PDA

View Full Version : Army recruitment.

dalkeith stu
29-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I've just been past Tinycastle and noticed the Army recruitment truck parked up on the piazza. Interesting to see they are taking advantage of the special relationship to gather some cannon fodder. I don't think I've ever noticed them at Easter Road on match days.

Thecat23
29-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Aren’t they having armed forces day there today?

Mick O'Rourke
29-07-2018, 12:41 PM
This is the one Hibernian are recruiting for ..............

:nlgwa

Billy Whizz
29-07-2018, 12:42 PM
I've just been past Tinycastle and noticed the Army recruitment truck parked up on the piazza. Interesting to see they are taking advantage of the special relationship to gather some cannon fodder. I don't think I've ever noticed them at Easter Road on match days.
They have a poll on it on KB. Almost 40% not happy it’s on a match day

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/6828

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Could the army cope with 400,000 applications if they all want to join up??

Famous Fiver
29-07-2018, 12:46 PM
It's an odd one.

Our Govan friends also appear to enjoy a close relationship with the Armed Forces.

Incidentally there is a show being held at Tynecastle in August ( i think as part of the Fringe) which tells the 'story' of MacRaes Battalion and the Hearts involvement in it. No mention in the publicity of the involvement of players from other clubs, especially Hibs. Seems our Gorgie chums are rewriting history.

Odd.

hibbiedon
29-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Should point out that Hearts were approached by a veterans residence with regards a stadium tour......no response
Hibs were fantastic and gave an excellent tour of the stadium, they also visited with the Scottish cup in 2016 the major difference is that Hibs just go about their business while hearts seek the limelight

Aldo
29-07-2018, 01:09 PM

Most armed forces, the army in particular attend a variety of events with recruitment in mind.

erin-go-bragh87
29-07-2018, 01:18 PM
Weird thread. Why do you care what's going on at tynecastle? What's the problem with the Army recruitment teams attending events where they know there will be a lot of people?

Bostonhibby
29-07-2018, 01:28 PM
It's an odd one.

Our Govan friends also appear to enjoy a close relationship with the Armed Forces.

Incidentally there is a show being held at Tynecastle in August ( i think as part of the Fringe) which tells the 'story' of MacRaes Battalion and the Hearts involvement in it. No mention in the publicity of the involvement of players from other clubs, especially Hibs. Seems our Gorgie chums are rewriting history.

Odd.Wonder if they'll do a similar show for all the other bumped creditors, it's not as if the Macraes Battalion Trust were unique in being bumped out of money by the thieves.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

TelaStella
29-07-2018, 02:37 PM
It's an odd one.

Odd.

Hearts won WW1 mate didn’t you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenlex
29-07-2018, 02:43 PM
I think half the crowd have signed up and are away already.

BoomtownHibees
29-07-2018, 02:55 PM
Should point out that Hearts were approached by a veterans residence with regards a stadium tour......no response
Hibs were fantastic and gave an excellent tour of the stadium, they also visited with the Scottish cup in 2014, the major difference is that Hibs just go about their business while hearts seek the limelight

Taking the cup 2 years before we won it was strange

NAE NOOKIE
29-07-2018, 03:07 PM
Ach what's the problem, the army do recruiting in all sorts of places and especially I would imagine where there are likely to be a lot of 18 to 25 year olds. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hibs programme quite often have an advert in it for the army? for all I know it still does. We have also in the recent past given away free tickets to members of the armed forces.

I know the Yams are treating today as 'armed forces day' and even that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Huns do this every year in an obvious and shameless attempt to ram their 'Britishness' down the throats of us less 'loyal' mortals …. Given their propensity for imitating their west coast cousins the Yams just need to be careful that they aren't seen to be trying to do the same thing :greengrin

heretoday
29-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Ach what's the problem, the army do recruiting in all sorts of places and especially I would imagine where there are likely to be a lot of 18 to 25 year olds. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Hibs programme quite often have an advert in it for the army? for all I know it still does. We have also in the recent past given away free tickets to members of the armed forces.

I know the Yams are treating today as 'armed forces day' and even that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the Huns do this every year in an obvious and shameless attempt to ram their 'Britishness' down the throats of us less 'loyal' mortals …. Given their propensity for imitating their west coast cousins the Yams just need to be careful that they aren't seen to be trying to do the same thing :greengrin

There were paras abseiling from the Ibrox stands at one point in recent years during some display or other.

It might not be a good idea at Tynecastle in case the whole structure collapses and leads to major casualties.

AZhibee
29-07-2018, 05:06 PM
They sign Lafferty?

SirDavidsNapper
29-07-2018, 05:13 PM
All seems very Rangers

hibbiedon
30-07-2018, 03:44 AM
Taking the cup 2 years before we won it was strange
Oops. Sorted

jacomo
30-07-2018, 04:16 AM
Could the army cope with 400,000 applications if they all want to join up??

Can the supporters’ piazza plaza cope with the weight of an army truck? Might be one more item for the snagging list.

Chic Murray
30-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Interesting read on kickback. Most seem to believe it has no place in football, those who do accuse people of being politically motivated, oblivious to the fact that recruiting for the armed services is a political act.

What is most worrying is how even questioning the military is out of bounds for some. I very much doubt things would be any different here if Hibs had an armed forces day.

The irony for Hearts is that it was jingoism that saw their players pressured into enlisting in WW1. Seems some supporters would be perfectly happy for football to be the reason for more young men losing their lives.

Poppy facism is thriving.

The Pointer
30-07-2018, 12:51 PM
The defence of the realm (country and overseas territories if you like) is the first duty of the government and, whether you like it or not, this entails inhabitants joining one or other of the three services to potentially get involved in some fairly nasty deeds.

Nothing to do with poppies but making sure the bad guys don't eliminate us all - which is getting more and more likely.

Chic Murray
30-07-2018, 01:55 PM
The defence of the realm (country and overseas territories if you like) is the first duty of the government and, whether you like it or not, this entails inhabitants joining one or other of the three services to potentially get involved in some fairly nasty deeds.

Nothing to do with poppies but making sure the bad guys don't eliminate us all - which is getting more and more likely.

So, recruiting at the football is OK then?

Personally, I thought destroying industry, and leaving large sections of the population without any prospect of a meaningful existence, is a much more effective recruiting sergeant.

AgentDaleCooper
30-07-2018, 01:58 PM
So, recruiting at the football is OK then?

Personally, I thought destroying industry, and leaving large sections of the population without any prospect of a meaningful existence, is a much more effective recruiting sergeant.
Exactly :aok:

Beefster
30-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Interesting read on kickback. Most seem to believe it has no place in football, those who do accuse people of being politically motivated, oblivious to the fact that recruiting for the armed services is a political act.

What is most worrying is how even questioning the military is out of bounds for some. I very much doubt things would be any different here if Hibs had an armed forces day.

The irony for Hearts is that it was jingoism that saw their players pressured into enlisting in WW1. Seems some supporters would be perfectly happy for football to be the reason for more young men losing their lives.

Poppy fascism is thriving because you read a couple of posts on Sickbag?

Chic Murray
30-07-2018, 04:45 PM

No, because my experience of life is an unhealthy focus on the military, and it becoming more and more difficult to express pacifist views.

What I read on Kickback confirmed that there is something of a split in our society about the need to glorify the military through exercises like Help for Heroes, and the Hague Fund.

edit: or Haig fund

Dashing Bob S
30-07-2018, 04:53 PM

Knew they were good for one thing and couldn't figure about what it was. Getting shot at by strangers in a place they've never been pretty much covers it.

Vini1875
30-07-2018, 05:15 PM
I would be deeply unhappy if Hibs ever contemplate an armed forces day. Hearts and the huns can have it all to themselves.

The Godfather
31-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Don’t see an issue with this at all. It’s a jobs recruitment drive, targeted at a section of the population (young men and women) who would consider joining. No different to them setting up outside a job centre, university or rugby match etc. I feel some of the responses here are less about recruitment and more about personal views on government etc. Would not have an issue seeing one at Easter Road and I doubt neither would the 1000s of Hibs fans that serve in or have served in the military over the years. Fair play to both clubs for they way they interact with the military. Both do it in different ways, but I do feel that both are sincer in what they do. This is purely me speaking as a Hibs fan and army veteran who has interacted with both clubs during my time in the forces.

NAE NOOKIE
31-07-2018, 09:18 AM
No, because my experience of life is an unhealthy focus on the military, and it becoming more and more difficult to express pacifist views.

What I read on Kickback confirmed that there is something of a split in our society about the need to glorify the military through exercises like Help for Heroes, and the Hague Fund.

edit: or Haig fund

I'm not sure how two organisations dedicated to helping ex servicemen and women who have had bits of themselves blown off can be described as glorifying the military … for me the fact that they exist would be more of a cautionary tale about how bloody dangerous joining up can be.

IMO they shouldn't have to exist at all … when you join up being shot or blown up is a risk you know you are taking and that's your choice, what shouldn't happen is the politicians who encouraged you to do it then turning their back on their responsibility to care for you and you having to rely on charity back in civilian life.

BullsCloseHibs
31-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Fuds

BegbieHSC
31-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Have the utmost respect for those in the armed forces - it’s one of the most difficult and dangerous jobs going, and anyone serving deserves respect.

Have to say though, I feel deeply uncomfortable with some of the recruitment techniques deployed from above, and I don’t really approve of the methods of going in to schools, as has happened for years. I’d also be uncomfortable with this happening at football grounds, and I can’t say I’d be happy at all if anything like what happened at Tynecastle and happens at Ibrox came to Easter Road.

Other people will have different opinions, and I can’t make it clear enough that i intend no offence to anyone serving. I just feel uncomfortable with Armed Forces days, and the recruitment tactics.

wookie70
31-07-2018, 10:14 AM
I hope Hibs never get involved. To me being in the armed forces is exactly the same as being employed in any other job. Fishermen, firemen and scaffolders among others have far more chance of getting hurt or killed in their duties so I have no idea why serving personnel get more respect. They deserve the same as any other worker and in recent times the glorification of those who have served has been used as a way of getting support for illegal wars and other nefarious practices. That is the fault of politicians of course not servicemen and women. I have seen their stalls at recruitment fairs and I never hear them talking about terrible wages, shocking conditions, poor equipment and bullying to the point of young soldiers being killed on training exercises due to extreme heat etc.

mutley
31-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Have the utmost respect for those in the armed forces - it’s one of the most difficult and dangerous jobs going, and anyone serving deserves respect.

Have to say though, I feel deeply uncomfortable with some of the recruitment techniques deployed from above, and I don’t really approve of the methods of going in to schools, as has happened for years. I’d also be uncomfortable with this happening at football grounds, and I can’t say I’d be happy at all if anything like what happened at Tynecastle and happens at Ibrox came to Easter Road.

Other people will have different opinions, and I can’t make it clear enough that i intend no offence to anyone serving. I just feel uncomfortable with Armed Forces days, and the recruitment tactics.

AFCO’s are no longer allowed to go into schools for recruiting purposes, all the outreach teams have been disbanded. They do still go to careers days at universities though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wookie70
31-07-2018, 10:21 AM
AFCO’s are no longer allowed to go into schools for recruiting purposes, all the outreach teams have been disbanded. They do still go to careers days at universities though

Is that recent, I'm sure they were at my sons career day last year

BegbieHSC
31-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Good to hear it. Personally, I wouldn’t join the forces - I’ve always had pacifist nature, and it’s something I could never bring myself to do. I remember being 14/15 however, and a really charismatic guy from the marines came and did an assembly at school. At the end of the assembly, me and a dozen others would have signed up had we been of age.

It’s so glamorised at certain events, and I really wouldn’t like the club to be used as a vehicle for this.

Chic Murray
31-07-2018, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure how two organisations dedicated to helping ex servicemen and women who have had bits of themselves blown off can be described as glorifying the military … for me the fact that they exist would be more of a cautionary tale about how bloody dangerous joining up can be.

IMO they shouldn't have to exist at all … when you join up being shot or blown up is a risk you know you are taking and that's your choice, what shouldn't happen is the politicians who encouraged you to do it then turning their back on their responsibility to care for you and you having to rely on charity back in civilian life.

This should really be in the Holy Ground.

My take is they have too much prominence, and it is practically impossible to question the need for them, without being accused of attacking soldiers.

We're not at the American level yet, where the military are used to promote everything from bread to Budweiser, but we are going that way.

I also see those charities as a way for people to justify asking others to do the things they cannot, and to feel good about themselves when unpalatable things happen.

People should be asking why this country involves itself in so many wars that have nothing to do with us. Instead they massage their consciences by wheeling out the wounded, and patting them on the head.

SirDavidsNapper
31-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Completely agree with that

Dashing Bob S
31-07-2018, 12:17 PM

I agree with the general thrust of what you say, but would take exception to the first paragraph. I don’t think joining the army should automatically confer respect on any individual. There are lot of good people who do this, but there are also a considerable number of lost and desperate ones, and quite a few that are routinely described as ‘psychos/weirdos/thugs/yobs/losers’ and sometimes with justification- until they sign on the dotted line and they mystically mutate into upstanding heroes. The armed forces have been shown to be rife with bullying and sexual assault, and I don’t think anybody perpetuating such deeds should be worthy of respect simply due to their occupation.

Bostonhibby
31-07-2018, 12:21 PM

IMO they shouldn't have to exist at all … when you join up being shot or blown up is a risk you know you are taking and that's your choice, what shouldn't happen is the politicians who encouraged you to do it then turning their back on their responsibility to care for you and you having to rely on charity back in civilian life.I'm a non milatarian but for the folk who join up and follow orders this post is right on the money. The organisations have to exist because politicians frequently don't deliver on the consequences of military commitments we have sometimes been misled on.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Kato
31-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Forelock-tugging clowns.

One Day Soon
31-07-2018, 12:25 PM

I'm wondering what 'poppy fascism' is?

AndyM_1875
31-07-2018, 01:03 PM

For me Poppy Fascism is the now odd set of circumstances where one is attacked for not wearing a poppy in the weeks, even months, running up to Remembrance Sunday and you see TV Presenters wearing the things from the beginning of October and as was the case on Sky News a guest was upbraided by Kay Burley for not wearing one, despite it being mid October. In Scottish football the poppy has become a political football with gesture politics from the uber staunch Hun and the utterly delusional green brigade type, both serving up copious amounts of cretinous mince on the subject.

JeMeSouviens
31-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Hang on a minute - Hearts won WW1 and WW2. Now the army are recruiting at Tiny, does this mean what I think it means is on the way? :confused::worried:

Prof. Shaggy
31-07-2018, 01:13 PM
For me Poppy Fascism is the now odd set of circumstances where one is attacked for not wearing a poppy in the weeks, even months, running up to Remembrance Sunday and you see TV Presenters wearing the things from the beginning of October and as was the case on Sky News a guest was upbraided by Kay Burley for not wearing one, despite it being mid October. In Scottish football the poppy has become a political football with gesture politics from the uber staunch Hun and the utterly delusional green brigade type, both serving up copious amounts of cretinous mince on the subject.

Yup. Every year, round about October 1st, two smart senior pupils will arrive at my classroom door (somewhere between Bathgate and Airdrie). They will ask politely if I'd like to buy a poppy and, equally politely, I will decline.

The looks of disbelief, hurt and finally revulsion which will then cross their faces has to be seen to be believed.

Keith_M
31-07-2018, 01:52 PM

:agree:

There are two things that are very distasteful regarding the wearing (or not) of Poppies nowadays, the first being this Poppy Fascism you mentioned, where the wearing of a Poppy is rendered meaningless because people are basically being forced to wear one when seen in public.

The second is the even more disgusting Rantic viewpoint, where the NornIron sectarian viewpoint decides whether or not you should wear one: Proddies should and Kaffliks shouldn't, so the presence or abscence of a Poppy indicates what side you're on.

mutley
31-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Is that recent, I'm sure they were at my sons career day last year

They will only attend if they have been specifically asked to go along by the school/college. There used to be out reach teams that would go round as a matter of course and do leadership games and stuff like that to gain an interest, this is the part that no longer happens.

The Godfather
31-07-2018, 11:40 PM
I agree with the general thrust of what you say, but would take exception to the first paragraph. I don’t think joining the army should automatically confer respect on any individual. There are lot of good people who do this, but there are also a considerable number of lost and desperate ones, and quite a few that are routinely described as ‘psychos/weirdos/thugs/yobs/losers’ and sometimes with justification- until they sign on the dotted line and they mystically mutate into upstanding heroes. The armed forces have been shown to be rife with bullying and sexual assault, and I don’t think anybody perpetuating such deeds should be worthy of respect simply due to their occupation.

I take expection to your last sentence. With over 100,000 people in the armed forces I have no doubt it happens, I witnessed bullying whilst I served, but most of the time it was addressed swiftly. But rife, wouldn’t say it was rife!!!! I’m sure their is evidence on this somewhere that allows such a generalised sweeping statement, so please feel free to post so I can read.

The thing is that in most cases a lot of young men and women that join up have limited options open to them. In fairness most when joining are undisciplined and some may have had problems in the past. But within the forces they learn self discipline, respect and sense of purpose amongst other things. Like any organisation that employs so many people there will be a few that cross a line. But military disciple does not suffer those that do cross the line. In a civi workplace you bully someone you might get fired at worst,,, probably an HR meeting. In the army you get charged and most likely jailed.

It’s not a career that suits all, no different to other jobs. It’s a job that young people sign up to do and they shouldn’t be made to feel like they should apologise for doing so or even hide that they serve (in fear of offending others).

monktonharp
01-08-2018, 12:02 AM
Don’t see an issue with this at all. It’s a jobs recruitment drive, targeted at a section of the population (young men and women) who would consider joining. No different to them setting up outside a job centre, university or rugby match etc. I feel some of the responses here are less about recruitment and more about personal views on government etc. Would not have an issue seeing one at Easter Road and I doubt neither would the 1000s of Hibs fans that serve in or have served in the military over the years. Fair play to both clubs for they way they interact with the military. Both do it in different ways, but I do feel that both are sincer in what they do. This is purely me speaking as a Hibs fan and army veteran who has interacted with both clubs during my time in the forces.you are perfectly entitled to your personal view. thank God, the Mc Craes secured that for you.

AndyM_1875
01-08-2018, 08:14 AM
:agree:

There are two things that are very distasteful regarding the wearing (or not) of Poppies nowadays, the first being this Poppy Fascism you mentioned, where the wearing of a Poppy is rendered meaningless because people are basically being forced to wear one when seen in public.

The second is the even more disgusting Rantic viewpoint, where the NornIron sectarian viewpoint decides whether or not you should wear one: Proddies should and Kaffliks shouldn't, so the presence or abscence of a Poppy indicates what side you're on.

When I was at school the poppy was worn in the week running up to Remembrance Sunday and only at that time and it was very much in the mindset of we do this in memory of Grandad and his mates who got slaughtered at the Somme. It was unheard of to wear it at any other time. It was not a political symbol.

The Rangers/Celtic idiots as ever miss the point with their myopic Northern Ireland nonsense. Much to the discomfort of the Green Brigade types, Celtic had many players who served in WW1 and indeed only one club can boast 2 players who won the Victoria Cross in the world wars, Celtic.
Rangers players appeared to have a good war hiding in the Govan shipyards.

Scouse Hibee
01-08-2018, 08:26 AM
When I was at school the poppy was worn in the week running up to Remembrance Sunday and only at that time and it was very much in the mindset of we do this in memory of Grandad and his mates who got slaughtered at the Somme. It was unheard of to wear it at any other time. It was not a political symbol.

The Rangers/Celtic idiots as ever miss the point with their myopic Northern Ireland nonsense. Much to the discomfort of the Green Brigade types,

Celtic had many players who served in WW1 and indeed only one club can boast 2 players who won the Victoria Cross in the world wars, Celtic.

And that’s how I continue to wear my poppy at those times you mention. I have total disregard for what others have tried to turn the symbol into. I won’t let anyone dictate to me what they think it means. It really doesn’t matter to me one bit.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-08-2018, 08:43 AM
And that’s how I continue to wear my poppy at those times you mention. I have total disregard for what others have tried to turn the symbol into. I won’t let anyone dictate to me what they think it means. It really doesn’t matter to me one bit.

Succinct and to the point SH.

Beefster
01-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Is one attacked for not wearing a poppy in real life? I haven't worn a poppy since about 1995 and no-one has ever mentioned it. Outside TV, I would wager that the vast majority of people don't wear one.

BegbieHSC
01-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Is one attacked for not wearing a poppy in real life? I haven't worn a poppy since about 1995 and no-one has ever mentioned it. Outside TV, I would wager that the vast majority of people don't wear one.

We actually get it quite bad in work for not wearing one. Obviously I don’t want to name where explicitly, but it does happen.

Bristolhibby
01-08-2018, 10:37 AM

Being almost shamed into wearing a poppy and people getting upset when you don’t want to wear one for whatever reason.

The mock outrage when a guest on a BBC programme circa 7th November isn’t wearing a poppy.

Blinged up poppy broaches.

Having a “Poppy festival” (see Ibrox around rememverance Sunday).

All is or is a symptom of Poppy Fascism.

J

monktonharp
01-08-2018, 11:18 AM
We actually get it quite bad in work for not wearing one. Obviously I don’t want to name where explicitly, but it does happen.get it quite bad? it is your choice. tell your employer it is 2018, soon to be 2019.

Chic Murray
01-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Being almost shamed into wearing a poppy and people getting upset when you don’t want to wear one for whatever reason.

The mock outrage when a guest on a BBC programme circa 7th November isn’t wearing a poppy.

Blinged up poppy broaches.

Having a “Poppy festival” (see Ibrox around rememverance Sunday).

All is or is a symptom of Poppy Fascism.

J

Poppy teddy bears, poppy graphics at the Tattoo (surely someone gets the irony), silk poppy scarves, poppy merchandise on Princes Street.

It's becoming rather intrusive. Then you get all the memes on Facebook.

I post a picture of the war memorial with my families names on it every year. All that "lest we forget" stuff gets on my nerves.

The people who were effected never forgot.

NAE NOOKIE
01-08-2018, 12:11 PM

This for me too, in bloody spades :aok:

McD
01-08-2018, 07:16 PM
We actually get it quite bad in work for not wearing one. Obviously I don’t want to name where explicitly, but it does happen.

Ive also seen the green brigade-type Celtic fans in work trying to shame people for wearing them, loudly demanding to know why the wearer is supporting corrupt murderers, state sponsored killing, etc.

like many, I was brought up to have a deep respect for Remembrance Sunday, the purpose of the purchase of a poppy, and taught what it represents. It is terrible to see it being hijacked by rangers and Celtic fans for their own nefarious purposes, as well as the shaming treatment people get for not wearing/wearing a poppy.

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2018, 01:02 AM
I take expection to your last sentence. With over 100,000 people in the armed forces I have no doubt it happens, I witnessed bullying whilst I served, but most of the time it was addressed swiftly. But rife, wouldn’t say it was rife!!!! I’m sure their is evidence on this somewhere that allows such a generalised sweeping statement, so please feel free to post so I can read.

The thing is that in most cases a lot of young men and women that join up have limited options open to them. In fairness most when joining are undisciplined and some may have had problems in the past. But within the forces they learn self discipline, respect and sense of purpose amongst other things. Like any organisation that employs so many people there will be a few that cross a line. But military disciple does not suffer those that do cross the line. In a civi workplace you bully someone you might get fired at worst,,, probably an HR meeting. In the army you get charged and most likely jailed.

It’s not a career that suits all, no different to other jobs. It’s a job that young people sign up to do and they shouldn’t be made to feel like they should apologise for doing so or even hide that they serve (in fear of offending others).

You take exception to my last sentence? Therefore you do believe that someone’s occupation should exempt them from criticism/punishment for bullying/sexual abuse etc?

Dashing Bob S
02-08-2018, 01:11 AM

Sorry to appear disingenuous- it’s obviously the first part of my last sentence you are taking exception to, not the second, and your post actually does make that clear.

So to get back on point: if you want evidence simply go to Google or any other search engine and type in ‘Evidence of bullying and assault in Britsh Army’. A range of reports, incidents and investigations by parliamentary committees will spring up. There are pages and pages of them. It would take months to read through them all, if you could be bothered.

FilipinoHibs
02-08-2018, 03:07 AM
Poppy teddy bears, poppy graphics at the Tattoo (surely someone gets the irony), silk poppy scarves, poppy merchandise on Princes Street.

It's becoming rather intrusive. Then you get all the memes on Facebook.

I post a picture of the war memorial with my families names on it every year. All that "lest we forget" stuff gets on my nerves.

The people who were effected never forgot.

All to salve our rulers consciousness and prepare the fodder for he next war. Don't know what they are doing at football grounds now considering what you have to earn to get in. In the old days it made sense to them when prices were low an the real poor would go who had very few opportunities in life.

Brizo
02-08-2018, 06:05 AM
Agree with a lot of this

[QUOTE=AndyM_1875;5488259]When I was at school the poppy was worn in the week running up to Remembrance Sunday and only at that time and it was very much in the mindset of we do this in memory of Grandad and his mates who got slaughtered at the Somme. It was unheard of to wear it at any other time. It was not a political symbol.

The Rangers/Celtic idiots as ever miss the point with their myopic Northern Ireland nonsense. Much to the discomfort of the Green Brigade types, Celtic had many players who served in WW1 and indeed only one club can boast 2 players who won the Victoria Cross in the world wars, Celtic.

And totally agree with this.

I wear a poppy the Remembrance Sunday weekend and that's it. Growing up it was a symbol of Remembrance for those who had lost their lives in the WWs. I think less people wear them now than 20 or 30 years ago which to me is understandable as that WW2 generation have mainly passed away. That's not to say subsequent conflict victims don't deserve remembrance but I think the WWs impacted all UK families and UK society in a way that conflicts in the likes of Kosovo or Afghanistan didn't.

Like many I find the commercialisation (possibly wrong word) of the poppy with the myriad (and to me sometimes quite tacky) merchandise distasteful. Its high jacking by the Loyalist and right wing types likewise. As is TV presenter poppy season which like Christmas seems to start earlier each year.

However me and my old ma are the only folk in our large family who wear a poppy and Ive never heard my wife, our grown up children, my brothers or nephews and nieces getting any flak for not wearing one. Or my pals who don't wear one either. I don't see any evidence of "poppy fascism" in the real world and I sometimes think when a phrase comes into everyday language it can be construed as "fact" even when it isn't ?

Nevi_SOL
02-08-2018, 10:14 AM
I would be deeply unhappy if Hibs ever contemplate an armed forces day. Hearts and the huns can have it all to themselves.

Really. Why?????

BegbieHSC
02-08-2018, 11:00 AM
I think we’re well into Holy Ground territory now, mods.