PDA

View Full Version : Super John McGinn

PatHead
03-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Thought he was immense last night. Apart from supporting Flo and scoring the crucial goal he was class covered so much ground. He really is the real deal. We’ve got McGinn.........

Stevie Reid
03-08-2018, 08:45 AM
Funnily enough, up until he scored, we didn't think he was really in the game. Good finish and was absolutely immense in the second half though. BBC match report described him perfectly.

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 08:46 AM
He is simply colossal. It's impossible to put into words how I feel about him

Famous Fiver
03-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Don't know if there is anything about it on other threads but just how much is he worth and what has he contributed to Hibs?

Helped win the Scottish Cup so brought a whole new dimension of income to the club.

Helped get promotion from Championship. More income.

Helped gain a European place last season through a high league placing. More income

Helped us through two qualifying rounds this season with a third and possibly more to come. More income.

I am no accountant but we must have brought in millions due to all of this and John McGinn has been central to that. Any of our money men care to put a figure on it?

Oh, and by the way we could get anything from 2 to 4 million pounds if and when he goes.

Has there ever been a player who has contributed more in terms of pounds and pence, not to mention delivering the holy grail?

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Don't know if there is anything about it on other threads but just how much is he worth and what has he contributed to Hibs?

Helped win the Scottish Cup so brought a whole new dimension of income to the club.

Helped gain a European place last season through a high league placing. More income

Helped us through two qualifying rounds this season with a third and possibly more to come. More income.

I am no accountant but we must have brought in millions due to all of this and John McGinn has been central to that. Any of our money men care to put a figure on it?

Oh, and by the way we could get anything from 2 to 4 million pounds if and when he goes.

Has there ever been a player who has contributed more in terms of pounds and pence, not to mention delivering the holy grail?

Was thinking this myself last night, in my lifetime I don't think any single player has done more for Hibs.

overdrive
03-08-2018, 08:50 AM
Funnily enough, up until he scored, we didn't think he was really in the game. Good finish and was absolutely immense in the second half though. BBC match report described him perfectly.

I thought the same.

judas
03-08-2018, 08:52 AM
Mcginn is hibs engine and Lennon will need serious funds to replace him.

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Mcginn is hibs engine and Lennon will need serious funds to replace him.

We didn't need serious funds to get him in the first place. He will be so hard to replace but if we're smart we can do it without spending OTT.

Smartie
03-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Exactly how I saw it.

I thought Slivka was the main man in our midfield during the first half, and I remember hearing McGinn's name about 30-35 minutes in and realising that I hadn't even realised he was playing.

Then he scored his excellently-taken goal, and was outstanding during the second half.

The slightly depressing thought that comes to mind now though is how hard it is going to be to replace him. Even if it doesn't happen now, it will happen in a year and I don't see how we go about replacing him within our budget.

I thought much the same about Dylan McGeouch right enough.

Stevie Reid
03-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Exactly how I saw it.

I thought Slivka was the main man in our midfield during the first half, and I remember hearing McGinn's name about 30-35 minutes in and realising that I hadn't even realised he was playing.

Then he scored his excellently-taken goal, and was outstanding during the second half.

The slightly depressing thought that comes to mind now though is how hard it is going to be to replace him. Even if it doesn't happen now, it will happen in a year and I don't see how we go about replacing him within our budget.

Yes, Slivka was excellent during that period, really excited to see what he can do once he gets going properly.

Agree re: McGinn, but we may not necessarily try to go like for like. We could still end up with a dynamic midfield, with different types of player to SJM and DM. Or Slivka could be a direct replacement, he looks capable in his best moments.

Really impressed with Mallan so far, he has sides to his game that I didn't realise. He's such a threat too - three attempts last night, all from outside the box, all on target.

Onion
03-08-2018, 10:16 AM
We’ll miss him badly when gone and our competitors will rejoice. Every ounce a £4m player.

Fambo Jannies
03-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Talksport (Jim White), reporting just now that Brighton might be lining up a bid. Terrible loss if it happens, but at least we're more likely to get a realistic fee. Hope the club have a list of targets in mind!

ToulouseHibs
03-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Not to detract at all from Slivkas performance, but we have been waiting for him to really make his mark since he arrived. NL seems to be really involving him in his 1st choice squad now which should really boost him and hopefully give him a platform to express himself and perform, consistantly. Great game Slivka. GGTTH!!!!!

Smartie
03-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Not to detract at all from Slivkas performance, but we have been waiting for him to really make his mark since he arrived. NL seems to be really involving him in his 1st choice squad now which should really boost him and hopefully give him a platform to express himself and perform, consistantly. Great game Slivka. GGTTH!!!!!

To be fair to Slivka, he's not had much of a chance in his best position.

That's a game and a half that he's played there and been superb.

One of the best things about last night was seeing the performance of players like Slivka and David Gray - players who for various reasons didn't get to do much for us last season but played dominant roles in a strong team performance.

GRA
03-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Brighton now the latest club to potentially be interested in SJM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45059582

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

JXM73
03-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Brighton now the latest club to potentially be interested in SJM

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45059582

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Denied or played down by local press....

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyNaylorArgus/status/1025321620553060352

Excuse the link to twatter

danhibees1875
03-08-2018, 11:27 AM
To be fair to Slivka, he's not had much of a chance in his best position.

That's a game and a half that he's played there and been superb.

One of the best things about last night was seeing the performance of players like Slivka and David Gray - players who for various reasons didn't get to do much for us last season but played dominant roles in a strong team performance.

SLivka's second half at home to Tripolis was really good I thought, playing in the middle suits him. HE makes intelligent runs into space and looks to get into the box (see also his goal v Celtic).

Also, if Boyle sticks away his chance before the defender got back, his ball over the top would have been hailed as a sensational pass. I've not seen it being commented on, but it was perfectly waited and put Boyle through 1 on 1. Slivka will be a good player for us this year.

GlesgaeHibby
03-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Exactly how I saw it.

Agree, Slivka was excellent up until he got the booking and had to then hold back a little. His pass through to Boyle was sublime.

SRHibs
03-08-2018, 11:29 AM

I feel like we’ve been waiting to have him in the centre of the park. Since he’s played centrally he’s been really good IMO.

Thought he was decent last night but probably should’ve been subbed a bit sooner; he looked absolutely goosed.

Blaster
03-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Agree, Slivka was excellent up until he got the booking and had to then hold back a little. His pass through to Boyle was sublime.

I agree. Really good first half but I would have taken him off as soon as they went to 10 men. Was worried he may have got sent off to balance things up as refs tend to do

gogsy23
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Mcginns ability to drive past a player and get in between the ball and opposition players are superb. Not only that he conducts himself very well and is a credit to himself,family and our club

col02
03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
People need to remember when we got McGinn he was a raw young player. The past season or so his strength and drive have kicked on a notch along with him scoring goals. Sometimes worth remembering that to replace a player of his ilk you sometimes need to give a wee bit patience and support to. Mallan for me will play deep at times to try utilise his good feet and passing range but give him a season under Lennon and the coaching staff I think we could see him become pivotal along with Slivka in the engine room.

PatHead
03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
People need to remember when we got McGinn he was a raw young player. The past season or so his strength and drive have kicked on a notch along with him scoring goals. Sometimes worth remembering that to replace a player of his ilk you sometimes need to give a wee bit patience and support to.

That is right. Remember he came with the money we got for Allan. We were all devastated to lose him and look how that worked out.

WeeRussell
03-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Wee peak on JKB to see if the frothing has subsided now we're quite a few hours after us getting through to the next qualifying stage..

Apparently we're weird for still supporting McGinn and referring to him as "SJM" because he 'wants away'. Really we should have turned on him weeks ago and lambasted him for daring to still try his heart out for us and keep the team progressing through europe.

Weird indeed. We really ought to try the tynecastle version of atmosphere going forward... if you can't support the team, don't make any noise at all.

Oh how that cup final 6 years ago has ended us.

greenginger
03-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Over on Kerrydale Street they are still bigging up John McGinn's family Celtic connections.

Seem to forget the abuse his grandad was subject to when he , the Kellys and Whites nearly got the Club into admin back in the early 90's only to be saved by the arrival of Fergus McCann.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12734303.McGinn_leaves_board_-_but_Jack_apos_s_still_all_right/

Jack McGinn left the Celtic board before John was born

lord bunberry
03-08-2018, 01:29 PM
Lisa is a fan :greengrin
https://twitter.com/ldindins/status/1025092822951755776?s=21

jacomo
03-08-2018, 04:53 PM
I feel like we’ve been waiting to have him in the centre of the park. Since he’s played centrally he’s been really good IMO.

Thought he was decent last night but probably should’ve been subbed a bit sooner; he looked absolutely goosed.

Slivka is absolutely a CM.

If SJM goes then this is absolutely the man to step into his shoes.

He can play alongside him too. 😉

jacomo
03-08-2018, 04:57 PM

He’s worth a lot more to us than Celtc are currently offering.

As Lenny says, he’s a £5m player... but with only a year left on his contract, he’s probably available at a discount of that.

How much discount? Not 60%, certainly.

ian cruise
03-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Love the fact that there's a tonne of responses saying "same"

There's class, then there's Hibs class, then there's that.... but I don't know what that is.

lord bunberry
03-08-2018, 06:29 PM
Love the fact that there's a tonne of responses saying "same"

There's class, then there's Hibs class, then there's that.... but I don't know what that is.

Same here, but I like her style

Sammy7nil
03-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Radio 5 Hibs in talks with EPL Brighton about McGinn

Waxy
03-08-2018, 07:28 PM
We’ll look back on him in years ahead as one of our greatest ever players.

bingo70
03-08-2018, 07:37 PM
Radio 5 Hibs in talks with EPL Brighton about McGinn

Sky sports were reporting that earlier, think Lennon has come out and said that’s not true though. Local journalist from down there also said it was likely to be nonsense.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Sky sports were reporting that earlier, think Lennon has come out and said that’s not true though. Local journalist from down there also said it was likely to be nonsense.

Did he not say that he didn't know Anything about it? Quite different if so..?

He also said a week or so ago that the McLaren thing was dead in the water.

bingo70
03-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Did he not say that he didn't know Anything about it? Quite different if so..?

He also said a week or so ago that the McLaren thing was dead in the water.

Fair points.

Be an interesting 48 hours ahead anyway.

gazzag70
03-08-2018, 07:59 PM
Mcginn has been absolutely immense for us,one of the best midfielders in our history,he played a huge part in getting us the Scottish Cup and driving us up the leagues. He will be a massive loss when he goes,irreplaceable really but he leaves with our gratitude and will forever hold legend status.

theonlywayisup
03-08-2018, 08:02 PM
What a great player he's been for Hibs.

"When the time comes to leave, everyone will know," McGinn told BBC Scotland after Hibs progressed 4-3 on aggregate in the Europa League qualifiers.

"I think it's coming at some point but I just need to keep the head down, concentrate on improving and hopefully I'm still doing that."

"It does get tough at times but football's your way of getting out, it's your way to relax and enjoy it and I love playing for this club," McGinn said.

"I have done since I signed and nights like tonight just sum up why it's so special."

PatHead
03-08-2018, 08:03 PM
He would certainly make it into my all time great Hibs team.

cabbageandribs1875
03-08-2018, 08:10 PM

"When the time comes to leave, everyone will know," McGinn told BBC Scotland after Hibs progressed 4-3 on aggregate in the Europa League qualifiers.

"I think it's coming at some point but I just need to keep the head down, concentrate on improving and hopefully I'm still doing that."

"It does get tough at times but football's your way of getting out, it's your way to relax and enjoy it and I love playing for this club," McGinn said.

"I have done since I signed and nights like tonight just sum up why it's so special."

nothing about sjm due to get subbed on the 71st minute on sunday :(

SideBurns
03-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Special player - special man. No matter how much we get for him, it's still gonnae be a sickener when John leaves.

KWJ
03-08-2018, 08:19 PM
We’ll look back on him in years ahead as one of our greatest ever players.

Interesting. As one of the Scottish cup winning team he holds legendary status but greatest ever players?

Love the guy but I'd rather watch Latapy. Has he been a better player for Hibs than Brown? Even Pat McGinley? Has to be remembered that he spent 2 of his 3 years with us in the lower tier.

I'd imagine the 70s generation would scoff at McGinn being out alongside Stanton for his general play.

Great player for sure, one of the greatest I'm no sure. His character helps heaps. Love the guy.

PatHead
03-08-2018, 09:00 PM
Interesting. As one of the Scottish cup winning team he holds legendary status but greatest ever players?

Love the guy but I'd rather watch Latapy. Has he been a better player for Hibs than Brown? Even Pat McGinley? Has to be remembered that he spent 2 of his 3 years with us in the lower tier.

I'd imagine the 70s generation would scoff at McGinn being out alongside Stanton for his general play.

Great player for sure, one of the greatest I'm no sure. His character helps heaps. Love the guy.

I remember Pat Stanton who is still my idol. John McGinn would make it into my all time Hibs team.

The_Horde
04-08-2018, 09:43 AM

Bet her felly wishes he got that question when he was on pointless..

mcfly
04-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Pat McGinley better than mcginn.

Your having a laugh

RoslinInstHibby
04-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Will be genuinely gutted when he moves on, but don't grudge him the move. He has been immense for us and for me....one of our best players in my time watching hibs

Lago
04-08-2018, 03:33 PM
BBC reporting Celtic have made a final offer for McGinn with a deadline on the offer being accepted.

snooky
04-08-2018, 03:42 PM
BBC reporting Celtic have made a final offer for McGinn with a deadline on the offer being accepted.

Nae pressure then. Let's hope Everton or Brighton step in and blow their offer out the water.

GreenProfessor
04-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Craig McClaughlin on Sportscene saying that the deadline has passed, although Celtic still retaining an interest....?

Lago
04-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Nae pressure then. Let's hope Everton or Brighton step in and blow their offer out the water.
Yip may well move things onto hibs advantage.

ancient hibee
04-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Craig McClaughlin on Sportscene saying that the deadline has passed, although Celtic still retaining an interest....?
Presumably there was a deadline with offer number three.

Famous Fiver
04-08-2018, 04:56 PM
I still think there will be English interest before their window shuts.

Results today in the Championship may well concentrate some minds with several Championship sides well capable of meeting a £4/5 million asking price before we even get to Everton or Brighton.

I just hope we still have him on Thursday. We need him against Molde.

If Celtic lose out, how difficult will they be to deal with us for Scott Allan?

Time will tell.

mayo hibee
04-08-2018, 04:59 PM

So basically it wasn't actually a final offer and there wasn't really a deadline. Celtic trying transfer tactics but making a mess of it.

stoneyburn hibs
04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
If he's going this window I really hope it's South. Celtic can do one with their pathetic offers.

He's definitely a Hibernian legend, his enthusiasm is fantastic.

weecounty hibby
04-08-2018, 05:09 PM
Celtic are beginning to look a bit cheap and silly in all of this. SJM is worth more to Hibs than the pathetic bids that they have put in. Now starting to use the press and probably getting a bit nervous that English clubs will meet our valuation and they will lose him. I don't begrudge SJM a move as he has been fantastic for Hibs and really helped get us back on our feet again, I just would rather be able to wish him well and be able to support him in the rest of his career and wont be able to do that if he goes to them.

southsider
04-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Best mid-field player at ER since the great PS. Saw Crops, Micky E, Sauz, Dessie B, to name but a few. His attitude to our cause speaks volume to the man he is. God bless the great SJM.

bawheid
04-08-2018, 06:57 PM
The options are clear to me. £5m or John McGinn in a Hibs strip for a year. Would take either option and no others.

Golden Bear
04-08-2018, 07:04 PM
I remember Pat Stanton who is still my idol. John McGinn would make it into my all time Hibs team.

I totally agree.

bingo70
05-08-2018, 05:21 AM
Sunday mail saying Blackburn rovers have joined the race to sign him.

Jim44
05-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Given the depths we sank to four or five years ago, John McGinn, for me, is the biggest breath of fresh air the club has had for some time. He’s not quite the best but he’s definitely among them.