PDA

View Full Version : NHC Terry Butcher resigns from Phillipines job.

Jim44
03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Stuck it for a couple of months. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45056364

Brightside
03-08-2018, 11:28 AM
A disgrace of a man.

lyonhibs
03-08-2018, 11:30 AM
That's the dévelopment of football in the Phillipines dodged à massive bullet in the form of that useless ****.

SRHibs
03-08-2018, 11:31 AM
A disgrace of a man.

Bit much. Of a manager, aye.

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Resigning from the job takes away the fear of losing the job.

cleanyman
03-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Bet he took 50 days wages anaw

Useless

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Gardening in the Philippines? No bad work if you can get it.

stoneyburn hibs
03-08-2018, 11:43 AM
This thread is just directly above the Lennon thread, polar opposites.

Scorrie
03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Hope that doesn’t mean he becomes a pundit on BT sport again. He was pretty poor though it was good to see Sutton arguing with him!

we are hibs
03-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Just imagine butcher had been allowed to continue after relegation. That's how deluded he was that he thought that was a genuinely viable option.

SJNB Hibby
03-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Resigning from the job takes away the fear of losing the job.

:not worth

worcesterhibby
03-08-2018, 12:40 PM
The full interview on the BBC makes interesting reading. Extract below.

Former England captain Terry Butcher has quit as Philippines head coach before he had taken charge of a match.
The 59-year-old was appointed on a two-year deal in June, starting this weekend, but he does not believe the right system is in place for the country to be successful. "Maybe it's my own fault and maybe I didn't understand the limitations that would be placed on me, but it got to the stage that my position was untenable" Admitted Butcher, who was sacked by Newport County in 2015. "I have a way of working, a system I like to put into place, however it seems that shouting in players faces that they are 'useless morons' is deemed unacceptable here. Not only that but it turns out I actually have to pick Phillipino players, which makes my scouting system obsolete. Ordinarily I would ask a massive pie eating former part time goalkeeper to watch lower league matches in England and find out which clubs have the best free buffet for visiting scouts. Unfortunately Steve Marsella is too fat to actually get on a plane to get over here, so he has been stuck in a shipping container on route to the Phillipines for the last four months. We still don't actually know where he is, so if there are any Chinese Dock workers reading this, any information would be helpful."

G B Young
03-08-2018, 12:51 PM
Is what Terry Butcher does these days still worthy of such venom from some? He was a disaster as Hibs boss, no question. But the guy's been through a hellish time lately when it comes to family issues and I'd rather move on and embrace the transformation in our club since his departure, which kind of marked a nadir from which we have come back better in every way. Jim Duffy also took us down (or at least into a situation which was too late for McLeish to retrieve) but doesn't get the same flak. Point is, neither Butcher or Duffy TRIED to relegate us, they were simply very poor appointments who weren't up to the job of managing Hibs (the fact both did decent jobs with smaller Scottish clubs shows you that managing Hibs brings a different kind of pressure). Yes I felt a great deal of resentment towards Butcher at the time (having, like many Hibs fans, actually welcomed his arrival!) but for me his time with us is now just a bad memory.

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 12:53 PM
He should be banned from the game in all capacities. He's as bad a pundit as he is a manger, has the most horrific banter imaginable.

worcesterhibby
03-08-2018, 12:54 PM
Is what Terry Butcher does these days still worthy of such venom from some? He was a disaster as Hibs boss, no question. But the guy's been through a hellish time lately when it comes to family issues and I'd rather move on and embrace the transformation in our club since his departure, which kind of marked a nadir from which we have come back better in every way. Jim Duffy also took us down (or at least into a situation which was too late for McLeish to retrieve) but doesn't get the same flak. Point is, neither Butcher or Duffy TRIED to relegate us, they were simply very poor appointments who weren't up to the job of managing Hibs. Yes I felt a great deal of resentment towards Butcher at the time (having, like many Hibs fans, actually welcomed his arrival!) but for me it's now just a bad memory.

There's actually only one post on this thread that could be described as containing "venom" and the guy has already been pulled up for it. The rest are mostly humorous or at least fairly restrained. Have you actually read the posts ?

CropleyWasGod
03-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Former England captain Terry Butcher has quit as Philippines head coach before he had taken charge of a match.
The 59-year-old was appointed on a two-year deal in June, starting this weekend, but he does not believe the right system is in place for the country to be successful. "Maybe it's my own fault and maybe I didn't understand the limitations that would be placed on me, but it got to the stage that my position was untenable" Admitted Butcher, who was sacked by Newport County in 2015. "I have a way of working, a system I like to put into place, however it seems that shouting in players faces that they are 'useless morons' is deemed unacceptable here. Not only that but it turns out I actually have to pick Phillipino players, which makes my scouting system obsolete. Ordinarily I would ask a massive pie eating former part time goalkeeper to watch lower league matches in England and find out which clubs have the best free buffet for visiting scouts. Unfortunately Steve Marsella is too fat to actually get on a plane to get over here, so he has been stuck in a shipping container on route to the Phillipines for the last four months. We still don't actually know where he is, so if there are any Chinese Dock workers reading this, any information would be helpful."

:top marks

Since90+2
03-08-2018, 01:41 PM
A disgrace of a man.

That's harsh. He was a ***** manager right enough but would say that's abit strong.

Smartie
03-08-2018, 01:49 PM
I like Terry Butcher.

He was a terrible Hibs manager, but was the latest in a succession of people who all played a part in us ending up in a mess, not to mention the gentleman who appointed them all.

It's unlikely that a former Rangers and England captain who was unsuccessful as Hibs manager was ever going to be popular on here, but I have never minded his punditry and found him to have quite a likeable off-field personality.

The jobs he takes on seem to get increasingly obscure and increasingly unlikely to be successful, but I almost wish he could manage to be a success somewhere else. I remember when his Inverness side came to ER and played us off the park the week before he took over us, so I still there's something in him somewhere.

Calderwood is the manager I retain the most contempt for. That sweeties business was disgraceful, the lack of commitment he showed to us was appalling. He actually inherited a half-decent base to start with from Yogi but dismantled it, leaving Pat Fenlon with an absolute car crash of a club that he did well to keep afloat for as long as he did.

Butcher was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time to finish off a job that had been going on for years, and particularly given how well we are doing now I don't find myself getting wound up by him. I certainly don't derive any pleasure from seeing a man who has lost his son struggling in a job in the Philippines.

snooky
03-08-2018, 01:52 PM
Butcher was not my type of manager however IMO, he was better than Colin Calderwood - and that is by no means a compliment.

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 01:56 PM
Did he insist on taking his salary after he was fired from us?

Since90+2
03-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Did he insist on taking his salary after he was fired from us?

If an employer I had no emotional connection to fired me and it meant being paid for a year afterwards id take it.

G B Young
03-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I like Terry Butcher.

He was a terrible Hibs manager, but was the latest in a succession of people who all played a part in us ending up in a mess, not to mention the gentleman who appointed them all.

It's unlikely that a former Rangers and England captain who was unsuccessful as Hibs manager was ever going to be popular on here, but I have never minded his punditry and found him to have quite a likeable off-field personality.

The jobs he takes on seem to get increasingly obscure and increasingly unlikely to be successful, but I almost wish he could manage to be a success somewhere else. I remember when his Inverness side came to ER and played us off the park the week before he took over us, so I still there's something in him somewhere.

Calderwood is the manager I retain the most contempt for. That sweeties business was disgraceful, the lack of commitment he showed to us was appalling. He actually inherited a half-decent base to start with from Yogi but dismantled it, leaving Pat Fenlon with an absolute car crash of a club that he did well to keep afloat for as long as he did.

Butcher was the wrong man in the wrong place at the wrong time to finish off a job that had been going on for years, and particularly given how well we are doing now I don't find myself getting wound up by him. I certainly don't derive any pleasure from seeing a man who has lost his son struggling in a job in the Philippines.

I agree with most of that. I never thought he was a bad bloke per se. Just an especially awful Hibs boss.

Tom English explains here why he's a Terry Butcher fan (scroll down to the end of the feature):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44783648

Famous Fiver
03-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Can the Philippines be relegated?

Forza Fred
03-08-2018, 03:25 PM
I have never met Terry Butcher but a mutual acquaintance says he's a top bloke, so any comments I may make are not on his character alone.

I do know however that he arrived in Sydney to take over the reins of Sydney FC to much media fanfare.

FAst forward a few weeks and the late journo of the Sydney Morning Herald Mike Cockerill, described his methods as prehistoric, and publicly canvassed for his sacking.

Seems he did ok at Inverness, and with the benefit of hindsight, should have tried to see out his career there.

Lemonade
03-08-2018, 03:35 PM
If an employer I had no emotional connection to fired me and it meant being paid for a year afterwards id take it.

As would I but I wouldn't gloat about it during a radio interview.

Since90+2
03-08-2018, 03:36 PM
As would I but I wouldn't gloat about it during a radio interview.

If I didn't get along with my boss I might do.

Lemonade
03-08-2018, 04:29 PM
If I didn't get along with my boss I might do.

Haha , as might I actually :greengrin

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 04:38 PM

He's a rich man who got us relegated. If he had any decency he wouldn't be insisting on getting paid: as lots of managers do if they do a poor job, never mind a catastrophic job.

cabbageandribs1875
03-08-2018, 04:40 PM
I like Terry Butcher.

all of this, well said :agree:

judas
03-08-2018, 08:00 PM
A disgrace of a man.

Agreed. A shameless charlatan.

jacomo
03-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Is what Terry Butcher does these days still worthy of such venom from some? He was a disaster as Hibs boss, no question. But the guy's been through a hellish time lately when it comes to family issues and I'd rather move on and embrace the transformation in our club since his departure, which kind of marked a nadir from which we have come back better in every way. Jim Duffy also took us down (or at least into a situation which was too late for McLeish to retrieve) but doesn't get the same flak. Point is, neither Butcher or Duffy TRIED to relegate us, they were simply very poor appointments who weren't up to the job of managing Hibs (the fact both did decent jobs with smaller Scottish clubs shows you that managing Hibs brings a different kind of pressure). Yes I felt a great deal of resentment towards Butcher at the time (having, like many Hibs fans, actually welcomed his arrival!) but for me his time with us is now just a bad memory.

:agree:

Spot on. This thread is embarrassing.

Is It On....
03-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Gardening in the Philippines? No bad work if you can get it.

Have you seen their president - makes Dirty Harry look like a saint! TB, the wage thief, may have to go on the run to avoid his wrath!!

neil7908
03-08-2018, 09:19 PM

It's not really the fact he's a rubbish manager that makes me hate him. It's all the bullying and scapegoating of the players, especially they younger ones.

Yes footballers are paid lots of money but that doesn't mean they should get treated like that. Whether it was him or Malpas, it's been made pretty clear subsequently that he was an unpleasant man who relied on nasty, aggressive stuff. That shouldn't be allowed in football any more and I certainly don't want it at my club.

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Resigning from the job takes away the fear of losing the job.Making yourself unemployed takes away the fear of being unemployed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Just imagine butcher had been allowed to continue after relegation. That's how deluded he was that he thought that was a genuinely viable option.We'd be floating about in League 1 right now with raith

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2018, 09:52 PM
There's actually only one post on this thread that could be described as containing "venom" and the guy has already been pulled up for it. The rest are mostly humorous or at least fairly restrained. Have you actually read the posts ?Was just gonna reply the same most of the posts are humorous and poking fun nothing else...yes he had a tragedy in his personal life that no parent should have to suffer ...but he's historically one of our worst managers so he so he ain't gonna get any love off hibs fans anytime soon in a football sense. When the incident happened with his son...there were plenty of posts on here conveying sympathy and condolences

heidtheba
03-08-2018, 10:37 PM
Actually loved that we got him, liked him until 'that run' and then realised his management style was pants.
However...he didn't intentionally go out to daffy duck our year and, given what he's been through, I don't wish him any ill will. The guy's suffered in ways that make relegation look incredibly minor. I'd actually like him to get a few breaks in life.

heretoday
03-08-2018, 11:02 PM
He's not a bad bloke.

Hibby70
04-08-2018, 12:34 AM
He's not a bad bloke.

Maurice Malpas however.....

GonzoReturns
04-08-2018, 12:37 AM
So what

Dashing Bob S
04-08-2018, 01:58 AM

Rubbish. What’s embarrassing about it? There are a wide range of opinions on here from the incontestable worthy of scorn (terrible Hibs manager) to the incontestable worthy of sympathy (his personal family circumstances). There is personal derision about his character and also considerable praise of it. I’d say it’s a balanced thread.

On a personal level I’ve been in his company a few times and found him to be a warm and pleasant individual. No manager takes on a job wanting to fail and Terry Butcher was desperate to succeed at Hibs.

Yes, he made an arse of it and he should be criticized on a fans forum for that. Ironic that his failure sparked a revolution and the club is now almost twice the size as it was back then.

FilipinoHibs
04-08-2018, 03:35 AM
Have you seen their president - makes Dirty Harry look like a saint! TB, the wage thief, may have to go on the run to avoid his wrath!!

Live between the Philippines and Singapore and Butcher would not fit into the culture of cooperation and nobody takes the blame. Everybody is polite here even the teenagers! Butcher i think would rapidly upset people here.

Sammy7nil
04-08-2018, 10:26 AM

:greengrin

Smartie
04-08-2018, 10:58 AM

It took me until "free buffet" to realise this was a wind-up!

chrisski33
04-08-2018, 01:22 PM
dont know Butcher but i think if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have achieved what we have since and prob wouldnt have Lennon. If he kept us up i reckon the chain of events would have been different.

Onion
04-08-2018, 02:31 PM

Agree the person who appointed Butcher should carry the greatest responsibility, and we can now reflect on how well the club has recovered. However, Butcher did not work for free or with his hands tied. He took a big wage and continued to take our money after he was sacked for abjectly failing the club and its fans. His performance in the job was SO BAD, he ought to have apologised to us all and handed a chunk of his wages back as compensation for the mess he left us in. Duffy was nearly as bad.

Famous Fiver
04-08-2018, 06:03 PM
An interesting view that if Butcher had not relegated us the last three years success would not have happened.

Got a ring to it.

Smartie
04-08-2018, 06:13 PM
I've seen Hibs relegated twice, and to be fair to them they've responded brilliantly to it twice.

The clear out and start again approach was exactly what was needed the most recent time, but would probably not really have been accepted at any time prior to that. Whilst we were all fairly unhappy, none of us really thought we were all that bad.

Dundee United have decided to muddle along the same path as before and it has cost them dear.