PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Match press conference

AugustaHibs
25-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Are we expecting to see one today?

Will be interesting to hear the latest

makaveli1875
25-07-2018, 02:26 PM
Hibernian boss Neil Lennon has branded Asteras Tripolis as favourites ahead of their Europa League qualifier.
The two teams meet in the second round of qualifying in Europe at Easter Road on Thursday night, with the Greek side boasting a superior record in continental competitions in recent years.
They reached the group stages in consecutive seasons from 2014-15 to 2015-16, and Lennon feels that experience could be crucial over the two legs – with Hibs not having made it into the first round proper since 2005.
“They have a bit of pedigree in this tournament in terms of playing in the group stages,” he said. “They have done (qualified) two or three times in the last four or five years so they area good team and finished the season strongly as we did.
“They are a big squad but are tactically very well set up and are a smart team.
“It’s a very difficult tie for us.”
When asked if the Tripoli side were favourites, he replied: “I would imagine so.
“We have very little pedigree at this level. We had the two games against Brondby (in 2016) which were an excellent starting point from my point of view in terms of taking the job on.
“I would say they have a lot more experience than us at his level, however it’s their first competitive game and any advantage we can take, we should try and maximise.”
He added: “They put a lot of emphasis on European campaigns, so tactically will be smart and streetwise its a really good test for us.”
One of the sideshows to Hibs’ early-season progress – which included a 12-5 aggregate win over Faroese side NSI Runavik – has been the future of John McGinn, with the Scotland international subject to bids from Celtic.
McGinn missed the first-leg win over Runavik but made a goalscoring return last week before another bid was turned down by Hibs chiefs, and Lennon admitted the ongoing speculation had not been ideal for his star midfielder.
“Not for me, maybe a bit for John,” he said. “(There has been) a lot of speculation and stories, but he is playing and until both clubs reach an agreement we will utilise John as best we can and I have to manage him as well as I can.
“He is a human being at the end of the day and has emotions.
“It can be a bit unsettling but I have been in that situation myself as a player so I know what he is going through.”
Striker Simon Murray departed the club earlier this week, leaving Hibs short on attacking options – something they are looking to address.
“It is slow at the minute and still early, we are closing in on one or two players,” Lennon said of their transfer business. “Hopefully we will have a few new faces in but there is no timescale on that.”

Jim44
25-07-2018, 03:27 PM
Hibernian boss Neil Lennon has branded Asteras Tripolis as favourites ahead of their Europa League qualifier.
The two teams meet in the second round of qualifying in Europe at Easter Road on Thursday night, with the Greek side boasting a superior record in continental competitions in recent years.
They reached the group stages in consecutive seasons from 2014-15 to 2015-16, and Lennon feels that experience could be crucial over the two legs – with Hibs not having made it into the first round proper since 2005.
“They have a bit of pedigree in this tournament in terms of playing in the group stages,” he said. “They have done (qualified) two or three times in the last four or five years so they area good team and finished the season strongly as we did.
When asked if the Tripoli side were favourites, he replied: “I would imagine so.
“We have very little pedigree at this level. We had the two games against Brondby (in 2016) which were an excellent starting point from my point of view in terms of taking the job on.
“I would say they have a lot more experience than us at his level, however it’s their first competitive game and any advantage we can take, we should try and maximise.”
He added: “They put a lot of emphasis on European campaigns, so tactically will be smart and streetwise its a really good test for us.”
One of the sideshows to Hibs’ early-season progress – which included a 12-5 aggregate win over Faroese side NSI Runavik – has been the future of John McGinn, with the Scotland international subject to bids from Celtic.
McGinn missed the first-leg win over Runavik but made a goalscoring return last week before another bid was turned down by Hibs chiefs, and Lennon admitted the ongoing speculation had not been ideal for his star midfielder.
“Not for me, maybe a bit for John,” he said. “(There has been) a lot of speculation and stories, but he is playing and until both clubs reach an agreement we will utilise John as best we can and I have to manage him as well as I can.
“It can be a bit unsettling but I have been in that situation myself as a player so I know what he is going through.”
Striker Simon Murray departed the club earlier this week, leaving Hibs short on attacking options – something they are looking to address.
“It is slow at the minute and still early, we are closing in on one or two players,” Lennon said of their transfer business. “Hopefully we will have a few new faces in but there is no timescale on that.”

Somebody better tell Bet365 this as they’ve got us as favourites.

BoomtownHibees
25-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Somebody better tell Bet365 this as they’ve got us as favourites.

To qualify?

Jim44
25-07-2018, 03:47 PM
To qualify?

No, just the first leg. But I think we could inflict some damage and stand a good chance of qualifying.

theonlywayisup
25-07-2018, 03:54 PM

I would think that Neil Lennon is the type of manager that would be fuming about the lack of new signings into his team. However, he seems quite calm about it all. I really hope he's still calm on the 3rd of August with us safely into the next round.

I really do find it bizarre that we would allow Murray to leave without having a replacement able to play on Thursday.