PDA

View Full Version : Greek newspapers say........

HappyAsHellas
23-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Read this in Ekathemirini newspaper today concerning Greek teams in Europe:

Asteras Tripolis is facing the might of Hibernian in Scotland this Thursday and at home next week, but if it goes through it will have a slightly easier task against the winner of the tie between Norway’s Molde and Albania’s Laci, starting away from home.

Wilson
23-07-2018, 06:25 PM

Asteras Tripolis is facing the might of Hibernian in Scotland this Thursday and at home next week, but if it goes through it will have a slightly easier task against the winner of the tie between Norway’s Molde and Albania’s Laci, starting away from home.

What a rag that paper must be.

Sammy7nil
23-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Why ?

Lancs Harp
23-07-2018, 06:32 PM
The apprehension and excitement is understandable its not every day the 2016 Scottish Cup Champions come to town.:wink:

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 06:35 PM

“starting away from home” 🤔

I thought the winners of our tie will be at home 1st leg.

BoomtownHibees
23-07-2018, 06:41 PM
“starting away from home” 🤔

There may be other games in Greece at the same time so they have to play the away leg first

HappyAsHellas
23-07-2018, 06:42 PM

It is actually - as with most of the Greek papers it is right wing, though how you guessed this from the quote is quite impressive. The only sort of left wing paper is Το Βημα (The step) and all they had was this:

Χιμπέρνιαν (Σκωτία) – Αστέρας Τρίπολης (Ελλάδα) - Hibernian (Scotland) etc.

Maybe Greek right wing papers are better for football reporting?

Sammy7nil
23-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Hibs are 6\5 Favs for 90 mins on Thursday :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
23-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Hibs are 6\5 Favs for 90 mins on Thursday :rolleyes:

Really? thought we'd be odds on

Sammy7nil
23-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Really? thought we'd be odds on

I wish you would open a bookies :greengrin

500miles
24-07-2018, 09:12 AM
These guys aren't an AEK Athens level team, certainly not when we played AEK. They're a decent side, but a week behind us in preseason, with a really poor away record in Europe. They'll be no pushovers, but, fit and prepared, we should be good enough.

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Good points - if we perform we have a decent chance - mind you - were not at the same level we were back then either ...
#sauzee.

we are hibs
24-07-2018, 09:16 AM
I don't buy the theory there would be an outcry of panic if we lost this tie but I also don't think it would be as great as an achievement as some people are claiming if we do come through it. The fact is we have no idea how good they will be. The fact they've signed lots of new players suggests that. The only thing i would be confident in saying is that I don't think their will be lots of goals as greek sides are usually hard to break down.

ian cruise
24-07-2018, 09:48 AM
I don't buy the theory there would be an outcry of panic if we lost this tie but I also don't think it would be as great as an achievement as some people are claiming if we do come through it. The fact is we have no idea how good they will be. The fact they've signed lots of new players suggests that. The only thing i would be confident in saying is that I don't think their will be lots of goals as greek sides are usually hard to break down.

Exactly

Hearts sign a whole team full of new players = don't know what their doing, panic merchants

Foreign team sign whole team of new players = no way we can beat them, we're definitely the weaker team because we've only signed three players and lost 4 of last season's first team.

DickieDastardly
24-07-2018, 09:53 AM
A clean sheet is so important, sadly though based on recent form I fear unlikely.

Think we will win the home leg though.

MyJo
24-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Which is where a player like Mallan becomes worth his weight in gold.

You can be as ultra defensive as you like but give away a free-kick within 25 yards of goal and your in danger

Northernhibee
24-07-2018, 10:18 AM
They fear the god of winning both cups, Lewis Stevensonos
:hyper

ian cruise
24-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Which is where a player like Mallan becomes worth his weight in gold.

You can be as ultra defensive as you like but give away a free-kick within 25 yards of goal and your in danger

Plus they can't afford to camp in their own 18 yard box as he's shown he'll take a dig from distance and there's a good chance its going goal wards. They need to commit players in the middle of the field should open space for Kamberi and Boyle.

horseflesh
24-07-2018, 10:49 AM
Good points - if we perform we have a decent chance - mind you - were not at the same level we were back then either ...
#sauzee.

Did Sauzee not get injured early on the match? Seem to remember him going range at an advertising hoarding as he was coming off.

horseflesh
24-07-2018, 10:56 AM
#sauzee.

Did Sauzee not get injured early on the match? Seem to remember him going range at an advertising hoarding as he was coming off.

WeeRussell
24-07-2018, 10:59 AM
“starting away from home” ��

Maybe lost in translation in that they're starting away from home in this tie?

Edit - re-read OP and it already states they're in Scotland this week and at home next week at the beginning of the line. So maybe not :)

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 11:27 AM

He did indeed - in fact I think that was the last game he ever played for us ..McLeosh left soon after and he took up his short
Managerial stint ...

Prof. Shaggy
24-07-2018, 11:35 AM

I remember him going off quite late on - I think it was already 2-2 on aggregate. I've always believed his absence allowed them the space to get back in the game.

Could be wrong though...

allezsauzee
24-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Happy enough to lay Hibs at odds on...I just won't be taking bets on Hibs drawing or losing :wink:

nonshinyfinish
24-07-2018, 03:38 PM
I remember him going off quite late on - I think it was already 2-2 on aggregate. I've always believed his absence allowed them the space to get back in the game.

Could be wrong though...

Yep, pretty sure he went off with about 10 minutes left.

CockneyRebel
24-07-2018, 03:43 PM

My memory ain't so good these days but I'm sure he went off in the first half.

overdrive
24-07-2018, 03:47 PM
He did indeed - in fact I think that was the last game he ever played for us ..McLeosh left soon after and he took up his short
Managerial stint ...

He played three more times for us after that game. McLeish left in the December.

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 05:53 PM
He played three more times for us after that game. McLeish left in the December.

[emoji106] cheers

badabing67
24-07-2018, 10:23 PM

Would you bet against us surely can't done

Hibs Class
24-07-2018, 10:39 PM

I think it was the dug-out that he gave a good kick. I was pitch-side a month or two later and it still had Sauzee's dent in it.

24-07-2018, 11:14 PM

Today's news is tomorrow's gyros wrapper.

AZhibee
24-07-2018, 11:32 PM
It is actually - as with most of the Greek papers it is right wing, though how you guessed this from the quote is quite impressive. The only sort of left wing paper is Το Βημα (The step) and all they had was this:

Χιμπέρνιαν (Σκωτία) – Αστέρας Τρίπολης (Ελλάδα) - Hibernian (Scotland) etc.

Maybe Greek right wing papers are better for football reporting?

It's all Greek to me

Iggy Pope
25-07-2018, 04:45 PM

He went radge at the dug out shell. Somewhere, I've a photo of his predator stud marks embedded in the Perspex sheet. In fact long ago, it was my avatar.

Allant1981
25-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Today's news is tomorrow's gyros wrapper.

gyros was possibly the best thing i had the last time i was in corfu!!

SonOfDavidFrancey
27-07-2018, 09:25 AM
Very interested to know what Greek press is saying today?