PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon = best Hibs manager we've had for decades: appreciate him while he's here

CathroMustStay
02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
We need to back this man to the hilt now.

-Won Scottish Championship in 1st season (no feat but still had to be secured)
-Achieved our record top-flight points tally of the modern era
-Installed a much tougher & resilient mindset, throughout the spine of the team
-Despite May loss at Tynecastle, we've continued our superiority over Hearts
-Beat Sevco 2/2 times at Ibrox
-Beat Celtic & only lost 1/4 league games v Rodgers
-Beat Brondby away before agony of the penalty shootout
-Tonight we eliminated a very decent Greek team; a winnable tie v Molde awaits

Lenny's current record at Easter Road = P96 W50 (52.0%) D30 (31.3%) L16 (16.7%)

:nlgwa:flag:

DetroitHibs
02-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Best manager in my lifetime watching Hibs

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Definitely best manager in my lifetime.

Hopefully the best in our history by the time he leaves

Thecat23
02-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Best manager by miles in my lifetime. That’s including Stubbs who I love btw!!

Greentinted
02-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Really knows what he’s doing on the European stage does our Neil. Long may it continue.

BegbieHSC
02-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Best in my lifetime. Can we get him to sign a 10 year contract, please Dempster?

IGRIGI
02-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I don't think under any of our previous managers in the modern era we'd have came through that tie.

Scorrie
02-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Hopefully he’s here for many more years. A quality manager who’s instilled a real attitude in the team, something we’ve been missing for too many years

davcar
02-08-2018, 08:39 PM
Hibs class!!!!!!

Borderhibbie76
02-08-2018, 08:40 PM
Best manager by miles in my lifetime. That’s including Stubbs who I love btw!!Yup agreed loved Stubbsy and Big Eck during his time but Lennon is by far and away the best manager we've had in my lifetime...we r so lucky to have him

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
02-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Brilliant. Best since ET and mibbe even better[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Famous Fiver
02-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Hibs in Europe.

Hearts in their beds.

Natural order!!!

BegbieHSC
02-08-2018, 08:42 PM
I love the fact that he’s done so well for us in Europe, despite not making it to the touch line.

He’s been on the touch line for 20 minutes out of 550minutes in Europe 😂😂😂. Won 2 ties, and very narrowly missed out in 2016. Absolute hero.

It’ll be good to see him against Molde.

The Modfather
02-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Took me a long time to be fully convinced, but hope he stays as long as possible now.

Smartie
02-08-2018, 08:46 PM
He's a top manager.

Stubbsy's achievements are sometimes undermined by the praise we reserve for Taff and Doolan.

Lennon has a very solid team of his own, and I think Garry Parker deserves great credit. He's been the man in the dugout for these past few games and has guided us through some sticky moments.

I loved Garry Parker as a player, I really took a shine to him when I was younger and he played in a good Villa team.

Hfc_Since1875
02-08-2018, 08:47 PM
Agreed, took me a while to be fully convinced... but he’s done it!:nlgwa:nlgwa

Pretty Boy
02-08-2018, 08:50 PM
He’s done everything that could be asked of him really, perhaps with the exception of a SC run last season.

I’m quite excited to see what he has up his sleeve for the season ahead considering the goals we are scoring with a squad that by his own admission is a few short.

bodhibs
02-08-2018, 08:52 PM

-Won Scottish Championship in 1st season (no feat but still had to be achieved)
-Despite end of season Tynecastle disappointment, overall we've continued our superiority of Hearts
-Beat Brondby away before agony of pens
-Tonight has overseen the elimination of a very decent Greek team, with a winnable tie v Molde coming up

100%, this, love him.
Ginger legend

Hi Heid Yin
02-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Been watching Hibs since the 1960's and seen many a manager come and go, and, for me, only Eddie Turnbull tops Neil Lennon.

Turnbull made me feel that we could beat anyone on our day and in most cases, did.
The Tornadoes had grit, fight, skill and class all over the pitch, and were a joy to behold when in full flight. Only the greatest Celtic team in history stopped us dominating Scottish football during the early to mid 70s.

Likewise, Neil Lennon leaves me feeling exactly the same way - that we can beat anyone on our day. He has instilled a never-say-die mentality in our team and built an even stronger and hard-to-beat unit from Stubbs legacy. His passion is there for all to see. The season ahead promises so much (again) and "hitting the ground running" in these early season European ties serves to convince me even more that, with one or two key additions, we will be right up there challenging the best in the SPL.

BullsCloseHibs
02-08-2018, 08:58 PM
He most certainly is.

Can't think of anyone close.

You are supreme Mr Lennon.

Chic Murray
02-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Guys, it would be Bulgarian balcony time, but I'm in Holland. Pwoud vewy vewy pwoud! :top marks

hfc rd
02-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Best Hibs manager in my 26 years supporting Hibs.

Vault Boy
02-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Imagine how good we will be when he's actually allowed in the dugout ffs. We're such a different club these days and it's a joy to be a part of.

bodhibs
02-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Never dull eh, I'm in a flapp tbf

houstonhibbee
02-08-2018, 09:27 PM
Been watching Hibs since the 1960's and seen many a manager come and go, and, for me, only Eddie Turnbull tops Neil Lennon.

Turnbull made me feel that we could beat anyone on our day and in most cases, did.
The Tornadoes had grit, fight, skill and class all over the pitch, and were a joy to behold when in full flight. Only the greatest Celtic team in history stopped us dominating Scottish football during the early to mid 70s.

Likewise, Neil Lennon leaves me feeling exactly the same way - that we can beat anyone on our day. He has instilled a never-say-die mentality in our team and built an even stronger and hard-to-beat unit from Stubbs legacy. His passion is there for all to see. The season ahead promises so much (again) and "hitting the ground running" in these early season European ties serves to convince me even more that, with one or two key additions, we will be right up there challenging the best in the SPL.
Beat hearts 8-0 away and get to Europa cup semi and then we’re talking :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
02-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Beat hearts 8-0 away and get to Europa cup semi and then we’re talking :greengrin

:wink:

02-08-2018, 09:44 PM
A manager that just gets Hibs. So much passion, compare that to the likes of calderwood who stood on the touch line and could not have looked more less interested if he tried. The players clearly respect him and he won't accept any below par performances.

Does he over step the mark sometimes? Yes. But I'ts about time Hibs had a bit of nastiness about us, for too long we were far too soft and nicely nicely and it just got us trampled over.

JohnM1875
02-08-2018, 09:50 PM
My favourite manager by some distance! But I was also chuffed when Butcher signed up so what do I know? haha

O'Rourke3
02-08-2018, 09:50 PM

Likewise, Neil Lennon leaves me feeling exactly the same way - that we can beat anyone on our day. He has instilled a never-say-die mentality in our team and built an even stronger and hard-to-beat unit from Stubbs legacy. His passion is there for all to see. The season ahead promises so much (again) and "hitting the ground running" in these early season European ties serves to convince me even more that, with one or two key additions, we will be right up there challenging the best in the SPL.This is where I am too and I never thought there would be a manager getting close to Ned in my lifetime.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Beefster
02-08-2018, 10:42 PM
You guys better watch out. I got called a ‘Lennon sycophant’ on here a week ago for suggesting that he wasn’t a huddie of a manager. Youse are all going to get it tight when a particular poster sees this thread.

The_Horde
02-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Guys a fraud..

Hi Heid Yin
02-08-2018, 10:51 PM
This is where I am too and I never thought there would be a manager getting close to Ned in my lifetime.

:aok:

Jonnyboy
02-08-2018, 10:51 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45053436

Scroll down for Leeann's view :greengrin

matty_f
02-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Lennon is fantastic. This side is right up there with McLeish's best Hibs side, and imho is better than Mowbray's.

Lennon has virtually redefined Hibs, with some help from Stubbs. We're not a soft touch anymore, we genuinely have a winning mentality and there hasn't been a side we've come up against who I haven't thought we could beat if we played well.

I can't think of a time I've enjoyed supporting us more than over the last few years. Long may it continue.

ozhibs
02-08-2018, 11:34 PM

This for me as well, I have been a bit slow coming round but I'm starting to believe :nlgwa :flag:

Baader
02-08-2018, 11:41 PM
Most important man at ER by a long way. Under Lennon we often now win games we'd have drawn and draw games we'd have lost.

monktonharp
02-08-2018, 11:53 PM

Likewise, Neil Lennon leaves me feeling exactly the same way - that we can beat anyone on our day. He has instilled a never-say-die mentality in our team and built an even stronger and hard-to-beat unit from Stubbs legacy. His passion is there for all to see. The season ahead promises so much (again) and "hitting the ground running" in these early season European ties serves to convince me even more that, with one or two key additions, we will be right up there challenging the best in the SPL.I like the way your thinking.:aok:

poolman
02-08-2018, 11:55 PM

Have to agree with everything you say :agree:

basehibby
03-08-2018, 12:10 AM

-Won Scottish Championship in 1st season (no feat but still had to be achieved)

Absolutely agree - beneath the brusque passion is a deep intelligence which I have grown to admire with each passing month of Lennon's tenure at Hibs - he "gets" us in a way which is a complement to Hibs and himself - and - this guy really DOES have a talent for putting together and leading football teams. It's a match made in heaven and long may it continue - enjoy nights like tonight and look forward to more (hopefully many) to come :hibees:nlgwa:hibees

The Harp Awakes
03-08-2018, 12:21 AM
Lennon is everything Hibs have lacked in previous decades. His never say die qualities and strength of character have been passed onto the players.

Love the guy. He gets Hibs and we are good for him.

Nutmegged
03-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Lennon is tremendous, I'm not sure he's as good a coach as Mowbray but his leadership puts him top of the manager list in my lifetime, he was a warrior at Leocester and developed into a winner at Celtic, he's been a winner ever since and he's brought that to Hibernian, I hope Rodgers is at Celtic for as long as possible because I genuinely believe that's the only gig he would leave us for, he loves it here, you can just tell and he has bought into Hibs 100% and he has brought that mentality with him, if we get the right players in the next few weeks we could challenge for the Title.

If you look at our point to game ratio in the 2md half of the season with Allan, MacLaren and Kamberi we averaged two points per game, if we can get both those guys back to partner Kamberi I believe we could finish 2nd and give Celtic a run for their money.

I'm so excited by Hibs this season, I always want us to win a Cup but I'm desperate to win one under Lennon, I think it would highlight what we're capable of.

houstonhibbee
03-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Lennon is tremendous, I'm not sure he's as good a coach as Mowbray but his leadership puts him top of the manager list in my lifetime, he was a warrior at Leocester and developed into a winner at Celtic, he's been a winner ever since and he's brought that to Hibernian, I hope Rodgers is at Celtic for as long as possible because I genuinely believe that's the only gig he would leave us for, he loves it here, you can just tell and he has bought into Hibs 100% and he has brought that mentality with him, if we get the right players in the next few weeks we could challenge for the Title.

If you look at our point to game ratio in the 2md half of the season with Allan, MacLaren and Kamberi we averaged two points per game, if we can get both those guys back to partner Kamberi I believe we could finish 2nd and give Celtic a run for their money.

I'm so excited by Hibs this season, I always want us to win a Cup but I'm desperate to win one under Lennon, I think it would highlight what we're capable of.
How far will we go?
i was going to say how far can we go but I think it’s in our control
we have the right people at the helm

FilipinoHibs
03-08-2018, 02:32 AM
How far will we go?
i was going to say how far can we go but I think it’s in our control
we have the right people at the helm

Absolute winner and master tactician plus gets us right mentally.

tonyrougier123
03-08-2018, 02:53 AM
I hope he realises how much he is admired by us hibs fans,hibs and lennon just make total sense, but we have to as a fanbase continue to be ambitious and build our club up,if the aim isny to be a regular force in leauge and euro qauly then the passion fades and we yoyo,I hope they days stay behind us.delighted being a hibby these days,walk tall stand proud hibbys these days are wat its all about.

steakbake
03-08-2018, 03:28 AM
This is about as good as it gets being a Hibby.

HoboHarry
03-08-2018, 04:46 AM
I can't recall following Hibs as being as much fun as it is right now and I am old enough to remember clearly the Eddie Turnbull era. I always thought that the memories of the players we had then masked some of the decisions ET made, for example the premature (IMHO) breaking up of the Tornadoes. Really, did that team really need a coach? Sir Pat and the likes of Alan Gordon et al could have gone out on a field manager-less and destroyed all before them on their day.

"On their day" though was part of the problem and why ET broke them up - as I recall he thought the team were too soft. "Boy Band" anyone? Plenty of Hibees vented their anger at Joe Harper at the time and whilst his arrogance and will to win was what we needed I doubt that many of us would have sacrificed Alan Gordon and Jimmy O'Rourke in exchange for Joe Harper, even though his goal scoring stats for us were really very good.

Neil Lennon though has gone about things in a different way albeit backed superbly from LD, RP and everyone else on the backroom staff. Seems to be the case that their are no egos, just a mixture of young players and a sprinkling of experienced players but who all have a winning mentality and a desire to be the very best they can be.

The whole atmosphere at the club changed when Alan Stubbs took over but without doubt it stepped up a level when Lennon took over and long may it continue - it's been a hoot and it seems like at the end of every game we play I'm thinking that I can't wait for the next game. Right now it feel awfully good to be a Hibee.......

soupernashwan
03-08-2018, 05:14 AM
Funny how guy who has a player elicited such dislike has now become one of my favourite guys in football ever. I'm 40 and would say he's comfortably the best since I've been watching Hibs. Given his experiences in the game and his seemingly natural fit at Easter Road it feels (maybe naively) that he could stay for a long long time. Can't see him jumping back down south too quickly following his Bolton experience. Only if he gets to the point where he feels he can't take Hibs forward, or Celtic come back calling, will he be off I think. He's given us steel, resolve and a sense that although we're doing well there is always room to grow. Really shaken off the "we've already made it" mentality of so many previous groups of talented players at Hibs in recent (and not so recent) seasons.

Onion
03-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Lennon is everything Hibs have lacked in previous decades. His never say die qualities and strength of character have been passed onto the players.

Love the guy. He gets Hibs and we are good for him.

Agreed ... and we're incredibly fortunate with Lennon. OF would normally have stolen any Hibs manager with his record long before he had built it.

Sevco will never employ Lennon for obvious reasons. Celtic don't need Lennon as he's already had a stint and Rogers is doing ok.
England don't want (for now) as he failed at Bolton.

Lennon will likely move on to bigger things, but has provided the blue-print and benchmark for Hibs managers to come.

Chic Murray
03-08-2018, 06:58 AM
The fact that this is the first time we have won two European Tues in a row, in 45 years, maybe suggests Ned was not as good as people think.

To be honest, from around about 74 on, he had lost his way.

hibeedonald
03-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Agreed ... and we're incredibly fortunate with Lennon. OF would normally have stolen any Hibs manager with his record long before he had built it.

Sevco will never employ Lennon for obvious reasons. Celtic don't need Lennon as he's already had a stint and Rogers is doing ok.
England don't want (for now) as he failed at Bolton.

Lennon will likely move on to bigger things, but has provided the blue-print and benchmark for Hibs managers to come.

All the touchline bans etc will work in our favour - any epl board would regard that as a risk

G B Young
03-08-2018, 07:43 AM
He is different class. He has strengthened the players both physically and mentally and we would simply not have achieved a lot of the results we have over the last couple of years without him. Outstanding appointment by Hibs.

G B Young
03-08-2018, 07:51 AM
The fact that this is the first time we have won two European Tues in a row, in 45 years, maybe suggests Ned was not as good as people think.

Different times. There were no such things as qualifying rounds in those days (at least not that I'm aware of) and Turnbull's Hibs were pitched straight in against the likes of Liverpool and Leeds - and were far from outclassed. They beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1 and reached the last eight of the Cup Winners Cup (and should have made the semis).

Prior to Lennon I think most would agree Turnbull was the manager who gave Hibs real swagger. McLeish also injected a strong mentality (especially in the derby) but the money in the Scottish game at the time enabled him to sign bigger name players than Lennon is able to.

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2018, 09:03 AM
This is about as good as it gets being a Hibby.Yup heady days indeed...as Lenny said post match to think 2 years ago some.of these players were playing Championship football...just been a remarkable rise since that day in May 2016...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

wookie70
03-08-2018, 09:11 AM
I'm most pleased about the entertainment on offer but the success is also very welcome. How much has it got to do with Parker as our record when Lennon is in the stand is unbelievable. Almost like a wait till your father gets home where Parker can reason and explain and the threat of a red faced screaming Lennon is in the background

makaveli1875
03-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Love the Lenny . He's managed to make us very hard to beat but still play entertaining attacking football . Unbeaten in 3 away ties in Europe is just phenomenal , especially considering Brondby and Asteras are no mugs with good home records :flag:

Lets all do the Lenny

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/ardern0/lennys_zps5pkuxrgi.jpeg (http://s832.photobucket.com/user/ardern0/media/lennys_zps5pkuxrgi.jpeg.html)

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/ardern0/cuppy_zpscvujhdlm.jpeg (http://s832.photobucket.com/user/ardern0/media/cuppy_zpscvujhdlm.jpeg.html)

Winston Ingram
03-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Lennon is the best manager we've had in my lifetime by a country mile

Sas_The_Hibby
03-08-2018, 09:20 AM
Think he needs to work on his aeroplane impersonations though - could do better

Northernhibee
03-08-2018, 09:23 AM
You guys better watch out. I got called a ‘Lennon sycophant’ on here a week ago for suggesting that he wasn’t a huddie of a manager. Youse are all going to get it tight when a particular poster sees this thread.

Nice to see you’re still obsessing over me pal, give us an address and I’ll send you a bunch of flowers. You were called that after refusing to admit Slivka at RB with Whittaker in CM and Boyle upfront was a baffling and ultimately wrong decision that could have put us further than two behind.

It seems your first reaction to a huge Hibs win is to go after a guy who thinks Lennons not the messiah entirely so the point stands.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-08-2018, 09:25 AM

:agree: Absoutely. I've always argued that Turnbull, good a manager as he was, was fortunate in largely inheriting a great team in their prime but unable to move them up a level or rebuild.

One Day Soon
03-08-2018, 09:39 AM
I've thought for years now that Hibs were a genuine sleeping giant just waiting for the right manager to come along. Lennon has had the benefit of coming to us on the back of the Scottish Cup win which has given him a huge amount of wind in his sails but even allowing for that he has clearly changed the culture, steel and mentality at the club.

Not long after he began I felt there was an opportunity, if he wanted it, to stay for the medium to long term and do a version of what Shankly and Clough did at their clubs. Shape something in their own image capable of consistently playing at beyond the top end of what a club of their size might reasonably expect. I think the ingredients are all there - he's that good, it's that good of a fit between him and the club and the supporters are there in big numbers and ready for it. I don't see what there is elsewhere in Scotland to be afraid of. Why not?

Stevie Reid
03-08-2018, 09:41 AM
I think I ran out of superlatives to describe our manager a long time ago. He is a winner, he's instilled that in the players, and there's a different feeling to this Hibs team compared to any other in my lifetime - we just keep defying expectations, last night being the latest one.

Got a real shot at keeping him for a few years as well. Exciting times.

Lendo
03-08-2018, 10:25 AM
I'll admit I was gutted when he was appointed due purely to my hatred for him as a player and a manager at Celtc.

More than happy to say i was utterly wrong.

Onion
03-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Suspect level of success at Hibs will have surprised even Lennon. He’s done a fantastic job, but you cannot overstate the impact of May 2016 to the club and players. The legacy of that day lives on.

PeeJay
03-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Best manager for some time for me certainly - wasn't too keen on his signing, not too keen of some of his attributes, but his good ones outweigh them by far - he is great for Hibs and Scottish football - be good to see him stay here and make the club truly something special and a major competitor ...

Beefster
03-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Nice to see you’re still obsessing over me pal, give us an address and I’ll send you a bunch of flowers. You were called that after refusing to admit Slivka at RB with Whittaker in CM and Boyle upfront was a baffling and ultimately wrong decision that could have put us further than two behind.

It seems your first reaction to a huge Hibs win is to go after a guy who thinks Lennons not the messiah entirely so the point stands.

I knew you wouldn’t be able to resist. See you next time Lennon makes a mistake.

SRHibs
03-08-2018, 11:38 AM
“Let’s all do the Lenny” ✈️✈️✈️

Eyrie
03-08-2018, 12:37 PM
I wasn't convinced when we appointed him nor was I convinced by performances during the promotion season.

But I've been moving towards being a fan of Lennon's managerial abilities with the way we played last year and in Europe this season.

I think he'll be here for another two or three years before he gets an offer from England that interests him. He got burnt before when he went to Bolton so won't do a Stubbs and take the first offer that comes along.

jacomo
03-08-2018, 12:53 PM
I’ve backed him from the start and maintained that throughout.

I’ll leave the assessment of his time with us for a more appropriate time though.

worcesterhibby
03-08-2018, 01:05 PM
Most important man at ER by a long way. Under Lennon we often now win games we'd have drawn and draw games we'd have lost.

Correct..although the most important person at ER is a woman and she employed the guy that won us the Cup and the Guy that is making us better than we have been in decades ! :greengrin

HoboHarry
03-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Correct..although the most important person at ER is a woman and she employed the guy that won us the Cup and the Guy that is making us better than we have been in decades ! :greengrin
By that way of thinking then Rod Petrie employed the aforementioned woman in the first place so he is king of the castle.......

Since90+2
03-08-2018, 01:08 PM

I think George Craig is probably underappreciated aswell. He seems to have put the building blocks in place for the entire football operation.

In terms of the way the club I structured is he in theory Neil Lennon's boss?

Diclonius
03-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Does anyone remember around ten years ago (think it was after Collins left) that Lennon was interested in the Hibs job? If I recall correctly he was winding down his playing career and had never even coached before. I remember the mood on here was close to "I'll not go to ER until he's gone".

How times change. :wink:

Eyrie
03-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Does anyone remember around ten years ago (think it was after Collins left) that Lennon was interested in the Hibs job? If I recall correctly he was winding down his playing career and had never even coached before. I remember the mood on here was close to "I'll not go to ER until he's gone".

How times change. :wink:

I remember the rumour from back then.

Glad that we let him serve his apprenticeship elsewhere to prepare him for the main event.

Speedway
18-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Some cracking inside stories here backing up what we thought we knew already.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1543238/1543238/

JimBHibees
18-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Some cracking inside stories here backing up what we thought we knew already.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/1543238/1543238/

Thanks for sharing. Good to read that sort of stuff.

Speedway
19-08-2018, 08:53 AM
And more evidence this morning if you can fight your way through the cookies and the ads.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/league-cup/martin-boyle-neil-lennon-has-given-me-the-confidence-boost-i-needed-1-4786267

Alfiembra
19-08-2018, 09:11 AM
:agree: Absoutely. I've always argued that Turnbull, good a manager as he was, was fortunate in largely inheriting a great team in their prime but unable to move them up a level or rebuild.

Totally agree, Willie Macfarlane who Turnbull replaced as manager had built the team which later became the Tornadoes, Turnbull only adding a couple of players like Alex Edwards to it. Don’t get me wrong but it’s a bit like dejavu Neil inheriting Stubbys team however Neil has more than improved the squad Turnbull, to me anyway, just tinkered.

O'Rourke3
19-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Totally agree, Willie Macfarlane who Turnbull replaced as manager had built the team which later became the Tornadoes, Turnbull only adding a couple of players like Alex Edwards to it. Don’t get me wrong but it’s a bit like dejavu Neil inheriting Stubbys team however Neil has more than improved the squad Turnbull, to me anyway, just tinkered.Has Dave Ewing been Calderwooded and airbrushed out of the manager history?

wookie70
19-08-2018, 09:40 AM
He has done a great job but mostly with Stubb's team. Players from that team have improved but that may have came from being Cup Winners, older, wiser, more experienced. This year will be the big test. Can he get success with his own signings. Some good signings and some we will have to wait and see. Can he fashion them into a team that will fit all those attack minded players in. I still have Lennon around the same mark as Mowbray and Stubbs for best manager. This year may see him stride out into the lead but time will tell. The European run was above par and today sees us in with a great chance of starting a journey to our second home. A 4th or better finish or a cup win and I think he has to be considered our best manager since Turnbull.

Alfiembra
19-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Has Dave Ewing been Calderwooded and airbrushed out of the manager history?

I stand corrected the grey stuff is starting to fail me, I think because Dave Ewing was in for such a short spell that his tenure evaded me. Just remember being gutted when Macfarlane was shown the door similarly when Jimmy O’Rourke was kind of hussled out of the club.

Speedway
19-08-2018, 10:12 AM
He has done a great job but mostly with Stubb's team. Players from that team have improved but that may have came from being Cup Winners, older, wiser, more experienced. This year will be the big test. Can he get success with his own signings. Some good signings and some we will have to wait and see. Can he fashion them into a team that will fit all those attack minded players in. I still have Lennon around the same mark as Mowbray and Stubbs for best manager. This year may see him stride out into the lead but time will tell. The European run was above par and today sees us in with a great chance of starting a journey to our second home. A 4th or better finish or a cup win and I think he has to be considered our best manager since Turnbull.

Marciano
Barker
Maclaren
Kamberi
Whittaker
Ambrose
Slivka

All Lennons first teamers from last season, so I’d say we’be Already seen what he can do with his own signings

SlickShoes
19-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Alan Stubbs team that failed to get promoted twice?

This has been Lennons team since he walked in the door, he was the manager that got us promoted and finished 4th last season.

wookie70
19-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Marciano
Barker
Maclaren
Kamberi
Whittaker
Ambrose
Slivka

All Lennons first teamers from last season, so I’d say we’be Already seen what he can do with his own signings

When we played Tripolis away 6 out of the 11 starters were from Stubbs era and Bartley also came on. Our first league game saw us start with 6 Stubbs signings and 2 promoted from the youth ranks(Lennon gets credit for that of course) If Dylan was still here I am sure he would have played in those games too.

It is only really since SJM left that we are seeing a team with more Lennon signings than Stubbs ones. From the list you provided I would say Marciano, MacLaren, Kamberi and Ambrose were starters the other 3 more squad players albeit Barker did feature regularly.

I'm not disputing he is doing a very good job I'm just saying that to be great he will have to do it with more of his players than a previous manager who left a Cup Winning squad. This year may prove to be more successful than last but much will depend on Lennon's signings and it is early days for judging quite a few of those.

Hibiza
19-08-2018, 10:57 AM

-Won Scottish Championship in 1st season (no feat but still had to be secured)

:top marks

O'Rourke3
19-08-2018, 11:15 AM
I stand corrected the grey stuff is starting to fail me, I think because Dave Ewing was in for such a short spell that his tenure evaded me. Just remember being gutted when Macfarlane was shown the door similarly when Jimmy O’Rourke was kind of hussled out of the club.Me too. Its a spell to try and forget,... [emoji23]

NZ Green
19-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Alan Stubbs team that failed to get promoted twice?

This has been Lennons team since he walked in the door, he was the manager that got us promoted and finished 4th last season.
I think Alan Stubbs has a huge part to play in how the club is run today, lets not forget who handed him the reigns. Lennon is definitely a better manager, but Stubbs provided a great foundation. Also you cant ignore the Scottish Cup, I don't think many would trade promotion for that.

Devonhibs
19-08-2018, 12:00 PM
I think Alan Stubbs has a huge part to play in how the club is run today, lets not forget who handed him the reigns. Lennon is definitely a better manager, but Stubbs provided a great foundation. Also you cant ignore the Scottish Cup, I don't think many would trade promotion for that.

At the end of the day, they have both played significant parts in getting us where we are today.

IGRIGI
19-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Lennon has "Stubbs' team" challenging for 2nd in the top league, Stubbs couldnt even finish above Falkirk in the Championship in his 2nd season

Centre Hawf
19-08-2018, 12:25 PM
I think Lennon has been fantastic for us and Stubbs deserves a lot of credit for building the foundations out of nothing to get us where we are today. However I echo what someone said about this being quite an important year for Neil as this will be the season without some of the players he inherited.

I do not envy the task he has because replacing McGeouch and McGinn will be nearly impossible but this will most likely be the season we see a squad built by him to suit his style. Players like Maclaren and Flo look the part, Mallan has started well. So fingers crossed the rest of the signings are as good as they are, at least better than say some of the ones we got last summer as I think on the whole except Marciano and Efe our window turned out rather poor.

NZ Green
19-08-2018, 12:29 PM
At the end of the day, they have both played significant parts in getting us where we are today.yep

Purple & Green
19-08-2018, 04:53 PM
By my reckoning that Tripoli’s game was 4 Stubbs signings 5 Lennon signings and 2 players who were here prior to both.

When we played Tripolis away 6 out of the 11 starters were from Stubbs era and Bartley also came on. Our first league game saw us start with 6 Stubbs signings and 2 promoted from the youth ranks(Lennon gets credit for that of course) If Dylan was still here I am sure he would have played in those games too.

It is only really since SJM left that we are seeing a team with more Lennon signings than Stubbs ones. From the list you provided I would say Marciano, MacLaren, Kamberi and Ambrose were starters the other 3 more squad players albeit Barker did feature regularly.

I'm not disputing he is doing a very good job I'm just saying that to be great he will have to do it with more of his players than a previous manager who left a Cup Winning squad. This year may prove to be more successful than last but much will depend on Lennon's signings and it is early days for judging quite a few of those.

Purple & Green
19-08-2018, 05:12 PM

Looking back over the teamlines for the closing games of last season, the only ‘stubbs’ players to feature were sjm, Dylan and Boyle.

I think the bigger picture is now our recruitment is evolution not revolution, so the lower turnover of players is a sign of a better balance at the club and not the reliance of a manager on a previous managers players.

Last season was the best league performance by a hibs manager in the top league in terms of points since turnbull.

RossScott1991
01-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Looking back on earlier pages of this makes this interesting read!

cleanyman
01-12-2018, 05:44 PM
It's a slump but Hibs are historically mediocre and a slump like this was inevitable

PatHead
01-12-2018, 06:26 PM
It's a slump but Hibs are historically mediocre and a slump like this was inevitable

Serious question-Are you a Jambo?

wookie70
01-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Looking back over the teamlines for the closing games of last season, the only ‘stubbs’ players to feature were sjm, Dylan and Boyle.

I think the bigger picture is now our recruitment is evolution not revolution, so the lower turnover of players is a sign of a better balance at the club and not the reliance of a manager on a previous managers players.

Last season was the best league performance by a hibs manager in the top league in terms of points since turnbull.

Not the ones I am looking at. I am counting Scott Allen as a Stubbs find and other players as from his era. Stubbs left a Cup Winning team. Some of the players were there before Stubbs arrived but Lennon very much inherited a team. He did well to keep it largely together and make some good signings the best of which for me have been the goalies and Efe.

March 2018 - Beat Hearts and the Jags at home and drew at St J after Rocky was sent off early. Great month all three games (7 Stubbs era players started each game) 7 points from 9 with a very much Stubbs based team

April 2018 - Beat Hamilton (6 Stubbs era started), Draw Ross C away (7 Stubbs era started), Beat Celtic (5 Stubbs era started), Beat Killie (6 Stubbs era started) 10 points out of 12 with a very much Stubbs based team

May 2018 Draw Aberdeen (6 Stubbs era started), Beat by Hearts (6 Stubbs era started) Drew with The Rangers (5 Stubbs era started)