PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Asteras Tripolis 260718)

Jonnyboy
26-07-2018, 10:48 PM
At half time I thought we were dead and buried but after a scintillating second 45, we are back in charge of our own destiny.

Ahead of kick off the line up suggested a 3-5-1-1 with Boyler supporting Flo up front. That worked but sadly the decision to push Slivka wide right and play Whitty in the middle did not. It seemed to me that SJM had to pretty much carry our midfield for the entire first half as Slivka was isolated, Mallan was overwhelmed and Whitty was just not at the races. Only Lewis offered SJM any support.

Hibs came out of the traps at pace and for the first five minutes or so they dominated the play as the visitors settled for getting our measure. Once they did however they came more and more into the game, flooding the midfield and finding each other with sharp crisp passes. They were very dangerous down their left hand side and when Efe allowed the ball beyond him he was left chasing the No. 77 who sped into the box and beat Bogdan from a tight angle. The silence was deafening and for a few moments I thought maybe the ball had gone behind the goals. Instead it nestled in the back of the net and the very small band of travelling fans was ecstatic.

Chances were created to get level but first Whitty and then Flo squandered golden chances with the former blasting over the bar from close range and the latter failing to make any meaningful contact with a fabulous ball from the right. We were made to pay as with around ten minutes to go until the break, Efe was skinned once again as he and Slivka failed to stop the No. 77 from striding to the edge of the box before firing a rocket shot past the outstretched arms of Bogdan. At the game it wasn’t clear from my angle whether Bogdan could have done better at both goals but his team mates could have as the Greek scorer was allowed the time and space to convert them.

At half time I hoped that Lenny would change things and give them what for after a first 45 that was below par and I think he did both. Removing Whitty (the ironic cheer when this was announced will do the guys confidence the world of good, I’m sure) he brought on David Gray to play at right wing back and moved Slivka into the middle. The effect was immediate as Hibs began to dominate but they weren’t helped by a referee who seemed happy to let niggly fouls go but whipped his card out if anyone had the temerity to challenge him.

Slivka looked much more at home in the centre of midfield and his presence allowed both Mallan and SJM a bit more freedom. After a period of pressure Hibs finally pulled a goal back just past the hour mark. Mallan’s corner was met by the head of Ambrose with the ball crashing back off the bar, hitting a body and ending up in the net. Efe did his goal celebration but some around me thought the ball had hit Boyler last.

The tails were up now and the visitors looked a tad bedraggled as Hibs pushed for an equaliser. That could have come from the head of Slivka who arrived late in the box to meet a Hanlon cross but the ball was slightly behind him and the header sailed over the bar. SJM, Boyler and Mallan all had half chances and with the home crowd roaring Hibs on it was David Gray that levelled things up. A deep cross from the left by Lewis saw SDG take a touch to control the ball before hammering it home to a crescendo of noise from the three home stands.

With around five minutes left the Tripolis No. 4, booked earlier in the game, earned a second yellow for a crude trip on Slivka around twenty yards from goal. The Greek trudged off and the home support was licking its lips as Mallan lined up the free kick. The laddie has us believing again that we can score from such opportunities but this time his effort hit the wall and was booted clear.

Time was running out fast and still Hibs pressed forward. Deep into the indicated four minutes of added time a cracking shot from Boyler was palmed out by the Greek keeper but Kamberi was lurking and fired home a winner which gives Hibs every chance of progressing. At half time we’d need to win 3-0 in Greece: at full time they need to beat us to progress. All if’s and but’s I know but at least we’re still in the tie.

The players

Bogdan – As I said earlier, I’m not sure what blame lies with him for the goals as I’ve not seen them again and there’s a chance he is blameless. Either way, he had little to do otherwise.

Efe – I’ve been pulled up on here before for criticising Efe over his ‘moments’ but tonight I felt it was almost all moments. Yes he scored (maybe) but he was very poor all night and was repeatedly skinned in one on one’s.

Daz – Looked as solid as ever but got a silly booking which I think rules him out of the second leg.

Paul – Daft as it might seem when we conceded two goals I felt Paul and Daz both played well. For me, the fault at the goals was created by other players not doing their jobs. In the second half especially, Paul drove us forward with purpose.

Vicky – Completely ineffective in the first half he was outstanding in the second. Central midfield is his strength and I don’t understand why Lenny plays him wide right.

Mallan – Stevie flitted in and out of the game at times but he’s a very tidy footballer and delivers a tremendous dead ball.

Whitty – Was like a fish out of water and it was no surprise when he was replaced at half time. It seems at times as though our midfield loses its balanced look when Whitty is shoehorned in.

SJM – With all that is going on around him it would be understandable if John seemed distracted or not fully committed. Tonight he proved what a consummate professional he is, giving a wholehearted display for the entire ninety minutes, fist pumping to the crowd and clearly giving every last ounce of himself.

Lewis – Once again Lewis gave his all and once again he provided a telling cross in creating our equaliser. Like SJM, he is the consummate professional.

Boyler – I think he’s kept Simon Murray’s batteries and added them to his own. I thought he was brilliant tonight and I’m willing to bet he’s got the bruises to prove how much trouble he caused the Greek defence. On a night when two or three vied for my man of the match, Boyler just edged it.

Flo – It wasn’t always his night tonight but he never stopped offering himself for the ball and proved that if you’re a natural goal scorer you’ll be there to take the chance to score when it presents itself.

SDG – It looks to me as though SDG is over the lingering injury problems he’s suffered and is back to his swashbuckling self. Was excellent in the right wing back roll and put his goal away with precision and quality.

Ryan – I was surprised when Paul was replaced so late on and worried that he’d taken a knock but although Ryan was only on for a few minutes he won the only challenge he had to and he might well be needed in Greece with Daz out due to suspension.

The ref – Started well but for me he punished people for the wrong things. Allowing niggling and repetitious fouls to go unpunished but whipping his yellow card out for backchat wasn’t the best.

ano hibby
26-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Thanks John.
Goals on another thread..looks to me Bogdan could do better for both goals.
Think 3 bookings missed a game so Daz should be ok for next time at least.
SJM my MOM..his drive, energy & passion are what got us back in the game. Boy will he be tough to replace.
Hanlon sub was very odd...didn’t look injured & crucial last 2 mins to see out...very strange. Sort of thing you do at under 9’s!

Ronniekirk
26-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Great write up Lennon after the game indicated he thought the keeper could of done better at both goals The Substitution at half time was badly needed Agree Effie had moments all over the place In second half he passed straight to one of their players when no need to do so I wonder what causes such lapses The Guy reporting on the game said they targeted Effie so they clearly knew they would get something by doing that out wide right
Second half we were immense and should of scored a few more Their keeper had some decent saves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyeSloan
26-07-2018, 11:08 PM
At half time I thought we were dead and buried but after a scintillating second 45, we are back in charge of our own destiny.

Ahead of kick off the line up suggested a 3-5-1-1 with Boyler supporting Flo up front. That worked but sadly the decision to push Slivka wide right and play Whitty in the middle did not. It seemed to me that SJM had to pretty much carry our midfield for the entire first half as Slivka was isolated, Mallan was overwhelmed and Whitty was just not at the races. Only Lewis offered SJM any support.

Hibs came out of the traps at pace and for the first five minutes or so they dominated the play as the visitors settled for getting our measure. Once they did however they came more and more into the game, flooding the midfield and finding each other with sharp crisp passes. They were very dangerous down their left hand side and when Efe allowed the ball beyond him he was left chasing the No. 77 who sped into the box and beat Bogdan from a tight angle. The silence was deafening and for a few moments I thought maybe the ball had gone behind the goals. Instead it nestled in the back of the net and the very small band of travelling fans was ecstatic.

Chances were created to get level but first Whitty and then Flo squandered golden chances with the former blasting over the bar from close range and the latter failing to make any meaningful contact with a fabulous ball from the right. We were made to pay as with around ten minutes to go until the break, Efe was skinned once again as he and Slivka failed to stop the No. 77 from striding to the edge of the box before firing a rocket shot past the outstretched arms of Bogdan. At the game it wasn’t clear from my angle whether Bogdan could have done better at both goals but his team mates could have as the Greek scorer was allowed the time and space to convert them.

At half time I hoped that Lenny would change things and give them what for after a first 45 that was below par and I think he did both. Removing Whitty (the ironic cheer when this was announced will do the guys confidence the world of good, I’m sure) he brought on David Gray to play at right wing back and moved Slivka into the middle. The effect was immediate as Hibs began to dominate but they weren’t helped by a referee who seemed happy to let niggly fouls go but whipped his card out if anyone had the temerity to challenge him.

Slivka looked much more at home in the centre of midfield and his presence allowed both Mallan and SJM a bit more freedom. After a period of pressure Hibs finally pulled a goal back just past the hour mark. Mallan’s corner was met by the head of Ambrose with the ball crashing back off the bar, hitting a body and ending up in the net. Efe did his goal celebration but some around me thought the ball had hit Boyler last.

The tails were up now and the visitors looked a tad bedraggled as Hibs pushed for an equaliser. That could have come from the head of Slivka who arrived late in the box to meet a Hanlon cross but the ball was slightly behind him and the header sailed over the bar. SJM, Boyler and Mallan all had half chances and with the home crowd roaring Hibs on it was David Gray that levelled things up. A deep cross from the left by Lewis saw SDG take a touch to control the ball before hammering it home to a crescendo of noise from the three home stands.

With around five minutes left the Tripolis No. 4, booked earlier in the game, earned a second yellow for a crude trip on Slivka around twenty yards from goal. The Greek trudged off and the home support was licking its lips as Mallan lined up the free kick. The laddie has us believing again that we can score from such opportunities but this time his effort hit the wall and was booted clear.

Time was running out fast and still Hibs pressed forward. Deep into the indicated four minutes of added time a cracking shot from Boyler was palmed out by the Greek keeper but Kamberi was lurking and fired home a winner which gives Hibs every chance of progressing. At half time we’d need to win 3-0 in Greece: at full time they need to beat us to progress. All if’s and but’s I know but at least we’re still in the tie.

The players

Bogdan – As I said earlier, I’m not sure what blame lies with him for the goals as I’ve not seen them again and there’s a chance he is blameless. Either way, he had little to do otherwise.

Efe – I’ve been pulled up on here before for criticising Efe over his ‘moments’ but tonight I felt it was almost all moments. Yes he scored (maybe) but he was very poor all night and was repeatedly skinned in one on one’s.

Daz – Looked as solid as ever but got a silly booking which I think rules him out of the second leg.

Paul – Daft as it might seem when we conceded two goals I felt Paul and Daz both played well. For me, the fault at the goals was created by other players not doing their jobs. In the second half especially, Paul drove us forward with purpose.

Vicky – Completely ineffective in the first half he was outstanding in the second. Central midfield is his strength and I don’t understand why Lenny plays him wide right.

Mallan – Stevie flitted in and out of the game at times but he’s a very tidy footballer and delivers a tremendous dead ball.

Whitty – Was like a fish out of water and it was no surprise when he was replaced at half time. It seems at times as though our midfield loses its balanced look when Whitty is shoehorned in.

SJM – With all that is going on around him it would be understandable if John seemed distracted or not fully committed. Tonight he proved what a consummate professional he is, giving a wholehearted display for the entire ninety minutes, fist pumping to the crowd and clearly giving every last ounce of himself.

Lewis – Once again Lewis gave his all and once again he provided a telling cross in creating our equaliser. Like SJM, he is the consummate professional.

Boyler – I think he’s kept Simon Murray’s batteries and added them to his own. I thought he was brilliant tonight and I’m willing to bet he’s got the bruises to prove how much trouble he caused the Greek defence. On a night when two or three vied for my man of the match, Boyler just edged it.

Flo – It wasn’t always his night tonight but he never stopped offering himself for the ball and proved that if you’re a natural goal scorer you’ll be there to take the chance to score when it presents itself.

SDG – It looks to me as though SDG is over the lingering injury problems he’s suffered and is back to his swashbuckling self. Was excellent in the right wing back roll and put his goal away with precision and quality.

Ryan – I was surprised when Paul was replaced so late on and worried that he’d taken a knock but although Ryan was only on for a few minutes he won the only challenge he had to and he might well be needed in Greece with Daz out due to suspension.

The ref – Started well but for me he punished people for the wrong things. Allowing niggling and repetitious fouls to go unpunished but whipping his yellow card out for backchat wasn’t the best.

Wow. Word for word how I saw the game. Excellent summation and boy what a second half that was...rivalled the Aberdeen one last season for the sheer determination to succeed.

SeanWilson
26-07-2018, 11:10 PM
Great report but I nearly lost the plot with the boy behind me for his constant commentary and in particular what 'vicky' shouldn't be doing.... Hopefully this isn't you 🤣

NaeTechnoHibby
26-07-2018, 11:16 PM
John, I could not have put it better if I tried :thumbsup:

The goalie had nae chance with their second though IMO :agree:

The first was a bit sloppy and the area was congested to see from the East Stand.... that's why I prefer the FFL (despite the drums) :thumbsup:

danhibees1875
26-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Great summation of the game as always! A pleasure to read.

Bogdan - 5
Daz - 6
Hanlon - 7
Ambrose - 5
Slivka - 7
Mallan - 7
McGinn - 8
Whittaker - 4
Stevenson - 7
Boyle - 7
Flo - 7

Sdg - 6

If we play like we did in the second half then we'll do enough in Greece.

Jim44
26-07-2018, 11:23 PM
You’re getting the hang of this match reporting business. :thumbsup:

JohnM1875
26-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Cracking report as usual!

Hanlon was stretching off about 5 minutes before he went off during an Asteras throwing so not too surprised (or worried) at his substitution.

100% agree about the reception to the Whitty sub! Felt the guy had a shocker but I'd never react like that to our own player going off. Bad patter.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Keeper had a mare for both. It wasn’t a great strike for the second it should have been easily saved.

CMurdoch
26-07-2018, 11:41 PM
thanks again for the report.

Have now seen goals online and Bogdan is responsible for the 1st goal.
Couldn't believe the guy had scored when i saw it at the match and still can't believe he scored after seeing it online!!!
Shocker.

The second goal is not Bogdans fault but is the fault other Hibs players.

Re Whittaker - he was appalling but a bigger share of the blame must be laid at the managers door for playing him in that position.
Steven simply does not control the ball quickly enough or have the passing ability to play in such a position.
Can't believe both he and us were allowed to suffer until half time before management changed things.
Even switching Whittaker and Slivka's positions after 20 minutes would have improved things for both players

Re Slivka - why was he played out wide again. We all know his most effective position is in the centre of midfield.

The 1st half was as bad as I have seen Hibs in a considerable time but the 2nd half was fantastic and has given us a chance.

We will have as many supporters as them at next weeks game and the team should treat it as a neutral venue and try to outscore them again.
At least that way we don't leave ourselves so open to going out on away goals.
So think we should be going for a 2-2 draw instead of trying for a 0-0.

Ronniekirk
26-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Keeper had a mare for both. It wasn’t a great strike for the second it should have been easily saved.

Which concurs with what Lennon said Does Lennon stick with him or throw Laidlaw in when he clearly didn't trust him to take Ricky's place when injured
Suspect he will stick by him but needs to improve for second leg

Deejk107
26-07-2018, 11:49 PM

The players

Never replied to one of these but read them every game without fail and seeing as I attended my first game in a long time tonight thought i'd reply and say cracking stuff as usual, thanks for doing these! Saw the game exactly the same although I believe Bogdan was at fault more than you might think, from my angle Marciano would have saved the first for sure, maybe not the 2nd though! Whittaker being removed at half time didn't surprise me at all considering how poor he was first half although I agree it wasn't the best reaction to the sub, although I felt at the time people were more happy to see SDG more than anything!

Borderhibbie76
27-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Which concurs with what Lennon said Does Lennon stick with him or throw Laidlaw in when he clearly didn't trust him to take Ricky's place when injured

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIf it was me.id pick Laidlaw as Bogdan does not instil any confidence but I'd agree Lennon will stick with him....hurry back Rocky

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

number9dream
27-07-2018, 12:12 AM
Wonderful second half, full of the aggression and tempo that was so sadly lacking before the interval.
No one mentioning what looked like a blatant handball in / on the edge of the box right in front of the giant ref? I think Boyle was booked for complaining.
Also, their keeper made a great save to keep Boyle’s shot out.
We probably should have scored at least one more but no one is complaining after being 2-0 down.

It’s not been a great start for Bogdan, virtually every shot he’s faced over three games in Europe has gone in.
How many times was Ambrose skinned? He will need a lot more defensive support (from Gray presumably) in Greece.

NAE NOOKIE
27-07-2018, 12:45 AM
If you ask me our first half performance wasn't as terrible as folk are making out, we weren't being dominated and even made a few chances … but the loss of two really poor goals made it look a hell of a lot worse. At the first goal there was a few players in and around the 6 yard box when the Greek lad hammered it across, but I thought Bogdan's positioning was lousy and contributed hugely to the ball going in. The second was worse IMO .. their player was shaping to shoot and when he couldn't moved the ball on across the pitch to give himself more room before hitting it … he was 23 yards out at an angle and Bogdan was on the correct side of his goals with an uninterrupted view of a shot he surely must have known was coming, when it did come it was at a good height for him and he still couldn't keep it out … not good enough at either goal for me.

Bogdan …. 4 …. Has barely stopped a single meaningful shot he has faced since getting the gloves, I refuse to believe this guy is better than Laidlaw.

Ambrose …. 5 ….. He was better in the 2nd half and did score ( or at least cause ) a goal … but he was ripped a new one time and again by their attacks down his side, the right back position isn't his best.

McGregor …. 6 …. Played pretty well without being spectacular, cant say I noticed too many real errors though.

Hanlon …. 7 …. Solid, won more than a few one on ones and drove us on from centre half in the 2nd half, a more than decent performance.

Stevenson … 7 …. Did his very very best to be the out ball on the left and put in some decent crosses too, worked his bollox off.

Whittaker …. 4 …. Very poor, summed up for me when after McGinn had retained possession from a seemingly impossible situation with a brilliant bit of play and passed it to him he dithered on it and immediately lost the ball.

Slivka …. 6 …. Absolutely anonymous in the first half through no fault of his own, far far better in the 2nd once he was moved into his more natural position and contributed a lot to a thrilling fightback .... could have got an 8 if he had started in the middle.

Mallan …. 7 …. Neat and tidy, I cant remember him giving the ball away once and he always showed for the ball and found space in a busy midfield, he is looking like a very good signing ….. if the ref had counted 10 steps at the free kick rather than the 8 I clearly saw him count he might have got that free kick over the wall.

McGinn …. 9 ….. What can you say? an absolutely immense performance in both halves …. overplayed a few passes but that aside the absolute fulcrum for that comeback with his grit, determination, fighting spirit, never say die attitude and burning desire to drive us forward, its unbelievable that clubs aren't kicking our door down trying to sign him.

Camberi …. 7 …. I thought he worked very hard and showed well for the ball, they had clearly marked him out as a danger and he rarely had less than two guys on him … but he cant stop scoring, right place at the right time again for the winner.

Boyle …. 7 …. Gave everything and chased from one side of the pitch to the other even late on trying to close down their back line, great effort from him.

SUBS:

Gray …. 7 …. What a difference when he came on, we were far more threatening down our right and he showed a cool head to control the ball and hit a superb shot across the keeper.

Porteous ...4 … Didn't have a lot to do, but he could have been forgiven if he was a bit nervous given the situation when he came on, if he was he didn't show it.

Neil Lennon ….. His bizarre line up at the start could still well end up costing us a place in the next round, but at least he had the guts to change it, if he did have any input at half time that is, I'm sure there are ways ban or not. If he still has any faith in Bogdan I would be very surprised.

But when all is said and done, what a fantastic never say die fightback from the whole team turning what could have been a disaster into a pretty memorable European night …. Hibs are many things, but we sure as hell aren't boring :greengrin

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 01:47 AM
Bogdan has faced maybe 12-14 shots on target (I don't have the actual stats unfortunately) in the last 3 games and conceded 7 goals. Thats brutal.

Sprouleflyer
27-07-2018, 05:09 AM
Good summary of the match.

Re the Ref, I might be wrong but I am pretty sure it took until the 21st minute for him to award a freekick, he did let play continue quite a bit when other refs would blow up.

Apart from the no contesting bit, I think he had a decent game, in fact no one is really talking about the refs performance which indicates he did.

Ronniekirk
27-07-2018, 07:35 AM
If it was me.id pick Laidlaw as Bogdan does not instil any confidence but I'd agree Lennon will stick with him....hurry back Rocky

Just watched highlights the first was a joke The defenders almost avoiding each other and letting the guy run through But keeper
Was at fault Really not impressed We went out last year after a poor goalkeeper mistake at home Just hope that away goal doesn't cost us

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 07:39 AM

Laidlaw all day long for me.

Borderhibbie76
27-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Laidlaw all day long for me.Has to me...and he played in Brondby so has experience of euro away ties ...don't be stubborn Lennon

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Great report as always John. Night and day from the 1st half
At the end of the day, at ht we were out of the tie, now in the driving seat
Looking forward to Thursday now

Ronniekirk
27-07-2018, 07:44 AM

I agree but Big call

Allant1981
27-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Bogdan has faced maybe 12-14 shots on target (I don't have the actual stats unfortunately) in the last 3 games and conceded 7 goals. Thats brutal.

apart from possibly one last week and one tonight i dont think there is much he could have done about the others, stats are very deceiving as we all know, the first tonight was definitely a goalkeeping error though

Allant1981
27-07-2018, 07:47 AM

sorry but laidlaw is no better than bogdan, we need continuity at the moment and especially for a game the size of next week, not the time to swap goalkeepers unless he was a massive improvement which laidlaw is not

Blaster
27-07-2018, 07:49 AM
sorry but laidlaw is no better than bogdan, we need continuity at the moment and especially for a game the size of next week, not the time to swap goalkeepers unless he was a massive improvement which laidlaw is not

I agree. Bogdan should have done better for the first no doubt but the 2nd was a great strike in off the inside of the post

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 08:01 AM
I agree. Bogdan should have done better for the first no doubt but the 2nd was a great strike in off the inside of the post

Has to do better for the second.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 08:06 AM

Laidlaw is a good keeper. He had a bad game against Celtic at Hampden but he’s a lot better than Bogdan on what I’ve seen so far. 100% has to go with Laidlaw.

Blaster
27-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Has to do better for the second.

I disagree. A few others thought the same as you at the game and changed their mind after watching the highlights. Opinions I guess

Green_one
I thought all the midfield played much better in the second half. Two comments

The Hibs corners were excellent. I can see goals this season from dead balls

I was confused by where SDG was positioned. Wide and high up the pitch. However it widened the game and he almost scored two goals. I had the biggest smile when he scored. Memories came flooding back :greengrin

Allant1981
Laidlaw is a good keeper. He had a bad game against Celtic at Hampden but he’s a lot better than Bogdan on what I’ve seen so far. 100% has to go with Laidlaw.

fair enough, your opinion is your opinion, for me he is no better and lennon obviously doesnt think so either, but then again lennon thinks slivka is a wing back!!

hibee_girl
27-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Couldn’t make last night so was looking out for your thread, great read :aok:

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 08:11 AM
fair enough, your opinion is your opinion, for me he is no better and lennon obviously doesnt think so either, but then again lennon thinks slivka is a wing back!!

He also thinks Whitty can still play!!!! 😁

marinello59
27-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Not as brutal as the defence they allowed so many shots on target.
He takes a share of the blame for the first goal last night. . He is blameless for the second, no way was he stopping that one.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 08:15 AM
He takes a share of the blame for the first goal last night. . He is blameless for the second, no way was he stopping that one.

He is if he covers his near post better. Folk saying he had no chance clearly don’t know the keepers position well or played in goals. Both were shockers.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Watch it again, the ball is past him before he even extends his arms. Far too slow to react imo.

Ronniekirk
27-07-2018, 08:16 AM
He also thinks Whitty can still play!!!! [emoji16]

Surprised he lasted till half time If we weren't getting beat would of felt sorry for him last night as very poor Would never Boo a player off though

Ronniekirk
27-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Watch it again, the ball is past him before he even extends his arms. Far too slow to react imo.

Lennon said in radio he should of done better at both goals . I assume Lennon wanted to bring him in as cover, so he now has to decide if he can react positively to public criticism of him by his manager and bounce back
First time I had seen him but genuinely Ely not impressed
Having said that the defence since the Kilmarnock game last season is conceding goals at an Alarming rate compared to before that
Means we need to out score teams hence some cracking games and no of goals seen at Easter Rd

Hibee Mac
27-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Surprised people think the second goal was unstoppable, if Marciano was in goals he saves that without question.

Just look at how Bogdan just limply falls to his side in that horrendous attempt at a save, reminds me of Oxley but even worse!

Laidlaw is a good 2nd keeper and has proven that so why are we playing some no-mark overpaid muppet who's 4th choice in a team with Karius and Mignolet!...

Blaster
27-07-2018, 08:28 AM
He is if he covers his near post better. Folk saying he had no chance clearly don’t know the keepers position well or played in goals. Both were shockers.

I can understand people’s opinion if they think he should have done better at the 2nd. But a ‘shocker’. Really? Zibi & Simon Brown had shockers, that 2nd was never a shocker

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 08:38 AM
I can understand people’s opinion if they think he should have done better at the 2nd. But a ‘shocker’. Really? Zibi & Simon Brown had shockers, that 2nd was never a shocker

A shocker doesn’t just have to be thrown in. Being very slow to react, or out of position. For me both goals are shockers to lose. I’d be raging with myself if I let them in!

weecounty hibby
27-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the thread. Currently in Portugal so had to have my laddie follow Twitter for updates. The night was beginning to look pretty bad but definitely picked up when we scored the winner. Always good to read an unbiased account of the game 😂

Eyrie
27-07-2018, 09:21 AM
I had a very good view of their second from behind and, whilst it was well struck, Bogdan should still have saved it.

Compare it to Hanlon's shot in the second half which their keeper did save.

Allant1981
27-07-2018, 09:36 AM
I had a very good view of their second from behind and, whilst it was well struck, Bogdan should still have saved it.

Compare it to Hanlon's shot in the second half which their keeper did save.

hanlons was completely different, it was straight at the keeper which theirs clearly wasnt

Arch Stanton
27-07-2018, 09:40 AM
A shocker doesn’t just have to be thrown in. Being very slow to react, or out of position. For me both goals are shockers to lose. I’d be raging with myself if I let them in!

Both slow to react and bad position for the first IMO.

From my view the ball was fired directly at Bogdan and came off him into the net - any keeper with decent reflexes would have kept that out.

scoopyboy
27-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Thanks John.
Goals on another thread..looks to me Bogdan could do better for both goals.
Think 3 bookings missed a game so Daz should be ok for next time at least.
SJM my MOM..his drive, energy & passion are what got us back in the game. Boy will he be tough to replace.
Hanlon sub was very odd...didn’t look injured & crucial last 2 mins to see out...very strange. Sort of thing you do at under 9’s!

Paul had a bit of cramp, that's all, nothing sinister.

Eyrie
27-07-2018, 09:47 AM
hanlons was completely different, it was straight at the keeper which theirs clearly wasnt

Hanlon's was well struck and had a little movement, but their keeper read it and made a simple save. That was the difference - Bogdan didn't read the shot.

Allant1981
27-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Hanlon's was well struck and had a little movement, but their keeper read it and made a simple save. That was the difference - Bogdan didn't read the shot.

sorry but hanlons was far easier to save, Bogdan possibly should have done better but to suggest they were similar is just wrong

ano hibby
27-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Paul had a bit of cramp, that's all, nothing sinister.

Ok, ta 👍

Hi Heid Yin
27-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Great write up Jonnyboy!

HH81
27-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Great report as always John. Night and day from the 1st half
At the end of the day, at ht we were out of the tie, now in the driving seat
Looking forward to Thursday now

I wouldn't call it the driving seat. Slim lead with lots to do.