PDA

View Full Version : Big Marv.

Mango Man
05-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Thought he looked back to his best today, was great to see him get a full 90 minutes under his belt, some of those forward runs of his were proving very handy, just wish he would shoot, just once, would love to see him get a goal.

lord bunberry
05-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Thought he looked back to his best today, was great to see him get a full 90 minutes under his belt, some of those forward runs of his were proving very handy, just wish he would shoot, just once, would love to see him get a goal.
He was brilliant again today. Motherwell barely got a sniff in the middle of the pitch.

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Feel like Marv always plays well, however, when your defensive mid is playing well that usually correlates with deep defensive play and not much midfield creativity.

Always plays well, but I prefer the team without him in it. Seems strange saying that but I definitely think we're a better team without him.

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Feel like Marv always plays well, however, when your defensive mid is playing well that usually correlates with deep defensive play and not much midfield creativity.

Always plays well, but I prefer the team without him in it. Seems strange saying that but I definitely think we're a better team without him.

Do you think that’s what happened today? Cos if so, I disagree completely

lord bunberry
05-08-2018, 04:52 PM

I disagree, I think he allowed Mallan and McGinn to be more forward thinking and creative. He ran forward loads of times with the ball today as well.

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Do you think that’s what happened today? Cos if so, I disagree completely

To an extent, I don't think we were struggling for creativity but I definitely think that we are more creative without him and feel like Lennon sees it that way too which is why Slivka will start on Thurs.

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 04:55 PM
I disagree, I think he allowed Mallan and McGinn to be more forward thinking and creative. He ran forward loads of times with the ball today as well.

Aye but you'd far rather have Slivka running forward than Marv no? Bartley is hardly going to strike fear into their defence running forward?

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2018, 04:55 PM
To an extent, I don't think we were struggling for creativity but I definitely think that we are more creative without him and feel like Lennon sees it that way too which is why Slivka will start on Thurs.

I agree that Slivka will prob start on Thursday but I don’t think Marv playing today had any sort of of negative impact on how creative or attacking we were. He allowed the other 2 to play and also managed to drive forward himself a few times

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 04:59 PM
I agree that Slivka will prob start on Thursday but I don’t think Marv playing today had any sort of of negative impact on how creative or attacking we were. He allowed the other 2 to play and also managed to drive forward himself a few times

Maybe I'm being a little harsh, I do love the guy and he's put in some cracking performances for us so suppose it's a better "issue" for me to have with the team than say Whitaker playing DM...

lord bunberry
05-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Aye but you'd far rather have Slivka running forward than Marv no? Bartley is hardly going to strike fear into their defence running forward?
Yes but I’d rather have big marv winning the ball and breaking up play than Slivka. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we kept a clean sheet today, whilst also scoring three goals. There has to be a balance and Marv definitely provides that. There’s certainly games where Marv isn’t needed, but against a big physical team like Motherwell he is ideal.

murray26
05-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Came in and done a good job as always.. well worth keeping

Shrekko
05-08-2018, 05:03 PM
I’m not going to criticise Whittaker who’s been an excellent Hibs player and made us a lot of money, but watching Marv today I just can’t see why NL favours Whitty in that role over him.

Efe and Hanlon were able to carry the ball as much as they wanted knowing Marv was there to cover them.

adhibs
05-08-2018, 05:06 PM
He was class both defensively and with the ball at feet.

The Modfather
05-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Funny how we all see the game differently. I thought he was decent enough today, but ultimately far too limited a player to play a big part in where we are today. Although it must be acknowledged he played a big part in helping to get us there.

He’s tailor made for Tynecastle where Hearts turn it into a game of rugby, but feel he is far too limited on the ball to compete at the top end of the league. Definitely need someone of his ilk, but who is more comfortable on the ball and a better passer.

Winston Ingram
05-08-2018, 05:16 PM
We looked much more solid with Marv in there

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Funny how we all see the game differently. I thought he was decent enough today, but ultimately far too limited a player to play a big part in where we are today. Although it must be acknowledged he played a big part in helping to get us there.

He’s tailor made for Tynecastle where Hearts turn it into a game of rugby, but feel he is far too limited on the ball to compete at the top end of the league. Definitely need someone of his ilk, but who is more comfortable on the ball and a better passer.

Pretty much what I was trying (poorly) to say above.

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2018, 05:19 PM

Always plays well, but I prefer the team without him in it. Seems strange saying that but I definitely think we're a better team without him.I feel the same mate it's a real conundrum with Big Marv. Luv the big guy we look a much more solid unit when he plays...but it's a hindrance to our forward play as he's clearly a bit clueless in the opponents half

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
05-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Would be in my starting XI every week when fit and on form.

snooky
05-08-2018, 05:20 PM

Totally agree, MM. :aok: Marv had a great game.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Marv was good for 65-70 minutes today.

Then died a bit, like most of them.

Smartie
05-08-2018, 05:28 PM
There are games that cry out for Marvin Bartley and I'd say it's almost negligent not to play him in those games.

Motherwell is always a physical battle and he relished getting stuck in against them.

I'd be desperate to hang onto him, and I think he may yet have something to offer us in Europe if we find ourselves with something to defend.

He's not a first pick though, and can't expect to play every week, and I don't know how he'd feel about that.

CMac1988
05-08-2018, 05:29 PM
2nd best player on the park today behind Porteus. I'm not sure what some expect from him. He's a defensive midfielder and done his job to a tee today.

Made numerous challenges and spread the ball about better than he ever has. He also made a good few runs forward playing the ball out wide.

Only negatives were 2 mistakes. One misplaced pass to Stevenson which amounted to a throw in in the opposition's half so no harm done. The other was a defensive mistake which could've resulted in a goal with him unable to control a ball after switching off momentarily just outside the box. It happens and ultimately didn't amount to anything either.

NOLA
05-08-2018, 05:29 PM
He’s gonna be a very important player for us in the hard dirty games - Hamilton Dundee Saintees st Mirren, knows his job knows his limitations, great player for the team and in terms of squad harmony atmosphere [emoji106]

neil7908
05-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Tough call for the home leg on Thursday as we need to take the game to them but I'd play Marv.

We've lost far too many goals end of last and start of this season and bar the final 20 minutes when the game was won, we look much better defensively with Marv in the side.

These guys will be a class up from what we have faced so far and we won't go through if we concede sloppy goals.

weecounty hibby
05-08-2018, 05:47 PM
MOM for me today, I thought he was excellent and when he tired late on that was when Motherwell got into it a bit. I love the big man and just pray that he one day scores a goal for Hibs

snooky
05-08-2018, 05:56 PM
2nd best player on the park today behind Porteus. I'm not sure what some expect from him. He's a defensive midfielder and done his job to a tee today.

Made numerous challenges and spread the ball about better than he ever has. He also made a good few runs forward playing the ball out wide.

Only negatives were 2 mistakes. One misplaced pass to Stevenson which amounted to a throw in in the opposition's half so no harm done. The other was a defensive mistake which could've resulted in a goal with him unable to control a ball after switching off momentarily just outside the box. It happens and ultimately didn't amount to anything either.

:agree: SJM & SDR weren't shoddy either. Nether were Mullens & goalie.

dp00
05-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Defo a place for him in the squad for me ... won’t start every game but is a defo for rangers , Celtic and Hearts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Mullens.

Who?

houstonhibbee
05-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Tough call for the home leg on Thursday as we need to take the game to them but I'd play Marv.

We've lost far too many goals end of last and start of this season and bar the final 20 minutes when the game was won, we look much better defensively with Marv in the side.

These guys will be a class up from what we have faced so far and we won't go through if we concede sloppy goals.

definitely played himself into contention for thursday.............

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 06:39 PM
Would be in my starting XI every week when fit and on form.

With no Kamberi, Maclaren or Slivka?

lyonhibs
05-08-2018, 06:52 PM
With no Kamberi, Maclaren or Slivka?

Eh ? No, just in general.

05-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Brilliant game today from the big man and a strong contender for MOTM!

Carheenlea
05-08-2018, 06:59 PM
A solid midfielder who breaks up play so well and distributes the ball sensibly to our more creative players to then go at the opposition. Always seems to end up on a couple of bursts forward where you are willing him to have a shot from outside box, but always reluctant to drive so. Would like to see him have the confidence to add that to his game

supermcginn
05-08-2018, 07:01 PM
Totally agree, MM. :aok: Marv had a great game.

Same here, He's an absolute machine and we'll miss him when he leaves.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Biggest cult hero since Matty Jack and he’s better than that.......Paul Hartley! :thumbsup:

SRHibs
05-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Who?

He means Mallon I think.

matty_f
05-08-2018, 07:58 PM
He was excellent today. Marvin makes life so difficult for the opposition, and they really struggled to get going today until we were comfortably ahead.

snooky
05-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Who?

Oops! :slipper: Mallan ....... sorry, Stevie. :embarrass

J-C
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
He means Mallon I think.

Or even Mallan lol

marleyhib
05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Class today, must start against the yams 😎

Lancs Harp
05-08-2018, 08:03 PM
For me when you play a back three you need a deep lying defensive midfielder, especially if you want your back three players to come out with the ball like Efe does every week and Hanlon likes to come out too. Marv is better at breaking up play in midfield than any other player in the squad. Being productive going forward isnt his game and its not what hes in the team to do. He wins it and gives it to McGinn, Swanson, Mallan, Boyle, whoever.

abgreen
05-08-2018, 08:04 PM

Slicks was the worst man on the pitch

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Class today, must start against the yams 😎
Yeah and bring Danny on for the last five to give them the Maradona wave! :wink::thumbsup:

patlowe
05-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Bartley did well and it's great to see that we can still bring him in to do a good job. But you could see today that he is incredibly reluctant to take the ball in midfield when we are beginning passing moves. I can understand it as he doesn't have the ability of a McGeouch say, but it does stifle our ability to build from deep. Not really a criticism, he does what he does very well, it's just maybe not right for every game.

SquashedFrogg
05-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Love Marv. Horses for courses. We need him at Hibs

Greentinted
05-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Love Marvin. Ever since I heard his comments on the Time For Heroes DVD I knew that he just ‘got’ us. Yes he’s perhaps limited in terms of Dylan, SJM et-al but he’s a 100%er and when needed to do what he does he does it very well indeed.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-08-2018, 08:31 PM
He means Mallon I think.

Who? :greengrin

snooky
05-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Who? :greengrin
Our midfield today was Mullens, Mallon & Mallan.
Please keep up, BMD :wink:

SRHibs
05-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Or even Mallan lol

😉

SquashedFrogg
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Slicks was the worst man on the pitch

Wrong on a number of levels.

Lancs Harp
05-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Would love to see Marv score a goal for Hibs

Eyrie
05-08-2018, 10:00 PM

I think that would be a John Jensen moment.

Bartley got forward a few times today, but never looked like he knew what to do that far up the pitch. Quite a contrast to his usual assured self screening the defence.

Iain G
05-08-2018, 10:42 PM
Our midfield today was Mullens, Mallon & Mallan.
Please keep up, BMD :wink:

Will be improved when Allan, Alan and Allen join them in there 😉

GloryGlory
05-08-2018, 10:58 PM

I thought he was about to have a shot when he surged forward to the edge of the box, but he had an attack of the vapours, stopped, turned round and passed the ball backwards! True story. :faf:

blackpoolhibs
05-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Marv deserves his place in the squad, anyone who wants rid of him has to ask themselves who we'd get as a replacement?

Probably wont start every game, but we need more than 11 players, and he's one of those who makes up a good squad.

Inconsequential
05-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Or even Mallan lol Or McLaren...:greengrin

jacomo
05-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Slivka was awful today.

I loved Big Marv’s driving runs today... just wish he’d shoot on occasion though!

snooky
05-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Slivka was awful today.

I loved Big Marv’s driving runs today... just wish he’d shoot on occasion though!

Sorry, not a fan of Vicky. Marv everytime for me even with his 'limitations'.

jacomo
06-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Sorry, not a fan of Vicky. Marv everytime for me even with his 'limitations'.

I think there’s a player in there and he deserves a run in the side to show what he can do. Poor yesterday though.

Mallan also disappointing yesterday (aside from free kick).

keep the faith
06-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Really? I thought Mallan was very decent yesterday.

superfurryhibby
06-08-2018, 07:58 AM
Bartley showed his value to the squad with that performance yesterday. He and McGinn were the pick of the midfield. He’s a real competitor and he also drove forward effectively too. I was pleased for the big fellae that he stepped in and added something to the team. He deserves to start on Thursday.

RoYO!
06-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Wrong on a number of levels.

A bigoted elevator?

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2018, 08:12 AM
A bigoted elevator?

Haha

HibsTYT
06-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Cannot wait for Big Marv to bag himself a goal, definitely deserved.

Every team needs a Marv.

Captain Trips
06-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Big man has never let us down was called on yesterday and was excellent.

A vital member of the squad.