PDA

View Full Version : Kamberi doubtful for Asteras

AugustaHibs
01-08-2018, 04:59 PM
Posted on another thread but feel it may be missed.

Jamie borthwick on twitter

Ronniekirk
01-08-2018, 05:08 PM

If true would be a blow if he doesn't start and was always s risk not signing another striker Lets hope its just a ruse to throw the Greeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
01-08-2018, 05:08 PM
Huge blow if he misses the game.

Pretty Boy
01-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Hopefully missing training was just a precaution.

I think we'll be under pressure tomorrow so having him as an out ball able to hold it up would be a huge help.

If he does miss out it really only leave us with Shaw as an out an out striker unless Lewis Allan has travelled.

Hibee Mac
01-08-2018, 05:10 PM
This is exactly what we could not afford going into the season. If he is injured it's already too late no strikers with any pre season in them other than Shaw.

MacGruber
01-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Hopefully a bit of mind games. Wouldnt want him missing the game which would surely leave him doubtful for Sunday too.

If he does miss what does that leave us - Shaw playing and Lewis Allan on the bench. That's asking a lot.

dmc1875
01-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Just stick Efe up front or SDG 🤷🏻*♂️😂

Billy Whizz
01-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Hopefully a bit of mind games. Wouldnt want him missing the game which would surely leave him doubtful for Sunday too.

If he does miss what does that leave us - Shaw playing and Lewis Allan on the bench. That's asking a lot.

Not sure Lewis Allan is with the squad, but Hammer is
Hope Flo can make it, but if he’s a doubt, he shouldn’t play

TRC
Lennon better call Potter for the low down on a 4-6-0 formation!!

we are hibs
Yeah but all those panicking about us only having 2 strikers should shut up and trust the board :rolleyes:

Play all season to get in Europe then end up having a young inexperienced 20 year old upfront for it. Bodies should have been in by now and people can dress it up whatever way they want about quality takes time.blah blah blah but we are still 4 or 5 short the day before a massive European game and 3 days before the first league game of the season. Not good enough.

SteveHFC
01-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Yeah but all those panicking about us only having 2 strikers should shut up and trust the board :rolleyes:

Play all season to get in Europe then end up having a young inexperienced 20 year old upfront for it. Bodies should have been in by now and people can dress it up whatever way they want about quality takes time.blah blah blah but we are still 4 or 5 short the day before a massive European game and 3 days before the first league game of the season. Not good enough.

Great post.

Dalianwanda
01-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Can you tell us the background why we don’t have our targets in yet?

B.H.F.C
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM
Would be a nightmare but that’s the position we’ve put ourselves in where we don’t have options up top.

I think he’ll play.

scoopyboy
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM
I'm hoping it's a bluff or a precaution.

However if it's not then Hibs have to take the blame for going into the season with one recognised striker.

staunchhibby
01-08-2018, 05:19 PM
Not an ideal situation if Kamberi is unfit

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:20 PM

No. And I don't need to. We have had 3 months since the season has ended and our squad is still at least 4 short.

500miles
01-08-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm hoping it's a bluff or a precaution.

However if it's not then Hibs have to take the blame for going into the season with one recognised striker.

Shaw might be young, but he's already got a bit of history as a big game scorer. Plus, Boyle is playing upfront this season. That's certainty the impression I got when Slivka was put at right wing back before him.

Elephant Stone
01-08-2018, 05:21 PM

It's nothing to do with the funds over McGinn, nothing to do with other clubs, nothing to do with agents, nothing to do with difficult negotiations and everything to do with the fact that we're just not trying hard enough :agree:

GreenCastle

Or we wait for who we want to sign and get into Europe again next season?
Then we strengthen again ?

I know what your saying but it’s not as simple as we get the players we wanted - especially when SJM saga has dragged on for over a month.

SirDavidsNapper
Mind games 😉

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2018, 05:22 PM

Who should we have signed that was available, and in our price range? All while we were still after McLaren, our first choice, who appears could be signing at the earliest opportunity available to us?

Panic all you like, it wont make the slightest difference, or bring players in any quicker.

Smartie
01-08-2018, 05:22 PM
It's nothing to do with the funds over McGinn, nothing to do with other clubs, nothing to do with agents, nothing to do with difficult negotiations and everything to do with the fact that we're just not trying hard enough :agree:

Not forgetting Petrie's penny-pinching and the money that we have to pay Tom Farmer getting in the way of us affording our main targets.

Smartie
01-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Mind games 😉

I heard John Robertson's out as well.

Think for 5 minutes about a bunch of Greeks trying to find out as much as they can about Lewis Allan in a short space of time.

Jim44
01-08-2018, 05:23 PM
This seems a bit out of the blue. Has he been injured over there in training or was he unfit before he travelled? Where did the story come from? If it’s a ruse it’s a bit Jamboesque.

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 05:24 PM
No. And I don't need to. We have had 3 months since the season has ended and our squad is still at least 4 short.

It doesnt take much for supporters to have another moan....just for the record, tell me how many competitive games we have played, and how many we have lost?

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:25 PM

When did I say hibs weren't trying hard enough? Please don't twist my words to suit your argument. We have had 3 months to get ready for Europe and make sure something like this doesn't happen. Do you think it's acceptable that a 20 year old who's inexperienced will potentially lead the line in a massive game for the club?

Or we wait for who we want to sign and get into Europe again next season?
Then we strengthen again ?

I know what your saying but it’s not as simple as we get the players we wanted - especially when SJM saga has dragged on for over a month.

We have a good season. Get into Europe. Lose our players then take an age to replace them again. If we aren't preparing properly for Europe what's the point In preparing at all? Surely the whole point of us playing a league season is to get into Europe? So why when we get there are we so badly underprepared? If we were 1 or 2 short then I wouldn't mind as much but we are about 4 short. That's almost half a team.

Billy Whizz
01-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Lennon on STV news just now, saying yesterday was a long day, and it didn’t help that they had to change Hotel. What happened with this? Prep for the game seems to have been far from ideal, change of aircraft, departure time and now the Hotel

Captain Trips
01-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Lennon on STV news just now, saying yesterday was a long day, and it didn’t help that they had to change Hotel. What happened with this? Prep for the game seems to have been far from ideal, change of aircraft, departure time and now the Hotel

The Hotel heard Swanson and Boyle were staying.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:29 PM
It doesnt take much for supporters to have another moan....just for the record, tell me how many competitive games we have played, and how many we have lost?

Yes imagine being concerned that the season starts on Sunday and we may have only 1 fit striker available. What a moaner!!

Who should we have signed that was available, and in our price range? All while we were still after McLaren, our first choice, who appears could be signing at the earliest opportunity available to us?

Panic all you like, it wont make the slightest difference, or bring players in any quicker.

It isnt my job to sign and identify players. It's those at east mains. So you don't think that we are going into a massive European game for the club with one striker who's young and inexperienced and we are about 4 players short and the league starts on Sunday and you are completely comfortable with that? People keep harping on about patience. We have been for months now and have only signed 2 outfield players.

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM

Course not, why consider the challenges, strategy or wider factors at play here when we can just say 'it should all be different'? Personally I think it's a no brainer that we should have accepted the first Celtc bid, sold McGinn for sweeties and then got another striker in with the money regardless of whether that fitted a wider and longer development plan or not.

Libby Hibby
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
The Hotel heard Swanson and Boyle were staying.

And stokes was going to visit

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2018, 05:31 PM
When did I say hibs weren't trying hard enough? Please don't twist my words to suit your argument. We have had 3 months to get ready for Europe and make sure something like this doesn't happen. Do you think it's acceptable that a 20 year old who's inexperienced will potentially lead the line in a massive game for the club?

We have a good season. Get into Europe. Lose our players then take an age to replace them again. If we aren't preparing properly for Europe what's the point In preparing at all? Surely the whole point of us playing a league season is to get into Europe? So why when we get there are we so badly underprepared? If we were 1 or 2 short then I wouldn't mind as much but we are about 4 short. That's almost half a team.

Hibs are planning the long game here, 4 seasons ago we were relegated, 2 seasons ago we were in the championship.

We need to be qualifying for Europe through our league position much more regularly to have a stronger squad year on year, this will result in us being more ready in future.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Course not, why consider the challenges, strategy or wider factors at play here when we can just say 'it should all be different'? Personally I think it's a no brainer that we should have accepted the first Celtc bid, sold McGinn for sweeties and then got another striker in with the money regardless of whether that fitted a wider and longer development plan or not.

At no point did I suggest any of that did I? Just continue to twist words rather than have a sensible conversation. You're obviously happy the club have one fit striker for tomorrow and the start of the season.

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 05:32 PM
The Hotel heard Swanson and Boyle were staying and had to install an additional 36 fire extinguishers.

Fixed that for you.....

truehibernian
01-08-2018, 05:33 PM
A blow yes, but I'd have absolutely no concerns playing Oli Shaw up top, with perhaps Boyle supporting him, and playing a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 defensively. Asking a lot of Boyle away from home but there is energy on the bench from Swanson who can fill in just behind a striker too if/when he tires.

I'd be playing a flat 4 of Lewy, Hanlon, Ambrose and SDG anyway. Bartley into midfield with Slivka, SJM and Mallan.

Our set pieces could be key in this leg and Mallan in particular could be vital.

hfc rd
01-08-2018, 05:34 PM
This is what I really worried about the moment we sold Simon Murray. Hope it’s nothing serious.

Since90+2
A blow yes, but I'd have absolutely no concerns playing Oli Shaw up top, with perhaps Boyle supporting him, and playing a 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 defensively. Asking a lot of Boyle away from home but there is energy on the bench from Swanson who can fill in just behind a striker too if/when he tires.

I'd be playing a flat 4 of Lewy, Hanlon, Ambrose and SDG anyway. Bartley into midfield with Slivka, SJM and Mallan.

Our set pieces could be key in this leg and Mallan in particular could be vital.

Shaw is miles away from being able to play upfront by himself at this level.

Gordy M
At no point did I suggest any of that did I? Just continue to twist words rather than have a sensible conversation. You're obviously happy the club have one fit striker for tomorrow and the start of the season.

Ah right....so now Shaw isnt part of the team/squad anymore and you KNOW we wont sign anyone until after Sunday??? Talking about sensible conversations and making stuff up???

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Ah right....so now Shaw isnt part of the team/squad anymore and you KNOW we wont sign anyone until after Sunday??? Talking about sensible conversations and making stuff up???

What did I make up? Do you think Shaw is good enough to lead the line tomorrow on his own? I don't. I like him but you're asking far too much of him to do that.

Ronniekirk
01-08-2018, 05:37 PM

His demeanour wasn't great and was fairly dour faced Clearly not happy and rightly so

Smartie
01-08-2018, 05:38 PM
I've thought all along that Boyle may well be the most important player in this fixture - his pace on the break will be a threat in itself, but drawing free-kicks that Mallan can capitalise on will be huge.

Not sure he's a lone striker though.

Captain Trips
01-08-2018, 05:38 PM
I do jot see why Shaw should have any more difficulties playing this defence than any of the others he has faced thus far in his career.

truehibernian
01-08-2018, 05:40 PM

I didn't say lone striker, I said Boyle supporting him slightly behind. And have faith in Shaw - he's not 'miles away', he's scored a cracker in the competition already, scored in a semi-final, 'scored' v Hearts, and has a few important goals to his name already. I'd have no worries playing him at all :aok: good temperament too which is a great asset in a game like this - his head never drops and he always works hard.

Billy Whizz
01-08-2018, 05:40 PM
Hope injury with Flo is not too serious, if he misses tomorrow game that is bad enough, but it’s worse than 1st feared, could miss a few League games which would be a disaster.
We don’t have another player like him on out books!

Here’s hoping it’s just a precaution

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 05:41 PM
What did I make up? Do you think Shaw is good enough to lead the line tomorrow on his own? I don't. I like him but you're asking far too much of him to do that.

You said we will have one fit striker for the start of the season and you dont even know if Kamberi is fit or not?? Or whether will will sign anyone in the next 2/3 days.....?? You have no idea but You are just having a wee hissy fit for whatever reason. Why not wait until after tomorrow or for sunday before getting all upset?

Real Emerald

I'd be playing a flat 4 of Lewy, Hanlon, Ambrose and SDG anyway. Bartley into midfield with Slivka, SJM and Mallon

“Absolutely no concerns”, Shaw leading the line himself and our right winger supporting him with no back up striker to call on!! Well I’m concerned 😧

supermcginn

Agreed

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 05:42 PM

You go from "Just continue to twist words" to "You're obviously happy the club have one fit striker for tomorrow" in two sentences. :dunno:

We need more players. The McGinn situation is clearly central to a lot of what else may happen. Enticing McLaren back is a delicate and lengthy trick to execute. Lennon wants to improve the squad with each signing to deliver incremental improvement, that means short term pain for long term gain. Our target this year should be top four, back into Europe and a good cup run. Any kind of European run this season is a bonus. We've a squad good enough for the start of the season and we'll be signing more soon. We're on target and the sooner you realise that the better.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:43 PM
You said we will have one fit striker for the start of the season and you dont even know if Kamberi is fit or not?? Or whether will will sign anyone in the next 2/3 days.....?? You have no idea but You are just having a wee hissy fit for whatever reason. Why not wait until after tomorrow or for sunday before getting all upset?

Well if kamberi is a doubt for tomorrow I wouldn't think he would be fully fit would you? I'm still waiting to hear what I made up? Cheers

DetroitHibs
01-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Even if Flo is fit, there's no way we should have been playing a two legged European game without another striker brought in. Shaw is NOT the answer.

1van Sprou7e
01-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Sounds like underhand tactics fae the greeks

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Well if kamberi is a doubt for tomorrow I wouldn't think he would be fully fit would you? I'm still waiting to hear what I made up? Cheers

We have one fit striker for the start of the season? Have we? Know that for a fact?

Hi Heid Yin
01-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Shaw might be inexperienced but he is still dangerous in and around the box.
I could see him sneeking one against the savvy Greeks if push came to shove.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:47 PM
You go from "Just continue to twist words" to "You're obviously happy the club have one fit striker for tomorrow" in two sentences. :dunno:

We need more players. The McGinn situation is clearly central to a lot of what else may happen. Enticing McLaren back is a delicate and lengthy trick to execute. Lennon wants to improve the squad with each signing to deliver incremental improvement, that means short term pain for long term gain. Our target this year should be top four, back into Europe and a good cup run. Anything kind of European run this season is a bonus. We've a squad good enough for the start of the season and we'll be signing more soon. We're on target and the sooner you realise that the better.

I was making an observation that you were happy with our squad heading into tomorrow. Which you obviously are otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Why is the McGinn situation central? Weren't we told we would have the biggest footballing budget ever? Surely that would include for signing players? Or where we banking on mcginn being sold early. If that's the case mouths should have been kept shut as they've mislead fans. No one said "we will have the biggest budget ever but only once mcginn goes".

GreenCastle
01-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Quite a few teams seem to be struggling to bring players in..

Celtic
Man Utd
Spurs
Man City
Newcastle

Anyway I do agree I feel we are short and you would think we would have been wary of an injury to a key player would mean we need back up - especially when we have a real chance to get through and make more ££.

Real Emerald
01-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Even if Flo is fit, there's no way we should have been playing a two legged European game without another striker brought in. Shaw is NOT the answer.
I totally agree its a ridiculous situation to be facing at this point in the season. Even if we were still chasing top targets there must be other avenues to cover these positions even on a temporary basis. If Shaw gets injured we don’t have any strikers at all. Record ST numbers to turn up to watch that situation on Sunday. It’s not good.

Sioux
01-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Why don't you explain the processes that Hibs should have adopted, and how they could have forced players to sign, or persuade other clubs to agree to a transfer? If you provide that information we will all be in a better position to judge whether Hibs have got it right or got it wrong.

The alternative might be that you want to sign any old huddy just for the sake of saying we've got four strikers, or whatever. And then of course moan like **** coz they're *****.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
We have one fit striker for the start of the season? Have we? Know that for a fact?

Well considering kamberi is a doubt for tomorrow would you think he is fully fit? So Shaw is the only one that's fit Yes?

Hibs90
I will be very suprised if Kamberi does not start tomorrow night.

truehibernian
“Absolutely no concerns”, Shaw leading the line himself and our right winger supporting him with no back up striker to call on!! Well I’m concerned 😧

I have no concerns any time I watch Oli, so yep, no concerns in the TH camp if Flo is injured. He's a top player :aok:

Did Jamie Gullan or Lewis Allan travel on Tuesday after Monday's game ?

jgl07
01-08-2018, 05:50 PM

June and July. That’s two months in my estimation.

hfc rd
01-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Could it be mind games?

Elephant Stone
01-08-2018, 05:51 PM

I trust that we have done everything in our power to get our targets in as quickly as we can. Do you know something we don't?

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Well considering kamberi is a doubt for tomorrow would you think he is fully fit? So Shaw is the only one that's fit Yes?

Is a doubt....so not confirmed? And we are signing no players before sunday.....?? You have no idea, but instead of waiting to see, you decided to have a wee rant....crack on. Hopefully we will get at least a draw tomorrow and get through and more players in the next few days.

theonlywayisup
01-08-2018, 05:54 PM
I'm really surprised we let Murray go without having someone ready and available to replace him up front.

truehibernian
01-08-2018, 05:56 PM
Is a doubt....so not confirmed? And we are signing no players before sunday.....?? You have no idea, but instead of waiting to see, you decided to have a wee rant....crack on. Hopefully we will get at least a draw tomorrow and get through and more players in the next few days.

I'm now hoping sooooooooooo much that Oli scores a couple if he is playing - at any stage of the game and whoever he's alongside :greengrin Lennon trusts him and selects him, no reason for any supporters not to do likewise :aok:

Bishop Hibee
01-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Fingers crossed he’s fit. It shows we need two more strikers before the transfer window closes.

Jim44
01-08-2018, 06:01 PM
Could it be mind games?

I doubt if the Greeks would give a toss about any mind games palaver. They’ll have one thing in mind ....... go out and rip us apart. That might work in our favour and scoring on the break might be our best chance.

green day
01-08-2018, 06:03 PM
I love this. Fans getting all in a lather about a possibility Flo might miss it.

I yearn for pre social media days.....,

hibbymick
01-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Ive got no problem with Ollie playing up front, its no Barcelona were playing. Their defence were poor when we got going last week. Shaw has been up against better payers.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:05 PM

IF A PLAYER IS A DOUBT THEN THEY ARE NOT FULLY FIT. What do you not understand about that? I said we have one FIT striker. Which is obviously the case unless you think Lennon is lying?

Smartie
01-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Ive got no problem with Ollie playing up front, its no Barcelona were playing. Their defence were poor when we got going last week. Shaw has been up against better payers.

He's played his best football against Celtic, a far superior team to Asteras.

green day
01-08-2018, 06:07 PM
This thread is an absolute classic 🤣🤣

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 06:08 PM
I was making an observation that you were happy with our squad heading into tomorrow. Which you obviously are otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Why is the McGinn situation central? Weren't we told we would have the biggest footballing budget ever? Surely that would include for signing players? Or where we banking on mcginn being sold early. If that's the case mouths should have been kept shut as they've mislead fans. No one said "we will have the biggest budget ever but only once mcginn goes".

No, you were actually twisting my words immediately after moaning about having your own words twisted.

I'd like us to have a far stronger squad, but I recognise that this isn't all in our own hands. Other clubs and the players themselves will be weighing up options and they have a choice about where they go. I'll live with where we are at now because I recognise that the present moment is just one step on a much longer strategy which leads to vastly better in the longer term.

The McGinn situation is central because - regardless of the size of budget currently available - if he goes then he needs replaced which in turn has an impact on the relative budget and wage available to be spent in other positions. Do you really want us to be blowing our budget now on the basis that McGinn is staying, when in fact he may well go if a bigger bid is placed in which case the nature of the players we need to bring in changes quite substantially?

In the unlikely eventuality that McGinn went for £4million next week we would be in a significantly different position regarding how much extra we might be able to shell out for a fee and wages for an additional striker, so why would we jump to buy decent today when we may be able to buy excellent tomorrow? There are a lot of variables at play here.

You don't care about any of that that though, you want players now regardless of the logic.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:09 PM
June and July. That’s two months in my estimation.

The season ended in May. That was 3 months ago.

Gordy M
IF A PLAYER IS A DOUBT THEN THEY ARE NOT FULLY FIT. What do you not understand about that? I said we have one FIT striker. Which is obviously the case unless you think Lennon is lying?

Was that you shouting through your keyboard?? Hahahaha. Calm down....you will do yourself an injury petal.

CropleyWasGod
IF A PLAYER IS A DOUBT THEN THEY ARE NOT FULLY FIT. What do you not understand about that? I said we have one FIT striker. Which is obviously the case unless you think Lennon is lying?Or... option 3.... He's playing mind games.

Now stop shouting [emoji8]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

neil7908
01-08-2018, 06:10 PM
I'm really surprised we let Murray go without having someone ready and available to replace him up front.

I'm happy for the club to wait for the right players but that's the one that worries me. I appreciate its a good deal for the club and Simon but imo we shouldn't have let him go without the having a replacement in the door. Maybe we were close and it broke down but that was a situation where the club did have a choice and took a gamble. Hopefully it'll pay off, we'll get through and bring in better players but could backfire on us badly.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Was that you shouting through your keyboard?? Hahahaha. Calm down....you will do yourself an injury petal.

I don't think you can shout through a keyboard, mate. I was putting it in capitals because you don't seem to understand that someone who is an injury doubt clearly isn't fully fit. Therefore if said striker isn't fully fit and we only have one other who is full fit then we only have one fit striker at the club.

Iain G
01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
No, you were actually twisting my words immediately after moaning about having your own words twisted.

I'd like us to have a far stronger squad, but I recognise that this isn't all in our own hands. Other clubs and the players themselves will be weighing up options and they have a choice about where they go. I'll live with where we are at now because I recognise that the present moment is just one step on a much longer strategy which leads to vastly better in the longer term.

The McGinn situation is central because - regardless of the size of budget currently available - if he goes then he needs replaced which in turn has an impact on the relative budget and wage available to be spent in other positions. Do you really want us to be blowing our budget now on the basis that McGinn is staying, when in fact he may well go if a bigger bid is placed in which case the nature of the players we need to bring in changes quite substantially?

In the unlikely eventuality that McGinn went for £4million next week we would be in a significantly different position regarding how much extra we might be able to shell out for a fee and wages for an additional striker, so why would we jump to buy decent today when we may be able to buy excellent tomorrow? There are a lot of variables at play here.

You don't care about any of that that though, you want players now regardless of the logic.

You do know this common sense approach will never catch on, much better to throw your hands in the air and panic you know...

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-08-2018, 06:13 PM
I think we may be using yam tactics here, doubtful then plays with nothing wrong with him.

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 06:17 PM
You do know this common sense approach will never catch on, much better to throw your hands in the air and panic you know...

Aye, I was thinking of chucking it all in and joining in with a full on retro Corporal Jones/Private Fraser number.

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 06:17 PM
I don't think you can shout through a keyboard, mate. I was putting it in capitals because you don't seem to understand that someone who is an injury doubt clearly isn't fully fit. Therefore if said striker isn't fully fit and we only have one other who is full fit then we only have one fit striker at the club.

Jeez this again.....you wrote we have one fit person for the start of the season on sunday....your words not mine. Firstly, we have no idea if Kamberi is fit or not?? I havent seen where Lennon has said that so you could maybe post a link? And the league season starts in 4 days so you have no idea whether we will sign anyone?? So you are having a wee rant at what might happen?

BegbieHSC
01-08-2018, 06:18 PM

Real Emerald
01-08-2018, 06:18 PM
I think we may be using yam tactics here, doubtful then plays with nothing wrong with him.
What advantage would playing mind games do. They’ll already have their tactics worked out and saying our striker isn’t fit and then playing him won’t make a blind bit difference. Kamberi didn’t train today, is that part of the cunning plot? Seems very unlikely.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:20 PM

I didn't twist your words at all I made an assumption based upon the fact you seem to be happy to be going into the season with the squad we have.

So you're saying we need to wait on mcginn going before we sign anyone else? So what if he doesn't go? We sign no one? At what stage do we actually sign anyone if the season starts this Sunday? How long do we wait on mcginn? Surely if we have "the biggest footballing budget in our history" then we should already have enough to strengthen in other positions? We aren't talking millions that we need to spent to strengthen. So I'm.not sure why mcginn going is so pivotal.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Jeez this again.....you wrote we have one fit person for the start of the season on sunday....your words not mine. Firstly, we have no idea if Kamberi is fit or not?? I havent seen where Lennon has said that so you could maybe post a link? And the league season starts in 4 days so you have no idea whether we will sign anyone?? So you are having a wee rant at what might happen?

Why wouldn't he train today if he was fully fit?

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 06:24 PM
I didn't twist your words at all I made an assumption based upon the fact you seem to be happy to be going into the season with the squad we have.

So you're saying we need to wait on mcginn going before we sign anyone else? So what if he doesn't go? We sign no one? At what stage do we actually sign anyone if the season starts this Sunday? How long do we wait on mcginn? Surely if we have "the biggest footballing budget in our history" then we should already have enough to strengthen in other positions? We aren't talking millions that we need to spent to strengthen. So I'm.not sure why mcginn going is so pivotal.

I really feel you should be in football management. And translation services.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:25 PM
I really feel you should be in football management. And translation services.

Great argument. You seem to do this a lot on here. Like on the England world cup threads you get a counter argument and hit back with inane dross

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 06:27 PM

I have absolutely no idea.....neither do you. I could ask why did he fly out if he was not fit to play??

Thats my whole point....why not wait and see before having a major rant?

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 06:33 PM
Great argument. You seem to do this a lot on here. Like on the England world cup threads you get a counter argument and hit back with inane dross

Bless

21sMay
01-08-2018, 06:37 PM
these things happen in football unfortunately. we haven't being able to bring in a striker that Lennon and his team feel can add to the squad, which I'm happy about as it would just be a wage wasted if the player wasn't upto it. we will just have to go into the game with what we have in shaw and Boyle. I have confidence in both players... I also feel shaw is a better finisher than kamberi but kamberi holds the ball up better.

Stuart93
01-08-2018, 06:38 PM
these things happen in football unfortunately. we haven't being able to bring in a striker that Lennon and his team feel can add to the squad, which I'm happy about as it would just be a wage wasted if the player wasn't upto it. we will just have to go into the game with what we have in shaw and Boyle. I have confidence in both players... I also feel shaw is a better finisher than kamberi but kamberi holds the ball up better.

Can't agree with the last bit at all, I've seen shaw miss quite a few 1 on 1's in the past few games. Kamberi would've buried them 100%

Greenbeard
01-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Michty me, some folks getting in a right lather on here. Glad we haven't done as that other team has done and bought in any old sh*te early doors. Eyes on the long term for me ie a season-long approach, so patient in the hope of securing JM and others. It's our league position come May that counts. Pretty sure everyone would have been content pre-Europe with us being in a position where we have a good shout at Round 3. Yes, if FK is out it is less of a good shout and not ideal but the back-up is there in Shaw. Better him than Murray in my book so let's just get on with it and beat the cheatin' Greeks tomorrow whoever is up front.

21sMay
01-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Can't agree with the last bit at all, I've seen shaw miss quite a few 1 on 1's in the past few games. Kamberi would've buried them 100%

fair enough . everyone has different opinions but I feel shaw is better in and around the box.

Iain G
01-08-2018, 06:49 PM
Aye, I was thinking of chucking it all in and joining in with a full on retro Corporal Jones/Private Fraser number.

I was more seeing you like the robot from Lost in Space, flailing arms, running around in circles shouting "danger Lewis Stevenson, danger" 😉

SunshineOnLeith
01-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Have you even read Borthwick's tweets? He got a knock on the knee so they thought best not to risk it.

Settle, petal.

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 06:55 PM
Have you even read Borthwick's tweets? He got a knock on the knee so they thought best not to risk it.

Settle, petal.
How many more times does he have to post before we get to keep him?

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 06:57 PM
How many more times does he have to post before we get to keep him?

Pardon?

Tug Wilson
01-08-2018, 06:58 PM
What is "fully fit"?

Players often play when not "fully fit". They maybe carrying a knock, coming back from injury or just have a cold.

Sometimes players have a fitness test prior to playing. The physio staff and management make an assessment of what the player is able to do and how they can use the player. Consideration of how playing will effect long term recovery will also be taken into account.

Also the physio staff will work on a player right up to the last minute possible to repair any injury or maybe strap up the injury if that allows the player to start.

So "injury doubt" doesn't mean definitely not playing. And even not playing on Thursday does not guarantee not playing on Sunday. It all depends on the type of injury. We can only wait and see.

With regards to the current squad, I agree that we are still short in certain areas. However, the club have set up a framework to identify the correct players and to bring those players in. There is no point setting up this framework then panic buying in July. We have to trust the process.

It has taken some time to get to the brink of Jamie McLaren signing but it will hopefully be worth the wait.

And yes the McGinn transfer is fundamental to completing the squad. We potentially need 4 or 5 players to give us a full squad and have a certain budget to facilitate this. There is a balancing act to the quality of player we can bring in for this budget. If McGinn is sold for say £3m then our budget for these 4 or 5 players massively increases and we can possibly bring in an even better quality of player.

This is long term planning so that we maintain a squad that qualify for Europe every season.

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 06:59 PM
Pardon?
Well asking for a Pardon is a bit forward of you but it may be a consideration if you pipe doon........

CropleyWasGod
01-08-2018, 06:59 PM
What is "fully fit"?

Players often play when not "fully fit". They maybe carrying a knock, coming back from injury or just have a cold.

Sometimes players have a fitness test prior to playing. The physio staff and management make an assessment of what the player is able to do and how they can use the player. Consideration of how playing will effect long term recovery will also be taken into account.

Also the physio staff will work on a player right up to the last minute possible to repair any injury or maybe strap up the injury if that allows the player to start.

So "injury doubt" doesn't mean definitely not playing. And even not playing on Thursday does not guarantee not playing on Sunday. It all depends on the type of injury. We can only wait and see.

With regards to the current squad, I agree that we are still short in certain areas. However, the club have set up a framework to identify the correct players and to bring those players in. There is no point setting up this framework then panic buying in July. We have to trust the process.

It has taken some time to get to the brink of Jamie McLaren signing but it will hopefully be worth the wait.

And yes the McGinn transfer is fundamental to completing the squad. We potentially need 4 or 5 players to give us a full squad and have a certain budget to facilitate this. There is a balancing act to the quality of player we can bring in for this budget. If McGinn is sold for say £3m then our budget for these 4 or 5 players massively increases and we can possibly bring in an even better quality of player.

This is long term planning so that we maintain a squad that qualify for Europe every season.You're gonna get this thread closed with sensible posts like this. Cut it out.

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
BBC saying he will play.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45005863

PatHead
01-08-2018, 07:00 PM
But i want someone signed now

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2018, 07:01 PM
What is "fully fit"?

This is long term planning so that we maintain a squad that qualify for Europe every season.

Yip, that is correct, but some people want it now, and will skweem and skweem until we lose our first game, then it will be :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Send me an offer then, I'll sign. Two thousand a week and I'll have the contract returned to you in 30 minutes and my agent can go get stuffed.....

PatHead
01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Send me an offer then, I'll sign. Two thousand a week and I'll have the contract returned to you in 30 minutes and my agent can go get stuffed.....

Okay then, better someone than no one at all.

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Plus crayons and a big ice cream. Or I'll hold my breath until you give in.

blackpoolhibs
01-08-2018, 07:06 PM

Does this mean we will have 2 fit forwards rather than 1? :confused:

PatHead
01-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Plus crayons and a big ice cream. Or I'll hold my breath until you give in.

No if you get that everyone will want it. Deal off.

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 07:08 PM
Some patronising condescending pish being posted on here tonight. It appears you can't have a opinion that differs from others without being signalled out by morons.

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Does this mean we will have 2 fit forwards rather than 1? :confused:
Seems so, the wee man is going to pure raging and daein his nut in..........

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 07:09 PM
No if you get that everyone will want it. Deal off.

:boo hoo:It's so unfair! Hearts get loads of new players but you never buy me anything. I hate you.

SunshineOnLeith
01-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Some patronising condescending pish being posted on here tonight. It appears you can't have a opinion that differs from others without being signalled out by morons.

Can you say that again in block capitals so we can understand you better, please?

stoneyburn hibs
01-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Have a coffee and chill out mate.

PatHead
01-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Don’t disagree with you that it is not ideal we do not have the players we want or a full squad. In an ideal world we would be sorted. No sense in getting your knickers in a twist though. There is nothing we can do about it.

lord bunberry
Time for Lewis Allan to become a hero.

blackpoolhibs

Oh come on, you were getting your knickers in a twist over something of nothing. Ignoring every part of how we've got here and where we've been for the last 4 seasons, well longer if you really think about it.

Some folk really are frightened of their own shadow, the club is run properly these days, we will make the right decisions to take the club forward, just because they are not doing things as quickly as you want, does not mean we are not trying our damnedest to get things over the line.

Dinkydoo
01-08-2018, 07:14 PM
I'll be on a flight tomorrow for the game and have been considering paying a fortune for some wifi just to get the opportunity to receive updates from you wonderful lot on how things are going.... I really shouldn't, should I.

I just know that after a few beers I'll be logging on to Shaw up front, Whittaker as CB and McGinn to Celtic before the game has KO'd

AlbertK86
01-08-2018, 07:16 PM
What should be noted is Jamie Borthwick is a Hertz and Rugby sympathiser .... same thing I suppose .... and always has enjoyed stirring it re Hibs

Gordy M
01-08-2018, 07:18 PM

Yeh that wasnt condescending or patronising at all.......

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 07:18 PM
What should be noted is Jamie Borthwick is a Hertz and Rugby sympathiser .... same thing I suppose .... and always has enjoyed stirring it re Hibs

Interesting...

One Day Soon
01-08-2018, 07:19 PM
I think the phrase is 'that escalated quickly'.

erin go bragh
01-08-2018, 07:21 PM

That sounds more promising :aok:

Borderhibbie76
01-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Could it be mind games?No he didn't train today so that's not mind games

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
01-08-2018, 07:24 PM

What are you trying to achieve posting how frightened you are all the time? :dunno:

You've made your point, countless times, and a lot of people disagree with you.

Do you want everyone to agree with you and proclam that the sky is falling in?

Why don't you send a letter to Hibs outlining your fears and what you think should be done?

Or do you just want to whine?

Scotty Leither
Don’t disagree with you that it is not ideal we do not have the players we want or a full squad. In an ideal world we would be sorted. No sense in getting your knickers in a twist though. There is nothing we can do about it.

I out forward the same argument 're played recruitment to Stephen Dunn at a work together meeting in January, Kev, not long after we got beat by that mob in the cup, a game which was Ollie Shaw going in against Berra and Hughes, who pushed the laddie into areas they wanted him to play and not the other way about.

I got the usual platitudes in return 're budgets finances, etc.,and here we are again on the eve of a massive game and our squad is light in numbers once more (even if Kamberi does make it in time). With record season ticket numbers, highest league finish in years and 2 home ties with combined gates of over 25k, when will this Board EVER throw off this cloak of caution that seems to envelop the club in good times and bad?

It's a justifiable question in my book...

Borderhibbie76
I'm happy for the club to wait for the right players but that's the one that worries me. I appreciate its a good deal for the club and Simon but imo we shouldn't have let him go without the having a replacement in the door. Maybe we were close and it broke down but that was a situation where the club did have a choice and took a gamble. Hopefully it'll pay off, we'll get through and bring in better players but could backfire on us badly.I can only think maybe when we let Murray go we had someone lined up and it's fell through or not happened as quickly as we'd hoped?? Either way it's not ideal and hopefully a new striker is in sooner rather than later

Dalianwanda
01-08-2018, 07:27 PM

You don’t need to translates to I’ve no idea....I agree we need bodies the rest of your posts just bluster.

biscuitersed75
01-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Unfortunately Lewis Allan hasn't travelled with the squad. Imo he should have been there.

Bostonhibby
01-08-2018, 07:33 PM
What are you trying to achieve posting how frightened you are all the time? :dunno:

Why don't you send a letter to Hibs outlining your fears and what you think should be done?

Or do you just want to whine?Strongly worded letter to the club required. Committee needs to be formed to draft an outline wording for future discussion.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
01-08-2018, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately Lewis Allan hasn't travelled with the squad. Imo he should have been there.

He may be injured?

biscuitersed75
01-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Pretty sure he's fit. Played 90 mins at Selkirk on Monday, emerged unscathed as far as I know.

Heckys Wheel
01-08-2018, 07:42 PM

Jamie Borthwick is a Jambo and a virgin. Take no notice.

WhileTheChief..
01-08-2018, 07:59 PM

Or do you just want to whine?

A handy post that could be used over and over again on here! Gonna copy it to clipboard :wink:

houstonhibbee
01-08-2018, 08:01 PM

So we should have kept Murray and given up on Mclaren?

JimBHibees
01-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Would have no qualms in Oli starting, very talented forward.

calumhibee1
01-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Would have no qualms in Oli starting, very talented forward.

There’s no doubt Shaw has talent/potential but we will really struggle if he’s up top in his own IMO. Fingers crossed Flo makes it or we could be facing a difficult evening of the ball coming back at us most of the game.

Baw187
01-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Great post.

It’s a nonsense post. Especially ‘not good enough’.

It’s clearly not easy and as others have argued continuously, this type of situation is typical of the struggles many clubs are facing trying to get the right people in under current market conditions. It certainly won’t be for the want of trying.

Onion
01-08-2018, 08:22 PM
This thread is an absolute classic 🤣🤣

Perhaps, but it highlights how exposed Hibs are in attack with the potential loss of one single player. That's not a great place to be at the sharp end of a lucrative cup competition and start of a new season. Even if he plays, you can bet it will have focused Lennon / LDs minds.

JimBHibees
01-08-2018, 08:28 PM
There’s no doubt Shaw has talent/potential but we will really struggle if he’s up top in his own IMO. Fingers crossed Flo makes it or we could be facing a difficult evening of the ball coming back at us most of the game.

Boyle would be supporting him. It is the reason you have a squad to trust the players that come in.

calumhibee1
01-08-2018, 08:31 PM
Boyle would be supporting him. It is the reason you have a squad to trust the players that come in.

I know he would but last week I thought Boyle was poor up top. It’s not his position if you ask me, hes a winger and should be kept out there. Putting Boyle up there with Shaw wouldn’t make me much more confident.

Smartie
01-08-2018, 08:37 PM
To be fair to the frothers, we surely all agree that the squad is ridiculously thin. It was thin during the second half of last season but we got away with it.

It's not unheard of for you to pick up a couple of injuries for players who play the same position at the same time, or the odd suspension. Sometimes you'll even need to player to do a shift out of position.

We had greater strength in depth up front when we had to chuck David Stephens on up there.

We're desperately short up front and out wide and something needs done about it pretty soon, although I don't want to be too critical of Hibs as I'm sure it is not for the want of trying.

Rangers had a fairly thin squad the year they beat us in the Championship, but had few injuries and got away with it. As it happened they suffered for being without a few key players in "that" cup final.

I don't want to see us going into a big season hoping that we ride our luck. We've not coughed up for season tickets in record numbers for that.

Ryan69
01-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Just shows how terribly prepared for this season we really are!
1 injury....and we have only a development player to fill the gap.

Squirrel 1875
01-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Jamie Borthwick is a Jambo and a virgin. Take no notice.

This is an excellent post, Chaz. Keep up the good work.

The Leith Dutch
01-08-2018, 09:10 PM

I was gonna write a lengthy post about slagging other posters off for having a different opinion.
Or your delusion in saying we need half a new team. Or just your complete ignorance on the subject of the kind of decent players we target having other options open right now and it maybe being outwith the club's control getting them to sign.

The shorter response is that the last time I can think of us rushing in a striker we *could* sign just before a European game was July 13th 2013 and it was Rowan Vine. What you're basically demanding we do is go and sign another Rowan Vine.

Have a think about that.

jacomo
01-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Our development team is really quite good though?

Other clubs throw their 17,18 and 19 year olds into the first team and see how they do. Why do we seem so reluctant to do that?

Ryan69
01-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Our development team is really quite good though?

Other clubs throw their 17,18 and 19 year olds into the first team and see how they do. Why do we seem so reluctant to do that?

Because 90% of these players will not make it!
Shaw is an excellent talent...but should never be given such a responsibility at such a young age.

The situation inregard is nothing short of farcical!

One striker in the whole team...and a development striker

Tug Wilson
01-08-2018, 09:21 PM

There is a whole month of the transfer window to go!

Some of our best signings have been in August.

I agree that the squad is thin but we are still to see what happens over the next few weeks.

As many have pointed out, we are looking to attract a higher quality player than we have previously. That can take time and a lot of work but better than signing a whole bunch of journeymen.

Mibbes Aye
01-08-2018, 09:31 PM
There have been a few posts on here about how Shaw shouldn't be 'leading the line' etc etc.

I think that represents a total misunderstanding of the kind of player he is. He's not some Mark Hateley type and I think people see his height and think he should be a Mark Hateley type who needs to bulk up.

He's not that sort of player and having seen him a good few times in the Dev team and his senior appearances, it's fairly obvious that he's not.

He's a gifted player, with quick feet who unsettles defenders with the ball on the ground ​and as such, benefits from fast, incisive players coming in from the flanks and channels. Players who we do have. I also think he (and Maclaren too) will have rich pickings from when Mallan doesn't quite score with one of his rakers, as they both have quick reactions, great close control and in different ways, the ability to fashion space for the shot.

YanYansen
01-08-2018, 09:34 PM
I have literally skipped a load of this thread, so apologies if this has been asked amid the pages and pages of bickering, but one guy did have a point:

If the McGinn scenario does have such a significant bearing on transfer activity, then how long do we wait on him?

I can only see two plausible outcomes:

1) Celtc (and John) hum and haw till the end of the window. Result: we have a stack of cash, but the season is a month old and we are scrabbling about for players who haven’t yet secured a club. I’m basing this on the apparently set in stone fact that we can’t move on anything till it’s resolved.

2) We set a deadline for Celtc, which if they fail to meet means John remains a Hibs player. Result: SJM for another season, reduced budget but more time to manoeuvre, John leaves for free in the end.

Which do we prefer?

I’m for 1), personally.

MWHIBBIES
01-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Oli Shaw is a far better player than he is being given credit for. He's better at this stage than Cummings was.

The Leith Dutch
01-08-2018, 09:39 PM

It's only an opinion when you back it up with something about what we could have done that's not "Just sign some players".

If you want to know why nobody respects your "opinion" then here's a very good reason:

1) NL knows we need players in
2) NL is not the kind of man to keep it to himself if he feels something isn't happening that should
Conclusion: the fact that NL hasn't acted out strongly points to NL feeling the club are making good effort to get the players he wants in

I doubt he, the club or anyone here is delighted with where the team and particularly the squad is at but I'm going to bet that if the efforts of the club are "not good enough" we'd hear it from Lennon who's opinion is based on knowledge of what's actually going on and not hysterical bleating.

The Modfather
01-08-2018, 09:40 PM
There is a whole month of the transfer window to go!

Some of our best signings have been in August.

I agree that the squad is thin but we are still to see what happens over the next few weeks.

As many have pointed out, we are looking to attract a higher quality player than we have previously. That can take time and a lot of work but better than signing a whole bunch of journeymen.

There is still a month of the window to go, but similarly our league season starts in 4 days not a months time.

No one is saying we make signings for signings sake, but there is a constructive debate that can be had about waiting too long for so many of our targets when the squad is this thin. We only have to look back to the championship season to look at how we started slowly until the team was in place and never managed to make up that lost ground.

Eyrie
01-08-2018, 10:18 PM
It's only an opinion when you back it up with something about what we could have done that's not "Just sign some players".

If you want to know why nobody respects your "opinion" then here's a very good reason:

1) NL knows we need players in
2) NL is not the kind of man to keep it to himself if he feels something isn't happening that should
Conclusion: the fact that NL hasn't acted out strongly points to NL feeling the club are making good effort to get the players he wants in

I doubt he, the club or anyone here is delighted with where the team and particularly the squad is at but I'm going to bet that if the efforts of the club are "not good enough" we'd hear it from Lennon who's opinion is based on knowledge of what's actually going on and not hysterical bleating.
Far too sensible a post for a car crash thread like this.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Mark Atkinson: And as reported elsewhere today, Florian Kamberi missed training today but that was precautionary measure due to a knee niggle. Should lead the line tomorrow night against Asteras Tripolis barring a deterioration in his fitness

Ozyhibby
01-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Mark Atkinson: And as reported elsewhere today, Florian Kamberi missed training today but that was precautionary measure due to a knee niggle. Should lead the line tomorrow night against Asteras Tripolis barring a deterioration in his fitness

Well that’s stopped a right good thread in its tracks. [emoji23]

DetroitHibs
01-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Oli Shaw is a far better player than he is being given credit for. He's better at this stage than Cummings was.

For a team with top four aspirations and wanting to qualify for Europe and do well, Shaw is not good enough. We need a better quality striker to partner Flo up front than Shaw. I'd go as far to have him my forth choice striker if we can bring two more in. He doesn't have the same swagger and self confidence that Jason has.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2018, 12:20 AM
For a team with top four aspirations and wanting to qualify for Europe and do well, Shaw is not good enough. We need a better quality striker to partner Flo up front than Shaw. I'd go as far to have him my forth choice striker if we can bring two more in. He doesn't have the same swagger and self confidence that Jason has.
He is a very talented young striker, he will probably end up with alot more goals for Hibs than anyone we sign this summer.

Confidence and swagger didn't help Cummings at Rangers, he scored fewer goals than Shaw last season in the league. He has more to his game than Cummings and will only improve.

DetroitHibs
02-08-2018, 04:06 AM
He is a very talented young striker, he will probably end up with alot more goals for Hibs than anyone we sign this summer.

Confidence and swagger didn't help Cummings at Rangers, he scored fewer goals than Shaw last season in the league. He has more to his game than Cummings and will only improve.

Will be delighted to be wrong. Would love to see him tear it up and score a boat load of goals :aok:

Salisbury Hibby
02-08-2018, 06:02 AM
Not forgetting Petrie's penny-pinching and the money that we have to pay Tom Farmer getting in the way of us affording our main targets.I don't grudge the interest free loan repayments (on a reduced amount) to Tom Farmer. We'd be in more difficulty if we still had to pay the bank.

jacomo
02-08-2018, 07:46 AM

With respect, how would you know?

He showed plenty of potential last season and has likely improved.

Undoubtedly we need a bigger squad but why are you running down our own players?

Tug Wilson
02-08-2018, 07:49 AM
There is still a month of the window to go, but similarly our league season starts in 4 days not a months time.

No one is saying we make signings for signings sake, but there is a constructive debate that can be had about waiting too long for so many of our targets when the squad is this thin. We only have to look back to the championship season to look at how we started slowly until the team was in place and never managed to make up that lost ground.

All valid points. No one is claiming that we are in a perfect position and there is not work to do on the squad.

My point stands that we have a dedicated department at the club to handle recruitment. If the club go out and get a replacement for McLaren and then Jamie becomes available and we are not able to bring him in then plenty on here will be bleating that we should have been more patient. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

The argument about the transfer window closing after the season starts is a different matter. One the English league has taken action on. It maybe that we see that happening up here.

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2018, 08:13 AM

Which is why i'd imagine Lennon is waiting to get the players he wants in, rather than settling for 2nd or 3rd best.

Every team in our league do not have a finished squad yet, and with a month to go before it shuts, i dont see this changing soon.

Our team will evolve over the next month, as will the rest of the clubs we will face. Europe is a little too early for us, although we are making a very good fist of it.

We are in a good place these days, and the club is on an upward spiral, lets trust those in charge at the club, this is different times.

Its not as if Lennon and his staff wouldnt have wanted all their players in by the start of our European adventure, he will be frustrated as anyone, but its the long same he's playing here.

Elephant Stone
02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
I don't grudge the interest free loan repayments (on a reduced amount) to Tom Farmer. We'd be in more difficulty if we still had to pay the bank.

He was joking mate :aok:

RoxburghHibs
02-08-2018, 08:17 AM
Which is why i'd imagine Lennon is waiting to get the players he wants in, rather than settling for 2nd or 3rd best.

Every team in our league do not have a finished squad yet, and with a month to go before it shuts, i dont see this changing soon.

Our team will evolve over the next month, as will the rest of the clubs we will face. Europe is a little too early for us, although we are making a very good fist of it.

We are in a good place these days, and the club is on an upward spiral, lets trust those in charge at the club, this is different times.

Its not as if Lennon and his staff wouldnt have wanted all their players in by the start of our European adventure, he will be frustrated as anyone, but its the long same he's playing here.

:top marks:flag:

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Will be delighted to be wrong. Would love to see him tear it up and score a boat load of goals :aok:

It’s not in human nature to be delighted to be wrong - football message board case in point :)

We need to get it right I’m nurturing the kids as we need that pathway (for want of a better word) in to the first team to inspire others to follow suit. Can just cast aside.

jacomo
02-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Good to hear this positivity from you and I agree with every word.

Ronniekirk
02-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Shaw s goal v Celtic in Cup at Hampden when he wasn't long on suggests there is a player in there Pointed to where he wanted the ball played , timed his run staying onside and cool as s cucumber slotted it past Gordon
He hasn't had a run of games to date but will be interesting to see how often he is used off the Bench this Season as he now needs game time to further develop

allezsauzee
02-08-2018, 08:38 AM

This may well be true but neither player is good enough at this moment if Hibs want to be challenging in the top 4. I have faith that Lenny will have this all in hand though.

MWHIBBIES
02-08-2018, 08:41 AM
This may well be true but neither player is good enough at this moment if Hibs want to be challenging in the top 4. I have faith that Lenny will have this all in hand though.
Shaw was our 3rd choice striker last season and made alot of important contributions. He is good enough to be part of a squad challenging for top 4 because he already has been.

makaveli1875
02-08-2018, 08:49 AM

What makes you say Shaws not good enough . He scored against Celtic in his 1st appearance at Hampden , scored a few in the league and has now scored in Europe . What more does he need to do .

He might not have the swagger of Cummings but he's a better all round footballer with a much better attitude .

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Good to hear this positivity from you and I agree with every word.

These are the good times, moaning about the team when its run badly, and we have **** manager after **** manager, bringing in **** player after **** player, resulting in relegation battles and then actual relegation is fine by my reckoning.

When the club are actually punching its weight, i dont see anything to moan about, long may it continue.

The Modfather
02-08-2018, 09:07 AM
These are the good times, moaning about the team when its run badly, and we have **** manager after **** manager, bringing in **** player after **** player, resulting in relegation battles and then actual relegation is fine by my reckoning.

When the club are actually punching its weight, i dont see anything to moan about, long may it continue.

There is a difference between moaning and constructive criticism/discussions though.

There is a lot more to be positive than negative at the moment, but it does feel like a lot of posters won’t entertain any constructive criticism or valid concerns around transfers. With those posters, who at times could word their points more constructively, shouted down

Man Down Under
02-08-2018, 09:13 AM
I think if Shaw was given more game time he'd be great. We had a pretty formidable strike force the second half of the season so he didn't see much game time. When he did play he scored some good, important goals. I'm looking forward to see how he gets on.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
02-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Cummings didn't have a great deal of swagger after he went through his first 16 appearances without scoring - which was totally understandable at the time. There were quite a number of posters on here who were surprised/disappointed when Cummings was given that three year contract after we went down, though that was possibly more indicative of the feeling around the club at the time.

Shaw's goals to appearance ratio is exactly the same as Cummings' was at this stage - but there are key differences on each side, obviously. Cummings started more games and was several matches into a season in the Championship when he hit the number of goals that Oli is now; however, his first appearances were in a horrible Butcher team in free fall, and that barely created anything.

Shaw is part of a much more talented squad, which means more chances created, but also that it's much harder to break into the team - and it's too his credit that he's been as involved as he has. His goals to starts ratio for us is superb - and for his loan spell as well, actually. I don't care that he's not the gallus character that JC is - what matters is that he listens, learns and improves. Lennon clearly believes in him, which is good enough for me.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=86709&season_id=150

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2018, 09:22 AM
There is a difference between moaning and constructive criticism/discussions though.

There is a lot more to be positive than negative at the moment, but it does feel like a lot of posters won’t entertain any constructive criticism or valid concerns around transfers. With those posters, who at times could word their points more constructively, shouted down

Can you point me towards any of these constructive posts please?

Bangkok Hibby
02-08-2018, 09:22 AM

Well said sir. Completely understand people's frustrations but patience will pay off in our case I'm sure. "Fans" anger, impatience, slagging is a football disease every club in the land suffers from at one time or another. Lenny knows what he's doing and what the club's dealings and ambitions are. You can bet your life we'd have heard from him if things weren't to his liking.

Phil MaGlass
02-08-2018, 11:11 AM
It would have been nice to have a settled squad before the beginning of the season. The fact that other teams dont have settled or 4heir perfect squads shouldnt come into it. Our season has already started and we are missing in some eyes betweenn3-5 players. The league also starts at the weekend?

Delboy4
02-08-2018, 11:25 AM
riginally Posted by blackpoolhibs http://www.hibs.net/images/hibsnet/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?p=5489688#post5489688)

Well said sir. Completely understand people's frustrations but patience will pay off in our case I'm sure. "Fans" anger, impatience, slagging is a football disease every club in the land suffers from at one time or another. Lenny knows what he's doing and what the club's dealings and ambitions are. You can bet your life we'd have heard from him if things weren't to his liking.

The better players don't usually sign straight away as they most probably have a few irons in the fire so it takes a wee while to either convince them to sign for your team or crunch the numbers to get it over the line. The jambos have signed loads of players but they are free and on a different tier (lower) Ok they might come across a gem once in a while but IMHO I would rather wait for my club to sign a player who is a better quality. Remember, we have still got 4 weeks to go.

tamig
02-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Cummings didn't have a great deal of swagger after he went through his first 16 appearances without scoring - which was totally understandable at the time. There were quite a number of posters on here who were surprised/disappointed when Cummings was given that three year contract after we went down, though that was possibly more indicative of the feeling around the club at the time.

Shaw's goals to appearance ratio is exactly the same as Cummings' was at this stage - but there are key differences on each side, obviously. Cummings started more games and was several matches into a season in the Championship when he hit the number of goals that Oli is now; however, his first appearances were in a horrible Butcher team in free fall, and that barely created anything.

Shaw is part of a much more talented squad, which means more chances created, but also that it's much harder to break into the team - and it's too his credit that he's been as involved as he has. His goals to starts ratio for us is superb - and for his loan spell as well, actually. I don't care that he's not the gallus character that JC is - what matters is that he listens, learns and improves. Lennon clearly believes in him, which is good enough for me.

Regarding Cummings’ first dozen appearances or so in the Butcher era. My recollection is that he got into good positions a lot of the time but he just couldn’t put the ball away. It almost seemed like he was destined not to score. I don’t think its right to imply he didn’t get any service as he was part of a relegation bound team. He had plenty chances but couldn’t tuck them away.

Radium
02-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Re injuries for Euro games

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180802/c35269413809e5938096f39e5be43898.png

overdrive
02-08-2018, 11:51 AM

There's usually more lenient rules when it is a goalkeeper compared to when it relates to an outfield player though.

Brightside
02-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Oh for some constructive criticism.

Stevie Reid
02-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Regarding Cummings’ first dozen appearances or so in the Butcher era. My recollection is that he got into good positions a lot of the time but he just couldn’t put the ball away. It almost seemed like he was destined not to score. I don’t think its right to imply he didn’t get any service as he was part of a relegation bound team. He had plenty chances but couldn’t tuck them away.

I must say, that wasn't my recollection - though that doesn't mean that it's not the case. I remember him missing a real shocker v Partick in one of Butcher's first games, but the period that he was in the first team we were really in free fall - we only won four out of the 18 he played in, losing 11.

Regardless, the main point of my post was to back up Shaw, so I'm happy for my memory to be wrong with regards to Cummings :greengrin

scoopyboy
02-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Good old Clangers.

I'm sure Burnley would be out if the played him.

PatHead
02-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Cole “the goal” Stockton has left Carlisle and signed for Tranmere. Another target missed. 😂

WhileTheChief..
02-08-2018, 12:39 PM

There not much discussion though.

It’s a few of you telling us over and over and over that we need to make signings.

We all know it, the club knows it and signings will be made.

Some of us are simply more patient than others!!

Tug Wilson
02-08-2018, 12:43 PM
There not much discussion though.

It’s a few of you telling us over and over and over that we need to make signings.

We all know it, the club knows it and signings will be made.

Some of us are simply more patient than others!!

This

PatHead
02-08-2018, 12:46 PM
If the site is anything like last week God help us if we go behind tonight.

Lemonade
02-08-2018, 04:01 PM

Thats a great post .

Really like Shaw and hope he takes his chances this season.