PDA

View Full Version : The trip went perfectly, until the Crosscountry train

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 12:26 AM
Something just had to go wrong, didn't it.

I decided to extend my football travels this week by another day and 400 miles and come up for tomorrow's game.

My mate from Edinburgh and I got back to my house at 6.00pm tonight and we caught the 8.32pm train from York which was due to get into Waverley at 10.59pm

It's now 1.30 am and we're stuck on the track somewhere around Dunbar with no idea of when we'll get to Edinburgh.

First, we found ourselves behind a slower train delaying us for an estimated 40 minutes.

Then there was a signal failure.

They finally got a single line of track working and, unbelievably, a train in front of us broke down on it.

We've just been told that every signal between here and Edinburgh has failed.

They're now implementing a system in which they "talk the train through every individual signal", but there are about 8 trains ahead of us.

It could be hours before we get back.

And, incredibly, there's no buffet car or trolley on this train. How is that even possible?

tam4hibs
05-08-2018, 12:34 AM
I'm in the kings x train somewhere aroou d you bud. Feel your pain... shocker.

snooky
05-08-2018, 12:37 AM

I decided to extend my football travels this week by another day and 400 miles and come up for tomorrow's game.

My mate from Edinburgh and I got back to my house at 6.00pm tonight and we caught the 8.32pm train from York which was due to get into Waverley at 10.59pm

It's now 1.30 am and we're stuck on the track somewhere around Dunbar with no idea of when we'll get to Edinburgh.

First, we found ourselves behind a slower train delaying us for an estimated 40 minutes.

They finally got a single line of track working and, unbelievably, a train in front of us broke down on it.

They're now implementing a system in which they "talk the train through every individual signal", but there are about 8 trains ahead of us.

And, incredibly, there's no buffet car or trolley on this train. How is that even possible?

FFS, a choo choo with no chew chew.

Seriously, shocking stuff HR. Feel for youz.

The_Horde
05-08-2018, 12:42 AM

Get out at Dunbar and walk. Be quicker and you might get a scran.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 12:48 AM

https://traksy.uk/live/M+1+OXWLMNS+34

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 12:50 AM
Get out at Dunbar and walk. Be quicker and you might get a scran.

We can't even see lights never mind a station. We're not due to stop there either so it'll probably be "talked" straight through until it stops somewhere else in the pitch dark.

We're already knackered from the trip.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 12:53 AM
We can't even see lights never mind a station. We're not due to stop there either so it'll probably be "talked" straight through until it stops somewhere else in the pitch dark.

Where did your train originate?

The_Horde
05-08-2018, 12:54 AM

Surely easier for them to send a coach to get you guys? And with no supplies too. Pretty poor service, it seems to be going from bad to worse since it was privatised..

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 12:54 AM
https://traksy.uk/live/M+1+OXWLMNS+34

I was hoping you'd still be up.

What does that chart mean?

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 12:55 AM
If all signals are down then services must be talked through each section signal by signal, this involves a hell of a lot of waiting around unfortunately. Nothing that can be done to make the process quicker, I just hope your train doesn't run out of fuel.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 12:56 AM

Thats is a live map of trains in the Dunbar area, if you can tell me where your train has come from then I can tell you what train you're on. The red means very late.

danhibees1875
05-08-2018, 12:56 AM
I can't remember the last time I got a train that didn't have an issue.

The peak was my return from Aberdeen after our 0-0 draw. A combination of delays, and forced train changes made the journey 5 and a half hours late getting back to Haymarket.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Where did your train originate?

I think it was Reading, but my mate thinks it was Southampton.

Tobias Funke
05-08-2018, 12:58 AM
That line seems to be a bit of a nightmare just now. There were various LNER trains stationery on the line at Longniddry the other day, not sure what happened but local services were cancelled. Hope you get into Waverley soon HR.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 12:59 AM
I just hope your train doesn't run out of fuel.

That crossed my mind too.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:04 AM
Can electric trains run out of fuel?

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:07 AM
Can electric trains run out of fuel?

Only if the power in the overhead wires fail.

If its a cross county train its 100% a diesel train. Are you moving?

Hibbyradge you're on the train at the back of the queue 1S55

It looks like 1S25 is the guilty party, sitting just shy of Dunbar station.

TObeachesHibby
05-08-2018, 01:11 AM
Well that is just great , considering I am doing a UK footie tour with my son .. and we are relying on the trains?:rolleyes:
but wild horses will not stop us getting from Glasgow airport to Edinburgh for the Molde game :greengrin:agree:

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Only if the power in the overhead wires fail.

If its a cross county train its 100% a diesel train. Are you moving?

Hibbyradge you're on the train at the back of the queue 1S55

It looks like 1S25 is the guilty party, sitting just shy of Dunbar station.

Thanks for the information.

I had checked Trainline so I knew we were the last train on the line tonight.

I know it's no-ones fault, but it's very frustrating and it's getting worrying.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:14 AM
Because we live right next to the tracks, We got a letter through telling us that there was work due to be carried out on the rails at Dunbar tonight.

Yet we've not heard a thing, not sure if that's to do with what's going on or not.

Ps, a train just went past, so not sure if things are moving.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:15 AM
No, we've not moved for well over an hour.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:16 AM

The link is your trains current progress (or lack of), mind your delay repay, full refund for you lads.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C77161/2018/08/04/advanced

Its not looking good although they should have scrambled the rescue loco by now to haul the failure away although the signal outage may be hampering this.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:17 AM
Because we live right next to the tracks, We got a letter through telling us that there was work due to be carried out on the rails at Dunbar tonight.

Yet we've not heard a thing, not sure if that's to do with what's going on or not.

Ps, a train just went past, so not sure if things are moving.

Cant take possession until all services have finished, likely hood is work will be cancelled due to this balls up.

FastEddieFelson
05-08-2018, 01:18 AM

Are you at least enjoying the pleasure of some train beers?

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Thats the failure shunted into Dunbar station, things should slowly start moving soonish.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:19 AM
I'll post when I hear a train go past and you might have an idea of when you start moving

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:21 AM
Are you at least enjoying the pleasure of some train beers?

There's no buffet car or trolley.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:21 AM
I'll post when I hear a train go past and you might have an idea of when you start moving

Thanks 👍

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:22 AM
Thats the failure shunted into Dunbar station, things should slowly start moving soonish.

Thanks again.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:22 AM
That's 1 train went past so things are moving

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:23 AM
Things starting to move now, your next problem will be getting a vacant platform at Edinburgh. :duck:

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:24 AM
Things starting to move now, your next problem will be getting a vacant platform at Edinburgh. :duck:

I'll be happier when we're waiting near Waverley.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:25 AM
We're moving!

Probably to the next signal though.

Jones28
05-08-2018, 01:26 AM
👍 hopefully they've lit up ER for your arrival after all that!

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 01:29 AM
I'll be happier when we're waiting near Waverley.

We're moving!

Probably to the next signal though.

5 trains ahead of you including a speed restricted freight train (75mph) but they can shunt him at Drem hopefully.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:34 AM
There's another one

GreenLake
05-08-2018, 01:40 AM
Uber

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:47 AM
Uber

From York?

Nah.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:52 AM
That's another one went past. Seems like everything's moving again, from the looks of it you'll have a little wait up until Dunbar station but then it's clear sailing after that all the way to the Waverley. Hopefully you'll not be held up much longer.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:55 AM
That's another one went past. Seems like everything's moving again, from the looks of it you'll have a little wait up until Dunbar station but then it's clear sailing after that all the way to the Waverley. Hopefully you'll not be held up much longer.

I hope you're right, but they said the signals were goosed pretty much all the way to Edinburgh and HCs live map thing seems to confirm that, although I may not be understanding it properly.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 01:58 AM
I'm in the kings x train somewhere aroou d you bud. Feel your pain... shocker.

You're in the train directly in front of us.

SaulGoodman
05-08-2018, 01:58 AM
I hope you're right, but they said the signals were goosed pretty much all the way to Edinburgh and HCs live map thing seems to confirm that, although I may not be understanding it properly.

If I'm looking at it right, the one that went past my house at about 25 to 3 is already at the Waverley so seems like things are moving

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:00 AM
If I'm looking at it right, the one that went past my house at about 25 to 3 is already at the Waverley so seems like things are moving

Fingers crossed.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:02 AM
There's a just past Drem and one just short of Dunbar. I'll keep my eyes on them.

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 02:21 AM
There's a just past Drem and one just short of Dunbar. I'll keep my eyes on them.

You wont be in until after 4am unfortunately

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 02:26 AM
You'll be around 5 hours late or just over by the time your train gets in.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:28 AM
You wont be in until after 4am unfortunately

I'm expecting to see daylight before we get to my mate's house.

Is the line clear after Dunbar now?

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:30 AM
You'll be around 5 hours late or just over by the time your train gets in.

The journey from my house has already taken longer than the flights to and from Zante combined!

GreenLake
05-08-2018, 02:35 AM
From York?

Nah.

Sorry, I thought you were stuck in Dunbar

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 02:42 AM
I'm expecting to see daylight before we get to my mate's house.

Is the line clear after Dunbar now?

Its clear, the affected area was a few miles before Dunbar. You should have a car run in from there.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:45 AM
Sorry, I thought you were stuck in Dunbar

We are, but getting off a train in the middle of nowhere in the pitch black isn't a great idea.

ronaldo7
05-08-2018, 02:46 AM

Something had to go wrong after such a wonderful trip. It all went swimmingly up the M6.

Hope you get some sleep before the match. 😴

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 02:47 AM
Its clear, the affected area was a few miles before Dunbar. You should have a car run in from there.

The guard announced that we'll be at the Waverley in 45 mins.

GreenLake
05-08-2018, 02:59 AM
We are, but getting off a train in the middle of nowhere in the pitch black isn't a great idea.

Agreed.

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 03:35 AM
We arrived at 4.23 and now on the airport bus.

proud_and_green
05-08-2018, 05:22 AM
Jeez, what a nightmare! I hope you are now tucking in to some proper scoff in Edinburgh.

This really annoys me, I don't think any country certainly in Europe if not the world has such a bad train service. I rely on trains to get to work in Edinburgh and there is barely a day goes by that there is not some form of disruption.

Penny pinching, profiteering by the rail companies (operators and network).

My neighbour was in one of the Spanish Islands and said that had a superb rail system, you can go anywhere for around €3 and it was clean and ran on time.

Ours are dirty, unreliable and bloody expensive! Incidentally, I think the staff generally are great!

Petrie!!!!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

mim
05-08-2018, 05:39 AM
We arrived at 4.23 and now on the airport bus.

That sounds like a real pile of smelly stuff. D.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-08-2018, 06:23 AM

I was due to travel from Darlington a couple of Saturdays ago on the cross country train with the same arrival time into Wav for that night, on arrival at Darlo I was advised to board the first available train to Wav, so boarded the already delayed 2022 LNER service which eventually left just after 2200 and got to Edinburgh at about 0445, not much fun!

My_Wife_Camille
05-08-2018, 06:31 AM
I want to see this thread OUT of the main board and into the cheese board where. It. Belongs.

aljo7-0
05-08-2018, 06:34 AM
Sorry to hear you had such an awful delay. A story like this though is one of the reasons I love this place. You post a frustrated message at a delay, sitting in the dark not really knowing what is going on and almost immediately a couple of fellow Hibees are on the thread explaining the issue and advising re trains moving ahead on the line from you. Hope you get some kip before the game.

PapillonVert
05-08-2018, 08:06 AM
That is a shocking delay. Almost eight hours to get from York to Edinburgh!

Don't forget to claim a refund of your ticket price, Hibbyradge. You should be entitled to 100%. If the railway companies had any shame, they would also give you compensation on top of the ticket refund.

greenlex
05-08-2018, 08:19 AM
I want to see this thread OUT of the main board and into the cheese board where. It. Belongs.

Harsh. I don’t think the information to the Radge one would have got there on the cheese board. The power of Hibs.net in action. You are over ruled.

LustForLeith
05-08-2018, 08:27 AM
I used to like getting the train but had a lot of issues with them recently. Last Friday we were heading down to London for a wedding from Edinburgh only for us to be told at Newcastle there was no signals working at York due to a thunderstorm. After about three hours in Newcastle we got a train to Carlisle then another to London Euston then a tube and two trains to our destination. Left st 8.30 and got there just before 10 at night.

You can’t vouch for the weather in this country. But you can vouch for the customer service and responsibly of the organisation and LNR were shocking.

Keith_M
05-08-2018, 08:37 AM
#prayforhibbyradge

:wink:

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Harsh. I don’t think the information to the Radge one would have got there on the cheese board. The power of Hibs.net in action. You are over ruled.

I would have thought a story about some fans having difficulty on their journey from a game in Europe to another game in Edinburgh, was perfectly relevant to the main board.

Leaving that aside, you're right. I'm very grateful for Hermit and Saul's information. Ross and I were definitely a lot less stressed than others on the train because we had some idea of what was going on, even though it was extremely frustrating.

That real time train site kept us positive because we could literally see that there was progress even if it was painfully slow.

Thanks again guys. :aok:

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 08:47 AM
#prayforhibbyradge

:wink:

Your prayers worked. 4 hours kip and everything seems so much better.

Yawn...

jonty
05-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Yawn...

#VodkaRedBull for radge

Viva_Palmeiras
05-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Yes if massive travel disruption affecting out support making great lengths already to support put team isn't worthy of the board - and give folks the opps to be aware they might be affected or help....

Scooter
05-08-2018, 09:00 AM
That signal failure is the worst I've heard of in the 10 years I've worked as a driver. Thankfully I wasn't working! The signalling failure went from Innerwick to Markle level crossing which is just south of east fortune. It's a terrible situation but nothing cross country could have done. I'm glad you got home eventuality mate make sure you keep your ticket and claim your refund

Baw187
05-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Glad your finally back mate and had a kip.

Nothing worse than a delayed journey. Our flight from JFK got cancelled on Monday night about 4am after having been delayed for 5 hours which was nippy enough but once we finally got to Heathrow at 7am on Wednesday morning, we were told we were only on standby for our connection flight back up the road as it was overbooked. That meant we needed to wait 7 hours to find out if we were on, otherwise we’d be in the 9pm flight.

We cut our losses and booked train tickets. If I’d run in to these type of signal problems on that train there would have been a rage of Bruce Banner esque proportions.

Keith_M
05-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Yawn...

Glad you finally got there and I hope you can stay awake long enough to enjoy the game.

:greengrin

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Glad your finally back mate and had a kip.

Nothing worse than a delayed journey. Our flight from JFK got cancelled on Monday night about 4am after having been delayed for 5 hours which was nippy enough but once we finally got to Heathrow at 7am on Wednesday morning, we were told we were only on standby for our connection flight back up the road as it was overbooked. That meant we needed to wait 7 hours to find out if we were on, otherwise we’d be in the 9pm flight.

We cut our losses and booked train tickets. If I’d run in to these type of signal problems on that train there would have been a rage of Bruce Banner esque proportions.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That's a horrible journey.

Are there refunds coming your way and/or will your insurance help out?

Baw187
05-08-2018, 09:22 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. That's a horrible journey.

Are there refunds coming your way and/or will your insurance help out?

No such luck. We were travelling on my mate’s BA staff ticket so not entitled to anything. Now we’re back it’s all good. We did save a few bob on the flights so can’t complain overall.

grunt
05-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Nothing worse than a delayed journey. Our flight from JFK got cancelled on Monday night about 4am after having been delayed for 5 hours which was nippy enough but once we finally got to Heathrow at 7am on Wednesday morning, we were told we were only on standby for our connection flight back up the road as it was overbooked. That meant we needed to wait 7 hours to find out if we were on, otherwise we’d be in the 9pm flight. I too was on an American Airlines flight from JFK Sunday 22 July which was cancelled. Eventually got the same flight next night, delayed by over 24 hours. I've been offered $200 vouchers, but tbh I don't ever want to fly with American Airlines again. Does the team think I should hold out for more?

Baw187
05-08-2018, 09:36 AM
I too was on an American Airlines flight from JFK Sunday 22 July which was cancelled. Eventually got the same flight next night, delayed by over 24 hours. I've been offered $200 vouchers, but tbh I don't ever want to fly with American Airlines again. Does the team think I should hold out for more?

I’m pretty sure my uncle, in a similar situation got a full refund. If I’d been entitled to compo I’d had hoped for a lot more than that to be honest.

grunt
05-08-2018, 09:39 AM
I’m pretty sure my uncle, in a similar situation got a full refund. If I’d been entitled to compo I’d had hoped for a lot more than that to be honest.
Thanks.

Just Jimmy
05-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I too was on an American Airlines flight from JFK Sunday 22 July which was cancelled. Eventually got the same flight next night, delayed by over 24 hours. I've been offered $200 vouchers, but tbh I don't ever want to fly with American Airlines again. Does the team think I should hold out for more?tell them no. full cash refund. they always try and fob you off with vouchers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

snooky
05-08-2018, 10:26 AM
tell them no. full cash refund. they always try and fob you off with vouchers.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

There's a couple of threads on our other forums re. travel compensation. I recommend you take the cash everytime. Vouchers may sometimes look a better deal but they have conditions attached. I fell for that trick once. Cash for me everytime from now on.
I believe there is legislation currently in place that states that any flight (UK incoming or outgoing) delayed for over 4 hrs must pay something like £500 compensation( Note: this might vary depending on cost of fare -I'm not sure)

Hibbyradge
05-08-2018, 10:42 AM
There's a couple of threads on our other forums re. travel compensation. I recommend you take the cash everytime. Vouchers may sometimes look a better deal but they have conditions attached. I fell for that trick once. Cash for me everytime from now on.
I believe there is legislation currently in place that states that any flight (UK incoming or outgoing) delayed for over 4 hrs must pay something like £500 compensation( Note: this might vary depending on cost of fare -I'm not sure)

:agree:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

grunt
05-08-2018, 10:46 AM

:agree:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html

Thanks everyone.

gringojoe
05-08-2018, 10:50 AM
I used to like getting the train but had a lot of issues with them recently. Last Friday we were heading down to London for a wedding from Edinburgh only for us to be told at Newcastle there was no signals working at York due to a thunderstorm. After about three hours in Newcastle we got a train to Carlisle then another to London Euston then a tube and two trains to our destination. Left st 8.30 and got there just before 10 at night.

You can’t vouch for the weather in this country. But you can vouch for the customer service and responsibly of the organisation and LNR were shocking.

I was on the 9 o'clock from Waverley heading to Thirsk races last Friday, train terminated at Newcastle at 10.30. Stuck in Newcastle for nearly 9 hours before trains headed north again. At least the pubs in Newcastle are cheap so didn't seem like to long a wait.

RoYO!
05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Wow third on the main board.. it’s almost as if this WAS of interest to the common hibs fan.. :D

pollution
13-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Interesting chart.

Long shot here but does anyone know of a website that shows schedules for all trains on a line.

I live next to the Borders railway and at about 1am a train passes that shakes the house.

Probably a freight train but I would like to know.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 06:40 PM
Interesting chart.

Long shot here but does anyone know of a website that shows schedules for all trains on a line.

I live next to the Borders railway and at about 1am a train passes that shakes the house.

Give me an idea of roughly where you are mate.

Mibbes Aye
13-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Interesting chart.

Scotrail website will have passenger train times.

Last train out of Waverley is five to midnight and gets into Tweedbank around five to one.

Last train from Tweedbank is half eleven, earlier on Sundays I think.

Liberal Hibby
13-08-2018, 08:52 PM

No freight trains on that line.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 08:56 PM
No freight trains on that line.

Unless its an engineers train or track maintenance machine.

speedy_gonzales
13-08-2018, 09:11 PM
There is the yellow HST NR measurement train that rattles down Borders around 0130 then back up an hour later once in a while,,,,

Hibbyradge
13-08-2018, 09:15 PM
According to the gentleman I befriend, a heavy train has been passing Haxby on the Scarborough to York line around 6.00am.

He used to be an engineer and thinks it might be transporting new track.

Is that a possibility?

I'd love to be able to assuage his curiosity.

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 09:18 PM
According to the gentleman I befriend, a heavy train has been passing Haxby on the Scarborough to York line around 6.00am.

He used to be an engineer and thinks it might be transporting new track.

Is that a possibility?

I'd love to be able to assuage his curiosity.

Could be but that was only laid a few years ago therefor it shouldn't need replacing so soon.

Hibbyradge
13-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Could be but that was only laid a few years ago therefor it shouldn't need replacing so soon.

I'll let him know.

At 84, he doesn't see too well these days and his hearing has sharpened as a result so he's aware that the train is a lot heavier than the usual Transpennine Express commuters.

Could it be freight?

Hermit Crab
13-08-2018, 10:02 PM
I'll let him know.

At 84, he doesn't see too well these days and his hearing has sharpened as a result so he's aware that the train is a lot heavier than the usual Transpennine Express commuters.

Could it be freight?

Suppose it could be and is the likely source.

Liberal Hibby
13-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Unless its an engineers train or track maintenance machine.

Indeed

lyonhibs
14-08-2018, 07:07 AM
The UK rail system is so often an absolute joke. Problems start right at the top IMO.

IWasThere2016
14-08-2018, 08:08 AM
The UK rail system is so often an absolute joke. Problems start right at the top IMO.

Considerably better North of the Border than South.

Have taken 40-50 trains in my time here since January 2017 and I'd say less than a handful have been on time... many have no or limited food service even when doing Wigan North West to Edinburgh/Dundee.

It really is dire, and fares are to rise way above wage inflation again. Quite scandalous.

Hermit Crab
14-08-2018, 01:45 PM

Scotland have opened more previously closed lines and stations as well as new stations than anywhere else in the UK over the last 20 years.

Bruntstane - Newcraighall stations
Dunfermline Queen Margaret station
Laurencekirk station
Stirling - Alloa line
The Borders Railway
Edinburgh Park station
Edinburgh Gateway station (white elephant)

Not to mention electrification of most of the Central belt.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-08-2018, 03:09 PM
I was due to travel from Darlington a couple of Saturdays ago on the cross country train with the same arrival time into Wav for that night, on arrival at Darlo I was advised to board the first available train to Wav, so boarded the already delayed 2022 LNER service which eventually left just after 2200 and got to Edinburgh at about 0445, not much fun!

Still wating patiently for a refund!

PapillonVert
15-08-2018, 09:05 AM

They probably have such a huge backlog to deal with. Also, have probably instructed staff not to bust a gut sending customers back their money!

Scouse Hibee
15-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Considerably better North of the Border than South.

Have taken 40-50 trains in my time here since January 2017 and I'd say less than a handful have been on time... many have no or limited food service even when doing Wigan North West to Edinburgh/Dundee.

It really is dire, and fares are to rise way above wage inflation again. Quite scandalous.

I have been doing the Edinburgh to Liverpool train journey for 26 years, over the last six years I have done it roughly every three weeks and barring weather issues and the odd breakdown I have found it to be extremely reliable and comfortable. Always travel on Virgin and change at Wigan.

JimBHibees
15-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Scotland have opened more previously closed lines and stations as well as new stations than anywhere else in the UK over the last 20 years.

Laurencekirk station
Stirling - Alloa line
The Borders Railway
Edinburgh Park station

Also the Bathgate Airdrie line reopening.

pollution
15-08-2018, 11:26 AM
There is the yellow HST NR measurement train that rattles down Borders around 0130 then back up an hour later once in a while,,,,

Thank you!

MikeyG
15-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Got a full refund of £120 but would rather have got home. Brilliant trip however. :flag::flag::flag::flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Got a full refund of £120 but would rather have got home. Brilliant trip however. :flag::flag::flag::flag:

I'm only waiting for 15.70, looking for dough back for the 5am taxi, not so sure about that though!

Hibernia&Alba
15-08-2018, 06:17 PM
The train system is terrible; what a con privatisation was. Several times I've been required to get a bus for at least part of the journey between England and Scotland; several times had to stand for an entire journey of three hours; can't count the number of delays I've experienced; the expensive terrible food and lack of toilets. Another disgrace to one of the richest countries in the world in the twenty-first century. Anyone who has taken a train in contiental Europe will be aware of the enormous difference in performance.

Future17
14-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but was wondering if anyone who contributed to it might know the answer to this question.

There's a large rectangular block of bright LEDs on the side of one of the buildings at the rail depot beside Portobello Golf Course. What is it for?

ian cruise
14-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but was wondering if anyone who contributed to it might know the answer to this question.

There's a large rectangular block of bright LEDs on the side of one of the buildings at the rail depot beside Portobello Golf Course. What is it for?

Hermit Crab is your man for that.

Sammy7nil
14-02-2019, 09:19 PM

No idea but that is where they clean trains i think .

Hermit Crab
15-02-2019, 01:33 AM
Hermit Crab is your man for that.

I actually have no idea, not been past Craigy for ages.

Hibs07p
15-02-2019, 07:19 AM

I,m pretty sure it is the lamps that used to illuminate a sign that said Portobello Wheel Lathe. Obviously the sign is no longer there.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

Killiehibbie
15-02-2019, 10:29 AM
No idea but that is where they clean trains i think .They clean them at Craigentinny.

Hermit Crab
15-02-2019, 10:44 AM
They clean them at Craigentinny.

They do a lot more than just clean trains there.

Wee Scottie Dug
15-02-2019, 10:59 AM

They sure do - and what a ******g racket they make - not that I'm a bitter neighbour of theirs - well not much :wink:

Future17
15-02-2019, 11:03 AM
I,m pretty sure it is the lamps that used to illuminate a sign that said Portobello Wheel Lathe. Obviously the sign is no longer there.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016

That's a good shout. I think it's on 24/7 though - what a waste of energy/money.

Killiehibbie
15-02-2019, 11:05 AM
They do all sorts of stuff but I don't think the cleaning was ever done at Portobello, well not in the last 50 years.

Hermit Crab
15-02-2019, 11:14 AM
They do all sorts of stuff but I don't think the cleaning was ever done at Portobello, well not in the last 50 years.

Craigentinny is massive theres sheds, workshops and stabling points at the Mouncastle end and more stabling points and a wheel lathe at the Bruntstane end.

Killiehibbie
15-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Craigentinny is massive theres sheds, workshops and stabling points at the Mouncastle end and more stabling points and a wheel lathe at the Bruntstane end.
Portobello and Craigentinny aren't seperate depots?

Hermit Crab
15-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Portobello and Craigentinny aren't seperate depots?

Theres a Network Rail Engineers depot just where Sir Harry Lauder road crosses the line. Craigentinny is a heavy maintenance depot for passenger trains.

kevo1875
15-02-2019, 12:16 PM
Portobello wheel lathe is part of craigentinny depot , overnight servicing , heavy maintenance and cleaning all done.at the depot ...voyager trains get cleaned at the sidings at Portobello wheel lathe

Hibby70
15-02-2019, 12:20 PM
It's like being in an episode of Thomas the Tank Engine

Future17
05-08-2020, 08:39 AM
Thought I'd ask this question here to benefit from the rail industry knowledge we've read before...

I'm travelling from Edinburgh to Hull by rail. Due to social distancing, I had to pay for a first class ticket. I change trains at York. Having collected the tickets, I only have a reserved seat from Edinburgh to York.

Is that just because the train from York to Hull won't have a first class carriage?

linlithgowhibbie
05-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Thought I'd ask this question here to benefit from the rail industry knowledge we've read before...

I'm travelling from Edinburgh to Hull by rail. Due to social distancing, I had to pay for a first class ticket. I change trains at York. Having collected the tickets, I only have a reserved seat from Edinburgh to York.

Is that just because the train from York to Hull won't have a first class carriage?

It never used to, bit like travelling from Edinburgh to Stirling. Some of the trains had the small 1st class compartment but on that journey there were no 1st class tickets so it was available to all.

Brian

The Baldmans Comb
05-08-2020, 09:08 PM

Laurencekirk station
Stirling - Alloa line
The Borders Railway
Edinburgh Park station

Very true. Scotlands train system has seen major investment and is now so much better in the range of destinations and the breath of travel.

There seems to be good cooperation between the central government and the train companies as well as the local authorities.

Most of all there seems a sense of purpose and will to make things work across the board.

Integration with bus companies is an area I know that is being explored and would an extra layer to travel in Scotland.

Scouse Hibee
05-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Probably as the York to Hull train will be a Northern small train with no reservations, same when I travel from Edinburgh to Wigan which is reserved then Wigan to Liverpool can’t be reserved.