PDA

View Full Version : Minutes Silence Tomorrow Night

St Pauli Hibee
25-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Taken from Hibs Website

"Our thoughts are with those who have suffered loss in the Greek wildfires. A minute's silence will be held ahead of kick-off tomorrow night, and black armbands will be worn."

Sean1875
25-07-2018, 09:21 AM
Really glad to hear this, would feel wrong if we didn't pay our respects in some sort of way. Definitely Hibs Class once again.

SRHibs
25-07-2018, 09:29 AM
Definitely the right decision, a minute’s applause just wouldn’t have felt right.

Scouse Hibee
25-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Definitely the right decision, a minute’s applause just wouldn’t have felt right.

It never does for me regardless of who we are remembering.
Silence is the ultimate show of respect in my opinion, pleased Hibs have come good on this.

Carheenlea
25-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Wholly appropriate to pay our respects in this manner prior to playing Greek opposition.

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:10 AM
Last time we played a Greek side they booed and sung through the minutes silence after 9/11. Wonder if any travelling fans will be more respectful this time as it’s there own countrymen ?

Sir David Gray
25-07-2018, 10:13 AM
It never does for me regardless of who we are remembering.
Silence is the ultimate show of respect in my opinion, pleased Hibs have come good on this.

100% agree.

hibee316
25-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Last time we played a Greek side they booed and sung through the minutes silence after 9/11. Wonder if any travelling fans will be more respectful this time as it’s there own countrymen ?

Not sure what point your trying to make?

Bit of a crass post IMO

Big_Franck
25-07-2018, 10:40 AM

I remember that actually. A few of them were doing Lenny-like airplane impressions during the minutes silence. I'm sure our fans will show respect though.

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:42 AM
Not sure what point your trying to make?

Bit of a crass post IMO

Not crass just wondering if they will show respect this time

SRHibs
25-07-2018, 10:44 AM

You know the answer yourself.

Jamesie
25-07-2018, 10:45 AM
If anyone doesn't want to engage in the minute's silence then I would suggest staying outside of the ground until it is finished.

WeeRussell
25-07-2018, 10:46 AM

Really? As in AEK fans? I'd hope it was a very small minority of idiots.

Regardless, this is different opposition 17 years later. I'd hate to think that teams from abroad were weary of our fans because they once saw how the huns behave.

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:46 AM
You know the answer yourself.

I actually don’t. Greek football fans are very volatile and not sure how they’ll react to the dreadful fire in Athens

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:48 AM
If anyone doesn't want to engage in the minute's silence then I would suggest staying outside of the ground until it is finished.

I expect every Hibs fan will respect the minutes silence as we all do

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Regardless, this is different opposition 17 years later. I'd hate to think that teams from abroad were weary of our fans because they once saw how the huns behave.

yip was quite a few of them doing it, hopefully it will be respected on thursday

Lendo
25-07-2018, 11:30 AM
I expect every Hibs fan will respect the minutes silence as we all do

Certainly hope so, but there is always one arse that will happily talk away during it.

Barman Stanton
25-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Didnt look like a minority. They were noisily celebrating the American deaths. They were also burning American flags in Athens.

Booked4Being-Ugly
25-07-2018, 11:48 AM
It’s about us showing some respect and class.

What the AEK fans did or didnt do is irrelevant IMO.

Scott Allan Key
25-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Didnt look like a minority. They were noisily celebrating the American deaths. They were also burning American flags in Athens.

I was in Athens in the nineties during a visit by George Bush snr as US President. There were significant riots on the streets, and feedback from the locals suggested the US and NATO support of Turkey was behind the animosity. Could be wrong though.

Appropriate touch by Hibs for the minute’s silence for the fire victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
25-07-2018, 11:51 AM
I was in Athens in the nineties during a visit by George Bush snr as US President. There were significant riots on the streets, and feedback from the locals suggested the US and NATO support of Turkey was behind the animosity. Could be wrong though.

Appropriate touch by Hibs for the minute’s silence for the fire victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I totally agree, a minute silence is definitely the right thing to do. Just remember being shocked at the Greeks behavior are Eater Road that day.

Roxyhibee
25-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Pretty sure I recall AEK historic roots are Turkish and yes American flags were burned in their stadium in joyous response to the 9/11 attacks just days earlier. The minutes silence at ER was disrupted by their fans (a bit like asking all Celtic fans to respect a minutes silence after an IRA bombing on British mainland) and this set an incredible intense atmosphere for the rest of the game of which I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed. The chanting of “USA, USA” from our East Terracing summed up the bizarre tone of the night.

My Italian friend who is a Juventus fan (and Hibby) said he’d never experienced anything like that night at any football game.

Apart from the 2 goals, my memories are of SOL becoming embedded in our folklore at the amazing half time sing along, and the Hibby who ran from the Lower West and dived along the turf right in front of the AEK fans. If they’d had guns they would have definitely shot him multiple times. No joke, they went mental.

Doubt tomorrow will even slightly resemble that night.

Prof. Shaggy
25-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Oh I totally agree, a minute silence is definitely the right thing to do. Just remember being shocked at the Greeks behavior are Eater Road that day.

The Greek protest was at the Athens leg.:confused:

Chic Murray
25-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Really glad to hear this, would feel wrong if we didn't pay our respects in some sort of way. Definitely Hibs Class once again.

It's even classier if we don't congratulate ourselves on it. :rolleyes:

Barman Stanton
25-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Now my memory may be hazy as it was a while ago but I was sure they were whistling etc during a minutes silence at Easter Road. Its also mentioned here: http://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-160750.html

Are you saying the Greeks observed the minute silence at Easter Road?

Ringothedog
25-07-2018, 12:20 PM

They were burning the USA flag in Athens and aeroplane signs at Easter Road

One Day
25-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Would think the answers obvious, stupid post

Jpdhfc
25-07-2018, 01:03 PM

At the away game they were burning American flags and singing all through the minutes silence.

hibee_nation
25-07-2018, 01:18 PM
AEK fans were tossers, i suspect all fans at ER would agree with that on Thursday. Both sets of fans will show exemplary behaviour as befits the occasion.

hibee316
25-07-2018, 01:49 PM

This time?

We have never played this team before. The fans who come tomorrow were most probably not at the AEK game for the simple reason it wasn't their team.

Like people from Manchester thinking we would misbehave there after what The Rangers fans did there...

Keith_M
25-07-2018, 02:01 PM

It wasn't a small minority. They seemed to be revelling in the attacks on the Twin Towers. They were utterly despicable.

However, this is an entirely different scenario and an entirely different club.

sadtom
25-07-2018, 02:20 PM
The only problem i have with minute silence is that there are always hundreds still outside. Often they are completely unaware that it has started and the sound carries into the ground and due to everyone else being quiet it is clearly audible.
Is anyone here able to speak with someone at the club to see if the announcement just prior to the minutes silence can be clearly heard by those still outside?

grammyb111
25-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure I recall AEK historic roots are Turkish and yes American flags were burned in their stadium in joyous response to the 9/11 attacks just days earlier. The minutes silence at ER was disrupted by their fans (a bit like asking all Celtic fans to respect a minutes silence after an IRA bombing on British mainland) and this set an incredible intense atmosphere for the rest of the game of which I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed. The chanting of “USA, USA” from our East Terracing summed up the bizarre tone of the night.

My Italian friend who is a Juventus fan (and Hibby) said he’d never experienced anything like that night at any football game.

Apart from the 2 goals, my memories are of SOL becoming embedded in our folklore at the amazing half time sing along, and the Hibby who ran from the Lower West and dived along the turf right in front of the AEK fans. If they’d had guns they would have definitely shot him multiple times. No joke, they went mental.

Doubt tomorrow will even slightly resemble that night.

This exactly, the atmosphere that night was like nothing else I've experienced at any football match before or since, including derbies, old firm, Scotland v England etc.

Sean1875
25-07-2018, 03:01 PM
It's even classier if we don't congratulate ourselves on it. :rolleyes:
Hardly 'Congratulating' ourselves on it, merely acknowledging that my club has made a respectful gesture which is good to see, settle down.

Chic Murray
25-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Hardly 'Congratulating' ourselves on it, merely acknowledging that my club has made a respectful gesture which is good to see, settle down.

Sorry, I just thought putting "Hibs Class" at the end was making it more about us than the victims of the fire, that's all. I really didn't see the need for it all, if I'm honest.

I'm sure other clubs would do the same, and there's no need to make out we're something special for doing it.

Sean1875
25-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Sorry, I just thought putting "Hibs Class" at the end was making it more about us than the victims of the fire, that's all. I really didn't see the need for it all, if I'm honest.

I'm sure other clubs would do the same, and there's no need to make out we're something special for doing it.

You'd need to think I was a pretty sick individual if you thought I was using Hibs marking the deaths of multiple people in a tragedy to gain some sort of self-satisfaction and one upmanship.

Chic Murray
25-07-2018, 03:31 PM
You'd need to think I was a pretty sick individual if you thought I was using Hibs marking the deaths of multiple people in a tragedy to gain some sort of self-satisfaction and one upmanship.

You need to settle now - it was an ill thought out remark, in my opinion, that's all. I never suggested any of that for a minute, get over yourself.

Sean1875
25-07-2018, 03:42 PM
You need to settle now - it was an ill thought out remark, in my opinion, that's all. I never suggested any of that for a minute, get over yourself.
A Hibs fan using the phrase 'Hibs Class' in relation to a classy and respectful move by Hibs - an ill thought out remark? :rolleyes: We'll agree to disagree and leave it at that :aok:

Chic Murray
25-07-2018, 03:45 PM
A Hibs fan using the phrase 'Hibs Class' in relation to a classy and respectful move by Hibs - an ill thought out remark? :rolleyes: We'll agree to disagree and leave it at that :aok:

Yes.

[edit] that's very good of you.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-07-2018, 04:09 PM
It is the right thing to do. If there are those in our own support who don't observe it, or even in the away support who don't , surely that says more about them, than it does us?

HelmutSchlong
25-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Taken from Hibs Website

"Our thoughts are with those who have suffered loss in the Greek wildfires. A minute's silence will be held ahead of kick-off tomorrow night, and black armbands will be worn."

Hibs Class !!!

It’s not really Hibs class is it? It’s human decency