PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs

Pages : 1 [2]

Gloucester Hibs
04-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Why? They'd say the same about us if we sacked a manager so early under these circumstances.

Yep, plus, other than Sauzee I can't recall a manager we've bulleted who hasn't had a 'fair crack of the whip'. Indeed you could argue with several we've waited too long before dispensing of their services. Hibs don't really do knee-jerk managerial sackings.

Lago
04-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Unfortunately fell into the old trap of stamping his own mark on the team, forgetting that if it ain't broke etc. Recruitment policy was an absolute disaster. I agree withe an earlier poster that Stubbs plus his 2 assistants were great ar ER, without them not so good.

G B Young
04-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Yep, plus, other than Sauzee I can't recall a manager we've bulleted who hasn't had a 'fair crack of the whip'. Indeed you could argue with several we've waited too long before dispensing of their services. Hibs don't really do knee-jerk managerial sackings.

The board made a mistake appointing Sauzee. There was huge goodwill towards him and it would have been wonderful if he'd taken to it like a duck to water, but I doubt he even thought about managing Hibs until he was offered the chance to do so and it very quickly became apparent it wasn't right for him. A shame that his time at Hibs ended that way but at least he maintained his record of never losing a derby!

WeeRussell
04-09-2018, 11:30 AM
The board made a mistake appointing Sauzee. There was huge goodwill towards him and it would have been wonderful if he'd taken to it like a duck to water, but I doubt he even thought about managing Hibs until he was offered the chance to do so and it very quickly became apparent it wasn't right for him. A shame that his time at Hibs ended that way but at least he maintained his record of never losing a derby!

Ashamed to say I genuinely wasn't aware of that record!

Gloucester Hibs
04-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Ashamed to say I genuinely wasn't aware of that record!

It's a great stat! Not one that (I think) the ****bos can match? Only one derby as manager mind, the 1-1 at the PBS with John O'Neil equalising right at the death :greengrin

calumhibee1
04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
of course he did but does that mean his managerial skills cant be questioned 2 years after leaving us?

His managerial skills won us the cup and brought us numerous great results. I don’t doubt he’s got weaknesses, potentially even fairly significant weaknesses, but I’ll always look back on his time as Hibs manager fondly and that’s even before we talk about the Scottish Cup.

AndyM_1875
04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
It's not blinkered and it's not crap.

I wouldn't have traded the SC Cup win for promotion by 30 points.

Of course it was a disappointment that he never got us up, but the cup win surpassed that by a country mile.

What did Eddie Turnbull do that eclipsed out SC win after 114 years and he's held in utmost esteem.

Cup wins are wonderful but seriously don't compare them to a legend like Eddie Turnbull's team. Off the top of my head I can recall teams like Inverness, St Johnstone, Dundee United, Killie, St Mirren and that pub team from west Edinburgh winning the Scottish Cup. Not one of them have made the sort of mark Turnbull's Tornadoes did.

Eddie's record for most of the 1970s was magnificent. Sure he didn't win the Scottish Cup (he did that at Aberdeen) but he managed to beat one of the most powerful Celtic sides in living memory at Hampden three times as HIbs manager. He finished runner up to them in the league regularly. He destroyed Rangers regularly at a time when they won the ECWC and Eddie also took Hibs into Europe managing us when no less than Bill Shankly's Liverpool side were humbled at Easter Road.
Oh and then there was a certain game at Tynecastle.

Allant1981
04-09-2018, 12:55 PM
His managerial skills won us the cup and brought us numerous great results. I don’t doubt he’s got weaknesses, potentially even fairly significant weaknesses, but I’ll always look back on his time as Hibs manager fondly and that’s even before we talk about the Scottish Cup.

yip he won the cup and will forever be a club legend for it but he failed to get us out the league 2 seasons on the bounce and now getting sacked from 2 jobs on the bounce doesnt look good, again nothing will ever take away from the cup win

Wilson
04-09-2018, 02:00 PM

I think the onus was on Sauzee to show improvement quickly. A manager with pedigree in management could claim to not have had a fair crack of the whip. Sauzee was given a shot, and and with no track record to justify a wait and see approach, couldn't expect more than that.

So I agree. We don't do knee-jerk. Probably in part because some of our board are too stubborn and slow to admit when they've got it wrong.

Pretty Boy
04-09-2018, 03:40 PM
It's a great stat! Not one that (I think) the ****bos can match? Only one derby as manager mind, the 1-1 at the PBS with John O'Neil equalising right at the death :greengrin

Scenes that day. Guy next to me uttered the brilliant line of 'Hibs never score last minute goals' just before O'Neill smashed it home. We had a chance to win it at the end but Townsley miscontrolled in the box. O'Connors first start as well iirc.

The best part of that game was they battered us for long spells and that and that made the equaliser all the sweeter. There was an irony in a Hearts fan phoning one of the football phone ins the following week complaining about us 'celebrating a flukey draw like they's just won the ****ing league.'

where'stheslope
04-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Cup wins are wonderful but seriously don't compare them to a legend like Eddie Turnbull's team. Off the top of my head I can recall teams like Inverness, St Johnstone, Dundee United, Killie, St Mirren and that pub team from west Edinburgh winning the Scottish Cup. Not one of them have made the sort of mark Turnbull's Tornadoes did.

Eddie's record for most of the 1970s was magnificent. Sure he didn't win the Scottish Cup (he did that at Aberdeen) but he managed to beat one of the most powerful Celtic sides in living memory at Hampden three times as HIbs manager. He finished runner up to them in the league regularly. He destroyed Rangers regularly at a time when they won the ECWC and Eddie also took Hibs into Europe managing us when no less than Bill Shankly's Liverpool side were humbled at Easter Road.
Did Dundee United not get to a European Final to lose to Gothenberg?
Thought Jim MacLean's teams were always competitive and well organised!
Though Turnbull's record is second to none out with the Old Firm, but there have been other teams through the years that have pushed the Old Firm all the way in league and cups.
Teams that come to mind are Aberdeen and Dundee United in the 80's and even Hertz in the 50's.
Every team has cherished memories, unfortunately because of the duopoly in the west, most of their memories are infrequent as I hate to say it is ours!!!

ads913
04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
i did hear a story about stmirren players calling,shouting Stubbs an english **nt and other non complementary comments during half time as they walked down the tunnel 2 weeks ago. might be related.

Northernhibee
04-09-2018, 08:59 PM
i did hear a story about stmirren players calling,shouting Stubbs an english **nt and other non complementary comments during half time as they walked down the tunnel 2 weeks ago. might be related.

They should be sacked then.

Lemonade
04-09-2018, 09:15 PM

No danger did that happen.

Forza Fred
04-09-2018, 11:52 PM

And someone told me a story about three eyed pink and brown monsters climbing up the apple tree near me and eating babies.

Think that’s similarly believable to the one you heard

ads913
05-09-2018, 07:45 AM
No danger did that happen.
whether its true or not don't shoot the messenger I put the story forward to see if there is any more traction in that story. The source cannot be named (sorry the usual) but he wears black. Never the less Stubbs was treated poorly by the sacking.

SirDavidsNapper
05-09-2018, 08:34 AM

Any professional footballer who comes out with nonsense like that should be banned

Hibbyradge
05-09-2018, 08:51 AM

I'm not comparing the two managers' records. I'm saying that Stubbs achieved something bigger than Turnbull did.

He won the holy grail with a team outside the top league.

Legendary stuff.

heretoday
05-09-2018, 09:00 AM
I'm not comparing the two managers' records. I'm saying that Stubbs achieved something bigger than Turnbull did.

Legendary stuff.

Correct. Winning the Scottish Cup against all the odds was a truly magnificent achievement.

In Turnbull's time Hibs were actually supposed to be contenders every year and yet only had the League Cup to show. We saw some great football along the way but it's major trophies that count.

Beefster
05-09-2018, 11:25 AM

How did the numerous St Mirren players who are English feel about that?

Billy Whizz
05-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Another managerial resignation/sacking today
Barry smith leaves Raith Rovers, top of Div 2.
Unless he’s been tapped up for the Morton job?

Lago
05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Now there's a thought.

05-09-2018, 12:09 PM

whether its true or not don't shoot the messenger I put the story forward to see if there is any more traction in that story. The source cannot be named (sorry the usual) but he wears black. Never the less Stubbs was treated poorly by the sacking.

Johnny Cash? Will Smith? Tommy Lee Jones?

Puddocky
05-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Paisley Panda? Wears black (and white).

blackpoolhibs
05-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Legendary stuff.

I'm sure Eddie won the Scottish cup for Aberdeen, not with Hibs but he's still got that on his CV along with lots more.

ads913
05-09-2018, 01:39 PM
Paisley Panda? Wears black (and white).

love these threads. none these guys are match officals however.

JimBHibees
05-09-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm sure Eddie won the Scottish cup for Aberdeen, not with Hibs but he's still got that on his CV along with lots more.

He definitely did, 3-1 v Celtic.

Wilson
05-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Richard Lewis? Noel Fielding? The Punisher?

Iggy Pope
05-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Richard Lewis? Noel Fielding? The Punisher?

Willie Wilson? Lev Yashin? Gene Vincent? Alvin Stardust?

IWasThere2016
05-09-2018, 03:20 PM

Smith poorly treated by RRFC Board by some accounts..

snedzuk
05-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Willie Wilson? Lev Yashin? Gene Vincent? Alvin Stardust?

Marilyn Manson? My secretary?

SaulGoodman
05-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Paper? Snow? A GHOST?

HoboHarry
05-09-2018, 03:34 PM
He did win the SC with Aberdeen but they were not playing outwith the top league at the time.......

Fergos
05-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Marilyn Manson? My secretary?

The Jesus and Mary Chain, surely not both of them?

Wilson
05-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Paper? Snow? A GHOST?

Wrong thread.

G B Young
06-09-2018, 12:07 PM
If you were a St Mirren fan would you see this guy as a less risky appointment than Stubbs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45429323

JimBHibees
06-09-2018, 12:21 PM
If you were a St Mirren fan would you see this guy as a less risky appointment than Stubbs?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45429323

Agree actually think they were very trigger happy getting rid of Stubbs when they did. Sure they have had poor results however doesnt really look like he has been given much to play with financially.

Speedway
06-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Wouldn't have thought he'd have much use for a CV these days.

Agree actually think they were very trigger happy getting rid of Stubbs when they did. Sure they have had poor results however doesnt really look like he has been given much to play with financially.

How long did they Ian Murray, 16 games or so before he 'resigned' ?

cleanyman
06-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Stubbs reminds me of Terry Butcher in a way where he will only ever be successful at one club. Its written in the stars.

He will be a complete failure everywhere else. Next move for him will probably be the championship in Scotland or league 2 in England.

pacorosssco
07-09-2018, 12:26 AM

Yes Jack Ross might have had similar results.

Ryan69
07-09-2018, 05:33 AM
Stubbs reminds me of Terry Butcher in a way where he will only ever be successful at one club. Its written in the stars.

He will be a complete failure everywhere else. Next move for him will probably be the championship in Scotland or league 2 in England.

I dont think your right there.
I reckon he needs a club where theres no huge pressure and time to develop players.

You also have to remember that half the team was injured when he was there....so it was never going to happen immediately.

worcesterhibby
07-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Gary Player ? Steve Jobs ? An undertaker ?

Rory
07-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Half a chess set? The Stranglers?

WeeRussell
07-09-2018, 11:37 AM

THE undertaker?

Lago
07-09-2018, 11:43 AM
I dont think your right there.
I reckon he needs a club where theres no huge pressure and time to develop players.

You also have to remember that half the team was injured when he was there....so it was never going to happen immediately.
I think he will end up as a number 2 much in the way Colin Calderwood has.

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Yes, he did, but we're talking about Hibs achievements.

I loved watching the Tornadoes, the wonderful football, the great results and the magical European nights, but the best football day I've ever experienced, without a shred of doubt, was on 21.5.16.

Ironically, it was because of the previous 45 years or so of failure that finally winning it was so joyous.

Turnbull - legend

Stubbs - legend

Hibbyradge
07-09-2018, 03:21 PM
THE undertaker?

The Standard Life widow? A Muslim woman? Me sometimes?

Prof. Shaggy
07-09-2018, 05:18 PM

All of Them.

SingaporeHibs
07-09-2018, 07:06 PM

I can’t take this too seriously and i’m Questioning myself for why the hell I would respond to such bs. Reminds you of Butcher? Wtf were you watching between Butchers reign and what Stubbs did for our/my club.
Let’s make this clear, we all know what happened to us under Butcher but Stubbs took a team with very few playing staff to a team that could have competed in the SPL.
Yes, I hear people saying we didn’t get promoted until the Lennon season but Stubbs built the side from nothing. The Jambos were a year in the planning so smashed year 1, year 2 the Huns took it home while we suffered from being too good (with too small a squad) and far too many games for the squad of our size.
Why do I hold Stubbs in such high regard? He built a Hibs team from nothing and gave us the best footballing midfield in the county. Our biggest issue at the time was a lack of fire power, Cummings did his best but had we had more money at the time we should have had better to finish the chance after chance we created.
We went on to May 2016 and overnight that team smashed the Hibs’it mentality. The single biggest event of our clubs recent history. That team Stubbs built was growing year after year, it was getting more experienced and better. When we came out after the cup final the team stood up, they looked more confident than ever before and that was before Lennon had any influence. Lennon had an easy ride given there was no Hearts, Rangers & even Falkirk had imploded by that 3rd season, so there really was no competition for Lennon to overcome.
Some people really don’t get what Stubbs did for us. Yes, I get the disappointment of Hearts rocking year 1(as I said they had a year planning that), the Huns outspending and our huge number of games explains year 2. I think I could have taken over after Stubbs and got us through that 3rd season.
Some folks are way too quick to forget all the circumstances through those years.
As some have said already, after years of backwards, Stubbs lifted us from that to a team people wanted to watch.
There is no doubt his backroom team helped him and it’s sad those guys didn’t stay together but Stubbs was the main man.
God bless the Scottish Cup winning Legend Stubbs.

cleanyman
07-09-2018, 07:20 PM
I can’t take this too seriously and i’m Questioning myself for why the hell I would respond to such bs. Reminds you of Butcher? Wtf were you watching between Butchers reign and what Stubbs did for our/my club.
Let’s make this clear, we all know what happened to us under Butcher but Stubbs took a team with very few playing staff to a team that could have competed in the SPL.
Yes, I hear people saying we didn’t get promoted until the Lennon season but Stubbs built the side from nothing. The Jambos were a year in the planning so smashed year 1, year 2 the Huns took it home while we suffered from being too good (with too small a squad) and far too many games for the squad of our size.
Why do I hold Stubbs in such high regard? He built a Hibs team from nothing and gave us the best footballing midfield in the county. Our biggest issue at the time was a lack of fire power, Cummings did his best but had we had more money at the time we should have had better to finish the chance after chance we created.
We went on to May 2016 and overnight that team smashed the Hibs’it mentality. The single biggest event of our clubs recent history. That team Stubbs built was growing year after year, it was getting more experienced and better. When we came out after the cup final the team stood up, they looked more confident than ever before and that was before Lennon had any influence. Lennon had an easy ride given there was no Hearts, Rangers & even Falkirk had imploded by that 3rd season, so there really was no competition for Lennon to overcome.
Some people really don’t get what Stubbs did for us. Yes, I get the disappointment of Hearts rocking year 1(as I said they had a year planning that), the Huns outspending and our huge number of games explains year 2. I think I could have taken over after Stubbs and got us through that 3rd season.
Some folks are way too quick to forget all the circumstances through those years.
As some have said already, after years of backwards, Stubbs lifted us from that to a team people wanted to watch.
There is no doubt his backroom team helped him and it’s sad those guys didn’t stay together but Stubbs was the main man.
God bless the Scottish Cup winning Legend Stubbs.

Not doubting that Stubbs is a Hibs legend.

He is however a failure outwith the Hibernian bubble.

A bit like Terry at ICT.

Written in the stars.

JimBHibees
07-09-2018, 07:35 PM

A bit like Terry at ICT.

Written in the stars.

Shocking comparison. Stubbs as opposed to Terry. Cool.

SingaporeHibs
07-09-2018, 07:36 PM

A bit like Terry at ICT.

Written in the stars.
I would say Stubbs knows a player which was to our benefit but I would agree if this is your point that he is not good at picking his managerial options. Rotherham were a basket case when he took over (x managers in a very short period as the chairman seemed to have a Romanov type influence) and St M are clearly no different to be sacking him after 4 league games. If they gave him time to get a fit team on the park for a start who knows. It’s circumstances and bad decisions on his part. Doesn’t make him a bad manager. 4 games ffs, particularly when Dundee look honking. There was no need for them to panic now. If it really was player led then they should be ashamed of themselves. I hope they get relegated but again even you or I could save them given some of the competitors at the lower end of this league

blackpoolhibs
08-09-2018, 10:29 AM
I keep reading here that Stubbs took over Hibs with no players, how many players did we have when he took charge? :confused:

greenlad
08-09-2018, 10:35 AM
I keep reading here that Stubbs took over Hibs with no players, how many players did we have when he took charge? :confused:

Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

heretoday
08-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

Paul Heffernan............
Nurse! Quick! The sedatives!

PatHead
08-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

No goalkeepers

MWHIBBIES
08-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Paul Heffernan............
Nurse! Quick! The sedatives!

Far far from the worst on that list. Being injured doesn't make someone bad.

Northernhibee
09-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

Of which only two remain at Hibs.

Winston Ingram
09-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Of which only two remain at Hibs.

After 4 years s i’d Say that was pretty standard

Northernhibee
09-09-2018, 09:25 AM
After 4 years s i’d Say that was pretty standard

When Stubbs left only four remained.

That’s a howling list.

Winston Ingram
09-09-2018, 09:30 AM

That’s a howling list.

That’s not unusual. Contracts in Scotland aren’t particularly long. 5 were left. Edit - 6 were

jacomo
09-09-2018, 08:24 PM

That’s a howling list.

If that doesn’t illustrate the rebuilding job in Stubbs first summer, nothing will.

We were also, of course, desperately short on confidence after being relegated. Stubbs was clever in the way he addressed that.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
10-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

That is truly eye bleeding stuff. How bad were OTJ and Nelson... no wonder we got relegated.

JimBHibees
10-09-2018, 10:11 AM
That is truly eye bleeding stuff. How bad were OTJ and Nelson... no wonder we got relegated.

Tudor Jones did nothing for Hibs then compounded it totally with bottling out of the tackle which led to Hamilton equalising in the play off tie. Absolute torture.

G B Young
10-09-2018, 10:16 AM

That’s a howling list.

A few duds but mostly decent players on that list I'd say. Certainly should have been good enough to keep us up. I liked Scott Robertson, plus Liam Craig was a good player on his day. Jordon Forster too. Butcher ultimately brought out the worst in pretty much all of them though.

J-C
10-09-2018, 10:40 AM
A few duds but mostly decent players on that list I'd say. Certainly should have been good enough to keep us up. I liked Scott Robertson, plus Liam Craig was a good player on his day. Jordon Forster too. Butcher ultimately brought out the worst in pretty much all of them though.

Agree, we were a mid table team going nowhere fast and Butcher turned them into relegation fodder.

WeeRussell
10-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Agree, we were a mid table team going nowhere fast and Butcher turned them into relegation fodder.

Spot on.

G B Young
10-09-2018, 01:36 PM

There was a theory which gained some momentum at the time that there were too many teams below us taking points off each other for us to end up in relegation bother. I remember thinking that it was a nonsense theory if we simply kept losing...and so it proved.

Sorry, I know it's only reopening old wounds but take a look at the table after our new year derby win....how the hell we managed to get relegated from that position never ceases to astound me:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25516816

J-C
10-09-2018, 02:45 PM
There was a theory which gained some momentum at the time that there were too many teams below us taking points off each other for us to end up in relegation bother. I remember thinking that it was a nonsense theory if we simply kept losing...and so it proved.

Sorry, I know it's only reopening old wounds but take a look at the table after our new year derby win....how the hell we managed to get relegated from that position never ceases to astound me:

Which proves my point we were mid table bog average and in no danger until Butcher took over, I remember with about 9 games left we needed 1 win to save ourselves and we managed just the 1 draw. The scarier thing about that season is that after that Derby win we drew 5, won 1 and lost an amazing 12 games.

Onion
10-09-2018, 02:49 PM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

Most of that lot are not footballers.

SirDavidsNapper
10-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Paul Hanlon
Lewis Stevenson
Alex Harris
Calum Booth
Jordon Forster
Michael Nelson
Sam Stanton
Liam Craig
Scott Robertson
Owain Tudor-Jones
Paul Heffernan
Jason Cummings
Danny Handling

I look at some of those players and wonder how we were relegated. That dressing room must have been an abysmal place to be.

tynehibs
10-09-2018, 03:47 PM

I forgot it was that bad 👎 absolutely appaling

overdrive
10-09-2018, 05:09 PM

We were the same distance from 2nd top as were from 2nd bottom! Amazing decline.

Diclonius
10-09-2018, 05:22 PM

Robertson and Craig were two very good players and with different players around them would have done very well (and to an extent did in 14-15). Liam Craig in particular got completely undeserved pelters from the fans - he was by no means the worst player in the team and at least gave a ****.

Smartie
10-09-2018, 05:33 PM

I look at that squad of players (and a nice wedge of hindsight) and wonder how they ever found themselves that far up the league in the first place rather than wonder how we got relegated from there.

Viva_Palmeiras
11-09-2018, 04:49 AM

Wasn't it about 6 first team and no recognised goalkeeper ?

Saint Hibee
11-09-2018, 05:13 AM
Robertson and Craig were two very good players and with different players around them would have done very well (and to an extent did in 14-15). Liam Craig in particular got completely undeserved pelters from the fans - he was by no means the worst player in the team and at least gave a ****.

Amen!

Diclonius
11-09-2018, 06:02 AM
I forgot it was that bad �� absolutely appaling

It was the St Mirren game that did it. Butcher decided that we were in an unassailable position and came out with "the players are ***** and they're all going at the end of the season". Players went "okay, **** you then" and stopped playing for him.

****ing idiot.

Brunswickbill
11-09-2018, 07:20 AM
I’m told that it’s now common practice to have a clause in managers’contracts that it can bd dissolved within a set short period at the clubs discretion with no compensation payable. Maybe explains the short time given to Stubbs.

J-C
11-09-2018, 07:34 AM
I’m told that it’s now common practice to have a clause in managers’contracts that it can bd dissolved within a set short period at the clubs discretion with no compensation payable. Maybe explains the short time given to Stubbs.

Bit like a trial period in any new job.

Stevie Reid
11-09-2018, 09:37 AM
I look at that squad of players (and a nice wedge of hindsight) and wonder how they ever found themselves that far up the league in the first place rather than wonder how we got relegated from there.

I'm not so sure, I'm pretty confident that we were better than the teams below us, and it was purely the horrendous mismanagement of Butcher that condemned us. We were a bottom of the top 6/top of the bottom 6 club that was dire to watch, not relegation fodder.

It's been a very funny few years for Scottish football, I was looking back after the Livi game to double check that Aberdeen got a hiding at Hamilton at the start of the season, just after Accies had beaten us in the playoffs. I remembered that correctly, what I didn't remember was the position it left Hamilton in - four points clear at the top of the table, after ten games; with Dundee Utd in 2nd!

Crazy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29563365

Crunchie
12-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Alan Stubbs. The man who came in with next to nothing of a playing squad, Hanlon and Lewy. Built the foundations, brought in some marvellous players who would go on to become Hibernian legends and some of my favourites ever watching Hibs. Seen us through one of the most important periods in our history, from polar bear Logan, Sir David Gray, class defender Mcgregor. He made John McGinn “super” - midfield Maestro in Mcgeough. Stokesys on fire and Hammer of the Hearts Cummings.

Destroying rangers 4.0 at Easter Road. And pumping them a fair few times along the way.
Malonga solo goal vs Aberdeen
Last minute Hanlon at Tynecastle
Conrad Logan heroics at hampden
Cummings 1.0 in cup replay - the best ever rendition of SOL IMO
And of course that day in May.

I don’t care about the low moments, and not getting us promoted.. we were always going to get back to where we belong eventually. I will only ever remember the great days he provided us, he made me fall back in love with Hibs again after the Fenlon/Butcher era. He made me believe we could compete and beat anyone, going to Easter Road didn’t seem like a chore again. Of course he had a lot of help along the way, Doolan & Dempster to name two.

I will never understand anyone who can say a bad word about this man. The Stubbs era is one I look back on fondly and consider a success. Good luck whatever you do next Stubbsy.. thank you for giving me some wonderful moments following my team. Your name will always be associated in the best possible way at Hibs.

Great post mate :top marks

Certain people forget the injury list we had, the Internationals, and the 2 cup runs getting us to finals, they all had a major impact on us not getting promoted that year. Some people just want to paint everything black and white and call him a failure when there were mitigating circumstances involved.

As you say I can't understand anyone having a dig at him either, let alone Hibs fans.

houstonhibbee
12-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Certain people forget the injury list we had, the Internationals, and the 2 cup runs getting us to finals, they all had a major impact on us not getting promoted that year. Some people just want to paint everything black and white and call him a failure when there were mitigating circumstances involved.

As you say I can't understand anyone having a dig at him either, let alone Hibs fans.

We were desperately unlucky to lose to both Falkirk in the playoffs and Ross Co in the LCF
How many times have we been able to legitimately say we're going for the treble.........................

sorrow sorrow
12-09-2018, 05:19 PM
100% a Hibs Legend

Jack Hackett
12-09-2018, 05:24 PM

Missed the quoted post, but you can add another :top marksto yours.

We were desperately unlucky to lose to both Falkirk in the playoffs and Ross Co in the LCF
How many times have we been able to legitimately say we're going for the treble.........................

... and minutes away from achieving it.

Guy had a huge hand in getting us where we are now. Legend!:gwa:

Smartie
12-09-2018, 05:42 PM
I'm not so sure, I'm pretty confident that we were better than the teams below us, and it was purely the horrendous mismanagement of Butcher that condemned us. We were a bottom of the top 6/top of the bottom 6 club that was dire to watch, not relegation fodder.

It's been a very funny few years for Scottish football, I was looking back after the Livi game to double check that Aberdeen got a hiding at Hamilton at the start of the season, just after Accies had beaten us in the playoffs. I remembered that correctly, what I didn't remember was the position it left Hamilton in - four points clear at the top of the table, after ten games; with Dundee Utd in 2nd!

Crazy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29563365

Your opinion would certainly be what the majority of hibbies would think, I accept I'm out on a bit of a limb here.

But take Fenlon's midfielders (especially the creative ones) and forwards. You've got an injured Alex Harris and an injured and unfit Paul Cairney, supplying Rowan Vine and James Collins. You could take your pick out of about 80 mediocre defensive midfielders, chuck in an injured Paul Heffernan, an injured Duncan Watmore, bring in Danny Haynes on loan and have Ross Caldwell and Danny Handling as back up.

That is your scoring threat right there. There is not a manager in world football that could get that shower of crap scoring goals.

I'd go as far as to say that if you took that pish and played it in front of our current defence and goalkeeper, we'd be relegated again.

And it wouldn't be the defence's fault.

matty_f
12-09-2018, 06:18 PM

The lack of concession to mitigating circumstances is definitely the bit that baffles me the most about it.