https://www.coachesvoice.com/priceless/

oneone73
28-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Just seen this on Twitter. Good read:

Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

Allant1981
28-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Good read, anyone remember who the 9 players were?

Smartie
28-07-2018, 05:47 PM

I'll guess.......

Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Danny Handling
Sam Stanton
Michael Nelson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Jason Cummings

They're all players I can remember playing at Vale of Leithen or early in the Championship season.

we are hibs
28-07-2018, 05:49 PM
I'll guess.......

Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Danny Handling
Sam Stanton
Michael Nelson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Jason Cummings

They're all players I can remember playing at Vale of Leithen or early in the Championship season.

Alex Harris too

Smartie
28-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Alex Harris too

Callum Booth?

I seem to remember him teaming up with Lewis down the left when we lost at home to Falkirk early on in Stubbs' first season.

TBF When I recount the story of the mess Stubbs inherited I've exaggerated it down to about 6 players so I'm not going to be too harsh on him.

calumhibee1
28-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Callum Booth?

I seem to remember him teaming up with Lewis down the left when we lost at home to Falkirk early on in Stubbs' first season.

TBF When I recount the story of the mess Stubbs inherited I've exaggerated it down to about 6 players so I'm not going to be too harsh on him.

I’m sure Booth was here until the January

HelmutSchlong
28-07-2018, 06:01 PM

He was. He scored in a 5-0 win against Cowdenbeath

we are hibs
28-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Booth came on at right wing back in the 1-1 Cummings derby at Tynie

Smartie
28-07-2018, 06:06 PM
Jordon Forster.

BTW - is that a bit of "exuberance" going on between Rod Petrie and Danny Handling in the picture at the bottom of that article?

Pretty Boy
28-07-2018, 06:25 PM
It's funny how things change.

Seeing Callum Booths name mentioned reminded me of the day we lost 2-1 away at Alloa. Booth had played the week before and had done quite well. Stevenson came straight back in for said Alloa gane (and Forster was prefered to the returning Hanlon) and a lot of folk at the game were going mental and there was a thread on here with folk doing likewise. Booth should have started and Stubbs had got it well wrong. Fontaine also had a mare and was a waste of money.

Fast forward to today and Lewis Stevenson is an undroppable legend who performs every single week and Booth is long gone. Interesting how things work out and probably shows sometimes managers know what they are doing.

Thecat23
28-07-2018, 07:02 PM

That’s a great read cheers for posting it 👍🏼

Thecat23
28-07-2018, 07:10 PM
What I will say if most prob don’t know the effect big Taff had in the team. He really was the brains in it all. When Hibs were struggling he often came down spoke with Stubbs or spoke with the team at half time. We all know Doolan became a fan more than anything and got us so that helped too. As for Stubbs he just really was the perfect man for the job.

I know some disagree and that’s fine. But we were never getting up first season and second we just played so many games and bad decisions cost us. But that’s history we are where we are because of Stubbs and the team he had. 🇳🇬

Hi Heid Yin
28-07-2018, 07:25 PM
What I will say if most prob don’t know the effect big Taff had in the team. He really was the brains in it all. When Hibs were struggling he often came down spoke with Stubbs or spoke with the team at half time. We all know Doolan became a fan more than anything and got us so that helped too. As for Stubbs he just really was the perfect man for the job.

I know some disagree and that’s fine. But we were never getting up first season and second we just played so many games and bad decisions cost us. But that’s history we are where we are because of Stubbs and the team he had. 🇳🇬

:agree::agree:

SideBurns
28-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Getting to 2 national cup finals in the same season while in the Championship was a phenomenal achievement. We were the better team in the League Cup Final too and were really unlucky to lose. I can't hear a word against Stubbsy.

Thecat23
28-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Getting to 2 national cup finals in the same season while in the Championship was a phenomenal achievement. We were the better team in the League Cup Final too and were really unlucky to lose. I can't hear a word against Stubbsy.

Bang on.

WhileTheChief..
28-07-2018, 08:19 PM
I still think if we’d won the League Cup we wouldn’t have won the Scottish.

Imagine if we’d actually done it!!

Smartie
28-07-2018, 08:24 PM
I was devastated after the Falkirk game (not so upset after the Ross County one - I was used to losing cup finals), so much so that I considered not going to the Scottish Cup final.

Sometimes it pays to have a bit of faith.

If that's how I felt as a fan, Stubbs deserves eternal credit for picking the players up after that to play the way they did in the cup final.

stoneyburn hibs
28-07-2018, 08:37 PM
I love Stubbsy for being the manager that won us the Scottish cup, however ( and I really don't want to discredit him) I think we'd have had the same outcome with almost any other half decent manager who bought into the ethos of what the management and staff were trying to achieve at our club.

overdrive
28-07-2018, 10:21 PM
Did they not have to pretty much beg a few players to come back after Butcher telling them to go?

HelmutSchlong
29-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Liam Craig made a u-turn in a decision to leave

s2hart
29-07-2018, 02:27 AM

It's a great website been reading it for a while, some great insights into the game.

Messaged them about getting Lennon interviewed but Stubbs was a good one, any hibs exposure has to be good.

greenlad
29-07-2018, 06:21 AM

Actually 13 players involved at Hibs in the early part of the 14-15 season that had been at the club the season before. But as has been said there were varying degrees of some already on their way out and then doing U-turns, along with younger guys who hadn't been fully involved in the relegation. So it may have been that only nine were "signed".

Stubbs point stands as it was a broken shambles he inherited.

13 are:

Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

In particular you wouldn't associate Heffernan, Nelson and Tudor-Jones with that season, but they were all involved early on.

Allant1981
29-07-2018, 06:26 AM
Actually 13 players involved at Hibs in the early part of the 14-15 season that had been at the club the season before. But as has been said there were varying degrees of some already on their way out and then doing U-turns, along with younger guys who hadn't been fully involved in the relegation. So it may have been that only nine were "signed".

Stubbs point stands as it was a broken shambles he inherited.

13 are:

Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

In particular you wouldn't associate Heffernan, Nelson and Tudor-Jones with that season, but they were all involved early on.

forgot about heffernan, wasnt actually that bad a player

WeeRussell
29-07-2018, 08:49 AM
I love Stubbsy for being the manager that won us the Scottish cup, however ( and I really don't want to discredit him) I think we'd have had the same outcome with almost any other half decent manager who bought into the ethos of what the management and staff were trying to achieve at our club.

You think we’d have won the Scottish cup with almost any manager?!

Thecat23
29-07-2018, 08:53 AM
forgot about heffernan, wasnt actually that bad a player

He was brutal for us.

Allant1981
29-07-2018, 08:59 AM
He was brutal for us.

yip wasn't great for us but was a decent player elsewhere

scotiaf
29-07-2018, 09:13 AM
His legs had gone, I was excited when we signed him.

Thecat23
29-07-2018, 10:01 AM

You’re having a laugh. Over the years we’ve had more than a few ‘“half decent” managers, not one of them won the Scottish Cup. Stubbs story is even more incredible as he had to rebuild the whole team and coaching staff.

Greenwich_Hibby
29-07-2018, 10:14 AM
You’re having a laugh. Over the years we’ve had more than a few ‘“half decent” managers, not one of them won the Scottish Cup. Stubbs story is even more incredible as he had to rebuild the whole team and coaching staff.

This.

brog
29-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Agree 100% Cat but I know JD was also a major help right from the start. I think I told you I was at Hoylake Open when some Scouse lads spotted our various Hibs tops & started chatting to us. They were pals of John D & phoned him up to chat to him about Hibs. It was slightly surreal, sitting with a pint in the tented village at The Open listening to this exuberant guy tell me, "ok, we don't even have a goalie but me, Stubbsy & Taff will sort it out". He told me they were trying to get Robles on loan & JD's mates told me JD had taken a big pay cut to come to Hibs. They were a great team & actually starting from an all time low probably helped them. I will be forever grateful to all 3!

Thecat23
29-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Agree 100% Cat but I know JD was also a major help right from the start. I think I told you I was at Hoylake Open when some Scouse lads spotted our various Hibs tops & started chatting to us. They were pals of John D & phoned him up to chat to him about Hibs. It was slightly surreal, sitting with a pint in the tented village at The Open listening to this exuberant guy tell me, "ok, we don't even have a goalie but me, Stubbsy & Taff will sort it out". He told me they were trying to get Robles on loan & JD's mates told me JD had taken a big pay cut to come to Hibs. They were a great team & actually starting from an all time low probably helped them. I will be forever grateful to all 3!

I mind you telling me that, Doolan seemed to have that determination about him to make sure we got the right balance. The three of them just clicked and looking back for me I don’t think anyone else could have brought us all together again like they did.