PDA

View Full Version : Athens

St Pauli Hibee
03-08-2018, 12:46 PM
How many folk are still out and about in Athens just now. ??

I'm not due to fly until tomorrow and was wondering what people are doing today ??

Lancs Harp
03-08-2018, 01:04 PM
How many folk are still out and about in Athens just now. ??

I'm not due to fly until tomorrow and was wondering what people are doing today ??

Probably lying low and nursing a bad head.:wink:

marinello59
03-08-2018, 01:11 PM
We are staying in Athens tonight, no plans yet though. If there is a bar we can all head to though we’d be up for it .

St Pauli Hibee
03-08-2018, 01:20 PM
We are staying in Athens tonight, no plans yet though. If there is a bar we can all head to though we’d be up for it .

PM'd you mate

18Craig75
03-08-2018, 01:32 PM
Got to the airport to find out or flight had been cancelled. Now flying to Heathrow later, staying over night and flying home first thing in the morning.

Not feeling the sharpest today, so could’ve done without this [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernian Verse
03-08-2018, 01:33 PM
We're all back at the Athens Sports Bar. About 20 here at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

pacoluna
03-08-2018, 01:41 PM
Still in Athens leave tomorrow.

IrnBru22
03-08-2018, 01:44 PM
Still in Tripoli but getting the bus to Athens soon, would be keen to meet up with folk for a beer.

Green-Hibee-7
03-08-2018, 04:25 PM
We are in Athens till tomorrow. Are yous all bevvying at the sports bar then? If so we will all go there!

Phil MaGlass
03-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Hopefully we can get past Molde, might be another trip to Athens if we get Olympiacos.

BullsCloseHibs
03-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Hopefully we can get past Molde, might be another trip to Athens if we get Olympiacos.

I'd be very much up for that!

St Pauli Hibee
03-08-2018, 06:43 PM
About 20 in Athens Sports Bar just now

Hermit Crab
04-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Having done many Euro trips with Hibs, friendly and competitive I can honestly say Athens was the worst place I've ever been to, this was my first time in Greece. An absolute hovel of a place, graffiti on ever building, hookers that look like if you went within 10ft of them your willy would drop off, junkies in doorways jagging up and just people in general hanging about looking like they are up to no good.

Tripolis was, on the other hand a lovely little town full of friendly people and nice to walk around.

marinello59
04-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Having done many Euro trips with Hibs, friendly and competitive I can honestly say Athens was the worst place I've ever been to, this was my first time in Greece. An absolute hovel of a place, graffiti on ever building, hookers that look like if you went within 10ft of them your willy would drop off, junkies in doorways jagging up and just people in general hanging about looking like they are up to no good.

Tripolis was, on the other hand a lovely little town full of friendly people and nice to walk around.

Athens isn’t the most attractive City in the world but we loved it. Aye, it’s rough around the edges but the people were fantastically friendly.

Hermit Crab
04-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Athens isn’t the most attractive City in the world but we loved it. Aye, it’s rough around the edges but the people were fantastically friendly.

Maybe I just wasn't there long enough to its better areas but everywhere we went it felt like we had eyes on us with dodgy characters casing us.

After the game when we got dropped off at Ominoia square we all went to the only pub that was open in the area, the staff were great and done a roaring trade in beer and kebabs and there was maybe around 30-40 of us all sitting having a good time and there was a great atmosphere amongst us, there was even kids there with their dads all having a great laugh, I noticed a dodgy looking character all covered in tattoos walking up and down eying us up and he was swinging a beer bottle around and lurking just out of view of us were 3 black guys all dressed smartly with nice clothes and good watches etc, they were also watching us. They then started to approach us and the guy with bottle who had seemingly went unnoticed by the rest of us walked to within around 6ft of a Hibby who had his back to him and the boy lifted the bottle as if he was going to hit him but one of the 3 black guys waved his hand out in front of him as if to say no, don't do it and the guy with bottle swiftly disappeared into one of the side streets.

Now I don't know what was being planned there and I do not know if the black guys and the bottle man were together but it appeared that they knew each other as the bottle man kept looking over to them. Maybe they didn't fancy their chances against all of us but I'm glad nothing came of it. The 3 black guys disappeared soon after as well.

I just didn't feel safe at any point in that city either during the day or at night.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-08-2018, 08:03 AM
Maybe they've been following you since the journey from Blackburn - Preston! :-)

Hibernian Verse
05-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Athens isn’t the most attractive City in the world but we loved it. Aye, it’s rough around the edges but the people were fantastically friendly.Agreed. We started talking to what turned out to be a biker gang of sorts on Friday night and they were all really sound. Spoke great English and, to my surprise, all supported different clubs. Olympiakos, Panathanikos and Atromitos mainly but they were all best pals. They all had one thing in common though - they hated AEK Athens. Said their fans were the worst of the worst, so I explained we have a team like that in Scotland...

Kojock
05-08-2018, 08:13 AM

Even worse than Musselburgh 😂
Just back midnight last night after our flight on Friday was cancelled. Our hotel was next to Omonia Square and we walked about at all times of day and night and never felt unsafe. Was having a good laugh and a drink with the locals in Grasi area at 4am yesterday and again never felt unsafe.

Hibernian Verse
05-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Even worse than Musselburgh [emoji23]
Just back midnight last night after our flight on Friday was cancelled. Our hotel was next to Omonia Square and we walked about at all times of day and night and never felt unsafe. Was having a good laugh and a drink with the locals in Grasi area at 4am yesterday and again never felt unsafe.Not to mention the undercover policeman at the Sports Bar...

fife hfc
05-08-2018, 09:24 AM
Athens is a dump and only stayed one night, the two previous nights were in Tripoli. Even coming into the city it looked run down. Saying that the only time I felt like I had to watch myself was yesterday morning waiting for the taxi to arrive (about 4am) but we were staying just off Omnia Square. I don’t think I’d hurry to go back.

In Tripoli we stayed in an Air bnb in the residential area off the centre. It also a bit run down, abandoned houses and unfinished buildings but that is a consequence of the near bankruptcy the country faced a few years ago. I never once felt threatened in Tripoli and the people were very nice.

Kojock
05-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Not to mention the undercover policeman at the Sports Bar...

Aye he had the measure of you mate 😂

Earlydelivery
05-08-2018, 10:07 AM
8 of us stayed 10mins from Omonia Sq ... felt safe even 5am after game .. drank in the same bar Omonia Sq ... young guy with the beard was always working great trip loved it .

Hermit Crab
05-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Maybe it was just me then but I felt like something could happen at anytime.