PDA

View Full Version : Reserve League

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Says that fixtures will be out later this week, but presume will be subject to european games taking place

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-reserve-league-201819/

Scorrie
23-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Reserve League is a good move I think. Will be a good test for youngsters to play against some seasoned players. Probably a better indication if they’re ready for first team fitbaw

bingo70
23-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Reserve League is a good move I think. Will be a good test for youngsters to play against some seasoned players. Probably a better indication if they’re ready for first team fitbaw

Don’t get it.

Clubs can’t afford to have a reserve team with senior players, there’ll be a couple that are coming back from injury or need game time but they could play last season anyway.

How many times did we want to play a senior player but couldn’t as we already had our maximum number of overage players? I’d guess at none.

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Are the home games going to be getting played at Easter Road or East Mains?

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Are the home games going to be getting played at Easter Road or East Mains?

Oriam

J-C
23-07-2018, 10:57 PM
Don’t get it.

Clubs can’t afford to have a reserve team with senior players, there’ll be a couple that are coming back from injury or need game time but they could play last season anyway.

How many times did we want to play a senior player but couldn’t as we already had our maximum number of overage players? I’d guess at none.

The Development team were predominantly all Dev/youth players with an occasional senior in the team, the reserve league will have no limitations re senior players, this might help the younger ones as they'll probably play against more senior players this year.

Thecat23
23-07-2018, 11:13 PM
Don’t get it.

Pretty straight forward. Development team was all the young lads near enough. This is for both. Was speaking to a player other day about it he thinks it’s the best move for the game in Scotland as youngsters won’t have that big a jump when thrown into the first team.

I also think it’s a great idea to get it back. It will help older guys get match fitness after injury or just game time when they haven’t been playing.

hibbysam
23-07-2018, 11:52 PM
Pretty straight forward. Development team was all the young lads near enough. This is for both. Was speaking to a player other day about it he thinks it’s the best move for the game in Scotland as youngsters won’t have that big a jump when thrown into the first team.

I also think it’s a great idea to get it back. It will help older guys get match fitness after injury or just game time when they haven’t been playing.

I could be wrong but that’s what happened anyway is it not? Definitely with our side, it was predominantly youth, yes, but with first teamers coming back getting up to fitness.

Our squad isn’t suddenly going to get much bigger, and I’d imagine that’s the case for all teams out with rangers and Celtic, so not sure it’ll really make much difference.

The Harp
24-07-2018, 12:11 AM
Makes you wonder why they scrapped the reserve league in the first place.

bingo70
24-07-2018, 07:00 AM

That’s what happened anyway?

Thecat23
24-07-2018, 08:23 AM
That’s what happened anyway?

No the reserve league will be a lot more of a competitive league to play in for the younger lads. Have a read into it you’ll see it’s not the same. If it was then I don’t think they’d need to change it.

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 08:38 AM
No the reserve league will be a lot more of a competitive league to play in for the younger lads. Have a read into it you’ll see it’s not the same. If it was then I don’t think they’d need to change it.

Sort of depends on what squads end up being used for this...if it’s the u20s plus a few senior pros - it will be simply a rebadged version of recent seasons. Will be Interesting to see how it pans out.

J-C
24-07-2018, 08:55 AM
A reserve league will mean we don't have to try and fast track young players into the 1st team when they're not ready, it will also put a stop to the development loans where players are training with us through the week and linking up with their loan clubs for 1 nights training and a game on saturday. Plus it'll stop young players having to play 2 games per week, once for the development team and once for their loan club. There will be a youth league which will allow the younger players who aren't quite ready to play in the reserve league/old Dev league, some of the young 16 yr olds are up against 18-20 yr olds.

It may mean we have a bench full of mostly senior players giving us extra strength in depth in games.

bigwheel
24-07-2018, 09:00 AM
A reserve league will mean we don't have to try and fast track young players into the 1st team when they're not ready, it will also put a stop to the development loans where players are training with us through the week and linking up with their loan clubs for 1 nights training and a game on saturday. Plus it'll stop young players having to play 2 games per week, once for the development team and once for their loan club. There will be a youth league which will allow the younger players who aren't quite ready to play in the reserve league/old Dev league, some of the young 16 yr olds are up against 18-20 yr olds.

Not sure it will ...be good if it turns out that way ...

I think There will still be a difference in playing first team games in the lower leagues, where boys depend on win bonuses for their living.than playing in the reserve games .. more competitive and developmental in the first team games

Also, likely that most clubs won’t be able to afford squads which are any different from last season - so I suspect it might end up being similar types of matches that was previously badged U20s.. hope I’m wrong though

Brightside
24-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Hearts will have all the over 25s in this league. The better Players (u17s) will play for the first team.

Thecat23
24-07-2018, 09:04 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932616

JackHibs
24-07-2018, 09:10 AM
The way I see it is yes the re branding and structure may make it a more competitive league, but how many teams in the league have big enough squads that more than a couple of senior players will be available to play in the reserve league. Which is how it was last season, can only have a couple of players coming back from injury at one time which was facilitated in the old league.

Will be interesting to see how it is over the season

Humo
24-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Why was the original reserve league scrapped back in 2009?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ian cruise
24-07-2018, 09:15 AM

I think Scottish football had a problem introducing youngsters in to their first teams and the reserve leagues and squads were full of cheaper foreign imports, we now don't have that issue with clubs having to rely on youth so things like reserve league are possibly a step forward.

Jones28
24-07-2018, 09:17 AM

Short-sighted idiocy that has caused a drop in the numbers of young talent coming through ready for first team games.

So now the only way to "blood" players like Shaw, Martin and Murray etc is to either loan them to clubs at a lower level or throw them in at the deep end.

But in answer to your question: I don't know 😂

Bill Milne
24-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Well, if SJM does go to Sellik, this is where he will likely play most of his games!!

Billy Whizz
24-07-2018, 03:29 PM
From a Hibs perspective at this time, a move from Development league to Teaerve league works in well. We have a group of youngish players, who may have been too old to play in next years Development league. So they get another year to see if they can make the step up. Think boys have been getting discarded too young. Hope this helps them

Hibs only occasionally played over age players in the league last season, can’t see this changing much this season either. The bulk of last seasons Development team will be our reserve team this season

Not sure what other clubs will do though

Billy Whizz
24-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Fixtures all up now. Start with a home game against Partick on 20th August, 2pm at Oriam

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/reserve-league-fixtures-published/

where'stheslope
24-07-2018, 05:50 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932616
Could this be the reason for the change?
The Glasgow teams not getting a look in!!!!

hibbyfraelibby
24-07-2018, 07:58 PM
Some of our more senior pros in Scotland get a free ride. Sit on the bench as unused sub on Saturday then off to golf course on Monday now it will be off to play footie on Mobday and sharpen up their match fitness whilst th youngsters run them ragged.

24-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Fixtures all up now. Start with a home game against Partick on 20th August, 2pm at Oriam

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/reserve-league-fixtures-published/

Would have gone to several of them if they were evening kick offs instead of Mondays at 2pm.

heretoday
24-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Oriam? That's that monstrosity the Hearts train at, isn't it?

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!