PDA

View Full Version : Best Commentators

HAZ2000
01-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Was having a think after reading the Ian Crocker interview about who the best commentators in Scotland are. Liam Mcleod I personally prefer, but know a fair few who can't stand him. As far as Co commentators go I think nobody will ever get near Davie Provan, would love him commentating regularly in Scotland again instead of Andy Walker. Thoughts?

TheMentalHibees
01-08-2018, 12:27 AM
Appreciate he’s doing the best he can but the boy on hibs tv leaves a lot to be desired.
We’re all fans however I feel there are certain voices that lend themselves to commentary and his isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenLake
01-08-2018, 12:58 AM
My favorite commentator is Ray Hudson but I don't know if he is heard over there.

DetroitHibs
01-08-2018, 02:00 AM
Used to love Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. Say what you want about Andy, but his knowledge and way he commented on the game was first class.

DetroitHibs
01-08-2018, 02:01 AM
Appreciate he’s doing the best he can but the boy on hibs tv leaves a lot to be desired.
We’re all fans however I feel there are certain voices that lend themselves to commentary and his isn’t one of them.

I'm not a fan of the young lad or Danny Galbraith on Hibs TV. Cliff Pike is okay, but we could definitely do better.

Forza Fred
01-08-2018, 02:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the young lad or Danny Galbraith on Hibs TV. Cliff Pike is okay, but we could definitely do better.

I quite enjoy the commentary on Hibs TV.

DetroitHibs
01-08-2018, 02:28 AM
I quite enjoy the commentary on Hibs TV.

I like Cliff, halftime pie report and all. Just think someone else with him would be better. The young lad sounds about 12 and just not that great. I like when they pull an injured player to join the commentary. Think big Daz joined them a few times and it was great.

Elephant Stone
01-08-2018, 05:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GySIAOO8PZE

This guy was an incredibly good commentator, can't remember his name.

Cannot stand Liam McLeod

Elephant Stone
01-08-2018, 05:26 AM

If that's the younger sounding guy who commentated on Hibs TV in the European game last week I thought he was really good.

SirDavidsNapper
01-08-2018, 05:32 AM
Was having a think after reading the Ian Crocker interview about who the best commentators in Scotland are. Liam Mcleod I personally prefer, but know a fair few who can't stand him. As far as Co commentators go I think nobody will ever get near Davie Provan, would love him commentating regularly in Scotland again instead of Andy Walker. Thoughts?

I agree. I rate McLeod. I was thinking the othere day actually about Craig Patterson. He seems to have disappeared

IGRIGI
01-08-2018, 05:34 AM
How anyone can listen to Liam McLeod's voice of a 9 year old I do not know.

He's also a Jambo obsessed sheep weirdo.

ajf
01-08-2018, 06:08 AM
How anyone can listen to Liam McLeod's voice of a 9 year old I do not know.

He's also a Jambo obsessed sheep weirdo.

:aok:

BILLYHIBS
01-08-2018, 06:23 AM
Not gonna go down well on these threads but I thought Super Ally did a great job as cocommentator at the WC a refreshing change from the usual English bias though nothing trumps Roy Keane :thumbsup:

Hiber-nation
01-08-2018, 06:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GySIAOO8PZE

This guy was an incredibly good commentator, can't remember his name.

Cannot stand Liam McLeod

Think that's David Begg, usually did Radio Scotland. Sure he was a hun but a really good commentator.

SirDavidsNapper
01-08-2018, 07:00 AM
David Begg is the benchmark

Doh Rae Me
01-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Slightly off topic but it's Bill McLaren for me.

SirDavidsNapper
01-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Slightly off topic but it's Bill McLaren for me.

Legend.I always used to wonder who Garry Owen was when i was a kid. He always mentioned him during games 😉

Chorley Hibee
01-08-2018, 07:10 AM
I was always a massive fan of Barry Davies. I recently watched a programme about his career, and his research of the sports/fixtures he was covering was immense. He also struck me as the consummate professional and gentleman.

Radium
01-08-2018, 07:10 AM
https://youtu.be/iTEgsQz-Muw

David Francey was the voice from radio when I was growing up. Always seemed to have a bit of extra knowledge about the game.

BILLYHIBS
01-08-2018, 07:16 AM

David Francey was the voice from radio when I was growing up. Always seemed to have a bit of extra knowledge about the game.

Beat me to it! :thumbsup:

we are hibs
01-08-2018, 07:20 AM
Not a commentator as such but Steven Craigen is dreadful on co commentary. Don't like the idea of having 2 people on co commentary but if BT are going to do it i would rather it was Sutton and Stewart (despite him being a hearts prick he is impartial and usually knows what he's talking about)

Chorley Hibee
01-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Not a commentator as such but Steven Craigen is dreadful on co commentary. Don't like the idea of having 2 people on co commentary but if BT are going to do it i would rather it was Sutton and Stewart (despite him being a hearts prick he is impartial and usually knows what he's talking about)

I find the commentators who say the least are frequently the most compelling and competent. Too often we are treated to people who speak just for the sake of speaking, and the quality of their content is often lacking in relation.

I noticed whilst in Germany (during the World Cup) that most, if not all, of their televised games were covered by only one commentator who spoke very infrequently. It was a refreshing change.

Diclonius
01-08-2018, 07:37 AM
David Begg for me, aside from the few times he would "under-report" a goal because it was either scored against Rangers or for Celtic.

I remember when the BBC first started doing online SPL highlights I frequently turned the sound off because I couldn't stand the commentator. That man was Liam McLeod and 10 years later he is undeservedly taking Begg's place. A travesty.

PeeJay
01-08-2018, 08:33 AM
I noticed whilst in Germany (during the World Cup) that most, if not all, of their televised games were covered by only one commentator who spoke very infrequently. It was a refreshing change.

All our live games (here in Germany) always have one commentator only - we also had a woman (Claudia Neumann) commentating during the recent world cup - she was OK IMO - she took an amazingly unfair and undeserved amount of flak on social media for daring to do so however ... think generally German commentators have a greater tactical awareness and knowledge of the game - but then I don't hear UK commentators that often, so I may be wrong ...

heretoday
01-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Oh yes. The voice of our childhood. Every playground would echo with DF imitators - "a goal,a goal!!!"

Jones28
01-08-2018, 09:21 AM
I like Liam McLeod - actually prefer his cup final commentary to Sky but both are brilliant.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Craigen breaks the basic rule of good commentating and that is forgetting that the game is the attraction, not the commentator.

Carheenlea
01-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Alistair Alexander was a favourite of mine on the radio at a time when I would listen to live games a lot more than I do now. The fact he is the voice of the 7-0 derby as well counts in his favour for me. Much preferred it when it was just a commentator rather than having co commentators chipping in - different days.

Scottie
01-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Blue nosed Archie :wink:

Green Man
01-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Mark Donaldson was always good when Radio Forth has live coverage. For a Jambo he got very animated when Hibs scored, particularly for O’Connor’s winner in the ten man derby.

ancient hibee
01-08-2018, 10:18 AM
I was always a massive fan of Barry Davies. I recently watched a programme about his career, and his research of the sports/fixtures he was covering was immense. He also struck me as the consummate professional and gentleman.
Barry Davies was my favourite-I remember in an interview he said”when commentating if you feel you should say something,don’t”.Now I’m older and deafer I can keep the sound at a level that you get the sound without having to listen to the commentary.As for having a “knowledgeable “sidekick it’s like sitting in front of two guys at the game who will not shut up.

Billy
01-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Think that's David Begg, usually did Radio Scotland. Sure he was a hun but a really good commentator.

It is David Begg and he is a massive Aberdeen fan.

Hiber-nation
01-08-2018, 10:46 AM
It is David Begg and he is a massive Aberdeen fan.

Cheers, I read on here he was a hun so glad to be corrected.

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Used to love Andy Gray and Martin Tyler. Say what you want about Andy, but his knowledge and way he commented on the game was first class.

Maybe lacking a bit of knowledge about the ability of female linos?

1875STEVE
01-08-2018, 11:22 AM
Is Crocker the voice on the 6-2 game???

"Latapy, twisting, turning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

Smartie
01-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Alastair Alexander and David Begg were both superb and are sorely missed.

I like Ian Crocker.

The shout for Ally McCoist is a decent one, and tbh I like the whole Bt Sport team. I find Sutton hilarious, Michael Stewart interesting, well-informed and consistent and I don't even mind Craigen as the pantomime baddie. Stubbsy is always good when he's on. I quite liked Derek Rae, and was disappointed when he stopped.

Martin Tyler is the best of the English lot.

Jones28
01-08-2018, 11:37 AM
Is Crocker the voice on the 6-2 game???

"Latapy, twisting, turning"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gUn9IRZoK0

Yepp - probably one of the finest commentaries on a Hibs game ever

Greenbeard
01-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Alistair Alexander was a favourite of mine on the radio at a time when I would listen to live games a lot more than I do now. The fact he is the voice of the 7-0 derby as well counts in his favour for me. Much preferred it when it was just a commentator rather than having co commentators chipping in - different days.
This.
Hate the inane opinionated banter you often get between pairs these days rather than just straight commentary, Lawro being the worst, greetin'faced erse that he is. More and more want an option on ma telly so you can switch off the commentary but still hear the background crowd/game noise.

SirDavidsNapper
01-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Only the flip side of this thread, some of the commentary at this summers World Cup was appalling. Particularly on ITV.

hhibs
01-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Beat me to it! :thumbsup:

And me too,David Francey could make a blade of grass growing exciting,wonderful memories !