PDA

View Full Version : Porteous and Shaw

Dashing Bob S
05-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Going to be big stars. Was never in doubt with Porteous and against Salmon it was great to see a young player so dominant and streetwise against a battle scared veteran. Great reader of the game.

Shaw has a phenomenal work rate and is bringing a more physical aspect to his game. Lovely football brain and very decent finisher.
When young players like that come of age (as they are this season) it’s like two high level pedigree signings.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Both of them play as though they’ve got years of experience behind them, it’s amazing they’re both so young.

Porteous especially looked dominant today. A natural replacement for McGregor in the future.

porthibbie
05-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Massive boost that Lennon shows so much confidence in them ..

Paul1642
05-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Hoping Fraser Murray can join them once he is back fit

BroxburnHibee
05-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Porteous was superb. Future Scotland centre half and could go all the way in the game.

hibee_girl
05-08-2018, 04:18 PM
Both of them had great games today.

I'd have given Porteous MOTM though.

Puddocky
05-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Going to be big stars. Was never in doubt with Porteous and against Salmon it was great to see a young player so dominant and streetwise against a battle scared veteran. Great reader of the game.

Shaw has a phenomenal work rate and is bringing a more physical aspect to his game. Lovely football brain and very decent finisher.
When young players like that come of age (as they are this season) it’s like two high level pedigree signings.

I’m sure you meant bottle scarred....:wink:

GlesgaeHibby
05-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Agree, both were superb today. Was surprised at how well Boyle and Shaw worked together up top. Porteous won a few crucial headers and strolled it against two big units in Sammon and Main, he is a class act.

Hibee Mac
05-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Fantastic to have two great young talents breaking through. We're slowly bringing them into the first team nicely and they're both benefiting from it.

GordonHFC
05-08-2018, 04:57 PM
I thought Shaw's first touch was much better than it has been. Excellent performance and well worthy of man of the match.

hfc rd
05-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Both done really well today. For me Porteus in particular is the one I'm most excited about. He's going to be a big star!

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Don’t rate Oli shaw whatsoever, can’t believe they gave him MOTM today, took his goal well but lost every single header and coughed up possession repeatedly.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Don’t rate Oli shaw whatsoever, can’t believe they gave him MOTM today, took his goal well but lost every single header and coughed up possession repeatedly.

Away and rattle yourself, ridiculous post

johncrobertson@
05-08-2018, 05:15 PM

Deary me! Great youngster with huge potential - should have gone to Specsavers!

hibee_girl
05-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Seriously?? :confused:

GlesgaeHibby
05-08-2018, 05:18 PM

This place cracks me up some times. 20 year old lad, getting eased into the team and scored a few good goals for the first team so far. Lot of pressure on him today with Kamberi and McLaren on the bench and took his chance well. Linked up well with Boyle.

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Away and rattle yourself, ridiculous post

Entitled to an opinion, gone missing every time I’ve seen the lad play, some decent touches now and again but not enough there to make it at this level. Entitled to an opinion, away to “rattle” myself.

SRHibs
05-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Porteous is going to make us an absolute fortune. Not only is he a rock at the back, he’s vocal, and also pretty good on the ball. He had a couple of wayward passes throughout the game but I like that he’s going for those sorts of balls.

Billy Whizz
05-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Entitled to an opinion, gone missing every time I’ve seen the lad play, some decent touches now and again but not enough there to make it at this level. Entitled to an opinion, away to “rattle” myself.

Yes please
Got man of the match, had some great hold up play, and scored an excellent goal

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Don’t rate Oli shaw whatsoever, can’t believe they gave him MOTM today, took his goal well but lost every single header and coughed up possession repeatedly.Seriously?? He held the ball up brilliantly at times for a youngster and his 1st touch was brilliant

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
05-08-2018, 05:28 PM

Always entitled to an “opinion” but if that “opinion” is a load of ***** then folk will call you out on it

Aldo
05-08-2018, 05:29 PM

Boy had an outstanding game and when played to his strengths he was superb. Didn’t win many headers but did plenty more and the first touch and finish fir his goal was superb.

Coughed up possession??? Most players do that but his touch at times was excellent.

Opinions eh!

Meant to add I wouldn’t have given him the MOTM but he was a very close second to Ryan who I thought was outstanding today.

Did the right things at the right time (and by this I mean get rid).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snooky
05-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Is that a typo or a true description, DBS? :wink:
Porteous was outstanding today. I thought Ollie did okay.

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Yes please
Got man of the match, had some great hold up play, and scored an excellent goal

Very charitable MOTM, had some decent moments today no denying it but I just don’t think he’s got what it takes. Would be delighted for him to prove me wrong.

NOLA
05-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Hoping Fraser Murray can join them once he is back fit

I agree ☝️Murray will be top player for us

J-C
05-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Thought the two lads were excellent today, Porteous strolled it and looks a rel player, Shaw oozes class and will only get better, 2 future stars in my opinion.

seanshow
05-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Porteous is playing so solidly now I would get him in the back 3 permanently...but I can't work out who should step aside out of Ambrose, Hanlon or McGregor :cb

Danderhall Hibs
05-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Porteous is a McGregor clone. High hopes for him - imagine if he can improve with the ball at his feet - he could go to the very top.

lord bunberry
05-08-2018, 05:46 PM
What is Shaws goals to games ratio? It must be pretty decent.

Liam89
05-08-2018, 05:47 PM

So clearly either a wind up merchant or not a hibs fan.

weecounty hibby
05-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Both were excellent. They have saved Hibs a small fortune by coming through the ranks and will be in the team for years to come or will make us a lot of money at some point

TrinityHibs
05-08-2018, 05:50 PM
Very charitable MOTM, had some decent moments today no denying it but I just don’t think he’s got what it takes. Would be delighted for him to prove me wrong.

He will. I also suspect you will not prove me wrong either

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Aye, very good pal. Seen enough of him to make my mind up, obviously just don’t see what experts like your good self see.

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 05:53 PM
He will. I also suspect you will not prove me wrong either

Did I say i would? Read my post.

RyeSloan
05-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Seeing Ryan on Alba just now he sounds like a pretty sensible lad as well as a quality player. Thought he was class today and I see him being involved quite a bit more this year.

Shaw, while scoring a good goal, doesn’t look quite as comfortable / ready as Ryan but there is clearly potential there.

It’s never easy to tell if a player will ‘make it’ but Ryan looks like he’s at a level already where we can say he will and could go far.

leither17
05-08-2018, 06:08 PM

That’s enough internet for you today pal

wookie70
05-08-2018, 06:12 PM
Both were excellent. Shaw was excellent when we played ball to feet. Held off defenders and played some lovely stuff. He is one of the best finishers I have seen, so calm and relaxed when the chance comes his way. Porteous is the new Daz but with far more footballing ability. I agree with the earlier poster that the two of them are essentially bolstering the squad and will get game time. This will hopefully add to the money we can spend on high quality players.

Baw187
05-08-2018, 06:16 PM

Entitled to your opinion but it’s flawed in so many ways.

GreenOnions
05-08-2018, 06:25 PM

Sorry mate. Opinions are exactly that but to say that he lost every single header is simply wrong. Most around me thought he won most of the headers he went for today.

We've seen him score goals but I was very impressed with his hold-up and link play today as well as his success in battling for the ball in the air. My only criticism would be that he should probably have scored another goal.

dp00
05-08-2018, 06:28 PM
Thought Ryan was immense , despite his age he wasn’t afraid to have a go at efe or his other players .. future hibs captain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
05-08-2018, 06:28 PM

I find it difficult to comprehend your assessment of his performance. He won a good few headers so quite literally did not lose them all. He also held the ball up very well fir the most part. Don’t think it was a man of the match performance but certainly a good bit away from the not rated verdict. I sometimes wonder what people actually watch and see at games. Baffling.

LustForLeith
05-08-2018, 06:29 PM
I didn’t think Shaw was man of the match, but I thought he played really well. The goal will give his confidence a much needed boost

Porteous has the potential to be an absolute rock on the heart of the Hibs defence

Greentinted
05-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Both played well. However, Ryan was imperious in defence and seems to ooze class, coolness and confidence for one so young.
Watching the game back on Alba and can’t disagree with their choice of him as MOTM. He also comes over as articulate, humble and grounded. What’s not to like?

vahibbie
05-08-2018, 07:20 PM

Oh FFS. The boy had a good game not my MOTM but did very little wrong.
Porteuos was outstanding, what a great prospect the laddie is.

Unseen work
05-08-2018, 07:22 PM
If they were signed this season and were unknown we would be raving about them

calumhibee1
05-08-2018, 07:26 PM
Always entitled to an “opinion” but if that “opinion” is a load of ***** then folk will call you out on it

There’s no such thing as an opinion that’s a load of *****. The guys not posting it as fact, he’s posting it as an opinion - his thoughts, not everyone’s thoughts. I don’t agree with his opinion at all but they should be debated, not just told to go **** himself or whatever was posted.

RoscoHibby
Is porteous even 20 yet?? Absolute beast of a laddie and still so young. Thought he was just behind SJM for MOTM. Thought Shaw had a good game and like the look of him, but wasnt best on the player on pitch at all for me.

Green&White
Porteous is playing so solidly now I would get him in the back 3 permanently...but I can't work out who should step aside out of Ambrose, Hanlon or McGregor :cbAmbrose!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
05-08-2018, 07:27 PM
There’s no such thing as an opinion that’s a load of *****. The guys not posting it as fact, he’s posting it as an opinion - his thoughts, not everyone’s thoughts. I don’t agree with his opinion at all but they should be debated, not just told to go **** himself or whatever was posted.
You should read some A. J. Ayer :aok:

eastmainsmsh
05-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Both played very well

JimBHibees
05-08-2018, 07:44 PM

:faf::faf:

JimBHibees
05-08-2018, 07:51 PM

He just has proven you wrong he was brilliant today.

Eyrie
05-08-2018, 07:56 PM
I can only assume Porteous has forged his birth certificate. There is no way someone that young can be reading the game so well and consistently making the right decisions. If he keeps this up he'll be the regular starter by Christmas and gone for a massive fee in a couple of years.

Leitherhibs
05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
He just has proven you wrong he was brilliant today.

Great post.

Famous Fiver
05-08-2018, 08:05 PM
If somebody from down south comes in this week with £5 million for McGinn they might just double it and take Porteous too!!

I think he is that good and any scout worth his salt today would have been salivating over him.

He's twice the player McKenna at Aberdeen is.

ancient hibee
05-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Porteous defended well but was uncertain with the ball at his feet when given time to think about it.Much better when just doing the simple thing and continues to improve.
Shaw played very well and is learning how to look after himself when being given a rough time.Took his goal like a seasoned pro and has the confidence to move the ball around as when setting up Boyle.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Porteous will get more and more game time as the season progresses and it’s great knowing he can stand in for any of our three central defenders.

He’s not going to be first choice if they’re all available though.

Similar situation to Shaw upfront I’d imagine although I still think Lennon wants to bring in another striker.

Famous Fiver
05-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Opinions, eh!!!

Porteous would be on my team sheet every week but I am sure NL will use him wisely.

The Harp Awakes
05-08-2018, 08:32 PM
I thought both were excellent today as was John McGinn, with Louie, Hanlon and Boyle not far behind.

Shaw deserved MOM for me. He worked his socks off, and although battered by hammer throwers the whole game, he stood up to them, was strong throughout and held the ball up well. A very cool finish for the goal as well.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2018, 08:33 PM
I thought Olly Shaw was brilliant today did really well against physically superior opposition put in a shift and took his goal well still learning his trade.

Porteous still young but willing to learn indeed still learning his trade. I have already said on these threads will one day he will captain HIBS and perhaps Scotland. I thought he played very well today once again against older and more experienced opposition forwards.He is a good physical specimen for his age but perhaps needs to improve his composure on the ball something he can perhaps learn from Paul Hanlon other necessary attributes for survival as a centre half can be gleaned from Darren MacGregor a couple of his clearances were a la John MacNamee out the park for medals but there is nothing wrong with that other clearances hoofed up the park as far as he could kick it but he will learn in time to kick the ball into space preferably nearer a green jersey.

jabis
05-08-2018, 08:38 PM
While it pains me to add to his list,could we stop adding to an attention seeking poster.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Porteous was good. Be interesting to see if he stays in on Thursday.

Shaw did well but not quite sure about MOTM. Still think he needs a bit more confidence/arrogance in his game. Biggest issue for him might be getting a game when the other two are fit.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Lennon saying that McGregor will struggle playing Thurs / Sun each week because of his knee.

I’d imagine he’ll play the Euro games and Porteous the league ones.

overdrive
05-08-2018, 08:48 PM
Porteous looks like he has beefed up quite a lot over the summer. Outstanding performance aside from a couple of stray passes.

Shaw was good as well and took his goal well. My only criticism of him is that his first touch can sometimes be a bit iffy but he generally recovers quickly.

angus hibby
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Big test for Porteous today against two very physical players in Sammon and Main, and I thought he came through it with flying colours. Looks good on the ball too, and to play in the middle of a three, communication is a big part. He looks to have it all.

Shaw was good today as well, took his goal very well and work rate/hold up play good. Porteous was my MOTM though.

CockneyRebel
05-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Seeing Ryan on Alba just now he sounds like a pretty sensible lad as well as a quality player. Thought he was class today and I see him being involved quite a bit more this year.

Shaw, while scoring a good goal, doesn’t look quite as comfortable / ready as Ryan but there is clearly potential there.

It’s never easy to tell if a player will ‘make it’ but Ryan looks like he’s at a level already where we can say he will and could go far.

The laddie is improving all the time - what more do you want, an instant Aguero? He won a good few headers today and held the ball up well and is gradually getting harder to knock off the ball. He didn't score a good goal - he scored an excellent goal from a difficult chance! A work in progress for sure but definitely progressing.

Famous Fiver
05-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Billyhibs

You are not far off the mark.

I saw lots of big John MacNamee in Porteous today.

Fantastic performance. ' Out the park for medals' was a phrase I used on several occasions, especially in the last 15 minutes.

All power to the laddie's elbow.!!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Cool and calm finish by Oli. Very impressed.

Loved Porto's reaction to being barged by main or salmon (cannae mind who as they're baith slapheids) few minutes later cattles Main. Learning every game.

CockneyRebel
05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Porteous defended well but was uncertain with the ball at his feet when given time to think about it.Much better when just doing the simple thing and continues to improve.
Shaw played very well and is learning how to look after himself when being given a rough time.Took his goal like a seasoned pro and has the confidence to move the ball around as when setting up Boyle.

Excellent summary - I know we are all entitled to an opinion which is what this forum is for (or should be) but the laddie is learning and improving all the time.

inglisavhibs
05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Porteous looks like he has beefed up quite a lot over the summer. Outstanding performance aside from a couple of stray passes.

Shaw was good as well and took his goal well. My only criticism of him is that his first touch can sometimes be a bit iffy but he generally recovers quickly.

His first touch was excellent today. If he keeps progressing we have a real player on our books, he is already the best striker of his age in Scotland. High hopes for Shaw, Porteous and Murray from last seasons youth team as long as we the fans understand they will sometimes have bad games.

Onceinawhile
05-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Lennon saying that McGregor will struggle playing Thurs / Sun each week because of his knee.

I’d imagine he’ll play the Euro games and Porteous the league ones.

Didn't hear that, but that's cracking news for his development if we can get through another few rounds and he can get some guaranteed games under his belt.

ACLeith
05-08-2018, 09:12 PM

He came off his marker many times to take a pass and lay it off. He also made a few clever runs to the near post but wasn't picked out by the cross. And he scored an excellent goal. Not bad for a youngster still learning his trade?

calumhibee1
05-08-2018, 09:21 PM
You should read some A. J. Ayer :aok:

I’m not following? Something to do with positive thinking?

ben johnson
05-08-2018, 09:21 PM

Pushed , shoved and barged every time the ball came to him. As this affects your balance hence your accuracy of your lay off i thought he did very well Also he was fouled on numerous occasions after the ball was passed. Just like you he is just learning the game so i wish you both well. Main difference is he has scored for the team

RyeSloan
05-08-2018, 09:34 PM
The laddie is improving all the time - what more do you want, an instant Aguero? He won a good few headers today and held the ball up well and is gradually getting harder to knock off the ball. He didn't score a good goal - he scored an excellent goal from a difficult chance! A work in progress for sure but definitely progressing.

Aha calm doon 🤪

I merely stated he didn’t look quite as progressed as Ryan. A fair bit removed from demanding Shaw should be an Aguero!

green with envy
05-08-2018, 10:15 PM
Deary me.

Willis1875
05-08-2018, 10:19 PM

What a buffoon

makaveli1875
06-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Thought Shaw had a good game . took his goal well . played in Boyle for his goal and hit a peach through ball for Jamie Mac when he came on . He will hit double figures on the goal charts this season for sure . He's always going to be behind Flo and Jamie but good to know he can produce the goods even with neither of them on the pitch .

Danderhall Hibs
06-08-2018, 10:38 AM
Did anyone hear/see Porteous’ post match interview? Talking about Motherwell - “They’re a bit of a gang” :hilarious

Lancs Harp
06-08-2018, 10:40 AM
I thought Ollie did well. Never hides always makes himself available, got an eye for goal and is getting stronger physically. Shows how decent the squad is when you can leave your two recognised strikers out in Flo and Jamie Mac and still bag three goals.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Aye, very good pal. Seen enough of him to make my mind up, obviously just don’t see what experts like your good self see.

I think that i have seen most of his games and what i see is potential to be a decent centre forward. Not seen enough to make a decision as you have but you are right about being allowed your own opinion.

Bostonhibby
06-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Agreed. Great to see real quality coming through and getting a chance early. Porteous is ahead of his time and will go onto great things. Shaw is a guy who knows where the net is and does it more often than not when he gets the chance, he just keeps improving.

The future's green and white.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

snedzuk
06-08-2018, 11:02 AM

Hes bound to score a few spawny goals.

PatHead
06-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Hes bound to score a few spawny goals.
Porteous certainly had Salmon floundering.

snooky
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Porteous certainly had Salmon floundering.

He was solid as a rock for sure.

Sammy7nil
06-08-2018, 11:32 AM

I remember seeing Deek at young age ad thought he wont make it too light weight, I had to eat my words and then some.

I think you will have to as well :greengrin

Onion
06-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Porteous looks like the real deal. Was my MOTM. Great that Lennon can pick and choose matches for him, likely to get a few this season.

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 12:00 PM

Congratulations

I don't know how you have managed it in the sea of **** that Hibs Net has become recently but you just won the worst post of the summer contest by a handsome margin

3 possibilities:

1) you weren't at the game

2) you were so hammered you couldn't understand it

3) you wouldn't know football even if it smacked you in the puss

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 12:04 PM

:troll:

Hi Heid Yin
06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Congratulations

I don't know how you have managed it in the sea of **** that Hibs Net has become recently but you just won the worst post of the summer contest by a handsome margin

3 possibilities:

:tee hee::tee hee:

jax67
06-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Both were excellent. Shaw was excellent when we played ball to feet. Held off defenders and played some lovely stuff. He is one of the best finishers I have seen, so calm and relaxed when the chance comes his way. Porteous is the new Daz but with far more footballing ability. I agree with the earlier poster that the two of them are essentially bolstering the squad and will get game time. This will hopefully add to the money we can spend on high quality players.

It’s as you say, the composure is there, that’s what makes a finisher and Shaw has it.

Lago
06-08-2018, 12:15 PM
:top marks
Porteous was superb. Future Scotland centre half and could go all the way in the game.

grammyb111
06-08-2018, 12:24 PM
I see a lot of similarities between Porteous and McKenna at Aberdeen. Both, very strong and physical with it and neither lack pace. Both can be prone to going right to the edge of that physicality to the point that I can see both getting more yellows/reds than the average centre back, but it's probably not something you'd want to change. McKenna's distribution and composure under pressure is ahead of Porteous right now, but there's nothing to say that Porteous can't develop that side of his game in the very near future. I'd already have Porteous as a starter, but McKenna is the better player for me at the moment.

Shaw I was very pleasantly surprised at yesterday. His timing of jumping for headers last season was so bad it became almost comical. There were numerous examples of him jumping, missing the ball completely, then chasing after it. If instead he'd timed it better or just left it, he'd have been in a great position either way. Given that was so bad last year I was happy to see a vast improvement in that aspect yesterday. He's never going to be a target man, but it was good to see that noticable improvement. His finishing is very good and composure under pressure excellent (maybe teach Porteous a thing or two there), it's hard to put my finger on the 'why', but as is I don't see him as someone who will make us millions in the way I can with Porteous. Again, happy to be proved wrong.

Leitherhibs
06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Congratulations

3 possibilities:

Thanks for your excellent contribution! Who are you to tell me that my opinion is wrong? What qualifies you exactly? Just because my opinion isn't popular with the overwhelming majority on here, doesn't make it invalid - I've said on a previous post I'd love Shaw to prove me wrong, always great to see young Edinburgh lads come through and contribute to the first team, but from his multiple first team appearances, I don't think he's good enough to be a first team player for a club competing in the upper echelons of the league.

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your excellent contribution! Who are you to tell me that my opinion is wrong? What qualifies you exactly? Just because my opinion isn't popular with the overwhelming majority on here, doesn't make it invalid - I've said on a previous post I'd love Shaw to prove me wrong, always great to see young Edinburgh lads come through and contribute to the first team, but from his multiple first team appearances, I don't think he's good enough to be a first team player for a club competing in the upper echelons of the league.

Opinions are like ********s everybody has won

Like ********s some are fuller of **** than others

I think your opinion is one of the fuller ones, but you are as you say entitled to it and I am not aware that I said you weren't

Leitherhibs
06-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Opinions are like ********s everybody has won

Like ********s some are fuller of **** than others

I think your opinion is one of the fuller ones, but you are as you say entitled to it and I am not aware that I said you weren't

Didn't question entitlement, just your inflammatory response.

makaveli1875
06-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Lennon rates him and he knows more about what it takes to compete in the upper echelons than you .

Leitherhibs
06-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Lennon rates him and he knows more about what it takes to compete in the upper echelons than you .

Yes, he certainly does. That is his opinion and I've shared mine.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 01:33 PM
Opinions matter and the world would be a dull place if we all held the same opinion in fact if that was the case we would be as well closing down dotnet and throwing away the key.Unfortunately you appear to be in the minority on this one but I can see where you are coming from but the reality is Olly Shaw played extremely well yesterday under extreme duress getting pushed and barged offf the ball by more experienced defenders not always being able to release the ball as he would have liked but I felt he improved as the game developed. One goal and one assist is not a bad return if that was Jamie Mac who looked far from match fit you would be pleased. You might not rate Olly Shaw but he is a very good young striker we are lucky to have him and I hope you will continue to give him your support as long as he has represents our wonderful club where I have no doubt he will an illustrious career.Remember one thing that goal against Hearts was a goal even although as Steven Gerrard said the world is against us! :wink:

GGTTH

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Didn't question entitlement, just your inflammatory response.

Hibs must have the most greetin faced supporters in the country

I think we have very short memories, its not that long ago we had folk line Vine & Danny Haynes playing up front

I would love to have read your opinion on them

I have supported Hibs all my 55 years and there has never and I mean never in that time been a better time to be Hibs supporter (although it is a very close run thing with the Tornadoes)

Yet folk come out and lambast everything about the club and its policies and some of the players and the time it takes to do things

The negativity is endless, I read some things on here and often wonder if we are getting as hard a time on kickback as we do from our own "support"

Your post was ill informed (not one other person has agreed with it), completely lacking in objectivity and like so many posts on here completely devoid of perspective and divorced from the reality of our situation and where we stand in the food chain.

Imagine Hibs winning the Scottish Cup as a Championship club, when did either of those things last happen?

Imagine finishing 4th in our first season up and performing admirably in Europe

Imagine making the signings we have and bringing through 2 great youngsters both of whom have represented their country at the age groups they are eligible for.

Imagine one of them playing (well) and scoring on the opening day of the season

Imagine then reading your post

I am sick to the ****ing back teeth of folk criticising the club and the players and your post was the straw that broke the camel's back

I honestly wonder where the folk that do were when were losing to Alloa in the Championship?

If you get in life what you deserve, some of the moaning *******s on here would be watching Hibs play in the 3rd division

Support the club and the players and save your decrying both till you have some reason to do so.

Rant over

06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Both very promising young players. I am confident that Lennon will manage them well and give them just the right amount of game time. Important to drip feed them into the team as to not heap too much pressure on them.

Leitherhibs
06-08-2018, 01:51 PM

I think we have very short memories, its not that long ago we had folk line Vine & Danny Haynes playing up front

I have supported Hibs all my 55 years and there has never and I mean never in that time been a better time to be Hibs supporter (although it is a very close run thing with the Tornadoes)

Yet folk come out and lambast everything about the club and its policies and some of the players and the time it takes to do things

The negativity is endless, I read some things on here and often wonder if we are getting as hard a time on kickback as we do from our own "support"

Your post was ill informed (not one other person has agreed with it), completely lacking in objectivity and like so many posts on here completely devoid of perspective and divorced from the reality of our situation and where we stand in the food chain.

Imagine Hibs winning the Scottish Cup as a Championship club, when did either of those things last happen?

Imagine making the signings we have and bringing through 2 great youngsters both of whom have represented their country at the age groups they are eligible for.

I am sick to the ****ing back teeth of folk criticising the club and the players and your post was the straw that broke the camel's back

I honestly wonder where the folk that do were when were losing to Alloa in the Championship?

If you get in life what you deserve, some of the moaning *******s on here would be watching Hibs play in the 3rd division

Support the club and the players and save your decrying both till you have some reason to do so.

Rant over

On balance I think one or two folks are of a similar opinion to mine, perhaps not quite as dismissive in their language.

Take your point re the negativity on here, I think my posts are in perspective though, he's a player who in the current position we're in, in my opinion, isn't good enough - Were we still in the championship scrapping with Alloa and Dumbarton or if we had the likes of Vine and Haynes kicking around then my opinion would likely be very different.

Anyway, take it easy pal, sounds as if you might need a lie down in a darkened room after that post.

inglisavhibs
06-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Too often now.

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 01:59 PM
On balance I think one or two folks are of a similar opinion to mine, perhaps not quite as dismissive in their language.

Take your point re the negativity on here, I think my posts are in perspective though, he's a player who in the current position we're in, in my opinion, isn't good enough - Were we still in the championship scrapping with Alloa and Dumbarton or if we had the likes of Vine and Haynes kicking around then my opinion would likely be very different.

Anyway, take it easy pal, sounds as if you might need a lie down in a darkened room after that post.

if that was what you had said fine, he is a young boy making his way in the game and more importantly has made significant contributions over the past 2 seasons

I think he will continue to do so, he is still quite raw but I was encouraged yesterday by the way he stood up to the physical challenge and at times his link up play was excellent

He is great positionally and is a calm finisher, I thought he had struggled a bit in earlier games this season so yesterday was a step up.

But that is 2 in 2 competitive game starts so we cant complain too much

Sorry you bore the brunt of my frustration.

I think far too many posters on here forget it isn't FM 2018 we are doing here and it doesn't go all your way

IMO by any possible measurement Hibs are dramatically over achieving on and off the park at present yet everyday folk moan about something.

Enjoy the rest of the season and apologies again

GGTTH

SonOfDavidFrancey
06-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Watching shaw yesterday made me feel that he can learn a lot from Kamberi about playing cutely when it comes to big centre hawfs coming and clattering you from behind. Knowing when to go down etc.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Rant over

I don’t really understand why people use this site when they don’t want to read posts with a different viewpoint to theirs. Surely that’s the whole concept of the forum, for people to give opinions and many of they opinions will differ. Not just your post by the way, there has been quite a bit of it recently.

Billy Whizz
06-08-2018, 02:08 PM
I don’t really understand why people use this site when they don’t want to read posts with a different viewpoint to theirs. Surely that’s the whole concept of the forum, for people to give opinions and many of they opinions will differ. Not just your post by the way, there has been quite a bit of it recently.

I just object to someone coming on here, and panning one of our up and coming players, who had a cracking game, and got sponsors motm

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 02:20 PM

I have no problem with a different viewpoint

I have a major issue with folk endlessly crticising the club and the team

There have been times in the past when both have deserved it

This certainly isn't one of them

Stevie Reid
06-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Shaw now has 7 goals from 8 starts with Hibs. Very mature performance yesterday, good movement, all round play and took his goal really well.

Porteous looks like the real deal also. Hard as nails, up for a scrap, but pretty cultured as well - did have a few wayward attempts at long balls yesterday, but had a cracking game defensively. Carries a real threat at set pieces too. He actually has 3 goals in 6 starts.

Speedway
06-08-2018, 03:28 PM
You can decide for yourself if this is a compliment or not but Ollie reminds me of Peter Crouch in his playing style and I reckon the more crosses we stick on the penalty spot at head height, the more prolific Shaw will become.

SRHibs
06-08-2018, 03:32 PM
From what I’ve seen I’m not confident Shaw will ‘make it’ either to be honest.

Like everyone else I’d love him to, though.

Lemonade
06-08-2018, 03:36 PM
I'm certain both with make it.
Shaw has intelligence and knows where to be on the pitch.
I think Lennon likes him too and will nurture him accordingly .

J-C
06-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Shaw and Porteous have come through the system beautifully, they have a very professional approach to the game and like Stevenson, Hanlon etc will become mainstays at this club because they have the talent and the right attitude to make it. Young Shaw came back from his holidays and was in the gym bulking up and getting fit 2 weeks before the guys were due back to pre season training, that is the kind of discipline and attitude I want from my young players. Look back to players like Handling etc who played at being a pro and ask yourself why he never made it here considering he had an abundance of talent, no desire or professionalism. Lets get behind these youngsters, they're the future of our club.

Moody Blues
06-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Rant over

Totally agree with this poster. Support the young players coming through the ranks and enjoy watching them develop and mature. Of course they will have bad days as we all do at times. Both Porteous and Shaw were superb on Sunday . I sometimes think some of the posters on here don't actually go to the games and just spout a lot of negative p*** on this forum.

SanFranHibs
06-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Massive boost that Lennon shows so much confidence in them ..

Thought Lennon's post Motherwell match interview comment on Shaw was interesting.....'pleased with his all round play...he hasn't been showing it in preseason, but we have faith in him. There's goals in him'.

Great to see young lads coming through.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 04:41 PM

Rant over

What a fantastic post, although the bit i highlighted was excused for all sorts of daft reasons, yet we lose some goals in Europe and some of our players are finished, and the manager doesnt have a clue.

By all means be as pissed off as you like when we spend years struggling, then eventually go down, but FFS THESE ARE THE GOOD TIMES, ENJOY IT, THEY NEVER LAST THAT LONG.

we are hibs
06-08-2018, 04:42 PM
I think Porteous has the potential to reach a very high level within the game. His performance in a makeshift back 3 at ibrox was incredible considering it was his full league debut. He needs to work on his distribution though imo. He seemed to either lump it 70 yards into the stands to clear it or try and pass forward and had too much pace on the passes.

Shaw reminds me of maclaren in a way. Can be little involved in a game and then bang - he's scored a goal. I think his overall play needs to improve but he knows where the back of the net it which is the most important thing and his overall play will improve with experience and as he bulks up a bit.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 04:52 PM

There is different opinions and then there is just laughable bed wetting, with folk like yourself frightened of your own shadow, and no faith in the management team to do their jobs properly.

Screaming over and over again how under prepared we are, when you had no idea like the rest of us how good or bad the opposition we were playing were.

Moaning constantly about how we should have more players in because the season started when we played our first European game, not yesterday against Motherwell.

Do you honestly think our management have not done due diligence, and watched each opponents multiple times, and would know if we had enough about us to progress?

We have a management team who have done lots to stop us being the soft touch we were, its a pity some of our fans cant see this and have a bit of faith in what they know and what they keep doing.

superfurryhibby
06-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Shaw now has 7 goals from 8 starts with Hibs. Very mature performance yesterday, good movement, all round play and took his goal really well.

Porteous looks like the real deal also. Hard as nails, up for a scrap, but pretty cultured as well - did have a few wayward attempts at long balls yesterday, but had a cracking game defensively. Carries a real threat at set pieces too. He actually has 3 goals in 6 starts.

He’s obviously had a few subs appearances too, but that is an impressive stat. Shaw will fill out and get stronger, he’s only just turned 20 and has a fair bit of developing to do, but his goalscoring record makes it clear that he has that particular talent in abundance.

Folk need reminding that young players rarely come in to a team and play consistently well, especially strikers. I recall a young Paul Hanlon struggling against that big huddy Sammon and the likes of Boyd back in the Calderwood era, it was almost painful to watch. Fast forward and contrast how Hanlon deals with guys who are much bigger than him now ( assisted by the tenancious Darren).

Early days still but Shaw is one talented laddie.

As for Porteous, he’s ready now. Step up to the plate son and cement a place in the first 11.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 05:10 PM
There is different opinions and then there is just laughable bed wetting, with folk like yourself frightened of your own shadow, and no faith in the management team to do their jobs properly.

Screaming over and over again how under prepared we are, when you had no idea like the rest of us how good or bad the opposition we were playing were.

Moaning constantly about how we should have more players in because the season started when we played our first European game, not yesterday against Motherwell.

Do you honestly think our management have not done due diligence, and watched each opponents multiple times, and would know if we had enough about us to progress?

We have a management team who have done lots to stop us being the soft touch we were, its a pity some of our fans cant see this and have a bit of faith in what they know and what they keep doing.

Like I said earlier, as desperate as you seem to be to make it happen, I’m not getting back into the debate with you, everyone else was utterly fed up of it.

However, on your other point, everyone’s posts are opinions, whether you or others think it’s “bedwetting” or not. There’s not a cut off point where it goes from an opinion to something else just because they’ve strayed a certain distance away from your opinion.

People can have drastically different opinions to others, it’s allowed and they shouldn’t be lambasted for it like the guy was earlier or like I and other posters have been previously. Debate them, absolutely, but the personal digs and long winded personal rants against the posters voicing their opinions because they’re not the same as one or two or even the majority of posters opinions go against the whole point of having aforum.

SquashedFrogg
06-08-2018, 05:11 PM

This with bells on. Great post.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Like I said earlier, as desperate as you seem to be to make it happen, I’m not getting back into the debate with you, everyone else was utterly fed up of it.

However, on your other point, everyone’s posts are opinions, whether you or others think it’s “bedwetting” or not. There’s not a cut off point where it goes from an opinion to something else just because they’ve strayed a certain distance away from your opinion.

People can have drastically different opinions to others, it’s allowed and they shouldn’t be lambasted for it like the guy was earlier or like I and other posters have been previously. Debate them, absolutely, but the personal digs and long winded personal rants against the posters voicing their opinions because they’re not the same as one or two or even the majority of posters opinions go against the whole point of having aforum.

There was no debate, all it was, was you moaning about how underprepared our team were, when you had no idea what any of the teams we were playing against were like, good or bad?

Our management did, and prepared the team to win each game, and the first league game of the season.

There is not a team in Scotland, or even England who have their squads complete, and their window closes weeks before ours.

We like every other team will bring in players, i suppose Motherwell's management must have been neglecting their duties, imagine losing to a Hibs side thats so underprepared?

MWHIBBIES
06-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Don't worry mate, he will. He definitely has what it takes.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 05:59 PM
There was no debate, all it was, was you moaning about how underprepared our team were, when you had no idea what any of the teams we were playing against were like, good or bad?

Our management did, and prepared the team to win each game, and the first league game of the season.

There is not a team in Scotland, or even England who have their squads complete, and their window closes weeks before ours.

We like every other team will bring in players, i suppose Motherwell's management must have been neglecting their duties, imagine losing to a Hibs side thats so underprepared?

My post today was nothing to do with how prepared we were, which you seem to be dragging up yet again in this post for some reason as you have been on another thread, it was to do with the rising trend on here of people personally berating other posters because they simply don’t want to read certain opinions, much like the post earlier on today. The guy said he doesn’t rate Oli Shaw and was met with a ridiculous post berating him for it, telling him how it was the straw that broke the camels back and whatever else. It’s not the first time posts like that have appeared on here recently but it’s probably been the best example. I don’t agree with the guys post, but if he doesn’t rate him then he doesn’t rate him, folk should debate it and discuss it, not just tear into the guy because they don’t like reading what he (or others) have said because it doesn’t match up with their opinion.

hibsbollah
06-08-2018, 06:06 PM
I've liked Shaw since I first saw him play. I found it baffling that the very reason I liked him, the linking up and intelligent work with his teammates, was an area that other posters criticised him for :dunno:

On the other hand, there's been total consensus about Porteous I think. a blind man in a buried in a sack under twenty feet of concrete can see Porteous is a class defender who is going to be a star.

BSEJVT
06-08-2018, 06:34 PM
My post today was nothing to do with how prepared we were, which you seem to be dragging up yet again in this post for some reason as you have been on another thread, it was to do with the rising trend on here of people personally berating other posters because they simply don’t want to read certain opinions, much like the post earlier on today. The guy said he doesn’t rate Oli Shaw and was met with a ridiculous post berating him for it, telling him how it was the straw that broke the camels back and whatever else. It’s not the first time posts like that have appeared on here recently but it’s probably been the best example. I don’t agree with the guys post, but if he doesn’t rate him then he doesn’t rate him, folk should debate it and discuss it, not just tear into the guy because they don’t like reading what he (or others) have said because it doesn’t match up with their opinion.

Its a forum you express an opinion you can expect to get to held to account for it.

The person involved in it and I have posted back and forth over it and its done, in hindsight it was maybe overdone and I have apologised for it.

I thought that post was ridiculous, you thought mine was, but the only person who seems to have a continuing issue with it is you.

A throwback to our spat when I told you I was fed up hearing you bleating about lack of signings or a point scoring exercise in your spat with BH?

Frankly I don't care that much and I doubt anyone else does either.

Yet you want to rake it up.

I didn't say I didn't want to read it, what right would I have to say who can post what and who cannot.

What I did say and will repeat is that I am fed up with the continued negativity towards the club and team in what by any definition is a golden period for the club in recent history.

The absence of faith or trust in them to do the job in hand is a scary look into what the future might hold when the inevitable difficult period arise.

You seem to be trying to set what's acceptable to post or not, as an advocate of say what you want no matter how negative but don't let anyone be able to criticise you or your right to do so, I must have missed your appointment as an Admin on a well moderated board.

Those that are seem prepared to let the situation go, unsurprisingly, given your past record of trying to defend the impossible i.e. your preposterous continuous hand wringing of where are the signings which has proven to be premature to say the least, you cannot.

Most of the folk on here seem like adults, able to give it and take it and move on

Maybe you should try to also or at least grow a thicker skin or not rise to the bait so easily?

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 06:40 PM

Ok i'll be nice, do you still hold the same opinion about us being underprepared for this season, and if so, which other clubs are not under prepared?

And do you wish to hazard a guess as to why Lennon has just not brought enough players in for your liking, and what could he have done differently to hurry this process along?

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Its a forum you express an opinion you can expect to get to held to account for it.

The person involved in it and I have posted back and forth over it and its done, in hindsight it was maybe overdone and I have apologised for it.

I thought that post was ridiculous, you thought mine was, but the only person who seems to have a continuing issue with it is you.

A throwback to our spat when I told you I was fed up hearing you bleating about lack of signings or a point scoring exercise in your spat with BH?

Frankly I don't care that much and I doubt anyone else does either.

Yet you want to rake it up.

I didn't say I didn't want to read it, what right would I have to say who can post what and who cannot.

What I did say and will repeat is that I am fed up with the continued negativity towards the club and team in what by any definition is a golden period for the club in recent history.

The absence of faith or trust in them to do the job in hand is a scary look into what the future might hold when the inevitable difficult period arise.

You seem to be trying to set what's acceptable to post or not, as an advocate of say what you want no matter how negative but don't let anyone be able to criticise you or your right to do so, I must have missed your appointment as an Admin on a well moderated board.

Those that are seem prepared to let the situation go, unsurprisingly, given your past record of trying to defend the impossible i.e. your preposterous continuous hand wringing of where are the signings which has proven to be premature to say the least, you cannot.

Most of the folk on here seem like adults, able to give it and take it and move on

Maybe you should try to also or at least grow a thicker skin or not rise to the bait so easily?

You’re right, I maybe have risen to the bait from BH too easily on this occasion, but the suggestion that I can’t let it go when BH is following me around on this thread trying to revive a debate from weeks ago that has nothing to do with Shaw or Porteous or digging up a post from weeks ago, quoting it and trying to debate it again on another thread even though everyone is sick of it would suggest its not me having trouble letting it go.

Anyway, I’m not getting drawn back into another long debate.

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Would expect Lewis Allan to get a chance at some point too since he has been banging them in pre season and we have gave him an extra 2 year deal.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 06:50 PM
You’re right, I maybe have risen to the bait from BH too easily on this occasion, but the suggestion that I can’t let it go when BH is following me around on this thread trying to revive a debate from weeks ago that has nothing to do with Shaw or Porteous or digging up a post from weeks ago, quoting it and trying to debate it again on another thread even though everyone is sick of it would suggest its not me having trouble letting it go.

Anyway, I’m not getting drawn back into another long debate.

What bait, is asking a question out of order now? Is asking you to explain what you said, and give reasons why out of order or baiting now?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 08:46 PM
I've liked Shaw since I first saw him play. I found it baffling that the very reason I liked him, the linking up and intelligent work with his teammates, was an area that other posters criticised him for :dunno:

On the other hand, there's been total consensus about Porteous I think. a blind man in a buried in a sack under twenty feet of concrete can see Porteous is a class defender who is going to be a star.
I agree about Porteous tried to tell Calumhibee1 in the close season how good this young prospect was but he wanted to punt him out on loan?? As he says football is all about opinions :wink:

:faf:

Shrekko
06-08-2018, 08:51 PM
It’s always hard to tell exactly how things will work out for a young player but how anyone could watch Oli Shaw on Sunday and not at least think he has the potential to have a decent career is beyond me- not only has he come on leaps and bounds in terms of physical presence but his touch and intelligence, as well as his nose for goal stood out like nothing else. That first 45 minutes was outstanding.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 08:59 PM
It’s always hard to tell exactly how things will work out for a young player but how anyone could watch Oli Shaw on Sunday and not at least think he has the potential to have a decent career is beyond me- not only has he come on leaps and bounds in terms of physical presence but his touch and intelligence, as well as his nose for goal stood out like nothing else. That first 45 minutes was outstanding.
Posters on this thread have slagged off Olly Shaw total disgrace! A brilliant performance from one of our up and coming youngsters he has got to be pleased with one goal and one assist against a very experienced Motherwell side.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 09:19 PM
I agree about Porteous tried to tell Calumhibee1 in the close season how good this young prospect was but he wanted to punt him out on loan?? As he says football is all about opinions :wink:

I still don’t think Porteous will play every week. Absolutely not debating his ability at all, I never have, I think he’ll be outstanding for us. I do feel he’d be outstanding sooner if he was playing every week though and I don’t think he’ll do that here this season with Efe, Daz and Hanlon ahead of him. Would be more of a short term sacrifice for longer term gain by doing it. However we’d probably still need 2 more centre backs for it to even be considered and that’s not going to happen id suggest.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Posters on this thread have slagged off Olly Shaw total disgrace! A brilliant performance from one of our up and coming youngsters he has got to be pleased with one goal and one assist against a very experienced Motherwell side.

Motherwells pre season has been horrendous, they are completely under prepared for this coming season. :wink:

Shaw and Porteous are part of our squad now, someone else was on about sending Porteous out on loan this season, he's ready for us now, he was ready last season too.

Both players will get good game time this season, and it will be entirely up to them to push on and make a place in the team each week.

The signs are very good.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 09:23 PM
I still don’t think Porteous will play every week. Absolutely not debating his ability at all, I never have, I think he’ll be outstanding for us. I do feel he’d be outstanding sooner if he was playing every week though and I don’t think he’ll do that here this season with Efe, Daz and Hanlon ahead of him. Would be more of a short term sacrifice for longer term gain by doing it. However we’d probably still need 2 more centre backs for it to even be considered and that’s not going to happen id suggest.
Dazza got a dodgy knee and as I said to you at the time Porteous ain’t going nowhere HIBS interests come first. Just my opinion of course! :faf:

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Motherwells pre season has been horrendous, they are completely under prepared for this coming season. :wink:

Shaw and Porteous are part of our squad now, someone else was on about sending Porteous out on loan this season, he's ready for us now, he was ready last season too.

Both players will get good game time this season, and it will be entirely up to them to push on and make a place in the team each week.

The signs are very good.
Totally agree! Feared the worst when I saw the line ups but was pleasantly surprised as I am sure Lenny was. Motherwell are always dangerous and you can never write them off. Apart from the two youngsters I was particularly pleased with Marvin Bartleys performance. I also feel it is bad form to slag off young players on these threads especially when there is no genuine need!

calumhibee1
Dazza got a dodgy knee and as I said to you at the time Porteous ain’t going nowhere HIBS interests come first. Just my opinion of course! :faf:

And yet Daz has still played ahead of him in 80% of the competitive games this season so far. He’ll get some games this season, no doubt about it and I’d have absolutely no concerns about him playing against anyone. But I’d be surprised if we get to a point very often this season where a fit McGregor, Hanlon or Ambrose is sitting on the bench while Porteous is starting through choice. And that’s not a slight on Ryan’s ability, more just because of the high standard of very experienced centre halves we have at our disposal.

Hibs interests do come first, hence why Porteous going out, gaining experience every week rather than 10 starts a season would potentially benefit Hibs because we’d be getting a better player back than one that may sit on the bench for most of the season.

Anyway, as I said, no way we’ll be signing two centre halves at this stage which we’d probably need to do it.

Dashing Bob S

The signs are very good.

Competition for both is strong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them become fixtures.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Totally agree! Feared the worst when I saw the line ups but was pleasantly surprised as I am sure Lenny was. Motherwell are always dangerous and you can never write them off. Apart from the two youngsters I was particularly pleased with Marvin Bartleys performance. I also feel it is bad form to slag off young players on these threads especially when there is no genuine need!

I dont know why anyone would be frightened of us playing these two lads, porteous is a monster, and Shaw has a better goals per game ratio than Cummings.

This team keep raising the bar, this is a good side we are building here, built by a good manager and backroom team.

O'Rourke3
06-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Competition for both is strong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them become fixtures.Within fine margins Lennon will have a favoured starting eleven Both these young players will be playing or alternatives off the bench. May not start many games but they'll finish many. I thought Shaw led the line very well yesterday and had added a bit of nouse to his game. Had he had to replace Flo on Thursday he may have given some of the doubters cause to reflect.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
And yet Daz has still played ahead of him in 80% of the competitive games this season so far. He’ll get some games this season, no doubt about it and I’d have absolutely no concerns about him playing against anyone. But I’d be surprised if we get to a point very often this season where a fit McGregor, Hanlon or Ambrose is sitting on the bench while Porteous is starting through choice. And that’s not a slight on Ryan’s ability, more just because of the high standard of very experienced centre halves we have at our disposal.

Hibs interests do come first, hence why Porteous going out, gaining experience every week rather than 10 starts a season would potentially benefit Hibs because we’d be getting a better player back than one that may sit on the bench for most of the season.

Anyway, as I said, no way we’ll be signing two centre halves at this stage which we’d probably need to do it.
Still think you are missing the point Porteous will be a fixture sooner than you think! Porteous and Shaw will get plenty of game time due to injuries loss of form and suspensions.
Yes we could do with some new recruits some question marks starting to appear over Whittaker, Ambrose and MacGregor Porteous is in for the long haul and is a future Captain of HIBS and Scotland.
No point getting involved in a debate with you as you just repeat the same stuff over and over but hey it is a forum and Porteous is going nowhere try telling that to Lenny he will laugh you out of the office!

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Still think you are missing the point Porteous will be a fixture sooner than you think! Porteous and Shaw will get plenty of game time due to injuries loss of form and suspensions.
Yes we could do with some new recruits some question marks starting to appear over Whittaker, Ambrose and MacGregor Porteous is in for the long haul and is a future Captain of HIBS and Scotland.
No point getting involved in a debate with you as you just repeat the same stuff over and over but hey it is a forum and Porteous is going nowhere try telling that to Lenny he will laugh you out of the office!

Neither you nor me know when Porteous will be a regular starter for Hibs. If we are going to persist with playing 3 at the back we probably need another centre half, who’s to say they won’t come in ahead of Porteous? If we’re not going to persist with 3 at the back then we probably don’t need another, but that would leave two on the bench and most likely reducing his game time. However, If he’s going to be a regular starter for Hibs this season (even though he’s only started one out of five so far) then of course you wouldn’t loan him out.

If you can get me an appointment with Lenny then I’d love to ask him if he’s ever considered it and we’ll both laugh our heads off about it. We might even look like this guy that you seem to like so much :faf: :faf: :faf:

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Imagine loaning him out, and then having to sign someone who's probably not as good to replace him? :confused:

Shaw has taken over from Murray, and Porteous and Shaw will play lots of games this season.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:03 PM
Imagine loaning him out, and then having to sign someone who's probably not as good to replace him? :confused:

Shaw has taken over from Murray, and Porteous and Shaw will play lots of games this season.

If we’re going to persist with 3 at the back then we’ll probably need to sign another centre half. Why would a new CB definitely not be as good as him? And if we’re not going to sign 3 then we’ll probably not need a new one, but that would give Ryan even less games than playing a 3 will IMO.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:06 PM
Neither you nor me know when Porteous will be a regular starter for Hibs. If we are going to persist with playing 3 at the back we probably need another centre half, who’s to say they won’t come in ahead of Porteous? If we’re not going to persist with 3 at the back then we probably don’t need another, but that would leave two on the bench and most likely reducing his game time. However, If he’s going to be a regular starter for Hibs this season (even though he’s only started one out of five so far) then of course you wouldn’t loan him out.

If you can get me an appointment with Lenny then I’d love to ask him if he’s ever considered it and we’ll both laugh our heads off about it. We might even look like this guy that you seem to like so much :faf: :faf: :faf:
Appointment with Lenny no problem I am Green Blood!

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 10:08 PM
If we’re going to persist with 3 at the back then we’ll probably need to sign another centre half. Why would a new CB definitely not be as good as him? And if we’re not going to sign 3 then we’ll probably not need a new one, but that would give Ryan even less games than playing a 3 will IMO.

Lets loan Porteous out then, and sign 2 centre halfs, i mean it will help us in the long run wont it?

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Lets loan Porteous out then, and sign 2 centre halfs, i mean it will help us in the long run wont it?

If Porteous is going to go through this season as 4th choice centre half as he currently is then I think it would be beneficial to Hibs and Ryan Porteous in the long run, yes.

Out of interest, do you think by the end of the season we’ll have a fit McGregor, Hanlon or Ambrose on the bench because they can’t get in the team ahead of Porteous? Genuine question, I don’t think we will. Again, not because of his ability, but more because of the wealth of talent and experience the other 3 have.

GGTTH07
06-08-2018, 10:22 PM
He’ll be our main defender by the end of the season IMO.

B.H.F.C
06-08-2018, 10:24 PM
If Porteous is going to go through this season as 4th choice centre half as he currently is then I think it would be beneficial to Hibs and Ryan Porteous in the long run, yes.

Out of interest, do you think by the end of the season we’ll have a fit McGregor, Hanlon or Ambrose on the bench because they can’t get in the team ahead of Porteous? Genuine question, I don’t think we will. Again, not because of his ability, but more because of the wealth of talent and experience the other 3 have.

Porteous will play 20 plus games this year, minimum.

McGregor can’t play multiple times a week. The other two will miss games through injuries and suspensions.

If Porteous does well he will stay in. It’s not as if the back 3 have been solid off late, including the end of last season.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Porteous will play lots of games.

I have no idea who will be fit or suspended, but Porteous will play lots of games. I just cant get round your theory of loaning out players who are good enough to play in THIS team now.

We loan him out, and you already think we need another centre half, so we now need to bring in two centre halves. Shaw will be 3rd 4th choice, do we loan him out too and sign a replacement too?

And of course both have had substantial time out on loan already.

How much money do you think we have?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:31 PM
To sign two centre half’s and put Porteous out on loan is pure NUTS! We might be flush with cash if we sell SJM but I cannot see RP or LD signing off a cheque for two centre half’s let alone one. Has this become a joke thread?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:34 PM
I have no idea who will be fit or suspended, but Porteous will play lots of games. I just cant get round your theory of loaning out players who are good enough to play in THIS team now.

We loan him out, and you already think we need another centre half, so we now need to bring in two centre halves. Shaw will be 3rd 4th choice, do we loan him out too and sign a replacement too?

Agree 100% Calumhibee1 theory is bonkers

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Porteous will play 20 plus games this year, minimum.

McGregor can’t play multiple times a week. The other two will miss games through injuries and suspensions.

If Porteous does well he will stay in. It’s not as if the back 3 have been solid off late, including the end of last season.

I hope he does, he needs to be playing games at this point of his career to progress into the player we want him to be but I’m not sure about 20 appearances. We would have had to deal with injuries, suspensions etc last season and he only made 9, I’m not sure how many of which were sub appearances?. For him to be getting to 20 he’d probably need to move above one of the current three in the pecking order. I’m not sure the other 3 are ready to be dislodged yet.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:40 PM

The theory being that they’re only going to get better by playing games. He played 9 last year due to injuries and suspensions, not sure how many of them were sub appearances. He needs to be playing more games than that to fulfill his potential, or at least he would fulfill it quicker if he was playing every week than playing 9 again this season.

Teams contribute to the wages/take on the full wage of players they take on loan.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:41 PM
To sign two centre half’s and put Porteous out on loan is pure NUTS! We might be flush with cash if we sell SJM but I cannot see RP or LD signing off a cheque for two centre half’s let alone one. Has this become a joke thread?

You do realise that teams take on the wages or at least significant parts of it for loan players don’t you?

SideBurns
06-08-2018, 10:41 PM
It would be crazy for Hibs to strengthen a competitor (Porteous is past the stage of playing in the lower leagues so it'd need to be a PL team) by loaning them, arguably, our best prospect from the development set up. Paul, Daz, and Efe will pick up injuries and suspensions between them, and of course one or other might just lose form. In any of those scenarios, we'll need Ryan and it'll be up to him to take his chance.

Luckily, I don't think the idea will have entered Lenny's mind for as much as a second.

B.H.F.C
06-08-2018, 10:44 PM
I hope he does, he needs to be playing games at this point of his career to progress into the player we want him to be but I’m not sure about 20 appearances. We would have had to deal with injuries, suspensions etc last season and he only made 9, I’m not sure how many of which were sub appearances?. For him to be getting to 20 he’d probably need to move above one of the current three in the pecking order. I’m not sure the other 3 are ready to be dislodged yet.

He’s made four appearances already (granted two were as a late sub) and the season has only just started. Every chance McGregor comes back in on Thursday with Porteous coming back in on Sunday. Same again next week.

Worth remembering that we didn’t really play with a three for the first half of last season and Fontaine was still on the books.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:45 PM
It would be crazy for Hibs to strengthen a competitor (Porteous is past the stage of playing in the lower leagues so it'd need to be a PL team) by loaning them, arguably, our best prospect from the development set up. Paul, Daz, and Efe will pick up injuries and suspensions between them, and of course one or other might just lose form. In any of those scenarios, we'll need Ryan and it'll be up to him to take his chance.

Luckily, I don't think the idea will have entered Lenny's mind for as much as a second.

I’m sure it probably hasn’t :greengrin but we also had to contend with these things last season and he only made 9 appearances. Not a lot of room for progression for your star prospect.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 10:46 PM
The theory being that they’re only going to get better by playing games. He played 9 last year due to injuries and suspensions, not sure how many of them were sub appearances. He needs to be playing more games than that to fulfill his potential, or at least he would fulfill it quicker than playing 9 again this season.

Teams contribute to the wages/take on the full wage of players they take on loan.

He's already been out on loan, now he needs more loan time away playing at a lower level against weaker opposition.

Yip i agree now, you are right. Lets see which 2 new defenders Lennie brings in, i personally cant wait.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:48 PM
He's already been out on loan, now he needs more loan time away playing at a lower level against weaker opposition.

Yip i agree now, you are right. Lets see which 2 new defenders Lennie brings in, i personally cant wait.

Why would he go on loan to a lower level? I’d suggest nearly every Scottish Premiership team outside the top 4 would love to have him.

I’m glad you’re looking forward to the new signings. 👍🏼 You didn’t answer me question earlier, do you see us getting to a point this season where Daz, Efe or Hanlon is sitting on the bench fully fit because they can’t get in the team ahead of Porteous?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Are you for real?
Hanlon could get injured suspended or lose form
MacGregor good chance injured good chance suspended even if loses form would still play him Mr HIBS especially versus Hearts
Ambrose unlikely injured but maybe suspended unlikely but maybe form might have an Efe moment and cost us but you never know that is why we love him.
That is why Porteous goes nowhere need him as back up and to step in to establish himself. I already painted you a picture back in June this is now August!
:wink:

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Are you for real?
Hanlon could get injured suspended or lose form
MacGregor good chance injured good chance suspended even if loses form would still play him Mr HIBS especially versus Hearts
Ambrose unlikely injured but maybe suspended unlikely but maybe form might have an Efe moment and cost us but you never know that is why we love him.
That is why Porteous goes nowhere need him as back up and to step in to establish himself. I already painted you a picture back in June this is now August!
:wink:

You do realise that literally all they things you just mentioned were also applicable last season and yet he only made 9 appearances?

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:52 PM
You do realise that teams take on the wages or at least significant parts of it for loan players don’t you?
Don’t know what you are on about no one going out on loan no one coming in imo!

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 10:53 PM
You do realise that literally all they things you just mentioned were also applicable last season and yet he only made 9 appearances?
New year new career natural order !

jacomo
06-08-2018, 10:55 PM

He absolutely did not go missing v Motherwell.

He raged a 90 minute battle against their defence.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 10:57 PM
New year new career natural order !

And yet the evidence so far this season would suggest that’s not the case. When we need our strongest back 3 playing, the “natural order” has been the same as last season.

blackpoolhibs
06-08-2018, 11:02 PM
Why would he go on loan to a lower level? I’d suggest nearly every Scottish Premiership team outside the top 4 would love to have him.

:faf: Do you realise i can actually see what you have typed. So he's good enough for anyone bar the top 4, yet we should be loaning him out rather than playing him ourselves.

I’m glad you’re looking forward to the new signings. 👍🏼 You didn’t answer me question earlier, do you see us getting to a point this season where Daz, Efe or Hanlon is sitting on the bench fully fit because they can’t get in the team ahead of Porteous?

I see him playing a big part in our season, and it wouldnt surprise me to see him break into the team. I dont see him replacing Hanlon, but i do see him getting lots of game time in front of Efe and Daz during the season, either through suspensions injuries and team rotation.

Unless of course we bring in 2 new centre halves and send him out on loan to the jambos.:faf:

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 11:03 PM
And yet the evidence so far this season would suggest that’s not the case. When we need our strongest back 3 playing, the “natural order” has been the same as last season.
Not this season it ain’t already leaking too many goals Lenny will not tolerate it.

Just out of interest in your grand scheme of things what two centre half’s would you suggest we bring in?

It is way past my bed time but will sit up as I cannot wait for your reply :wink:

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 11:11 PM
I see him playing a big part in our season, and it wouldnt surprise me to see him break into the team. I dont see him replacing Hanlon, but i do see him getting lots of game time in front of Efe and Daz during the season, either through suspensions injuries and team rotation.

Unless of course we bring in 2 new centre halves and send him out on loan to the jambos.:faf:

I've got no idea what the bit you've added into my quoted post is on about.

If you see him breaking into the team ahead of one of the three then fair enough. I don't fancy his chances yet due to there being three very decent but also hugely experienced centre halves currently playing ahead of him. Once Porteous has the experience he'll probably be on their level, if not better. But he needs to get the experience first to be able to do that. 9 appearances (presumably at least half of them as sub) isn't the kind of amount of appearances that are going to give him that.

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 11:18 PM
Not this season it ain’t already leaking too many goals Lenny will not tolerate it.

Just out of interest in your grand scheme of things what two centre half’s would you suggest we bring in?

It is way past my bed time but will sit up as I cannot wait for your reply :wink:

You say he won't tolerate it but the most farcical defensive display in recent memory against the team from the Faroes was due to McGregor and Hanlon being out. Not really an argument for putting Porteous in ahead of either of them when the whole defence fell to bits when they two were taken out (and Porteous was also part of that defence, although from memory I can't remember him being directly at fault for any of the goals).

I have no idea what centre halves we should sign, I'm not a scout or football manager, exactly the same as you. But we've done fairly well with our signing of centre halves recently so I'm sure we will manage to find another decent one if we're currently looking for one to add to the squad (which I would say we should be).

J-C
06-08-2018, 11:38 PM

We have Ambrose, Daz, Hanlon, Porteous and even Gray who can all play in a back 3, then we have either Gray, Boyle and the lad Blake for the wingback right, Lewis and young Mackie for wingback left, add to the mix young Stirling and Waugh and I think we're well covered for all the defensive positions...oh and Whittaker also. Defence is the last of our worries.

Inconsequential
07-08-2018, 12:36 AM
What a fantastic post, although the bit i highlighted was excused for all sorts of daft reasons, yet we lose some goals in Europe and some of our players are finished, and the manager doesnt have a clue.

By all means be as pissed off as you like when we spend years struggling, then eventually go down, but FFS THESE ARE THE GOOD TIMES, ENJOY IT, THEY NEVER LAST THAT LONG. Yes indeed Blackpoolhibs it was a great rant! These are the best of times for Hibs and let's hope it continues for many seasons. I have lived through 3 relegations supporting Hibs but finally the potential of the club is being realised... it has been a long , long wait.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 06:25 AM
You say he won't tolerate it but the most farcical defensive display in recent memory against the team from the Faroes was due to McGregor and Hanlon being out. Not really an argument for putting Porteous in ahead of either of them when the whole defence fell to bits when they two were taken out (and Porteous was also part of that defence, although from memory I can't remember him being directly at fault for any of the goals).

I have no idea what centre halves we should sign, I'm not a scout or football manager, exactly the same as you. But we've done fairly well with our signing of centre halves recently so I'm sure we will manage to find another decent one if we're currently looking for one to add to the squad (which I would say we should be).
Safe to say I think we can draw a line under that fluke of a match played under horrible conditions on a terrible surface at the start of the season in a lose lose situation.Lessons were learned but thankfully we pulled through but the final outcome never in doubt. I seem to remember Porteous being blamed for one goal when he allowed the ball to bounce leaving the No 10 a clear run on goal.The general consensus on here was that Porteous was let down by the senior professionals around him.:wink:

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Safe to say I think we can draw a line under that fluke of a match played under horrible conditions on a terrible surface at the start of the season in a lose lose situation.Lessons were learned but thankfully we pulled through but the final outcome never in doubt. I seem to remember Porteous being blamed for one goal when he allowed the ball to bounce leaving the No 10 a clear run on goal.The general consensus on here was that Porteous was let down by the senior professionals around him.:wink:

Forgetting the Porteous debate for a minute, if you feel our defence has been shaky lately but you want to discount that game due to the circumstances then why do you feel that way? If it’s because of the Killie and Rangers games at the tail end of last season then surely an allowance needs to be made for they games because of the nature of the results we required, especially the Rangers game where we needed to score 6, we were always going to play with reckless abandonment. When you take they two games out we had one of the best defences in the league last year, not exactly a defence that’s showing signs of struggling?

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Forgetting the Porteous debate for a minute, if you feel our defence has been shaky lately but you want to discount that game due to the circumstances then why do you feel that way? If it’s because of the Killie and Rangers games at the tail end of last season then surely an allowance needs to be made for they games because of the nature of the results we required, especially the Rangers game where we needed to score 6, we were always going to play with reckless abandonment. When you take they two games out we had one of the best defences in the league last year, not exactly a defence that’s showing signs of struggling?
Hibs 5v5 The Rangers HIBS 5 v 3 Killie Both highly entertaining games against The Rangers Porteous not listed HIBS 3-0 up threw caution to the wind left gaps at the back pushing forward Huns got a couple of lucky deflections to bring them back into the game both sets of fans gave both teams a standing ovation at the end of the game which tells a story.
Hibs v Killie Porteous unused sub marking on fatboy Boyd might have been better but once again great entertainment and hey we won!
We can draw a line under the Faroes game because a full strength HIBS team firing on All cylinders at maximum output would blow them away 6-0 home and away which is another reason why signing any of their players was laughable the gap between professional and part time football is huge.
Porteous stays and as previously pointed out he will be a fixture in our side before you know it!

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Hibs 5v5 The Rangers HIBS 5 v 3 Killie Both highly entertaining games against The Rangers Porteous not listed HIBS 3-0 up threw caution to the wind left gaps at the back pushing forward Huns got a couple of lucky deflections to bring them back into the game both sets of fans gave both teams a standing ovation at the end of the game which tells a story.
Hibs v Killie Porteous unused sub marking on fatboy Boyd might have been better but once again great entertainment and hey we won!
We can draw a line under the Faroes game because a full strength HIBS team firing on All cylinders at maximum output would blow them away 6-0 home and away which is another reason why signing any of their players was laughable the gap between professional and part time football is huge.
Porteous stays and as previously pointed out he will be a fixture in our side before you know it!

So what is it that makes you feel our defence is showing signs of creaking? We had one of the best defences in the country last season, I don’t see any reason why the 3 members of that defence will be dropping out of it any time soon for Porteous to become a fixture.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 07:39 AM

Read nearly every post you post during or after each game we've played this season, and the knee jerk reactions to whatever bad thing that happens is laughable.

The away game in the faroes was indeed a cracker, when you and others slaughtered them all, from the keeper to the left winger. No excuses here like Porteous not playing a single game this season, and having played all summer for the 21s, and come back injured.

Yet here we are into the 3rd round of the europa league qualifiers, won our first game in the league comfortably, all with a team who should be better prepared, and have loaned out its best central defending prospect that i can remember.

There is digging holes and there is digging holes, you need a much bigger spade.

Its as if Neil Lennon does not know what he's doing?

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 07:47 AM
Oh and i can just imagine how mad you would have been if we had loaned out Porteous, as maybe just maybe we may not have signed any new centre half yet.

As the ones Lenny was looking at were still weighing up their options. and the noise that was being made because we might have to play Ollie Saw up front on his own in Greece because Flo might have been injured and we'd SOLD Murray leaving us short was funny.

Imagine how underprepared we'd have been on Sunday if that had happened, if what you wanted had happened, what would you have to say about that, imagine we'd played David Gray at centre half, you wouldnt be able to contain yourself.

I'm not sure Lennon really knows what he's doing.

Diclonius
07-08-2018, 07:48 AM
We have four excellent centre backs at this club. Signing one is the last thing we need to do.

We usually play 3 at the back so Porteous will get an extended run soon enough.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 07:52 AM
So what is it that makes you feel our defence is showing signs of creaking? We had one of the best defences in the country last season, I don’t see any reason why the 3 members of that defence will be dropping out of it any time soon for Porteous to become a fixture.
They will drop out through injury suspension and loss of form and we need cover.

We will need a big squad for the season ahead.

Porteous going nowhere! Do you want me to draw you a picture AGAIN?

You just keep spouting the same stuff on here everyday. Change your record. I am sure you just say daft things on here to wind people up to get a reaction

PORTEOUS STAYS:wink:

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Read nearly every post you post during or after each game we've played this season, and the knee jerk reactions to whatever bad thing that happens is laughable.

The away game in the faroes was indeed a cracker, when you and others slaughtered them all, from the keeper to the left winger. No excuses here like Porteous not playing a single game this season, and having played all summer for the 21s, and come back injured.

Yet here we are into the 3rd round of the europa league qualifiers, won our first game in the league comfortably, all with a team who should be better prepared, and have loaned out its best central defending prospect that i can remember.

There is digging holes and there is digging holes, you need a much bigger spade.

Its as if Neil Lennon does not know what he's doing?

I very much doubt my posts after the first game in Europe, the last game in Europe or the game at the weekend we’re negative knee jerk reactions. That’s 3 out of 5, so the idea that after every game I’ve posted negative knee jerk reactions is nonsense.

The game away in the Faroes was horrendous defensively and it’s not a surprise people were criticising the fact we conceded 4 goals to a part time team. I was negative at half time of the game against Tripoli’s at home because we looked to be heading out of Europe through 2 pish goals to lose. After the game I wasn’t particularly negative I’m sure, I actually remember a poster starting a thread telling other Hibs fans to get it up them and mentioning how I’d be going out to celebrate a great win.

So let’s not make up stuff eh?

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:03 AM
They will drop out through injury suspension and loss of form and we need cover.

We will need a big squad for the season ahead.

Porteous going nowhere! Do you want me to draw you a picture AGAIN?

You just keep spouting the same stuff on here everyday. Change your record. I am sure you just say daft things on here to wind people up to get a reaction

PORTEOUS STAYS:wink:

Hang on, I keep posting the same stuff yet when I ask you why you feel our current back 3 is showing signs of creaking even though it was one of the best in the country last season you keep posting PORTEOUS STAYS and something about drawing pictures which is totally unrelated to the question I’ve asked? Yet I’m the one who’s posting the same stuff/daft things?

J-C
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM
I very much doubt my posts after the first game in Europe, the last game in Europe or the game at the weekend we’re negative knee jerk reactions. That’s 3 out of 5, so the idea that after every game I’ve posted negative knee jerk reactions is nonsense.

The game away in the Faroes was horrendous defensively and it’s not a surprise people were criticising the fact we conceded 4 goals to a part time team. I was negative at half time of the game against Tripoli’s at home because we looked to be heading out of Europe through 2 pish goals to lose. After the game I wasn’t particularly negative I’m sure, I actually remember a poster starting a thread telling other Hibs fans to get it up them and mentioning how I’d be going out to celebrate a great win.

So let’s not make up stuff eh?

Jeez man do you never friggin stop.

The away game to Runavik we had a makeshift back 3 which will probably never play as a 3 again, Lennon even said after both games that he treated those 3 games like pre season friendlies, obviously because he was confident of getting through against them even with a makeshift team.

Against Asteras Lennon set the team up all wrong by playing Slivka as a wingback and Whittaker in the middle, this caused Ambrose to be exposed because Slivka...wait for it , isn't a wingback and Whittaker's legs have totally gone. He realised his mistake and moved Slivka to the middle and put Gray on as wingback, voila we had the perfect balance and scored 3 goals. You also seem to forget that Asteras are a pretty decent team and reached the group stages in seasons 14-15 & 15-16.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Jeez man do you never friggin stop.

The away game to Runavik we had a makeshift back 3 which will probably never play as a 3 again, Lennon even said after both games that he treated those 3 games like pre season friendlies, obviously because he was confident of getting through against them even with a makeshift team.

Against Asteras Lennon set the team up all wrong by playing Slivka as a wingback and Whittaker in the middle, this caused Ambrose to be exposed because Slivka...wait for it , isn't a wingback and Whittaker's legs have totally gone. He realised his mistake and moved Slivka to the middle and put Gray on as wingback, voila we had the perfect balance and scored 3 goals. You also seem to forget that Asteras are a pretty decent team and reached the group stages in seasons 14-15 & 15-16.

I don’t stop, no. Much like some other posters don’t either.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Hang on, I keep posting the same stuff yet when I ask you why you feel our current back 3 is showing signs of creaking even though it was one of the best in the country last season you keep posting PORTEOUS STAYS and something about drawing pictures which is totally unrelated to the question I’ve asked? Yet I’m the one who’s posting the same stuff/daft things?
I have never said our back three has showed signs of creaking. I am happy with it.Happy with Porteous as back up.
We won’t be signing two new centre half’s anytime soon and we won’t be lending Porteous out to anyone.
Is there not something more useful you could be doing with your time like a job or something or is your full time job winding up posters on here 24/7?

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:30 AM
I have never said our back three has showed signs of creaking. I am happy with it.Happy with Porteous as back up.
We won’t be signing two new centre half’s anytime soon and we won’t be lending Porteous out to anyone.
Is there not something more useful you could be doing with your time like a job or something or is your full time job winding up posters on here 24/7?

Ok, you’ve said they’re leaking goals and that the “natural order” has changed, presumably because of the fact they’re leaking goals. Not a lot different from saying the defence has started creaking or whatever.

Again, I’ve not mentioned Porteous on loan for a good few posts as I’ve been asking you about our current back 3 yet you’re still mentioning it in your replies to me. So who is the one that’s really posting the same stuff over and over?

If you’re getting wound up by it then maybe you should take a step back from hibs.net.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Ok, you’ve said they’re leaking goals and that the “natural order” has changed, presumably because of the fact they’re leaking goals. Not a lot different from saying the defence has started creaking or whatever.

Again, I’ve not mentioned Porteous on loan for a good few posts as I’ve been asking you about our current back 3 yet you’re still mentioning it in your replies to me. So who is the one that’s really posting the same stuff over and over?

If you’re getting wound up by it then maybe you should take a step back from hibs.net.

You and others were sheiting yourself with the thought of Shaw up top on his own last week, even though it never even happened.

What would you have said if Porteous was away on loan, and Daz was injured on Saturday, especially considering how unprepared the club is in your opinion?

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:41 AM
You and others were sheiting yourself with the thought of Shaw up top on his own last week, even though it never even happened.

What would you have said if Porteous was away on loan, and Daz was injured on Saturday, especially considering how unprepared the club is in your opinion?

Yup, we we’re. Just because it didn’t happen doesnt mean it shouldn’t have been a concern that we could potentially have been going with a young laddie up top on his own in a European game, the concern didn’t come to fruition but it could easily have went against us if Flo hadn’t made it.

I would have said play the guy we signed at CB because Porteous was out on loan. Obviously you wouldn’t loan him out before you had a replacement. Anyway, he won’t be going out on loan, it was something I said months ago and it wasn’t said that we should definitely send him out on loan, it was more of a ‘it wouldn’t be the worst for his development if he did’. Which I still stand by as an idea IF he plays a similar amount as he did last season as I reckon it would be a year he could have spent better developing playing ever week. Like I said, that’s IF he doesn’t play more frequently this year.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Yup, we we’re. Just because it didn’t happen doesnt mean it shouldn’t have been a concern that we could potentially have been going with a young laddie up top on his own in a European game, the concern didn’t come to fruition but it could easily have went against us if Flo hadn’t made it.

It didnt happen though???????

I would have said play the guy we signed at CB because Porteous was out on loan. Obviously you wouldn’t loan him out before you had a replacement. Anyway, he won’t be going out on loan, it was something I said months ago and it wasn’t said that we should definitely send him out on loan, it was more of a ‘it wouldn’t be the worst for his development if he did’. Which I still stand by as an idea IF he plays a similar amount as he did last season as I reckon it would be a year he could have spent better developing playing ever week. Like I said, that’s IF he doesn’t play more frequently this year.

What if the guy we signed as Porteous's replacement was injured, are you not worried about that?

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 08:55 AM
What if the guy we signed as Porteous's replacement was injured, are you not worried about that?

You can be concerned about things that may not unfold you know? Have you never been concerned about ANYTHING in your life for it not to happen at all, or it to not be as bad as you first thought? If it turns out that way do you ridicule yourself for it?

If he did get injured then we’d be in the exact same position we’re in now numbers wise if one of our defenders gets injured. Hence why I’ve said before if we’re going to continue playing a 3 then I reckon we need another one in.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Then we’d be in the exact same position we’re in now numbers wise if one of our defenders gets injured. Hence why I’ve said before if we’re going to continue playing a 3 then I reckon we need another one in.

What happens if 2 are injured, how many players do we sign? And when do we start to introduce those who are coming through from the development squad?

You are frightened of what if's, i'm glad Lennon and his team keep raising the bar and proving the doubters like you wrong.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:11 AM
What happens if 2 are injured, how many players do we sign? And when do we start to introduce those who are coming through from the development squad?

You are frightened of what if's, i'm glad Lennon and his team keep raising the bar and proving the doubters like you wrong.

If two are injured then we play 3 of the 5 we have available and have nobody/a youth on the bench. Do teams that play with one one striker only sign one striker and not worry about what will happen if they get injured or suspended, because it’s just a “what if”? That’s essentially what your arguement is for not signing a second backup centre half, just a bit more of an extreme example?

If we played a back 4 I’d say 4 CBs is enough. If you play a 3 then all it takes is a bad injury and you’ve nobody on the bench for numerous games.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:21 AM

I am not the one under pressure from fellow posters on this topic you appear to be the one out of line with everyone else on this topic. Time to take a long hard look in the mirror and have a word with yourself! 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 09:24 AM
If two are injured then we play 3 of the 5 we have available and have nobody/a youth on the bench. Do teams that have one striker only sign one striker and not worry about what will happen if they get injured or suspended, because it’s just a “what if”? That’s essentially what your arguement is for not signing a second backup centre half, just a bit more of an extreme example?

If we played a back 4 I’d say 4 CBs is enough. If you play a 3 then all it takes is a bad injury and you’ve nobody on the bench for numerous games.

I'd not be against us signing another defender, but we get back to you wanting one of the best prospects sent out on loan, when he will play lots of games for us THIS season.

Loan him out and we'd need 2 new defenders, something that would have us more under prepared, something that would leave us needing to bed in 2 players who've never played for us before, yet you want us to challenge in European games, and challenge for 2nd in the league.

Chopping and changing the team as much as you want, was a direct result of us struggling, and when you consider we still need to replace McGeouch and more than likely McGinn.

This all gets back to you being frightened of your own shadow, as we will sign players, we will bring in players for those positions we are light on, we just wont have signed them as quickly as you'd like, although we have done well enough without your panic buying cry's, its as if Lennon knows more about this transfer system than you.

And not once have you ever answered the question put to you about why Lennon has not signed those positions you want filled quicker?

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:26 AM
I am not the one under pressure from fellow posters on this topic you appear to be the one out of line with everyone else on this topic. Time to take a long hard look in the mirror and have a word with yourself! 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬🏆

Under pressure?

Long hard look in the mirror and have a word with myself?

You do realise this is a forum don’t you? I’m sorry to tell you this but I’m not going to stand and give myself a telling off in the mirror because Billy from the internet doesn’t agree with me.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Under pressure?

You do realise this is a forum don’t you? I’m sorry to tell you this but I’m not going to stand and give myself a telling off in the mirror because Billy from the internet doesn’t agree with me.
Not just me by all accounts 😂

PatHead
07-08-2018, 09:30 AM
You can be concerned about things that may not unfold you know? Have you never been concerned about ANYTHING in your life for it not to happen at all, or it to not be as bad as you first thought? If it turns out that way do you ridicule yourself for it?

If he did get injured then we’d be in the exact same position we’re in now numbers wise if one of our defenders gets injured. Hence why I’ve said before if we’re going to continue playing a 3 then I reckon we need another one in.
Problem is Callum, that you worry about everything and then keep repeating yourself. Just say we did loan Porteous out. What quality of player would come to Easter Road knowing that they were going to sit on the bench and then drop further down the pecking order once Ryan returned? What if they actually turned out to be good and sent Ryan further down the pecking order? A loan just wouldn’t work and our budget would be better spent elsewhere. It is up to Ryan to make the most of his opportunities and make a place his own.

J-C
07-08-2018, 09:31 AM
I'd not be against us signing another defender, but we get back to you wanting one of the best prospects sent out on loan, when he will play lots of games for us THIS season.

Loan him out and we'd need 2 new defenders, something that would have us more under prepared, something that would leave us needing to bed in 2 players who've never played for us before, yet you want us to challenge in European games, and challenge for 2nd in the league.

Chopping and changing the team as much as you want, was a direct result of us struggling, and when you consider we still need to replace McGeouch and more than likely McGinn.

This all gets back to you being frightened of your own shadow, as we will sign players, we will bring in players for those positions we are light on, we just wont have signed them as quickly as you'd like, although we have done well enough without your panic buying cry's, its as if Lennon knows more about this transfer system than you.

And not once have you ever answered the question put to you about why Lennon has not signed those positions you want filled quicker?

Because they're not a priority. :greengrin

You'll always get panic/doom and gloom merchants G, the more you argue the more he'll keep fighting his corner, the brick wall won't crumble by continually banging your head against it.

Also why wold we loan out a squad player? he showed on sunday he'll be an important player for us, I think I'll put my trust in Lennon on this one.:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Not just me by all accounts 😂

Have you given yourself that telling off yet? 😂

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:32 AM

As I’ve said, I’ve never actively said he SHOULD be loaned out, I said it wouldn’t be the worst for his development if he wasn’t going to be a regular this season like he wasn’t last season. A short term sacrifice for longer term gain if you will. If he is going to play significantly more than last season then that would obviously be pointless. But people are so matter of fact that he will play so much more this season due to injuries, suspensions and loss of form. We had to contend with them last season and he made 9 appearances, why will the same circumstances go against us so much more this season?

I’ve said to you yesterday I’m not getting into the debate about the length of time it’s taking us to sign players again, everyone on the forum was sick of it yet you seem intent on getting it going again. I’ve not mentioned it for ages hence why you had to go back weeks to quote it on another thread. I’ll pass this time.

jacomo
07-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Madness to loan out Ryan Porteous.

He will surely play a big part this season.

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 09:38 AM
As I’ve said, I’ve never actively said he SHOULD be loaned out, I said it wouldn’t be the worst for his development if he wasn’t going to be a regular this season like he wasn’t last season. A short term sacrifice for longer term gain if you will. If he is going to play significantly more than last season then that would obviously be pointless. But people are so matter of fact that he will play so much more this season due to injuries, suspensions and loss of form. We had to contend with them last season and he made 9 appearances, why will the same circumstances go against us so much more this season?

I’ve said to you yesterday I’m not getting into the debate about the length of time it’s taking us to sign players again, everyone on the forum was sick of it yet you seem intent on getting it going again. I’ve not mentioned it for ages hence why you had to go back weeks to quote it on another thread. I’ll pass this time.

I will keep mentioning it, because you never once said what we should have done to bring players in earlier, or that we were prepared enough for each part of the season we've encountered so far.

Imagine how mad you will be, if we sign (see there's that if again) all the players we need and we slump to a bottom 6 place, ffs you are frightened to death when we are doing well, i'd be hiding the knifes and the rope when we are pish again.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Problem is Callum, that you worry about everything and then keep repeating yourself. Just say we did loan Porteous out. What quality of player would come to Easter Road knowing that they were going to sit on the bench and then drop further down the pecking order once Ryan returned? What if they actually turned out to be good and sent Ryan further down the pecking order? A loan just wouldn’t work and our budget would be better spent elsewhere. It is up to Ryan to make the most of his opportunities and make a place his own.

I wasn’t actively suggesting he should go out on loan when I mentioned it a couple of months ago before it was dug up again for some reason yesterday. I said if he wasn’t going to play then it would maybe be more beneficial for his development and following on from that, beneficial to us if he did. If he’s going to make a lot more than 9 appearances this season then obviously he’ll do some developing here.

Surely if we sent Ryan out on loan and signed better that would be a good thing? We all want youth players coming through but at the end of the day we all want a good team on the pitch even more. Whoever we signed would maybe be poorer, but they’d be a backup and it would be a short term sacrifice for a long term gain, again, only if Ryan was going to be sitting around the single/just into double figures mark of appearances. If he’s going to make 20+ appearances as people seem so confident of then he can develop here. I just can’t see where there’ll be 20 games that Daz, Efe or Hanlon are missing and I’m not sure he’ll take over them in the pecking order because they’re very good experienced centre halves.

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:42 AM
I will keep mentioning it, because you never once said what we should have done to bring players in earlier, or that we were prepared enough for each part of the season we've encountered so far.

Imagine how mad you will be, if we sign (see there's that if again) all the players we need and we slump to a bottom 6 place, ffs you are frightened to death when we are doing well, i'd be hiding the knifes and the rope when we are pish again.

You can keep mentioning it all you want pal, I’m not going round in circles with you again about it, we spent long enough doing that a month ago and everyone was fed up of it. Not sure why you’re trying to revive a discussion about new signings on a thread about Porteous and Shaw aswell but hey ho, I’ll leave it at that.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Under pressure?

Lost count of the number of posters on here that say you repeat yourself seems to be a common thread 😂

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Lost count of the number of posters on here that say you repeat yourself seems to be a common thread 😂

And yet this is your third post to me without me even replying to your previous two. You missing me or something?

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 09:52 AM
You can keep mentioning it all you want pal, I’m not going round in circles with you again about it, we spent long enough doing that a month ago and everyone was fed up of it. Not sure why you’re trying to revive a discussion about new signings on a thread about Porteous and Shaw aswell but hey ho, I’ll leave it at that.

Of course you will leave it at that, as you cant answer it without looking like a panic merchant, even though we are having some of the best times in some of our lives.

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:52 AM
And yet this is your third post to me without me even replying to your previous two. You missing me or something? It’s common trend btw.

Just enjoying the banter mate that’s all 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Of course you will leave it at that, as you cant answer it without looking like a panic merchant, even though we are having some of the best times in some of our lives.

Aye that’ll be it. 😘

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Just enjoying the banter mate that’s all 😁👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬

I’m sure we can have plenty more in the future 😘

BILLYHIBS
07-08-2018, 09:58 AM
I’m sure we can have plenty more in the future 😘

Look forward to it by then Porteous maybe a permanent fixture 😁👍🏾

calumhibee1
07-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Look forward to it by then Porteous maybe a permanent fixture 😁👍🏾

Fingers crossed!

makaveli1875
12-08-2018, 04:42 PM
Another good show from the young lads today , If Shaw keeps scoring at this rate other teams will be starting to lookat him .. hope he's on a decent contract . I can see the 2 of them playing a bigger part this season than most folk expected .
Hopefully wee Fraser Murray can kick on with them i always thought he looked the best of the 3

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Its like we've signed 2 good players for free. :thumbsup:

bigwheel
12-08-2018, 04:55 PM

BH. You've been posting sensible, positive and constructive things for a while now....cmon man....admit it..who is using your logo on. [emoji23][emoji23]

Ps. I agree...good additions for the first team squad..can play any time required...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hfc rd
12-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Both players look undroppable just now which is great! Taken the chance that NL has given them

HoboHarry
12-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Said before that I'm a little surprised that a bigger club hasn't put a bid in for Porteous as one for the future....

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2018, 04:58 PM
BH. You've been posting sensible, positive and constructive things for a while now....cmon man....admit it..who is using your logo on. [emoji23][emoji23]

Ps. I agree...good additions for the first team squad..can play any time required...

:greengrin i never shy away from having a pop at the club when its crap, but these are the good times, enjoy them. :thumbsup:

bigwheel
12-08-2018, 04:59 PM
:greengrin i never shy away from having a pop at the club when its crap, but these are the good times, enjoy them. :thumbsup:

I've noticed that...fair play!!

It is indeed...there will be ups and downs but the progress and quality is so much higher than a few seasons ago...joy to witness...

Bay Area Hibees
12-08-2018, 05:45 PM

I doubt he's spending any time proving you wrong.

Shrekko
12-08-2018, 06:13 PM
Both young lads terrific again today. Shaw at present is our best striker.

MWHIBBIES
12-08-2018, 06:31 PM
3 goals in 3 starts for Ollie now. Imagine how good he'd be if he had what it takes though...

Dancehibs
12-08-2018, 06:35 PM
3 goals in 3 starts for Ollie now. Imagine how good he'd be if he had what it takes though...
Be good if he gets to that level to make it. For me if playing two strikes it’s oli and Flo. McLaren short of match fitness

superfurryhibby
12-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Aye, all he does is score goals. About time he started bullying defenders, developing his all round game and learning how to bring others into the play. Just turning 20 and breaking into the first team is no excuse, after all by then Joe Baker had scored a hundred goals blah, blah. Probably better sending him out on loan this season etc, etc..

J-C
12-08-2018, 07:15 PM
Another good show from the young lads today , If Shaw keeps scoring at this rate other teams will be starting to lookat him .. hope he's on a decent contract . I can see the 2 of them playing a bigger part this season than most folk expected .
Hopefully wee Fraser Murray can kick on with them i always thought he looked the best of the 3

Pretty sure both just signed 4 year deals in January or thereabouts.

Hi Heid Yin
12-08-2018, 07:17 PM

:agree::agree:

CapitalGreen
12-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Comparing homegrown strikers at 20 years and 5 months:

Derek Riordan - 20 games, 3 goals
Oli Shaw - 27 games, 8 goals
Garry O’Connor - 61 games, 21 goals
Steven Fletcher - 119 games, 29 goals

Billy Whizz
12-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Interesting stats. Shows that big and strong ones get opportunities earlier

bookert
12-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Are these starts?

CapitalGreen
12-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Are these starts?

No all appearances.

makaveli1875
12-08-2018, 07:43 PM
No all appearances.

Out of interest what are kenny millers stats at that age

chrisski33
12-08-2018, 07:44 PM

Both tbh

CapitalGreen
12-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Out of interest what are kenny millers stats at that age

Kenny Miller - 53 games, 14 goals

BILLYHIBS
12-08-2018, 07:58 PM

How did Jase stack up? I remember he was a slow starter making his debut in the October and scoring his first two in the play off away to Hamilton in the May? :wink:

CapitalGreen
12-08-2018, 08:33 PM
How did Jase stack up? I remember he was a slow starter making his debut in the October and scoring his first two in the play off away to Hamilton in the May? :wink:

Jason Cummings - 83 games, 38 goals

Tornadoes70
12-08-2018, 09:19 PM
Porteous and Shaw are undoubtedly worthy of first team inclusion and will go on to have many years of playing at the top level if maintaining their progress.

MagicSwirlingShip
13-08-2018, 02:33 AM

Albeit the majority of which came playing in a lower league.

greenlex
13-08-2018, 04:11 AM
Said before that I'm a little surprised that a bigger club hasn't put a bid in for Porteous as one for the future....

Celtic did a few seasons back

BILLYHIBS
13-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Thanks for taking the time to look that up. It looks quite impressive but as another poster states in a lower league. Quite a few against the Hearts though and could easily have got up to 1:2 ratio if taking all his chances but the same could be said for the others. I took the liberty of looking up King Dom and he was 43 games 17 goals.

:thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 07:38 PM
To bawheid This!

Stand by your bed :greengrin

bawheid
25-08-2018, 07:45 PM
To bawheid This!

Stand by your bed :greengrin

:greengrin

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2018, 07:50 PM