PDA

View Full Version : What's with the green butcher's aprons?

GRD
03-08-2018, 08:31 AM
Spotted a couple of green butcher's aprons amongst our fans in the tv highlights from last night. What the hell? That crap belongs in Ibrox...

Sylar
03-08-2018, 08:33 AM
I believe the abbreviated version the "yoof" of today use is "GTFOH".

We're into the next round of a European Cup and you want to start a flag debate?

Jog on.

BullsCloseHibs
03-08-2018, 08:34 AM
Totally agree. They are hideous emblems and do not represent my team.

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Spotted a couple of green butcher's aprons amongst our fans in the tv highlights from last night. What the hell? That crap belongs in Ibrox...

The odd flag like that has been present among our support for about 30 years. I think it was a casuals thing originally.

As a republican, Scot Nat and detester of all things Hun (new and old) I quite like it. It neatly subverts the whole UJ thing. I would imagine Huns would hate it for being a disrespectful *******isation of "their" flag. I certainly hope so. :wink:

Carheenlea
03-08-2018, 08:35 AM
You’ll not see many green, white and black ones at Ibrox. Just a flag in Hibs colours - most fans won’t get too hung up about any particular designs I’d imagine. It’s a design that was adopted by the CCS back in the day, and pretty much a part of Hibs fan culture.

Iggy Pope
03-08-2018, 08:38 AM
How many butchers bleed green on their aprons?
Love it.

Elephant Stone
I don't mind it, I reckon it looks pretty smart in green, black and white - and it's our country's flag. A mixture of green and white saltires, the occasion union flag and the occasional tri colour is all good by me.

As for the utter slime that pose for photos making fascist/nazi salutes over it. Where do you even start :faf:

KWJ
I forget the term that I'd be described as for being pro indy and certainly not someone that'd fly a UJ but I have no issue if others want to.

Unionist Hibees or even English/Welsh/NI Hibees. And the green hue makes it ours.

Nae bother.

Wouldn't even have an issue with normal UJs if the beholder had reasonable reasons. Why is it okay to fly a flag of a foreign player's country but not an English flag for say big Marv?

*bows out* :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 08:41 AM
I forget the term that I'd be described as for being pro indy and certainly not someone that'd fly a UJ but I have no issue if others want to.

Unionist Hibees or even English/Welsh/NI Hibees. And the green hue makes it ours.

Nae bother.

Wouldn't even have an issue with normal UJs if the beholder had reasonable reasons. Why is it okay to fly a flag of a foreign player's country but not an English flag for say big Marv?

*bows out* :greengrin

Like it or not, the UJ in a Scottish football context just says Rangers. An English St G's cross with a Hibs badge or slogan would probably be ok though?

Chic Murray
03-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Did ye, aye?

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Like it or not, the UJ in a Scottish football context just says Rangers. An English St G's cross with a Hibs badge or slogan would probably be ok though?

Don't agree at all. Why let them feel like they're the only folk entitled to fly that flag? There will be many Hibs fans who are unionists and probably a few Hibs fans who own that flag just cause it looks pretty cool. It's not Rangers' flag.

BegbieHSC
03-08-2018, 08:45 AM
I don’t mind it. I’m very far from a unionist too.

It’s the old CCS flag. It winds up both Huns and Celtc fans.

The Huns get raging as we’ve ‘defiled’ and ‘mutilated’ their flag.
Celtc get ragin cause it’s the shape of the British flag.

It’s definitely not an expression of support in unionism by any means.

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2018, 08:47 AM

It’s definitely not an expression of support in unionism by any means.

Yeah that's exactly how I see these flags.

:top marks

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Don't agree at all. Why let them feel like they're the only folk entitled to fly that flag? There will be many Hibs fans who are unionists and probably a few Hibs fans who own that flag just cause it looks pretty cool. It's not Rangers' flag.

Each to their own but my gut reaction on seeing it at all is "Rangers" and in a football ground even more so. I can't stand seeing the bloody thing flying above the castle because it besmirches our great city with Rangers-ness. Yeuch.

I can't see it ever being accepted at ER in red, white and blue but feel free to give it a try.

Elephant Stone
03-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Each to their own but my gut reaction on seeing it at all is "Rangers" and in a football ground even more so. I can't stand seeing the bloody thing flying above the castle because it besmirches our great city with Rangers-ness. Yeuch.

I can't see it ever being accepted at ER in red, white and blue but feel free to give it a try.

Nah I think a red white and blue union jack would be out of the question :shocked:

Green and white saltire for me.

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 08:54 AM
Nah I think a red white and blue union jack would be out of the question :shocked:

Green and white saltire for me.

I should clarify (as I already said above) I have no problem with the G/W/B UJ which to me, is a Hibs flag. It's a R/W/B one that says "Huns".

Lancs Harp
03-08-2018, 08:55 AM
Cant believe the morning after we are debating what flags people took to the match. :greengrin

It is an old CCS flag, if you didnt know that where have you been for the last 30 years. I dont identify with the Irish flag but realise our club had original irish roots, I dont get all hissy every time I see the tricolour at a game.

As for feeling free to take a union flag (in red white and blue to the game) and wishing you luck, equally you could ask the old CCS guys to take their green black and white jack down ....... good luck with that one. Our support is wide and diverse, embrace it.

Hibernian FC Inclusive. Its a trademark.

.Sean.
03-08-2018, 08:56 AM
And your ‘butchers apron’ ***** belongs at Celtic Park.

I love it.

G B Young
03-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Like it or not, the UJ in a Scottish football context just says Rangers. An English St G's cross with a Hibs badge or slogan would probably be ok though?An English guy I used to know supported Spurs and Hibs and had a St George's Cross with the Hibs and Spurs badges on it. He took it to our European Games in the 80s and 90s and never got any bother as I recall. The 'Hibs' Union Jacks look good IMHO and have been around for a long time now.

superbam
03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
The green union flag in the hibs context has nothing to do with unionism or Britain, surprised some folk dont know the background to it and/or are only noticing it now

bod
03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
i saw a guy wearing white socks , whats aw that about !

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2018, 09:06 AM
Excuse my ignorance but what's the significance of a butchers apron?

Sean1875
03-08-2018, 09:07 AM
CC FAKIN S :take that :greengrin

Coco Bryce
03-08-2018, 09:08 AM
I saw a young lad with a man bag WTF :confused:

Frazerbob
03-08-2018, 09:08 AM
The Union Flag/Jack is red, white and blue. There are many flags of the World in the same design but different colours (similar to the tri-colour design). They are nothing to do with Britain, the UK, ‘the Union’ or the Huns.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-08-2018, 09:09 AM

Just when this thread was winding down too............. :greengrin:greengrin

Pretty Boy
03-08-2018, 09:14 AM
These colours do run (to about 15 pages on hibs.net)

green day
03-08-2018, 09:14 AM

Butchers Apron, gid yin.

I think you have just outed yourself by using a phrase never uttered by Hibs fans.

The flags you describe are good old CCS flags - and if you dont know that then, respectfully, I suggest that you are not a Hibs fan.

:troll:

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Butchers Apron, gid yin.

I think you have just outed yourself by using a phrase never uttered by Hibs fans.

Hmmm not sure I agree with this part as I know a few Hibs fans who call it that. However I understand where you are coming from as Hibs are not about "politics" or whatever you want to call it - leave that to the uglies from Glasgow.

One Day Soon
03-08-2018, 09:27 AM
The odd flag like that has been present among our support for about 30 years. I think it was a casuals thing originally.

As a republican, Scot Nat and detester of all things Hun (new and old) I quite like it. It neatly subverts the whole UJ thing. I would imagine Huns would hate it for being a disrespectful *******isation of "their" flag. I certainly hope so. :wink:

:agree: As a supporter of the Union, detester of all things The Rangers (and Celtc too) and probably even now a monarchist as well (the thought of a Farage, Salmond or Blair as President instead gives me the total boak) I like it. It does neatly subvert the whole The Rangers UJ image and upsets and confuses the more knee jerk McGlashans as well. I'd imagine both halves of the Ugly Sisters must hate it for completely different reasons. If a JMS and and an ODS can find reasons to like it from completely differing viewpoints, what's not to like.

Plus I don't think anyone else has a version quite like it - it really stands out.

hibbie02
03-08-2018, 09:32 AM

My thoughts exactly. Although having read the rest of the guff, I think I now understand. I know the flag, but never heard of that description....

hhibs
03-08-2018, 09:32 AM
Butchers Apron, gid yin.

The flags you describe are good old CCS flags - and if you dont know that then, respectfully, I suggest that you are not a Hibs fan.

Not at all sure about that,pretty sure I saw version(s) that were not CCS design.

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2018, 09:35 AM
My thoughts exactly. Although having read the rest of the guff, I think I now understand. I know the flag, but never heard of that description....

Ah right ok. I've never heard of it called that either.

WeeRussell
03-08-2018, 09:37 AM
Butchers Apron, gid yin.

Although not a huge fan of this particular flag, it doesn't bother or offend me. However, I didn't know it was a good old CCS flag until reading this thread. I've always followed Hibs without feeling the need to know any details on hooligans.

Can I still be a Hibs fan please?

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 09:39 AM

"Butcher's apron" is a pejorative term for the standard red/white/blue flag. I think the Butcher referred to is the Duke of Cumberland (one of King George II's sons) who led the Union army at Culloden (where of course, Scots fought on both sides for a variety of reasons) and oversaw the brutal aftermath:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Culloden#Repercussions_and_persecution

JeMeSouviens
03-08-2018, 09:40 AM
:agree: As a supporter of the Union, detester of all things The Rangers (and Celtc too) and probably even now a monarchist as well (the thought of a Farage, Salmond or Blair as President instead gives me the total boak) I like it. It does neatly subvert the whole The Rangers UJ image and upsets and confuses the more knee jerk McGlashans as well. I'd imagine both halves of the Ugly Sisters must hate it for completely different reasons. If a JMS and and an ODS can find reasons to like it from completely differing viewpoints, what's not to like.

Plus I don't think anyone else has a version quite like it - it really stands out.

Amen brother. :wink:

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2018, 09:40 AM

Okay wow I always thought it a commonly known term for the UJ but I suppose it maybe passed some by (lucky you if so!). Wiki has the below detail on the origin of this name for the flag...

"The
Butcher's Apron
is a
pejorative (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative)
term for the flag, common among
Irish republicans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_republicanism)
, citing the blood-streaked appearance of the flag and referring to atrocities committed in Ireland and other countries under British colonial rule.
[94] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#cite_note-96)[95] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#cite_note-97)
In 2006,
Sandra White (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_White)
, a
Member of the Scottish Parliament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_the_Scottish_Parliament)
, caused a furore when the term was used in a press release under her name. It was later blamed on the actions of a researcher, who resigned yet claimed that the comment had been approved by White."

green day
03-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Although not a huge fan of this particular flag, it doesn't bother or offend me. However, I didn't know it was a good old CCS flag until reading this thread. I've always followed Hibs without feeling the need to know any details on hooligans.

Can I still be a Hibs fan please?

Every days a school day on .net - and the bit in bold - of course :thumbsup:

GloryGlory
03-08-2018, 09:47 AM

:agree: Could also look at it as a Hibees representation of the Basque flag. :greengrin

WeeRussell
03-08-2018, 09:47 AM
Every days a school day on .net - and the bit in bold - of course :thumbsup:

Much obliged :greengrin

Joe6-2
03-08-2018, 09:50 AM

That is not on!

SirDavidsNapper
03-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Okay wow I always thought it a commonly known term for the UJ but I suppose it maybe passed some by (lucky you if so!). Wiki has the below detail on the origin of this name for the flag...

"The
Butcher's Apron
is a
pejorative (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative)
term for the flag, common among
Irish republicans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_republicanism)
, citing the blood-streaked appearance of the flag and referring to atrocities committed in Ireland and other countries under British colonial rule.
[94] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#cite_note-96)[95] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#cite_note-97)
In 2006,
Sandra White (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandra_White)
, a
Member of the Scottish Parliament (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_of_the_Scottish_Parliament)
, caused a furore when the term was used in a press release under her name. It was later blamed on the actions of a researcher, who resigned yet claimed that the comment had been approved by White."

Learn something new every day!

RoxburghHibs
03-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Learn something new every day!

:thumbsup:

:flag:

Curried
03-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Not a fan of this flag.

While I take the point about it’s CCS history, and the fact that it may subtly take the piss out of the west coast bigot teams, it sells our team on an international stage as British not Scottish. Fine if you’re happy with that, but I’m not.

PatHead
03-08-2018, 09:55 AM

That is bad enough but I have a brother who wears sandals and white socks on holiday!

Frazerbob
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Not a fan of this flag.

While I take the point about it’s CCS history, and the fact that it may subtly take the piss out of the west coast bigot teams, it sells our team on an international stage as British not Scottish. Fine if you’re happy with that, but I’m not.

Does it? What about the dozens of green & white saltires and the splattering of Irish flags?

Lancs Harp
03-08-2018, 10:02 AM
Not a fan of this flag.

I wouldn't say fans flags particularly sells our or any team like that. For instance you could take virtually any of the EPL clubs and there would be numerous nations flags present representing fanbases from far and wide and indeed players from far and wide. Im English if I designed my Hibs flag it would probably be a Whte and green St Georges flag with Lancashire Hibs or such like written across. Am I selling our club as being English? No im stating im a Hibs fan from England/Lancashire

The Green Goblin
03-08-2018, 10:04 AM

It’s a reference to the aftermath of the battle of Culloden and the Duke of Cumberland’s massacres of people in the Highlands, which earned him the nickname “Butcher Cumberland”, a term still used today, as it the “Butcher’s Apron”, the name for the UJ.

TheReg!
03-08-2018, 10:04 AM
I like the flag, also like the multitude of other flags we have around the stadium, it shows that you can be a unionist a republican a unicorn or whatever the **** you want to be as a Hibs fan.

The Green Goblin
03-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Just when I thought we’d never have another flag debate!! :greengrin

H113EE5
03-08-2018, 10:07 AM

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊 Agree

Slavers
03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Personally I love them and always glad to show the diverse nature of our support!

The Green Sea
03-08-2018, 10:12 AM
F##k, I thought I was the only unicorn that supported Hibs. Are there others?

Londonhibs
03-08-2018, 10:12 AM

I have one of those - designed by my (at the time) 8 year old, who was neither a unionist nor a nationalist nor a fascist nor anything but a Hibby. IT. IS. A. FLAG.

GRD
03-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Thank you, I have learned something this morning. Despite being a Hibby of over 50 years I had never seen this flag until last night, and so didn't know anything about it's CCS history. It doesn't alter my intense dislike of everything Union Jackish, especially with the rise of the extreme right in British nationalism and Westminster's concerted efforts to undermine Scotland The Brand by slapping UJs on Scottish produce.

I see a Union Jack at a football ground and I just think Rangers/rule Britannia, regardless whether green or blue. People can disagree if they wish, it's just my perception and doesn't necessarily reflect the position of the flag bearer.

cleanyman
03-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Gies peace.

Hibernian are a Scottish and British club. If we want to fly the Union Jack then so be it.

Frazerbob
03-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Gies peace.

Hibernian are a Scottish and British club. If we want to fly the Union Jack then so be it.

I have never seen a Union Jack in any Hibs support and don’t expect I ever will.

Lancs Harp
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Thank you, I have learned something this morning. Despite being a Hibby of over 50 years I had never seen this flag until last night, and so didn't know anything about it's CCS history. It doesn't alter my intense dislike of everything Union Jackish, especially with the rise of the extreme right in British nationalism and Westminster's concerted efforts to undermine Scotland The Brand by slapping UJs on Scottish produce.

I see a Union Jack at a football ground and I just think Rangers/rule Britannia, regardless whether green or blue. People can disagree if they wish, it's just my perception and doesn't necessarily reflect the position of the flag bearer.

There has been versions of it at every Hibs Hampden experience for the past couple of decades. The biggest flag we had there in 2016 was the green black white UJ flying proudly high up in the vacinity of where Hendo delivered!

cleanyman
03-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Fly that flag high.

Come on

LustForLeith
03-08-2018, 10:33 AM
I’m amused by the Lacoste tshirts with the Hibs style union flag in the background of the crocodile.

I k is it’s not the point but if someone turned up in a pub full of casuals with a fake Lacoste tshirt In they’d be laughed out the boozer!

AltheHibby
03-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Gies peace.

And supported by English fans and people like me with blood from both sides of the border.

We should not be using pejorative terms that demean fellow Hibees or we are as bad as that lot referring to us as vermin.

Barman Stanton
03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
There has been versions of it at every Hibs Hampden experience for the past couple of decades. The biggest flag we had there in 2016 was the green black white UJ flying proudly high up in the vacinity of where Hendo delivered!

That flag is all over videos and pics of the Scottish Cup celebration. Especially the Sunshine on Leith videos. I'm astonished any Hibs fans has not seen it before.

MB62
03-08-2018, 10:56 AM

I honestly have not got a clue what this is all about :confused::confused::confused::confused:

We have just had a fantastic result in Europe and somebody is talking about a butchers apron. At first I thought it was a slagging on a previous manager but couldn't understand why anybody would go to any length to worry about him. Apparently though, on reading this thread, it's about the CCS, who IMO, are equally irrelevant.

G B Young
03-08-2018, 10:59 AM

I had to look it up as I'd never heard of the Union Jack being referred to as that either. I actually thought the OP was meaning fans were really wearing green butcher's aprons! I recall that in the 1970s white butchers' coats adorned with badges, slogans etc were worn by fans of English clubs for some reason so I was wondering if there had been a revival of sorts.

https://britishculturearchive.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/img_7152.jpg?w=1000&h=

Lancs Harp
03-08-2018, 11:05 AM
I had to look it up as I'd never heard of the Union Jack being referred to as that either. I actually thought the OP was meaning fans were actually wearing green butcher's aprons! I recall that in the 1970s white butchers' coats adorned with badges, slogans etc were worn by fans of English clubs for some reason so I was wondering if there had been a revival of sorts.

https://britishculturearchive.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/img_7152.jpg?w=1000&h=

The club shop is currently selling a fetching green Hibs apron. Look class at a BBQ.

G B Young
03-08-2018, 11:09 AM
I honestly have not got a clue what this is all about :confused::confused::confused::confused:

We have just had a fantastic result in Europe and somebody is talking about a butchers apron. At first I thought it was a slagging on a previous manager but couldn't understand why anybody would go to any length to worry about him. Apparently though, on reading this thread, it's about the CCS, who IMO, are equally irrelevant.

Neither did I until I looked it up. Really daft thing to try and stir up and smacks of something you'd only come across in the depths of some sort of extremist forum.

proud_and_green
03-08-2018, 11:21 AM
There has been versions of it at every Hibs Hampden experience for the past couple of decades. The biggest flag we had there in 2016 was the green black white UJ flying proudly high up in the vacinity of where Hendo delivered!That one was the CCS spirits in the sky one which I think was also on dismay last night.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

makaveli1875
03-08-2018, 11:29 AM
The huns really dont like that particular flag :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
03-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Butchers Apron, gid yin.

I didn't know it was the CCS flag.

I also think 'butcher's apron' is a very apt term, given its history all over the planet. I include Scotland in that.

But FFS...it's a piece of cloth. We're better than this. Besides, it actually looks quite cool.

Phil MaGlass
03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
I didn't know it was the CCS flag.

I also think 'butcher's apron'is a very apt term, given its history all over the planet.

Butchers apron is a very apt name

danhibees1875
03-08-2018, 11:50 AM
I’m amused by the Lacoste tshirts with the Hibs style union flag in the background of the crocodile.

I k is it’s not the point but if someone turned up in a pub full of casuals with a fake Lacoste tshirt In they’d be laughed out the boozer!

Don't even get me started on the amount of people travelling with UK passports. :grr:

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
03-08-2018, 12:14 PM
I quite like it - wee bit subversive, adds to the general variety of Hibs flags

worcesterhibby
03-08-2018, 12:30 PM
It's a Hibs flag, would personally prefer a saltire version, but have no objection to it...plus I assume the OP wasn't at the game, where as the guy waving the green UJ was. Kind of shows who is putting more effort into supporting the club !

Bostonhibby
03-08-2018, 12:31 PM

It’s definitely not an expression of support in unionism by any means.[emoji106]

Saved me saying it.!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
03-08-2018, 12:32 PM
i saw a guy wearing white socks , whats aw that about !Klansman. You should have battered him[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Eyrie
03-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Surely this belongs on the Holy Ground? Unless entry to Easter Road is conditional on being a card carrying member of the SNP.

Personally I couldn't care less about the politics of whoever is sitting next to me. Football should be inclusive and divisive nonsense like the OP belongs at Ibrox and Parkhead where the actual football is very much an afterthought to the entrenched bigotry.

andybev1
03-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Today I am wearing white socks for the first time in more years than I care to remember. Just thought this was the only chance I might get to tell someone about this today and took it. :hyper

WhileTheChief..
03-08-2018, 12:59 PM
So is butchers apron a slang term for the Union Jack?

Totally confused here.

BegbieHSC
03-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Another one for the Holy Ground. Get this thread punted to ****, please.

midfield_maestro
03-08-2018, 01:13 PM

It's the British Army that flies the Union flag over Edinburgh Castle. I think you'll find they have several hundred years more association with it than The Rangers.