PDA

View Full Version : Ambrose

The Modfather
26-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Bit of a mixed bag from him tonight. Good goal and some good driving runs but thought he had an awful first half, he wasn’t alone in that respect. Was better second half but still not quite 100% at it.

I can see why he’s so popular, but I think he can let himself down with the basic art of defending at times. Still rather have him than not though.

we are hibs
26-07-2018, 09:54 PM
How many times was he nutmegged tonight? Really poor defensive display from him and a real slackness on the ball

Dunbar Hibee
26-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Brutal defending from him tonight let’s be honest! Really good going forward though. He’s some boy.😂

calumhibee1
26-07-2018, 09:55 PM
How many times was he nutmegged tonight? Really poor defensive display from him and a real slackness on the ball

I was just about to say that, I've never seen one player get megged so many times, must have been at least 3 or 4? If we were to go a 4 at the back next week (no idea if he will) tonight showed to me that he'd be the one that would need to drop out. Some decent enough stuff going forward though and a great goal. Still love the guy!

Jim44
26-07-2018, 09:56 PM
I think his positives outweigh his negatives. Got to live with it.

hfc rd
26-07-2018, 10:01 PM
I like Efe but tonight was definitely one of his poorest games for Hibs. Glad he scored but needs to do better defensively as the Asteras LW was skinning him for fun when caught 1v1

Onion
26-07-2018, 10:07 PM
I like Efe but tonight was definitely one of his poorest games for Hibs. Glad he scored but needs to do better defensively as the Asteras LW was skinning him for fun when caught 1v1

Poor first half by Efe but in his defence have to say he was given zero support/cover by Slivka at RWB (truly awful). And Efe is not a right back.

Smartie
26-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Another chapter in the mad chronicles of Efe Ambrose.

He was absolutely all over the shop for most of the first half, yet still made some decent, important headed clearances.

He was inspirational in the second half, absolutely brilliant.

In his defence, I think he's another one hung out to dry by Lennon's starting line-up. You don't want to play RCB with Slivka out of position at WB and Whittaker toiling as your protector in central midfield.

He was miles better with the correct players in the right positions around him.

ancient hibee
26-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Exactly.

hfc rd
26-07-2018, 10:28 PM
Poor first half by Efe but in his defence have to say he was given zero support/cover by Slivka at RWB (truly awful). And Efe is not a right back.

Not just the 1st half but the 2nd half I had my eyes shut when the Asteras winger was running at Ambrose. Take nothing away from Efe, I absolutely love the big guy but minus the first goal he scored tonight. It was a poor overall performance from Efe.

Slivka was poor 1st half as I was bamboozled why we played him in a RWB role and kept Gray on the bench? Slivka looked far better when he moved to midfield in the 2nd.

heretoday
26-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Keep Efe upfield as much as possible. He's no defender against good players.

Sir David Gray
26-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Defensively it was one of the worst performances i've seen from him. However he played a big part in our win so I think with Efe we just need to take the rough with the smooth.

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:41 PM
I can't decide if he was brilliantly hopeless or hopelessly brilliant. Either way, he was definitely Efe. Best goal celebration in history!

marinello59
27-07-2018, 12:52 AM
His first half performance was dreadful. So it was inevitable he would score in the second half. I absolutely love the guy, he just seems to epitomise the madness that is Hibs.

Austinho
27-07-2018, 01:03 AM
With Efe, he always seems to perform badly in Europe. Tonight’s performance, away to Runavík, and think there were a few for Celtic too - Lincoln Red Imps in particular. Beginning to wonder if it’s a fitness issue where it takes him a while to get going in the early games after preseason, rather it being an emerging pattern. He has his moments, but he was mostly solid last season.

wookie70
27-07-2018, 01:46 PM
He was late back last year and I think it took him a while to get going. In the friendlies this year I thought he looked really good but the standard of opposition was very low for most of the games. He was exceptionally poor last night and looked flat footed and slow to react. Saying that he has mostly been excellent and even the best have a few off days.

Smartie
27-07-2018, 02:10 PM
I thought he was dreadful at the start of last season and when he had a horror show against Livi in the cup at home I suggested that was the time for Porteous to come in for him, and I was slaughtered for the very notion of chucking a kid in for one of our most high-profile players.

To be fair to Efe, from that moment on he had a superb season - he really upped his game. yes, he had the odd horror show along the way but these were few and far between and he was generally outstanding for us for most of last season.

For all he was brutal in the first half last night I thought he was excellent in the second, and with the right players in all positions around him I thought he recovered to have a really good game.

So far I'd say it's as if he's had bit of a hit or miss pre-season whilst he finds his feet, only in competitive games. I trust he'll come good again, but we really need him to put in a performance for 90 minutes next week.

Diclonius
27-07-2018, 02:12 PM
It's amazing how much better a player is when he's in his actual position. :wink:

J-C
27-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Still frustrates the hell out of me, love his surging runs and then at the same time within minutes he'll fall asleep and lose his man, or get caught out of position and like last night tackle a 10 year old. In the 2nd half Gray was continually pointing outside him wanting Efe to come across and cover the overlapping wingback but Efe seemed oblivious to threat until it was too late, maybe the reason he's here and not playing at a higher level.

Iggy Pope
27-07-2018, 07:47 PM
I can't post it, but all over social wot have you there is a spellbinding photograph of his goal celebration last night. Possibly taken trackside, maybe a punter in the FF lower, but you'd think he had been photoshopped upside down against the backdrop of the East Stand in perfect light, impeccably athletic. It's looking like one of those iconic ER images in my opinion.

Can't help but love him.

B.H.F.C
27-07-2018, 07:50 PM
I can't post it, but all over social wot have you there is a spellbinding photograph of his goal celebration last night. Possibly taken trackside, maybe a punter in the FF lower, but you'd think he had been photoshopped upside down against the backdrop of the East Stand in perfect light, impeccably athletic. It's looking like one of those iconic ER images in my opinion.

Can't help but love him.

And to think it wasn’t even his goal!

Iggy Pope
27-07-2018, 07:53 PM
And to think it wasn’t even his goal!

Can't see how that might be but regardless, it takes nothing away from the artistry of subject and photographer.

SRHibs
27-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Can't help but love him.

Can’t you just copy and paste the link/save the photo and attach it?

Would really like to see this pic.

shetlandhibee
27-07-2018, 07:55 PM
I thought he was dreadful at the start of last season and when he had a horror show against Livi in the cup at home I suggested that was the time for Porteous to come in for him, and I was slaughtered for the very notion of chucking a kid in for one of our most high-profile players.

To be fair to Efe, from that moment on he had a superb season - he really upped his game. yes, he had the odd horror show along the way but these were few and far between and he was generally outstanding for us for most of last season.

For all he was brutal in the first half last night I thought he was excellent in the second, and with the right players in all positions around him I thought he recovered to have a really good game.

So far I'd say it's as if he's had bit of a hit or miss pre-season whilst he finds his feet, only in competitive games. I trust he'll come good again, but we really need him to put in a performance for 90 minutes next week.
word for word :top marks

Gibby the Hibby
27-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Efe has great defending attributes no doubt, its just a shame he needs to use them so much to stop an attack he has started when giving the ball away etc

also, his clearance from the shot, from asteras player on the left hand side of the box, when the cross came in he left the guy, and went into the middle of the goal,,leaving the guy to have the shot in the first place,
he should have marked him whilst the cross came in,,,so again, a good bit of defending, clearing it, but all down to his poor positioning in the firs place, frustrating as he can be immense without the blunders"

Iggy Pope
27-07-2018, 08:23 PM

I can't. Mrs Iggy shown me it on her phone and now doesn't know where it was. Facebook I think. I'm looking.....

Captain Trips
27-07-2018, 08:23 PM
I have realised there is just no point in having a go at him if you want him here.

He is going to cost us some goals and will score some. He will do some silly things and great things. I am prepared to live with that as I want him at club. It cannot be trained out him it's what he is.

Iggy Pope
27-07-2018, 08:39 PM

It's on the veritable Hibernian Fitsodjers FB page. A must for all Hibs veterans.
Hope the attachment works. But I'd love someone to show me how to do it better like the other guys do.

The Modfather
19-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Disclaimer I only listened to the game on the radio so not seen any of today’s game.

Sounded like he was at fault for the penalty. Is there a sensible debate, that isn’t simply the polar opposites of a “bomb scare” or “lucky to have him” to be had? Does he deserve to be in the team on form or is it time to think about dropping him for a few weeks?

I’ve said before that I think he’s a very good footballer, but don’t think he is a good defender. From what I’ve seen of him this season, and in mitigation the whole of the defence has had question marks individually and collectively this season as well as little protection, I think his basic defending has been well below acceptable a few times already.

So would you keep him in the team or give him a spell out of the team?

Hermit Crab
19-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Disclaimer I only listened to the game on the radio so not seen any of today’s game.

Sounded like he was at fault for the penalty. Is there a sensible debate, that isn’t simply the polar opposites of a “bomb scare” or “lucky to have him” to be had? Does he deserve to be in the team on form or is it time to think about dropping him for a few weeks?

I’ve said before that I think he’s a very good footballer, but don’t think he is a good defender. From what I’ve seen of him this season, and in mitigation the whole of the defence has had question marks individually and collectively this season as well as little protection, I think his basic defending has been well below acceptable a few times already.

Pretty sure it was him or possibly RP that suck a leg out and diverted the ball away from Laidlaw for the opener

WhileTheChief..
19-08-2018, 10:01 PM
Love him. Hope we can get him to stay longer.

1875godsgift
19-08-2018, 10:07 PM
It's on the veritable Hibernian Fitsodjers FB page. A must for all Hibs veterans.
Hope the attachment works. But I'd love someone to show me how to do it better like the other guys do.

That's an absolute beauty of a picture!

wookie70
19-08-2018, 10:56 PM
Pretty sure it was him or possibly RP that suck a leg out and diverted the ball away from Laidlaw for the opener
It was Efe's weak header to the edge of the box that gave them the chance to shoot in the first place. He seems to be pretty inconsistent at he moment but I can live with it as overall he has been a great signing and I don't think we could get any better

MWHIBBIES
19-08-2018, 10:59 PM
It was Efe's weak header to the edge of the box that gave them the chance to shoot in the first place. He seems to be pretty inconsistent at he moment but I can live with it as overall he has been a great signing and I don't think we could get any betterNo one on the edge of the box though, been happening for weeks. St Johnstone almost scored from it last week. We're leaving 3 up and neglecting a man on the edge.

wookie70
19-08-2018, 11:02 PM
No one on the edge of the box though, been happening for weeks. St Johnstone almost scored from it last week. We're leaving 3 up and neglecting a man on the edge.

Our set up for corners looks to be a hybrid man for man and zone. It never looks very good even before the ball is kicked with players unmarked and that glaring gap at the edge of the box you mention. Hopefully, this is down to lack of training time and new players. Lewis had to run off the front post to mark a player on the edge and Mallan had to drop back in to mark a man and leave the gap at the edge. Surely at this level every player knows where to be and who to mark.

neil7908
19-08-2018, 11:13 PM
I'm honesty not sure with Efe. What I do know is that our defence isn't right at the moment and we lose far too many sloppy goals.

On balance I'd give him a few games out of the team as right now I don't think his form is the best and I don't think anyone should be undropable.

Centre Hawf
19-08-2018, 11:28 PM
People blaming Efe for the first for a weak header and daring sticking a leg out to stop a shot? Interesting that no one picked up Mallan for getting no where near the man at the edge of the box. But he scored today so I suppose that will make it okay.

He was definitely at fault for the penalty though, needs to get rid then and there.

jacomo
20-08-2018, 12:27 AM
I think Efe is just such a key part of this Hibs team.

Yes he makes mistakes but he also brings the ball out from the back and scores a few goals.

He’s probably best in a back three but I’m intrigued by the idea of him playing defensive midfield. If we want to play with wingers maybe this is worth a try?

Man Down Under
20-08-2018, 01:17 AM
He's a confident risk taker, mostly it pays off. Occasionally it doesn't, but I think the good greatly outweighs the bad.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
20-08-2018, 02:42 AM
The man is a genius and I love him

Forza Fred
20-08-2018, 02:59 AM
The man is a genius and I love him

I love him too, but he is getting very expensive.

DetroitHibs
20-08-2018, 04:59 AM
I think Efe works best with both Hanlon, but especially Daz in a back three. Daz is on him all the time and keeps him in check and with what's going on around him. Young Porteous doesn't have the experience to do that, and is working on his own game.

Green Reaper
20-08-2018, 06:41 AM
He's a confident risk taker, mostly it pays off. Occasionally it doesn't, but I think the good greatly outweighs the bad.

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

Totally agree

Smartie
20-08-2018, 06:54 AM
It's not the overplaying that bothers me - tbh I love that he's so good on the ball, so calm, and not prepared to just lump it up the park.

It's the basic defending - tackling, blocking, winning headers and decision making that aren't great. To get the best from Efe you need 3 CH's on the field, one of them McGregor.

The best thing he did yesterday from a defensive point of view was when he wiped out their forward after Stevenson's hospital pass.

We will play teams this season who will not let us get away with what we have already - both punishing the mistakes with goals, and not allowing us the 3 goals we need to win every game.

jakedance
20-08-2018, 07:30 AM
I’m not as big a fan as some on here. I want my defenders to defend and he doesn’t give me much confidence that he’s not going to give something away every game. I don’t think he’s done much wrong for the first goal yesterday but his defending for the penalty was shocking. I can see I’m in the minority but I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives (the club will have done a proper analysis of his performance and can see that’s not the case though).

Winston Ingram
20-08-2018, 10:32 AM
He has had diabolical start to the season. Even the Faroese team caused him problems. Didn't see him v St Johnstone but I've seen the rest. Against Asteras in both legs he stank the place out. The first leg the wee boy on the left was just toying with him. It was almost as bad what Jordan Jones was doing to him last season. The mistake for their goal in the 2nd leg was amateur. He made the exact same mistake v Motherwell on the Sunday as well. THe only decent game i think he's had is v Molde at home but i'm not convinced they came here to attack.

He was rank yesterday as well. That mistake for the pen has just summed up his start to the season. Just totally brainless.

He didn't start the season great last year either but wasn't as bad as this. The good thing there was that he steadied and had a good season bar a couple of howlers v Killie.

One thing is for certain, we can't allow this to carry on.

SirDavidsNapper
20-08-2018, 10:33 AM
He badly needs Daz alongside him. Efe is an excellent player. Proved it time and again last season and he's been excellent again in certain games this season however if he doesn't have someone talking him through games he's prone to the odd mistake. Daz does that well.

Chic Murray
20-08-2018, 10:38 AM
I love him too, but he is getting very expensive.

I think you have to balance up how much Efe contributes to creating attacks, with his mistakes. He is composed going forward, and even chips in with the odd goal.

Tynie01011973
20-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Think Efe needs to learn the art of no nonsense defending. The penalty being one of them.

SquashedFrogg
He has had diabolical start to the season. Even the Faroese team caused him problems. Didn't see him v St Johnstone but I've seen the rest. Against Asteras in both legs he stank the place out. The first leg the wee boy on the left was just toying with him. It was almost as bad what Jordan Jones was doing to him last season. The mistake for their goal in the 2nd leg was amateur. He made the exact same mistake v Motherwell on the Sunday as well. THe only decent game i think he's had is v Molde at home but i'm not convinced they came here to attack.

He was rank yesterday as well. That mistake for the pen has just summed up his start to the season. Just totally brainless.

He didn't start the season great last year either but wasn't as bad as this. The good thing there was that he steadied and had a good season bar a couple of howlers v Killie.

One thing is for certain, we can't allow this to carry on.

How many games have we lost this season? Agree he needs a wee shake but he'll come good once team is settled.

Relax.

Sas_The_Hibby
It's Efe's decision-making - or lack of it - that's so frustrating. Prior to the penalty yesterday, he'd already given the ball away, quite unnecessarily, twice in the previous 10 minutes or so. One of these occasions led directly to a dangerous Ross Co. free kick, which Laidlaw just got his hand to, followed by a corner. Did he learn from this? - no: he then does exactly the same thing in his own penalty box.

Like many on here, I like Efe at times but it's his attitude he needs to sort out, it's far too casual at times.

Craig_HFC
20-08-2018, 11:12 AM
As far as I’m concerned, if Efe hasn’t dropped a shoulder and beat a man at the edge of our box at least 3 or 4 times during the 90 minutes then I go home disappointed.

Hermit Crab
20-08-2018, 11:27 AM
Lenny in the papers today telling him to cut out the mistakes.

wookie70
20-08-2018, 11:33 AM
It's not the overplaying that bothers me - tbh I love that he's so good on the ball, so calm, and not prepared to just lump it up the park.

It's the basic defending - tackling, blocking, winning headers and decision making that aren't great. To get the best from Efe you need 3 CH's on the field, one of them McGregor.

The best thing he did yesterday from a defensive point of view was when he wiped out their forward after Stevenson's hospital pass.

We will play teams this season who will not let us get away with what we have already - both punishing the mistakes with goals, and not allowing us the 3 goals we need to win every game.

I agree with this. His moments are few and far between when he has the ball it is his defending that worries me. He has a terrible tendency to go towards the ball just as a cross is about to be made. Any decent striker then peels away and a back post ball results in him being completely unmarked. We lose quite a few goals like this. The goal in Greece was another example of him trying to anticipate and getting it wrong. There is a time and a place, when your man could possibly score if you don't cut it out then that is not the time. Get goal side, stand up and defend while your mates get back to cover.

The plus side is when he drops the shoulder. That usually means we progress up the park in good possession and a midfielder is forced to come and confront Efe. Again, there is a time and a place, but he rarely costs us goals doing this and greatly aids our ability to attack.

All in all, as Lennon would say, he is what he is. I'd love him to work out the frailties in his game but that is unlikely at this stage. Could we get better for the same money, I doubt it.

Winston Ingram
20-08-2018, 12:27 PM
How many games have we lost this season? Agree he needs a wee shake but he'll come good once team is settled.

Relax.

That's the point. None but if he carries on like he is it won't be long. He's cost us at least 3 goals already this season, and it's been argued by others on here that it's 5. It's still only August.

Centre Hawf
20-08-2018, 12:40 PM
As far as I’m concerned, if Efe hasn’t dropped a shoulder and beat a man at the edge of our box at least 3 or 4 times during the 90 minutes then I go home disappointed.

Agreed. I can safely say he's one of the guys I pay my money to watch. He's entertainment and the frustrating moments are balanced by the excitement of wondering what will he do next when on the ball.

SquashedFrogg
20-08-2018, 12:48 PM
That's the point. None but if he carries on like he is it won't be long. He's cost us at least 3 goals already this season, and it's been argued by others on here that it's 5. It's still only August.

I could argue Porteous has cost us 3 goals this season. I could even argue Stevenson has too. In fact, if we defend as a team I could argue half our midfield have too.

You say it's still August. Why not wait and see how the team settles into the season? Just seems a slight over reaction if I'm being honest.

Despite a busy start to the season, players coming and going, disrupted training etc I think we are doing ok.

hughio
20-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Viva Efe!

:flag:

SJNB Hibby
20-08-2018, 01:01 PM
I’m not as big a fan as some on here. I want my defenders to defend and he doesn’t give me much confidence that he’s not going to give something away every game. I don’t think he’s done much wrong for the first goal yesterday but his defending for the penalty was shocking. I can see I’m in the minority but I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives (the club will have done a proper analysis of his performance and can see that’s not the case though).
I think his problem now is that he's too predictable
The opposition KNOW he won't batter it, so they are sticking on him and causing him to create his own problems
He would be better off if every so often he just battered it

KDY Hibs
20-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I think his positives outweigh his negatives. Got to live with it.

Agreed, if he didn't have his wee moments he wouldn't be here.....

cmcd
20-08-2018, 01:30 PM
The opposition KNOW he won't batter it, so they are sticking on him and causing him to create his own problems
And that was part of the problem yesterday. I lost count of the times the ball was battered up the park and straight yo a County player.Efi at least tried yo play football .As others have said if he didn't make mistakes he wouldn't be playing for Hibs

Winston Ingram
20-08-2018, 01:37 PM

He was 100% at fault for the pen

Smartie
20-08-2018, 01:42 PM

The worrying thing is the amount of joy teams have had pressing him already this season.

Unless we mix it up a bit, we're going to lose a few goals when teams press us (and particularly him) high up the park.

21-08-2018, 11:47 AM

:greengrin

I think we're part of the problem though. By cheering when he does it successfully we are just encouraging him to do it again the next time. This is why he causes at least one heart my mouth moment every game. :agree:

calumhibee1
21-08-2018, 11:50 AM
:greengrin

I think we're part of the problem though. By cheering when he does it successfully we are just encouraging him to do it again the next time. This is why he causes at least one heart my mouth moment every game. :agree:

I will never stop cheering Efe’s moments of brilliance, even if it does go to his head :greengrin

KWJ
21-08-2018, 11:51 AM
I think the team has defended poorly so far this season. Hanlon and Efe both appear out of form and Daz is injured putting pressure on Porteous. Flip side of that is Porteous benefits from the games.

I think Gray has to play and has been our best defender so far, Lewis has been fine.

Efe errors are far more glaring but it's a team game and I'm not surprised Lennon switched it up on Sunday. Be interesting to see how we go against Aberdeen.

Vini1875
21-08-2018, 02:37 PM
Aberdeen will be by far our toughest game this season, everyone has to be switched. Hopefully with a week to prepare Lennie will have them drilled. This is not a game for our keeper and centre halves to be dribbling the ball out of our 18 yard box. I am hoping this is a day for a bit of Aussie steel just in front of the defence.

CMurdoch
21-08-2018, 02:52 PM
I will never stop cheering Efe’s moments of brilliance, even if it does go to his head :greengrin

He is a wonderful athlete and power of nature.
When he does his thing it scares and exhilarates the fans in equal measure.
Most of the time he does great things and it makes us cheer and holler.
No other player at the club can match that.

The goal scored by the greeks in Greece and the weekends penalty were bad Efe and Lennon will have him playing under strict instruction on Saturday.
Drop him? Definitely not.

B.H.F.C
21-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Aberdeen will be by far our toughest game this season, everyone has to be switched. Hopefully with a week to prepare Lennie will have them drilled. This is not a game for our keeper and centre halves to be dribbling the ball out of our 18 yard box. I am hoping this is a day for a bit of Aussie steel just in front of the defence.

Bringing the ball out from the back is what gave us success last season.

If you start asking Efe just to lump it away then you’d be as well getting rid of Efe.

nonshinyfinish
21-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Christ, some people will blame Petrie for absolutely anything.

Captain Trips
21-08-2018, 10:38 PM
Efe Ambrose is a decent footballer he is not a very good defender.

Johnny_Leith
21-08-2018, 11:01 PM

That's why he's won international and domestic competitions, amassing over 50 caps for his country by the age of 29. Because he's not a very good defender and only a decent footballer.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 12:16 AM
That's why he's won international and domestic competitions, amassing over 50 caps for his country by the age of 29. Because he's not a very good defender and only a decent footballer.

He isn't a very good defender IMO regardless of caps. Plenty of defenders have far less caps than him for their country so is he better than all of them? He is not a better defender than Paul Hanlon who has hardly any caps.

As a defender for Hibernian not Nigeria not Celtic he IMO isn't very good at it and if he is a very good defender Hanlon and Mcgregor must be sublime going forward he offers more than them as a defender he offers less.

SRHibs
22-08-2018, 02:58 AM
As a defender for Hibernian not Nigeria not Celtic he IMO isn't very good at it and if he is a very good defender Hanlon and Mcgregor must be sublime going forward he offers more than them as a defender he offers less.

I genuinely have no idea what you’re trying to say here.

Dancehibs
22-08-2018, 06:14 AM
No one on the edge of the box though, been happening for weeks. St Johnstone almost scored from it last week. We're leaving 3 up and neglecting a man on the edge.
That was Mallan who didn’t pick up. Also he caused goal at St J. Similar incident to Efe against Ross County. Just clear your lines. I may have missed it but not seen a thread slating Mallan

Carheenlea
22-08-2018, 06:33 AM
Ambrose is one of the best players in the league, and we’re lucky to have him. Makes very few mistakes, but any mistake is jumped on by fans, and welcomed by a gleeful media who revel in labelling the guy as a clown since their over the top reaction to a high profile mistake in Europe for Celtic.

Johnny_Leith
22-08-2018, 07:51 AM
He isn't a very good defender IMO regardless of caps. Plenty of defenders have far less caps than him for their country so is he better than all of them? He is not a better defender than Paul Hanlon who has hardly any caps.

What, in your opinion, makes him a poor defender? Is it purely mistakes resulting in goals?

calumhibee1
22-08-2018, 08:07 AM
What, in your opinion, makes him a poor defender? Is it purely mistakes resulting in goals?

This is what I always wonder. Over the course of a season I’d like to see how many goals can be attributed to mistakes from each individual defender. I’d be surprised if Efe came out on top. When he’s not making mistakes he’s our best defender IMO.

Not In The Know
22-08-2018, 08:12 AM

The goal scored by the greeks in Greece and the weekends penalty were bad Efe and Lennon will have him playing under strict instruction on Saturday.

add Molde's second to that list.

Conj
22-08-2018, 08:18 AM
That was Mallan who didn’t pick up. Also he caused goal at St J. Similar incident to Efe against Ross County. Just clear your lines. I may have missed it but not seen a thread slating Mallan

If you watch the goal again, Mallan is picking up his man but there are two on the edge of the box and he leaves one to try to close down the other, who gets his shot away before Mallan gets to him. Ross County frequently went msn for man at the back against the 3 Hibs kept forward when they had corners and as a result had an extra man at the edge of the box

SirDavidsNapper
22-08-2018, 08:20 AM
If Efe were to leave i'd be gutted. Says it all for me really. I can take the odd mistake, his good work negates it over a season. When he's good (which is more often than not) he's one of the top players in the league.

Greenbeard
22-08-2018, 08:35 AM

That doesnae even rhyme! Try this.......

There is a big Hibby called Efe
Whose touch is often too heavy
He plays with some verve,
a breenge and a swerve.
But by Christ he can drive you to bevvy.

SquashedFrogg
22-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Ok. And you are a professional football manager? I'll stick with Lennon's opinion on Efe. I suspect he knows a little bit more than you my friend.

LancsHibs
22-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Now SJM has gone Efe Ambrose is probably the player we have in our squad who could/should be playing at a higher level than us!
I remember Sol Bamba used to come in for similar criticism.

Smartie
22-08-2018, 09:18 AM
Now SJM has gone Efe Ambrose is probably the player we have in our squad who could/should be playing at a higher level than us!
I remember Sol Bamba used to come in for similar criticism.

The "bombscare" Bamba stuff mainly came from his Dunfermline days. One dodgy game at RB against Dundee United aside he was a very consistent player who seldom made mistakes for us, and he has deserved his good career since leaving us.

Ambrose at his best is a magnificent player, but I wouldn't mind betting that Ambrose has been culpable for more goals against Hibs this season alone than Bamba was in his whole time at the club.

You watch Ambrose and think he could/ should have the ability to play at a higher level but nobody will be wanting to take him off our hands on current form.

Captain Trips
22-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Ok. And you are a professional football manager? I'll stick with Lennon's opinion on Efe. I suspect he knows a little bit more than you my friend.

Are you a professional manager? Please make sure then you never pass judgement on any players then if you are not.

R'Albin
22-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Professional football managers can have incorrect judgments on players as well. I remember these kind of posts when the likes of Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher were managing us.

It's a discussion board and the poster made his point fairly.

jacomo
22-08-2018, 12:48 PM
The "bombscare" Bamba stuff mainly came from his Dunfermline days. One dodgy game at RB against Dundee United aside he was a very consistent player who seldom made mistakes for us, and he has deserved his good career since leaving us.

Ambrose at his best is a magnificent player, but I wouldn't mind betting that Ambrose has been culpable for more goals against Hibs this season alone than Bamba was in his whole time at the club.

You watch Ambrose and think he could/ should have the ability to play at a higher level but nobody will be wanting to take him off our hands on current form.

They are quite similar.

I remember a few gasps of alarm from the stands when Sol would go on one of his sorties up the park. Personally I loved them.

SquashedFrogg
22-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Professional football managers can have incorrect judgments on players as well. I remember these kind of posts when the likes of Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher were managing us.

It's a discussion board and the poster made his point fairly.

And so did I.

Merely pointed out that I trust the views of an experienced football manager. Struggle to see how you can compare our current manager with Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher though.

Sure, mamagers make mistakes but I think Lennon has more than demonstrated that he knows what he's doing.

Johnny_Leith
22-08-2018, 02:47 PM
This is what I always wonder. Over the course of a season I’d like to see how many goals can be attributed to mistakes from each individual defender. I’d be surprised if Efe came out on top. When he’s not making mistakes he’s our best defender IMO.

I agree. It was the point I was going to make of I received a response to my query as to why he's a poor defender. Our players will have dips in form, make mistakes and cost us goals and points. It happens, and we can debate their merits on these kind of platforms but when there's blanket statements like "he's a poor defender of" they should be challenged.

Paisley Hibby
22-08-2018, 04:24 PM
Ambrose is one of the best players in the league, and we’re lucky to have him. Makes very few mistakes, but any mistake is jumped on by fans, and welcomed by a gleeful media who revel in labelling the guy as a clown since their over the top reaction to a high profile mistake in Europe for Celtic.
We'll said. At his best he's top class. And even with his mistakes he's still preferable to the alternatives available to us.

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Bamba and Ambrose have something similar in common, they both were part of a defence that finished 4th in the top division, and thats despite both being bombscares? :confused:

Strange eh?

O'Hanlon, Murdock, Dikoh, and Ryan bloody McGivern, now they were ****in bombscares.

Smartie
22-08-2018, 04:42 PM
We'll said. At his best he's top class. And even with his mistakes he's still preferable to the alternatives available to us.

I'm not totally convinced.

Ambrose is the best footballer, and if we're going to play 3 at the back and play out of defence, he's important.

McGregor, Hanlon and Porteous are all much better defenders.

If Efe gets his act together then he's the best of the bunch. If he continues the way he's started the season then he'll be out the team and won't get back in.

Winston Ingram
23-08-2018, 09:47 AM
I'm not totally convinced.

Ambrose is the best footballer, and if we're going to play 3 at the back and play out of defence, he's important.

McGregor, Hanlon and Porteous are all much better defenders.

If Efe gets his act together then he's the best of the bunch. If he continues the way he's started the season then he'll be out the team and won't get back in.

I'm not even sure this is true. He's the most technically gifted that's for sure but he's undersatnding of when to play and when not to is way off.

One thing that strikes me about him is that he doesn't have a desire to defend.

He got ripped a new one v Asteris at ER. The wee boy on the left beat him everytime, which wasn't difficult as he Efe committed himself everytime. The thing that struck me most wasn't just is inability to learn from this, it was the fact it didn't seem to bother him. I've seen defenders getting skinned twice by the same boy and making sure it doesn't happen again. Efe didn't look remotely bothered as the same boy nipped passed him for the umpteenth time.

There seems to be some football snobbery amongst some Hibs fans re Efe. As they see him as 'footballing defender', if you question him, you clearly don't understand football.

Well that's pish. All the great footballing defenders can defend. All the great footballing defenders do make the odd mistake but generally know when to play and when to put their foot through it. Efe he doesn't. He'll happily wander into the daftest areas with the ball and lose it.

The issue i have with Efe is he can't defend. You can guarantee McInnes's plan this weekend, like pretty much everyone we've faced this season, will be to attack down our inside right channel, get in behind our wing back and isolate Efe. Their forwards will be told to press him constantly as inevitably, he will lose it in a daft position.

J-C
23-08-2018, 10:21 AM
I'm not even sure this is true. He's the most technically gifted that's for sure but he's undersatnding of when to play and when not to is way off.

He got ripped a new one v Asteris at ER. The wee boy on the left beat him everytime, which wasn't difficult as he Efe committed himself everytime. The thing that struck me most wasn't just is inability to learn from this, it was the fact it didn't seem to bother him. I've seen defenders getting skinned twice by the same boy and making sure it doesn't happen again. Efe didn't look remotely bothered as the same boy nipped passed him for the umpteenth time.

There seems to be some football snobbery amongst some Hibs fans re Efe. As they see him as 'footballing defender', if you question him, you clearly don't understand football.

Well that's pish. All the great footballing defenders can defend. All the great footballing defenders do make the odd mistake but generally know when to play and when to put their foot through it. Efe he doesn't. He'll happily wander into the daftest areas with the ball and lose it.

The issue i have with Efe is he can't defend. You can guarantee McInnes's plan this weekend, like pretty much everyone we've faced this season, will be to attack down our inside right channel, get in behind our wing back and isolate Efe. Their forwards will be told to press him constantly as inevitably, he will lose it in a daft position.

The fact that Lennon has come out and questioned his defending and decision making shows that he still needs to concentrate on the one thing he's payed to do, defend. All too often Efe wants to play his way out of defence instead of doing the simple stuff, also his lack of discipline in positioning at times due to concentration levels. I'm not a huge Efe fan due to his too many "Efe" moments, when he's good he's good but when he's bad, jeez, he can be awful, as has been said if he didn't have flaws he wouldn't be here.

Sean1875
23-08-2018, 10:25 AM

All absolutely spot on. Efe gives me the fear.

Hibernia&Alba
23-08-2018, 10:26 AM
We all know what you get with Efe Ambrose: unpredictability. One day he can be excellent; shocking the next. I wasn't pleased when he signed, due to his high profile mistakes, but he's had more good days and bad for us; fair play to him. Yes, he still has those days when he looks like a new born giraffe stumbling around, but it's part of the package. If he was Poalo Maldini, he wouldn't be at Hibs.

Alfiembra
23-08-2018, 10:41 AM
I've had some experience working with Nigerians over the years and I think there may be cultural element to the way Efe plays. As a nation, IMHO, they are easy going with very much a mañana/chill, outlook on things. It's just the way they are, and urgency, again IMHO, is a word they just don't get.

Winston Ingram
23-08-2018, 01:11 PM
We all know what you get with Efe Ambrose: unpredictability. One day he can be excellent; shocking the next. I wasn't pleased when he signed, due to his high profile mistakes, but he's had more good days and bad for us; fair play to him. Yes, he still has those days when he looks like a new born giraffe stumbling around, but it's part of the package. If he was Poalo Maldini, he wouldn't be at Hibs.

This is fine if you're a striker or a winger. It's the last thing you want as a centre back.

emerald green
23-08-2018, 05:48 PM
Ambrose is a decent player, but his one major flaw it seems to me is his inability to fully concentrate for the whole 90+ minutes. For a defender that can be very costly.

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2018, 05:52 PM
Efe doesn't make any more mistakes than McGregor or Hanlon, dunno why he is being singled out. Part of the best defence we've had in years and his distribution is often the only thing stopping is from being a hoofball team.

SirDavidsNapper
23-08-2018, 05:54 PM
Efe doesn't make any more mistakes than McGregor or Hanlon, dunno why he is being singled out. Part of the best defence we've had in years and his distribution is often the only thing stopping is from being a hoofball team.

I agree 100%

Johnny_Leith
23-08-2018, 08:57 PM
This is fine if you're a striker or a winger. It's the last thing you want as a centre back.

But wingers and strikers unpredictable is predictable, but a centre half as unpredictable is unpredictable 😉

West lower
23-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Mackay - Steven has given Efe a roasting a couple of times of late. Whoever is playing on our right midfield needs to make sure Efe is not left isolated on Saturday. Whether that is Gray or Boyle.

Smartie
23-08-2018, 09:20 PM

He makes many more mistakes and is a far weaker defender.

Efe is good on the ball though, and I agree about the hoofball bit - his ability to play is central to our style of play as a team, and our effectiveness during the second half of last season.

I think he's going to be targeted more than ever this season and he's going to cost us loads more goals before he gets dropped though.

majorhibs
23-08-2018, 09:25 PM
I've had some experience working with Nigerians over the years and I think there may be cultural element to the way Efe plays. As a nation, IMHO, they are easy going with very much a mañana/chill, outlook on things. It's just the way they are, and urgency, again IMHO, is a word they just don't get.

Efe is a brilliant player for Hibs, drives forward every chance he gets, & creates plenty for us, I worked 3 yrs Nigeria big deal typecast, I think we gethave got a top plAyer above Hibs level, had good time & mair coming, blouses depart now, this is a better than usual signing due to Lennon & let’s

The Modfather
23-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Efe is a brilliant player for Hibs, drives forward every chance he gets, & creates plenty for us, I worked 3 yrs Nigeria big deal typecast, I think we gethave got a top plAyer above Hibs level, had good time & mair coming, blouses depart now, this is a better than usual signing due to Lennon & let’s

Is your post written in Nigerian? 🤔

J-C
23-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Is your post written in Nigerian? 🤔

Haha I had to read it twice until I realised it made no sense at all 😂

zitelli62
23-08-2018, 09:54 PM
If efe didn't make mistakes he would be an English premiership player but he does that's why he's here I just love the fact you don't know what he will do next he is not just robot centre half who has been told to kick the ball as hard as he can he loves to try and play football doesn't always come off but at least he tries that's entertainment to me.

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2018, 10:08 PM
He makes many more mistakes and is a far weaker defender.

Efe is good on the ball though, and I agree about the hoofball bit - his ability to play is central to our style of play as a team, and our effectiveness during the second half of last season.

I think he's going to be targeted more than ever this season and he's going to cost us loads more goals before he gets dropped though.

Does he actually make many more mistakes or are you just saying that? I can think of 2 poor mistakes by McGregor that cost us goals this season already and he's been injured.

Smartie
23-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Does he actually make many more mistakes or are you just saying that? I can think of 2 poor mistakes by McGregor that cost us goals this season already and he's been injured.

A lot is made of him being caught in possession when trying to overplay - I honestly don't really think this is the case.

It is the simple basic defending that is his problem - lapses in concentration, errors in judgment. There was one time on Sunday that appeared innocuous but it drove me mad - he let the man he was marking jump and have a free header at goal unchallenged - it just so happened that the ball went miles wide. If it had gone in, Efe would have been crucified, and this is the type of thing he does time and again - attempts interceptions and gets it wrong, gets nutmegged, gets skinned, gets caught out of position.

Every defender is going to give one away every so often, McGregor is no different. But I honestly think I see many more from Efe than other defender we've ever had, by a long distance.

You either set up a team to accommodate him, or you get him out of there. He's on a hiding to nothing this weekend, as Aberdeen have forced him into ropey performances before and I'm sure they will target him this week (as I think Ross County and Asteras already have this season).

He is brilliant on the ball though, so it is a tough decision as to whether or not you take the rough with the smooth

Lancs Harp
23-08-2018, 10:31 PM
Been a bit of a star for me Efe, but at the end of the day the team is constantly evolving, constantly moving forward, if we picked up another defender, who of our current back three or four would I expect to move out of the team to make way? Im afraid it would be Efe. He has loads of ability skill wise, but makes far too many bad decisions, is out of position way to often and cant cope with a speedy player running at him. He was an upgrade when he first joined but we're moving on and Efe cant keep up.

jacomo
23-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Been a bit of a star for me Efe, but at the end of the day the team is constantly evolving, constantly moving forward, if we picked up another defender, who of our current back three or four would I expect to move out of the team to make way? Im afraid it would be Efe. He has loads of ability skill wise, but makes far too many bad decisions, is out of position way to often and cant cope with a speedy player running at him. He was an upgrade when he first joined but we're moving on and Efe cant keep up.

Bit harsh.

Remember that Celtc emptied him cos he wasn’t good enough and they are still a shambles at the back!

MWHIBBIES
23-08-2018, 11:16 PM
A lot is made of him being caught in possession when trying to overplay - I honestly don't really think this is the case.

It is the simple basic defending that is his problem - lapses in concentration, errors in judgment. There was one time on Sunday that appeared innocuous but it drove me mad - he let the man he was marking jump and have a free header at goal unchallenged - it just so happened that the ball went miles wide. If it had gone in, Efe would have been crucified, and this is the type of thing he does time and again - attempts interceptions and gets it wrong, gets nutmegged, gets skinned, gets caught out of position.

Every defender is going to give one away every so often, McGregor is no different. But I honestly think I see many more from Efe than other defender we've ever had, by a long distance.

You either set up a team to accommodate him, or you get him out of there. He's on a hiding to nothing this weekend, as Aberdeen have forced him into ropey performances before and I'm sure they will target him this week (as I think Ross County and Asteras already have this season).

He is brilliant on the ball though, so it is a tough decision as to whether or not you take the rough with the smooth

He has also had good games vs Aberdeen and McGregor has had poor ones, so has Hanlon. Efe giving away more goals than any defender we've ever had is simply not true. I'm not even sure he gives away the most of our current defenders. I can think of many times Gray, McGregor, Hanlon and Lewis have cost us goals.

Lancs Harp
23-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Bit harsh.

Remember that Celtc emptied him cos he wasn’t good enough and they are still a shambles at the back!

Just my opinion mate. If we were looking to improve {as we should always seek to do) the back three or four he would be the first under my microscope. Who would be yours?

Really dont see my opinion expressed as being harsh. Time doesnt stand still.

Winston Ingram
24-08-2018, 05:58 AM
Mackay - Steven has given Efe a roasting a couple of times of late. Whoever is playing on our right midfield needs to make sure Efe is not left isolated on Saturday. Whether that is Gray or Boyle.

That’s the problem with a 352. As soon as Slivka or SDG went forward v Asteris, the ball was immediately played into the gap behind them to get at Efe. Kilmarnock were the same with Jordan Jones in the 2-2 and the 5-3. What a ripping he gave Efe in those games.

You can guarantee McInnes has plans for GMS to do exactly the same.

we are hibs
24-08-2018, 06:21 AM
I I reckon Lennon being back on the touchline will benefit efe.

JimBHibees
24-08-2018, 06:29 AM
I I reckon Lennon being back on the touchline will benefit efe.

Maybe not Efe will be able to hear what he is saying about him. :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
24-08-2018, 07:07 AM
Let's be honest. If Efe didn't make the occasional "Efe" he'd be nowhere near Hibs or the Premiership. Sometimes (a lot of the time) he's head and shoulders above everyone on the park. I'm sure Lennon will get him back on track. He strikes me as a player who needs the occasional bollocking.

R'Albin
24-08-2018, 07:28 AM
And so did I.

Merely pointed out that I trust the views of an experienced football manager. Struggle to see how you can compare our current manager with Fenlon, Calderwood and Butcher though.

Sure, mamagers make mistakes but I think Lennon has more than demonstrated that he knows what he's doing.

I'm not comparing them ability wise, I'm just saying those posts have always been on here, and those guys proved that sometimes experienced football managers don't have a clue.

I think we all completely trust Lennon but that doesn't mean we have to agree with every decision he makes. This place would be pretty boring if that were the case.

Captain Trips
24-08-2018, 07:49 AM
I'm not comparing them ability wise, I'm just saying those posts have always been on here, and those guys proved that sometimes experienced football managers don't have a clue.

I think we all completely trust Lennon but that doesn't mean we have to agree with every decision he makes. This place would be pretty boring if that were the case.

Indeed. The manger does know more than us but we still know stuff ourselves. If I was to use this argument that Neil Lennon knows better than you who to pick would I then therefore not be able to say a word about any team matters at all myself?

I do not agree with that formation?
Lennon knows more than me though so must be wrong.

I do not agree with that substition.

I think xyz should have started.

BTW any manager could be inserted into this not just NL.

Ryan69
26-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Was reading an article with Clarence Seedorf(Current Nigeria Manager)
He has dropped all Nigeria players playing in China,and i believe in Middle East)
Basically saying that if money is your motivation...your not required.

Could be a good opportunity for big Efe to get a look in I would think. :)

calumhibee1
26-08-2018, 02:57 PM
He has dropped all Nigeria players playing in China,and i believe in Middle East)

Ridiculous decision imo.

The Sundance Kid
26-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Unfortunately for Efe, Seedorf is Cameroon manager

matty_f
26-08-2018, 03:27 PM
Ambrose is nowhere near as bad a defender as some folk would have you believe. He's a very capable defender, but I think this gets overlooked for some reason - maybe it's the reputation he has, which I don't think it's deserved.

He makes mistakes, and he's made a few this season which have unfortunately cost us goals, but I think more often than not he does things well.

He is a critical player for us though, the amount of attacks he starts is unreal, and he's key to breaking lines (I think that's the term for it these days) when teams are sitting in against us by bringing the ball out of defence.

The good he does for the team far outweighs the odd mistake imho.

Hibbyradge
26-08-2018, 03:31 PM

:tee hee:

nickwhibs
26-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Ambrose is nowhere near as bad a defender as some folk would have you believe. He's a very capable defender, but I think this gets overlooked for some reason - maybe it's the reputation he has, which I don't think it's deserved.

He makes mistakes, and he's made a few this season which have unfortunately cost us goals, but I think more often than not he does things well.

He is a critical player for us though, the amount of attacks he starts is unreal, and he's key to breaking lines (I think that's the term for it these days) when teams are sitting in against us by bringing the ball out of defence.

Spot on :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2018, 06:06 PM

Must hold my hands up and agree with you, Matty. I didn't want him and said so on here when he signed, but on balance his contribution has been positive. His loss of concentration at times drives me mad, and he's made some poor errors, but he's also had some outstanding matches. It's hit and miss and you never quite know which Efe will turn up, but, as I said earlier in the thread, that's why he plays for Hibs and not Man City. For a club our size he's proved an asset.

Ryan69
26-08-2018, 06:11 PM

****...so he is. Dow. 😂

Hibernia&Alba
26-08-2018, 06:13 PM
****...so he is. Dow. 😂

It's close enough :greengrin