PDA

View Full Version : Since 1973...

California-Hibs
02-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Thats us got into the 3rd round the last time being 1973! Pretty sure that's what the commentator just said.

Boy are we lucky to have Neil Lennon at the helmet. God bless that man!!

C'mon the Hibees, what a night!

sambajustice
02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Thats us got into the 3rd round the last time being 1973! Pretty sure that's what the commentator just said.

Boy are we lucky to have Neil Lennon at the helmet. God bless that man!!

C'mon the Hibees, what a night!

I'm no sure you need to be talking about Lennons helmet! Maybe a bit too far!!!

Joe6-2
02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
thats us got into the 3rd round the last time being 1973! Pretty sure that's what the commentator just said.

Boy are we lucky to have neil lennon at the helmet. God bless that man!!

C'mon the hibees, what a night!

helmet!! 😂

Famous Fiver
02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Good Year 1973.

Started well if I remember correctly.............

Irish_Steve
02-08-2018, 08:17 PM
I now have a mental image I do not want - hope Neil doesnt have one of those helmet cams...

IGRIGI
02-08-2018, 08:20 PM
Lennon's got more than he bargained for with that ban :greengrin

California-Hibs
02-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Its beyond the stage of even worth correcting now..😂

Pretty Boy
02-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Best typo ever.

hfc rd
02-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Might wear a helmet this Sunday to show my support for NL 😂

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Commentator failed to add that in 1973 it was the European Cup Winners Cup QF which at that time was held in higher regard than the EUFA Cup or Europa League as it is today.

PatHead
02-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Commentator failed to add that in 1973 it was the European Cup Winners Cup QF which at that time was held in higher regard than the EUFA Cup or Europa League as it is today.

Sure he did mention that it was the cup winners cup. He then followed that up by saying we got to the semifinals of the first ever European Cup

BILLYHIBS
03-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Sure he did mention that it was the cup winners cup. He then followed that up by saying we got to the semifinals of the first ever European Cup
All I heard him say was third round Europe no mention of quarter finals heard him mention Semi final European Cup / Champions League 1956 and semi final EUFA Cup Roma.
Check OP he confirms commentator says third round in Europe since 1973

Speedy
03-08-2018, 08:41 AM
While it is good to be winning ties, we are at the same stage as we were against Maribor.

I wouldn't get too carried away with comparisons to 1973.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Think i'm right in saying that if we were to win the tie against Molde it would be the first time ever we'd won through three rounds in Europe - not counting byes

Diclonius
03-08-2018, 08:44 AM
https://i.imgur.com/0b5ebcn.png

Hibrandenburg
03-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Football has changed a lot since 1973. Back then a Scottish club would be expected to reach double figures when playing Greek or Turkish teams. We're now amongst the minnows of international football.

heretoday
03-08-2018, 10:17 AM
While it is good to be winning ties, we are at the same stage as we were against Maribor.

Correct. There's no comparison, unfortunately.

Onion
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Football has changed a lot since 1973. Back then a Scottish club would be expected to reach double figures when playing Greek or Turkish teams. We're now amongst the minnows of international football.

Agreed. Progress is great but there’s no comparison between the European exploits of TT in early 70s with current campaign. Opposition was the cream of Europe then and we destroyed quality sides for fun.

heretoday
03-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Agreed. Progress is great but there’s no comparison between the European exploits of TT in early 70s with current campaign. Opposition was the cream of Europe then and we destroyed quality sides for fun.

We had an expectation of doing well whereas now we're over the moon just to qualify.

There's a great feeling about the place though - perhaps a bit more enthusiastic than back in the good old days.

Forza Fred
03-08-2018, 03:10 PM
European football at Easter road was an expectation in the late 60's ,early 70's.

houstonhibbee
03-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Think i'm right in saying that if we were to win the tie against Molde it would be the first time ever we'd won through three rounds in Europe - not counting byes
I wouldn’t equate qualifying rounds with proper rounds

Eyrie
03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
I wouldn’t equate qualifying rounds with proper rounds

The competitions are structured very differently now.

In the old days there were far fewer teams involved and it was always a straight knock out over two legs to make it to the next round.

Now there are knock out rounds with teams coming in part way through based on their country's recent European history, followed by a group mini-league stage, after which there are more knock out rounds.

So as far as I'm concerned we're playing in the competition and the rounds all count for progress to the next stage (round or group).

C Feeney-Seale
03-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Good Year 1973.

Haha even more excited for the first Derby now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mick O'Rourke
03-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Good Year 1973.

Aye ,still remember the song.....

Their hearts were broken

Zorro Zorro :greengrin

CLASS OF 72 -73
03-08-2018, 11:02 PM

Yes don't, we were quite amazing around those times. Never thought I would be so impressed about a Hibs side who lost 2-4 to Juventus we were great they were amazing:na na:

BILLYHIBS
03-08-2018, 11:17 PM
QF versus Hadjuk Split two games from final versus Milan then Leeds not Mickey Mouse qualifiers before the main event. We were that good. Shudda got thru but didn’t . Broke Neds heart. Broke up the Tornadoes too soon.

Difficult to explain to the young team how good they were. It is like my old man trying to tell me how good the famous five were. All I heard was Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull and Ormond.

Speak to HIBS and hearts fans of a certain vintage ask them the best player they ever saw it is always Gordon Smith.

I feel privileged to have watched Turnbulls Tornadoes and if the current team can be half as good they will be doing great.

There is class there is first class and then there is HIBS class.

GGTTH