PDA

View Full Version : Don’t sell John McGinn.

Pages : [1] 2

Ozyhibby
05-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Not unless an amazing offer comes in. He’s worth too much to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael
05-08-2018, 03:04 PM
That appears to be Hibs stance so far, to be fair.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
05-08-2018, 03:05 PM
Don’t Sell McGinn, Super John McGinn, I just don’t think you understand... if you sell McGinn, Super John Mcginn, you’re gonna have a riot on your hands!!

Sir David Gray
05-08-2018, 03:17 PM
Anything less than £5 million shouldn't even be worthy of a reply from Hibs.

Absolute joy to watch today.

RIP
05-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Leeann was only ever going to accept an offer if it met two criteria:-

1. Too much money to refuse and
2. Early enough in the transfer window to buy a replacement

That’s why Celtic’s tactics have been derisory from day 1. They wrongly assumed we wanted to sell to them.

They are so misguided

Jim44
05-08-2018, 03:25 PM
At the half time commentary on Radio Scotland they were raving about McGinn, saying that he’s a snip at £4m. They reckoned there was surprisingly little interest from England maybe because there’s a snobbery with them where they want to spend £20m on a player and are turning up their noses at a few million for a Scorttish player. Interesting to see if there’s any movement early this week.

SeanWilson
05-08-2018, 03:55 PM
100% do all we can to just keep him on improved terms or let his contract run. He's the difference.

Jim44
05-08-2018, 04:07 PM
100% do all we can to just keep him on improved terms or let his contract run. He's the difference.

If he goes, I think we have the quality to continue to do well and will strengthen, but we definitely won’t be as good or as successful without him.

norhfc
05-08-2018, 04:11 PM
When he went off I was thinking please don’t let that be his last game. Old enough to know the economics but it will hurt if he goes.

hibee_girl
05-08-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm very much leaning towards keeping him here this season and letting him go for free in the summer if need be, he's worth more to us on the pitch right now.

BT58
05-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Awesome performance today. If and when he goes he will be badly missed. M.OT.M for me.
B

green day
05-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Not unless an amazing offer comes in. He’s worth too much to us.

Every person sitting round me today said the same thing :agree:

Losing him ahead of Thursday will be such a kick in the nads, even if it a massive bid he will leave such a hole in the midfield (and on todays performance Slivka aint quite ready for the step up to that role).

For me, it has to be a truly enormous sum of money (£6-7m which wont happen), plus at least one of the buying clubs other midfielders on loan for the season.

murray26
05-08-2018, 05:01 PM
I wouldn’t even think about selling him before Thursday and would be quite happy to see him leave for nothing at the end of the season..

Jim44
05-08-2018, 05:08 PM
I wouldn’t even think about selling him before Thursday and would be quite happy to see him leave for nothing at the end of the season..

100%. One more successful season with a totally committed boiler house and I would be happy to see him shape his future with the team of his choice, even if it’s a bad choice. :greengrin

The Modfather
05-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Maybe we should bombard him with adoration on social media begging him to sign a new deal. McLaren mentioned it as a factor in his return 😀

yonder1875
05-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Whatever happens with him, I'll always love the guy. He's given Hibs so much, more than any other player since I've been old enough to really watch Hibs (I'm 23) :agree:

hfc rd
05-08-2018, 05:26 PM
I'm very much leaning towards keeping him here this season and letting him go for free in the summer if need be, he's worth more to us on the pitch right now.

I'm also leaning towards that as well now.

judas
05-08-2018, 05:30 PM
I don’t think we should let him go, because we don’t have that driving force kind of a player within our ranks at the moment and I don’t see any replacements. My honest belief is that Hibs may tank after losing this guy - maybe not right away, but over the course of the season.

And don’t say Slivka is the answer.

Mon Dieu4
05-08-2018, 05:33 PM
I've never seen a player with so much speculation about him kick on and got even better, he is the real deal and we should just thank ourselves lucky we once had him, different class imo

WoreTheGreen
05-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Whatever happens with him, I'll always love the guy. He's given Hibs so much, more than any other player since I've been old enough to really watch Hibs (I'm 23) :agree:

I said today sometimes you see a opposition player like Gazza Laudrup Laursen and stand back and admire. Well for me SJM is that bracket

Hibeewilly
05-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Ideal scenario is keep him but make him a really good offer to extend his contract by a year. We cant really afford to let a valuable asset like John leave for nothing.....that would be crazy. He has always said he would look after Saints and us so all he has to to is extend. If he wants to go then that's another story but nothing I have seen suggests that

Hibeewilly
05-08-2018, 05:38 PM
I don’t think we should let him go, because we don’t have that driving force kind of a player within our ranks at the moment and I don’t see any replacements. My honest belief is that Hibs may tank after losing this guy - maybe not right away, but over the course of the season.

He most certainly isn't

Fuzzywuzzy
05-08-2018, 05:39 PM
They were saying on sportsound that there was a large number of scouts in the stand today to watch John. When he goes, I hope we get a decent price and he goes on to bigger and better things

LustForLeith
05-08-2018, 05:45 PM
I might have missed something but have we offered him a new deal that he’s rejected?

My_Wife_Camille
05-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Absolutely love how Hibs are standing their ground over this so far. If he goes for free at the end of the season then so be it, we’ll have had our money worth. The guy is pure gold for us and I’d love it if we got another year from him.

Greenfly
05-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Very much in favour of keeping him unless really silly money is offered. I'm impressed not just by his sublime skills but by how well he's handled all this - rather than throwing his toys out and stropping about his "big move" as so many others have done. I hope he stays for this season even though it will leave us with no cash for him because it would have to be a hell of a lot of cash to be worth his contribution to this team over a season - a top quality player who's constantly getting better.

Jim44
05-08-2018, 06:54 PM
From Kerrydale Street:

Had a great game today apparently. English scouts out in force (so it says).

He's exactly the type of player we should be picking up from the SPL. Any other league in the world we are looking at a fee north of £10 Million in the current climate. I'm not suggesting we should pay over the odds but I'm almost certain he'll end up with us, either now or in January.

Just pay his true value and close your 78 page thread about a player you are ‘indifferent’ about. Cheapskates.

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Keep him tell them all to bolt unless it is an offer we can’t refuse we would also have to find a similar / adequate replacement ????

BroxburnHibee
05-08-2018, 06:59 PM
If he was playing in an English team he'd be priced at 15-20 million. Celtc can ram it.

greenlex
05-08-2018, 07:00 PM
One things for sure. If we still gave him in January and his performance level remains the same we will still get at least 3 million even with just a few months of his contract left. Someone will pay to get him ahead of next summer.

Jim44
05-08-2018, 07:02 PM

He most certainly isn't

Maybe Slivka isn’t the answer but discussions like this are unfair to Slivka and undermine his value as a very important part of our squad. :cb

AgentDaleCooper
05-08-2018, 07:02 PM
I would rather have john mcginn for a year than anything under £5million. Even over that, it would be a huge wrench - i absolutely love him.

bingo70
05-08-2018, 07:08 PM
All this talk of SJM to Celtic is a bit pointless isn’t it?

They gave us their very very very very very very very final offer and gave us a deadline which has now passed, as we had the cheek to refuse this very very kind offer they’ll be moving on to someone else now.

Nakedmanoncrack
05-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Celtic clearly aren't that desperate to get him, and the interest from England from likes of Blackburn is unlikely to be tempting, Brighton or any other Premiership team possibly a different matter.

I'd rather gamble on selling him in January, if he performs well between now and then his value may not drop as much as people think, and he might be willing to do same to get the kind of offer he deserves.

scoopyboy
05-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Heard today from a very reliable source he doesn't want to leave Hibs.

B.H.F.C
05-08-2018, 08:30 PM

If there is any truth in that it’s probably the best thing ever posted on here. The thought of McGinn not being at Hibs upsets me.

However, if a bid is accepted and he gets offered 25k a week I still think he might change his mind!

Jim44
05-08-2018, 08:30 PM

There may be an element of truth there but the fact remains that, to further his career, he has to leave Hibs. What it does suggest is that he won’t be too upset if Celtic continue to think they can get him on the cheap and are told to stuff it.

I'm_cabbaged
05-08-2018, 08:35 PM

Does he want to sign a new contract though??

houstonhibbee
05-08-2018, 08:38 PM
why doesn't he sign a new improved contract that is purportedly being offered then?

05-08-2018, 08:40 PM
One things for sure. If we still gave him in January and his performance level remains the same we will still get at least 3 million even with just a few months of his contract left. Someone will pay to get him ahead of next summer.

I was thinking the same myself, his game seems to have gone up a level and if he is still with us when the Scottish transfer window shuts then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of English clubs keep a close eye on him between now and January. I can see him going for at least that sort of price if a couple of EPL clubs want him.

scoopyboy
05-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Does he want to sign a new contract though??

Don't know, he does love life at Hibs but we all know he will leave at some point.

I would wager he would have mixed emotions if he left on Thursday before 5pm, he will want to play on Thursday night.

scoopyboy
05-08-2018, 08:44 PM
why doesn't he sign a new improved contract that is purportedly being offered then?

You tell me, I don't know anything about a new improved contract but it appears you might.

Sir David Gray
05-08-2018, 08:45 PM
If John McGinn extends his contract and we sign Brandon Barker on a permanent deal, I won't be responsible for my actions.

I'm_cabbaged
05-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Don't know, he does love life at Hibs but we all know he will leave at some point.

I would wager he would have mixed emotions if he left on Thursday before 5pm, he will want to play on Thursday night.

Aye, it’s a mare situation tbh. He needs to move on though, that’s no question. Just hope he makes the right choice!

allmodcons
05-08-2018, 08:52 PM

Based on what you've been told, do you think there is a chance he'd sign a new contract?

Golden Bear
05-08-2018, 08:54 PM
If John is offered and signs a much improved contract then it would send a great message to guys like Porteous. Play well, win trophies, gain international recognition, - all can be achieved at our great Club. Go on Hibs, you know it makes sense.

CLASS OF 72 -73
05-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Can believe that but concern is he is a Celtic fan and that the draw is too strong to go there Like Griffiths to us. I sincerely hope he goes to an EPL club and the miserable tic lose out.

Carheenlea
05-08-2018, 08:56 PM
We couldn’t afford to buy a player for £3M, but we have a player under contract who is at the very least worth that, and a few million more, but we don’t desperately need the transfer fee that Celtic have tabled at present. Really hoping he stays.

chrisski33
05-08-2018, 08:57 PM
I have a feeling John will be gone this week sadly and today was his last game

snooky
05-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Heard from a reliable source that the fans don't want him to leave too. Maybe we can convince him to sign a new contract if a full house on Sunday sings ..... :singing: (to second verse)

"Oh Lennie won't mind (bap bap shoo waddy waddy) and Petrie won't mind (bap bap shoo waddy waddy) if you give us another chance, oh yeh and si-i-i-i-ign"
"Oh won't you stay, just a little bit longer, Oh please please plea-se, say you will, and stay with Hibs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMHGyaa7GFU

weecounty hibby
05-08-2018, 08:58 PM
A years extension and staying at ER playing at the level he is at the moment will see the very best clubs in England interested.
John, sign another year and stuff celtic, you're better than a club who undervalue you. You are loved by everyone at Hibs. celtic and their fans don't appear to be that interested in you

Jamesie
05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Like many have said, there's a danger that we'd all be left saying 'what if' should it be the case that today was McGinn's last game and I really hope he ultimately signs a year's extensipn - the boost that would give to an already buoyant feel good factor around the club right now would be immense.

I would also be reluctant to write Slivka off in the manner that some may be very quick to do - let's given him a run of half a dozen starts in the middle first and see what emerges from that.

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 09:03 PM
If he plays on Thursday does that effectively mean that he’s either going to Celtic by the end of the month or he’s staying with us till the end of the season?

I guess another option would be a contract extension.

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2018, 09:11 PM
If he plays on Thursday does that effectively mean that he’s either going to Celtic by the end of the month or he’s staying with us till the end of the season?

I guess another option would be a contract extension.Or going abroad.

Just putting it out there [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Deansy
05-08-2018, 09:12 PM
I would much prefer that Hibs challenge Septic in the league instead of improving them - **** em !

hibee_girl
05-08-2018, 09:12 PM

It just means he’ll not be going to England

Liam Henderson should have a word with him about how good playing abroad is :greengrin

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Hmm, teams from Europe that play in blue.........

greenlex

Staying with us. Celtic have withdrawn their bestest offer after they were telt.

Diclonius
I've never seen a player with so much speculation about him kick on and got even better, he is the real deal and we should just thank ourselves lucky we once had him, different class imo

He actually seems to have gotten better since the speculation started.

Ozyhibby
05-08-2018, 09:14 PM
English clubs can still bring in loan deals after Thursday. We could possibly loan him to a club with a commitment from them that they buy him officially in January?

Jim44
05-08-2018, 09:15 PM
We couldn’t afford to buy a player for £3M, but we have a player under contract who is at the very least worth that, and a few million more, but we don’t desperately need the transfer fee that Celtic have tabled at present. Really hoping he stays.

If the unthinkable happens and LD and RP take the ‘Tic money and run, I think they will live to regret it for years to come. Something tells me that they will stare Celtic out on this occasion.

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Hmm, teams from Europe that play in blue.........Inter

WhileTheChief..
05-08-2018, 09:17 PM
^^^Give it a day or two and the Sun will have SJM linked to them!

B.H.F.C
05-08-2018, 09:18 PM
English clubs can still bring in loan deals after Thursday. We could possibly loan him to a club with a commitment from them that they buy him officially in January?

Does that include cross border loans?

CropleyWasGod
05-08-2018, 09:21 PM
^^^Give it a day or two and the Sun will have SJM linked to them!Don't Linfield play in Blue?

And would that mean that he couldn't play against us in the Europa league groups?

Hibs4185
05-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Give him 10K a week- £500k for the year, to sign a 1 year deal.

Benefit being we get him for 1 more season, he gets the same money and we recoup our investment of £500k with a bigger fee in a year.

Anything less than £4 million is a travesty

jacomo
05-08-2018, 09:30 PM

:agree:

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2018, 09:37 PM

I guess another option would be a contract extension.Pretty much yeah...if he's still here beyond 5pm Thursday mate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tonyrougier123
05-08-2018, 10:36 PM
Was reading on twitter about 3.5mill for sjm from brighton and ppl saying who you could get in,no being funny but in order to replace someone like sjm we need to reinvest alot of it back in to his position in the team,nae point plundering the free market for another sjm no gonny happen.I hope targets are identified in that respect so we can keep taking steps forward as a club no sell your best player and take two steps back.

Smartie
05-08-2018, 10:45 PM
I think that Slivka could be a decent replacement.

He's not yet at the same level, but a season or two playing regularly at this level and I think he'd get there.

The fans would need to be patient though, and I don't know if we have it in us.

Hibeewilly
05-08-2018, 10:52 PM

He most certainly isn't

Maybe Slivka isn’t the answer but discussions like this are unfair to Slivka and undermine his value as a very important part of our squad. :cb
What I was saying Jim is that there is no way that Slivka would be a direct replacement for SJM.....different type of player. Slivka is a decent player and this is a big year for him....he needs to progress and show how good he can be

tomf
05-08-2018, 11:19 PM
I posted the following a few months back when West Ham were showing an interest and I updated it recently to include a bit more detail but I now note that I've heard more than one pundit say almost the same thing...

I would honestly rate SJM at £10million. I appreciate that sounds fanciful to many people but he is an international player, he is young, he has great skills and it is really difficult to get the ball off him without fouling him. He can make defence splitting passes and can score goals. I think that many EPL clubs would be grateful to get such a player and I would imagine it would be a five year contract, which makes my valuation more realistic. Please don't let's sell John cheap. The Scottish leagues shouldn't be seen as the bargain basement of world football. It was over ten years ago that Sunderland paid £9million for a Scottish goalkeeper and I would suggest that, if that was a fair price, then inflation and the international football transfer market would easily see JM valued around the same if not more. Just to update this post, from what I can gather, if you consider the price paid for the last fifteen midfielders bought by EPL clubs, the average price is over £25million per player. I simply don't believe that SJM is only worth less than £3million when he could easily be rated as good as many of them. I appreciate John may have ambitions beyond Hibernian but I hope he has an agent who can offer sensible advice. Sign another contract with Hibs and keep on impressing everyone with your performances and the big clubs will come looking and they will pay a more realistic price. I appreciate that Celtic are a big club but they have a very small minded approach to valuing players in our domestic league. If Armstrong was worth £7.16million isn't John worth the same at the very least? Apparently not to Celtic. They have done Scottish football a disservice because it gives the impression that all an EPL club need to do is offer a little over£3million and they would have one of the best midfield players in the UK. For info the players in question are... CHEIKHOU KOUYATE WEST HAM to CRYSTAL PALACE 10.6M, JOAOMOUTINHO AS MONACO to WOLVERHAMPTON 5.04M, FELIPE ANDERSON LAZIO to WEST HAMUNITED 34.2M, JORGINHO NAPOLI to CHELSEA 51.3M, XHERDAN SHAQIRI STOKE CITY toLIVERPOOL 13.23M, JEAN MICHAEL SERI NICE to FULHAM 17M, MATTEO GUENDOUZILORIENT to ARSENAL 9M, LUCAS TORREIRA SAMPDORIA to ARSENAL 27M, RIYAD MAHREZLEICESTER CITY to MANCHESTER CITY 68M, DAVID BROOKS SHEFFIELD UNITED toBOURNEMOUTH 10.17M, BOBBY REID BRISTOL CITY to CARDIFF 11.2M, STUART ARMSTRONG CELTIC to SOUTHAMPTON 7.16M, FRED SHAKHTARDONETSK to MANCHESTER UNITED 53M, JAMES MADDISON NORWICH CITY to LEICESTERCITY 22.5M, FABINHO AS MONACO to LIVERPOOL 45M

I'd like to know how many of these players you would rate as better than SJM? I really hope that, if we have to sell John, two or three EPL teams come knocking and the bids get more realistic.

tonyrougier123
06-08-2018, 12:24 AM
I posted the following a few months back when West Ham were showing an interest and I updated it recently to include a bit more detail but I now note that I've heard more than one pundit say almost the same thing...

I would honestly rate SJM at £10million. I appreciate that sounds fanciful to many people but he is an international player, he is young, he has great skills and it is really difficult to get the ball off him without fouling him. He can make defence splitting passes and can score goals. I think that many EPL clubs would be grateful to get such a player and I would imagine it would be a five year contract, which makes my valuation more realistic. Please don't let's sell John cheap. The Scottish leagues shouldn't be seen as the bargain basement of world football. It was over ten years ago that Sunderland paid £9million for a Scottish goalkeeper and I would suggest that, if that was a fair price, then inflation and the international football transfer market would easily see JM valued around the same if not more. Just to update this post, from what I can gather, if you consider the price paid for the last fifteen midfielders bought by EPL clubs, the average price is over £25million per player. I simply don't believe that SJM is only worth less than £3million when he could easily be rated as good as many of them. I appreciate John may have ambitions beyond Hibernian but I hope he has an agent who can offer sensible advice. Sign another contract with Hibs and keep on impressing everyone with your performances and the big clubs will come looking and they will pay a more realistic price. I appreciate that Celtic are a big club but they have a very small minded approach to valuing players in our domestic league. If Armstrong was worth £7.16million isn't John worth the same at the very least? Apparently not to Celtic. They have done Scottish football a disservice because it gives the impression that all an EPL club need to do is offer a little over£3million and they would have one of the best midfield players in the UK. For info the players in question are... CHEIKHOU KOUYATE WEST HAM to CRYSTAL PALACE 10.6M, JOAOMOUTINHO AS MONACO to WOLVERHAMPTON 5.04M, FELIPE ANDERSON LAZIO to WEST HAMUNITED 34.2M, JORGINHO NAPOLI to CHELSEA 51.3M, XHERDAN SHAQIRI STOKE CITY toLIVERPOOL 13.23M, JEAN MICHAEL SERI NICE to FULHAM 17M, MATTEO GUENDOUZILORIENT to ARSENAL 9M, LUCAS TORREIRA SAMPDORIA to ARSENAL 27M, RIYAD MAHREZLEICESTER CITY to MANCHESTER CITY 68M, DAVID BROOKS SHEFFIELD UNITED toBOURNEMOUTH 10.17M, BOBBY REID BRISTOL CITY to CARDIFF 11.2M, STUART ARMSTRONG CELTIC to SOUTHAMPTON 7.16M, FRED SHAKHTARDONETSK to MANCHESTER UNITED 53M, JAMES MADDISON NORWICH CITY to LEICESTERCITY 22.5M, FABINHO AS MONACO to LIVERPOOL 45M

I'd like to know how many of these players you would rate as better than SJM? I really hope that, if we have to sell John, two or three EPL teams come knocking and the bids get more realistic.

I remember when gordon went for 9mill I thought although it was hearts, its good to see the best scottish goalie go for an amount that is justified by his talents,sjm is the same for me best scottish talent and that also justifies what your saying about valuation.

SRHibs
06-08-2018, 02:27 AM

1. He has less than a year on his contract.
2. He’s untested at Championship and EPL level so teams see him as higher risk.

Stuart Armstrong has played consistently in the Champions League and Europa, on a title winning team. I agree SJM is better but thems the breaks.

BILLYHIBS
06-08-2018, 05:48 AM
Just looking at the guy playing he does not look like a player that wants to leave!

If he is a Celtic fan and I am sure he is given his family history and he wants to sign for the smellies above any other club I am sure he would be happy to run down his contract sign a precontract and still give us 100% because that is the type of guy he is he is SUPER JOHN MCGINN!

He seems to have bought into our club and knows what we are about ...playing football the way it should be played and never forget he will forever be a Scottish Cup winning legend!

:not worth

Greenworld
06-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Benefit being we get him for 1 more season, he gets the same money and we recoup our investment of £500k with a bigger fee in a year.

Anything less than £4 million is a travestyMake that a 2 year extension a 5 million release clause .
I've no idea if anything has been offered by Hibs to stay if there has it won't be of that level.
It's a real shame for the guy there should be a list of great teams for him to go to but there's not so why?
What is going on here clubs note there interest to Hibs then nothing why?
Not one bid apart from celtic who by all accounts have removed there offer.
I'm amazed the performances he is putting in with all this hanging on him .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hibee Abroad
06-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Ideal scenario is keep him but make him a really good offer to extend his contract by a year. We cant really afford to let a valuable asset like John leave for nothing.....that would be crazy. He has always said he would look after Saints and us so all he has to to is extend. If he wants to go then that's another story but nothing I have seen suggests that

I Agree, SJM is our best player but it would be crazy if he leaves next summer for nothing, We should making him a great offer to extend his contract by 1 year or Accept 2.5-3 million now.

Borderhibbie76
06-08-2018, 08:36 AM

He's not yet at the same level, but a season or two playing regularly at this level and I think he'd get there.

The fans would need to be patient though, and I don't know if we have it in us.I like Slivka a lot and there's real potential there but I disagree he's not an SJM replacement imo...we deffo need to sign someone if he goes...

.Sean.
06-08-2018, 08:49 AM

This.

Folk keep saying he’s a 5 million quid player - and I wholeheartedly agree - so pay him as such.

Famous Fiver
06-08-2018, 09:32 AM
The down side to a big bid for SJM this week is that we will be left with practically no time to fix up a suitable replacement and if we do go after somebody we will be held to ransom because we have cash.

I take it we can get a loan player in before our deadline expires and this might be from an English club, (nb. no inside information) but our options will be restricted.

In addition, if Celtic lose out on JMG they will probably throw their toys out of the pram if we approach them re Scott Allan.

It's going to be an interesting week.

hughio
06-08-2018, 09:41 AM
This.

Folk keep saying he’s a 5 million quid player - and I wholeheartedly agree - so pay him as such.

I agree.a bit of imagination please Leanne.

It makes business sense to pay him an exceptional amount for a short time to sign an extension.

You need to forget about wage structure in a situation like this.Of course SJM and his advisors have to buy into the deal but what's so complicated about our paying him in the short term what Sellik would (say £25K pw) in return for him signing a short extension.
That investment would repay itself handsomely if and when an offer approaching his real value appears as it surely must in due course.

Gordy M
06-08-2018, 09:43 AM
The down side to a big bid for SJM this week is that we will be left with practically no time to fix up a suitable replacement and if we do go after somebody we will be held to ransom because we have cash.

I take it we can get a loan player in before our deadline expires and this might be from an English club, (nb. no inside information) but our options will be restricted.

In addition, if Celtic lose out on JMG they will probably throw their toys out of the pram if we approach them re Scott Allan.

It's going to be an interesting week.

Scottish transfer window doesnt shut til 31st Agust, plenty time to get someone in.

greenlex
06-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Scottish transfer window doesnt shut til 31st Agust, plenty time to get someone in.

We will have targets should he go. There is no doubt about that.

PatHead
06-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Are all the Europa League qualifiers finished by then? If so we should definitely wait until we see if we have got through.

Gordy M
06-08-2018, 09:54 AM
We will have targets should he go. There is no doubt about that.

The bigger worry would be him going to Celtic on the 30th or 31st. That wouldnt leave us much time.

Jamesie
06-08-2018, 09:55 AM

It makes business sense to pay him an exceptional amount for a short time to sign an extension.

You need to forget about wage structure in a situation like this.Of course SJM and his advisors have to buy into the deal but what's so complicated about our paying him in the short term what Sellik would (say £25K pw) in return for him signing a short extension.
That investment would repay itself handsomely if and when an offer approaching his real value appears as it surely must in due course.

As much as I agree with these sentiments in principle, imagine if we paid SJM £25k a week and, god forbid, he got injured in his next match and was out until after Christmas? We would be shelling out a massive sum with probably no money to bring anyone else in. You also have to factor in what paying such a figure to one player could do to squad harmony. It's a tricky one, no doubt.

hibbysam
06-08-2018, 09:55 AM

£25k per week? Aye and we’ll go bust this time next year when no one buys him as he doesn’t want to leave that wage.

Gordy M
06-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Are all the Europa League qualifiers finished by then? If so we should definitely wait until we see if we have got through.

Yep i think the last game would be the 30th should we get that far....though in not 100% sure

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2018, 09:58 AM

The fact that we don't have that money available?

Is that the correct answer? :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Former Hibernian, Dundee and Morton manager Jim Duffy on Sportsound

McGinn was subbed with about 10 minutes to go and he was out on the pitch applauding the fans and you sometimes think, 'is that a send-off?' He was immense today and I'd be amazed if there are no bids before the English transfer window closes.

I'm baffled there are so many bang-ordinary players going in England for £5m just because they can trap a bag of cement. John is top-class and thriving.

had me laughing.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45077734

Smartie
06-08-2018, 10:13 AM
I like Slivka a lot and there's real potential there but I disagree he's not an SJM replacement imo...we deffo need to sign someone if he goes...

I do think we'd need to sign someone if he goes, but I'm struggling to think of who and from where on the money that we'd be able to afford.

The raw potential of Slivka, and Neil Lennon's ability to improve a player would make me want to give him a decent shot at it though.

McGinn is almost irreplaceable - that performance yesterday was just outstanding, and I pity whoever it is that has to come in and try to follow him.

Onion
06-08-2018, 10:24 AM
If the unthinkable happens and LD and RP take the ‘Tic money and run, I think they will live to regret it for years to come. Something tells me that they will stare Celtic out on this occasion.

£2m is a lot of money in Scotland, but SJM last few performances kill any doubts about his value to the Hibs team and club. As NL says, he’s our engine and almost irreplaceable at the price. Next few days could have a big bearing on season ahead. With crowds of 18-19k, Hibs deserve players of SJM quality, so maybe we’d be right to hold onto him unless big bids can me it ?

Leithenhibby
06-08-2018, 10:36 AM

McGinn was subbed with about 10 minutes to go and he was out on the pitch applauding the fans and you sometimes think, 'is that a send-off?' He was immense today and I'd be amazed if there are no bids before the English transfer window closes.

I'm baffled there are so many bang-ordinary players going in England for £5m just because they can trap a bag of cement. John is top-class and thriving.

had me laughing.

Yeah, had me laughing also, he's bang on the money. It will be a sad day when he goes and I just hope we get a true valuation for a player that is an absolute stand out.

GGTTH

Not In The Know
06-08-2018, 12:27 PM
I fear the Uefa Draw may have increased the chances of SJM leaving. If we had a drawn a lower ranked team the club might have thought it would be worth gambling on keeping him to make the group stages. Unfortunately with Zenit there is no chance.

jacomo
06-08-2018, 12:37 PM

The fans would need to be patient though, and I don't know if we have it in us.

:agree:

Slivka is the obvious candidate to take SJM’s place - if indeed SJM does go - but he has a bit of work to do. He needs to remember the simple stuff, and to improve his pass completion rate.

WhileTheChief..
06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
if we do go after somebody we will be held to ransom because we have cash.

Do you really believe that??

That sounds more like the kinda chat you’d get in a playground rather than a boardroom.

Clubs have valuations of their players.

These values aren’t determined by who might be interested in signing them or we’d be telling Brighton we want £20m instead of £3m!

WhileTheChief..
06-08-2018, 12:42 PM
I fear the Uefa Draw may have increased the chances of SJM leaving. If we had a drawn a lower ranked team the club might have thought it would be worth gambling on keeping him to make the group stages. Unfortunately with Zenit there is no chance.

Or he fances playing against a top euro side to try and get into the group stages and will want to sign an extension to take part in these games if we do!

snooky
06-08-2018, 01:06 PM

That's good news. Maybe he should sign a wee extension and go next summer - as Dylan could/should have done - and give us (and himself) at a shot of some success during this season.
I think John's attitude on and off the park has been exemplary. A standard set for all attached to HFC. From the directors & players right down to each and every individual fan, past, present and future.
To use that worn expression - Hibs class.

snooky
06-08-2018, 01:11 PM

had me laughing.

A bag of wet cement, at that.

Fife-Hibee
06-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Anything less than 8 million + a 10% fee on a future transfer move shouldn't even be considered. In the current position we're in, with the potential of what we could generate if we reach the group stages of Europe, he is simply too much of a valuable contributer to our club to let go for anything less. The clubs position is strong here and they know it.

ScottB
06-08-2018, 02:08 PM
Ultimately, if we’re only offered £2-£3million, we may as well keep him.

It’d be the amount we’d keep, less sell in clauses, up against the arguably increased revenue of keeping him; McGinn in the team could see us past Molde, you could argue better Cup runs, a higher league finish etc. Unless the club is very, very confident of replacing him, or it’s a very large amount of money, I’d rather we get another year out of him and he leaves on a free next summer.

hughio
06-08-2018, 02:12 PM
The fact that we don't have that money available?

Is that the correct answer? :greengrin

No.
If you have an asset worth say £5M there are ways of obtaining short term finance (and insurance against injury).It would be expensive and perhaps risky but that's why I said imagination required.

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2018, 03:27 PM
No.
If you have an asset worth say £5M there are ways of obtaining short term finance (and insurance against injury).It would be expensive and perhaps risky but that's why I said imagination required.

So £1.3m in wages, plus NI of £50k (ie a half-decent player's wages), plus finance charges (at 5%) of £65k (another player). And that's for every year he stays.

And the players who would be getting one-tenth of what he's earning. How would you keep them happy? It wouldn't so much "putting the band back together", more a case of "John Lennon and the Beatles". :greengrin

Lemonade
06-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Wow . Just wow.

If Hibs can get him to sign extension (without Shan release clause) I would be Absolutley stunned.
What a statement that would be if he signed or another year or two .

I need a lie down :-)

Smartie
06-08-2018, 04:23 PM
Much as I love Hibs, and as good as things are right now I can't understand why John wouldn't want to leave.

There is crazy money on offer down South, money that we just cannot compete with. Football is a short career and even with a bad and unsuccessful move he could set himself up for life.

I can understand why he might not want to swap Hibs for Celtic - he's the main man in our team, a very good team and he'd have to start from scratch from a position of being fairly unappreciated at Celtic.

Maybe I'm underestimating the guy? He won't be on the breadline, will have a cracking standard of living in a wonderful city. As long as he can look inferior players in the eye when he's on International duty and they're flashing their rolexes around, maybe he's fine staying put?

Hibbyradge
06-08-2018, 04:27 PM
When you consider that Gary Caldwell commanded £35k a week at Wigan, SJM has to move from Hibs.

Lee Marvin
06-08-2018, 04:31 PM

Meaning new contact or running down contract to have his pick of suitors? If true, I suspect the latter.

I can't see why he would sign a new deal now (I'd be overjoyed if he did).

Famous Fiver
06-08-2018, 07:08 PM
While the Chief

It happens all the time, mate.

It's called the real world.

J-C
06-08-2018, 07:11 PM
Meaning new contact or running down contract to have his pick of suitors? If true, I suspect the latter.

I can't see why he would sign a new deal now (I'd be overjoyed if he did).

Because he's an honest lad and top pro and wants to do the right for him, Hibs and St Mirren

WhileTheChief..
06-08-2018, 07:16 PM
While the Chief

It happens all the time, mate.

It's called the real world.

If that’s the case then I asssume we’re asking all premiership clubs for, what, £15m plus? They’re loaded so can easily pay it right? We can hold them all to ransom!!

So basically the more we got for McGinn, the more we will have to pay for any more signings this summer?? That’s the real world??

Greenworld
06-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Wow . Just wow.

If Hibs can get him to sign extension (without Shan release clause) I would be Absolutley stunned.
What a statement that would be if he signed or another year or two .

I need a lie down :-)It has been said before but we could put together a deal 300k - 400k signing fee and a wage of 6-8k with a release clause of 5 million what's not to like

WhileTheChief..
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM
^^Id imagine something like that is on the table right now.

Hopefully he takes it Friday morning:thumbsup:

calumhibee1
06-08-2018, 07:42 PM
I can’t seem to find Scoopyboys original post to quote it but I did think his interview recently when he said people will know when it’s time for me to leave or something along those lines I did wonder if he was suggesting that he wasn’t wanting out right now. Fingers crossed this is the case.

ScottB
06-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Never know, he’s guaranteed to play for us if fit, as good as he is, that’s not the case if he goes to Celtic, never mind Everton or Brighton. Maybe he feels he needs the game time at this stage, and he obviously enjoys where he is, so wanting to stay for another year isn’t too crazy...

AgentDaleCooper
06-08-2018, 07:58 PM
I am a committed agnostic. Only 2 things have ever led me to praying to god - the first was for deeks to stay beyond mowbray's first season, the second was for john mcginn to sign an extension. If he does, i will gladly devote the rest of my life to jesus.

HibeeHutch
06-08-2018, 08:30 PM
1. 3m for McGinn (with 30% going to St.Mirren) Or...

2. Potential Europa League Cash of say 4m Euros...(excluding attendance money)...

First qualifying round: €240,000
Second qualifying round: €260,000
Third qualifying round: €280,000
Play-off round elimination: €300,000
Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
Group match victory: €570,000
Group match draw: €190,000
Group winners: €1,000,000
Group runners-up: €500,000

M11BMO
06-08-2018, 08:46 PM
On his way to Birmingham. Signing talks with Villa. £4M.

Greenworld
06-08-2018, 08:57 PM
That’s not the real world.

The real world is that we are already too late in the English window to sign anyone decent from those leagues. And tell me who in Scotland we can buy in the next 3 weeks?

Neil and Leeann know this. Even using McGinn cash to bring Barker and Allan back weakens a Hibs team if McGinn is sold to pay for it.

The only option that will keep Lennon and the fans happy is:-
McGinn must stay!!!No we can sign players out of these leagues for the rest of the month

CropleyWasGod
06-08-2018, 09:01 PM

The real world is that we are already too late in the English window to sign anyone decent from those leagues. And tell me who in Scotland we can buy in the next 3 weeks?

Neil and Leeann know this. Even using McGinn cash to bring Barker and Allan back weakens a Hibs team if McGinn is sold to pay for it.

McGinn must stay!!!

For one thing, we can still sign players from England until our window closes. It's their teams that can't sign players after Thursday.

Also, SJM leaving won't have taken the club by surprise. They'll have had people in mind for months.

WhileTheChief..
06-08-2018, 09:08 PM

McGinn must stay!!!

The whole point of my post was that’s not the real world! Thanks for confirming :aok:

SON OF PADDY
06-08-2018, 09:14 PM
100%. One more successful season with a totally committed boiler house and I would be happy to see him shape his future with the team of his choice, even if it’s a bad choice. :greengrin

I can't believe this !🤔
I'm in complete agreement with you.😉
" Please stay, don't go.."
Stay for just one more season.🙏🙏🙏

RIP
06-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Ultimately, if we’re only offered £2-£3million, we may as well keep him.

It’d be the amount we’d keep, less sell in clauses, up against the arguably increased revenue of keeping him; McGinn in the team could see us past Molde, you could argue better Cup runs, a higher league finish etc. Unless the club is very, very confident of replacing him, or it’s a very large amount of money, I’d rather we get another year out of him and he leaves on a free next summer.

This 100%!!

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:33 PM
On his way to Birmingham. Signing talks with Villa. £4M.

Where has this came from?

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:35 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3033240/john-mcginn-celtic-aston-villa-hibs/

Villa seems accurate

JohnM1875
06-08-2018, 09:40 PM
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3033240/john-mcginn-celtic-aston-villa-hibs/

Villa seems accurate

Total disaster. Was really hoping he'd just stay and see out this season with us.

Makes getting past Molde even more difficult now if true.

Thought Villa were struggling but reading that article they've just been bought over by billionaires. Apparently Bruce has been a long term admirer of SJM so at least if he does go he should get the game time he needs!

bingo70
06-08-2018, 09:43 PM
Total disaster. Was really hoping he'd just stay and see out this season with us.

Makes getting past Molde even more difficult now if true.

Thought Villa were struggling but reading that article they've just been bought over by billionaires. Apparently Bruce has been a long term admirer of SJM so at least if he does go he should get the game time he needs!

Getting £4m for him isn’t a disaster, it’s a shame he won’t be there to help us through the Molde tie but let’s face it, we’re no winning that trophy this year anyway.

£4m would be a significant boost to our transfer kitty and I can’t wait to see how it gets spent. (I know it’ll nearly all go on wages, that’s fine with me though)

JohnM1875
06-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Getting £4m for him isn’t a disaster, it’s a shame he won’t be there to help us through the Molde tie but let’s face it, we’re no winning that trophy this year anyway.

£4m would be a significant boost to our transfer kitty and I can’t wait to see how it gets spent. (I know it’ll nearly all go on wages, that’s fine with me though)

Haha aye I agree, disaster was definitely the wrong word to use. Should have said I'm gutted SJM is leaving! Even though I've been expecting it for ages now.

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
4 million is a massive amount to us, absolutely massive.

We already have the money for reaching this round of qualifiers so we have about 750-800k from that.

It will be reinvested and you can see we are spending money with the players we have got this summer.

I have faith we will get a very good centre mid in when he leaves. He won’t be a like for like replacement, but he doesn’t have to be.

Brooster
06-08-2018, 09:52 PM
SJM at Villa tonight. Price agreed.

IWasThere2016
06-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Delighted for him.

Unseen work
06-08-2018, 09:58 PM

How much? 4 million?

bingo70
06-08-2018, 09:59 PM
Delighted for him.

Likewise.

Brilliant move and a terrific opportunity for him.

Getting all emotional here, love the guy.

Brooster
06-08-2018, 09:59 PM
How much? 4 million?

I don't know.

snooky
06-08-2018, 10:00 PM

We already have the money for reaching this round of qualifiers so we have about 750-800k from that.

It will be reinvested and you can see we are spending money with the players we have got this summer.

I have faith we will get a very good centre mid in when he leaves. He won’t be a like for like replacement, but he doesn’t have to be.

Ahem.....and St Mirren.
Both sets of fans to sing SOL (again) tomorrow in praise of SJM?

.Sean.
06-08-2018, 10:02 PM
😭😭😭😭

joe_hfc
06-08-2018, 10:04 PM
How much? 4 million?

Seen him coming out of Sainsbury’s at meadowbank this afternoon at about 3pm with a couple of bags of shopping. Didn’t seem like a guy preparing to fly to Birmingham! If he is there it must have all happened very very fast

green day
06-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Seen him coming out of Sainsbury’s at meadowbank this afternoon at about 3pm with a couple of bags of shopping. Didn’t seem like a guy preparing to fly to Birmingham! If he is there it must have all happened very very fast

Always need some sandwiches and crisps on a plane journey

Stonewall
06-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Haha aye I agree, disaster was definitely the wrong word to use. Should have said I'm gutted SJM is leaving! Even though I've been expecting it for ages now.

At the end of the day Hibs had to take a view on this. 4 million should enable us to carry out the improvements to the training centre and bring in replacements. We would still have had to replace him in a year's time but wouldn't have had the same finance available, probably.

If he goes he owes us nothing.

rosco-hibee
06-08-2018, 10:09 PM
How much? 4 million?

Nothing on the villa forums about it...

Paisley Hibby
06-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Nothing on the villa forums about it...

There is now

snooky
06-08-2018, 11:41 PM
I'd much rather see SJM go to the Claret than the Clarty.
Super John McGinn looks like being Super John McGone.
All the best & thanks for the memories. Legend. :not worth :not worth :not worth

silverhibee
06-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Where has this came from?

Travelled to Birmingham tonight.

SuperAllyMcleod
07-08-2018, 12:06 AM
I wonder if Villa would be prepared to loan him back to us for the rest of the season? If you don’t ask, you don’t get. [emoji4]

Besides, they got Des Bremner from us on the cheap.

ekhibee
07-08-2018, 12:21 AM
At the end of the day Hibs had to take a view on this. 4 million should enable us to carry out the improvements to the training centre and bring in replacements. We would still have had to replace him in a year's time but wouldn't have had the same finance available, probably.

If he goes he owes us nothing.
On the Villa forum quite a few of them seem to rate him at the 7 or 8 million pound mark and think he's a bargain at 4 million.

Ozyhibby
07-08-2018, 12:29 AM
On the Villa forum quite a few of them seem to rate him at the 7 or 8 million pound mark and think he's a bargain at 4 million.

They are correct. Hopefully we have some sort of sell on clause.

monktonharp
07-08-2018, 12:34 AM
gutted. still, very best of luck John.:not worth

basehibby
07-08-2018, 12:41 AM
I'll be gutted to say cheerio to John McGinn - what a player he has been for us! Still - everyone has their price and if it's around the £4M mark then that should allow Lennon to ensure that the squad remains strong.

Still - hope it all falls through lols - one more year John!

shetlandhibee
07-08-2018, 01:32 AM
looked on a couple of villa forums no mention, i would be surprized if it was tied up that quick, prob just gone to speak to them out of courtesy(because theve offered the amount Hibs want )IMO nothings done yet:agree: i could be wrong hope im not ..i think hel still be at Hibs come thursday:thumbsup:

MagicSwirlingShip
07-08-2018, 01:42 AM
He’s offski IMO. Great move for him

tonyrougier123
07-08-2018, 01:54 AM

4million is peanuts for mcginn.

Austinho
07-08-2018, 02:42 AM
What is McGinn capable of achieving outside of Hibs? Looking at the career trajectory of Andrew Robertson for example, going to a team down south, kicking on massively then signing for Liverpool for obscene amounts and playing in a Champions League Final. Now I wouldn’t expect him to reach those heights, but it shows what can be done with hard work. Could see him either getting promoted with Villa, or moving to a top 10 Premier League team eventually.

Hibs90
07-08-2018, 03:40 AM
If true, at least we made Celtic look like fannies

MagicSwirlingShip
07-08-2018, 04:36 AM
What is McGinn capable of achieving outside of Hibs? Looking at the career trajectory of Andrew Robertson for example, going to a team down south, kicking on massively then signing for Liverpool for obscene amounts and playing in a Champions League Final. Now I wouldn’t expect him to reach those heights, but it shows what can be done with hard work. Could see him either getting promoted with Villa, or moving to a top 10 Premier League team eventually.

Villa are a huge club. They’ve been managed very badly over the past 5 years, but if they get promoted there’s every chance they will be back up the top end of the league in quick fashion.

Andymac85
07-08-2018, 04:42 AM
Looking very much forward to the ‘you can’t afford McGinn’ rendition of the SJM song next time Celtic visit ER.

On a serious note though, if this is true I wish the guy nothing but the best. He has given his all for hibs and has acted like a true gent in the process. I’ve never really had an English club, but if he ends up at Villa they will be my team.

Onion
07-08-2018, 05:00 AM
Much prefer SJM to go South than West. Villa would earn him £millions and get him the exposure he deserves.

But ... you bet Celtic will try match any offer at last minute. They have the money are are simply trying to lowball Hibs - crowing about stealing him for nothing in 9 months. If they miss out, they'll regret it as he'll be out of their price-range in 2 years time.

Pagan Hibernia
07-08-2018, 05:11 AM
Much prefer SJM to go South than West. Villa would earn him £millions and get him the exposure he deserves.

But ... you bet Celtic will try match any offer at last minute. They have the money are are simply trying to lowball Hibs - crowing about stealing him for nothing in 9 months. If they miss out, they'll regret it as he'll be out of their price-range in 2 years time.

Agreed. It would feel like justice if Celtic missed out and Hibs got something close to what McGinn is actually worth as opposed to the insults they’ve been offered so far. Better for St Mirren too.

but of course if Celtic want to stop playing games and match any offer from England, and throw Allan into the deal too, then I’d be all ears!

Just Jimmy
07-08-2018, 05:15 AM
if villa offer 5m then Celtic should be 6m plus Allan.

premium for competition. that's how it works when there's more than one team interested.

MagicSwirlingShip
07-08-2018, 05:21 AM
It was only a few days ago we were told that Celtic had submitted a final bid with a time limit that had elapsed.

Any future bid from them should be immediately dismissed regardless of the value. Bolt!

Pedantic_Hibee
07-08-2018, 05:26 AM
You thought McGinn,
Could fit in your biscuit tin,
I just don't think you understand,
He's a 4 million man,
He's better than Zidane,
You failed with your biscuit tin....

SirDavidsNapper
07-08-2018, 05:28 AM
Get that right up you penny pinching Celtic

Waxy
07-08-2018, 05:38 AM
Can he play against Molde then sign for Villa straight after?

Austinho
07-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Can he play against Molde then sign for Villa straight after?Think the window in England closes at 5pm on Thursday, so not if he goes there. Lennon said he thinks Motherwell was his last game for us.

bingo70
07-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Can he play against Molde then sign for Villa straight after?

Is the deadline not 5pm on Thursday? I could be making that up but sure I read that somewhere.

we are hibs
07-08-2018, 06:51 AM
If this happens for a good fee then that's both Celtic and rangers we have told to bolt in the last 3 years when they've tried to massively undervalue our players. Long may it continue and the signs are there that other Scottish clubs are following our example

hfc rd
07-08-2018, 07:29 AM
Firstly Aston Villa will be a very good move for him, better than going west. I’m more hoping that if he is to leave for Villa or any other English club then I hope it’s done by tonight/tomorrow morning so we can register a wildcard signing or two for the Molde tie with some of the money. Probably wishful thinking from me as negotiations can take a few days or they can be over in 5 mins. Again, let’s probably wait and see how things unfold.

AltheHibby
07-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Just had a look at the Villa fans' website. They are looking at this thread and seem excited about getting SJM.

There is a GIF there showing how fast he is (and being taken out by a yak), and one comment saying if he's half as good as Des Bremner he'll be a good buy.

I don't want us to lose him, but if he does come down here to Villa I think it will be a good move for him.

I might drive by Villa Park later to see if anything is happening.

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Just had a look at the Villa fans' website. They are looking at this thread and seem excited about getting SJM.

There is a GIF there showing how fast he is (and being taken out by a yak), and one comment saying if he's half as good as Des Bremner he'll be a good buy.

I don't want us to lose him, but if he does come down here to Villa I think it will be a good move for him.

I might drive by Villa Park later to see if anything is happening.

Where are you mate? I have family in Brum, they did stay in Aston, but now in Great Barr

AltheHibby
07-08-2018, 07:57 AM
Where are you mate? I have family in Brum, they did stay in Aston, but now in Great Barr

Perry Barr, just off the Walsall Road (near the Badshah restaurant if you know it).

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Perry Barr, just off the Walsall Road (near the Badshah restaurant if you know it).

Been a few years since I’ve been down, they were big Villa fans, even had their old house painted in Villas colours!

AltheHibby
07-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Been a few years since I’ve been down, they were big Villa fans, even had their old house painted in Villas colours!

👍 My family down here are Villa fans, so always happy to see them do well.

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 08:05 AM
👍 My family down here are Villa fans, so always happy to see them do well.

I’m actually meeting them this weekend, but all meeting at family in Blackpool

jax67
07-08-2018, 08:06 AM
If true, at least we made Celtic look like fannies

The Celtic hierarchy have made Celtic look like fannies.
Ridiculous penny pinching.

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 08:07 AM
The Celtic hierarchy have made Celtic look like fannies.
Ridiculous penny pinching.

Think they can do what they like

.Sean.
07-08-2018, 08:12 AM
I’ve not cried about anyone leaving the club since Franck Sauzee got sacked but there’ll be floods if/ when it’s announced SJM is off :boo hoo:

hughio
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM
All credit to SJM himself who was anxious I'm told to see that both StM and Hibs got a good deal.
Would have been so easy for him to go to his family's club Celtc.

He just gets better and better.

AltheHibby
07-08-2018, 08:14 AM
I’m actually meeting them this weekend, but all meeting at family in Blackpool

Have fun. 😁

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Have fun. 😁

👍

tonyrougier123
07-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Aston villa very ideal club for John mcginn,premiership team for sure,could establish his place this season in that team,ready for the big time this time next season.still a very depressing feeling that he could be leaving though.what a player!really surprised that Celtic look to have blew this big time as they know his qualities.might not feel like a boo boo the now but it will in time.and Steve Bruce is an ideal gaffer for mcginnif he decides to go there,might be more interest as week progresses.

Jim44
07-08-2018, 08:23 AM
All credit to SJM himself who was anxious I'm told to see that both StM and Hibs got a good deal.
Would have been so easy for him to go to his family's club Celtc.

He just gets better and better.

I wouldn’t be counting my chickens at this stage. The story might have a few twists yet. :dunno:

J-C
07-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Cracking move for John in a good competitive league with plenty exposure, Villa are a massive club in the midland and have new owners and a very experienced manager, this also puts to bed the "He only wants to play for Celtic" nonsense. People that knew John said that was never the case, as he told me recently he only wanted the best move for himself, Hibs and St Mirren, he had no preference as long as it was the right move for all parties.

JeMeSouviens
07-08-2018, 08:44 AM
I’ve not cried about anyone leaving the club since Franck Sauzee got sacked but there’ll be floods if/ when it’s announced SJM is off :boo hoo:

I know what you mean. As much as I would rather SJM goes to Villa than Celtc, I keep hoping to read the deal's off and he just stays here. :boo hoo:

ancient hibee
07-08-2018, 09:30 AM
Is there any proof anywhere that this is anything other than a rumour in the Sun?

JeMeSouviens
07-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Is there any proof anywhere that this is anything other than a rumour in the Sun?

Brooster (good track record on here) posted about it last night and seemed to imply first hand knowledge.

J-C
07-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Brooster who is generally spot on has said so, plus someone who works at the airport seen him there getting on a flight to Birmingham, also being reported on Talksport.
Like a lot of Hibs dealings nowadays, not much comes out about them.

scoopyboy
07-08-2018, 09:43 AM
Brooster who is generally spot on has said so, plus someone who works at the airport seen him there getting on a flight to Birmingham, also being reported on Talksport.
Like a lot of Hibs dealings nowadays, not much comes out about them.

Brooster has exceptional source on this. Haven’t read all posts but probably knows more than he is posting

makaveli1875
07-08-2018, 09:56 AM
On his way for a medical and to talk personal terms , bid accepeted by hibs . looks like he could be away today

Onceinawhile
07-08-2018, 10:00 AM
On his way for a medical and to talk personal terms , bid accepeted by hibs . looks like he could be away today

Where's that coming from?

makaveli1875
07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Where's that coming from?

A well placed source has told Football Insider Villa have now moved in for McGinn and have had an offer accepted by Hibs for the all-action midfielder as they look to lure him to England. Hibs are resigned to selling McGinn this summer with the player in the final year of his contract at Easter Road.

Villa have been given permission to hold talks over personal terms with McGinn and for the player to undergo a medical at the Championship club.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-international-to-undergo-aston-villa-medical-after-permission-granted/

Phil MaGlass
07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
great news if true, this will push sellik or other clubs to make instant bids.

coldingham hibs
07-08-2018, 04:06 PM
The thought of not having John McGinn driving the team foward on Thursday and the rest of the season is unbearable. Irreplaceable in my opinion.

HoboHarry
07-08-2018, 04:09 PM
The thought of not having John McGinn driving the team foward on Thursday and the rest of the season is unbearable. Irreplaceable in my opinion.
We all said that about Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Russell Latapy etc etc etc....... The King is dead, long live the king..........

Smartie
07-08-2018, 04:36 PM

It's an unpleasant thought, but life goes on.

Just think where we are now as opposed to when McGinn joined us.

hibees 7062
07-08-2018, 04:43 PM
https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38630017_10215912696673358_3816081607886897152_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=98e241f6844c84c2e1b4d8e20f196f7f&oe=5C06A955

JeMeSouviens
07-08-2018, 04:47 PM
https://scontent.fltn2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/38630017_10215912696673358_3816081607886897152_n.j pg?_nc_cat=0&oh=98e241f6844c84c2e1b4d8e20f196f7f&oe=5C06A955

Seemingly this guy is rock solidly itk at Villa. So it looks like it's done. :boo hoo:

At least it's a :na na: to Celtc I s'pose.

Nameless
07-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Well, I suppose that's me got my English team for the next wee while.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
07-08-2018, 04:52 PM
Still no news of a fee being agreed with Villa. Got to think we were confident it would be an easy discussion with them to get it agreed if we let him go for talks.

ancient hibee
07-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Obviously it would be agreed before he went.

snooky
07-08-2018, 04:54 PM
We all said that about Pat Stanton, John Blackley, Russell Latapy etc etc etc....... The King is dead, long live the king..........

It's happened before - it'll happen again, and again - life and Hibs will go on.
I'm sure another legend will come and go, let's just enjoy the ride while they're here.

Wilson
07-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Wonder who Bryan is. The messiah?

Heisenberg
07-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Obviously it would be agreed before he went.

Just about every news outlet today has said no fee has been agreed yet.

Sir David Gray
07-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Gutted at this news although we all knew the day would come.

It's rotten that it's come so soon before a vital European tie and it really puts us up against it now against Molde as we're unlikely to be able to replace him before Thursday.

On the plus side he won't be at Celtic and playing against us any time soon which is an obvious positive.

Smartie
07-08-2018, 05:06 PM

Is it better to be known by your surname like McGinn, or by your first name like Bryan on this occasion?

Hmmm.

Smartie
07-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Gutted at this news although we all knew the day would come.

It's rotten that it's come so soon before a vital European tie and it really puts us up against it now against Molde as we're unlikely to be able to replace him before Thursday.

On the plus side he won't be at Celtic and playing against us any time soon which is an obvious positive.

Was there not a reasonable chance that Molde would also lose their best player to an English club this week though?

Wilson
07-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Is it better to be known by your surname like McGinn, or by your first name like Bryan on this occasion?

Hmmm.

Perhaps he's just any old Joe.

Sir David Gray
07-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Was there not a reasonable chance that Molde would also lose their best player to an English club this week though?

Not sure, hope so!

blackpoolhibs
07-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Just about every news outlet today has said no fee has been agreed yet.

The clubs will have spoken about what kind of fee we are looking for, he's not been able to speak to celtic as no fee has been agreed, or been near to agreed.

We wont be letting him go there for talks, if they are not going to be near what we want.

hibbydog
07-08-2018, 05:12 PM

No he’s a very naughty boy 😀

cleanyman
07-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Just heard Rodgers there.

He's pissed off big time.

SRHibs
07-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Just heard Rodgers there.

He's pissed off big time.

What did he say?

Keith_M
In years to come, I'll be able to tell the grandkids that I was at Super John McGinn's last game for Hibs.

'Do you mean the guy that scored the hat-trick in the 2020 European Final as captain of Scotland?', they'll ask. Aye, that's fella.... :wink:

What did he say?

Video here: https://twitter.com/BBCSportScot/status/1026877878691090432

cleanyman
07-08-2018, 05:17 PM
What did he say?

He wants the player in...talks about quality players...sounds frustrated that the club couldn't do the deal.

Keith_M
07-08-2018, 05:18 PM
What did he say?

"I was bursting and glad to make the lavvy in time."

cleanyman
07-08-2018, 05:23 PM
This is a sore one for Celtic. Their manager wants the player....I sense discontent. Maybe my prediciton of Rangers winning the league within 3 years won't be far off.

JohnM1875
07-08-2018, 05:26 PM
This is a sore one for Celtic. Their manager wants the player....I sense discontent. Maybe my prediciton of Rangers winning the league within 3 years won't be far off.

I hope not and I hope that weird looking chopper is there as long as can be. Have a feeling they'll be straight in for Neil when he's off.

Smartie
07-08-2018, 05:26 PM

I sense a discontent that hasn't been present at Celtic for a wee while.

Sevco will be loving this.

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2018, 05:27 PM

Sevco will be loving this.Yup Brenda's no happy...I can see him jumping at the first Englandshire club that comes calling...

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 05:29 PM
"I was bursting and glad to make the lavvy in time."

How very Potteresque

Smartie
07-08-2018, 05:30 PM
How very Potteresque

How very un-Potteresque.

(ie he never made it to the lavvy on time).

andybev1
07-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Surely all of the talk of 2.1m is just speculation - no less than 3 million would be good enough, especially now that we stood up to Celtic and their derisory offers. John has been great but I wish he could just see that signing another year with us so we can carry on this European journey and who knows what we could do in the league.

If it is a 2.1m deal then we would maybe be better turning it down in the hope we do get Thursday's game done and won. If we lose on thursday we will always wonder what could have been.

Onion
07-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Yup Brenda's no happy...I can see him jumping at the first Englandshire club that comes calling...

And Lennon going West ! We need Branda to be happy !!

Borderhibbie76
07-08-2018, 06:28 PM
And Lennon going West ! We need Branda to be happy !!No I don't think so he's been there and done it...plus they would want a bigger name imo

WoreTheGreen
07-08-2018, 06:31 PM
And Lennon going West ! We need Branda to be happy !!

Well looks happy is that amount of teeth legal

SirDavidsNapper
07-08-2018, 06:32 PM
No I don't think so he's been there and done it...plus they would want a bigger name imo

Yup. They're too snobby for Lennon these days even though he'd be the perfect choice.

Jim44
07-08-2018, 06:32 PM

Sevco will be loving this.

Not that I particularly want to see it, but wouldn’t it be ironic if a Liverpool novice manager knocked Brenda off his perch.

Hibbyradge
07-08-2018, 06:42 PM
Yup. They're too snobby for Lennon these days even though he'd be the perfect choice.

Too snobby? :faf:

Fuzzywuzzy
07-08-2018, 06:44 PM
From kickback. The mind boggles.....Very bitter

"Did anyone watch the Villa/Hull game yesterday btw? Ignoring that Villa had Birkir Bjarnason unable to get a start (and you'd need to be up to your eyeballs in psychotropics to believe McGinn is anywhere close to him), Milinkovic came on for Hull and looked utterly ****ing pap, and yet absolutely and objectively had a better season last year than McGinn. I can only conclude that the new Villa owners are complete screwballs tbh."

Joe6-2
07-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Not that I particularly want to see it, but wouldn’t it be ironic if a Liverpool novice manager knocked Brenda off his perch.

Don’t even joke about that

houstonhibbee
07-08-2018, 07:03 PM
so its now after 8pm, presumably John has been there all day. Is he still mulling over the offer............waiting for Celtic to make a counter offer that suits him and Hibs?

Dashing Bob S
07-08-2018, 07:07 PM
It's happened before - it'll happen again, and again - life and Hibs will go on.
I'm sure another legend will come and go, let's just enjoy the ride while they're here.

I’m sure Mallan will be linked to Celtic in the January window. Let’s get that other young St Mirren midfielder signed now.

HoboHarry
07-08-2018, 07:11 PM
so its now after 8pm, presumably John has been there all day. Is he still mulling over the offer............waiting for Celtic to make a counter offer that suits him and Hibs?
It wouldn't surprise me - Brenda was clearly irked in his interview so I'll bet he's raging within the walls of Celtic Park........

bingo70
07-08-2018, 07:15 PM

No chance, Aston Villa would never stand for that.

He only went down there today, or last night if the rumours are true, plenty reasons it could go on for a day or two.

HoboHarry
07-08-2018, 07:18 PM
No chance, Aston Villa would never stand for that.

He only went down there today, or last night if the rumours are true, plenty reasons it could go on for a day or two.
Not sure AV could do anything about it if Celtic did make a better offer. Until he signs a contract he can sign for anyone who has permission to talk to him.

houstonhibbee
07-08-2018, 07:21 PM
Not sure AV could do anything about it if Celtic did make a better offer. Until he signs a contract he can sign for anyone who has permission to talk to him.

Presumably it would include having a medical - but not heard any mention of that yet......

bingo70
07-08-2018, 07:27 PM

They could, and probably would, withdraw their offer to us if they thought we were stalling for time trying to get other clubs to trump them.

HoboHarry
07-08-2018, 07:29 PM
They could, and probably would, withdraw their offer to us if they thought we were stalling for time trying to get other clubs to trump them.
Of course, but for Celtic to have permission to talk to him they would have to have had a bid accepted by us no? Ach it's all daft conjecture by us fans - we will see soon enough.....

Sir David Gray
07-08-2018, 07:29 PM

"Did anyone watch the Villa/Hull game yesterday btw? Ignoring that Villa had Birkir Bjarnason unable to get a start (and you'd need to be up to your eyeballs in psychotropics to believe McGinn is anywhere close to him), Milinkovic came on for Hull and looked utterly ****ing pap, and yet absolutely and objectively had a better season last year than McGinn. I can only conclude that the new Villa owners are complete screwballs tbh."

Milinkovic had a better season than McGinn last year? I think I know who's on the psychotropics.

HibbySpurs
07-08-2018, 08:47 PM
He wants the player in...talks about quality players...sounds frustrated that the club couldn't do the deal.

And so he should be, the only thing preventing the deal was the Celtic Boards penny pinching....

Of course they want and expect top dollar for any of their players but on the other hand the believe they are so superior that bunging other Scottish clubs a few crumbs should be sufficient to pilfer the best talent.

We, whilst disappointed our prize asset is leaving should applaud our board for standing firm and giving Celtic a bloody nose in the process.

Whole thing easily avoided by Celtic if they simply made a reasonable offer instead of insulting Hibs.

PatHead
07-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Presumably it would include having a medical - but not heard any mention of that yet......
On a Villa fans website they say the medical is tomorrow for both SJM and another.

Billy Whizz
07-08-2018, 08:54 PM
On a Villa fans website they say the medical is tomorrow for both SJM and another.

Are you sure it’s the “Official” Villa website

Navids Numpties
07-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Saw on twitter preview of daily express front page tomorrow says Celtic have matched villas signing fee and apprent 23k a week wage for McGinn.

WhileTheChief..
07-08-2018, 10:16 PM
That’s some wage if true!

Seriously doubt Celtic would or could match that. It would make him one of their top earners.

Turkish Green
07-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Saw on twitter preview of daily express front page tomorrow says Celtic have matched villas signing fee and apprent 23k a week wage for McGinn.

Maybe it is just my age but I cannot believe any player in Scotland is worth that wage.

NadeAteMyLunch!
07-08-2018, 10:59 PM

Well McGinn made the final 4 shortlist for SPFL player of the year, can only assume Milinkovic was one of the other 3 candidates..

Greentinted
08-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Irrespective of what happens with John presently, he has conducted himself with great integrity throughout his entire time with us and will always be considered as one of the finest young men to have worn the green and white of Hibernian. Not often I bother about our players when they become ‘former players’ but he will be one of the few exceptions who I wish well.

Dashing Bob S
08-08-2018, 12:36 AM

This is pish. If Celtic offered McGinn more than 15k there would be a line of players agents knocking on Lawell’s door. If Villa are paying him 23k (and I’m not convinced at that either) then that’s where he’s going. And good luck to him.

houstonhibbee
08-08-2018, 12:57 AM
It’s in Glasgow herald as well

Jim44
08-08-2018, 01:14 AM

Seriously doubt Celtic would or could match that. It would make him one of their top earners.

Not bad for a squad benchwarmer who’s not really needed or, according to quite a few, not really good enough for them. :rolleyes:

Ps. Kerrydale Street is full of rich comments and observations.

I liked this.: “We seem to have painted ourselves into a corner with this one.
It's like a Celtic Brexit.”

Some ITKers saying that the Celtic bid has been accepted. Have they not got a bed to go to? My God, look at the time, better get the light out. :greengrin

mjhibby
08-08-2018, 03:24 AM

Scott brown got a similar wage when he signed for celtic. He got that wage to ward off interest from other clubs even sevco. Considering how smooth browns transfer was it makes you wonder why celtic are messing everybody about and only after weeks of nonsense bids putting in a reasonable offer and once again giving the player huge wages. I'd rather he did go to celtic if only to get Scotty back. We shall see. I think Rodgers press conference has worked in our favour this time and hopefully its all sorted today so we can focus on tomorrow and then get players in.

BILLYHIBS
08-08-2018, 04:59 AM
Love SJM really want him to stay but at 4m? :bye:

But please not to the smellies they had their chance and blew it big time!

No one messes with the mighty HFC!

:not worth