PDA

View Full Version : Win or lose next week, this European stuff is a blast

Hibbyradge
28-07-2018, 12:36 AM
Good times, great memories.

Last night's game was brilliant. I said that to my mates in the second half and we were still 0-2 down.

Those of us who will make the trip next week will have a ball, even if we get humped.

Last time I was abroad with Hibs was Maribor and it was magic. We kept Riordan and O'Connor on the bench and we lost 3-0, but we still had a good time.

Even the torrential rain that night didn't spoil the trip.

I might have enjoyed it even more than the Videoton game and we won that game 3-0.

For the club, this year's exploits have been a huge success. 3 wins out of 3, 15 goals scored and the gate money and prize money means that our income will have increased by the best part of £1m already!

Even after the cost of travel to the Faroes and Greece is deducted, we've made a healthy profit.

And, my half time pie last night was the best I've ever had at Easter Road. Perfect pastry, plenty steak and hot throughout.

Who doesn't love the Europa Cup? :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
28-07-2018, 01:06 AM
Think it was stokesy rather than O'Connor that was left on the bench in Maribor.

Regardless, I'm in total agreement. Without steering this thread onto the signings debate, I'm really hopeful that our recruitment policy will see these nights become much more frequent.

I'm absolutely gutted I can't make Greece, hope all Hibees have a great time, stay safe and we get through!

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2018, 08:50 AM

Last night's game was brilliant. I said that to my mates in the second half and we were still 0-2 down.

Those of us who will make the trip next week will have a ball, even if we get humped.

Last time I was abroad with Hibs was Maribor and it was magic. We kept Riordan and O'Connor on the bench and we lost 3-0, but we still had a good time.

I might have enjoyed it even more than the Videoton game and we won that game 3-0.

For the club, this year's exploits have been a huge success. 3 wins out of 3, 15 goals scored and the gate money and prize money means that our income will have increased by the best part of £1m already!

Even after the cost of travel to the Faroes and Greece is deducted, we've made a healthy profit.

And, my half time pie last night was the best I've ever had at Easter Road. Perfect party, plenty steak and hot throughout.

Exactly Dave, as i have said a hundred times, these are the good times, enjoy them rather than wallow in misery of what might happen, enjoy what IS happening.

These times are few and far between, trust those who are finally trying their best to put this club on an even keel, and are forward planning for more times like this, not boom and bust like we've done so many times before.

GreenCastle
28-07-2018, 08:56 AM
Good post.

The key is Hibs should be doing this every season.

Building each year and with some luck managing a draw that’s allows us to get to the group stages.

It’s not just the experience but the exposure the club gets with these games - another completely different dimension in the press and around Europe.

Chic Murray
28-07-2018, 09:13 AM
I could get used to this. Got to Persevere and ensure that now, or in the near future, we are competing in the group stages.

If you set goals, you usually achieve them.

Hibbyradge
28-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Exactly Dave, as i have said a hundred times, these are the good times, enjoy them rather than wallow in misery of what might happen, enjoy what IS happening.

These times are few and far between, trust those who are finally trying their best to put this club on an even keel, and are forward planning for more times like this, not boom and bust like we've done so many times before.

And there's the possibility of an added bonus in the form of a match ball. :wink:

I hope you've been keeping up the gym work and are slim and lithe cos there's not much room under my t-shirts these days! :greengrin

Austinho
28-07-2018, 11:39 AM
The Brondby trip was my favourite ever football experience, and that includes going to Hampden for the Cup Final, the parade in Edinburgh, and going to Trafalgar Square and Wembley with Scotland.

More please!

blackpoolhibs
28-07-2018, 11:42 AM
And there's the possibility of an added bonus in the form of a match ball. :wink:

I hope you've been keeping up the gym work and are slim and lithe cos there's not much room under my t-shirts these days! :greengrin

Haha, i wish. No exercise equals fat slob these days, the gym is a distant past. :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
28-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Love a European jaunt

Jack Hackett
28-07-2018, 12:06 PM
The only competitive European game outside the UK I've done away was Sporting Lisbon. It was my first trip abroad and it was magic.

The group stages begin on Sept 20th. I know it's a long shot, but I have 6 days of hols left and I'm saving them... just in case. Flights should be cheaper by then, and I might even be able to get to a couple. Fingers crossed :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
28-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Yeah it has been a great experience so far...just hope it continues for a wee while longer than Thursday. If not so be it the main priority is we get here again at the end of this season and so on

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bob Box Fish
28-07-2018, 01:36 PM
It’s been great I’ve been a bit suprised with the lower crowds but it’s most likely due to the holiday season. I think if we had the team that finished last season we would be in the next round already.

Iggy Pope
28-07-2018, 07:14 PM
Haha, i wish. No exercise equals fat slob these days, the gym is a distant past. :greengrin

Getting round that match ball at least meant a Hibby had got a touch of it that night.
:greengrin

Iggy Pope
28-07-2018, 07:15 PM

There never was. You congregating in Athens?

SideBurns
28-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Hope all the Hibbies going to Greece have a brilliant time, regardless of the result. Have been lucky enough to see Hibs in Liege, Brussels and Copenhagen - every trip different but always fantastic.

jacomo
28-07-2018, 08:06 PM

And, my half time pie last night was the best I've ever had at Easter Road. Perfect pastry, plenty steak and hot throughout.

:agree:

Just got to enjoy the ride.

Hibs want regular European adventures so let’s all get on board.

Jamesie
28-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Fortunate enough for this to be my fourth European trip with Hibs:

- the first, in 2001, was cancelled due to 9/11, but we still had a good laugh on the island of Aegina for a week: as a poor student at the time funds didn’t permit going back a week later!
- the second, in 2005, is better best forgotten for the result we ended up with against Dnipro, but the week before the match I had spent travelling around the Ukraine - Kiev, Odessa, Simferopol, Sevastopol, Yalta and did a phone in on Radio Scotland from a Crimean bus! - before heading to Dnipro to meet up with my mates and have a couple of nights in Kiev on the way back. Best trip of the lot I would say.
- the third, in 2008, was against Elfsborg - a night out in Norkopping on the way out was good fun and the trip was essentially free after we took Mixu’s advice that we didn’t stand a change in the home leg (notwithstanding the bookies having us a favourites) and invested heavily in the away win.

Hoping that this Thursday is the most memorable of the lot!

IberianHibernian
28-07-2018, 09:18 PM
The only competitive European game outside the UK I've done away was Sporting Lisbon. It was my first trip abroad and it was magic.

The group stages begin on Sept 20th. I know it's a long shot, but I have 6 days of hols left and I'm saving them... just in case. Flights should be cheaper by then, and I might even be able to get to a couple. Fingers crossed :greengrinDidn`t realise we had any fans in Lisbon other than maybe relatives of players and officials . None in Besa in following round and not many if any in Split in QF . In rest of 70s probably tiny supports except for trips to England and France . Not many games in 80s but numbers will have grown a lot especially with Belgium trips . Far more flights and relatively much cheaper than in 70s or 80s ( though not as many ferries - Newcastle to Scandinavian ports were an option then ) but playing so many rounds in successive weeks must make it virtually impossible for any fan to go to every match . If we get through on Thursday , a global interrail pass ( now available for over 26s too ) might be worth considering for 3rd round and possible play off .

hibby6270
28-07-2018, 10:28 PM

The group stages begin on Sept 20th. I know it's a long shot, but I have 6 days of hols left and I'm saving them... just in case. Flights should be cheaper by then, and I might even be able to get to a couple. Fingers crossed :greengrin

I’d have been to Lisbon if only I’d WON the Evening News contest they ran for that tie. Winner got a prepaid trip and tickets for the 1st leg. Instead I won 2nd prize - 2 Centre Stand tickets for the home leg at ER. Sitting in the Centre Stand was a big deal back in the 70s. A great night and even if I hadn’t won those tickets, would still have been in my usual spot othe old upper East terracing.

Many home European games have come and gone since but as yet never managed to get to an away tie. I turn 60 in September, so maybe a group stage away game might be the order of the day to celebrate.:agree::wink::greengrin

Andy Bee
28-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Currently sitting in my hotels rooftop beer garden admiring a stunning view of the Acropolis, it's absolutely sweltering here. I could get into this European fitbaw malarkey.

sixtwo
29-07-2018, 08:46 AM
I am buzzing like a toy for this trip.
We are going there with a lead and the knowledge we are the better side.
Im looking forward to the morning session in athens, followed by the afternoon shennanigans in Tripoli!! :thumbsup:

FilipinoHibs
29-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Didn`t realise we had any fans in Lisbon other than maybe relatives of players and officials . None in Besa in following round and not many if any in Split in QF . In rest of 70s probably tiny supports except for trips to England and France . Not many games in 80s but numbers will have grown a lot especially with Belgium trips . Far more flights and relatively much cheaper than in 70s or 80s ( though not as many ferries - Newcastle to Scandinavian ports were an option then ) but playing so many rounds in successive weeks must make it virtually impossible for any fan to go to every match . If we get through on Thursday , a global interrail pass ( now available for over 26s too ) might be worth considering for 3rd round and possible play off .

My mother's family ars from Lisboa and are Benfica. They went and supported Hibs that night. Sporting then the team of the dictatorship.

Jack Hackett
29-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Didn`t realise we had any fans in Lisbon other than maybe relatives of players and officials . None in Besa in following round and not many if any in Split in QF . In rest of 70s probably tiny supports except for trips to England and France . Not many games in 80s but numbers will have grown a lot especially with Belgium trips . Far more flights and relatively much cheaper than in 70s or 80s ( though not as many ferries - Newcastle to Scandinavian ports were an option then ) but playing so many rounds in successive weeks must make it virtually impossible for any fan to go to every match . If we get through on Thursday , a global interrail pass ( now available for over 26s too ) might be worth considering for 3rd round and possible play off .

There weren't a huge amount of fans at the game, basically the extra seats on Hibs charter flight. A couple of bus loads iirc

Hibernian32
29-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Spot on! This was my sons first European game and what a cracker he is exactly the same age when my dad took me to ER when we played AEK Athens. Keep the memories rolling hibs:flag:

blackpoolhibs
29-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Getting round that match ball at least meant a Hibby had got a touch of it that night.

Very true Iggy. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
29-07-2018, 10:33 AM

No. A night in Zante either side of a stay in Tripoli.

Iggy Pope
31-07-2018, 12:39 PM
No. A night in Zante either side of a stay in Tripoli.

I'll find you in the square then :greengrin

Hibbyradge
31-07-2018, 12:46 PM

I'll find you in the square then :greengrin

How will I recognise you? :coolhib: