PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs

Pages : [1] 2

IanM
24-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Admittedly hadn’t spent much time looking at St Mirren since Stubbs joined but from his first interview on SSN and the saints fans reaction to what you hear now after 6 weeks, they’re not giving him long at all

Ripped the team they were proud off last season apart
Promised 4/5 new players with a couple of marquee signings all haven’t arrived
He’s now ‘hopefull’ of 2 new players
Has let players go without replacing them
Has told the players to forget about last season and has lost the dressing room
Lost heavily in a friendly and players gave up after the 2nd went in
Drew with part time and amateurs in the cup
Employed Darren Jackson
Employed Brian rice

They ain’t a happy bunch

Some are even hoping they have a clause in his contract that if he’s bottom by September he can be sacked

I know even now he splits opinions with some hibs fans but they done the same with jack Ross and hopeful he can turn this around. Always liked the guy and done a lot for the club and fans during his time. Built us back up from nothing

Was just quite surprised at the reaction from saints fans - surely only goal this season is to stay up - ones I’ve spoke too and on the fans forums say top 6 minimum

ancient hibee
24-07-2018, 09:57 PM
I thought StMirren would struggle to stay up under Jack Ross and with Morgan away.It’ll be an even bigger struggle now.

Michael
24-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Win a couple matches and they'll be right behind him.

Sir David Gray
24-07-2018, 10:05 PM
They cost me almost £80 tonight.

********. :rolleyes:

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2018, 10:08 PM
I thought StMirren would struggle to stay up under Jack Ross and with Morgan away.It’ll be an even bigger struggle now.You'd imagine they'll be better than Livi and probably Hamilton. A playoff at worst was my thoughts but if even half of the OP is true they could be in trouble.

ancient hibee
24-07-2018, 10:11 PM
I just thought that they would miss Morgan badly and by the time they got a new playing system it might be all over for them.Wasn’t a good time to lose a manager.

Ronniekirk
24-07-2018, 10:14 PM
A few mates were at the game tonight and said they were even worse than they were on Saturday Played like Strangers and he only started one of the players he brought in One shot at goal all night
Yep he isn't winning fans over and by sounds of it players aren't responding either
Early days But fans think they are now heading out the League Cup and the thrashing by Sunderland wasn't what they needed
Stubbs needs Mcginn money to spend and spend it wisely or could be in trouble and struggle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SanFranHibs
24-07-2018, 10:16 PM
You'd imagine they'll be better than Livi and probably Hamilton. A playoff at worst was my thoughts but if even half of the OP is true they could be in trouble.

I do remember last year at this time when quite a few Hearts fans were convinced they would have 3 points or so out of the first round.

Each team can only hope they get off to a good start. Stating the obvious there but I think there might be a few teams not overly confident.....or should I say their fans.

But boot him if they are bottom in September? Soon we will have fans wanting managers booted before the league starts....oops Cathro?

Sammy7nil
24-07-2018, 10:40 PM

Did me for £120

Smartie
24-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Who'd have thought that it would be harder to pick up from Jack Ross newly promoted than picking up from the newly relegated bomb site Terry Butcher left behind?

J-C
24-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Who'd have thought that it would be harder to pick up from Jack Ross newly promoted than picking up from the newly relegated bomb site Terry Butcher left behind?

He had Taff and Doolan as his right hand men, plus we were at such a low ebb he was refreshing as a manager at the time, just what we needed but apart from the cup win and playing pretty football we needed the grit and determination of Lennon and Parker to get promotion.

matty_f
24-07-2018, 11:05 PM
I think it highlights how hard Hibs have worked to give managers every chance of success.

Stubbs won't have half of the advantages that he had here,

1van Sprou7e
24-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Stubbs was the right man at the right time for us

He's walked into a pretty different situation at St Mirren but I hope he ends up having a successful spell there as well

AZhibee
24-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Admittedly hadn’t spent much time looking at St Mirren since Stubbs joined but from his first interview on SSN and the saints fans reaction to what you hear now after 6 weeks, they’re not giving him long at all

Employed Darren Jackson
Employed Brian rice

They ain’t a happy bunch

Some are even hoping they have a clause in his contract that if he’s bottom by September he can be sacked

I know even now he splits opinions with some hibs fans but they done the same with jack Ross and hopeful he can turn this around. Always liked the guy and done a lot for the club and fans during his time. Built us back up from nothing

Was just quite surprised at the reaction from saints fans - surely only goal this season is to stay up - ones I’ve spoke too and on the fans forums say top 6 minimum

Perhaps the fans would have preferred to have refused promotion and been preparing for epic clashes with the likes of Alloa and Ayr. Welcome to reality huh.

Delboy4
25-07-2018, 12:06 AM
They cost me £100 😡

Dashing Bob S
25-07-2018, 03:44 AM
Stubbs will be forever a legend but starting to think that Doolan was the main man in that combo.

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 04:04 AM
Honestly never rated him as a good manager for us. Never had a plan B and couldn't get us out the championship. Without winning the SC I would have looked at him as a massive failure.

Forza Fred
25-07-2018, 04:10 AM
St Mirren were going to struggle irrespective of who was manager.

Stubbsie has rolled the dice in a bid to resurrect his managerial career, but I reckon he’s misread the spots.

St Mirren are only an attractive club for players who are desperate to maintain a presence in the Premier League.

The Premier League’slast chance saloon unfortunately.

Bay Area Hibees
25-07-2018, 04:27 AM
Honestly never rated him as a good manager for us. Never had a plan B and couldn't get us out the championship. Without winning the SC I would have looked at him as a massive failure.

Really ?
Close to winning 2 cups in one season.

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 04:52 AM
Really ?
Close to winning 2 cups in one season.

Over his whole tenure I just never rated him.

thebausburst
25-07-2018, 05:10 AM

Never rated him, the guy should have a bronze statue of him outside ER, we were robbed of a cup double, and the guy led us to the holy grail Hibs a then championship side won the SC for FS!!!

IGRIGI
25-07-2018, 05:16 AM
Finished 3rd behind Falkirk, I'd have sacked him a day after the cup final, cup win or not.

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Never rated him, the guy should have a bronze statue of him outside ER, we were robbed of a cup double, and the guy led us to the holy grail Hibs a then championship side won the SC for FS!!!

Fair enough he won the Scottish Cup, doesn't mean he's a good manager though. Lennon is ten times the manger that Stubbs was. John Collins won us a cup too, think he was a pish manager also.

Brizo
25-07-2018, 05:27 AM

Get where your coming from but the fact is he did win us the SC.

He also brought the crowds, entertaining football and all round feelgood factor back to ER.

I think its recognised by most folk how instrumental Doolan and Holden were in that success and their influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch cant be underestimated. I don't think Rice and Jackson are anywhere near that calibre. It will be interesting to see how Stubbsy does without his ER management team.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 05:31 AM
guy will always be a legend for winning the cup but think he will find it a lot harder at st mirren, he will have no where near the resources he had at hibs and is in the premier league rather than the championship, dont think he will last the season

hibbysam
25-07-2018, 05:37 AM

No plan B you say? Wonder how we managed to turn that cup final around. If you told me we’d finish second the first season in that league and finish third the next but win a Scottish Cup and get to the league cup final I’d have ripped your hand off. Let’s not forget, second or third, we got completely cheated out of that playoff.

Big_Franck
25-07-2018, 05:41 AM
St Mirren fans are deluded if they think they are going to come up and finish in the top 6. When have they ever done that?! Stubbs will do well to keep that wee club up this season.

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 05:48 AM
No plan B you say? Wonder how we managed to turn that cup final around. If you told me we’d finish second the first season in that league and finish third the next but win a Scottish Cup and get to the league cup final I’d have ripped your hand off. Let’s not forget, second or third, we got completely cheated out of that playoff.

You look at his tenure from a neatrual point of view and he was far from a great manager. We struggled to score goals and breakdown teams that came and sat in against us. Most of the time he didn't have a plan B. Finishing third behind Falkirk and scoring less goals than them with the resources he had was dire. That was over an entire season, not just a one off game. Under Lennon it's been night and day compared to Stubbs.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2018, 06:05 AM
Fair enough he won the Scottish Cup, doesn't mean he's a good manager though. Lennon is ten times the manger that Stubbs was. John Collins won us a cup too, think he was a pish manager also.

You're actually saying Stubbs was pish? Wow...

hibbysam
25-07-2018, 06:11 AM
You look at his tenure from a neatrual point of view and he was far from a great manager. We struggled to score goals and breakdown teams that came and sat in against us. Most of the time he didn't have a plan B. Finishing third behind Falkirk and scoring less goals than them with the resources he had was dire. That was over an entire season, not just a one off game. Under Lennon it's been night and day compared to Stubbs.

In our championship season it was far from night and day. If you say so then your having us all on. Remind me of our points totals and goals records between those two seasons, remembering their was no rangers under Lennon.

Lennon has gone from strength to strength since but absolutely no way was it night and day in the championship. Whether we finished above Falkirk or not made no difference. We won our first play off tie. We lost the second one due to two horrible refereeing decisions. We also won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe, giving Lennon the opportunity to do what he is doing due to crowds coming back. Winning a cup and finishing one position lower than projected is sufficient for me.

calumhibee1
25-07-2018, 06:13 AM

The night and day part - Lennon managed to pick up one more point? I think it was in the Championship than Stubbs and he didn’t have Rangers or Hearts to contend with which accounts for 12 points each season. Stubbs took over a disaster and picked up pretty much the same amount of points as Lennon yet Lennon was taking over a club on the highest of highs while Stubbs took over a club at the lowest of lows.

Obviously at the end of the day Lennon got us promoted and obviously last season was superb. But Lennon in the Championship wasn’t really night and day compared to Stubbs in my opinion. He done a little bit better in an easier League.

bigwheel
25-07-2018, 06:16 AM

Stubbs rebuilt the playing side of our club to make it what it is now - he literally started with 6 players . All of them stuck in a rut ...

Hearts were outstanding at securing points in our first year down - incredibly consistent - we finished second

I can understand criticism for his third place finish when Rangers went up - we were not consistent enough - yet we got to two national cup finals - how often have we ever done that ? And won our holy grail ....

Overall, our football had been as good as it had been since Mowbray’s team ....

Not saying he was the finished article, but to suggest he was “pish” is a savage criticism..

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 06:17 AM
You're actually saying Stubbs was pish? Wow...

I don't think Stubbs is pish, I'd say he's an average manager. Not great, not terrible. Guess we'll see how his career pans out. So far since leaving us, he's not set the managerial world alight yet.

Hiber-nation
25-07-2018, 06:20 AM

Good for you. The man who played a massive part in turning our club around, got us playing football for the first time in years, started the revival and won the Holy Grail.

Played Killie off the park 2 weeks ago but some on here conveniently ignore that and seem desperate for him to fail.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Stubbs rebuilt the playing side of our club to make it what it is now - he literally started with 6 players . All of them stuck in a rut ...

Hearts were outstanding at securing points in our first year down - incredibly consistent - we finished second

I can understand criticism for his third place finish when Rangers went up - we were not consistent enough - yet we got to two national cup finals - how often have we ever done that ? And won our holy grail ....

Overall, our football had been as good as it had been since Mowbray’s team ....

Not saying he was the finished article, but to suggest he was “pish” is a savage criticism..

Well put.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2018, 06:25 AM
I don't think Stubbs is pish, I'd say he's an average manager. Not great, not terrible. Guess we'll see how his career pans out. So far since leaving us, he's not set the managerial world alight yet.

Your last sentence suggested Collins was 'also' pish.

Either way I think you're slightly off the mark.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 06:27 AM

was there actually a plan b in the cup final? dont think a plan b was needed, we played the same from start to finish

Sir David Gray
25-07-2018, 06:37 AM

He did win the Scottish Cup though.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2018, 06:45 AM
Any manager who has us finishing third in the championship should never be spoken of as a great manager, but that still does not take away him leading us to the Scottish cup win and elevating him into legend status.

Winning 5 cup games makes him a legend, finishing 3rd in the 2nd tier of Scottish football makes him a poor league manager in my opinion.

In the grand scheme of things i'd take what he achieved by winning the cup, but dear god some of those performances in the Championship were dire, and hopefully we are never back in that place again.

J-C
25-07-2018, 07:00 AM
I think Lennon realised we had to get out the league and at times we had to win ugly, Holt was brought in to roughen up opposition CH's and give space to other players, we played longer ball also, less pretty stuff, our main aim was just to get promotion however we got it. You can now see that Lennon is attempting to play the game the right way now we're up with the big boys again and he's got relative success so far, Stubbs wanted to play pretty football from the get go and didn't seem to realise that playing ugly was needed at times.

Lennon has Parker as his right hand man and they go hand in hand, I think Stubbs is missing Doolan and Taff, they're a team and he needs both their input, Jackson and Rice might just be the wrong choice.

Hibs1969
25-07-2018, 07:06 AM
Stubbs got us to 2 cup finals in a season but also failed to get us out of the Championship twice so in that sense he had mixed results, but for winning the SC and helping revive our club when we were at our lowest possible ebb, he deserves huge credit. He brought in McGinn, McGeouch, Gray, Boyle, Fyvie, Fontaine, Bartley, Allan, Stokes, McGregor, Keatings and Malonga, most of whom helped win the SC and many of whom are still with us now playing under Lennon, so he’s clearly got a decent eye for players.

Someone commented that some of the games in the Championship were dire, which I agree with to a point but what else do we expect when teams come looking to stifle us? Lennon had similar problems during his year with us in the Championship so it’s not a problem unique to Stubbs. Folks may also want to remember performances like the 4-0 thrashing of the Huns at ER and the demolition of Dundee Utd in the LC run to the final, which was one of the best games I’ve seen at ER in many years.

Here’s hoping he can get it right with St Mirren and he’s still in charge when they come to ER so we can give him a warm welcome back.

SirDavidsNapper
25-07-2018, 07:09 AM
I wish Stubbs all the best for obvious reasons but i just don't think he's a particularly good manager. Look how much we've pushed on since NL came in. I'm not saying he was bad and we did have a massive amount of games when we finished third in the Championship but i think a lot of his good signings were down to George Craig and Leeann Dempster and also having a blank canvas to work on. It's different inheriting a squad of 20-30 underachieving players, Alan Stubbs didn't. Was still a big job admittedly but he had an extremely good structure around him.

pacoluna
25-07-2018, 07:29 AM
It's his lack of interaction with the fans that's is also a problem with st mirren, he had the same problem at Rotherham.

we are hibs
25-07-2018, 07:29 AM
These threads always turn out the same way every time. If it wasn't for Stubbs we wouldn't be where we are now. People gave short memories.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 07:34 AM
These threads always turn out the same way every time. If it wasn't for Stubbs we wouldn't be where we are now. People gave short memories.

has anyone said anything thats not true? legend for winning the cup, signed some cracking players, was pretty disappointing in the league, went to Rotherham and wasnt up to much, not had a very convincing start at st mirren

we are hibs
25-07-2018, 08:17 AM
has anyone said anything thats not true? legend for winning the cup, signed some cracking players, was pretty disappointing in the league, went to Rotherham and wasnt up to much, not had a very convincing start at st mirren

First season at hibs most would have envisaged we would have finished 3rd behind hearts and rangers. Probably lower after the first 2 months of the season. We finished second and eventually lost in the play offs but the signs were promising for the next season as the fans reconnected with the club.

Second season, again we started slowly. But our form from around mid September till the Morton game in late February was excellent in the league. The reason we struggled after that was due to the amount of games we had with getting to two cup finals. Playing 2 replays in one. And playing 4 games in the play offs. Our squad wasn't big enough to cope with that amount of games which is why our performances dipped in the league. We eventually found energy and something from within to win the cup when everyone thought we were dead and buried and people would have took that at the start of the season ahead of promotion. I'm not saying he's perfect. But he wasn't "a terrible league manager who got lucky by winning the cup" like some suggest. He built the core of a squad that won us a cup, played great football, turned our derby record around and eventually got us European football last season along with signings made by Lennon.

Thecat23
25-07-2018, 08:21 AM
First season at hibs most would have envisaged we would have finished 3rd behind hearts and rangers. Probably lower after the first 2 months of the season. We finished second and eventually lost in the play offs but the signs were promising for the next season as the fans reconnected with the club.

Second season, again we started slowly. But our form from around mid September till the Morton game in late February was excellent in the league. The reason we struggled after that was due to the amount of games we had with getting to two cup finals. Playing 2 replays in one. And playing 4 games in the play offs. Our squad wasn't big enough to cope with that amount of games which is why our performances dipped in the league. We eventually found energy and something from within to win the cup when everyone thought we were dead and buried and people would have took that at the start of the season ahead of promotion. I'm not saying he's perfect. But he wasn't "a terrible league manager who got lucky by winning the cup" like some suggest. He built the core of a squad that won us a cup, played great football, turned our derby record around and eventually got us European football last season along with signings made by Lennon.

This.

Also if it wasn’t for Stubbs Hibs wouldn’t be in the position they are today it’s simple as that. He built the foundations and Lennon has brought us on further.

calumhibee1

Agree with this 100%. Out of our 3 seasons in the Championship the last one was by far the easiest to win for us all things considered. On a high after the cup win with no big teams left in the league other than a DU who were in a similar place to us when we got relegated. Rather than a downer after getting relegated with two of the biggest teams in the country also competing with us.

SquashedFrogg
was there actually a plan b in the cup final? dont think a plan b was needed, we played the same from start to finish

So no subs, no tactical changes? The same from start to finish?

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 08:32 AM
So no subs, no tactical changes? The same from start to finish?

yip was the same from start to finish, we attacked them the whole game which was the right thing to do, are substitutions really what you think about when talking about a plan b?

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 08:35 AM

dont think anyone has ever said he is a terrible manager who got lucky but he made mistakes as all new managers do and should rightly be discussed surely? if the squad was as thin as you suggest and i actually agree then surely it was up to stubbs to make sure he had a squad big enough to cope? as for rangers and hearts being in the league, ranvers were honking and we should have been promoted that season, to not go up the second season was inexcusable

Smartie
25-07-2018, 08:48 AM
yip was the same from start to finish, we attacked them the whole game which was the right thing to do, are substitutions really what you think about when talking about a plan b?

I always think that doing plan A a bit better is the best plan B.

We were playing well against Rangers throughout that match and didn't need to change our whole approach.

For those being critical of Stubbs, think about how it felt walking away from the Hamilton game when we were relegated, then think about how it felt in the aftermath of the cup final. Those events pretty much bookended his first job in management, with a lot of good football in between.

It might just be me, but I think he's a superb manager. A few dodgy results in a pre-season kick about tournament (one that has already thrown up a few odd results) is not going to make me change my mind.

GreenCastle
25-07-2018, 08:50 AM
I said at the time Jackson and Rice as assistants weren’t good appointments/ coaches. Cheap option and guys who are clueless.

A good assistant can’t be under estimated - Doolan for example was right for Hibs and Stubbs.

Stubbs is a legend and will he be remembered in world football for being an all time great like Pep - no but in Hibs terms he was as he delivered something none of us ever expected to see.

J-C
25-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Pretty sure we started off with 3 at the back and then went to the 4-4-2 diamond, I'd say that was changing it, especially in that final.

I think Stubbs main fault was not being able to break down gritty 10 men defences, he stuck rigidly with his diamond as it suited our squad at the time but we dropped too many points to crap teams, plus the 2 play off performances ( although against Falkirk you could argue poor refereeing ). I remember on here many people were talking of letting him go due to no promotion in the 2nd season, we gave him leeway the 1st due to the state the club was in but the 2nd season there was no excuse for not getting promoted, too many games or not, that was unacceptable. The cup win papered over the cracks a little.

I still say he's missing his 2 compadres in Doolan and Taff.

CRAZYHIBBY
25-07-2018, 09:07 AM
It was going to be a struggle at st murn no matter who took over

angus hibby
25-07-2018, 09:22 AM

Seriously?? Started 3-5-2 in cup final and at 2-1 down
brings on Henderson for Fontaine and goes 4-4-2
midfield diamond. The rest is history! If that isn't
plan B, what do you think is?

Players at Hibs couldn't speak highly enough
Stubbs so that tells you something. Our club was
a state when he took over and he more than
his part in where we are today.

Onceinawhile
25-07-2018, 09:30 AM

He changed the formation from 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 diamond.

Fonts and Hanlon both went off, only Gunnarsson came on.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 09:32 AM
He changed the formation from 3-5-2 to a 4-4-2 diamond.

Fonts and Hanlon both went off, only Gunnarsson came on.

yip, completely forgot so i stand corrected in regards to that game

Carheenlea
25-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Stubbs should have his own seat for life at Easter Road in the directors box.

PISTOL1875
25-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Alan Stubbs will always be a hero for winning the cup but as a league manager he was far from impressive.. Toiled many times to break down pub teams who sat in and his failure to make the playoff final twice , let alone get promoted is nothing short of awful...………..

Barman Stanton
25-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Seems that some have forgotten the total mess we were in when Stubbs came in. Basically kept Stevenson and Hanlon and built a new team from top to bottom. Lennon had a fantastic base to start with at Hibs, due to a team that Stubbs built. The disrespect for a Scottish Cup winning manager from some on here is unreal!

PISTOL1875
25-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Seems that some have forgotten the total mess we were in when Stubbs came in. Basically kept Stevenson and Hanlon and built a new team from top to bottom. Lennon had a fantastic base to start with at Hibs, due to a team that Stubbs built. The disrespect for a Scottish Cup winning manager from some on here is unreal!

That's the reality of the situation I am afraid... Football is a cut throat business , you either sink or swim depending on your results.

MWHIBBIES
25-07-2018, 09:56 AM
Lennon struggled as much as Stubbs to break teams in that league down, there was just no competition.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2018, 09:57 AM

It was more the tactical changes.

we are hibs
25-07-2018, 10:01 AM
dont think anyone has ever said he is a terrible manager who got lucky but he made mistakes as all new managers do and should rightly be discussed surely? if the squad was as thin as you suggest and i actually agree then surely it was up to stubbs to make sure he had a squad big enough to cope? as for rangers and hearts being in the league, ranvers were honking and we should have been promoted that season, to not go up the second season was inexcusable

How can you say we should've had a bigger squad? No one knew we were going to reach two cup finals at the start of that season. We played near enough 60 games that season including playing about 3 or 4 midweek in a row due to the backlog. We would've needed a strong squad of about 22 quality players to reach two cup finals and go up that season. To go from being appointed and inheriting a squad of around 8 or 9 players of which people like Craig, Nelson and Tudor-Jones were included to 24 months later winning a Scottish cup which set us on our way to record crowds, eventual promotion and a record breaking season back I would say that more than makes up for not being promoted in 2 seasons of which neither time we were favourites to go up

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Stubbs is a legend at Hibs and St.Mirren fans need a bit of perspective. They are nowhere near a top six side. I actually think that for the foreseeable future Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will pull away from the rest of the league. That will leave 7 sides fighting relegation/sixth place.

Centre Hawf
25-07-2018, 10:06 AM
He made me fall back in love with Hibs again, I enjoyed going to watch us play week in week out again after what felt like years of going out of sheer habit. In probably the last 12-18 months before he joined I would say I nearly hated watching us play and the apathy was setting in long before that too. So for that, first and foremost, I thank him.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 10:08 AM
How can you say we should've had a bigger squad? No one knew we were going to reach two cup finals at the start of that season. We played near enough 60 games that season including playing about 3 or 4 midweek in a row due to the backlog. We would've needed a strong squad of about 22 quality players to reach two cup finals and go up that season. To go from being appointed and inheriting a squad of around 8 or 9 players of which people like Craig, Nelson and Tudor-Jones were included to 24 months later winning a Scottish cup which set us on our way to record crowds, eventual promotion and a record breaking season back I would say that more than makes up for not being promoted in 2 seasons of which neither time we were favourites to go up

you cant see why we should have had a bigger squad even though you mention why we should have had a bigger squad

calumhibee1
25-07-2018, 10:19 AM
you cant see why we should have had a bigger squad even though you mention why we should have had a bigger squad

But you can’t spend money on a big squad based on the highly unlikely scenario that you’re going to make it to two national cup finals while in the second tier. That would be a huge gamble which 99 times out of 100 would lead to money being wasted.

SquashedFrogg
25-07-2018, 10:20 AM

100%

Stubbs pulled together a squad from a starting point of around 6 players (ish) with a near impossible task in season 1. Yams had been preparing for Championship for a while and Huns were also preparing for that league. We fell arse first into it.

Season 2 saw us reach 2 cup finals (win one - should have won 2) but not quite have enough in the tank to see us over the line. Huns were always going to win that league. Falkirk for me had a more-street wise team geared for the championship. Scratchers and biters. Yes, we failed to break down teams at times and perhaps lacked a different approach.

But over 2 seasons Stubbs lifted us up from the floor, brought a the feel good factor back and set us on our current path.

Let's not forget Lennon found it tough going at times too in the championship. We certainly didn't romp it. I think Lennon had benefit of building on what was becoming a more established team, players were improving (McGinn, McGeough, Boyle) and also adding a more pragmatic style when needed. Lennon could also draw on managerial experiences. Something Stubbs couldn't.

Personally I think Lennon is the better manager, but some of the comments on here about Stubbs are astonishing.

BullsCloseHibs
25-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Stubbs is a legend at Hibs and St.Mirren fans need a bit of perspective. They are nowhere near a top six side. I actually think that for the foreseeable future Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts will pull away from the rest of the league. That will leave 7 sides fighting relegation/sixth place.

I don't think Hearts will pull away from the rest. The squad they have isn't good enough. Again. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hibee. I think they could toil under Potter and co.

SRHibs
25-07-2018, 10:32 AM
I don't think Hearts will pull away from the rest. The squad they have isn't good enough. Again. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Hibee. I think they could toil under Potter and co.

I doubt it. Levein might be boring as ****, but he’s generally done well with Hearts. It’s far too early to make any real judgements on their squad. Think 2nd to 5th will see Hibs, Aberdeen, Rangers, and Hearts in any order.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 10:34 AM
But you can’t spend money on a big squad based on the highly unlikely scenario that you’re going to make it to two national cup finals while in the second tier. That would be a huge gamble which 99 times out of 100 would lead to money being wasted.

the team we have just now plus maybe another striker is decent enough to make a challenge for the top 4 again in the spl but you spend every minute of your day on here wanting more players so whats the difference?

Michael
25-07-2018, 10:34 AM

I don't think Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts will be that comfortable. I think at least one will be bottom six most seasons.

Whoever finishes 5th and 6th is generally pretty random, so St. Mirren have as much chance as any.

WeeRussell
25-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Employed Darren Jackson
Employed Brian rice

They ain’t a happy bunch

Top 6 minimum... minimum?! Are you sure they are St Mirren fans:confused:

A club that has just come up to the premier league, having almost been in the 3rd tier last season should be looking to establish themselves as a top league side again.

I don't believe for a second that their fans won't be happy unless they're top 6.

Pretty Boy
25-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Stubbs is a legend for winning the cup. Take the cup win out and with a bit perspective and the benefit of hindsight I'd still hail him as a very god manager for us. The barely concealed glee from some Hibs fans at his struggle on social media and from the usual 1 or 2 on here is as sad as it is baffling.

Whatever he does in his career from here on in is irrelevant to me. He played a huge part in hauling this club of it's knees and I for one will always be grateful and wish him well.

WeeRussell
25-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Stubbs is a legend for winning the cup. Take the cup win out and with a bit perspective and the benefit of hindsight I'd still hail him as a very god manager for us. The barely concealed glee from some Hibs fans at his struggle on social media and from the usual 1 or 2 on here is as sad as it is baffling.

Whatever he does in his career from here on in is irrelevant to me. He played a huge part in hauling this club of it's knees and I for one will always be grateful and wish him well.

Absolutely spot on.

lucky
25-07-2018, 10:45 AM
I don't think Hibs, Aberdeen and Hearts will be that comfortable. I think at least one will be bottom six most seasons.

Whoever finishes 5th and 6th is generally pretty random, so St. Mirren have as much chance as any.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen now have more than double the budget of the rest of the league outwith the Okd Firm. Money talks and gap is only going to get bigger

Thecat23
25-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Whatever he does in his career from here on in is irrelevant to me. He played a huge part in hauling this club of his knees and I for one will always be grateful and wish him well.

Well said PB. Always laugh when I see they “he never got us up first or second season.” Yet the fail to put in why, injuries, suspensions, got knows how many games crammed in, 2 hip finals unlucky in the one we lost as well. A couple take pleasure in having a go at Stubbs and it’s really weird considering what he achieved and how he build our foundations to where we are now.

Michael
25-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen now have more than double the budget of the rest of the league outwith the Okd Firm. Money talks and gap is only going to get bigger

Yeah, but money's only useful if you know how to use it. Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have all been struggling bottom 6 (and below) sides in the past decade.

Stevie Reid
25-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I love Alan Stubbs.

I'll never stop loving Alan Stubbs.

KeithTheHibby
25-07-2018, 01:06 PM
Some people on here are doing AS a serious disservice to our club and what he did for it.

Given the fact that as a rookie manager he took over a shell of a squad going into a season in the championship which, btw, was unprecedented given the fact that the huns and their wee cousins were there.
We were playing serious catch up the minute he walked in the door and considering under his tenure we finished above one of them is good going in my book.

The second season league wise was more disappointing, granted however I am sure the Scottish Cup win makes up for it. We were competing on 3 fronts from January to May - that would take it's toll on any squad.

There is no doubt AS would have got us promoted the following season had he stuck around as he had built an excellent squad. A squad btw that Neil Lennon has barely had to touch in his time here.

Lets not forget the feel good factor he helped create in his time here.

If St Mirren fans want his out by end of September then they are bigger A holes than I thought previously.

Sir David Gray
25-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Some people on here are doing AS a serious disservice to our club and what he did for it.

Given the fact that as a rookie manager he took over a shell of a squad going into a season in the championship which, btw, was unprecedented given the fact that the huns and their wee cousins were there.
We were playing serious catch up the minute he walked in the door and considering under his tenure we finished above one of them is good going in my book.

The second season league wise was more disappointing, granted however I am sure the Scottish Cup win makes up for it. We were competing on 3 fronts from January to May - that would take it's toll on any squad.

There is no doubt AS would have got us promoted the following season had he stuck around as he had built an excellent squad. A squad btw that Neil Lennon has barely had to touch in his time here.

If St Mirren fans want his out by end of September then they are bigger A holes than I thought previously.

Agreed. No-one was going to catch Hearts in our first season down there. Their form that year was incredible.

Hibs90
25-07-2018, 03:24 PM
St.Mirren fans seem to have very high expectations. I have no idea where this has came from. Hopefully Stubbs gets the time he needs.

brog
25-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Yep, we took off a centre half & changed from a back 3/5 to a 4. Brought on a midfielder for said centre back & midfielder delivered big time! Other than that AS didn't have a Plan B or make any notable changes to help us win the cup! :wink:

IanM
25-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Top 6 minimum... minimum?! Are you sure they are St Mirren fans:confused:

A club that has just come up to the premier league, having almost been in the 3rd tier last season should be looking to establish themselves as a top league side again.

I don't believe for a second that their fans won't be happy unless they're top 6.

The ones I know have said they had a great squad and with a couple of solid additions they’d expect that.. now they’re bare and in panic mode

By all accounts they’ve had a really poor pre season but they’re not the only ones..

Eyrie
25-07-2018, 05:37 PM

I'll always be eternally grateful to him for the cup win but I'm not sure I'd regard him as a god :na na:

My own view is that watching Hibs under Stubbs was both enjoyable and frustrating. Our ongoing inability to break down defensive teams meant that I was ready to move on from Stubbs before the cup final, and even after it. I think a lot of the praise he gets is because he won the Holy Grail, and that means that explanations will be sought for the underperformances in the league.

H18 SFR
25-07-2018, 05:39 PM
I'm of a mind that Stubbs was banking on the McGinn money and now the realisation is that it might not be coming.

blackpoolhibs
25-07-2018, 06:55 PM
Its a bit strange seeing the same folk making excuses for Stubbs and his inability to win some games against Alloa and the likes, yet only last week they were slaughtering everyone from Whittaker to Lennon, and the team were playing like a gang, whatever that means?

More faces than the town hall clock.

Hi Heid Yin
25-07-2018, 06:58 PM
St Mirren were going to struggle irrespective of who was manager.

Stubbsie has rolled the dice in a bid to resurrect his managerial career, but I reckon he’s misread the spots.

St Mirren are only an attractive club for players who are desperate to maintain a presence in the Premier League.

The Premier League’slast chance saloon unfortunately.

Jack Ross knew this and jumped ship whilst his stock was relatively high.
Because of the last 2 seasons, the St. Mirren fans have a bit of an inflated opinion of how good the squad really is.

I wish Stubbsy all the very best.
He really needs to kick start his managerial career again and I'm not sure that St. Mirren will be the club for him to do so.
The most he can really hope for is avoid relegation.

Borderhibbie76
25-07-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't think Stubbs is pish, I'd say he's an average manager. Not great, not terrible. Guess we'll see how his career pans out. So far since leaving us, he's not set the managerial world alight yet.How on earth u can call the guy that delivered us the Scottish Cup as average is beyond me...he started at Hibs when we perhaps at one of our lowest ebbs3in our history and 2 years later we won the Scottish Cup...I get the failed promotions but there were mitigating factors ie down with a strong Hearts and then rangers for 2 seasons. Stubbs was anything but average at Hibs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
25-07-2018, 09:21 PM

If St Mirren fans want his out by end of September then they are bigger A holes than I thought previously.Agree 100 per cent

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

DetroitHibs
25-07-2018, 10:13 PM
How many can honestly say you'd have given him a third season to get us up had we not won the cup. After finishing behind Falkirk, no chance I'd have given him a third season in the championship.

we are hibs
25-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Its a bit strange seeing the same folk making excuses for Stubbs and his inability to win some games against Alloa and the likes, yet only last week they were slaughtering everyone from Whittaker to Lennon, and the team were playing like a gang, whatever that means?

Lennon struggled against Dumbarton and the likes too. Not sure what point your trying to make or why you are trying to equate Whittaker being poor to Alan Stubbs managerial record when they have no relation whatsoever .

How many can honestly say you'd have given him a third season to get us up had we not won the cup. After finishing behind Falkirk, no chance I'd have given him a third season in the championship.

People keep saying "what if we didn't win the cup". But we did win it. And Stubbs is a hibs legend. And all those players are hibs legends regardless of went before or after. He was a good manager who escalated into one of the most important in our history.

jacomo
26-07-2018, 03:30 AM

Fortunately you have no say in the matter.

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Looks like he’s set to be sacked by St Mirren. No chance of a return to Hibs for him in the future on the back of that.

Greentinted
03-09-2018, 12:17 PM
To be handed his jotters according to (yes, I know) the Record. Wee bit too trigger happy at St Mirren or justified?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-stubbs-set-st-mirren-13185691

Callum_62
03-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Dont care who you are - way too early to be sacking anyone

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 12:20 PM
To be handed his jotters according to (yes, I know) the Record. Wee bit too trigger happy at St Mirren or justified?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-stubbs-set-st-mirren-13185691

would be a ridiculous decision - always going to be hard to follow Ross, and life in the top league always going to be hard to start with...give them time ...

G B Young
03-09-2018, 12:21 PM

When I saw the half-time score at Tynecastle on Saturday I posted that he could beat McCann to the sack. By all accounts they were lamentable and made the yams look good without trying.

He must wish every day that he'd never left Hibs when he did (even though personally I could understand his thinking at the time).

Greentinted
Dont care who you are - way too early to be sacking anyone

Aye, I have to agree.

Scouse Hibee
Looks like he’s set to be sacked by St Mirren. No chance of a return to Hibs for him in the future on the back of that.

Looks like he may look back on Hibs as his only success of any sort in management.

calumhibee1
03-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Remember his first 4 or 5 games with us we were in bottom 3 or 4 in championship. He’ll come good

J-C
03-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Hope they stay with him, can't help feel he's not as good due missing Doolan and Taff as his backroom staff.

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Looks like he may look back on Hibs as his only success of any sort in management.

Sounds like he’s had a shocker at St Mirren. Lost the dressing room early doors and very poor recruitment in the transfer window.

Davy Mac
03-09-2018, 12:39 PM
St Mirren will always be a yo-yo club between the Premiership and Championship unless they build and invest for the long term.

G B Young
03-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Sad if so. If he really is getting sacked I must say I didn't think it was the right sort of move for him to join St Mirren. After the Rotherham disaster he should, IMHO, have gone back to the drawing board, taken on something further down the leagues and tried to rebuild quietly from there. Coming back to Scotland to a team where the ambition is to stay up at all costs was always going to be hugely risky.

bigswissstriker
03-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Stubbs has proven since he left he is very average, maybe even below average. Even when he was here his record wasn’t that great.

From memory we lost 8 championship games in his last season charge, compare that to the 10 or 11 league games we’ve lost in the whole of lennons tenure and it doesn’t make for good reading. Especially considering Lennon has had a stint in the big league. Stubbs recruitment for us was good and the cup record excellent. But we would be daft to ever take him back after his last couple of failures.

Was it just me aswell who didn’t really find him too engaging when he spoke ? Seemed a bit lost sometimes and I also felt the players got away with a lot of half arsed performances against the guff of the championship and Stubbs would just say “unlucky”

NZ Green
03-09-2018, 01:03 PM
He also got us to the league cup final the same year as winning the Scottish Cup. Lost to a last minute goal, 2 cup finals isn't a fluke.

Diclonius
03-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Stubbs was the first manager we had in over 10 years who built a team that wasn't bullied by Hearts. That's an achievement in itself.

stoneyburn hibs
03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Far too early to be sacking any manager after 4 league games.

Smartie
03-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Stubbs has proven since he left he is very average, maybe even below average. Even when he was here his record wasn’t that great.

From memory we lost 8 championship games in his last season charge, compare that to the 10 or 11 league games we’ve lost in the whole of lennons tenure and it doesn’t make for good reading. Especially considering Lennon has had a stint in the big league. Stubbs recruitment for us was good and the cup record excellent. But we would be daft to ever take him back after his last couple of failures.

Was it just me aswell who didn’t really find him too engaging when he spoke ? Seemed a bit lost sometimes and I also felt the players got away with a lot of half arsed performances against the guff of the championship and Stubbs would just say “unlucky”

I liked the way he spoke, and he was very popular with the players as well.

He didn't quite grasp how cut throat, gung ho and positive you need to be to break down the Championship teams who have no intention of playing football against you but his cup record was immense and he was unlucky to have been in the Championship at the same time as Sevco and Hertz.

St Mirren and Rotherham were terrible career moves.

Stubbs had an eye for a player, and he knew what to do with the player when they arrived (he also dealt swiftly with his failures).

St Mirren would be mental to sack him. They're a club who have got a lot more wrong than right of late though, so it wouldn't surprise me.

G B Young
03-09-2018, 01:11 PM

His choice of clubs since leaving Hibs has been poor IMHO but his managerial performance since leaving us is of zero relevance to his time with us, when all things considered he gave us outstanding service. He rebuilt an utterly broken squad into one worth watching thanks to some terrific signings and finished above the huns in his first season as a manager. Second season we were neck and neck with the huns until the cup runs started to gather pace after Christmas and we hit a really bad spell in the league which cost us a play-off spot. Hardly a disaster given that he won us the Scottish Cup, the greatest thing to happen to Hibernian FC in living memory. As for how he spoke I always found him engaging and perceptive. Unlike Lennon, though, he didn't have several years of top flight managerial experience behind him and for a guy still learning the ropes he did more than OK.

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 01:19 PM
St Mirren fans hate him.

Lets be honest, he was an average manager in the league. Could get us playing for big teams but for the crap like Dumbarton etc he was average. Hearts & Sevco flattened that lot.

In the cups he was excellent and for that i'll always be thankful.

500miles
03-09-2018, 01:20 PM
Having a look at the transfermarkt page for St Mirren, he's got half a squad out injured, fairly long term. They were heavily dependent on Lewis Morgan last year, both for assists and goals, as well as being a ball carrier from midfield to attack.

He likes a challenge obviously.

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 01:25 PM
St Mirren fans hate him.

Lets be honest, he was an average manager in the league. Could get us playing for big teams but for the crap like Dumbarton etc he was average. Hearts & Sevco flattened that lot.

In the cups he was excellent and for that i'll always be thankful.

the fact that he completely rebuilt the football team after relegation , and long before the cup win had brought pride back to our club..something numerous managers since tried and failed to do ...tells me he is more than an average manager

J-C
03-09-2018, 01:29 PM
the fact that he completely rebuilt the football team after relegation , and long before the cup win had brought pride back to our club..something numerous managers since tried and failed to do ...tells me he is more than an average manager
Think Craig and Leeann had a lot to do with the players we got in, I thought we had a scouting system in place with Craig and Mathie that did all the dpnkey work.

IWasThere2016
03-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Compo negs are underway.

McIntyre in soon...

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 01:35 PM
Think Craig and Leeann had a lot to do with the players we got in, I thought we had a scouting system in place with Craig and Mathie that did all the dpnkey work.

I think the set up at Hibs helped him massively in terms of signing players. He has struggled in that department at both Rotherham and St Mirren. At Saints he signed a couple of boys from that Vardy academy who are nowhere near ready for first team football but he brought them in to contribute at this level.

Smartie
03-09-2018, 01:42 PM
I think the set up at Hibs helped him massively in terms of signing players. He has struggled in that department at both Rotherham and St Mirren. At Saints he signed a couple of boys from that Vardy academy who are nowhere near ready for first team football but he brought them in to contribute at this level.

I don't think we've recruited anything like as well since he left - that may be coincidence, it may not.

Lennon's greatest achievement has been in bringing on players who Stubbs brought to the club (and even a few who were here before).

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 01:43 PM

....none of those guys helped with what happened on the pitch after the guys came through the door - Stubbs brought life back into the football team at our club - it is often misrepresented when people reflect
On his Impact and on his achievements ...did a fantastic job at what was a club in severe decline

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 01:48 PM
....none of those guys helped with what happened on the pitch after the guys came through the door - Stubbs brought life back into the football team at our club - it is often misrepresented when people reflect
On his Impact and on his achievements ...did a fantastic job at what was a club in severe decline
Correct he did a fantastic job while he was here. He started with hardly any players in a championship that included hearts and the huns. We finished above the huns in the first season and in the second season competing in two cups took its toll on our league form. Up until we had to start playing twice a week every week we were right up there with the huns. His time at hibs shouldn’t be reduced to just stats.

The_Horde
03-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Compo negs are underway.

McIntyre in soon...

Superb use of that John Mcginn transfer kitty. :hilarious

Shame for him, he really messed up leaving us when he did.

FWIW I think if he was in charge when John and Dylan left he'd have had his eye on a superb replacement or two. We'd probably also not have been in Europe this season though.

Danderhall Hibs
03-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Not the right job for him to take on - their expectations are far too high after Fitzpatrick’s statement at the end of the season.

Robbie Neilson withdrew because he knew that his next job has to be the right one or it’s the end of him, unfortunately Stubbs obviously thought differently.

IWasThere2016
03-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Not the right job for him to take on - their expectations are far too high after Fitzpatrick’s statement at the end of the season.

Robbie Neilson withdrew because he knew that his next job has to be the right one or it’s the end of him, unfortunately Stubbs obviously thought differently.

Could be a matter of self confidence (for both). I agree it was the wrong gig - especially as Jack Ross had done so well/was adored etc..

DetroitHibs
03-09-2018, 03:48 PM
He'll end up like John Collins. Can't see him get many more opportunities after this. Like I said before he took the Buddies job.... average manager.

Dan Sarf
03-09-2018, 04:02 PM
He'll end up like John Collins. Can't see him get many more opportunities after this. Like I said before he took the Buddies job.... average manager.

:grr:

:gwa:

Scouse Hibee
03-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Maybe proves how much of a back room team effort it was at Hibs, can’t keep saying he has taken the wrong jobs. It’s looking more likely that he just can’t do it without those guys alongside him. Can’t really see him getting many other chances in management at this rate.

Lago
03-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Maybe proves how much of a back room team effort it was at Hibs, can’t keep saying he has taken the wrong jobs. It’s looking more likely that he just can’t do it without those guys alongside him. Can’t really see him getting many other chances in management at this rate.
Correct

J-C
03-09-2018, 04:28 PM

Don't think I was knocking Stubbs's training of players etc, just pointing out that the new scouting set up plus Leeann couldn't be overlooked during his time, also his 2 main backroom boys would've had a huge impact on training etc. You cannot say most of what happened when he was here was down to him, his later appointments maybe prove he can't do all that on his own.

monarch
03-09-2018, 05:10 PM
Looks like part of the McGinn add on (just under a million pounds ?) is going to be used for his compensation. Pity Saints didn’t use it to bring in some decent quality to replace the likes of Lewis Morgan to give Stubbs a chance.

Remember Jack Ross had a rocky start at Saints and was involved in a very public spat with supporters at the end of one of his early games.

Anyhow Stubbs will forever remain a legend at Hibs.

ancient hibee
03-09-2018, 05:17 PM
It was a poor career choice.They were always going to struggle with Morgan going.Stubbs doesn't seem to have been very wise in clearing out a few players who got promotion and replacing them with players from the lower divisions in England.

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 05:25 PM

Rebuilt the football team wasn’t a particularly massive challenge. He has a bigger budget than everyone bar Sevco and they were in an absolute state. He had the full backing of the board and he was never going to finish outside the top 3. The following seasons league performance was honkin. Great record against the big teams, poor v the rest.

jacomo
03-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Rebuilt the football team wasn’t a particularly massive challenge. He has a bigger budget than everyone bar Sevco and they were in an absolute state. He had the full backing of the board and he was never going to finish outside the top 3. The following seasons league performance was honkin. Great record against the big teams, poor v the rest.

:faf:

Right you are mate.

Tell us all about your experience in taking over a failing team, recruiting a load of new people and then getting them to outperform their predecessors in a matter of months, all the while with thousands of angry customers watching your every move.

We can all sit back and admire.

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 05:34 PM

hahaha... that "honkin" season was 1 point less than the next which won us the league (ignoring the two cup finals, one of them winning our biggest dream)...and as for dismissing the football team rebuild - come on - it was the biggest turnaround in my lifetime off watching us...we got our pride back, long before winning the cup.

Anyway, there will be no changing your view it's clear you are a already a big Stubbs fan...... :wink:

Allant1981
03-09-2018, 05:35 PM

you seriously think it wasnt easy to rebuild a full team?

Ronniekirk
03-09-2018, 05:37 PM
He had lost the majority of the Support after the group Cup games. Hardly any of his signings are deemed to have been successfull .Then the League form has not picked up .Sadly itvwould appear he has lost the dressing room ,and when that happens it's going to be hard to turn that around
Maybe he has tried to change too much too quickly .But it doesn't sound like he has a lot of backing ,and a parting of the way looks likely as things Stand .But it will cost a lot ,and the new incumbent is faced with underperforming players that by the sound of it harentbup to the Task Defensively they are all over the place

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 05:38 PM
:faf:

Right you are mate.

Tell us all about your experience in taking over a failing team, recruiting a load of new people and then getting them to outperform their predecessors in a matter of months, all the while with thousands of angry customers watching your every move.

We can all sit back and admire.

How could he outperform his predecessors? He was in the championship playing against part time janny’s, hairdressers and call centre workers and full time teams with budgets nowhere near ours. What predecessors were playing against them?

MWHIBBIES
03-09-2018, 05:40 PM

If rebuilding is so easy why are we struggling with it right now?

B.H.F.C
03-09-2018, 05:44 PM
I’ll just remember Stubbs for 21st May 2016.

I remember being absolutely raging at Falkirk when we got emptied in the playoffs the week before. And coming out of places like Dumbarton and Alloa (quite regularly) on the back of a defeat.

Glad the cup final was his last act and that he went when he did.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-09-2018, 05:45 PM

I was trying to find the right words that phrase comes as close to nailing it. Tinternet for you.

From where we came from when he picked us up to where he lead us was nothing short of astonishing.
“Average manager” To win a Scottish cup and come close to a double with the league cup whilst fighting on 3 fronts (And wasn’t Hanlon injured In the run in?).

Lets not go full circle on one of the most important managers in the clubs history if not arguable the most (for the obv reason).

IGRIGI
03-09-2018, 05:47 PM
Watching the reactions to any slight criticism of Stubbs is like reading about teenage girls losing their **** if someone criticises One Direction.

It's hilariously pathetic 😆

After failing to get Hibs promoted and finishing 3rd behind Falkirk, failing at Rotheram and now failing at St Mitten, hopefully it puts to bed all the cringeworhy "He'll be back after Lennon" posts.

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 05:47 PM
I’ll just remember Stubbs for 21st May 2016.

I remember being absolutely raging at Falkirk when we got emptied in the playoffs the week before. And coming out of places like Dumbarton and Alloa (quite regularly) on the back of a defeat.

Glad the cup final was his last act and that he went when he did.

Then you miss out some of his key contribution to Hibs history. He gave us joy and pride back in the team long before that cup final.

Of course there were some big lows..there are today and also will be..but the job he did in resurrecting us led to that cup final result..

adhibs
03-09-2018, 05:49 PM
A up qaesslooooo

hibbydog
03-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Scottish Cup winner. Legend.

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 05:57 PM
If rebuilding is so easy why are we struggling with it right now?

Really? We were in the Championship ffs. We were paying 3, 4, 5, 6 etc times more than the vast majority of that league. If he can’t get better players then he really would be hopeless.

As for struggling right now, are we?

There are plenty bed wetters that think we are but on the grand scheme of things, we’ve just had our best run in Europe in over 30 years and had 1 bad result in the league.

B.H.F.C
03-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Then you miss out some of his key contribution to Hibs history. He gave us joy and pride back in the team long before that cup final.

Of course there were some big lows..there are today and also will be..but the job he did in resurrecting us led to that cup final result..

I agree with that to a point.

Winning that cup was the best thing to ever happen to this club. It was a struggle along the way though with some terrible defeats and regularly playing in front of about 8k.

I’ll be forever grateful for the cup win and probably won’t ever experience anything like that as a Hibs supporter ever again. I just think the way it went after that, with him deciding to leave, was for the best. And as I say, with that being his final act, I just choose to forget what went before!

DetroitHibs
03-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Watching the reactions to any slight criticism of Stubbs is like reading about teenage girls losing their **** if someone criticises One Direction.

After failing to get Hibs promoted and finishing 3rd behind Falkirk, failing at Rotheram and now failing at St Mitten, hopefully it puts to bed all the cringeworhy "He'll be back after Lennon" posts.

Pretty much sums it up. Seems most people only focus on the SC win rather than the hundred of other games he's managed in his career.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-09-2018, 06:13 PM
I agree with that to a point.

Winning that cup was the best thing to ever happen to this club. It was a struggle along the way though with some terrible defeats and regularly playing in front of about 8k.

I’ll be forever grateful for the cup win and probably won’t ever experience anything like that as a Hibs supporter ever again. I just think the way it went after that, with him deciding to leave, was for the best. And as I say, with that being his final act, I just choose to forget what went before!

:agree:

Definitely for the best, with his place in the club's history is secure, an all time great thanks to 21.05.16.

Elephant Stone
03-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Can everyone who has written something positive about Alan Stubbs please apologise to IGRIGI for the embarrassment you have caused him.

cabbageandribs1875
03-09-2018, 06:31 PM
message for the rest of the SPFL managers, lose four goals to the sparryheids and yer toast

although admittedly it was probably other events as well :(

SingaporeHibs
03-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Hate to think how you’ll look back on Lennon given he only really needed to replace 3 starting midfielders this summer. I should remind that it was Stubbs who brought all 3 to the club (1st time around in SA case).

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Confirmation that he’s now been sacked. Don’t see him picking up another managers job in Scotland/England. Back to the punditry for a while I’m guessing.

Elephant Stone
03-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Confirmation that he’s now been sacked. Don’t see him picking up another managers job in Scotland/England. Back to the punditry for a while I’m guessing.

There's not a chance in hell he's finished managing in Scotland and England.

SirDavidsNapper
03-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Was looking forward to giving him a warm reception at ER. Think thats probably his managerial career over. Bet he rues the day he left Hibs.

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 07:04 PM
There's not a chance in hell he's finished managing in Scotland and England.

He’s going to have to take a significant drop down in level then surely? Going to take some convincing for a club to take a punt on him now.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2018, 07:06 PM
Alan Stubbs is an absolute bona fide ****ing legend. He can fail from now until the day I wear a Hearts scarf and sing the Gorgie Boys and I'd still defend the job he pulled off at Hibs.

The usual suspects love to have a pop at him and revel in his struggles. Baffling and pathetic.

Elephant Stone
03-09-2018, 07:11 PM
He’s going to have to take a significant drop down in level then surely? Going to take some convincing for a club to take a punt on him now.

I'm not sure but he's sure as hell not finished in the UK. Don't even think he necessarily needs to get a smaller club than St Mirren either.

Carheenlea
03-09-2018, 07:11 PM
I’d give him his own seat in the directors box. Treat the hospitality guests with a modern day hero to entertain them and he can pick up a few bob on the punditary gravy train. Got to be better than getting involved with clubs like St Mirren.

bigwheel
03-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Alan Stubbs is an absolute bona fide ****ing legend. He can fail from now until the day I wear a Hearts scarf and sing the Gorgie Boys and I'd still defend the job he pulled off at Hibs.

The usual suspects love to have a pop at him and revel in his struggles. Baffling and pathetic.

[emoji108][emoji736]

Billy Whizz
03-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Looks like the press have found this out early, and McIntyre seems to be getting the gig

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 07:13 PM
Hate to think how you’ll look back on Lennon given he only really needed to replace 3 starting midfielders this summer. I should remind that it was Stubbs who brought all 3 to the club (1st time around in SA case).

I can look back on Lennon really positively. I said Stubbs was great in the cups and poor in the league.

Lennon has been superb in the league. Promoted and then qualifies for Europe in his 1st season.

Heisenberg
03-09-2018, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure but he's sure as hell not finished in the UK. Don't even think he necessarily needs to get a smaller club than St Mirren either.

I certainly hope he gets another gig and proves himself.

Stuart93
03-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Made some incredibly poor career decisions since leaving us, set himself up for failure

Billy Whizz
03-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Sacked by player power seemingly, although results have been not so good

blackpoolhibs
03-09-2018, 07:28 PM
I'd say if we were ever to have a statue of the Famous Five out the front of our stadium, the next one after that should be of him for bringing that trophy because of what it meant at that time in history.

He's going to really have a proper think about what he does next though, as his choices since leaving us have been horrendous.

B.H.F.C
03-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Sacked by player power seemingly, although results have been not so good

Wonder what he did to upset them. When you consider how well he seemed to be liked by the players here.

heidtheba
03-09-2018, 07:31 PM
Gutted for him. One of the genuinely nicest sounding managers in a dugout ever, let alone a Hibs one. Was the band-aid we needed at a very bleak time and brought in some incredible players. He's also a man who was only beaten in the league we were in by Hearts and Rangers (which is something most managers we've had have struggled with) and set up a team who could so easily have won the League Cup, only losing through player errors it could be argued, and then beat Rangers to win our first SC in over a century. The latter came a week after a dire refereeing decision cost us a place in the play-offs.

Man's a legend AND a manager who could have won two cups with a championship side.

Billy Whizz
03-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Wonder what he did to upset them. When you consider how well he seemed to be liked by the players here.

I’d like to know too. Seemingly the captain, Stephen McGinn and the lad up front Smith, didn’t get on with him. All here say though

03-09-2018, 07:35 PM
I can look back on Lennon really positively. I said Stubbs was great in the cups and poor in the league.

Lennon has been superb in the league. Promoted and then qualifies for Europe in his 1st season.

Stubbs bailed while his stock was high after winning the Scottish Cup but two failed attempts at promotion was not good enough.
Took Lennon to instill the dig in the team that was required to get us out the Championship.

BILLYHIBS
03-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Dear oh dear !!

Sir David Gray
03-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Really sorry to hear this.

The man's a living legend, there should be a statue of him built outside Easter Road.

It's ridiculous how early clubs are giving managers the boot these days.

I hope St Mirren go down.

RossScott1991
03-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Alan Stubbs. The man who came in with next to nothing of a playing squad, Hanlon and Lewy. Built the foundations, brought in some marvellous players who would go on to become Hibernian legends and some of my favourites ever watching Hibs. Seen us through one of the most important periods in our history, from polar bear Logan, Sir David Gray, class defender Mcgregor. He made John McGinn “super” - midfield Maestro in Mcgeough. Stokesys on fire and Hammer of the Hearts Cummings.

Destroying rangers 4.0 at Easter Road. And pumping them a fair few times along the way.
Malonga solo goal vs Aberdeen
Last minute Hanlon at Tynecastle
Conrad Logan heroics at hampden
Cummings 1.0 in cup replay - the best ever rendition of SOL IMO
And of course that day in May.

I don’t care about the low moments, and not getting us promoted.. we were always going to get back to where we belong eventually. I will only ever remember the great days he provided us, he made me fall back in love with Hibs again after the Fenlon/Butcher era. He made me believe we could compete and beat anyone, going to Easter Road didn’t seem like a chore again. Of course he had a lot of help along the way, Doolan & Dempster to name two.

I will never understand anyone who can say a bad word about this man. The Stubbs era is one I look back on fondly and consider a success. Good luck whatever you do next Stubbsy.. thank you for giving me some wonderful moments following my team. Your name will always be associated in the best possible way at Hibs.

Pretty Boy
03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Really sorry to hear this.

The man's a living legend, there should be a statue of him built outside Easter Road.

It's ridiculous how early clubs are giving managers the boot these days.

I hope St Mirren go down.

Obviously performances are an issue but 3 of their defeats have been against Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen. I wonder what their expectations are from such a run of fixtures. Of the 2 games they should be competing in he won one and lost one.

It's a poor start no doubt but is it sacking form? I'm not so sure.

truehibernian
03-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Alan Stubbs. The man who came in with next to nothing of a playing squad, Hanlon and Lewy. Built the foundations, brought in some marvellous players who would go on to become Hibernian legends and some of my favourites ever watching Hibs. Seen us through one of the most important periods in our history, from polar bear Logan, Sir David Gray, class defender Mcgregor. He made John McGinn “super” - midfield Maestro in Mcgeough. Stokesys on fire and Hammer of the Hearts Cummings.

Destroying rangers 4.0 at Easter Road. And pumping them a fair few times along the way.

I don’t care about the low moments, and not getting us promoted.. we were always going to get back to where we belong eventually. I will only ever remember the great days he provided us, he made me fall back in love with Hibs again after the Fenlon/Butcher era. He made me believe we could compete and beat anyone, going to Easter Road didn’t seem like a chore again. Of course he had a lot of help along the way, Doolan & Dempster to name two.

I will never understand anyone who can say a bad word about this man. The Stubbs era is one I look back on fondly and consider a success. Good luck whatever you do next Stubbsy.. thank you for giving me some wonderful moments following my team. Your name will always be associated in the best possible way at Hibs.

:top marksend thread here :aok:

calumhibee1
03-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Wonder if he’d ever be interested in coming back to us as the under 20s gaffer if the position ever became available? Same sort of role as he had at Everton..

WoreTheGreen
03-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Made me the happiest man on the planet

Mick O'Rourke
03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
There are Hibernian flags and scarfs with the words.
"Pride of Edinburgh"

If any one man is responsible for putting the "Pride" back into our club after years in the doldrums.

I give you Alan Stubbs.

It could be said that he is a lot "weaker" without John and Taff alongside him.

Maybe so...

However ....

Hugh Shaw ,Bob Shankly, Jock Stein and Eddie Turnbull (all great managers/coaches) in my lifetime failed to find the Holy Grail....

Alan did.....

J-C
03-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Obviously performances are an issue but 3 of their defeats have been against Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen. I wonder what their expectations are from such a run of fixtures.

If the rumours are true that he's lost the dressing room and fallen out with 2 important players, then the board look to have sided with the players, which is disgusting, definitely missing the influence on the players Doolan and Taff had.

Beefster
03-09-2018, 07:51 PM
St Mirren and its fans are getting a bit above their station, no?

Bishop Hibee
03-09-2018, 07:51 PM

A quite superb post. God bless Alan Stubbs, Hibernian legend.

tamig
03-09-2018, 07:52 PM

Tony Fitzpatrick is a fantasist of the highest order where his club is concerned.

tamig
03-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Fabulous post and I echo your sentiments.

Brizo
03-09-2018, 07:59 PM
There are Hibernian flags and scarfs with the words.
"Pride of Edinburgh"

If any one man put the "Pride" back into our club after years in the doldrums.
I give you Alan Stubbs.

It could be said that he is a lot "weaker" without the John and Taff alongside him.
However ....
Hugh Shaw ,Bob Shankly, Jock Stein and Eddie Turnbull (all great managers/coaches) in my lifetime failed to find the Holy Grail.... Alan did

In an era where the word "legend" is used to frequently Stubbsy is a bonafide Hibernian legend. Fans will be able to name him, his assistants and the SCF winning team in 50 / 100 years. How anyone can have a go at him is beyond me

Also agree that Doolan and Holden were instrumental in not only the tactical side of things but in building the team spirit that was so obvious during their time at ER.

Lago
03-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Really feel sad for him.😟

MWHIBBIES
03-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Really? We were in the Championship ffs. We were paying 3, 4, 5, 6 etc times more than the vast majority of that league. If he can’t get better players then he really would be hopeless.

As for struggling right now, are we?

There are plenty bed wetters that think we are but on the grand scheme of things, we’ve just had our best run in Europe in over 30 years and had 1 bad result in the league.Doesn't matter what league were we in, we were arguably signing better players in that league than we are now.

Obviously right now things are that bad but we certainly aren't making rebuilding look simple.

We've had 3 bad results in the league, 4 wins from 4 is what we should be expecting from those 4 games IMO. Don't think that's unreasonable. 2 poor teams away from home and 2 home games.

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Stubbs bailed while his stock was high after winning the Scottish Cup but two failed attempts at promotion was not good enough.
Took Lennon to instill the dig in the team that was required to get us out the Championship.

This

Islington Hibs
03-09-2018, 08:08 PM
Absurd. To fire any manager after so few games is frankly ridiculous outside gross misconduct. He deserves better than that. I wish him well, more than I do St Mirren.

pacoluna
03-09-2018, 08:10 PM

Rotherham, absolutely disastrous under Stubbs resulting in relegation. Sack Stubbs come straight back up and are looking a decent side at championship level.

St Mirren unbelievable two seasons under jack Ross, firstly keeping them up then promotion. Then Stubbs joins,ends up being sacked.

Two clubs, two totally different situations. So what exactly is the correct club to manage for Stubbs?

Im not going to go into the pros and cons of his tenure at hibs as i've been over it multiple times. But to me it's no shock he's failed at st Mirren as he isn't a particularly good manager. I said at the start of the season they would go straight back down because of the appointment.

Tornadoes70
03-09-2018, 08:23 PM

:top marks

Great post.

lord bunberry
03-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Rotherham, absolutely disastrous under Stubbs resulting in relegation. Sack Stubbs come straight back up and are looking a decent side at championship level.

St Mirren unbelievable two seasons under jack Ross, firstly keeping them up then promotion. Then Stubbs joins,ends up being sacked.

Two clubs, two totally different situations. So what exactly is the correct club to manage for Stubbs?

Im not going to go into the pros and cons of his tenure at hibs as i've been over it multiple times. But to me it's no shock he's failed at st Mirren as he isn't a particularly good manager. I said at the start of the season they would go straight back down because of the appointment.
I don’t know how you can say he failed after only 8 games. They’re only two points behind rangers in the league.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Great post.

stoneyburn hibs
03-09-2018, 08:34 PM
St Mirren and its fans are getting a bit above their station, no?

Absolutely, then to have to use the SJM windfall to pay Stubbs compensation.
Ludicrous decision at this stage of the season.

BullsCloseHibs
03-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Stubbs. Legend. Always.

pacoluna
03-09-2018, 08:40 PM

Ah the usual binkered crap. As soon as any slight criticism comes in.

This opinion that those of us who weren't too impressed with his managerial record with us, somehow don't appreciate the scottish cup win or him for winning it is a lot of nonsense. It's the same repeated patronizing comment's that come out all the time over and over, as a previous poster said its extremely petty.

Hibbyradge
03-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Not really, it's just blinkered crap.

This opinion that those of us who weren't too impressed with his managerial record with us, somehow don't appreciate the scottish cup win or him for winning it is a lot of nonsense. It's the same repeated patronizing comment's that come out all the time over and over, as a previous poster said its extremely petty.

It's not blinkered and it's not crap.

I wouldn't have traded the SC Cup win for promotion by 30 points.

Of course it was a disappointment that he never got us up, but the cup win surpassed that by a country mile.

What did Eddie Turnbull do that eclipsed out SC win after 114 years and he's held in utmost esteem.

Pete
03-09-2018, 08:43 PM

All these “look at me and how opinionated I am” posts are getting really tiring. I wish message boards would rewind to the times where every erse under the sun didn’t have a smartphone.

matty_f
03-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Brilliant post. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Allant1981
03-09-2018, 08:47 PM
he will always be a legend for winning the cup and the rebuild of the team but his record suggests he isnt a very good manager, he had a very good background team at hibs and without them all he has failed at 2 clubs since, yes the st mirren gig seems to have been players going against him but he will need to learn how to manage difficult people in order to be a success

we are hibs
03-09-2018, 08:48 PM

It's hilariously pathetic that you and a few others have a strange hate about a Hibernian legend. In 20 and 30 years time Alan Stubbs will be remembered as the man who won us the Scottish cup, turned the club around from one of its darkest points and set us on our way back to the top flight by building a fine squad. That's the facts

Winston Ingram
03-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Doesn't matter what league were we in, we were arguably signing better players in that league than we are now.

Obviously right now things are that bad but we certainly aren't making rebuilding look simple.

We've had 3 bad results in the league, 4 wins from 4 is what we should be expecting from those 4 games.

Of course it does. It’s a lower level so much easier to get the required quality for that level.

As for rebuild, he brought in Gray, Allan and Farid. Then later on Liam & Fyvie. The squad was pretty much the same.

As for yer 3 bad results. They weren’t ideal but they certainly weren’t bad. We didn’t beat St Johnstone at all last season and I wouldn’t see draw against last seasons runners up

pacoluna
03-09-2018, 08:54 PM
All these “look at me and how opinionated I am” posts are getting really tiring. I wish message boards would rewind to the times where every erse under the sun didn’t have a smartphone.

And the likes of yourself is why people back of this forum.

The Spaceman
03-09-2018, 08:56 PM

:applause:

The man gave me the best day I have had, and ever will have, as a Hibs supporter. Everything we went through prior to that point was suddenly worth it, even though that seemed completely unimaginable 2 seasons prior. Complete legend regardless of what happened in his league campaigns.

Northernhibee
03-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Stubbs had a very slow start with us and ended up leaving a club legend. Way, way, way too early to get rid of the man.

mutley
03-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Am i the only one that was looking forward to seeing him back at ER when we play St Mirren? I’d imagine there would have been a rendition of the “Stubsy, Stubsy” chat.

Shame that won’t happen now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

poolman
03-09-2018, 09:07 PM

They didn't cost you £80, it was yourself that did that

Hiber-nation
03-09-2018, 09:15 PM
It's hilariously pathetic that you and a few others have a strange hate about a Hibernian legend. In 20 and 30 years time Alan Stubbs will be remembered as the man who won us the Scottish cup, turned the club around from one of its darkest points and set us on our way back to the top flight by building a fine squad. That's the facts

Spot on. Alan Stubbs played a massive part in giving me back my football club.

Some desperate attention-seekers on this thread.

OsloHibs
03-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Always a legend to me.

One Day
03-09-2018, 09:17 PM

Excellent post, That's how I feel too

bodhibs
03-09-2018, 09:40 PM

How would posts work pre smartphone? By written appointment?

hibee_girl
03-09-2018, 09:41 PM

What an excellent post.

Fail to see how anyone can disagree with it.

hibbyfraelibby
03-09-2018, 09:45 PM
Will the professional vulture Ray MacKinnon now be the first manager of three different clubs in a fortnight?

Danderhall Hibs
03-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Could be a matter of self confidence (for both). I agree it was the wrong gig - especially as Jack Ross had done so well/was adored etc..

I don’t think Neilson was lacking confidence I just think he thought they’re well above their station and setting unrealistic targets I’m steering well clear.

Big mistake/desperation from Stubbsy.

Danderhall Hibs
03-09-2018, 09:51 PM

One that give him a few months and isn’t above its station would be a start - the fans have bought into a completely ridiculous statement from their DoF and he’s on the end of it.

Rotherham binned him after a couple of months as well. Hardly got his feet under the table.

Tony Fitzpatrick is a fantasist of the highest order where his club is concerned.

Certainly appears that way - the fans seem to have been sold on it while everyone else is thinking the guy was letting the emotion get the better of him while he spouted nonsense.

Danderhall Hibs
03-09-2018, 09:53 PM

Laptops and pc’s?

guthrie01
03-09-2018, 09:56 PM

Like many others have said, great post. The style and players he brought into this club transformed us completely and ultimately set the stones for our hopefully continued success.

jacomo
03-09-2018, 10:00 PM

The current manager at Rotherham says the culture wasn’t right within the club a couple of years ago.

pacoluna
03-09-2018, 10:14 PM
The current manager at Rotherham says the culture wasn’t right within the club a couple of years ago.

Similar to St Mirren atm, unlike last season.

Under Warnock Rotherham stayed up and went on a superb unbeaten run, so the culture wasn't wrong at that point in time.

He had a blank canvas at hibs and to a certain extent it worked out for him. It looks to me that he's used the same approach with st Mirren and Rotherham when they were in totally different situations.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
03-09-2018, 10:28 PM

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Michael
03-09-2018, 10:48 PM
He must have fell out with the chairman. There's no way he's getting sacked for losing to Rangers and Hearts. The only game they'd expect to do better was Livingston - but that's offset by the Dundee win.

Time For Heroes
04-09-2018, 12:03 AM

This should be vaulted.
Absolutely brilliant post

Hi Heid Yin
04-09-2018, 12:08 AM
It's not blinkered and it's not crap.

I wouldn't have traded the SC Cup win for promotion by 30 points.

Of course it was a disappointment that he never got us up, but the cup win surpassed that by a country mile.

What did Eddie Turnbull do that eclipsed out SC win after 114 years and he's held in utmost esteem.

This is an unfair and pointless argument: Eddie Turnbull managed us in the top league, not the 2nd tier.
Eddie brought us The League Cup, 2 Dryborough Cups (yes, this competition was taken seriously by all our rivals too), fantastic European nights, and twice runners up to the greatest Celtic team in history.
He made Hibs one of the most attractive and feared sides in Britain and not just Scotland.

Alan Stubbs is a legend and an immortal - a manager I loved and wanted so bad to take us up from the 2nd tier, but sadly he failed twice in this respect. This said, he did a fantastic job in building a great side and bringing in quality players, the bulk of whom served Neil Lennon well in his promotion-winning campaign. Stubbsy brought entertainment and made it a joy to walk to Easter Road again. He was a gentleman and utterly personable and left us with a legacy of magic moments and unforgettable games.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Car crash in slowmo this.

Beefster
04-09-2018, 05:43 AM

I used to write mine in triplicate with carbon paper before sending it down to the typing pool to be spell-checked and posted.

Chinged deys indeed.

Winston Ingram
04-09-2018, 05:46 AM

Stubbs had followed 2 superbly successful managers. They’d went on an incredible run to stay up. 11 games unbeaten. Culture was fine then. Culture at St Mirren was excellent an aw.

Winston Ingram
04-09-2018, 05:49 AM
He must have fell out with the chairman. There's no way he's getting sacked for losing to Rangers and Hearts. The only game they'd expect to do better was Livingston - but that's offset by the Dundee win.

He had 5 league cup games including a draw at home to Spartans, a draw at Queens Park and a 4-0 pumping at the sheep. The St Mirren fans wanted him gone then.

They then beat an awful Dundee side thanks to a ridiculous goalkeeping mistake, lost to a ten man Sevco team, lost to Livi at home and got battered at the PBS. They were a well organised side last year.

heretoday
04-09-2018, 06:01 AM
Come back to ER, Stubbsy! (and take us down to the championship)

Only kidding!

BILLYHIBS
04-09-2018, 06:12 AM
This is an unfair and pointless argument: Eddie Turnbull managed us in the top league, not the 2nd tier.
Eddie brought us The League Cup, 2 Dryborough Cups (yes, this competition was taken seriously by all our rivals too), fantastic European nights, and twice runners up to the greatest Celtic team in history.
He made Hibs one of the most attractive and feared sides in Britain and not just Scotland.

Alan Stubbs is a legend and an immortal - a manager I loved and wanted so bad to take us up from the 2nd tier, but sadly he failed twice in this respect. This said, he did a fantastic job in building a great side and bringing in quality players, the bulk of whom served Neil Lennon well in his promotion-winning campaign. Stubbsy brought entertainment and made it a joy to walk to Easter Road again. He was a gentleman and utterly personable and left us with a legacy of magic moments and unforgettable games.
Agree with this 100% I don’t think you can compare Eddie Turnbull with Alan Stubbs They were two totally different Managers different eras and at different points in our history.

Eddie Turnbull was a fantastic coach ahead of his time who built a fantastic football team. Anyone that had the privilege of watching the Tornadoes will tell you that.
His weakness was probably his poor man management skills and breaking up the Tornadoes too early.

Alan Stubbs took over the club at a difficult time brought in fresh exciting players who played exciting attacking football entertaining to watch but sadly fell just short in two Championship campaigns.

Eddie Turnbull is my hero and I do not think Alan Stubbs can hold a candle to him as a coach but yes Alan Stubbs did what no other coach has done since Dan McMichael he brought home the Holy Grail and I don’t know how my fellow hibbies feel about this but I think they should erect a statue to Alan Stubbs hands aloft outside the Main Entrance to the West holding the Scottish Cup with that puzzled look on his face that says “I dreamt it was going to be 3-1”

Thank you Stubbsy you will forever be immortal.

jacomo
04-09-2018, 07:01 AM

:agree: in spades

SirDavidsNapper
04-09-2018, 07:07 AM
I don't think St Mirren were the wrong choice for Stubbs. I actually think they were 100% the right choice. Decent club with a great infrastructure and good support, a club just promoted and on the crest of a wave. He didn't need to make wholesale changes but he did. Alan Stubbs is obviously a Hibs legend but from what the St Mirren fans are saying, and they'll know best, this one is on him.

Heisenberg
04-09-2018, 07:10 AM
I don't think St Mirren were the wrong choice for Stubbs. I actually think they were 100% the right choice. Decent club with a great infrastructure and good support, a club just promoted and on the crest of a wave. He didn't need to make wholesale changes but he did. Alan Stubbs is obviously a Hibs legend but from what the St Mirren fans are saying, and they'll know best, this one is on him.

Yeah not every job failure can be put down to it being the wrong choice. As you say, St Mirren fans all think he’s had a shocker and ruined the dressing room. A Hibs legend who perhaps needs Doolan and Holden behind him.

jacomo
04-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Obviously performances are an issue but 3 of their defeats have been against Rangers, Hearts and Aberdeen. I wonder what their expectations are from such a run of fixtures. Of the 2 games they should be competing in he won one and lost one.

It's a poor start no doubt but is it sacking form? I'm not so sure.

It’s a ridiculous decision.

Diclonius
04-09-2018, 07:13 AM

This is important

Hibeesmad
04-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Seems to me that he wasn’t given the funds he expected. Missed out on a few players due to other clubs offering more money, hard to replace the quality they have had over the previous years with no investment

Brightside
04-09-2018, 08:39 AM
Always going to struggle as soon as he brought Darren Jackson as his right hand man. Really disliked by many current pros

Squealing pig
04-09-2018, 08:44 AM
He won’t lose any sleep over not being st Mirren manager , tiny club , legend like Stubbs deserves better than that dross

Kato
04-09-2018, 08:45 AM

:aok: Says it all for me.

.Sean.
04-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Hope St Mirren go down and rot for years. Tinpot Weegie ****s

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Spokesman for Pie and Bovril , who is also a St Mirren fan was on Radio Scotland this morning was hinting that things had gone seriously awry off the park, or perhaps had never gone right to begin with. It looks like they just picked the wrong bloke.

ryantaylor
04-09-2018, 09:07 AM
He had 5 league cup games including a draw at home to Spartans, a draw at Queens Park and a 4-0 pumping at the sheep. The St Mirren fans wanted him gone then.

They then beat an awful Dundee side thanks to a ridiculous goalkeeping mistake, lost to a ten man Sevco team, lost to Livi at home and got battered at the PBS. They were a well organised side last year.

Well take Livi off your list of teams as we just lost to them home or not its a game we've got to win, Rangers no matter if they have 10 men should be disposing of teams like St Mirren and Hearts well there smashing everyone so don't blame Stubbs for any of those two. Considering the step up in quality no manager would have done much better. Jack Ross knew it would be a long season for Saints and he jumped ship.

LALthehibeeGAL
04-09-2018, 09:09 AM

what a fantastic post - I couldn't have put it better myself - this is how I feel. Good luck Stubbsy you deserve it.

Lal :agree:

Baader
04-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Nonsense from St Mirren. They sacked Danny Lennon as well not long after he won the League Cup. Clearly ideas above their station.

Humo
04-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Nonsense from St Mirren. They sacked Danny Lennon as well not long after he won the League Cup. Clearly ideas above their station.I really don't think it's fair to compare the two situations.

St Mirren clearly made a massive mistake sacking Lennon (and I said that at the time) however, it may not be a mistake of them to sack Stubbs especially if they can get McIntyre.

I really do rate Stubbs and loved him as a manager but I think McIntyre would be much better suited to St Mirren.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Islington Hibs
04-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Can everyone who has written something positive about Alan Stubbs please apologise to IGRIGI for the embarrassment you have caused him.

No!:greengrin

Stubbs and Dempster together have done more for this club that anyone since Turnbull.

All this 'he couldn't get us out of the Championship' is unfair. Season one no team, brought in brilliant players (one of who was subsequently sold for millions), got a real team spirit and started a togetherness with the support. Might be worth remembering Hearts and Rangers were also in that league so far from easy to get out of. Season two good progress, two cup finals one of which was legendary, and yes we fell at the last hurdle but realistically against Rangers it was never going to be easy. Winning the cup has propelled Hibs from frankly a failing outfit with 8000 fans to where we are today.

Stubbs created a team spirit, presided over some very good players joining the club and player stability, something that had been seriously lacking. We will never know exactly how much was him, his assistants, or Dempster, but for me he goes down as a great.

Yes poor choices since leaving Easter Road and what happened at St Mirren seems extraordinary, but I am saddened and perplexed that so many on this board criticise him.

re Lennon- H2 last season was the best Hibs team have seen but he has had his ups and downs and this year is his big test losing Stubbs midfield (through no fault of his own or the current board) but how they are replaced will determine, in my mind, how good Lennon really is.

pacoluna
04-09-2018, 10:28 AM
He won’t lose any sleep over not being st Mirren manager , tiny club , legend like Stubbs deserves better than that dross

What job is he going to land after getting sacked from st Mirren.

calumhibee1
04-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Alan Stubbs made us all fall in love with Hibs again. An absolute legend of a man.

Onion
04-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Alan Stubbs made us all fall in love with Hibs again. An absolute legend of a man.

Spot on.

Allant1981
04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

of course he did but does that mean his managerial skills cant be questioned 2 years after leaving us?

Betty Boop
04-09-2018, 11:03 AM
Cannae believe the arrogance of some folk on this thread. St Mirren have got ideas above their station blah blah blah. Cringeworthy !

WeeRussell
04-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Cannae believe the arrogance of some folk on this thread. St Mirren have got ideas above their station blah blah blah. Cringeworthy !

Why? They'd say the same about us if we sacked a manager so early under these circumstances.

*By 'they' I meant the same posters.. but would apply to St Mirren fans too!