PDA

View Full Version : The return leg

lord bunberry
27-07-2018, 01:37 AM
Surely we must go for the second half of today’s game approach? Going there and trying to defend our lead would be footballing suicide imo. I think we’ll score over there and that might just be enough to see us through.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 01:53 AM
Surely we must go for the second half of today’s game approach? Going there and trying to defend our lead would be footballing suicide imo. I think we’ll score over there and that might just be enough to see us through.

I think the heat will play a big part in our performance, no way we can sustain that high tempo for 90 minutes over there, its supposed to be 25c at kick off next Thursday but feels like 28c according to the World Weather site.

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/tripoli-weather/peloponnese/gr.aspx?day=6

Austinho
27-07-2018, 02:38 AM
I think the heat will play a big part in our performance, no way we can sustain that high tempo for 90 minutes over there, its supposed to be 25c at kick off next Thursday but feels like 28c according to the World Weather site.

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/tripoli-weather/peloponnese/gr.aspx?day=6Yeah, that’s going to be a massive factor - hopefully one we are well prepared for. Our usual gung-ho approach will need to go out the window. We’ll have to be clever and play them at their own game and timewaste a fair bit. Perhaps go all out to try for an early away goal to defend?

At least we’ll be as well prepared as ever with the weather Edinburgh’s having this summer!

Souter96Mac
27-07-2018, 05:14 AM
I think Asteras showed, they are lacking match fitness over 90 mins. It was obvious they struggled in the 2nd half, whilst we improved. Try and keep it tight first half, then as they get leggy, go out and score a couple goals.

we are hibs
27-07-2018, 05:47 AM
I hope we get an early away goal and timewaste like ****. Get it round them. That's where Lennon was right that these sides are more streetwise than us. They know how to kill momentum and waste time whereas we still want to go full throttle regardless If we are 5-0 up or 1-0 up

GlesgaeHibby
27-07-2018, 06:14 AM

It was roasting at kick off last night too.

Gatecrasher
27-07-2018, 06:16 AM
That first half performance was more on us rather than them being good. it will be tough next week but we can do it. They look tidy going forward but we dominated them in the second half.

lyonhibs
27-07-2018, 06:16 AM
25, feels like 28? Pah, that's baltic compared to some of the temperatures we've been getting here in Switzerland and even back home.

I'd expect it to be in to the 30's in Greece in August no? In this heatwave central summer especially.

Anyway, agree with the principal though. We cannot just sit in and invite them on to us, our defence isn't strong enough for that.

The Leith Dutch
27-07-2018, 06:22 AM

It depends which Hibs team turn up though no?

If we try to defend our lead the way we defended in the Faroe Islands or the first half tonight then I'd completely agree.
If we defend the way we did most of last season and the way those defenders are capable of defending then that's a different matter.

I might for example be tempted to try to keep it tight first half with five at the back (including Gray) and Bartley anchoring behind McGinn, Mallan and Slivka to flood the midfield and deny them space with Flo leading the line. Keep Boyle for the second half and hit them at pace.

That said - you're spot on with the last bit especially if we score first.

Oscar T Grouch
27-07-2018, 06:25 AM

It was 27C last night at kick off. Cooled as the game went on. It’ll be the same over there

Sir David Gray
27-07-2018, 06:40 AM
It will kick off at 9pm local time so that should help as the sun will have set by then. It will still be hot though and probably too hot to play an all out attacking game for 90 minutes.

I do think we should try to get an early goal though which would force them to come out as they would need to score twice.

sean04
27-07-2018, 06:54 AM
Need to be careful, there home record is pretty impressive in Euro games. They will come out quickly and try take the game to us. Can see us scoring over there. Dangerous from set pieces and Boyle on the counter will be a thorn in there side

sauzee=legend
27-07-2018, 07:01 AM
Apparently at kick off last night it was warmer in Edinburgh Greece.

Borderhibbie76
27-07-2018, 07:02 AM
It was roasting at kick off last night too.Yup according to EEN it was 27 degrees at kick off last night so not much difference

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
27-07-2018, 07:02 AM
We’ll need to score one at least - no danger we’re keeping a clean sheet. Pretty confident we will score ourselves but just hope that the away goals don’t come back to haunt us.

Sprouleflyer
27-07-2018, 07:04 AM
This is where you hope Lennon's European experience comes to the fore.

One thing is for sure, he needs to get his team and tactics spot on from the start, not like last night where we improved the balance of the team at half time.

SirDavidsNapper
27-07-2018, 07:05 AM
The best form of defence for Hibs is attack. We've seen it time and again.

JackHibs
27-07-2018, 07:25 AM
The boy that got sent off for them was their best defender, won everything and made some good challenges!! Even though he was a cheat and spent more time on the floor..

They will miss him next week, positive for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gorgie greens
27-07-2018, 07:27 AM
The best form of defence for Hibs is attack. We've seen it time and again.

We are too frail at the back and the Kevin Keegan style as long as we score one more than them

hibsforeurope
27-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Same team that finished the second half must start next week, unless we sign a superstar or two!

I'd take a 4-3 loss or a draw right now.

Diclonius
27-07-2018, 08:21 AM
At every foul or break in play we should have players writhing around like they've been shot, collapsing in a heap at the slightest touch, taking an age at every single set piece and surrounding the referee about everything. Beat them at their own game.

Austinho
27-07-2018, 08:25 AM
The boy that got sent off for them was their best defender, won everything and made some good challenges!! Even though he was a cheat and spent more time on the floor..

They will miss him next week, positive for us!Took about a decade to take his shin pads off, play with his socks and trudge off the park too!

Onion
27-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Took about a decade to take his shin pads off, play with his socks and trudge off the park too!

Not sure why guys my age were doing their dinger at the card happy ref, Greek play-acting and time wasting. This was typical European night and a great reminder of what we've been missing. I loved it.

For the second leg, Hibs players need to keep their cool as the Greeks will be up to all sorts to gain an advantage. It will be a real test for Hibs players - hopefully not a lesson !

makaveli1875
27-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Same team that finished the second half must start next week, unless we sign a superstar or two!

I'd take a 4-3 loss or a draw right now.

Doesnt matter who we sign they wont be able to play until the next round if we get through

EastThomasSTboy
27-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Both defences were brutal last night, and in the return leg they will miss their suspended player as well.

Our Goalie and back three "All" defended poorly, so the eventual winner will depend on who ups their game in the return leg.

Their midfield to forwards looked comfortable and composed going forward, so we should start the game, with a back four and Bartley in front of them for 60 mins,...when hopefully they will again run out of gas towards the end and we can hit them on the counter. (IMO).

GGTTH.:flag:

hibbysam
27-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Both defences were brutal last night, and in the return leg they will miss their suspended player as well.

Our Goalie and back three "All" defended poorly, so the eventual winner will depend on who ups their game in the return leg.

Their midfield to forwards looked comfortable and composed going forward, so we should start the game, with a back four and Bartley in front of them for 60 mins,...when hopefully they will again run out of gas towards the end and we can hit them on the counter. (IMO).

GGTTH.:flag:

Not sure you can say our back 3 were brutal. Their first goal came from the right and a shocking goalkeeping error, second from a 30 yard strike.. not sure they had any there clear cut chances. So in that regard what did you want Daz and Hanlon to do?