was bloody sublime … what a player.

Boyle …. 7 …. Worked hard, did some nice stuff and took his goal really well.

Shaw …. 7.5 …. His hold up play was really good IMO and even when he wasn't winning headers his challenges were enough to cause the defenders problems, took his goal well too.

Subs:

Slivka …. 4 …. I thought he didn't make enough of a couple of excellent forward runs and he lost the ball a couple of times.

McLaren …. 4 …. Just for signing back on and one decent run onto a pass to get his shot off.

Swanson … 4 …. did ok for the wee while he was on.

RyeSloan
05-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Great review of the game.

One thing that struck we about the above was Porteous doesn't half give the ball a clatter.
He could almost take a shot from a goal kick he leathers it that hard.

His first goal kick was a total monster!

Smartie
05-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Slivka's distribution was a big sloppy once or twice but I really didn't think he played badly.

He had a couple of powerful runs, after which all that was lacking was a final ball, and as legs were tiring he didn't really have the options that other players did early in the game.

GloryGlory
05-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Talking of Madden, did anyone notice for the first goal that the wall was never ten yards back. Madden measured out seven steps and then took a step back and drew the line with his spray. It probably worked in our favour when Mallan hit it low.

Yep. The spot for the free kick was almost on the D but Madden didn't get the wall back near the penalty spot - drew the line well in front.

Also a couple of Motherwell players did that annoying thing of standing practically next to the ball at a Hibs fee kick preventing a quick kick. One by SJM got retaken but no yellow card for the Motherwell player. I was under the impression that players are required to retreat 10 metres!

The tackle on Marvin that earned the guy a delayed yellow card was also a shocker, could have been red IMO, but the player was lucky that the ball broke to a Hibs player and the ref played advantage.

snooky
06-08-2018, 12:15 AM
Cheers John.

It's a sign of how well we played that there's 4 or 5 you could give MOTM to.

For me it was Ryan, that laddie oozes class and will be a Scotland fixture in years to come IMO.

Ryan was my MOTM too, fwiw.

Hibrandenburg
06-08-2018, 11:08 AM
As always when I didn't actually see the game, this is my first "go to" report. Keep up the great work JB.