PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Asteras 020818)

Jonnyboy
02-08-2018, 09:51 PM
I was gutted not to have been in Greece tonight, to sing along with our magnificent support that could be heard loud and clear for the entire ninety minutes. Having said that, I’m not sure I’d have been in any fit state to write this because by the time the final whistle was blown I was exhausted and I just watched the game on TV.

Watching on TV does not, in my view, give you the full picture on individual performances and while I thought a few of our guys looked off the pace I might be doing them a discredit as clearly their work off the ball was not visible on a TV screen. It was good to see Neil going with the same eleven that started the second half last Thursday. They earned the right after a stunning comeback from being two goals down.

First off I have to say that after the criticism, justified or otherwise, of Adam Bogdan’s performance last Thursday it is no exaggeration to say that he was man of the match tonight with a string of excellent and vital saves, one in particular sneaking into the ‘world class’ category. At 1-1 I found myself thinking ‘that’s us out then’ as a speedy Greek substitute raced in on goal not once but twice and on each occasion Bogdan made a cracking save. The ‘worldy’ saw him dive low to his right to save a header that looked netbound all the way.

Asteras started the game on the front foot which was no surprise as they knew they had to score to progress but Hibs dealt with them well enough and looked to hit on the counter. Much of the play was in the midfield area with McGinn, Slivka and Mallan trying manfully to quell the tide, assisted ably by David Gray and Lewis Stevenson. In fact, Gray was playing a captain’s part in trying to drive his side forward down the right. Often the final pass just wasn’t right and so chances were few and far between. One good chance fell to Boyle who got onto the end of a superb Slivka ball but just as Boyler shaped to shoot, a Greek defender stuck in a foot to deflect the ball wide. As half time approached, Hibs enjoyed a bit of good fortune when a corner into their box allowed their number 19 to rise and send a powerful header towards goal. Thankfully, it hit the bar and the danger was cleared. Minutes later the Greek number 17, wearing a protective face mask after his ‘brush’ with McGregor in the first game; hit a loose pass which Kamberi seized upon. Racing towards goal, Flo spotted SJM to his left and played the ball into his path allowing John to slam the ball home and add another £1m to his valuation.

The hosts were always going to start the second half at pace because they now needed to score twice to progress but their task was made all the harder when Manias hacked down Paul Hanlon and earned a second yellow card from the French referee. A man to the good, Hibs set about taking control but with the hour mark coming up, a criminal piece of defending allowed Tsilianidis the opportunity to equalise. Slack play on our left allowed the home player to make himself available for a pass and as the ball rolled in to his feet a shocking piece of defending by Efe gave the guy clear passage to goal and he wasted no time in striking the ball low past Bogdan.

From being 1-0 up and in command after the red card, Hibs needlessly made the task of qualifying harder and more nerve wracking than was necessary. The camera showed Neil Lennon sitting in the stand and he looked none too pleased, understandably.

I felt the heat was beginning to play a part in proceedings as a few Hibs players looked very heavy legged and despite being down to ten men the hosts began to dictate the play. Their young substitute was lightning fast and on two occasions he beat the offside trap but found Bogdan at his best in denying him. On another occasion the keeper saved at the feet of an onrushing Greek player and I held my breath in case the referee awarded a penalty. Thankfully the French official was always up with play. Hibs were not offering much of a threat although Kamberi, Boyle and McGinn all had half chances but to be fair, they saw out the four additional minutes well with SJM and Flo taking the ball for a wander into the Asteras half and combining well at a couple of time wasting late corners. When the final whistle went the sigh of relief was palpable.

The players

Bogdan – As I said earlier, Adam made a number of vital saves that effectively kept us in the competition and so I feel he fully merits my man of the match award.

Efe – I feel as though I’m always criticising Efe but despite the fact I love him as a player I feel he deserves criticism tonight as his feeble effort to intercept a nothing pass let the hosts equalise.

Daz – The mask wearing Greek captain stayed well clear of him tonight – I wonder why? Daz was just Daz and rarely looked flustered.

Paul – This was yet another fine performance from Paul who looked solid throughout and dealt well with all the pressure after they equalised.

SDG - Outstanding in the first half and truly looks back to his best. Just pipped by Bogdan for my man of the match.

Stevie – I could pretty much repeat everything I’ve said about Boyler so I’ve little to add to that really.

Slivka – I thought he had a decent first half but wasn’t so good in the second where, at times, he looked dead on his feet.

SJM – Once again John burst a gut for Hibernian and wherever he ends up in future he’ll keep a place in my heart. Took his goal brilliantly and boy did he enjoy celebrating.

Lewis – At one point I thought Lewis had done his cruciate when his studs got stuck in the turf and he went down in obvious agony. Needless to say, he was soon back to giving his all.

Boyler – I don’t think Boyler really got any chance to use his pace tonight as often the pass to him was direct and not in front of him.

Flo – Took a bit of a battering again from their number 5 but showed good alertness to pounce on the loose ball and set SJM up for the goal.

Whitty – When the pressure was building, Hibs reverted to a back four with Daz going off, SDG going to right back, Efe in beside Paul and Whitty playing in front of them. On a few occasions he provided good headed clearances at corners and plugged the gap that was being exploited by the young Greek substitute.

Marv – Didn’t get long but helped repel the late onslaught.

Ryan – Got even less time on the park than Marv but did a similar job.

Neil – Must be happy with the outcome although I’ll bet he was nervous after they equalised.

The Ref – Did well, as I said earlier.

The fans – Magnificent throughout and I was so, so jealous that I wasn’t amongst them. With luck and a decent cost I’ll be in Norway though!

And finally ……………. I’ve just had a text saying Jamie Mac is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered. Dancer!!!!

Scotty Leither
02-08-2018, 09:53 PM
This is how i feel, John - much the same as you - jealous of the spawny bar stewards that were there tonight. 😁 Enjoy your night Hibees and Hibettes and safe home. Malky.

Smartie
02-08-2018, 10:01 PM
2 Boylers and no David Gray?

David Gray was my MOTM tonight.

Some top notch defending during the first half, energetic throughout and has looked like a new signing so far this season.

Inconsequential
02-08-2018, 10:05 PM
I was gutted not to have been in Greece tonight, to sing along with our magnificent support that could be heard loud and clear for the entire ninety minutes. Having said that, I’m not sure I’d have been in any fit state to write this because by the time the final whistle was blown I was exhausted and I just watched the game on TV.

Watching on TV does not, in my view, give you the full picture on individual performances and while I thought a few of our guys looked off the pace I might be doing them a discredit as clearly their work off the ball was not visible on a TV screen. It was good to see Neil going with the same eleven that started the second half last Thursday. They earned the right after a stunning comeback from being two goals down.

First off I have to say that after the criticism, justified or otherwise, of Adam Bogdan’s performance last Thursday it is no exaggeration to say that he was man of the match tonight with a string of excellent and vital saves, one in particular sneaking into the ‘world class’ category. At 1-1 I found myself thinking ‘that’s us out then’ as a speedy Greek substitute raced in on goal not once but twice and on each occasion Bogdan made a cracking save. The ‘worldy’ saw him dive low to his right to save a header that looked netbound all the way.

Asteras started the game on the front foot which was no surprise as they knew they had to score to progress but Hibs dealt with them well enough and looked to hit on the counter. Much of the play was in the midfield area with McGinn, Slivka and Mallan trying manfully to quell the tide, assisted ably by David Gray and Lewis Stevenson. In fact, Gray was playing a captain’s part in trying to drive his side forward down the right. Often the final pass just wasn’t right and so chances were few and far between. One good chance fell to Boyle who got onto the end of a superb Slivka ball but just as Boyler shaped to shoot, a Greek defender stuck in a foot to deflect the ball wide. As half time approached, Hibs enjoyed a bit of good fortune when a corner into their box allowed their number 19 to rise and send a powerful header towards goal. Thankfully, it hit the bar and the danger was cleared. Minutes later the Greek number 17, wearing a protective face mask after his ‘brush’ with McGregor in the first game; hit a loose pass which Kamberi seized upon. Racing towards goal, Flo spotted SJM to his left and played the ball into his path allowing John to slam the ball home and add another £1m to his valuation.

The hosts were always going to start the second half at pace because they now needed to score twice to progress but their task was made all the harder when Manias hacked down Paul Hanlon and earned a second yellow card from the French referee. A man to the good, Hibs set about taking control but with the hour mark coming up, a criminal piece of defending allowed Tsilianidis the opportunity to equalise. Slack play on our left allowed the home player to make himself available for a pass and as the ball rolled in to his feet a shocking piece of defending by Efe gave the guy clear passage to goal and he wasted no time in striking the ball low past Bogdan.

From being 1-0 up and in command after the red card, Hibs needlessly made the task of qualifying harder and more nerve wracking than was necessary. The camera showed Neil Lennon sitting in the stand and he looked none too pleased, understandably.

I felt the heat was beginning to play a part in proceedings as a few Hibs players looked very heavy legged and despite being down to ten men the hosts began to dictate the play. Their young substitute was lightning fast and on two occasions he beat the offside trap but found Bogdan at his best in denying him. On another occasion the keeper saved at the feet of an onrushing Greek player and I held my breath in case the referee awarded a penalty. Thankfully the French official was always up with play. Hibs were not offering much of a threat although Kamberi, Boyle and McGinn all had half chances but to be fair, they saw out the four additional minutes well with SJM and Flo taking the ball for a wander into the Asteras half and combining well at a couple of time wasting late corners. When the final whistle went the sigh of relief was palpable.

The players

Bogdan – As I said earlier, Adam made a number of vital saves that effectively kept us in the competition and so I feel he fully merits my man of the match award.

Efe – I feel as though I’m always criticising Efe but despite the fact I love him as a player I feel he deserves criticism tonight as his feeble effort to intercept a nothing pass let the hosts equalise.

Daz – The mask wearing Greek captain stayed well clear of him tonight – I wonder why? Daz was just Daz and rarely looked flustered.

Paul – This was yet another fine performance from Paul who looked solid throughout and dealt well with all the pressure after they equalised.

Boyler – As I said earlier, you don’t always get the full picture of how someone is playing when you’re watching on TV. I thought Boyler was very quiet but there is every chance he was doing a mountain of work off the ball.

Stevie – I could pretty much repeat everything I’ve said about Boyler so I’ve little to add to that really.

Slivka – I thought he had a decent first half but wasn’t so good in the second where, at times, he looked dead on his feet.

SJM – Once again John burst a gut for Hibernian and wherever he ends up in future he’ll keep a place in my heart. Took his goal brilliantly and boy did he enjoy celebrating.

Lewis – At one point I thought Lewis had done his cruciate when his studs got stuck in the turf and he went down in obvious agony. Needless to say, he was soon back to giving his all.

Boyler – I don’t think Boyler really got any chance to use his pace tonight as often the pass to him was direct and not in front of him.

Flo – Took a bit of a battering again from their number 5 but showed good alertness to pounce on the loose ball and set SJM up for the goal.

Whitty – When the pressure was building, Hibs reverted to a back four with Daz going off, SDG going to right back, Efe in beside Paul and Whitty playing in front of them. On a few occasions he provided good headed clearances at corners and plugged the gap that was being exploited by the young Greek substitute.

Marv – Didn’t get long but helped repel the late onslaught.

Ryan – Got even less time on the park than Marv but did a similar job.

Neil – Must be happy with the outcome although I’ll bet he was nervous after they equalised.

The Ref – Did well, as I said earlier.

The fans – Magnificent throughout and I was so, so jealous that I wasn’t amongst them. With luck and a decent cost I’ll be in Norway though!

And finally ……………. I’ve just had a text saying Jamie Mac is pretty much signed, sealed and delivered. Dancer!!!!

Excitement must be getting the better of you Johnyboy… you omitted your rating of Sir David and there's only one Boyler! Understandable in the circumstances! GGTTH.

Jonnyboy
02-08-2018, 10:09 PM

Some top notch defending during the first half, energetic throughout and has looked like a new signing so far this season.

Ooops and I'm sober too :greengrin

Now corrected :aok:

Hibeewilly
02-08-2018, 10:13 PM

I thought Gray was terrific tonight......looks really sharp....more like the David Gray that we know

Jonnyboy
03-08-2018, 07:53 AM
I thought Gray was terrific tonight......looks really sharp....more like the David Gray that we know

Agreed ✅

IWasThere2016
03-08-2018, 08:07 AM

The cruel would say it's an age thing :wink: