PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Evening news

Not In The Know
01-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Ok I know the Jambos say its hibs biased and we say its Hearts Biased BUT, it really is hearts biased. I know for fact more of the senior sports reporters are hearts fans than hibs.

Over the Summer the quality of articlse about Hibs has been shocking. Any in-depth analysis or reporting has been Hearts related, Hibs articles stay on the site not updated for days compared to the constant refreshing of jumbo guff.

Take today for example, the headlines section has 10 articles SEVEN of them are hearts related! We have massive Euro tie tomorrow FFS! 2 of the hibs articles are actually one Boyle interview spilt up!

Its a joke really!

makaveli1875
01-08-2018, 10:37 AM
i know 1 of there sports reporters Anthony Brown, he is defo a jambo

Bostonhibby
01-08-2018, 10:40 AM
Barry Anderson, Banderson is a jambo but doubt he can be counted as a journalist

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Not In The Know
01-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Dont even get me started on having to scroll half way down the page to get to the Hibs "section"

Not In The Know
01-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Add Craig Fowler and Joel Skid to that list.

01-08-2018, 10:44 AM
Don’t read it. I don’t bother with any papers these days.

WhileTheChief..
01-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Send them a strong worded letter.

SouthMoroccoStu
01-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Last time I bought the EEN was the 23/5/2016

Not done it since and don't plan too

Their Facebook presence is just as bad, the amount of non-Edinburgh (or surrounding areas) stories they post is unreal

bingo70
01-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Barry Anderson, Banderson is a jambo but doubt he can be counted as a journalist

Celtic fan i believe.

Means nothing, David Hardie is a Rangers fan. Doesn't effect the reporting in the slightest.

TBH it's a nonsense thread. Hearts have signed 4 million players this summer, of course they'll have more stories.

The EEN will run with the Hibs stories they're given, same applies to Hearts.

Carheenlea
01-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Honestly couldn’t tell to the last time I bought an Evening News. There was once a time it would be the main source of Hibs news for many fans, but not an outlet I require now, nor any other newspaper for that matter. Don’t miss them either.

Not In The Know
01-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Send them a strong worded letter.

In all seriousness tho... these publications rely on hibs to make money. They can also help set the tone of the supports attitudes.

Look at the constant adverts the jumbos get on sportsound from that trumpet Preston for example.

Bostonhibby
01-08-2018, 11:04 AM
Celtic fan i believe.

Means nothing, David Hardie is a Rangers fan. Doesn't effect the reporting in the slightest.

TBH it's a nonsense thread. Hearts have signed 4 million players this summer, of course they'll have more stories.

The EEN will run with the Hibs stories they're given, same applies to Hearts.You might be right. My source of info was a pre admin hearts shareholder who said bazzer was "very loyal " to hearts and had been useful to them "in a number of ways".

Could well be mince but there you go.

Baw187
01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
I hate the way that the EN journos write their articles. So many badly written prices, some of which are a joke to decipher. They love to use 50 words where 5 would suffice, and their insistence on contextualising almost any comment they make, leaves sentences at 300 word long where you lose track of how the ****ing thing started by the time you get back to the point by the end of it.

BILLYHIBS
01-08-2018, 11:11 AM
Saw this thread and thought at last a break through in the long running SJM saga or maybe an announcement of some sorts but what do I find a bunch of moaning Minnie’s greetin about a paper no one reads anymore ! Back to the drawing board. :wink:

Roxyhibee
01-08-2018, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=SouthMoroccoStu;5488429]Last time I bought the EEN was the 23/5/2016

Not done it since and don't plan too

Haha. Me too - just realised that.!

Forza Fred
01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Haven’t bought the EEN for close on 45 years but DO read their posts on the net.

Don’t think there is any overt bias one way or another.

Their job is to sell papers, not advance the causes of one particular football club over another.

If they thought they would drastically increase circulation by dramatically increasing the coverage of table tennis, then there would be many more stories on table tennis.

Diclonius
01-08-2018, 11:17 AM
The EEN website is horrible. They seem to have signed up to a template that splashes ads everywhere in the page, ads that overlay the text until closed (and follow you when you scroll down the page), ads that take up the entirety of the sides of the article and ads interspersed within the article. Almost every page also plays a non-muted video (ad or otherwise) without your consent and occasionally you'll be redirected to another website without warning. Best of all, if you use an ad blocker it throws a tantrum and locks you out.

The ultra pro-Union bias aside it's a terrible newspaper. I follow Evening News Hibs on Facebook though and the content's usually pretty good (if you can actually read the content for all the ****ing ads).

Dr What If?
01-08-2018, 11:32 AM
My first job (back in the 90s) was in the advertising dept in the Scotsman, was told then that it was the sports pages in the EN that kept the paper afloat. Roll on 20 years and I honestly wouldn't like to bet that the EN will be around that much longer, readership falls year on year and the parent company has been in trouble for a while - recently got a letter informing me that my pension with them is being taken over by the Government (normally a sign of impending liquidation).
It had been a while since I have seen the EN as a source of news of any type, a few years back they ran an article about the changes in Holyrood from the perspective of those living in the flats...they interviewed one woman and the only quote was 'I've seen a lot of change', and they got the name of the block wrong....this was an estate that at the time was less that 50 meters from their office.
As for Hibs news, there is no journalism, it is just printing what the club feel happy to release and it's probably the same with Hearts. It is probably still the case that it's main selling point are the football stories, problem is in 2018 it is no longer a particularly good source.

Brightside
01-08-2018, 11:37 AM
There are very few Journos now in scottish football. Its just bloggers that are given online space. All the ones at the News and Scotsman are horrific and its best to ignore them completely.

Joe6-2
01-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Don’t read it. I don’t bother with any papers these days.

Definitely this! I’m the same

Lendo
01-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Try to avoid the nasty Tory rag at all costs. Their twitter account is worse than Buzzfeed for mundane nonsense that has nowt to do with Edinburgh.

tamig
01-08-2018, 11:42 AM
There are very few Journos now in scottish football. Its just bloggers that are given online space. All the ones at the News and Scotsman are horrific and its best to ignore them completely.

David Hardie seems reasonable enough to me.

TelaStella
01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
STV news are just as bad if not worse. For example, last night Hibs are away to Greece but what’s the top story? Lafferty’s had a chat with Budge. Couldn’t make it up! Paul Barnes comes across as a right so n so anaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
01-08-2018, 11:51 AM

I like Anthony. Covers a good amount of Hibs stuff.

CRAZYHIBBY
01-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Ive always seen the een as a hibs paper but as we have done next to nothing on the transfer front this season and hearts have signed every free transfer going then of course there will be lots of hearts stories.

seanshow
01-08-2018, 11:55 AM
Do newspapers still exist :bye::bye:

I don't know about anybody else but I'm closing on 20 years since I bought or read a newspaper.

KdyHby
01-08-2018, 11:59 AM
I like Anthony. Covers a good amount of Hibs stuff.

Anthony is a good guy for a Jambo. Have enjoyed his company on trips to watch English league matches.

MartinfaePorty
01-08-2018, 12:10 PM
The EEN website is horrible. They seem to have signed up to a template that splashes ads everywhere in the page, ads that overlay the text until closed (and follow you when you scroll down the page), ads that take up the entirety of the sides of the article and ads interspersed within the article. Almost every page also plays a non-muted video (ad or otherwise) without your consent and occasionally you'll be redirected to another website without warning. Best of all, if you use an ad blocker it throws a tantrum and locks you out.

The ultra pro-Union bias aside it's a terrible newspaper. I follow Evening News Hibs on Facebook though and the content's usually pretty good (if you can actually read the content for all the ****ing ads).

This x 1000. Regardless of the device I am using, the user experience is horrendous.

stoneyburn hibs
01-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Where's Sydney when you need him ?

zolliehibs
01-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Add Craig Fowler and Joel Skid to that list.

Apologies if this is just stating Fowler and Sked’s team as opposed to adding them to accusations of bias, but one listen to an episode of the Terrace podcast would be more than enough to convince anyone that both are very fair and balanced about Hibs.

Bostonhibby
01-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Where's Sydney when you need him ?On here somewhere having a pop at Hibbies?[emoji6]

BullsCloseHibs
01-08-2018, 01:34 PM
It's as embarrassing as the Sunday Post. Why bother worrying about that rag?

Phil MaGlass
01-08-2018, 01:55 PM
I normally head straight to the Hibs online section automatically, mostly no yam content.

ForeverHibs93
01-08-2018, 02:28 PM
I don’t buy newspapers but I do following the ‘Evening News Hibs Alert’ on Facebook which is naturally all news to do with us, does a great job of filtering out any p1sh about the yams & keeps their focus firmly on hibs as you’d expect.

G B Young
01-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Not true. Allisbarry is actually a Sevco fan. The way he toes the party line at the PBS would make you think he was a yam mind you. David Hardie was also a Rangers fan but has been covering Hibs for so long I imagine he's pretty much crossed the divide!

DavieRoy
01-08-2018, 04:20 PM
I don’t even think they are out in Greece, I think they are taking agency material. Their parent company must be struggling if they can’t send to Hibernian in Europe.

We seem to do okay from STV and Sky. Reporting Scotland have very little football on the show now but on radio BBC has a lot. BT only do stuff when they have a live game, no extra.

The rest of the papers, no comment.

vuefrom1875
01-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Ok I know the Jambos say its hibs biased and we say its Hearts Biased BUT, it really is hearts biased. I know for fact more of the senior sports reporters are hearts fans than hibs.

Over the Summer the quality of articlse about Hibs has been shocking. Any in-depth analysis or reporting has been Hearts related, Hibs articles stay on the site not updated for days compared to the constant refreshing of jumbo guff.

Take today for example, the headlines section has 10 articles SEVEN of them are hearts related! We have massive Euro tie tomorrow FFS! 2 of the hibs articles are actually one Boyle interview spilt up!

Its a joke really!
It's a tramp rag printed in weggieland....stopped buying it years ago!