PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence shankland

Pages : 1 [2]

Lago
30-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Make that 2

Keyser Sauzee
30-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Missed the boat, he’s moving on to bigger clubs in the summer.

Gmack7
30-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Just get him signed!

hell ne away in January shoooorly

lord bunberry
30-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Missed the boat, he’s moving on to bigger clubs in the summer.
We’re bigger clubs

H18 SFR
30-11-2018, 07:30 PM
He's on for his third 'perfect hatrick' of the season.

Ozyhibby
30-11-2018, 07:32 PM
We should be going for him but I think it’s unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
30-11-2018, 07:32 PM
We’re bigger clubs
Yeah but he doesn't want to be constrained by our glass ceiling. :greengrin

PatHead
30-11-2018, 07:33 PM
hell ne away in January shoooorly
Might be worth more to Ayr keeping him.

Dashing Bob S
30-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Not Hibs class. Found his level.

CMurdoch
30-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Looks very good. Good movement, switched on and scoring goals.
Should sign him on a pre contract in January.

P.S. Alba interview with Shankland aired at half time. Giving it the, i want to see if I can do it down south chat, so a precontract may not be a runner.

Scotty Leither
30-11-2018, 07:45 PM
What about getting him signed now, ready for 1st January?

Ozyhibby
30-11-2018, 07:48 PM
What about getting him signed now, ready for 1st January?

Bound to be a cheaper option available.

lord bunberry
30-11-2018, 07:50 PM
It has to be said he manages to combine an impressive head of hair with a forehead that wouldn’t look out of place in the combover club of Great Britain.

Keyser Sauzee
30-11-2018, 07:54 PM
We’re bigger clubs

Bigger clubs than us will be in for him soon if not already, he’s not coming here.

lord bunberry
30-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Bigger clubs than us will be in for him soon if not already, he’s not coming here.
Maybe, but if we don’t try we will never know. I’d be disappointed if we haven’t at least made a serious offer for him. We’ve got money in the bank and we need players.

Keyser Sauzee
30-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Maybe, but if we don’t try we will never know. I’d be disappointed if we haven’t at least made a serious offer for him. We’ve got money in the bank and we need players.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up. We’ve probably, like a lot of other clubs in Scotland, spoke to his agent to sound him out but will have been told he’s away down south, just what I think will happen.

H18 SFR
30-11-2018, 08:32 PM
Third perfect hatrick of the season.

H18 SFR
30-11-2018, 08:34 PM
4 for him

monktonharp
30-11-2018, 08:39 PM
unbelievable stuff from him now. just has the snack of scoring. Utd. totally pumped. that hairy faced goat looks silly tonight.

monktonharp
30-11-2018, 08:41 PM
26 goals already:rolleyes:

Stuart93
30-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Get him ****ing signed hibs

Can see him going down south tbh

BILLYHIBS
30-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Going to be a lot more interested clubs now that was a very impressive performance four goals against your nearest rivals in a top of the table clash away from home finding it very hard to find a fault with the boy

Diclonius
30-11-2018, 09:05 PM
He'll move to a bigger club in January and it won't be us.

neil7908
30-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Get him ****ing signed hibs

Can see him going down south tbh

Absolutely no chance. He is going to attract clubs with budgets many times more than us.

He'll get an English Championship team prepared to pay him a wage we won't get near, especially as he's out of contract in summer.

Stuart93
30-11-2018, 09:33 PM
Absolutely no chance. He is going to attract clubs with budgets many times more than us.

He'll get an English Championship team prepared to pay him a wage we won't get near, especially as he's out of contract in summer.

Yup, that’s why I said I could see him going down south

calumhibee1
30-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Going to be a lot more interested clubs now that was a very impressive performance four goals against your nearest rivals in a top of the table clash away from home finding it a hard to find a fault with the boy

His foreheed. :agree:

Jim44
30-11-2018, 09:38 PM
In the half time interview on Alba he said he will be looking for a chance to improve himself ‘probably down south.’

Dunbar Hibee
30-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Swansea bound I hear. Cracking wee player.

tonyrougier123
30-11-2018, 10:30 PM
I hope we go for this guy,hes surely worth a punt in january.

tonyrougier123
30-11-2018, 10:37 PM
Unrelated but I think Simon Murray would have been real handy to us this season. Easy to say in hindsight and of course not saying the boy was a world beater.

Totally agree on murray

silverhibee
01-12-2018, 12:47 AM
He'll move to a bigger club in January and it won't be us.

:agree:

Huns or down south.

R'Albin
01-12-2018, 04:35 AM
Reminds me of Simon Murray.

Murray scored 10 in 34 in his last championship season, Shankland has 14 in 11 already.

houstonhibbee
01-12-2018, 04:48 AM
:agree:

Huns or down south.

Ayr today.................gone tomorrow :greengrin

DetroitHibs
01-12-2018, 05:11 AM
Ship has sailed, should have been in for him in the summer.

Hibby Bairn
01-12-2018, 06:46 AM
All these scouts and academy folk in Scotland and not one fancied him enough to bring him in despite banging goals in for 17 months. So off he goes to Swansea. Scotland squad next probably.

murray26
01-12-2018, 06:49 AM
I would like to see him in the next Scotland squad.. the ship has definitely sailed as far as we’re concerned..

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2018, 06:56 AM
His foreheed. :agree:

:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2018, 07:02 AM
Wonder if Aberdeen fans wrote off Shankland the same way a few on here have written off Oli Shaw?

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Wonder if Aberdeen fans wrote off Shankland the same way a few on here have written off Oli Shaw?

We need Oli Shaw to burst into life and prove the doubters wrong

Time for heroes!

Billy Whizz
01-12-2018, 07:18 AM
We need Oli Shaw to burst into life and prove the doubters wrong

Time for heroes!

Oli’s well ahead of him at this stage in his career. Shankland has never scored in the top division
Saying that, he’s come on leaps and bounds recently. Just needs to be careful, moving from Scottish championship to English championship is a massive leap. Look at how Cummings fared, and he scored for fun for us in the Championship and against Premiership teams in cup games

I’m sure Ian McCall will be advising him wisely

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Oli’s well ahead of him at this stage in his career. Shankland has never scored in the top division
Saying that, he’s come on leaps and bounds recently. Just needs to be careful, moving from Scottish championship to English championship is a massive leap. Look at how Cummings fared, and he scored for fun for us in the Championship and against Premiership teams in cup games

Would swap Olly for Shankland in a heartbeat

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 07:32 AM

I actually liked Cummings so this isn’t a dig at him but he scored nothing like the amount of goals Shankland has. Shankland has already matched Cummings best ever goals tally in a season by the end of November. He’s heading for about 40 goals this year. Cummings has done well in League One down south, I reckon Shankland could easily go and play a level above him. Worst case scenario a team in the Championship could sign him, loan him to League One and he’d probably be ready after a season out on loan.

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Football is all about confidence and it is what makes strikers tick.
I have no doubt Shankland could come into our side play well at our level and hit the ground running as his confidence is high
Confidence is low just now with our strikers they are missing chances and more often than not chose the wrong options
All they need is a break
Goals change games and hopefully our next goal is just around the corner as we badly need goals to kick start our season and go on a run

Brightside
01-12-2018, 08:24 AM
We are looking at another Ayr player. Shanks has options down south.

Ozyhibby
01-12-2018, 08:29 AM
This thread started in July but there was also one posted earlier than that. This guy is banging in goals for fun and would have been affordable in the summer. What was it about him that our recruitment team did not like?

Brightside
01-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Michael Rose is the lad we are after.

Brightside
01-12-2018, 08:32 AM
This thread started in July but there was also one posted earlier than that. This guy is banging in goals for fun and would have been affordable in the summer. What was it about him that our recruitment team did not like?

Our funds were directed elsewhere in that area of the pitch.

AgentDaleCooper
01-12-2018, 08:33 AM
Tbh i feel sorry for ayr, i'd like to see them get promoted

BILLYHIBS
01-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Lost the key to the padlock for the biscuit tin

calumhibee1
01-12-2018, 08:35 AM

23 year old and played less than 50 games. Half of which are in League One.

Anyone know much about him? Doesn’t exactly jump out at you when you see his stats.

PatHead
01-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Perhaps they targeted Kamberi and McLaren believing they were the better long term bet.

green day
01-12-2018, 08:49 AM
He scored 4 goals in 31 appearances for St Mirren and Morton in 2016/2017 before moving to Ayr.

He is definitely in a purple patch 2017/18 and this season - and will probably get a good move, good on him and he should go for as much money as he can squeeze out a deal in England.

But, to badge this as "another that Hibs let away" is pish.

He has always had potential, but - due to fitness perhaps - has never really shone.

21 goals in 4 seasons from 2013 to 2017 is hardly eye opening.

You cant really argue with why Aberdeen let him go, but good luck to him.

Dancehibs
01-12-2018, 09:19 AM
He scored 4 goals in 31 appearances for St Mirren and Morton in 2016/2017 before moving to Ayr.

He is definitely in a purple patch 2017/18 and this season - and will probably get a good move, good on him and he should go for as much money as he can squeeze out a deal in England.

He has always had potential, but - due to fitness perhaps - has never really shone.

Agree. Also , he’s never performed at a high level. Gamble for very club looking at him can he perform at a higher level, when he couldn’t in the past

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 09:22 AM
Shankland been at a few clubs I see, 17 games at Aberdeen 0 goals.

Maybe he is best at level he is at?

I'm sure if we were interested we would have enquired.

Smartie
01-12-2018, 09:25 AM
I didn't see the game last night but I've been texting my mate who supports United.

Obviously he said Shankland was very good, but he was also raving about McDaid.

He was lavishing praise on Ayr, and said that's the best team performance he's seen in a United game for many years.

hibsbollah
01-12-2018, 09:34 AM
I notice 36 year old Mark Kerr plays for Ayr now (wasn't playing last night so they obviously are doing fine without him). He was the defender who made that suicide pass back in the cup final for Dundee Utd that basically handed the huns the cup. Levein publicly castigated him, froze him out the team, he ended up going to Aberdeen and his career went downhill from there.

I like anyone who has a feud with Levein, so gaun Kerr and the Honest Men I say:not worth

superfurryhibby
01-12-2018, 09:42 AM

Yep, he will no doubt get a move down south. Whether he can cut it at a higher level remains to be seen. A well trodden path and there have been prolific goalscorers in our leagues who have done it and failed ( Jason Cummings/ Billy McKay spring to mind).

MWHIBBIES
01-12-2018, 09:44 AM
I notice 36 year old Mark Kerr plays for Ayr now (wasn't playing last night so they obviously are doing fine without him). He was the defender who made that suicide pass back in the cup final for Dundee Utd that basically handed the huns the cup. Levein publicly castigated him, froze him out the team, he ended up going to Aberdeen and his career went downhill from there.

I like anyone who has a feud with Levein, so gaun Kerr and the Honest Men I say:not worthHe is a midfielder and was one of Houstons goons at Falkirk. Was on trial here in 2013? I think

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Shankland been at a few clubs I see, 17 games at Aberdeen 0 goals.

Maybe he is best at level he is at?

I'm sure if we were interested we would have enquired.
17 games at Aberdeen hardly tells the whole story though.

Over those 17 games he came on as a sub in 15 of them and only played 220 minutes which doesn’t even equate to 2 and a half games over the season. How many goals was he expected to get in 220 minutes that we’re mainlg made up of 2 or 3 minute run outs at the end.

Some very basic, primary school level analysis from you there imo

green day
01-12-2018, 10:09 AM

Over those 17 games he came on as a sub in 15 of them and only played 220 minutes which doesn’t even equate to 2 and a half games over the season. How many goals was he expected to get in 220 minutes that we’re mainlg made up of 2 or 3 minute run outs at the end.

That is, I'm sure, all true.

However, Dons fans will also tell you that the reason he didn't get much time was he was unfit and looked heavy.

Clearly has screwed the nut now, so good luck to him.

However, it's not like Aberdeen would have left him out if he was starring on loan. Look what happened with McKenna?

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Primary school level analysis.... Have a word Mr Mensa.....

Ozyhibby
01-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Perhaps they targeted Kamberi and McLaren believing they were the better long term bet.

Possibly but I also think we should have started the season with 4 forwards.

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Interesting that Shankland has more goals against Premiership opposition than Maclaren has this season and the same number as Shaw

Tobias Funke
01-12-2018, 10:57 AM
Primary school level analysis.... Have a word Mr Mensa.....

I thought “primary school” was MWC being generous to be fair. I’d reduce it down to nursery level.

Billy Whizz
01-12-2018, 11:32 AM

He looked good last night

BullsCloseHibs
01-12-2018, 06:39 PM
According to the Beeb, Swansea are inserested in signing him.

Ozyhibby
01-12-2018, 06:43 PM
According to the Beeb, Swansea are inserested in signing him.

And if that is the case then we have missed out.
Let’s hope our three strikers can start firing again soon.

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 06:48 PM
I thought “primary school” was MWC being generous to be fair. I’d reduce it down to nursery level.

Another funny guy eh

hibsbollah
01-12-2018, 06:50 PM
This place is getting worse for the personal feuds and daft wee dramas. It's like Christmas at the Levein bungalow.

BullsCloseHibs
01-12-2018, 08:56 PM
And if that is the case then we have missed out.
Let’s hope our three strikers can start firing again soon.

Apparently they want to sign him and immediately loan him back to Ayr until end of the season.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Said it before, rated higher than Robertson and Armstrong when at QP.

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2018, 10:31 PM
Not being funny but who is Armstrong?

Hermit Crab
01-12-2018, 10:35 PM

Kamberi only has 21 goals in 80 appearances since 2015, not exactly setting the heather elite stuff is it.

Hermit Crab
01-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Stuart Armstrong?

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 10:46 PM

Why did Aberdeen let him go? Not being obtuse, as they like decent young talent....

Smartie
01-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Why did Aberdeen let him go? Not being obtuse, as they like decent young talent....

I think he's kicked on as a player and improved a lot at Ayr. Seemingly he's lost a bit of weight and is much fitter than he was at Aberdeen.

It sounds like he's done a Steven Dobbie (no, not rhyming slang) by dropping down a level, getting fit and playing regularly and being ready to rise a few levels again.

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 11:17 PM
I think he's kicked on as a player and improved a lot at Ayr. Seemingly he's lost a bit of weight and is much fitter than he was at Aberdeen.

It sounds like he's done a Steven Dobbie (no, not rhyming slang) by dropping down a level, getting fit and playing regularly and being ready to rise a few levels again.

Cheers, not taken much notice, just know he is scoring lots at moment. But concerns me a lot think he will be the saviour for us.

green day
01-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Kamberi only has 21 goals in 80 appearances since 2015, not exactly setting the heather elite stuff is it.

Alight. 👍

My_Wife_Camille
01-12-2018, 11:27 PM
Cheers, not taken much notice, just know he is scoring lots at moment. But concerns me a lot think he will be the saviour for us.
I don’t think anyone is saying anything of the sort, certainly not ‘a lot’.

This thread is full of people saying he’s worth a gamble though and with 26 goals already this season I don’t see how there can be any argument at all. 55 goals in his last 56 games is an unbelievable return.

I can see why people wouldn’t have been as fussed when he only scored 29 goals in League one last season but this year he’s moved up a level and he’s only 3 goals short of last seasons tally already and it’s not even Christmas.

26 goals by the end of November doesn’t look to me like someone that has ‘found their level’, it looks like someone playing well below it.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 11:28 PM

I meant another player I can’t mind the now I’ll get back tomorrow mate.

The 90+2
01-12-2018, 11:30 PM

Attitude at the time.

green day
01-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Pointless thread. He's on fire, he will go down south.

Aberdeen fans probably gutted he left, but that's life - he was pish when signed with them.
Everyone's an expert after the fact......

Baldy Foghorn
01-12-2018, 11:41 PM
Attitude at the time.

Cheers

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Pointless thread. He's on fire, he will go down south.

Aberdeen fans probably gutted he left, but that's life - he was pish when signed with them.
Everyone's an expert after the fact......

:confused:

This thread was not pointless when it started on 28/7/18 when the boy was fair game to anyone willing to put their hand in their pocket and take a punt.

Once again for HIBS four months and several goals later that ship has sailed

Agree might be time to close thread

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 09:22 AM

This thread was not pointless when it started on 28/7/18 when the boy was fair game to anyone willing to put their hand in their pocket and take a punt.

Wasn't that fair game when he allegedly knocked back a move to hearts, maybe wanted to bang in a few in that league and get a decent move down south rather than keep playing up here

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:24 AM

He was an hour or so away from signing for hearts so it could be worse.

The 90+2
02-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Wasn't that fair game when he allegedly knocked back a move to hearts, maybe wanted to bang in a few in that league and get a decent move down south rather than keep playing up here

He didn’t knock it back. Other way about. Their loss big time.

Heisenberg
02-12-2018, 09:46 AM
Looks like he’s signing for Swansea.

BILLYHIBS
02-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Yip! Heard that . Maybe he didn’t fancy being eighth in the queue for the number nine spot and had a good job as a personal trainer and combined with his Ayr wages was on a good number
We will never know if HIBS even spoke to him or even had him watched

Allant1981
02-12-2018, 10:21 AM
He didn’t knock it back. Other way about. Their loss big time.

Thought he had signed a new contract with Ayr when they were interested so in effect knocked them back, either way it turned out well for him I think

H18 SFR
21-06-2019, 08:45 PM
Still no news on where he's ended up.

SouthMoroccoStu
21-06-2019, 08:53 PM
Still no news on where he's ended up.

Bit of an enigma this guy

Couple of great seasons but ayr never really seem to have had to fight off or accept a bid for him

CraigHibee
21-06-2019, 08:55 PM
Sunderland have apparently offered him a contract

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-offer-scottish-hotshot-lawrence-16420959

H18 SFR
21-06-2019, 10:43 PM
Sunderland have apparently offered him a contract

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-offer-scottish-hotshot-lawrence-16420959

Reason I posted is because I read earlier that Sunderland had turned their attention to a Doncaster striker.

MWHIBBIES
21-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Sunderland not getting promoted with a signing like that.

Centre Hawf
22-06-2019, 07:04 AM
Sunderland not getting promoted with a signing like that.

Probably not but they really need to clear the deck and start again for financial purposes I think. If they can pinch a Shankland for nothing more than a minuscule wage (by their previous players standards) and he hits the ground running then its a stroke of genius. If not then they stick him back out on loan to someone like us or Hearts and look elsewhere.

Since452
22-06-2019, 07:28 AM
Probably not but they really need to clear the deck and start again for financial purposes I think. If they can pinch a Shankland for nothing more than a minuscule wage (by their previous players standards) and he hits the ground running then its a stroke of genius. If not then they stick him back out on loan to someone like us or Hearts and look elsewhere.

If he can't hack it in English League one the last thing we should be doing is getting him on loan.

Centre Hawf
22-06-2019, 07:36 AM
If he can't hack it in English League one the last thing we should be doing is getting him on loan.

Dylan McGeouch?

Eyrie
22-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Dylan McGeouch?

I like McGeouch but does he offer the balance we need in midfield when the other two starters will be Allan and Mallan? I'd say we need a more mobile and energetic player (and preferably two).

I'm not averse to his return but it would still leave us needing another starter.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2019, 09:04 AM
I like McGeouch but does he offer the balance we need in midfield when the other two starters will be Allan and Mallan? I'd say we need a more mobile and energetic player (and preferably two).

I'm not averse to his return but it would still leave us needing another starter.

He is an excellent defensive midfield and would be perfect for us.

Eyrie
22-06-2019, 09:05 AM

I'm not questioning his ability to read a game, I'm pointing out that a midfield of Allan, Mallan and McGeouch will lack pace and energy so we can rule out a high press.

Ozyhibby
22-06-2019, 09:07 AM
I'm not questioning his ability to read a game, I'm pointing out that a midfield of Allan, Mallan and McGeouch will lack pace and energy so we can rule out a high press.

Either way, we are going to need a defensive mid.

southsider
22-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Either way, we are going to need a defensive mid.

If Tom James comes in it may be Hechy may play him there.

jeffers
22-06-2019, 09:30 AM

I don't particulary want to get in another debate about McGeouch, but he's not a defensive midfielder.

04Sauzee
22-06-2019, 09:48 AM
I don't particulary want to get in another debate about McGeouch, but he's not a defensive midfielder.

Correct, if anything he's a deep lying playmaker, he's the kind of guy who will take the ball of the defenders and find the likes of Allan, Boyle etc further up the park

Centre Hawf
22-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Like yourself I don't want to get down a McGeouch debate on a Shankland thread. But my point was more that being a dud at a top League 1 club like Sunderland doesn't make you a bad player. There's a big difference in being a Sunderland wash-out than say a Cheltenham/Chesterfield failure.

Since452
22-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Dylan McGeouch?

At least he was proven in the Premiership. Shankland isn't.

BILLYHIBS
04-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Four goals yesterday for the Arabs against Caley in a 4-1 win!

PatHead
04-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Wonder why no premiership clubs went after him.

Since452
04-08-2019, 09:56 AM

Rumours Dundee United are paying wages similar to Aberdeen

hfc-1875
04-08-2019, 09:57 AM

When he signed for Utd I read somewhere that he was getting a deal that no one in the premier league could match outside the old firm.

BILLYHIBS
04-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Megginson scoring goals for fun for Cove Rangers

Another Sheep reject

Maybe League Two is a League too far

BoyledEgg
04-08-2019, 10:00 AM
When he signed for Utd I read somewhere that he was getting a deal that no one in the premier league could match outside the old firm.

He’s on £1800 a week.

BILLYHIBS
04-08-2019, 10:04 AM
He’s on £1800 a week.

Must be about the same if not less than us?

Not ITK

wookie70
04-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Strange no-one from the Premiership took a chance on him. He was banging in goals for a team that weren't great and seemed to have the ability to score from all sorts of positions. He had also improved his fitness and diet so signs he was going to kick on. Reminds me a bit of Leigh and very surprised and disappointed we never tried to get him.

CapitalGreen
04-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Must be about the same if not less than us?

Not ITK

Considerably more than our current 3rd choice striker.

Centre Hawf
04-08-2019, 10:08 AM
I think it's a fantastic signing for them given his proven record in that division. We know ourselves how important it is to have someone you can just cross your fingers and look to them to bail you out of the tough and turgid games in the Championship you sometimes get and they've not had that since they got into the Championship. If he stays injury free then I think they'll walk the division.

BoyledEgg
04-08-2019, 10:10 AM
Not sure what Hibs pay, would imagine most of the squad would be on roughly the same? He likes the bevvy so that’s maybe why a bigger club didn’t take a punt on him.

Eyrie
04-08-2019, 10:14 AM
Considerably more than our current 3rd choice striker.

I think a fairer comparison would be to Doidge's wage as I don't think we'd have signed both.

Can't compare their goal scoring as they are facing very different standards of defenders.

CMurdoch
04-08-2019, 10:26 AM
Dundee United and their american owners are desperate to get promoted this season.
I suspect Shankland will be on a deal where he gets a big bonus payment and wage step up if Dundee United get back up to the proper league.

#2 Double Tap
04-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Strange no-one from the Premiership took a chance on him. He was banging in goals for a team that weren't great and seemed to have the ability to score from all sorts of positions. He had also improved his fitness and diet so signs he was going to kick on. Reminds me a bit of Leigh and very surprised and disappointed we never tried to get him.

I spoke about this a couple weeks ago, got me thinking there must be something more to it, maybe the guy has an attitude problem or an unhealthy obsession/addiction or the like,. Guess we will never know why it was only DU that seemed to offer him a deal, looks like a missed opportunity!

neil7908
04-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Think we missed a trick given he was available for nothing. Would definitely have been worth a punt.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-08-2019, 11:24 AM
We done the same thing with griffiths before dundee took him...

weecounty hibby
04-08-2019, 04:58 PM
Scored all of his goals at a lower level than our top division. He was poor at Aberdeen. Div1 is maybe his level and he will score goals there but struggle in premiership. But like Dobbie perhaps or for older folk, John Brogan. Scored goals for fun at St Johnston and Stirling Albion in lower divisions I think, we signed him and he was hopeless

MWHIBBIES
04-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Scored all of his goals at a lower level than our top division. He was poor at Aberdeen. Div1 is maybe his level and he will score goals there but struggle in premiership. But like Dobbie perhaps or for older folk, John Brogan. Scored goals for fun at St Johnston and Stirling Albion in lower divisions I think, we signed him and he was hopeless

Dobbie has been massively successful down in England as well. Scoring 30 goals in the championship is probably 10/15 in this league which is a good return.

Del Boy
04-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Watched his goals from yesterday, he’s clinical, great movement and brilliant in the air. Will be playing at a higher level this time next season either with United or someone else.

ancient hibee
04-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Think St Johnstone were in the top league at the time we signed Brogan.Hibs had been after him for years and had a massive offer rejected.When he came Turnbull hardly ever played him,one of his dafter decisions at a time he was making a few.With Dobbie I felt we should have signed him before he came back to Queens and should have got him when Cummings left(a player he outscored in the Championship).

random sub
04-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Yep, mysterious why we or another premier league club didn’t go for him. We need another striker for the season ahead.

Bobby Moore
04-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Think St Johnstone were in the top league at the time we signed Brogan.Hibs had been after him for years and had a massive offer rejected.When he came Turnbull hardly ever played him,one of his dafter decisions at a time he was making a few.With Dobbie I felt we should have signed him before he came back to Queens and should have got him when Cummings left(a player he outscored in the Championship).

Hibs did indeed try hard to get John Brogan when he he was in his prime at Saint Johnstone but did not actually get him until we’ll after Eddie Turnbull’s time. Eddie’s reign a manager ended in 1980 when relegation had been confirmed. John Brogan, by then something of veteran did not sign until 1984 under the managership of I think, Pat Stanton, John played less than 6 games for Hibs And scored 1 goal in his brief spell at the club. When he was at his peak Saint Johnstone demanded a huge fee by the standards of the time and it was out with our reach but John Brogan was never at Hibs under Eddie Turnbull.

ancient hibee
04-08-2019, 07:20 PM
The
Hibs did indeed try hard to get John Brogan when he he was in his prime at Saint Johnstone but did not actually get him until we’ll after Eddie Turnbull’s time. Eddie’s reign a manager ended in 1980 when relegation had been confirmed. John Brogan, by then something of veteran did not sign until 1984 under the managership of I think, Pat Stanton, John played less than 6 games for Hibs And scored 1 goal in his brief spell at the club. When he was at his peak Saint Johnstone demanded a huge fee by the standards of the time and it was out with our reach but John Brogan was never at Hibs under Eddie Turnbull.

Old age.A terrible affliction.

Bobby Moore
04-08-2019, 07:45 PM
The

Old age.A terrible affliction.

Not an affliction at all mate, I only know about the John Brogan story as Eddie was an acquaintance of of mine at one time (after his time in the game) He mentioned that if we had managed to get Brogan, and there were a few others of a similar kind, the decline leading up to relegation may not have been so rapid or steep. The transfer system was different at that time (maybe before freedom of contract?) and selling clubs held the aces when holding out for bigger fees from English clubs and we couldn’t meet the asking prices. Although ironically, in Brogans case no such offer came in and the one from Hibs was the highest Saints got and by our standards it was fairly substantial.

Hermit Crab
04-08-2019, 07:47 PM
He’s on £1800 a week.

No offence but how do you know that?

Paying single player that much might damage the moral of the rest of the squad who imo won't be on anything near £1800 a week at Utd.

The 90+2
04-08-2019, 07:55 PM
He will earn Utd a million go down south and be worth £5m next year and everyone will be kicking themselves.

The 90+2
04-08-2019, 07:57 PM
No offence but how do you know that?

Paying single player that much might damage the moral of the rest of the squad who imo won't be on anything near £1800 a week at Utd.

If they win every week it won’t damage anything when they collect their win bonus.

Del Boy
04-08-2019, 08:11 PM
Every team will have someone earning more than everyone else in the squad. If they’re contributing like Shankland I don’t think anyone will complain.

HoboHarry
04-08-2019, 09:37 PM
He’s on £1800 a week.
Seen his pay check have you?

neil7908
04-08-2019, 10:08 PM
He will earn Utd a million go down south and be worth £5m next year and everyone will be kicking themselves.

Agree with the first part. Not sure about the £5m bit as it's a big step up to the English Championship but think we've missed a great opportunity here.

I'm Spartacus
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM
I'm happy to wait and see how he does in the Premier League then we can start the "What if's", how many players knock then in for fun in other leagues but then can't step up to the Premier, Keatings being a decent example, although Shankland does seem a cut above my example.

Del Boy
04-08-2019, 11:09 PM
I'm happy to wait and see how he does in the Premier League then we can start the "What if's", how many players knock then in for fun in other leagues but then can't step up to the Premier, Keatings being a decent example, although Shankland does seem a cut above my example.

It’s fair enough to say that he hasn’t done it at a level higher than the championship but the general consensus is that he’s put in a power of work to get himself in decent shape since he left Aberdeen and that has paid off. It’s similar to what Dobbie did around the same age. If he was to play premier league now I’m confident he’d score plenty.

Springbank
04-08-2019, 11:31 PM
It’s fair enough to say that he hasn’t done it at a level higher than the championship but the general consensus is that he’s put in a power of work to get himself in decent shape since he left Aberdeen and that has paid off. It’s similar to what Dobbie did around the same age. If he was to play premier league now I’m confident he’d score plenty.

He scored at Tynecastle from open play this season.

Let's hope our first choice, second choice and third choice strikers can do that, eh?

FilipinoHibs
05-08-2019, 01:35 AM
I spoke about this a couple weeks ago, got me thinking there must be something more to it, maybe the guy has an attitude problem or an unhealthy obsession/addiction or the like,. Guess we will never know why it was only DU that seemed to offer him a deal, looks like a missed opportunity!

Big time Charlie attitude from Don's days and bevy issues.

HoboHarry
05-08-2019, 02:04 AM
Loads of whining on other threads about buying lower league players from England and here we are at 14 pages about a lower league player in Scotland..... :faf:

Borderhibbie76
05-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Loads of whining on other threads about buying lower league players from England and here we are at 14 pages about a lower league player in Scotland..... :faf:Hibs.net for you mate??

Not happy with us signing a Lower league English striker but why didn't we sign a Lower league Scottish striker??

Mind boggling on here sometimes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Callum_62
05-08-2019, 06:36 AM
Hibs.net for you mate??

Not happy with us signing a Lower league English striker but why didn't we sign a Lower league Scottish striker??

Mind boggling on here sometimes

Sent from my SM-G950F using TapatalkMind the stats of the "lower league" Scottish striker are pretty impressive

Comparing to Doidge is tricky ofcourse but 4th tier England probably isn't any different 2nd tier Scotland

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2019, 07:03 AM
Mind the stats of the "lower league" Scottish striker are pretty impressive

Comparing to Doidge is tricky ofcourse but 4th tier England probably isn't any different 2nd tier Scotland

Shankland 50 from 61 Ayr United

Doidge 59 from 108 Forest Green

4 goals versus ICT and I remember another 4 versus the Arabs that included a perfect hatrick mightily impressive

Doidge will be given every chance and I am sure he will come good as he works hard and adopts good positions

When he scored that header from the corner versus Carlisle I asked myself when was the last time a HIBS centre forward did that?

Callum_62
05-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Shankland 50 from 61 Ayr United

Doidge 59 from 108 Forest Green

4 goals versus ICT and I remember another 4 versus the Arabs that included a perfect hatrick mightily impressive

Doidge will be given every chance and I am sure he will come good as he works hard and adopts good positions

When he scored that header from the corner versus Carlisle I asked myself when was the last time a HIBS centre forward did that?Don't misunderstand what I mean - I actually quite like the look of doidge form what I've seeen

Understand why folk are wondering why Shankland stayed in a league he's obviously far too good for

BILLYHIBS
05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Don't misunderstand what I mean - I actually quite like the look of doidge form what I've seeen

Understand why folk are wondering why Shankland stayed in a league he's obviously far too good for

Strange one wonder if we were ever in for him?

Over and done with now

We move on

Onwards and upwards

BILLYHIBS
24-08-2019, 07:08 PM
Another double today!

Steakpieharry
24-08-2019, 07:11 PM
Good enough player but that's his level

Crab apple
24-08-2019, 07:24 PM
Good enough player but that's his level

You may well be right. I think it’s also fair to question who got the better deal when we spent 350k on Doidge.

One Day In Time
24-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Shanklands a very interesting case. You do have to wonder if any of the bigger clubs here were interested.

Read he was wanted by Sunderland but turned them down as he wanted to play regularly

Quite strange given that we all feel most modern day players are only interested in their pay cheque

Iggy Pope
24-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Strange one wonder if we were ever in for him?

Over and done with now

We move on

Onwards and upwards

Another double today!

Not quite ready to move on then after all . Why regurgitate this?

Rumble de Thump
24-08-2019, 10:25 PM
You may well be right. I think it’s also fair to question who got the better deal when we spent 350k on Doidge.

350k, aye?

BILLYHIBS
24-08-2019, 10:45 PM
Not quite ready to move on then after all . Why regurgitate this?

Just commenting on another double from Lawrence Shankland

Over and done with I agree but just wondering how Shankland would have handled the opportunities presented to our forwards to date from our midfield

Flo In fairness is flying and getting close to his best but I am convinced he would have more than doubled the return from Doidge

Not a lot we can do about it now and it is only week3

Onwards and upwards

Crab apple
25-08-2019, 07:05 AM
350k, aye?

That’s the figure that’s been widely quoted. You know different?

murray26
25-08-2019, 07:17 AM
We should have signed him..

He’ll move on to bigger and better things .. great signing for UTD goals win games and get you promoted they will canter the league this year mainly down to Shanklands goals.

BILLYHIBS
25-08-2019, 07:20 AM
We should have signed him..

He’ll move on to bigger and better things .. great signing for UTD goals win games and get you promoted they will canter the league this year mainly down to Shanklands goals.

Just watched the highlights missed a pen to seal a hatrick :confused:

That ship has sailed methinks

Will be interesting at the top of the Championship with Dundee signing Kane Hemmings

MSK
25-08-2019, 07:22 AM
That’s the figure that’s been widely quoted. You know different?No-one knows the figure, its just the usual .net fact that is trotted out so it can be used to bash Doidge or compare him with another lower league striker who cost peanuts and is scoring goals 👍

murray26
25-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Just watched the highlights missed a pen to seal a hatrick :confused:

That ship has sailed methinks

Will be interesting at the top of the Championship with Dundee signing Kane Hemmings

Frustratingly so.. chances like that don’t come around a lot but we’ll done UTD I do believe he’ll be the difference this season..

Ozyhibby
28-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Another couple of goals today. [emoji35] Our recruitment is howling just now.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 02:30 PM

Yeah. Liverpool won again too. Can't believe we didn't get Andy Robertson. Disgraceful really.

Allant1981
28-09-2019, 02:37 PM

Is there really a need, there are thousands of players out there scoring at a lower level each week, doesnt mean we should be signing all of them, there is a reason no one except a championship team in scotland took him on

Ozyhibby
28-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Is there really a need, there are thousands of players out there scoring at a lower level each week, doesnt mean we should be signing all of them, there is a reason no one except a championship team in scotland took him on

What is it?

heretoday
28-09-2019, 02:38 PM
To get goals, someone has to create them for him.
We don't do that much.

sambajustice
28-09-2019, 03:11 PM

This is my thinking. There must be some pretty big baggage. I don't know anything though, wild speculation!

Allant1981
28-09-2019, 03:13 PM
What is it?

Absolutely no idea

Col2
28-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Hat trick

jakedance
28-09-2019, 03:20 PM
I think that’s 13 goals in seven games this season. 34 goals last year. 26 the year before. I don’t care how much of a bam he might be, we should have been in for him.

green day
28-09-2019, 03:23 PM
I think that’s 13 goals in seven games this season. 34 goals last year. 26 the year before. I don’t care how much of a bam he might be, we should have been in for him.

I imagine this very statement is being made on every fans forum outside Rangers and Celtic.

Still dont know why anyone didnt go for it :confused:

Hibee Mac
28-09-2019, 03:27 PM
I imagine this very statement is being made on every fans forum outside Rangers and Celtic.

Still dont know why anyone didnt go for it :confused:

Well by all accounts he being paid crazy money by Dundee It's which will no doubt have been far more than any other top league team taking a punt

heretoday
28-09-2019, 03:38 PM
He's not a patch on the Dobster.
Younger I suppose.

Ozyhibby
28-09-2019, 03:46 PM
Instead of signing him we decided to go with just three strikers, one of which wants away on loan. And we’re not scoring goals. Mental.

Spike Mandela
28-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Wish we had taken a chance on Shankland. Well done Dundee Utd for picking him up, wonder what he would be like in the Premiership? Time will tell, even if Utd don’t get promoted I think he will be in Premiership next year.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Instead of signing him we decided to go with just three strikers, one of which wants away on loan. And we’re not scoring goals. Mental.

Why do we need more than 3 strikers?

WeeRussell
28-09-2019, 05:09 PM
Shankland is terrific. Better player than Cummings who was brilliant for us in the championship.

He won’t be playing in that league next season. And he’d be a top striker for anyone outside the old firm... kidding ourselves pretending otherwise.

Albeit he wouldn’t be getting the service at us right now.

MWHIBBIES
28-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Shankland is terrific. Better player than Cummings who was brilliant for us in the championship.

He won’t be playing in that league next season. And he’d be a top striker for anyone outside the old firm... kidding ourselves pretending otherwise.

Albeit he wouldn’t be getting the service at us right now.

Mainly because we don't play in a pub league like United

Carheenlea
28-09-2019, 05:14 PM
The fact he couldn’t attract premier league suitors suggests there must be a reason for clubs not to do so. What was putting them off, particularly if he was a free agent?

WeeRussell
28-09-2019, 05:16 PM
Mainly because we don't play in a pub league like United

Aye very good. It’s mainly because they’re a no bad side with a brilliant front man.

I’ll wait until we can hold our own and beat teams in this league before I start looking down my nose at any clubs in the championship.

BILLYHIBS
28-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Shankland was looking for big wages and Dundee United were the only ones to pony up pay the asking price and take a chance

Fair play to them

Source: Ian McCall

weecounty hibby
28-09-2019, 05:19 PM
He was pish in the premier League at Aberdeen. 17 appearances and zero goals in four years. Also was pretty average for St Mirren and Morton. Something like 60 games and about ten goals. Was on fire at Ayr and Utd but I also saw some games where he was rank last season. Who knows what he would be like but the rumoured £4k pet week would have been a huge gamble for us and Utd are desperate to get back up and he's proven over the last two seasons that he scores goals at that kevel

sauzee=legend
He is on mega money at Dundee United (for Scottish football standard anyway).
If they don’t get up this season - he will 100% be sold and they will be screwed.

Since452
He's on 4.5k per week plus bonuses at United. Big wages for Hibs to pay for a punt

Jim44
28-09-2019, 05:31 PM
The fact he couldn’t attract premier league suitors suggests there must be a reason for clubs not to do so. What was putting them off, particularly if he was a free agent?

Lots of rumours about Shankland but he’s doing the business for DU., so they won’t give a toss about his ‘other side’.

jakedance
28-09-2019, 05:38 PM
He was pish in the premier League at Aberdeen. 17 appearances and zero goals in four years. Also was pretty average for St Mirren and Morton. Something like 60 games and about ten goals. Was on fire at Ayr and Utd but I also saw some games where he was rank last season. Who knows what he would be like but the rumoured £4k pet week would have been a huge gamble for us and Utd are desperate to get back up and he's proven over the last two seasons that he scores goals at that kevel

He’s only just turned 24 so not sure how much his appearances at Aberdeen when he was under 20 can be counted against him. I’d take someone with some rank appearances if they bang in 30+ goals in the same season.

wallpaperman
28-09-2019, 05:49 PM
He's on 4.5k per week plus bonuses at United. Big wages for Hibs to pay for a punt

I would take that claim with a huge pinch of salt. I can’t believe United would be paying him or anyone else that sort of money.

Brightside
28-09-2019, 05:52 PM
It’s the creation of chances that we have a problem with. Doidge and Kamberi will score plenty of given options.

Hibee Mac
28-09-2019, 08:00 PM
I would take that claim with a huge pinch of salt. I can’t believe United would be paying him or anyone else that sort of money.

You'd be surprised, both Utd and Dundee are taking big gambles to get out because it's suicide for a club to stay down there for a prolonged period of time.

Go big or go home as they say

brianmc
28-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Lots of rumours about Shankland but he’s doing the business for DU., so they won’t give a toss about his ‘other side’.

Might get an international call up soon.... Possibly for Columbia?

wallpaperman
28-09-2019, 10:10 PM
You'd be surprised, both Utd and Dundee are taking big gambles to get out because it's suicide for a club to stay down there for a prolonged period of time.

Go big or go home as they say

Nah, not buying it.

United’s turnover for the year to June 2018 was a touch over £3
Million, would expect to be similar now.

If Shankland is on ‘£4.5 k plus bonuses’ per week,
you’re talking in the region of £300k for the year, so Shankland’s salary would account for roughly 10% of their turnover?

One player taking up 10% of their income, that would be the equivalent of Hibs paying a player about £1 million a year or £20k a week.

Unless Lawrence comes on and posts a picture of his payslip, i’m hugely sceptical.

Del Boy
28-09-2019, 10:52 PM
Whatever they’re paying him he’s certainly earning it. 13 goals in the league and we’re only in September. FWIW I think he’d easily score in the premier league too.

macca70
29-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Nah, not buying it.

you’re talking in the region of £300k for the year, so Shankland’s salary would account for roughly 10% of their turnover?

One player taking up 10% of their income, that would be the equivalent of Hibs paying a player about £1 million a year or £20k a week.

Unless Lawrence comes on and posts a picture of his payslip, i’m hugely sceptical.

He will not be on 4.5k but will be on deck cash, his and hearts couldn’t compete

southsider
29-09-2019, 06:35 AM
He will not be on 4.5k but will be on deck cash, his and hearts couldn’t compete

I mind talking to Alan Anderson in his pub about Joe McBride ‘ that fat f@@k all he does is score goals’ Perfect. Shoot mag hailed The Prince of Goalscorers’.

Heisenberg
29-09-2019, 06:41 AM
Meh. He’s performing in the Scottish Championship. Jason Cummings used to score for fun in that league too but has failed at higher levels since. Will be interesting to see how he gets on when he moves. There’s clearly a reason no bigger team took him on in the summer.

Ozyhibby
29-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Meh. He’s performing in the Scottish Championship. Jason Cummings used to score for fun in that league too but has failed at higher levels since. Will be interesting to see how he gets on when he moves. There’s clearly a reason no bigger team took him on in the summer.

Maybe the reason is incompetence?
Cummings scored less goals than shankland and shankland played for clubs with a lot less resources than we had. Who knows how well Shankland would get on if he had Scott Allan, John McGinn and Dylan McGeough begins him.

Diclonius
29-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Might get an international call up soon.... Possibly for Columbia?

I thought it was something to do with him being a really big Rangers fan.

WeeRussell
29-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Maybe the reason is incompetence?
Cummings scored less goals than shankland and shankland played for clubs with a lot less resources than we had. Who knows how well Shankland would get on if he had Scott Allan, John McGinn and Dylan McGeough begins him.

I was saying the same thing yesterday. Shankland’s movement really is impressive and offers more than what Cummings did (I was a big Jason fan too). I always thought with Cummings it was harder to see why he was so effective, whereas with Shankland his talent is obvious and scores every type of goal regularly.

I’m not saying it’s ridiculous we never signed him. Just can’t knock the guy the way he’s performing just now.

Paisley Hibby
29-09-2019, 09:17 AM

Exactly. Something not quite right.

Montford
29-09-2019, 10:17 AM
Nah, not buying it.

It’s a calculated gamble. If United are top throughout the season they’ll increase their average gate by at least 1500.
They’re already 2000+ up on last season
That would pay Shanklands wages and put £400,000 in the bank
Seems to be working a treat already
Speculate to accumulate
Their American owner seems to have a certain nous about him

Montford
29-09-2019, 10:22 AM
FWIW having watched Shanklands goals, his movement, anticipation, creation of space and his clinical finishing this boys got a lot to offer. I don’t remember any Hibs, Hearts or Rangers players having such good record with 6 seasons between them in the Championship
Indeed I’ll wager Shankland has outscored them every season

Leith Green
29-09-2019, 10:48 AM
It’s the creation of chances that we have a problem with. Doidge and Kamberi will score plenty of given options.

Exactly this ... Our problem is that our only striker is isolated so he would have to win the initial header , win the second ball , then still have work to do to score. I cant help but think of Hibs under Fenlon with james collins up on his own as a comparison.