PDA

View Full Version : Whittaker

SDavey1992
26-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Rip up his contact now. He should retire if he had any self respect..

Northernhibee
26-07-2018, 07:39 PM
I'm looking forward to the eight identical Whittaker threads tonight. Will make for good reading.

we are hibs
26-07-2018, 07:41 PM
Surely there can't be anyone STILL defending him? He's murder. So slow.

supermcginn
26-07-2018, 07:44 PM
He is utter gash so so bad

dalkeith stu
Can't beleive we have 2 years left of this!!!

Heisenberg
We gave him a 3 year deal too. Dread to think how slow he’ll be at the end of his contract!

SDavey1992
26-07-2018, 07:45 PM
I'm looking forward to the eight identical Whittaker threads tonight. Will make for good reading.

8 threads isn't enough.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2018, 07:47 PM
He isn't picking himself.

hhibs
26-07-2018, 07:48 PM
8 threads isn't enough.

Has to be asked what does Whittaker have on Lennon,the only explanation for his continued selection.

SDavey1992
26-07-2018, 07:49 PM

That's why I said retire, rather then get picked.

Sir David Gray
26-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I don't like singling individuals out for criticism but that first half performance from him was pathetic.

Considering he's our most experienced player, it was indefensible to be honest.

Col_0762
26-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Spot on mate!!

JimboHibs
26-07-2018, 08:21 PM

Aye brilliant.

Fuzzywuzzy
26-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Must make a player feel great to hear ironic cheering or booing when subbed off.

Danderhall Hibs
26-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Must make a player feel great to hear ironic cheering or booing when subbed off.

:agree: a real confidence booster for any player.

Northern Hibby
26-07-2018, 08:43 PM
I'd rather be pro Gray rather than anti Whittaker, not sure he continues to get left on the bench?

21sMay
26-07-2018, 08:58 PM
very poor tonight but asked to play a position he just isn't capable of playing .still has something to offer as a squad player when we have injuries at full back but that's about it

adhibs
26-07-2018, 08:59 PM
:agree: a real confidence booster for any player.

Confidence isn't the issue so I doubt it matters.

Danderhall Hibs
26-07-2018, 09:01 PM
Confidence isn't the issue so I doubt it matters.

Pretty sure it’s not going to help.

Carheenlea

Anyone guilty of that can't call themselves a proper Hibs supporter.

Vault Boy
I'd rather be pro Gray rather than anti Whittaker, not sure he continues to get left on the bench?

This.

Dashing Bob S
Players get old and performance declines. Happens to them all. Lennon sees him in training and there’s no doubt he was once a quality player. But you trust the manager to do the right thing and I doubt we’ll see much of Whitty this season.

OxoHibby
26-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Wasn't there tonight so tin hat on but great long passer. Short pass not so good

dp00
26-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Shouldn’t be in midfield , second choice RWB behind gray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neil7908
26-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Shouldn’t be in midfield , second choice RWB behind gray

Agree. A utility player as cover for injuries is fine but he seems to be getting shoehorned into the team.

J-C
26-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Very poor again, legs and sharpness of thought have gone, back up only.

jax67
26-07-2018, 09:10 PM

Spot on! I hated the cheer when Whittaker was subbed.
Hate hearing our own players get booed from our fans. He must warm the bench though, SDG is back!!

lord bunberry
26-07-2018, 09:12 PM
He had a poor game but that really annoys me. It must be the worst thing for a players confidence that can happen. He’ll have a part to play in our season and he should be treated better imo.

Diclonius
26-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Needs a rest at the very least. Not up to it.

hibIBZ
26-07-2018, 09:14 PM
A solid player in his day... unfortunately that day has passed and I don’t see him being able to improve. The warning signs were there at the end of last season

Allant1981
26-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Needs a rest at the very least. Not up to it.

a rest? we have only played 3 games

bingo70
26-07-2018, 09:15 PM
I’ve no axe to grind with Whittaker and I hope he still has something to offer us however I hope tonight has proved the Whittaker in midfield experiment just hasn’t worked.

Lennon normally picks these things up as quick as we do, unlike former managers that stay stubborn to prove a point, so I imagine Whittaker will be on the bench next week.

FRes Hibbie
26-07-2018, 09:19 PM
I have sympathy for him, he was a very decent player for us in his day, earned us a good fee and never had a bad word to say about us - despite not being a boyhood hibby.

However, he wasn't good enough to be a central midfielder when he graduated to the first team a decade ago. Now what little pace he had is gone and he's not a good right back and he's still not a good enough midfielder to be a first pick.

He'll be one of our higher earners and was given a long term contract - that was a poor decision from the club. Slivka and Bartley should be miles ahead of him for a start.

Bishop Hibee
26-07-2018, 09:23 PM
Lennon insists on playing him as a holding midfielder which is plain daft. He’s a right wing back or right back in a back four and he’s behind SDG on form this season.

BoltonHibee
26-07-2018, 09:25 PM
Lennon insists on playing him as a holding midfielder which is plain daft. He’s a right wing back or right back in a back four and he’s behind SDG on form this season.

Right wing back??

HelmutSchlong
26-07-2018, 09:26 PM

Rip up your season card now, it’s not the laddies fault he’s being picked

Bishop Hibee
26-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Right wing back??

That or right back are the only positions he could play and if his form is rank he shouldn’t play in any position. Hope that’s clear.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Finished now, finished weeks ago, finished when he came. Hibs should either sell him (I know) or pay him off.

AZhibee
26-07-2018, 09:28 PM

Concur.

Leith Green
26-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Slow , ponderous, and has the reactions of a stoned robot. Nothing against the guy , a great player in his day , finished now though..

IGRIGI
26-07-2018, 09:31 PM
a rest? we have only played 3 games

😂

Malthibby
26-07-2018, 09:33 PM
I have sympathy for him, he was a very decent player for us in his day, earned us a good fee and never had a bad word to say about us - despite not being a boyhood hibby.

However, he wasn't good enough to be a central midfielder when he graduated to the first team a decade ago. Now what little pace he had is gone and he's not a good right back and he's still not a good enough midfielder to be a first pick.

He'll be one of our higher earners and was given a long term contract - that was a poor decision from the club. Slivka and Bartley should be miles ahead of him for a start.

Unfortunately that more or less sums it up, part of the GG, good guy but we are much better when he's not playing. Sorry Whitty.
GG

scotia44
26-07-2018, 09:40 PM
He is utter gash so so bad

Harsh... he is not a midfielder lennon to blame for that 1st half slivka ain't a wing back either hopefully that experiment is now over

JIm
26-07-2018, 09:44 PM
Harsh... he is not a midfielder lennon to blame for that 1st half slivka ain't a wing back either hopefully that experiment is now over

Was really poor again. The ironic cheering when he was subbed though was really dissapointing.

CraigourHibee
26-07-2018, 09:47 PM

Agreed, Gray was great when he came on, Whittaker had a poor night but still has something to offer as a squad player.

Think Lennon got tactics wrong, Slivka can’t play wide right, corrected it HT and it paid dividends

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Was really poor again. The ironic cheering when he was subbed though was really dissapointing.

I agree, the cheering was horrible. The lad is finished at this level and he’ll be hurting. The cheers when it was announced he’d gone off was poor.

Smartie
26-07-2018, 09:50 PM
He was absolutely hopeless tonight, it was a shame for him, and it wasn't a surprise that such a simple change brought us back into the game.

I maintain he still has something to offer against the weaker SPFL teams at home, but against better or more physical teams he's been found wanting too often.

He looks understandably bereft of confidence and his head is down.

wookie70
26-07-2018, 09:51 PM
I’ve no axe to grind with Whittaker and I hope he still has something to offer us however I hope tonight has proved the Whittaker in midfield experiment just hasn’t worked.

Lennon normally picks these things up as quick as we do, unlike former managers that stay stubborn to prove a point, so I imagine Whittaker will be on the bench next week.

Pre-match I would imagine there plenty in the ground worried about Whittaker in midfield and letting us play the whole first half doesn't suggest to me that Lennon sees things quick. He did change it at Half time but let's be honest the lassie in the pie stand would have made that change.
Lennon is unbelievably loyal to some players so it wouldn't surprise me if Whittaker features regularly this year.

I'm not sure those cheering were all anti Whittaker but more a sign they were relieved that the obvious change was being made.

Blaster
26-07-2018, 09:52 PM
I agree, the cheering was horrible. The lad is finished at this level and he’ll be hurting. The cheers when it was announced he’d gone off was poor.

Possibly a loan to Livingston with Kenny Miller??

BSEJVT
26-07-2018, 09:53 PM

That definitely wasn’t Hibs class

His family will also have had to sit through that and that would have made uncomfortable listening for them

Smartie
26-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Pre-match I would imagine there plenty in the ground worried about Whittaker in midfield and letting us play the whole first half doesn't suggest to me that Lennon sees things quick. He did change it at Half time but let's be honest the lassie in the pie stand would have made that change.
Lennon is unbelievably loyal to some players so it wouldn't surprise me if Whittaker features regularly this year.

I'm not sure those cheering were all anti Whittaker but more a sign they were relieved that the obvious change was being made.

One of the best things about tonight though was how obvious the improvement was when Lennon made a simple change.

There can be no justification for Lennon repeating that mistake again. It would be beyond incompetent and into negligent territory if he even thought about it for the second leg.

With those players available, they simply cannot be selected in those positions ever again.

RossScott1991
26-07-2018, 09:59 PM
He’s finished, not his fault. Can’t stop the clock

Skol
26-07-2018, 10:01 PM
I was never a fan of Whitaker first time around. What we saw tonight we saw all too often before. Unfortunately he has lost the good parts of his game that made him worth picking. He is caught sleeping all the time and his passing is just criminal at times.

madhatter
26-07-2018, 10:02 PM
I criticise Lennon more than Whittaker, they were clearly too agile and fast (pretty much all of them). He knows Whittaker is slow now and took a risk. I don’t blame Whittaker for being selected.

I credit Lennon for changing things.

For those that are critical of Whittaker, I think we can all admit, Lennon could have taken Efe off as well at half time, his defensive play in the first half was abysmal.

No player for Hibs deserves to get booed or cheered when being subbed off, that’d destroy his confidence.

Tug Wilson
26-07-2018, 10:06 PM
I saw Gray get called into the dressing room at half time. Thought that there were 3 possible changes.

1. SDG for Efe. Then either Gray or Whittaker to back 3. If Whittaker then Gray to RWB and Slivka to Centre Mid.

2. SDG for Slivka. Straight swap.

3. The change that was made. SDG for Whittaker and Slivka to CM.

Didn't cheer when it was announced that Whittaker was coming off but was relieved that the right change had been made.

Whittaker slowed the game down, always took a touch too many and generally sucked the energy out our midfield.

Slivka and McGinn with Mallan behind them gave us drive, determination and lots of skill in the middle of the park. A joy to watch.

Borderhibbie76
26-07-2018, 10:16 PM
very poor tonight but asked to play a position he just isn't capable of playing .still has something to offer as a squad player when we have injuries at full back but that's about itI don't like slating individual players either but what position is he capable of playing then?? He can't play full back coz he has no pace and can't tackle to save himself, tonight proved he can't play in the middle so where can he play??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Libby Hibby
26-07-2018, 10:18 PM
His performance was poor 1st half but he never has, never been and never will be a defensive centre midfielder.

Play Slivka central and either Gray, Boyle or Whittaker on the right.

Borderhibbie76
26-07-2018, 10:20 PM

I'm not sure those cheering were all anti Whittaker but more a sign they were relieved that the obvious change was being made.This he seems to have a blind spot where Whittaker is concerned...I and many others posted when the team was announced why was he in the starting 11 over SDG who was probably our best player IN Faroes??. Not sure Lennon won't continue to pick Whitty which concerns me a lot

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:20 PM

That was embarrassing. Those who do it are out and out balloons - cheer the man who's coming on to replace him but leave it at that. Whittaker was poor but there was no lack of effort, he just struggles with the pace of games these days. He deserves much more respect than he gets from many supporters though.

Prof. Shaggy
26-07-2018, 10:25 PM
I'm stunned.

I get home after watching another fantastic Hibs come-back and the top thread is a bunch of folk slagging Steven Whittaker!

What do you actually go to watch football for?

gaz1875
26-07-2018, 10:26 PM
That was embarrassing. Those who do it are out and out balloons - cheer the man who's coming on to replace him but leave it at that. Whittaker was poor but there was no lack of effort, he just struggles with the pace of games these days. He deserves much more respect than he gets from many supporters though.

He never came out for the second half so never left the field to a loud cheer?

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:35 PM
He never came out for the second half so never left the field to a loud cheer?

Eh?? When it was announced he was being replaced there were loud ironic cheers. Pathetic, on a memorable night when the support was generally superb.

gaz1875
26-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Eh?? When it was announced he was being replaced there were loud ironic cheers. Pathetic, on a memorable night when the support was generally superb.

Was he on the pitch at the time?

maturehibby
26-07-2018, 10:38 PM
Spot on! I hated the cheer when Whittaker was subbed.
Hate hearing our own players get booed from our fans. He must warm the bench though, SDG is back!!

Thought the cheering was for the introduction of David Gray back and fit and a fans favourite
Steven Whittaker was played out of position by the Manager and it did not work
LENNY at fault here by getting the starting line up wrong
But apart from the two goals astrras were never a threat and only then because of poor goalkeeping

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Was he on the pitch at the time?

Of course he wasn't - presumably he was heading up to watch the 2nd half from the stand. I'm no sure what point you're trying to make.

wookie70
26-07-2018, 10:42 PM

They may have been aimed at Lennon rather than Whitts.

Sammy7nil
26-07-2018, 10:43 PM
People are going way over board here. He had a poor game with the odd flash of being good. THREE defenders got taken out by a simple ball for the first. The keeper was diabolical for the first. Mallan was woeful at the second yes give Whits a hard time it u must but let's not get silly and single only him out.

gaz1875
26-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Of course he wasn't - presumably he was heading up to watch the 2nd half from the stand. I'm no sure what point you're trying to make.

My point is, the substitution was announced and there was a loud cheer. He never ran off to one. The cheer was for bringing on a right back which we were sadly missing.

O'Rourke3
Thought the cheering was for the introduction of David Gray back and fit and a fans favourite
Steven Whittaker was played out of position by the Manager and it did not work
LENNY at fault here by getting the starting line up wrong
But apart from the two goals astrras were never a threat and only then because of poor goalkeeping

This inasmuch as SDG coming on was a good move. Slivka wasted on the right despite his putting in a couple of decent balls first half. Whittaker break up play was good his distribution was awful.

Keith_M
Sorry, but the guy is a waste of a jersey. Time to get rid.

JIm
26-07-2018, 10:47 PM
My point is, the substitution was announced and there was a loud cheer. He never ran off to one. The cheer was for bringing on a right back which we were sadly missing.

Nonsense. Lots of ironic cheering round me when it happened .

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:49 PM
They may have been aimed at Lennon rather than Whitts.

That's a matter of interpretation, but the player will assume they were aimed at him, you'd imagine. There is one reason and one reason only for fans to treat a Hibs player in that fashion, imo - a lack of application. That isn't an accusation that can be aimed at Whittaker. The 2nd half team should have started the game, but that's not Whittaker's fault. Still think he could be a useful sub under certain circumstances, but not a first eleven man these days, sadly.

allezsauzee
26-07-2018, 10:50 PM
To be fair to Whittaker and Lennon. Whitty put in a few very good performances as the holding midfielder towards the end of the season and he will generally get much more time on the ball playing against Scottish clubs. However he is a player who gets slated as soon as he puts in a poor performance, a bit like Lewis used to. He wasn't the only one who was disappointing in the first half. I do think that we should forget about Slivka being played wide. He is a totally different player through the middle. Reminiscent of a young Pat McGinlay!

gaz1875
26-07-2018, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=JIm;5481370]Nonsense. Lots of ironic cheering round me when it happened .[/QUO

Really?

SideBurns
26-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Nonsense. Lots of ironic cheering round me when it happened .

Aye. There was a completely separate cheer for SDG's introduction. Only those with selective hearing could have missed the ironic cheering when it was first announced that SW was coming off.

hfc rd
26-07-2018, 10:53 PM
I’ve lost faith in him as well now and would probably think it’s best if he moved on to someone like a Partick Thistle. Looks well off the pace now.

cleanyman
26-07-2018, 10:54 PM
I'd throw Whittaker on for the last 15 minutes of games.

He's 34 and has been a great player for Hibs and Rangers but he's not a starter now. No shame in that but Lennon surely has to see that? We can easily use him as a utility player this season.

ballengeich
26-07-2018, 10:54 PM

I agree that his best playing days look past, but wasn't the justification for the length of contract that he'd be gradually moving into a coaching role?

Captain Trips
26-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Very poor tonight, not interested in crowds reaction I am interested in how the players perform and he was very poor.

scooby
26-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Finished now, finished weeks ago, finished when he came. Hibs should either sell him (I know) or pay him off.

Dreadful tonight, but wtf was Lennon thinking with the team selection and formation in the first half. Second half we were so much better.

Stuart93
26-07-2018, 11:07 PM
Was critical of him starting before the game and rightly so after tonight's performance. He's past it anyone who can't see that is kidding themselves on.

I feel sorry for him because I loved whitty during his first spell at us.

scooby
26-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Sorry, but the guy is a waste of a jersey. Time to get rid.

He's dead in the water if anyone gets past him, not what we need now. Shame, but his best days are definitely behind him.

Pretty Boy
26-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Firstly the ironic cheering was ridiculous,. Whittaker was really poor tonight but he didn’t deserve that. No player does.

Whittaker was one of my favourite players in his 1st spell at Hibs, I never bought into the ‘can’t defend’ chat. He was certainly better going forward but he was a fine player all round who made us good money and left on decent terms. It gives me no pleasure to see him struggle but he looks past it, certainly as a starter.

I said earlier on that if we are going to insist on sticking with the same set up as last year then it is essential we replace Dylan. Whittaker is not the man for that role nor can he play the role Bartley played in protecting the back line.

Godsahibby
26-07-2018, 11:25 PM
I just struggle to think of where he fits into our team as a starter or even back up. He offers very little.

calumhibee1
26-07-2018, 11:28 PM
I'm stunned.

I get home after watching another fantastic Hibs come-back and the top thread is a bunch of folk slagging Steven Whittaker!

What do you actually go to watch football for?

I’m presuming you hadn’t read the bedwetters thread by this point :greengrin

Spike Mandela
26-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Whitty deserves our support like any player and like any player can go through a bad patch. I am willing to bet his experience and undoubted talent will come in useful for us a some point this season. We are sometimes too quick to write players off.

calumhibee1
26-07-2018, 11:30 PM
Feel bad saying this, met him a few times and he’s a lovely guy but he’s so far past it that I doubt he’s good enough for anyone in the top league IMO. His lack of pace and urgency is up there with the worst I’ve seen in a long time.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 11:31 PM
Whitty deserves our support like any player and like any player can go through a bad patch. I am willing to bet his experience and undoubted talent will come in useful for us a some point this season. We are sometimes too quick to write players off.

To quick? He’s been shocking since he arrived! He’s had a couple of games where he done alright but he’s been miles and I mean miles off the player he was. He’s finished at this level and no amount of defending him will change this. Hibs should try offload him. It’s a real shame as he was a cracking player years ago for us. It’s sad to see him run around the pitch like a drunk chasing a balloon.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 11:32 PM
Feel bad saying this, met him a few times and he’s a lovely guy but he’s so far past it that I doubt he’s good enough for anyone in the top league IMO. His lack of pace and urgency is up there with the worst I’ve seen in a long time.

Bang on, he’s not good enough for top flight football and certainly not good enough for European football.

madhatter
26-07-2018, 11:33 PM
He is a great backup player. Lennon dropped Whittaker in it a little tonight. Possibly we didn’t know how quick and agile most of their players were? I actually think Bartley would struggle in the centre against that opposition. They do quick flicks and nutmegs (just ask Efe) and Bartley isn’t rapid. Whittaker has had a few great games since returning, he’s getting on a bit now, he’ll know that.

Whittaker did give the ball away often but let’s be fair to him the team balance was all wrong first half, Slivka didn’t know where to be and that restricted Whittakers passing options. Again that’s not a criticism of Slivka, the system didn’t suit the players, just as upfront isn’t Boyle’s best position.

I thought we were going in with a 541 with Boyle and Stevenson as wingbacks, couldn’t believe it when I saw the team...

Also in fairness, I would have subbed Efe on first half performance over Whittaker. I’m glad we didn’t but Efe was horrendous first half.

H18 SFR
26-07-2018, 11:33 PM
Such a shame because he's had such a fantastic career. Some may have watched the Gary Neville interview when he discussed how he knew he was finished at the top level, I'm sure Steven is asking himself the same questions.

I know some on her won't appreciate this comment, but he's simply not the level of player we need in order to challenge for 2nd/3rd/4th.

lord bunberry
26-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Bang on, he’s not good enough for top flight football and certainly not good enough for European football.
That’s not true. I wouldn’t have him in the starting line up, but we’d be hard pressed to find a back up player that would be able to play in so many positions. In the course of a season he’ll be an important player for us.

Brightside
26-07-2018, 11:38 PM
That’s not true. I wouldn’t have him in the starting line up, but we’d be hard pressed to find a back up player that would be able to play in so many positions. In the course of a season he’ll be an important player for us.

We could all play in many positions. He just not at this level any more.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 11:40 PM

See this is what I don’t get. You are saying we’d find it hard to find a back up player to play so many positions. I’d rather have guys who play positions they can play. Even the young lads could do better. Whitty may as well play in goals doesn’t mean he’ll be good. He’s simply finished no matter where he plays.

SeanWilson
26-07-2018, 11:41 PM
Not read any of this thread and not trying to weigh in to arguments, but I've been saying it for weeks/ all night tonight ... Sentiment with SW is away now, he's utter mince and on far to many occasions, the weak link in our team.

Thecat23
26-07-2018, 11:41 PM

Beat me to it. I don’t get that thinking at all. I can play in many positions but I’m not good at any of them.

lord bunberry
26-07-2018, 11:46 PM
See this is what I don’t get. You are saying we’d find it hard to find a back up player to play so many positions. I’d rather have guys who play positions they can play. Even the young lads could do better. Whitty may as well play in goals doesn’t mean he’ll be good. He’s simply finished no matter where he plays.
The problem with that is that we can’t afford to have quality back up in every position and sometimes the young guys just aren’t ready or aren’t good enough. He was shown up badly tonight, but he’s also had decent games for us. As I said he shouldn’t be starting, but he will at some point be needed. Personally I would have played Bartley tonight, when you look at how the game went in the first half he would have been perfect to do his thing and win the ball back and rough them up.

lord bunberry
26-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Not as a starter, but let’s not get carried away and say he’s finished just yet.

B.H.F.C
26-07-2018, 11:50 PM
Dreadful tonight. I hope I never see him in midfield for Hibs ever again. Would never be in my first 11 but still think he can provide decent enough cover at full back which is actually the position he made a career out of. .

madhatter
26-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Regardless of opinions, I think we should cut the guy some slack. He’ll be giving his all in every game. We also don’t know what he’s doing behind the scenes and whether he is passing on any advice to younger players etc.

He played a small part last season and we challenged for 2nd for a time. He is by no means our best player, he is definitely at the lower end of that spectrum.

He’s like Laidlaw for me, a back up. Let’s be honest Laidlaw is actually the back up of the back up, the main reason for that is injuries and some bad mistakes he’s made. We have squad players for a purpose, only coaches and Lennon know each player’s merits. Maintaining a happy dressing room is crucial as well, I’d argue Whittaker is unlikely to complain when he doesn’t get played every week, I hope so at least.

Diclonius
26-07-2018, 11:55 PM
Dreadful tonight. I hope I never see him in midfield for Hibs ever again. Would never be in my first 11 but still think he can provide decent enough cover at full back which is actually the position he made a career out of. .

Agree. That should end the experiment of Whittaker in midfield. He's a right back, he performs best at right back, he should play there when Gray is injured or suspended.

Barman Stanton
27-07-2018, 12:00 AM
Whittaker played midfield plenty for Rangers. Even played midfield in the UEFA Cup final. Don’t think it’s the position, he just looks done unfortunately.

Smartie
27-07-2018, 07:04 AM
He is a great backup player. Lennon dropped Whittaker in it a little tonight. Possibly we didn’t know how quick and agile most of their players were? I actually think Bartley would struggle in the centre against that opposition. They do quick flicks and nutmegs (just ask Efe) and Bartley isn’t rapid. Whittaker has had a few great games since returning, he’s getting on a bit now, he’ll know that.

Whittaker did give the ball away often but let’s be fair to him the team balance was all wrong first half, Slivka didn’t know where to be and that restricted Whittakers passing options. Again that’s not a criticism of Slivka, the system didn’t suit the players, just as upfront isn’t Boyle’s best position.

I thought we were going in with a 541 with Boyle and Stevenson as wingbacks, couldn’t believe it when I saw the team...

Also in fairness, I would have subbed Efe on first half performance over Whittaker. I’m glad we didn’t but Efe was horrendous first half.

To be fair to Whittaker, I also thought once or twice when he "dithered in possession" that it was hard to spot what he was realistically meant to do - he was short of options.

Of course, players like McGinn and McGeouch were superb at holding onto possession in those situations but Whittaker struggled to.

jakedance
27-07-2018, 07:10 AM
He’s awful in midfield, slow and ponderous in possession. He just doesn’t know how to protect the ball or have the pitch awareness to pick out a pass quickly. If he’s given time he can spray around some lovely balls but who’s going to give him that time in the SPL? They’ll be all over him.

Unfortunately he looks like he’s past it. I was a huge fan back in the day but this looks like a bad signing. I hope I’m wrong this season but it just doesn’t look like it.

Ozyhibby
27-07-2018, 07:20 AM
I agree that his best playing days look past, but wasn't the justification for the length of contract that he'd be gradually moving into a coaching role?

Not from anyone at the club, just by people on here trying to excuse his performances. He’s been brutal since he came back, it’s just taken some folk a year to work it out.

Heisenberg
27-07-2018, 07:25 AM
Hopefully Lennon has realised that Whittaker is finished now too. There’s no way he should be anywhere near our first team.

Hibs90
27-07-2018, 07:27 AM
You could tell from that game at Dundee when he got the pish ripped out him. It's sad but he is finished. If he wants to stick around help the youngsters or do some coaching then fine but honestly he wouldn't even be in the matchday squad for me.

Ozyhibby
27-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Whittaker as a back up is a nightmare now because he is no longer trusted to play in defence so we have to move a midfielder out there to cover for him.
The guy is finished and I’m amazed people can’t see this. He needs to be loaned out, probably down to the championship (maybe Livi could take him though) in order to free up a bit of his wage. He’s not good enough for Hibs.

SirDavidsNapper
27-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Cup winning legend and he's had a fantastic career but i feel he needs to be used sparingly now.

Cameron1875
27-07-2018, 08:05 AM
It's tough to comprehend some people attempting to cut him some slack.

Unfortunately he's hardly going to retire out of self respect. Easy to do when you are Gary Neville on millions a year.

It's up to the management to see the bleeding obvious and drop him so lets hope that happens.

Allant1981
27-07-2018, 08:11 AM
It's tough to comprehend some people attempting to cut him some slack.

Unfortunately he's hardly going to retire out of self respect. Easy to do when you are Gary Neville on millions a year.

It's up to the management to see the bleeding obvious and drop him so lets hope that happens.

dont think he will struggle with the electricity bill when he retires

allmodcons
27-07-2018, 08:18 AM
To quick? He’s been shocking since he arrived! He’s had a couple of games where he done alright but he’s been miles and I mean miles off the player he was. He’s finished at this level and no amount of defending him will change this. Hibs should try offload him. It’s a real shame as he was a cracking player years ago for us. It’s sad to see him run around the pitch like a drunk chasing a balloon.

Poor post. You give him grudging praise "done alright" when we all know he turned in some really good performances last season and then complain he's not the player he was when he left before! Of course he's not or, quite simply, he wouldn't be at Hibs now. He's here because he's not as good as he was that's where we are at. When he was at the top of his game we couldn't afford him. Hibs were terrible first half last night, Whitty included, but the overreaction on here is just embarrassing. You post some really good transfer information. Stick to the day job.

calumhibee1
27-07-2018, 09:04 AM

I get what you’re saying but I think the idea he can actually play these positions isn’t correct. He gets played in numerous positions that much is true, but he can’t play them all to the standard we need. Not even particularly close to it.

jacomo
27-07-2018, 09:09 AM

Every good squad needs a utility player or two who can cover a number of positions. You only have 6 outfield subs.

we are hibs
27-07-2018, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't have him as a back up either. What difference does it make if he starts or comes into the side once in a blue moon? His legs are gone so he wouķd struggle as a back up too. Playing "numerous positions" does not make you a good player or worth keeping. He's taking up a wage that could be spent elsewhere

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Poor post. You give him grudging praise "done alright" when we all know he turned in some really good performances last season and then complain he's not the player he was when he left before! Of course he's not or, quite simply, he wouldn't be at Hibs now. He's here because he's not as good as he was that's where we are at. When he was at the top of his game we couldn't afford him. Hibs were terrible first half last night, Whitty included, but the overreaction on here is just embarrassing. You post some really good transfer information. Stick to the day job.

He’s finished it’s simple as that. How anyone thinks he can still do a job is beyond me. Even as a squad player he’s no better than the young lads coming through. Lennon has this wrong and he should try to offload him asap.

Eyrie
27-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Every good squad needs a utility player or two who can cover a number of positions. You only have 6 outfield subs.

I think that's the only argument for keeping Whittaker this season.

He's no longer good enough to start for us at right wing back or in central midfield but could fill in for the last 10-15 minutes against lesser opposition (ie bottom six).

The criticism from the stands or on here should be irrelevant to a player of his experience compared to how he himself regards his own performances. Whittaker will be disappointed by his last two games and thinking hard about what he is still capable of doing better. For me, it would be best if he decided to retire or move on next summer.

allmodcons
27-07-2018, 12:33 PM
He’s finished it’s simple as that. How anyone thinks he can still do a job is beyond me. Even as a squad player he’s no better than the young lads coming through. Lennon has this wrong and he should try to offload him asap.

I'd be surprised if your judgement of a player is better than that of Neil Lennon. Time will tell.

Captain Trips
27-07-2018, 12:43 PM
I'd be surprised if your judgement of a player is better than that of Neil Lennon. Time will tell.

There are people on here who will have and IMO correctly called out NL and every manager we have had on maybe how they lined up a team at the start of a match. Do we know more than NL? No we don't. Has NL made mistakes that have been noticed by folk here? Absolutely.

NL knows more than me but on this occasion I think SW is not and has nor performed well enough and would not be concerned if he was moved on. If NL thinks differently good it is up to him.

snooky
27-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Be interesting to see the results of of poll on who "agrees/doesn't agree" with the catmeister.
A current player's worth is not a nice thing to have a poll on though, so better not I suppose. :coffee:

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 12:49 PM
If he starts in Greece then the travelling fans are getting ripped off. The team that started the 2nd half should be the one that starts the game.

superfurryhibby
27-07-2018, 12:54 PM
If he starts in Greece then the travelling fans are getting ripped off. The team that started the 2nd half should be the one that starts the game.

Totally agree with your second sentence. Your first is unecessary.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 01:02 PM

Lennon will know more than any of us no doubting that. Managers though do get things wrong. Rowan Vine is a prime example. Fans knew after couple of games he was brutal but you’ll also often find many managers are stubborn.

If folk still think Whitty has a future at Hibs then the bar they are setting is seriously low.

snooky
27-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Don't like saying it but I never rated him much first time around and he's regressed since then.

Borderhibbie76
27-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Don't like saying it but I never rated him much first time around and he's regressed since then.Nope was never a huge fan myself mate even 1st time around....he played right full back and couldn't tackle a fish supper...still can't. That said I don't support our own fans ironic cheering it's in really poor taste. But Whittaker is not good enough and needs to either move on or hang up the boots and take up a coaching role with us

HoboHarry
27-07-2018, 01:41 PM
I wonder how many different ways .netters can find to help inform us that Whittaker isn't good enough. Must be at least 200 more to go I'm sure......

:rolleyes:

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Are you happy with his below par performances like last night? :rolleyes:

essexhibee
27-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Is he on a hefty wage do we know?

Stevie Reid
27-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Would be good if people kept their criticisms of him on here. The reaction of many of the fans to him in the ground last night was really poor.

Hibee Ryan
27-07-2018, 01:55 PM
He was very poor last night but he isn't a CDM, honestly baffled me when you see Slivka playing right back and Whittaker playing centre midfield. It clearly wasn't working and Lennon could've swapped the two round into their natural positions and I think you would have seen a massive change in both of them.

Harsh on Whittaker as he was being asked to play a role that isn’t his against a very goodopposition that recognised his weakness and pressed him every single time hegot the ball meaning he had even less time than normal. Did get caught out ofposition a couple of times and just think that’s more to do with being anatural right back.

Still think he can still be a useful squad player thisseason either covering at right back or at right centre back if we arestruggling with injuries throughout the season.

HoboHarry
27-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Are you happy with his below par performances like last night? :rolleyes:
If I say I wasn't happy does that mean I have to stamp my feet, scream hysterically then post "he's pish" repeatedly on Hibs.net? If so I'll give it a miss and continue to give my full support to every player who wears our jersey and trust NL.

Brightside
27-07-2018, 01:58 PM
He was very poor last night but he isn't a CDM, honestly baffled me when you see Slivka playing right back and Whittaker playing centre midfield. It clearly wasn't working and Lennon could've swapped the two round into their natural positions and I think you would have seen a massive change in both of them.

Harsh on Whittaker as he was being asked to play a role that isn’t his against a very goodopposition that recognised his weakness and pressed him every single time hegot the ball meaning he had even less time than normal. Did get caught out ofposition a couple of times and just think that’s more to do with being anatural right back.

Still think he can still be a useful squad player thisseason either covering at right back or at right centre back if we arestruggling with injuries throughout the season.

He can't play at RB though. Cant recover.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 02:31 PM
If I say I wasn't happy does that mean I have to stamp my feet, scream hysterically then post "he's pish" repeatedly on Hibs.net? If so I'll give it a miss and continue to give my full support to every player who wears our jersey and trust NL.

No but you can respect other peoples opinions on the player.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Wonder if Lennon will play him in Greece, as he’s suspended for the Motherwell game, and it will keep someone fresh for the 1st league game

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Wonder if Lennon will play him in Greece, as he’s suspended for the Motherwell game, and it will keep someone fresh for the 1st league game

I sincerely hope not.

WeeRussell
27-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Totally agree with your second sentence. Your first is unecessary.

I concur. Our weakest link in the first half but there's always some have to be ridiculous about things.

G B Young
27-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Agreed.

I was a big fan when he was here first time round. No, he was never the greatest defender but he made up for it with the way he linked up so well in attack and at times he played like an extra winger. With Murphy bombing up the pitch on the other side it was a breath of fresh air to watch the way that young Mowbray team played.

Like most I was surprised he was given a three-year deal last season but IMHO bringing back a guy with his experience was no bad thing as we approached our first season back in the top flight, especially with Gray's injury record. As you say, he turned in more decent performances than most are giving him credit for and bearing in mind what a good season we had he can't have been consistently awful. Personally I think he'll still prove to be a useful member of the squad this season.

J-C
27-07-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't get the ironic cheering or booing, helps not a bit.

Whittaker was never a great full back as his tackling was always poor but he was a very decent attacking wingback in his day, good crosser anf decent passing and due to this could step in to the middle if needed. Take away the pace , the crossing and the passing and you've got a slow player past his best who's still a poor tackler, not what we need right now.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 02:49 PM

I’m sure most support every player, I know I do when I’m in the ground. Can I vent how bad he is on here? Yes it’s a football forum. Sorry if this upsets you.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 02:49 PM
I concur. Our weakest link in the first half but there's always some have to be ridiculous about things.

It's hardly ridiculous. SW was not a good defender first time round although he was good going forward. This time round he is neither!

HoboHarry
27-07-2018, 02:56 PM
I’m sure most support every player, I know I do when I’m in the ground. Can I vent how bad he is on here? Yes it’s a football forum. Sorry if this upsets you.
Upsets me? Hardly - just find it tedious to hear the same thing dozens and dozens of times. I can give some credit to those who can actually explain why a player was poor but I will continue to dismiss the opinions of those who tell us ad-nauseam that he's rubbish with nothing to back it up. By the way "past it" doesn't qualify so long as NL (who I trust more than any of the keyboard coaches on this site) keeps picking him.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 03:00 PM
One of the lads who sometimes comes along with me. Left at HT last night, as he was disgusted with the cheers fellow Hibs supporters gave when Whittaker was announced as being subbed. Said he’s not going back, but we’ll wait and see about that!

He wasn’t having a great game, we all know that, but we really shouldn’t be picking on our own players

Lago
27-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Upsets me? Hardly - just find it tedious to hear the same thing dozens and dozens of times. I can give some credit to those who can actually explain why a player was poor but I will continue to dismiss the opinions of those who tell us ad-nauseam that he's rubbish with nothing to back it up. By the way "past it" doesn't qualify so long as NL (who I trust more than any of the keyboard coaches on this site) keeps picking him.
Well said.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:06 PM

Ok I’ll give my reasons. He’s to slow now and loses the ball when in possession often. His defending is beyond poor as he can’t track his man. Check previous highlights of times he’s lost his man for examples. On top of this he can’t run now which is a shame as he used to bomb forwarded a lot. Finally his passing is bad, no idea how as that’s pretty simple but he seems to lose focus of where he is at times.

Overall Lennon can pick him as much as he wants, doesn’t mean I’m wrong or thousands of others are either. As I’ve said before, managers can be stubborn at times and sometimes players come in they are crap they leave. It’s no ones fault but I’ll bet you all the money in the world Whitty hardly plays much this season once we have new players in.

My_Wife_Camille
27-07-2018, 03:07 PM
One of the lads who sometimes comes along with me. Left at HT last night, as he was disgusted with the cheers fellow Hibs supporters gave when Whittaker was announced as being subbed. Said he’s not going back, but we’ll wait and see about that!

He wasn’t having a great game, we all know that, but we really shouldn’t be picking on our own players
There’s been a lot of talk about overreacting and hysterical behaviour on here recently but that is the most over dramatic thing I’ve ever heard of at the football. Seriously, he was that disgusted by the cheers that he actually walked out and said he wouldn’t be back?

Complete and utter drama queen imo. Absolutely hilarious behaviour.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:09 PM

How the hell did he manage to sit through the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher eras if that last night upset him!! :confused:

Ozyhibby
27-07-2018, 03:11 PM
There are people on here who will have and IMO correctly called out NL and every manager we have had on maybe how they lined up a team at the start of a match. Do we know more than NL? No we don't. Has NL made mistakes that have been noticed by folk here? Absolutely.

NL knows more than me but on this occasion I think SW is not and has nor performed well enough and would not be concerned if he was moved on. If NL thinks differently good it is up to him.

Neil Lennon will know exactly how bad Whittaker is but he has to operate in the real world with regards to his contract.
It’s not a case of knowing more than Lennon, it’s just that he can’t get rid of him as easily as we can say it.
Lennon knows though, make no mistake. He rarely plays him and when he does he no longer plays him at full back.
Folk defending him saying he is a handy squad player forget he is not on squad player wages. He was signed to be a first pick and will be getting paid accordingly. We really need to move him on.
Every club makes mistakes with signings. It’s how quickly we can recognise it and change it that is important.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 03:11 PM
How the hell did he manage to sit through the Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher eras if that last night upset him!! :confused:

You have a point, but it’s still not an excuse to give certain players a particularly hard time

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:14 PM
You have a point, but it’s still not an excuse to give certain players a particularly hard time

Never should a player receive boos at HT like that. We all know he had a mare but I turned to guys behind me and said that was brutal. Vent on forums social media or whatever but never do that in the ground imo.

I’m still surprised to read someone was so upset they left the game though, that’s just weird!

Big_Franck

Agreed. Not sure if leaving the stadium was the right response though, what if we had all done that?

Apart from brutal lack of pace and his slow reaction times what annoys me most with Whittaker is his insistance at trying long cross field balls on his left foot. The majority of the time he shanks it straight to the nearest opposing player who then counter attack. Its almost like he's trying to show how two footed he is. Hope to god he stops attempting those long passes on his left foot coz it drove me insane last year.

Hermit Crab

Billy, many players have had it tight in the past from fans both on here and at games for long periods of time as well.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Neil Lennon will know exactly how bad Whittaker is but he has to operate in the real world with regards to his contract.
It’s not a case of knowing more than Lennon, it’s just that he can’t get rid of him as easily as we can say it.
Lennon knows though, make no mistake. He rarely plays him and when he does he no longer plays him at full back.
Folk defending him saying he is a handy squad player forget he is not on squad player wages. He was signed to be a first pick and will be getting paid accordingly. We really need to move him on.
Every club makes mistakes with signings. It’s how quickly we can recognise it and change it that is important.

Good post, we have laughed at Hearts about some of they’re signings and how they are stuck with them. Mistakes do happen and it is about sorting it ASAP.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Billy, many players have had it tight in the past from fans both on here and at games for long periods of time as well.

I know, but I thought last night was particularly bad. Wonder how his confidence is this morning

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:20 PM
I know, but I thought last night was particularly bad. Wonder how his confidence is this morning

The boos at the HT whistle was because we were 0-2 down but I can't say I really noticed the ironic cheers that much however was this not because SDG had been brought on?

My_Wife_Camille
27-07-2018, 03:27 PM
I trust Neil Lennon = I Don’t have the knowledge or ability to analyse a performance objectively and form my own opinion so I’ll Just say I agree with the manager, that way I’ll always be right.

It’s actually quite funny that you’re having a go at people for not backing up their opinion when your own view only goes about as deep as ‘Lennon did it so I agree’. At least they have the capabilities of forming an opinion instead of just hiding behind someone else’s.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:30 PM
The boos at the HT whistle was because we were 0-2 down but I can't say I really noticed the ironic cheers that much however was this not because SDG had been brought on?

Trust me it was clear as day HC. Wasn’t nice!

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:31 PM

I was still spitting feathers at HT to notice then.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Haha yeah I was close to that as well.

Billy Whizz
27-07-2018, 03:33 PM

You need to tell me how you do that

B.H.F.C
27-07-2018, 03:34 PM

I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that Lennon rarely plays him?

He started every post split game last season and all the European games so far.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:34 PM

First you need to eat a whole chicken.

WeeRussell
27-07-2018, 03:35 PM
It's hardly ridiculous. SW was not a good defender first time round although he was good going forward. This time round he is neither!

I agree - what made him particularly useful in that team was his athleticism and energy at full back. He was never that technically gifted and now has lost a lot of his mobility. I definitely don't think he should have been playing the position he was last night.

However I stand by that it's ridiculous to say fans are being ripped-off if he plays next week.

WoreTheGreen
27-07-2018, 03:36 PM

Head first

WeeRussell
27-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Have to say I only noticed the applauding of SDG as he was called from his half time warm-up (at which point we hadn't heard who he was replacing.. even if the majority of us expected it to be Whittaker)

Dinkydoo
27-07-2018, 03:38 PM
At this stage i'd rather give one of the double-winning youth players an opportunity.

There isn't a single position he can play in without being a liability and him beside Effe in defence is an absolute disaster. As we have learned a few times from last season.

IncredibleHibee
27-07-2018, 03:41 PM

I was one who let out a big ‘YEESSS’ but it was a instinctive reaction, it wasn’t to giv it tight to Whittaker. I thought the very first game he played on his return that he was completely done and performance after performance it just got worse and to my indignation Lennon kept playing him and ppl on here defending him so it was a yell of pure relief more than anything. I was complaining to my brother when I seen the line up that gray should be starting and slivka to play in the middle.

IncredibleHibee
27-07-2018, 03:42 PM
At this stage i'd rather give one of the double-winning youth players an opportunity.

There isn't a single position he can play in without being a liability and him beside Effe in defence is an absolute disaster. As we have learned a few times from last season.

100% agree. Porteous should be given a chance. Efe to drop out.

scooby
27-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Definitely ironic cheering around us, he was murder last night though. There were several occasions where he had his back to the ball, hoping nobody would pass it to him.

The main issue for me is wtf Lennon was thinking when he came up with the starting formation. He's got history of making strange choices for games at Tynecastle too!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thecat23
27-07-2018, 03:49 PM
I was one who let out a big ‘YEESSS’ but it was a instinctive reaction, it wasn’t to giv it tight to Whittaker. I thought the very first game he played on his return that he was completely done and performance after performance it just got worse and to my indignation Lennon kept playing him and ppl on here defending him so it was a yell of pure relief more than anything. I was complaining to my brother when I seen the line up that gray should be starting and slivka to play in the middle.

Btw what a difference In Slivka when he was moved to the middle. He’s lost out on the right!

sadtom
27-07-2018, 03:55 PM
SW was poor last night and there are no doubts his best days are behind him.
Saying that, his best days were at a far higher level than your average Hibs player.
Think its too early to write him off.
On current form he does not deserve to be starting imho however its not impossible that that could change.
Always struck me as a 'model pro' and no doubt is very experienced so i would imagine he is a good example in what is a fairly inexperienced squad.
9 times out of ten i think he is steady if no spectacular.
I think his versatility is now his strongest suit. When you are operating with as small a squad as ours then having a player who can do a job in a number of roles is pretty invaluable.
He could still be an important player for us this season, though i agree that we probably are overspending wages wise, if his performances dont merit an automatic starting slot, which currently they dont.
Agree with all those who have expressed their dissappointment at the ironic 'cheering' or abuse. It aint gonna make him play better. For me giving stick to individuals is for the workplace/boozer/school. Not somewhere it can actually undermine their performance, and thereby the teams. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Never understood it.
When and wherever he plays he'll get my full support.

lucky
27-07-2018, 03:56 PM

Makes a change from spouting ***** G

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Definitely ironic cheering around us, he was murder last night though. There were several occasions where he had his back to the ball, hoping nobody would pass it to him.

The main issue for me is wtf Lennon was thinking when he came up with the starting formation. He's got history of making strange choices for games at Tynecastle too!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He also put the ball out of play several times with wayward passes.

Hermit Crab
27-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Makes a change from spouting ***** G

Pots and kettles eh K. :wink:

Eyrie
27-07-2018, 06:02 PM

As I said earlier in this thread, a player of Whittaker's experience will know himself that he had a bad game last night, so criticism in the ground or on here will have relatively little effect.

CLASS OF 72 -73
27-07-2018, 06:09 PM
As I said earlier in this thread, a player of Whittaker's experience will know himself that he had a bad game last night, so criticism in the ground or on here will have relatively little effect.

Not much passes Lennon he must see something he adds to the team but a layman watching he is one of a couple of weak links.

Smartie
02-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Whilst Bogdan was the main man when it came to redemption tonight, I thought Whittaker played his part in our win.

A good few of us raised eyebrows when he went on for Daz, but without doing anything spectacular he managed to be in the right place at the right time to get a good, solid defensive connection on the ball several times tonight when we were under the cosh, and helped us see the game out.

Well done son, your confidence must have been rock bottom after last week. It's a squad game and you made a significant contribution to getting us through in the end.

Famous Fiver
02-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Well done Stephen.

Top man!!!

Gmack7
02-08-2018, 08:29 PM
well done indeed

hfc rd
02-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Tbh I crapped myself the moment he came on but he slotted in really well and won a lot of aerial duals when Asteras where throwing the kitchen sink at us.

Well played Whitts!

Sammy7nil
02-08-2018, 09:22 PM
As I said last week was a HUGE over reaction by many on here. Well done Stephen

Viva_Palmeiras
02-08-2018, 09:25 PM

Preseason is not the time to state that someone is finished...

blackpoolhibs
02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Legs have gone, a car crash of a player apparently, yet good enough to play a part in getting us through tonight?

Well done SW :top marks

Pretty Boy
02-08-2018, 09:28 PM
He won one header in the last minute that had he lost out we were in real trouble as that wee nippy young lad was man for man in behind waiting on the flick on. He got up early and got a strong clearing header away.

He’s not a starter these days but to come on and shore it up in a game like tonight then he’s an option. Similar to Bartley I reckon in that we’ll see both of them in short cameos in the season ahead after the fancy players have done their jobs.

PatHead
02-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Thought he did really well tonight. His experience shone through. Never panicked, did exactly what was required.

JohnM1875
02-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Strange thread to bump if you ask me. Is it worth highlighting that a player didn't make a mistake? Don't think anything he he was involved with was out of the ordinary.

IncredibleHibee
02-08-2018, 09:34 PM
a bit bizzare to be singing someones praises for getting on for 10 mins and not having a howler.... He is done as a player as far as I am concerned but his experience might be good to have in the group. No point sticking the boot in for the sake of it so I will stop there.

allmodcons
02-08-2018, 09:37 PM
a bit bizzare to be singing someones praises for getting on for 10 mins and not having a howler.... He is done as a player as far as I am concerned but his experience might be good to have in the group. No point sticking the boot in for the sake of it so I will stop there.

Oh the irony.

matty_f
02-08-2018, 09:38 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Smartie
02-08-2018, 09:39 PM
He had a howler last week and copped a fair bit of abuse as a result, some of it justified.

Tonight he played his part in us seeing out a tough game and securing a huge result. His experience saw him in the right place time after time, and he did exactly the job that he was there to do.

I think it's fair to acknowledge a positive contribution from a player who has had a lot of questions asked of him over the past week.

IncredibleHibee
02-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Oh the irony.

??? That's not a criticism to give my opinion that he is finished. Im not being disrespectful saying he is terrible and so on, just that his time has come, in my opinion

Blaster
02-08-2018, 09:41 PM

It’s the fact we could bring someone on at that stage of the game with his experience and calmness. Starter, no. Good squad player, absolutely.

I don’t think anyone is saying otherwise

IncredibleHibee
02-08-2018, 09:45 PM
It’s the fact we could bring someone on at that stage of the game with his experience and calmness. Starter, no. Good squad player, absolutely.

I don’t think anyone is saying otherwise

Yep, fair enough comment. He still brings some value to the group with his experience.

Iggy Pope
03-08-2018, 01:59 AM
Yep, fair enough comment. He still brings some value to the group with his experience.

Good man. Now stop calling yerself an incredible Hibee and start behaving like one.