PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Asteris Team

Keith_M
27-07-2018, 01:28 PM
I thought a lot of their players were very athletic, technically gifted and I liked the way they could quickly ping the ball between them, with their team mates instinctively knowing which position to be in to receive the pass.

but... and this is a BIG but...

They aren't half a bunch of sneaky, moaning face, diving, whingeing cheating con artists. If they're typical of Greek Football, then am I glad I don't have to watch it every week.

They were so bad at times I actually thought we were playing Hearts.

Diclonius
27-07-2018, 01:31 PM
It was good fun when we scored the winner and for about 60 seconds all of a sudden they were moving the ball with urgency. Time wasting from the minute they went 1-0 up.

jonny
27-07-2018, 01:36 PM
They are technically good, every player looked to be a neat footballer. Their theatrics weren't the worst I've seen but definitely worse than we're accustomed to over here.
They have a couple of players with pace (particularly the left back) and break quickly with accurate passing. Their forward didn't seem to cause too many problems for the defence and was well marshalled.
They played a high pressing game regularly trying to close down the Hibs defenders when in possession.
They are weak at defending set pieces and aren't up to full fitness as they tired badly towards the end, the high pressing wore off as the game went on.

makaveli1875
27-07-2018, 01:36 PM
They looked decent on the ball , strong , physical and althletic . Like us they were a bit shaky at the back . I wouldnt like to play them when their fully match fit .. think they'd be tough to beat. A few players caught the eye , the boy that got sent off looked good :greengrin Their goal scorer looked a threat .

Think we will get a different game over there though , im sure Lennon will be preparing for that .

easty
27-07-2018, 01:37 PM
I thought their captain was a good player. How he managed to go 90 mins without being booked I've no idea, though.

Hibee Ryan
27-07-2018, 01:38 PM
They were a bit slow and cumbersome at the back every single time they faced their own goals they didn't like it at all. Was begging Boyle to make way more runs in behind than he did. Looked comfortable with the game in front of them mind you.

But if Boyle, who t be fair to him isn't a natural striker, keeps on making runs in behind in the second leg I feel we can comfortably score 1 or 2. Fancy us after watching the first leg.

Stevie Reid
27-07-2018, 01:47 PM
What concerned me was after we went 2-2 and before they got a man sent off, they really stepped things up again, passing through us and getting in behind us a few times.

If they go for it next week, I think we're in for a really tough night. Need another heroic performance like in Brondby - albeit, we thankfully don't have to win this time.

SteveHFC
27-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Can see them scoring next week for sure. Hopefully we can grab a few goals over there ourselves.

Scooter
27-07-2018, 01:58 PM
I didn't think they where anything special. 2 goals from errors and we could have had at least 6

H18 SFR
27-07-2018, 02:00 PM
It was good fun when we scored the winner and for about 60 seconds all of a sudden they were moving the ball with urgency. Time wasting from the minute they went 1-0 up.

This is actually a very good point, I'm presuming they will play that style next week at home. We need to be very, very careful.

cleanyman
27-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Celtic would pump them. Aberdeen would beat them as would Rangers.

Finished 4th in the Greek League and that's where they would finish in Scotland...maybe even 5th. If we could finish and had a decent goalie last night would have been a pumping

Billychaotic182
27-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Their number 17 was skillfull and technically very good, but he was a massive sh*tebag!

Their number 4 was on the deck after any bit of contact, was frustrating as every corner almost ended with him on the deck and the ref giving a free kick.

bod
27-07-2018, 02:12 PM
I thought a lot of their players were very athletic, technically gifted and I liked the way they could quickly ping the ball between them, with their team mates instinctively knowing which position to be in to receive the pass.

They aren't half a bunch of sneaky, moaning face, diving, whingeing cheating con artists. If they're typical of Greek Football, then am I glad I don't have to watch it every week.

I thought they were a decent team

but .. & its not a big but just a normal one

I hope they play like we did in the 1st half & we can capitalise

Vini1875
27-07-2018, 02:13 PM
They are a decent team no doubt, but I think they played a pressing game to get at our uncomfortable defence. We set up poorly in the first half and made them look better. I think both teams are better going forward and less clever at the back. Hopefully we go with Stevenson, McGregor, Ambrose, Hanlon and Gray to shore any defensive gaps. We are capable of getting two on the night, but I think it will be a nail biter.

I thought 17 was a very decent player and stood out for me.

WeeRussell
27-07-2018, 02:23 PM
They are technically good, every player looked to be a neat footballer. Their theatrics weren't the worst I've seen but definitely worse than we're accustomed to over here.
They have a couple of players with pace (particularly the left back) and break quickly with accurate passing. Their forward didn't seem to cause too many problems for the defence and was well marshalled.
They played a high pressing game regularly trying to close down the Hibs defenders when in possession.
They are weak at defending set pieces and aren't up to full fitness as they tired badly towards the end, the high pressing wore off as the game went on.

Most of this is along with what I thought last night..

I genuinely thought the tie was over at half time and we would go on to take a bit of a doing. Just hoped to grab a goal and make a fist of things in the second half, which we certainly did. No question they looked a notch above us and were very comfortable in moving the ball around and progressing up the pitch. They did empty in the second half when we threw everything at them though - they were always going to sit further after we scored, and even more so with the second.

I wanted us to go gung-ho and try and take a 2 goal lead into the second tie by the time we got to stoppage time. We weren't miles away from doing so... if we'd played for another 10 mins last night the tie could have been over!

Also think some of the shouting at their time-wasting was a bit over the top. Aye there was a fair bit and some rightfully criticised/booed, but nothing we haven't seen before, and some of it exactly what we'd expect our own boys to do.

:flag:

jakedance
27-07-2018, 02:26 PM
I thought they were decent enough and probably about at our SPL/level. If we play well we can win over there.

scooby
27-07-2018, 02:44 PM
I thought they were a decent team, but we flattered them in the first half. Providing Lennon doesn't have any bammy ideas on team selection and formation for the return, I think we'll win the game.
Play the team that started the second half and we'll be fine.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Asteris looked good on the counter attack. Will be interesting to see how good they are, when they need to be on the front foot next week

J-C
27-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Technically good on the ball and going forward but very suspect at the back, as with a lot of foreign teams they knew how to cheat, moan and generally wind up the opposition as every opportunity, we need to be a lot wiser in the 2nd leg. Annoyed at the silly booking we got due to players mouthing off at the ref, he showed in the first 10 minutes he stood for no nonsense when he booked their guy for back chat.

PiemanP
27-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Some people are saying they looked physical and athletic but I thought they weren’t anywhere near us in this department. Especially in the air we dominated them. Some more whipped balls into Flo and I think there’s goals to be had there as well as set pieces (although need to watch them on the break as they are quick).

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 04:27 PM
thought they were good, but not great, id fancy our chances if it went to extra time, but then again heat may be a factor,

what is good, is that they got rid of a top DC , and had to get one sharpish, they now have that guy out for the
2nd leg,a nd he does look good, so thats a bonus, we got a fair amount of bookings tae,

Sure they can pass the ball about wuick, and have good tech, aslong as we dont let them make us run about like simon murrays
all night to get the baw, we are surely a better team, and hopefully that will show, if we can keep the mistalkes down,

someone go find rocky, ask if he will be fit next week, then we may have a chance.

B.H.F.C
27-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Need to put pressure on their keeper. He flapped at things all night. In general they were poor defensively.

The big guy in the middle of the park was good for them until he lost the plot and became more concerned with winding folk up.

Some technically good players up front who will cause us problems next week. We’ll need to score.

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Need to put pressure on their keeper. He flapped at things all night. In general they were poor defensively.

The big guy in the middle of the park was good for them until he lost the plot and became more concerned with winding folk up.

Some technically good players up front who will cause us problems next week. We’ll need to score.

think we will need 2, the way we are playing , we will concede another2 no doubt!..if we get 2, gret chance of going thru

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 04:32 PM
IF we can keep it tight, going into the match with a lead is great, as theyd need topuch up more and more
.IF we can keep it tight at the back, it will give us a good chance, of boyle type counter,

agree that set plays have to be a big thing for us , especially with that big defender being out for them,their keeper was not much better than ours.....which is not hard

calumhibee1
27-07-2018, 04:35 PM
Nothing exciting. Technically decent, probably about average if they were in the Scottish Prem. The striker got nothing out our defence and they looked decent on the left but I’m not sure if that’s only cause of how badly we set up first half. Half decent in midfield but they couldn’t handle McGinns power.

Overall I’d put them about levels with Hearts or Motherwell.

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 04:42 PM

should the boyler be on the right wing,away?where he belongs. hopefully keep that left back pinned back, see how good he is at defending, boyle can more than match his pace, was impressed with boyles 20 yrd shot last night, lets face it, they dont usually go as well, needed a top save to keep out,

Its a tough one, because boyle would likely get alot more room against the other fullback,.,.... wish we had barker, /another pacy winger,

hfc rd
27-07-2018, 04:51 PM
They have some very good technical players. Particularly the captain and the lad that scored the 2 goals for them. The CB that got sent off looked solid and I’m glad he is suspended for the 2nd leg. They are however nothing really that special.

I’m hoping we do the business in Greece and qualify for the next round to face Molde but those two away goals might potentially come back to haunt us.

LeithSqualk
27-07-2018, 04:56 PM
I agree they had some technical players but felt we were by far the better team. When we went 1 nil down I never thought for one minute we wouldn’t score as we were in control. The second was a great great goal. Then the time wasting really got on my tits. We couldn’t get back into the flow. When we scored the 3rd I went mental purely as there sneaky tactics failed.

Pretty Boy
27-07-2018, 05:05 PM
I thought they were technically very good. Some of their short passing in tight spaces in the 1st half was really nice; there was a 15/20 minute spell in which we were chasing shadows and they were passing round us for fun.

2nd half we got stuck into them and raised the tempo and they didn't like it one little bit. They looked a bit bemused. It was quite funny in this age of technical football to see some good old fashioned Scottish 'get stuck in and run at them' play it's part albeit we knocked the ball about well too.

They did raise it again after we equalised and pushed us back and I think we need to be wary of that next week.

They were a decent side, to say otherwise does our 2nd half performance a disservice but we are capable of doing what needs done over there.

snooky
27-07-2018, 05:08 PM
I thought their no. 8 looked decent. For a while they were challenging us in our own half when we had possession - something we did towards the end of last season but seem to have forgotten. As has been said above, they all look comfortable on the ball.
I hope we don't go there set up to defend a one goal lead. We have to go for the first goal to give us a cushion.

1van Sprou7e
27-07-2018, 06:33 PM
They looked far more disciplined than we did at times but at the same time they didn't look all that great

2 lucky goals (1st was also shocking defending) they got although I expect them to be much better at home

ancient hibee
27-07-2018, 06:37 PM
In the first half we made them look better than they are.In the second they couldn’t handle us and realistically the tie should be out of sight.

Silky
27-07-2018, 06:52 PM
In the first half we made them look better than they are.In the second they couldn’t handle us and realistically the tie should be out of sight.

I agree. I didn't think they were that great and said to my daughter at 0-2 that if we got one back we would at least get another. Goalie was not convincing and they looked dodgy at the back.

B.H.F.C
27-07-2018, 07:05 PM
I hope we don't go there set up to defend a one goal lead. We have to go for the first goal to give us a cushion.

I don’t think we will because I don’t think we can.

The defence has fallen to bits since that Kilmarnock game at ER. I don’t think the lack of a consistent lineup in front of them has helped. It can’t be all their fault having been so good for much of last season.

Anyway, the Greeks didn’t look much better at the back so we have to fancy our chances of scoring.

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 07:40 PM
will marvin play i the away leg??

without mcginn the game will be so much tougher, no doubt, as he is the kinda player who shines i tough games away.

Id say just keep him if its not over 2mil. what will we get, 1 million net? his services can give us 2 league positions, and
potentially europa league progress, if we do keep him and make group stages It will be well worth it financially...

SRHibs
27-07-2018, 07:49 PM
I don’t think they were that great. Probably mid-table SPL level; the type of team we would be beating maybe 7 times out of 10.

Even in the first half I didn’t think they looked particularly scary. Will still be a very tough game in Greece though.

ancient hibee
27-07-2018, 09:42 PM
They will look for a homer ref and then try to get a red card for someone while hoping to kick lumps out of us themselves.

madabouthibs
27-07-2018, 09:47 PM
I think they looked fit and athletic and quick, but lacked a bit of physical oomph. A bit lightweight. If we play like we can, like the second half, we'll win the away tie. They have to score, and stop us scoring.
I don't think they will. 😁 👍

Tyler Durden
27-07-2018, 09:56 PM
They will look for a homer ref and then try to get a red card for someone while hoping to kick lumps out of us themselves.

Think you’re right but I wonder how the size of crowd will influence the ref? They will barely outnumber us so quite different from going to play an AEK Athens for example.

Saying all that it wasn’t like our crowd helped us last night. The ref took pelters from them all night but booked Boyle as soon as he went near him

greenlex
27-07-2018, 09:58 PM

They know how to get to the group stages. They know how to get it done. Next week isn’t impossible but it will be tough.

Dashing Bob S
27-07-2018, 10:20 PM
They know how to get to the group stages. They know how to get it done. Next week isn’t impossible but it will be tough.

This is about the size of it. Very hard job for us. It's doable but will take a measured, disciplined performance. We could make life incredibly hard for them but we could equally be swept aside.

matty_f
27-07-2018, 10:25 PM
I thought we were better than them once we hit our stride. They look comfortable on the ball and pretty well organised - noticed when they broke forward they were very cohesive and did so with purpose.

They didn't look great at the back, we could and should have scored more.

Jack Sparrow was a dirty *******, should have been booked early doors.

superfurryhibby
27-07-2018, 10:26 PM

We have found their achilles heel though. Goalie was a weakness and they struggled with our tempo in the second half, when we really gave them no respite and worked like Trojans. They urnae that good really. When I muse upon this leg I arrive at a Hibernian victory.

Sammy7nil
27-07-2018, 10:45 PM

I am surprised you can bet them at evens on Betfair. Which means it is a genuine 50/50 as to who goes through. I thought they would be 4/7.

Bishop Hibee
27-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Their goalie was dodgy. There were a couple he pushed away theatrically which I actually laughed out loud at they looked so ridiculous.

monktonharp
27-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Their number 17 was skillfull and technically very good, but he was a massive sh*tebag!

Their number 4 was on the deck after any bit of contact, was frustrating as every corner almost ended with him on the deck and the ref giving a free kick.their number 17 was their captain. a very good player and one of the best on the park last night. However, he was a sneaky , conniving moaning git throughout the match. just what you'd expect against Euro opponents and he will be twice as tricky/nasty at hame. would not frown on him if he wanted to play for us though:wink:

J-C
28-07-2018, 05:40 AM
will marvin play i the away leg??

without mcginn the game will be so much tougher, no doubt, as he is the kinda player who shines i tough games away.

Id say just keep him if its not over 2mil. what will we get, 1 million net? his services can give us 2 league positions, and
potentially europa league progress, if we do keep him and make group stages It will be well worth it financially...

McGinn will play, he only has 2 bookings, need 3 for a ban

Jones28
28-07-2018, 06:26 AM
Their number 4 was a greetin wee bugger who went down and stayed down at every opportunity.

We must be wary in the away tie and hope that they're still reeling from the second half.

Big_Franck
28-07-2018, 06:32 AM
McGinn will play, he only has 2 bookings, need 3 for a ban

McGinn only has one booking. Its Daz that has 2.

SirDavidsNapper
28-07-2018, 06:46 AM
They're clearly a good side and they have an unbelievable home record. Lost only 16 of last 107 home games. I just hope Daz's "tackle" and our fightback has given them the fear.

J-C
28-07-2018, 06:50 AM
McGinn only has one booking. Its Daz that has 2.

Either way McGinn will play unless a transfer goes through beforehand

jonny
28-07-2018, 06:53 AM
I am surprised you can bet them at evens on Betfair. Which means it is a genuine 50/50 as to who goes through. I thought they would be 4/7.

They're 4/5 on SkyBet and Hibs are out at 14/5.
They don't have a price up to qualify yet which is the one I'd be most interested in.

calumhibee1
28-07-2018, 07:28 AM
They're clearly a good side and they have an unbelievable home record. Lost only 16 of last 107 home games. I just hope Daz's "tackle" and our fightback has given them the fear.

I wouldn’t read too much into their home record. Our home record last season was probably similar on average, theirs is just over a longer period. It’s good, no doubt about that, but not that good that we can’t get anything from it.

Greenbeard
28-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I thought their no. 8 looked decent. For a while they were challenging us in our own half when we had possession - something we did towards the end of last season but seem to have forgotten. As has been said above, they all look comfortable on the ball.
Def can't afford to sit back 'cos it is short odds-on they will score. Prob after going down the left and doing Efe on the turn. Trust in NL to get the set-up right but some need to cut down the mistakes and others work 100% at tracking back.

Keith_M
28-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Their number 4 was a greetin wee bugger who went down and stayed down at every opportunity.

We must be wary in the away tie and hope that they're still reeling from the second half.

I think they'll be well up for it . They have undoubted skill and are obviously what's euphemistically called 'street-wise' and will be prepared to do whatever it takes to get through.

I hope Lenny tells Daz to lamp the Argentinian d1ck (the guy with the man-bun) right at the start this time. That'll put their gas at a peep! :wink:

A Hi-Bee
28-07-2018, 04:04 PM
We have found their achilles heel though. Goalie was a weakness and they struggled with our tempo in the second half, when we really gave them no respite and worked like Trojans. They urnae that good really. When I muse upon this leg I arrive at a Hibernian victory.

All Greek to me.

Tug Wilson
28-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Although they looked good going forward, they didn't actually make that many chances. Certainly, at times, they had our defence scrambling. Especially down our right wing in the 1st half. However, we managed to cope with most of their attacks.

I have a feeling that they will target Efe but for some reason I think that he might have a stormer in the 2nd leg. With Gray and Stevenson as wingbacks then we are covered a little more defensively. Almost going to be a back 5 at times.

Kamberi and Boyle up front gave them issues with their pace and will be important to give us an out ball. Flo must be a decent bet to nick a goal.

The big decision is the 3 in midfield. I would go with Mallan holding, McGinn on left and Slivka on right as finished on Thursday. Although they might not be the most physical midfield trio, I think that their tempo and skill will do well against the Greek midfield. If needed later in the game then we can bring on Marv to be more defensive but we need to score goals and all 3 of that midfield have goals in them.

Going to be a tough ask and could go pear shaped, but one thing that Asteras know is that even if they score we are capable of a comeback.