PDA

View Full Version : Martin boyle

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Could he do a job for Scotland?

quite similar style to Rasheed Sterling and he was England’s secret weapon at the World Cup

HelmutSchlong
28-07-2018, 06:30 PM

quite similar style to Rasheed Sterling and he was England’s secret weapon at the World Cup

Who?

Smartie
28-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Sssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

If Scotland picked players on performance rather than reputation then he'd have been in there last season.

I'm happy to keep him as our own secret weapon.

Boyle is a very dangerous player, I'm amazed he hasn't been linked with a move away yet.

I do think he'll need to play for Celtic reserves or Burton Albion to get a Scotland cap though.

Ozyhibby
28-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Needs to add more assists and goals to his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Spaceman
28-07-2018, 06:49 PM

This. Huge fan of Boyle, but think he is still quite a bit away from a call up. Still has time on his side though!

Smartie
28-07-2018, 06:51 PM

I'd agree with goals (he's not the most composed when one on one although he's better than I thought from distance) but his assist rate has always been higher when he's had either a Simon Murray or Jamie McLaren to hit with crosses.

I thought some of his crosses against the Faroese team at home were superb.

B.H.F.C
28-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Agree.

I’ve said on here before that I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Hibs player improve as much as Boyle. There is no comparison between the player we signed and the player we have now.

However, I think he needs to kick on again to be getting in to the Scotland set up.

adhibs
28-07-2018, 07:07 PM
He's ready for the squad atleast. Players with his ability to go past defenders don't come along that often.

theonlywayisup
28-07-2018, 07:10 PM
One of my favourite players - starman

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Who?
Raheem then

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 07:13 PM

Sterling had the same problem at man city and he missed a plethora of good chances at the World Cup but didn’t stop him from being the x factor

sadtom
28-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Sterling had the same problem at man city and he missed a plethora of good chances at the World Cup but didn’t stop him from being the x factor

Is he a sh*t singer as well as a sh*t football player?
Poor laddie.

Thecat23
28-07-2018, 07:37 PM
He's ready for the squad atleast. Players with his ability to go past defenders don't come along that often.

Was about to post this. There is no reason he can’t at least be involved with the squad so they can take a better look at him in training. Doesn’t mean he has to play just being involved can improve the player alone. Well I say that but it’s McLeish so god knows!!

Scooter
28-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Defo should be in the squad. Scotland doesn't really have someone who can hug the touchline with boyles pace

J-C
28-07-2018, 07:52 PM
I think he should at least get a call up to have a look at him but will he get a game ahead of the wonder boy that is James Forest.

SideBurns
28-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Was about to post this. There is no reason he can’t at least be involved with the squad so they can take a better look at him in training. Doesn’t mean he has to play just being involved can improve the player alone. Well I say that but it’s McLeish so god knows!!

He's brave too - takes the hits and just gets up and runs at them again. Recall him saying Lennon told him to keep attacking full-backs no matter how many times he loses the ball, so think the manager deserves a fair bit of credit for how much Boyle has improved.

LaMotta
28-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Boyle's been class since he joined us. His injury for the playoffs in Stubbs first season was a big part of us not progressing there.

He was brilliant towards the end of that season and its oversetimated how much he has improved....people have just started to open their eyes to his qualities.

The_Horde
28-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Boyle's been class since he joined us. His injury for the playoffs in Stubbs first season was a big part of us not progressing there.

He was brilliant towards the end of that season and its oversetimated how much he has improved....people have just started to open their eyes to his qualities.

He's improved tenfold. Even in just his own self confidence and consistency. But his final ball has improved massively and his game intelligence, particularly defensively too. Next improvement has to be his composure and confidence in his shooting ability from distance and he'll be off to someone bigger than us.

Class player.

Smartie
28-07-2018, 08:20 PM

I don't really agree with this.

He was very effective as soon as he joined us - but more in an Ivan Sproule unpredictable bundle of energy way. Aspects of his game such as his finishing and crossing left a bit to be desired, and sometimes his movement - whilst very fast - was bit "headless chicken".

Boyle has improved massively. He is more composed, his end product is better and he plays much more intelligently than he ever did.

It seems to be a feature of players under Neil Lennon - their technical ability improves under him.

LaMotta
28-07-2018, 08:27 PM
I don't really agree with this.

He was very effective as soon as he joined us - but more in an Ivan Sproule unpredictable bundle of energy way. Aspects of his game such as his finishing and crossing left a bit to be desired, and sometimes his movement - whilst very fast - was bit "headless chicken".

Boyle has improved massively. He is more composed, his end product is better and he plays much more intelligently than he ever did.

It seems to be a feature of players under Neil Lennon - their technical ability improves under him.

Im not saying he hasnt improved, far from it. But there was plenty of chat about him being a headless chicken for the first 2 seasons when it was just garbage. People who couldnt see his potential unwilling to say they got it wrong and instead claiming Lennon has transformed him.

I actually think the main thing Lennon has done is give him more game time enabling him to show his worth.

LaMotta
28-07-2018, 08:32 PM
He's improved tenfold. Even in just his own self confidence and consistency. But his final ball has improved massively and his game intelligence, particularly defensively too. Next improvement has to be his composure and confidence in his shooting ability from distance and he'll be off to someone bigger than us.

Class player.

He has improved but he was def under appreciated first two seasons by some.

Agree class player.:thumbsup:

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 08:36 PM

I’m sure I’ll get pelters for this but If he had a better end product then I’d say he would have a chance..but at the moment , don’t think he is at the right level ...

CLASS OF 72 -73
28-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Sssshhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

If Scotland picked players on performance rather than reputation then he'd have been in there last season.

I'm happy to keep him as our own secret weapon.

Boyle is a very dangerous player, I'm amazed he hasn't been linked with a move away yet.

I do think he'll need to play for Celtic reserves or Burton Albion to get a Scotland cap though.

lovely player and much improved but like sterling does all the running with limited end game. looking fitter than ever so think his best season is now!

stoneyburn hibs
28-07-2018, 08:47 PM
There was nothing really expected of Boyle when he came, great piece of business as he improves season after season. To the point where we expect him to produce, wish he would stop being the rabbit in front of the headlights when in on goal.

Smartie
28-07-2018, 08:49 PM
I’m sure I’ll get pelters for this but If he had a better end product then I’d say he would have a chance..but at the moment , don’t think he is at the right level ...

James Forrest is the player who gets picked for Scotland most often in his position.

Is his end-product much better? He's never had an end-product in a Scotland shirt yet.

Boyle's end-product has been better with better and quicker players around him.

I wonder how many more goals and assists he might get in the Celtic team instead of Forrest?

I'm quite happy not finding out.

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 08:54 PM
He creates havoc and is difficult to defend against much in the same way as sterling.
Is sterling really that much better than Boyle that he can help get England to a wc semi and Boyle isn't even in our squad?

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-07-2018, 08:55 PM
James Forrest is the player who gets picked for Scotland most often in his position.

Is his end-product much better? He's never had an end-product in a Scotland shirt yet.

I wonder how many more goals and assists he might get in the Celtic team instead of Forrest?

Was literally about to say EXACTLY this

Boyle deserves at the very least, a call up imo and to be given a chance in the same way others have like Jack Hendry at CB (so over rated) etc

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Lol. Fair enough. I’d expect Forrest stats to be much better than Boyle’s. - more goals and more assists. Yes he plays for Celtic , but even when we were in the first division I’d be pretty sure Forrest stats were much better than Boyle’s..Boyle is certainly vastly improved but not enough end product for me ...like watching him though - a good threat to have ..and certainly a handful. Lacks composure though ..

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 09:00 PM
He creates havoc and is difficult to defend against much in the same way as sterling.
Is sterling really that much better than Boyle that he can help get England to a wc semi and Boyle isn't even in our squad?

You on the beer ??

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 09:25 PM
You on the beer ??
No but I still see a lot of similarities.....maybe I'm wrong.

Smartie
28-07-2018, 09:31 PM
I sense a "he plays in white and green, he's better than Raheem" song coming on.

houstonhibbee
28-07-2018, 09:34 PM
I sense a "he plays in white and green, he's better than Raheem" song coming on.

:greengrin

Ozyhibby
28-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Yes, James Forrest has much better end product. Boyle has a lot of work to do to get close to Forrest’s level. Still a great player for us though.

Smartie
28-07-2018, 09:46 PM
Yes, James Forrest has much better end product. Boyle has a lot of work to do to get close to Forrest’s level. Still a great player for us though.

Forrest is a player who I have always respected for Celtic against us, but never rated for Scotland.

In our most recent game against Celtic at ER, Lewis didn't give him a sniff. I've never seen Boyle as quiet as Forrest was that day.

I don't think there's that much between them.

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 09:48 PM
No but I still see a lot of similarities.....maybe I'm wrong.

[emoji3]. I like watching Boyle too.and his pace and tenacity might eventually get him a move...he has a lot of development to go though. Sterling is streets ahead of him...20 goals last season..not sure Boyle has scored 20 in his Hibs career

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

overdrive
28-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Was there not chat of Australia looking at him last season?

hfc rd
28-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Was there not chat of Australia looking at him last season?

Yes that is correct. Boyle also mentioned that he would be open to representing them if they were indeed to make an approach.

BILLYHIBS
28-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Admire Boyles pace and tenacity he has improved as a player with us and has bought into out ideology I reckon Lenny was hoping he might form a partnership with Flo upfront but that has not happened needs to look up more looks to have a decent shot on him but to date finishing erratic and lacks the necessary composure at out level. Keep him wide to utilise his pace and bring back Jamie Mac as Flo starting to look a forlorn figure as needs help and cannot do it all himself.
Raheem Sterling what can I say runs like a big Jessie has pace falls in the box always looking for a pen has a decent goals record but looked like a duck out of water at WC just did not go for him biggest critics England fans biggest fan G. Southgate says it all.

Unseen work
29-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Boyle is absolutely fantastic for us and I for one love how underrated he is as it keeps other teams away!

I don’t know why, maybe it’s becsuse he’s not a big name, came from Dundee or what but he never seems to get the recognition he deserves imo.

He is always wanting to learn and improves every season.

Not good enough for Scotland imo but the way he is going who knows, we’re not blessed with many players as quick and direct as him.