PDA

View Full Version : Ballingarry memorial

eaststandJJ
04-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Further to last time, I went to Ballingarry. It is a small place and the people were friendly although unaware of the link to Hibernian.

Carheenlea
04-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Further to last time, I went to Ballingarry. It is a small place and the people were friendly although unaware of the link to Hibernian.

All the more reason to change that.
A plaque that could be gifted to the local church in tribute to Canon Hannon similar to the one that was commissioned for display in St Patrick’s Church to commemorate the founding of Hibernian FC might be a worthy project. St Patricks Branch have been a very proactive group with some decent projects to their name, and I wonder if this, or any other ideas would be something that might interest them for future endeavours? Something I’d definitely be keen to support.

eaststandJJ
04-08-2018, 09:44 PM
A plaque that could be gifted to the local church in tribute to Canon Hannon similar to the one that was commissioned for display in St Patrick’s Church to commemorate the founding of Hibernian FC might be a worthy project. St Patricks Branch have been a very proactive group with some decent projects to their name, and I wonder if this, or any other ideas would be something that might interest them for future endeavours? Something I’d definitely be keen to support.
Thanks. Me too. Am sure it'd be easy to contact the church and community council.

IberianHibernian
04-08-2018, 09:47 PM
A plaque that could be gifted to the local church in tribute to Canon Hannon similar to the one that was commissioned for display in St Patrick’s Church to commemorate the founding of Hibernian FC might be a worthy project. St Patricks Branch have been a very proactive group with some decent projects to their name, and I wonder if this, or any other ideas would be something that might interest them for future endeavours? Something I’d definitely be keen to support.I agree that it would be great if something could be arranged which would also please locals . Seem to remember something about members of London Hibernian SC visiting Ballingarry about 6 or 7 years ago .

eaststandJJ
04-08-2018, 10:00 PM
I agree that it would be great if something could be arranged which would also please locals . Seem to remember something about members of London Hibernian SC visiting Ballingarry about 6 or 7 years ago .

Maybe contacting the club to get its thoughts would help? Celtic have a great sports ground and statue in county Sligo. We don't need to do as big a thing but a memorial in the village would be neat.

calumb
05-08-2018, 07:39 AM

The lads from the local football club are definitely aware of the link as about 15 years ago I worked with the club president and he showed me information they had gathered on Father Hannon and his role in early Hibs. I think they did make contact with Hibs but I don't think they got much of a response.

Maybe you should make contact with these guys as the PR at Hibs has certainly improved these days maybe something could be done to support Ballingary afc in someway.

eaststandJJ
05-08-2018, 07:52 AM
The lads from the local football club are definitely aware of the link as about 15 years ago I worked with the club president and he showed me information they had gathered on Father Hannon and his role in early Hibs. I think they did make contact with Hibs but I don't think they got much of a response.

Maybe you should make contact with these guys as the PR at Hibs has certainly improved these days maybe something could be done to support Ballingary afc in someway.

That's great. Sad Hibernian did not follow up in a meaningful way then but who would be the best person or persons to ask at Hibernian now so what you suggest happens?

Jim44
05-08-2018, 09:04 AM
This thread brought back memories of my late wife when I first went by bus to visit her home in a wee village in Fife. I asked for a single ticket carefully and clearly pronouncing every syllable , ‘Single to B-A-LL-I-N-G-R-Y, please.’ The clippie (not Kelty) gave me a blank stare then, Eh? ........ D’you mean, Blingery? :greengrin

Bobby Moore
05-08-2018, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=calumb;5496197]The lads from the local football club are definitely aware of the link as about 15 years ago I worked with the club president and he showed me information they had gathered on Father Hannon and his role in early Hibs. I think they did make contact with Hibs but I don't think they got much of a response.

Maybe you should make contact with these guys as the PR at Hibs has certainly improved these days maybe something could be done to support Ballingary afc in someway.[/QUOTE

A way forward may be to make a query to the Hibernian Historical Trust (contact details are on their web site) they played the main role in the restoration of Cannon Hannons grave stone at the Grange Cemerty (again details of this project are available on their website)
They may be a good point of initial contact and may be able to liaise with club with a view to taking the matter forward?
I know from personal experience that the Trust really does try their very best when matter pertaining to the clubs heritage arise.

green leaves
05-08-2018, 11:44 AM
* Hannan.
deary me

calumb
06-08-2018, 03:32 PM
* Hannan.
deary me

That was my fault as Hannon is my surname so my predictive texting took over.

eaststandJJ
06-08-2018, 05:33 PM
I will mail the Historical Trust and see what it thinks. A wee plaque or something classy would be nice.

Phil MaGlass
06-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Maybe even a wee friendly with the team next season as a warm up to our next Euro jaunt.

eaststandJJ
06-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Or annual or biannual game for community or health teams or programmes. Charity run fundraisers etc.

calumb
06-08-2018, 06:51 PM
I will mail the Historical Trust and see what it thinks. A wee plaque or something classy would be nice.

Good idea, if they are interested, I can contact the guy in Ireland and see if the local football team have any ideas

eaststandJJ
06-08-2018, 08:01 PM
Good idea, if they are interested, I can contact the guy in Ireland and see if the local football team have any ideas

You're on. If I get a reply I'll post it up here. Hopefully, we can do something he'd be proud of and people in the village remember us by.

eaststandJJ
06-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Have mailed Hibernian Historical Trust. Here goes.

green leaves
06-08-2018, 09:41 PM
That was my fault as Hannon is my surname so my predictive texting took over.

you weren't the only one bud,would be a shame to end up with a tribute to our clubs co founder and misspell his name.