PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh festival and Hibs

SirDavidsNapper
04-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I've always felt Hibs have missed a trick during the festival with promoting our games. With our European games on a Thursday night and starting the league season at home i really think there's market to tap in to. Hibs popularity is growing rapidly and we're fast becoming a very hip/cool club to support and Leith is culturally diverse. I think we could attract a lot down to the games during this peak time in the city if the club did a bit more advertising. Maybe they do and I'm doing them a massive disservice but just a thought.

weecounty hibby
04-08-2018, 08:27 PM
I agree with what you're saying and we should do more with Edinburghs tourist scene. I have just come back from Portugal and in the Algarve there are eleven, I think, official football shops. They have merchandise from Porto, Benfica, Sporting as well as the Portuguese national side. We were in a few times and the one in Alvor was going like a fair every night, full of tourists buying stuff. I spent over 100 euros on a Porto strip for my son and a Portugal trackie top for my daughter. A Hibs/hearts shop in Edinburgh maybe isn't a daft idea.

Billy Whizz
04-08-2018, 08:31 PM
I agree with what you're saying and we should do more with Edinburghs tourist scene. I have just come back from Portugal and in the Algarve there are eleven, I think, official football shops. They have merchandise from Porto, Benfica, Sporting as well as the Portuguese national side. We were in a few times and the one in Alvor was going like a fair every night, full of tourists buying stuff. I spent over 100 euros on a Porto strip for my son and a Portugal trackie top for my daughter. A Hibs/hearts shop in Edinburgh maybe isn't a daft idea.

Steve Wright on radio 2 was talking about it yesterday. He said after the World Cup and the Olympic Games, the Edinburgh festival and fringe is the 3rd largest event for selling tickets
Unbelievable

3pm
04-08-2018, 08:34 PM
I’ll spread the word in The Pleasance before the game tomorrow when I go for a couple of pints. And before the Ross County game. And the Aberdeen one too. 🇳🇬

SirDavidsNapper
04-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Steve Wright on radio 2 was talking about it yesterday. He said after the World Cup and the Olympic Games, the Edinburgh festival and fringe is the 3rd largest event for selling tickets
Unbelievable

It's an unbelievable opportunity for both Edinburgh clubs imo

IberianHibernian
04-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I've always felt Hibs have missed a trick during the festival with promoting our games. With our European games on a Thursday night and starting the league season at home i really think there's market to tap in to. Hibs popularity is growing rapidly and we're fast becoming a very hip/cool club to support and Leith is culturally diverse. I think we could attract a lot down to the games during this peak time in the city if the club did a bit more advertising. Maybe they do and I'm doing them a massive disservice but just a thought.I`ve been saying for years that Hibs should do more to attract tourists and newcomers to Edinburgh area and to be fair things have happened - I `ve seen flyers in hotels and read about tables at student fresher fairs and posters to attract Poles for example . All good ideas if repeated regularly . Lots more ideas - campaigns to get rugby fans when Scotland are playing at Murrayfield to ER for match and/ or stadium tour /photo on pitch - English language students sold cut price tickets for matches and schools encouraged to use Hibs training ground ( even have English course with football based there while students stay with families or residence in area - great PR with area near training ground ) , Hibs organise / sponsor / offer training ground for a summer cup played in July by groups of foreign students with locals too - not a high level thing like Foyle Cup in Ireland but something that could involve a lot of young visitors who would enjoy competition without being stars and whose photos etc would promote Hibernian FC for years after , Could go on for ages but at the end of the day the best thing will always be some Hibbies encouraging visitors or newcomers to come to ER . Lots of us will have been to games in other places when on holiday ( in my case I remember going to Highland League matches , games in Norway , Zagreb when it was part of Yugoslavia , France , Portugal etc all enjoyable and interesting to compare with going to Easter Road but all would have been even better if I`d felt part of the crowd rather than just an observer - get folk out actively inviting tourists and other newcomers to ER ( pubs near ground , stadium , club shop - maybe local pubs or shops could sell products cheaply with special visitor match ticket ? - way of involving local businesses too ) .

IberianHibernian
04-08-2018, 09:40 PM
I agree with what you're saying and we should do more with Edinburghs tourist scene. I have just come back from Portugal and in the Algarve there are eleven, I think, official football shops. They have merchandise from Porto, Benfica, Sporting as well as the Portuguese national side. We were in a few times and the one in Alvor was going like a fair every night, full of tourists buying stuff. I spent over 100 euros on a Porto strip for my son and a Portugal trackie top for my daughter. A Hibs/hearts shop in Edinburgh maybe isn't a daft idea.I spent a few days in Algarve a couple of weeks ago and have seen the shops in several places . The one in Alvor ( mini Ireland from what I`ve seen on several daytime visits so sure Hibs shirts and scarves would be welcomed ) looked busy the day I was there and that was at quiet afternoon time . Likewise in Carvoeiro ( 2 shops ) which is also a small village . Several clubs from Algarve have been in first division in Portugal in recent years but I suppose locals will be used to shops selling stuff of Benfica / Oporto / Sporting - I say that because unfortunately tourists in centre of Edinburgh might buy shirts of Celtic and to a lesser extent Rangers ( maybe Scotland too though sport wouldn`t matter - water polo if Scotland has a national team in wp nearly as popular as football shirt probably ) but only if Hibs ( or neighbours Edinburgh City / Hearts /Spartans ) if we have prolonged success at international club level or we carry out a big campaign ( see above ) to attract tourists etc

Lancs Harp
04-08-2018, 09:46 PM
I spent a few days in Algarve a couple of weeks ago and have seen the shops in several places . The one in Alvor ( mini Ireland from what I`ve seen on several daytime visits so sure Hibs shirts and scarves would be welcomed ) looked busy the day I was there and that was at quiet afternoon time . Likewise in Carvoeiro ( 2 shops ) which is also a small village . Several clubs from Algarve have been in first division in Portugal in recent years but I suppose locals will be used to shops selling stuff of Benfica / Oporto / Sporting - I say that because unfortunately tourists in centre of Edinburgh might buy shirts of Celtic and to a lesser extent Rangers ( maybe Scotland too though sport wouldn`t matter - water polo if Scotland has a national team in wp nearly as popular as football shirt probably ) but only if Hibs ( or neighbours Edinburgh City / Hearts /Spartans ) if we have prolonged success at international club level or we carry out a big campaign ( see above ) to attract tourists etc

Just out of interest why do you assume rangers to a "lesser extent"? I would imagine English people probably make up the one of if not the biggest visitor groups to Edinburgh, Rangers are easily the most popular Scottish club in England. No accounting for taste I know.

RoYO!
04-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Unbelievable

I’d actually heard the festival was second! In the region of 4.5 million tickets sold!

CLASS OF 72 -73
04-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Just out of interest why do you assume rangers to a "lesser extent"? I would imagine English people probably make up the one of if not the biggest visitor groups to Edinburgh, Rangers are easily the most popular Scottish club in England. No accounting for taste I know.

Rangers are not the most popular Scottish club in England --- Just the most sympathised and anti Irish

bodhibs
04-08-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm torn, as much as I want increased gates and I think there's a place for making more of our brand, I'd hate to see any Hibs fan missing out on a ticket because we're selling to some randoms who are here for a few days laugh and some tartan. It's been increasingly difficult to meet demand for some games of late, time for the corners anyone?

Lancs Harp
04-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Rangers are not the most popular Scottish club in England --- Just the most sympathised and anti Irish

Sorry fella but rangers are easily the most popular scottish club in England, I'd comfortably say they enjoyed more support here than all the rest put together including celtic.

Hibbyradge
04-08-2018, 10:26 PM
I'm torn, as much as I want increased gates and I think there's a place for making more of our brand, I'd hate to see any Hibs fan missing out on a ticket because we're selling to some randoms who are here for a few days laugh and some tartan. It's been increasingly difficult to meet demand for some games of late, time for the corners anyone?

Have we ever sold out the South Stand for a category B game?

IberianHibernian
04-08-2018, 11:03 PM
Just out of interest why do you assume rangers to a "lesser extent"? I would imagine English people probably make up the one of if not the biggest visitor groups to Edinburgh, Rangers are easily the most popular Scottish club in England. No accounting for taste I know.I`ve spent most of the last 35 years living in Spain , Portugal and France but also lived in different parts of Engand in 80s and 90s when I did notice that Rangers were surprisingly popular with a lot of English people including some with almost no family ties with Scotland . I doubt many English tourists buy Celtic or Rangers merchandise as gifts for relatives since they can probably buy them in sports shops in England or online obviously . People from further afield may be interested in buying souvenirs but I`m sure Celtic as regular CL qualifiers will be much more popular than Rangers for that .

Lancs Harp
04-08-2018, 11:06 PM
I`ve spent most of the last 35 years living in Spain , Portugal and France but also lived in different parts of Engand in 80s and 90s when I did notice that Rangers were surprisingly popular with a lot of English people including some with almost no family ties with Scotland . I doubt many English tourists buy Celtic or Rangers merchandise as gifts for relatives since they can probably buy them in sports shops in England or online obviously . People from further afield may be interested in buying souvenirs but I`m sure Celtic as regular CL qualifiers will be much more popular than Rangers for that .

Can agree with that mate.

Austinho
04-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Who is the person at the club for posters to contact with their ideas?

WhileTheChief..
04-08-2018, 11:11 PM
This chat comes up each year. Likewise, Hearts fans say the same.

Not a a popular opinion but the demand simply isn’t there from tourists. If anyone wants to come to a game they’ll find out about it online.

Theres next to no chance that a random foreigner on the high street is going to buy tickets from a pop up stall or whatever to go to Easter Rd.

Check out the fringe program. Literally thousands of shows competing for a wee bit of their time over a few weeks period. A lot of folk have their trips planned out and know what they’re going to see in advance.

Also, you’re average Fringe going type is not your typical football fan. Bit of a sweeping statement there but hey-ho!

You know, the type of folk that are into performaing arts, book readings, pottery shows and the like.

Not usually the kind of folk I see in the bars on Easter Rd. They’re more likely to be in those hipster bars in Leith that we all hate so much!

Its also the kinda thing that we slag English clubs off for. Stadiums full of tourists taking selfies. Do we really want or need that?

Anyways, there’s no room for them anymore.

beensaidbefore
04-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Been saying this for ages. A few stalls on the High Street. Even have Hibs v Hearts on either side of the street for a bit 'rivalry', I'm sure we could sell a few bits of merchandise.

dp00
04-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Never understood why we don’t open a Edinburgh sports shop for Fringe

Could have hibs, hearts , Edinburgh rugby , Edinburgh city etc merchandise sold in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergos
05-08-2018, 04:59 AM
A few good points made already here and they are right to say that it would be a poor show for regulars to miss out on a ticket due to seasonal tourist or someone looking for a half hibs half hearts scarf.......the type of supporter who would rather take a picture of a goal celebration rather than enjoy the moment themselves. Its not done the atmosphere in grounds like old Trafford much good.

Look no further than edinburgh airport for a commercial insight into what is demanded from the tourist / festival trade....front of store in the sports shop as recent as this week youll find Celtic stuff, sad.

And finally......Hibs have always been cool and hip, well to me anyway, doesnt matter if theres breen 5k in the ground or otherwise.

GGTTH

Brizo
05-08-2018, 05:23 AM
This chat comes up each year. Likewise, Hearts fans say the same.

Not a a popular opinion but the demand simply isn’t there from tourists. If anyone wants to come to a game they’ll find out about it online.

Theres next to no chance that a random foreigner on the high street is going to buy tickets from a pop up stall or whatever to go to Easter Rd.

Check out the fringe program. Literally thousands of shows competing for a wee bit of their time over a few weeks period. A lot of folk have their trips planned out and know what they’re going to see in advance.

Also, you’re average Fringe going type is not your typical football fan. Bit of a sweeping statement there but hey-ho!

You know, the type of folk that are into performaing arts, book readings, pottery shows and the like.

Not usually the kind of folk I see in the bars on Easter Rd. They’re more likely to be in those hipster bars in Leith that we all hate so much!

Its also the kinda thing that we slag English clubs off for. Stadiums full of tourists taking selfies. Do we really want or need that?

Anyways, there’s no room for them anymore.

:agree:

If football fans visiting Edinburgh want to take in a game they'll have already done their research on us.

We should be concentrating on building our core local support and while crowds are great just now, its that core support which sustains the club in the bad times. The club already have programmes to engage with the schools and youth organisations but reaching out to new immigrant communities and the large amount of people who've moved here from other parts of the UK is a far greater use of time and resource than trying to get Festival hipsters to be one visit Hibsters.

Chic Murray
05-08-2018, 05:40 AM

How many Portimaonese strips did they sell though?

They are the local team in Alvor. If such a shop operated in Edinburgh, it would be selling ugly sister tops, and English premiership.

Suggests tourists aren't too interested in local teams, no?

ps I know Forca Portugal doesn't sell Portimaonese tops - which shows you what provincial teams are up against. :agree:

dirtydirk
05-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Remember we had the festival cup a few years back and it was a total let down.

weecounty hibby
05-08-2018, 08:48 AM
How many Portimaonese strips did they sell though?

They are the local team in Alvor. If such a shop operated in Edinburgh, it would be selling ugly sister tops, and English premiership.

Suggests tourists aren't too interested in local teams, no?

ps I know Forca Portugal doesn't sell Portimaonese tops - which shows you what provincial teams are up against. :agree:

Correct, they don't, nor do they do the local team Alvorense. Probably because tourists wouldn't be very interested in them. They both had their own shops/clubs, one in Alvor and one in Portamao. That wasn't my point though. My point was tourists spending money on merchandise as souvenirs or gifts, not match tickets necessarily either

Chic Murray
05-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Correct, they don't, nor do they do the local team Alvorense. Probably because tourists wouldn't be very interested in them. They both had their own shops/clubs, one in Alvor and one in Portamao. That wasn't my point though. My point was tourists spending money on merchandise as souvenirs or gifts, not match tickets necessarily either

Thanks, I didn't even know Alvor had a team!

My point was that tourists, especially day trippers, are unlikely to be aware that Hibs and Hearts exist. If Alvor and Portimao can't tap into the tourist market, then how can we?

My feeling is that to generate any significant volume of sales, you have to be an internationally recognised brand. Sadly, Hibs are not in that category (yet) :greengrin.

I'd have thought the best way for the club to guage the market is through online sales. If there is a surge in overseas orders, then there may be a market.

Don't forget the Ugly Sisters both had shops in Edinburgh, with limited success.

PatHead
05-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Thought we were opening a shop at Edinburgh airport with Hearts?

weecounty hibby
05-08-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks, I didn't even know Alvor had a team!

My point was that tourists, especially day trippers, are unlikely to be aware that Hibs and Hearts exist. If Alvor and Portimao can't tap into the tourist market, then how can we?

My feeling is that to generate any significant volume of sales, you have to be an internationally recognised brand. Sadly, Hibs are not in that category (yet) :greengrin.

I'd have thought the best way for the club to guage the market is through online sales. If there is a surge in overseas orders, then there may be a market.

Don't forget the Ugly Sisters both had shops in Edinburgh, with limited success.
Alvorense play at an amateur level but have a decent wee stadium and a club. I had lunch in the wee club a couple of times, it's right on the beach front. I get your point but a pop up shop during the summer/festival is surely worth a try and at least test the waters

Chic Murray
05-08-2018, 02:02 PM
Alvorense play at an amateur level but have a decent wee stadium and a club. I had lunch in the wee club a couple of times, it's right on the beach front. I get your point but a pop up shop during the summer/festival is surely worth a try and at least test the waters

Right, I know the stadium. Next to the indoor pool.

Love Alvor, stayed at the Luna Bay. Plenty walks on the boardwalk. Amazing restaurants too.

Maybe they are the ones missing a trick. I was keen to get a Portimao strip, but the club shop was closed. They are looking good these days. Saw them beat Sporting a couple of years back. I think they've got a new stand now.

A pop up shop can't do any harm promoting Hibs, but I cant see it being much of a money spinner.