PDA

View Full Version : Ballingarry memorial

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Is there a memorial to Hannan in Ballingarry, Co. Limerick where he was born?

BullsCloseHibs
29-07-2018, 03:18 PM
I think there is.

green day
29-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Is there a memorial to Hannan in Ballingarry, Co. Limerick where he was born?

Dunno, but there is a gravestone about 150 yards from my house in Grange cemetry

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 03:20 PM
I think there is.

Thanks. Am in Kerry just now and musing on making the trip in Ballingarry. If there was a plaque or memorial then that'd be great.

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Dunno, but there is a gravestone about 150 yards from my house in Grange cemetry

Thanks. I know about the Edinburgh monument at Grange and plaque at St Patrick's, but wondered about Ireland since I'm here on a break.

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 03:26 PM
I think there is.

Thanks. Am in Kerry just now and musing on making the trip in Ballingarry. If there was a plaque or memorial then that'd be great.

Carheenlea
29-07-2018, 04:22 PM
I’ve intended visiting Balingarry but not as yet got round to it. In Galway at present so not that far away. I didn’t think there was anything, and always thought it would be an appropriate fan led project to commission a memorial to Canon Edward Joseph Hannan in his home town.

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 04:29 PM
I’ve intended visiting Balingarry but not as yet got round to it. In Galway at present so not that far away. I didn’t think there was anything, and always thought it would be an appropriate fan led project to commission a memorial to Canon Edward Joseph Hannan in his home town.
Exactly. I agree.

Joe6-2
29-07-2018, 05:49 PM

Great idea

eaststandJJ
29-07-2018, 05:58 PM
We might get to go to Ballingarry anyway and have a look. In Co.Sligo, Celtic have a memorial to Brother W, who got the idea for his club from "Edinburgh Hibernians" according to the plaque there.

The Pointer
29-07-2018, 10:28 PM

How did you get planning permission?

Em, I'll just.....

monktonharp
29-07-2018, 10:51 PM
nothing to do with any plaque,or such over in Limerick but in the Hibernian supporters club Sunnyside , there is a nice connection on the wall in the lounge/bar with a pennant from the youth team of that area in Limerick. nice touch, obviously given, from the officials running the boys club from there while visiting us .

eaststandJJ
30-07-2018, 09:50 AM
nothing to do with any plaque,or such over in Limerick but in the Hibernian supporters club Sunnyside , there is a nice connection on the wall in the lounge/bar with a pennant from the youth team of that area in Limerick. nice touch, obviously given, from the officials running the boys club from there while visiting us .
Thanks. I'll take a look for it. Nice to know.

eaststandJJ
30-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Met a Hibs fan, in home kit, from Dingle, who also thought it was a good idea.

HelmutSchlong
30-07-2018, 05:27 PM

I love little things like this. It might not be big in the grand scheme of things and won’t mean much to anyone else but little gestures of friendship like this are always good to see

eaststandJJ
02-09-2018, 12:04 PM
I took advice and mailed the Historical Trust on 6th August, and got a holding reply. Nothing since, yet.
Is there another route to take? The "fans" represenatives/directors on the board?

Carheenlea
02-09-2018, 12:12 PM
I’m over there at Christmas for a couple of weeks, and will take a run down to Ballingarry.
Still feel it better to be a fan led project rather than in an official capacity.

eaststandJJ
02-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks. Hope you enjoy it too, and that something can be done sometime.