PDA

View Full Version : Tom English on Scottish football

SirDavidsNapper
02-08-2018, 02:52 PM
I've got to say that's an excellent piece and sums it up perfectly for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45037847

Smartie
02-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Yep, I read it earlier and enjoyed it.

I can't believe the abuse that Scottish football gets, normally from the same people who are fans of it.

It can be quite hilarious to follow at times and in my opinion it represents superb value for money.

Rangers and Celtic are tedious, but if you look outwith those two teams it really can be good fun.

I always like to hear people who were not necessarily brought up as fans of Scottish football but who have become fans talking our game up - the likes of English and Chris Sutton.

cleanyman
02-08-2018, 03:23 PM
For the first time in 20 years I think Scottish football is happy with itself.

Record attendances, great matches and yeah Celtic are dominating but this hasn't killed our game. We welcome the challenge.

Now if those diddies can get us a decent tv deal hopefully we can push on

Bobby Moore
02-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Re this much discussed article about Adam Rooney leaving the SPL and signing for non league Salford for a mega weekly wage and “What this says about Scottish Football”
Much derision seems to have been directed to Sky Sports (formerly STV’S) Jim White about this but I read an article from a Jim White who appears to be a freelance English sports journalist and I think it appeared the Telegraph. I think this guy has been writing for years and I’m pretty sure he done some in-depth books on some of Fergies glory years at Manchester United.
Am I getting this confused here or is the wrong Jim White (the Scottish Skye Sports presenter) incorrectly getting in in the neck from some quarters for this?:dunno:

Famous Fiver
02-08-2018, 03:37 PM
There's a guy Jim White on Talksport.

Talks the biggest load of drivel, in cliches, and stereotypes. Don't know if he still does it because I stopped listening to him yoinks ago.

One of the biggest no marks on the radio.

Sean1875
02-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Excellent read. I absolutely adore Scottish football and all the weird and wonderful patter that comes with it, roll on 18/19 :aok:

green leaves
02-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Re this much discussed article about Adam Rooney leaving the SPL and signing for non league Salford for a mega weekly wage and “What this says about Scottish Football”
Much derision seems to have been directed to Sky Sports (formerly STV’S) Jim White about this but I read an article from a Jim White who appears to be a freelance English sports journalist and I think it appeared the Telegraph. I think this guy has been writing for years and I’m pretty sure he done some in-depth books on some of Fergies glory years at Manchester United.
Am I getting this confused here or is the wrong Jim White (the Scottish Skye Sports presenter) incorrectly getting in in the neck from some quarters for this?:dunno:

it's the ex STV and current SSN presenter,he mentioned it on this Talk sport show.

norhfc
02-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Good stuff and he’s totally correct, we can’t compete with just about all leagues in England but who really cares. We have far more honest football and for many it’s also more entertaining for some of the reasons he mentioned. I can honestly see a day if it hasn’t already started when English football fans will be visiting our stadiums for the good old fashioned football experience with an atmosphere to match.
I had 2 English friends at the 2-2 Aberdeen game at ER last season, they loved the whole day out and will be back.

Pretty Boy
02-08-2018, 04:12 PM
I love Scottish football.

We can still relate to the majority of players, crowds are up because fans want to watch their team again, the quality is nowhere near as bad as the doom merchants want us to believe, it can be raw, passionate and entertaining. Of course there are problems and crap games but that applies to any league.

Give me a Saturday at ER over paying £60 and sitting next to some ****er in a half and half scarf, taking selfies and pictures of opposition players and clapping like a trained seal at all the right moments any day.

snooky
02-08-2018, 04:21 PM
There's a guy Jim White on Talksport.

Talks the biggest load of drivel, in cliches, and stereotypes. Don't know if he still does it because I stopped listening to him yoinks ago.

One of the biggest no marks on the radio.

Great article. I see TE shows the aeroplaning clip - definitely one of the highlights of the season for me.

BTW, Jim White doesn't talk, he shouts.

Vault Boy
02-08-2018, 04:55 PM
Loved that. Scottish football is so entertaining - wouldn't have it any other way.

Bostonhibby
02-08-2018, 05:13 PM
I love Scottish football.

Give me a Saturday at ER over paying £60 and sitting next to some ****er in a half and half scarf, taking selfies and pictures of opposition players and clapping like a trained seal at all the right moments any day.

[emoji106]

You've been to the Emirates then?[emoji4]

Worst atmosphere of any ground I've been in recently.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Blocks Biloxi
02-08-2018, 05:28 PM
it's the ex STV and current SSN presenter,he mentioned it on this Talk sport show.

Have they both said the same thing recently? I'm really confused now.

This is the Jim White that should know better: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/07/23/adam-rooneys-tier-dropping-transfer-aberdeen-salford-symbol/

Treadstone
02-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Have they both said the same thing recently? I'm really confused now.
[/url]

Yip. Talksport Jim White "flabbergasted" Adam Rooney swapped Top Division football for non league.

Is It On....
02-08-2018, 05:42 PM
Really good article...quite like his writing actually.

Scorrie
02-08-2018, 08:16 PM
I've got to say that's an excellent piece and sums it up perfectly for me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45037847

Says it for me. I love Scottish fitbaw at all levels. Always watch it ahead of other leagues.

Lancs Harp
02-08-2018, 08:23 PM
im not going knock the EPL or English football in general, as a football fan I think its up there amongst the best competitions there is in football. Having said that Im slightly in the unusual position of being English, living in England but supporting a Scottish football team and hence see far more live (as in attending) Scottish games than I do English games. The appeal to me is that the game is a bit of throw back to watching football when I was kid, its a more honest game, more physical than the often mollycoddled counterpart south of the border and indeed across much of Europe. I've seen some cracking games with a fair share of crap games too but thats football in every country and league in the world. You take the rough with the smooth as a football fan. There is certainly plenty of quality in the SPL, I think the league game in Scotland is indeed in good health, the only shadow for me is the continual sectarian bile in certain you know where quarters. Plenty to work on to keep the game going in the right direction but plenty to be happy about and be encouraged.

Your national team is crap though :wink::greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Super article and sums up the current situation very succinctly …. It could very well be that at long bloody last we have stopped caring what they think of our game in England, or anywhere else for that matter, and just come to accept it for what it is …. and what it is is a long way from the thoughts and opinions of the English media, or the Scottish EPL and La Liga fanboys who think they know what football should be like because they have seen 20 odd EPL matches on SKY & BT and once did the tour of the Nou Camp and judge ours accordingly.

Scottish football … I ****ing love it :aok:

Oh and as for Jim White …. Scottish fitba's answer to Quisling.