PDA

View Full Version : Stevie mallan

AugustaHibs
02-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Take a bow young man.

When we needed it he was keen to put his foot on the ball and settle the team. Great performace

coco22
02-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Take a bow young man.

When we needed it he was keen to put his foot on the ball and settle the team. Great performace

And to put his foot in - he was well fired up in the second half. Excellent

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Glad there’s a thread about him.

He’s going to turn out to be an absolute star signing for us.

If McGinn goes, Mallan will soon be the driving force in our side. Would McGeoch have done any better than Mallan in these games? I doubt it.

Even late on tonight, he was the one who tried to get the ball and keep it and take the sting out of things.

Brilliant player who is only going to get better and better with us.

Posh Hibby
02-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Absolute class.

Got a great work rate as well. Quality signing.

Elephant Stone
02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Never knew he played with that amount of aggression, nice surprise. Looking like a great signing.

hfc rd
02-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Terrific player. He’s going to be vital for us this season

nellio
02-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Been a fantastic signing so far.

SirDavidsNapper
02-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Superb signing

02-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Early days of course but looks like a cracking signing!

Hi Heid Yin
02-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Early doors but Stevie Mallan is looking good and promises to be a shrewd and key signing by Neil Lennon.

MSK
02-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Brilliant player, can fair ping a ball, think super J has been rubbing off on him

calumhibee1
02-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Thought he played a lot deeper than most would have expected when he signed again. I know people don’t think he can play it but I’ve got a feeling he’s going to be Dylan’s replacement.

Unseen work
02-08-2018, 11:14 PM
His touch, passing and shooting looks effortless. Flawless technique and weight of pass every time.

Great player who will excel for us

The_Horde
02-08-2018, 11:24 PM
Definitely a player there. Rough around the edges but I reckon after this season we'll have the next Mcginn on our hands.

Borderhibbie76
03-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Amazing bit of business by the club getting him on a 4 year deal

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
03-08-2018, 12:08 AM
Has he got a song yet ?

Will be a massive player for us and will score some goals.

Austinho
03-08-2018, 12:53 AM
Every time we get a free kick I expect him to score.

Speedy
03-08-2018, 01:04 AM
Superb

Squealing pig
03-08-2018, 01:09 AM
What a player

AugustaHibs
03-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Brilliant player, can fair ping a ball, think super J has been rubbing off on him

100%. His shots always force a save which is a positive

Springbank
03-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Has he got a song yet ?

halfway there

Flo kamberi Stevie mallan
Jamie Mac & Scotty allan
thats entertainment

Real Emerald
03-08-2018, 10:45 AM
We’ve Mallan, super Stevie Mallan...............etc

SmashinGlass
03-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Has he got a song yet ?

To the tune of Snap's Rhythm is a Dancer:

Rythym is a Dancer
Mallan is the answer
He'll shoot and score from anywhere

Scores them with his right foot
Scores them with his left foot
He'll shoot and score from anywhere

Ah ah Stevie Mallan
Ah ah puts them in top bin
ah ah Stevie Mallan
ah ah ah ah!

I'm posting this from memory as my laddie had seen it on twitter somewhere. Lyrics may not be 100% accurate though!

keep the faith
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM
Thought he played a lot deeper than most would have expected when he signed again. I know people don’t think he can play it but I’ve got a feeling he’s going to be Dylan’s replacement.

Agreed. Think it would work well with him and Allan in the side.

AugustaHibs
17-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Wasn’t great last night but the boy will be a player with good around him. Doesn’t help having slivka next to him who never offers him space to pass into. Mallan definitely the best midfielder we have at the moment.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 08:12 AM
Wasn’t great last night but the boy will be a player with good around him. Doesn’t help having slivka next to him who never offers him space to pass into. Mallan definitely the best midfielder we have at the moment.

I'm sure any of our midfielders could still be excellent with the right addition in there.

They just don't cut it with each other.

Getting the right player to get the best out of Mallan may well be the key to our success this season.

I'm thinking we need an energetic box to box type to play in the middle with Hyndman and Mallan, get 2 of Horgan, Boyle and Agyrpong out wide, Kamberi fit and up front on his own and back to 4 at the back.

J-C
17-08-2018, 08:23 AM
I'm sure any of our midfielders could still be excellent with the right addition in there.

They just don't cut it with each other.

Getting the right player to get the best out of Mallan may well be the key to our success this season.

I'm thinking we need an energetic box to box type to play in the middle with Hyndman and Mallan, get 2 of Horgan, Boyle and Agyrpong out wide, Kamberi fit and up front on his own and back to 4 at the back.

I agree but unfortunately Lennon seems to like 2 up top and plays a back 3 to fit Efe in, who I feel is our weak link in defence. We've got 3 wide players in the squad ( apart from Agyepong and his visa ) and a few attacking midfielders, where do the extra strikers fit in?

The Modfather
17-08-2018, 08:27 AM
He is lethal from long range and free kicks, and I think he will be an excellent signing. However still not 100% sure I’ve worked out what type of player he is. He will be his own player of course, but if I was to compare him to anyone, similar-ish to McGeough but doing it slightly higher up the pitch than McGeough did?

Greenbeard
17-08-2018, 09:14 AM
Agree with all of this, but he has to shoulder a fair part of the blame for their second goal - along with Hanlon and Hyndman, none of whom gritted their teeth to get goalside of the Molde runner. All three not aggressive enough for those few crucial seconds and seemed to be content to leave the responsibility to the others. It's maybe not fair to say this but McGinn would have dug in to halt him. I do like Mallan though and agree he will very likely be a big player for us.

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 09:15 AM
Agree with all of this, but he has to shoulder a fair part of the blame for their second goal - along with Hanlon and Hyndman, none of whom gritted their teeth to get goalside of the Molde runner. All three not aggressive enough for those few crucial seconds and seemed to be content to leave the responsibility to the others. It's maybe not fair to say this but McGinn would have dug in to halt him. I do like Mallan though and agree he will very likely be a big player for us.

All he had to do was bring him down at halfway.

I keep seeing posts about how many goals Efe costs us but Mallan has cost us 2 goals in 2 games from sloppy/naive play and I've not seen anyone have a pop at him.

Similar story with Porteous last night. Folk criticise Efe and Paul but steer well clear of blaming Porteous for anything.

Greenbeard
17-08-2018, 09:27 AM

I keep seeing posts about how many goals Efe costs us but Mallan has cost us 2 goals in 2 games from sloppy/naive play and I've not seen anyone have a pop at him.

Similar story with Porteous last night. Folk criticise Efe and Paul but steer well clear of blaming Porteous for anything.
Aye, when I heard that Ambrose was being blamed for the first two goals I thought "not again", but after seeing the highlights others are more to blame. Yes he misjudges the high ball for the first, but it's Hanlon who weakly loses his man leaving him free to nod home. And for the second goal, per previous post, three could/should have stopped their runner then it was a superb pass in to beat Ambrose. I am more inclined to recognise the superb pass and the run by Haaland to get by Ambrose than to blame him for that one.

Centre Hawf
17-08-2018, 10:32 AM

I agree with your part about Mallan. A few cracks have shown for me in him the last 3 games. Technically he is as good at striking a ball as we’ve seen. However he either isn’t fit or just doesn’t look it because he’s slow tracking back and doesn’t have much of a bite in him. I agree with an earlier poster that working out how to set up to help him may be crucial for us going forward but at the minute we’re getting turned over in midfield.

Agree with you on Porteous too. But I think as a young centre half he will learn from these mistakes. It was a huge ask throwing him into these two legs against Molde but I think he done well and will be a better player for it.

B.H.F.C
17-08-2018, 10:35 AM
I agree with your part about Mallan. A few cracks have shown for me in him the last 3 games. Technically he is as good at striking a ball as we’ve seen. However he either isn’t fit or just doesn’t look it because he’s slow tracking back and doesn’t have much of a bite in him. I agree with an earlier poster that working out how to set up to help him may be crucial for us going forward but at the minute we’re getting turned over in midfield.

Agree with you on Porteous too. But I think as a young centre half he will learn from these mistakes. It was a huge ask throwing him into these two legs against Molde but I think he done well and will be a better player for it.

We need to find a way of keepin Mallan further up the pitch where he can do some damage. When he’s deeper, he’s more likely to damage us than the opposition as it’s just not his game.

wookie70
17-08-2018, 10:38 AM
I think he fills a nice gap between Dylan and Scott A. We just need to find another one or two to help him out.

wookie70
17-08-2018, 10:39 AM

I blame him for the goal at St Johnstone. Very sloppy play

Smartie
17-08-2018, 10:48 AM
I think he fills a nice gap between Dylan and Scott A. We just need to find another one or two to help him out.

That's a fair comment, but when I watch him I don't think there is space in the team for Mallan and Allan - Scott Allan wouldn't help him at all.

Bringin in Scott Allan would be as an additional option for Mallan (and it's starting to look like Swanson and Hyndman as well, possibly even Horgan).

We need something very different to all of the players we currently have.

number9dream
17-08-2018, 10:53 AM
We need to find a way of keepin Mallan further up the pitch where he can do some damage. When he’s deeper, he’s more likely to damage us than the opposition as it’s just not his game.

I work with a St Mirren fanatic and he says Mallan is definitely a number 10. Alex Rae dropped him deeper and asked him to spray passes around and he went right off the boil in that position. Jack Ross was looking to punt him but when the initial Barnsley approach fell through he moved Mallan up next to the strikers and he was the key man as they fought back to avoid relegation with 6 goals in their final 9 league games and numerous assists.
Hyndman is also a number 10 and so is Scott Allan if we are hoping to bring him back.
To complement these guys we need players with energy and drive, who can win a tackle and ensure we see more of the ball than the opposition.
Finding top drawer players like that on the wages we can afford is another matter.

The_Horde
17-08-2018, 10:55 AM
I work with a St Mirren fanatic and he says Mallan is definitely a number 10. Alex Rae dropped him deeper and asked him to spray passes around and he went right off the boil in that position. Jack Ross was looking to punt him but when the initial Barnsley approach fell through he moved Mallan up next to the strikers and he was the key man as they fought back to avoid relegation with 6 goals in their final 9 league games and numerous assists.
Hyndman is also a number 10 and so is Scott Allan if we are hoping to bring him back.
To complement these guys we need players with energy and drive, who can win a tackle and ensure we see more of the ball than the opposition.
Finding top drawer players like that on the wages we can afford is another matter.

Mallan looked lost in the number 10 role when he played there and improved massively when he dropped back. Thought his all round game was the best I've seen from him last night and he was perhaps just a bit naive in not bringing the boy down. But he's still young and he'll learn.

proud_and_green
17-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Efe is easy to blame, he gets turned or passed and it's his fault but goals are lost LL over the pitch not just in the final third. What I have noticed about Efe is that he always tries to create space when playing out of defence instead of just booting it up the pitch. That allows the midfield to compose itself, but some sometimes that is made harder for him by poor off the ball movement.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Smartie
17-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Efe is easy to blame, he gets turned or passed and it's his fault but goals are lost LL over the pitch not just in the final third. What I have noticed about Efe is that he always tries to create space when playing out of defence instead of just booting it up the pitch. That allows the midfield to compose itself, but some sometimes that is made harder for him by poor off the ball movement.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Efe is easy to blame because he is a defender with questionable defensive ability who costs us countless goals.

I like him on the ball (and I don't think his crazy moments when he is caught in possession actually lead to that many goals) but he struggles with basic, bread and butter defending.

Sammy7nil
17-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Efe is easy to blame because he is a defender with questionable defensive ability who costs us countless goals.

I like him on the ball (and I don't think his crazy moments when he is caught in possession actually lead to that many goals) but he struggles with basic, bread and butter defending.

"countless goals " a wee bit OTT:greengrin looki at it another way Efe is a very good player who improves our team and we are lucky to have him.

Smartie
17-08-2018, 11:36 AM
"countless goals " a wee bit OTT:greengrin looki at it another way Efe is a very good player who improves our team and we are lucky to have him.

A large proportion of the goals we lose might be fairer.

ancient hibee
17-08-2018, 11:44 AM

Yes .Clearly we should jump in to blame Porteous at the first opportunity! After all his co defenders have only played hundreds of top level games .Against Motherwell they gave him the ball when all he could do was punt it instead of takingnthe responsibility.I think both Hanlon and Stevenson are taking a while to settle down defensively this season.