PDA

View Full Version : Pat Fenloan co commentator Liverpool v Dortmund

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:08 PM
Yip! Could not make it up! Live now Premier Sports free to Virgin XL subscribers 551

:aok:

3pm
22-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Fenloan?!

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Fenloan?!
Aye used to sign players on loan Claros being one

Billy Whizz
22-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Fenloan?!

He did sign a lot of loan players 3pm

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Dunno how he got this gig meant to be for football experts like Super Ally. To be fair I thought Ally did ok!

Hibernian32
22-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Griffiths tae

Billy Whizz
22-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Dunno how he got this gig meant to be for football experts like Super Ally. To be fair I thought Ally did ok!

Think it’s filmed by an Irish TV station

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Griffiths tae
One o the better ones shudda signed him cost him his job IMO.

:wink:

Shudda pushed Petrie for the dough!

we are hibs
22-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Think it’s filmed by an Irish TV station

They're basically the same company as setanta who were Irish.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Oh! And all of the mercaneries he played in the final we don’t talk about! Apologies for the delayed response I have wiped it from my memory bank!

Captain Trips
22-07-2018, 09:00 PM
One o the better ones shudda signed him cost him his job IMO.

Shudda pushed Petrie for the dough!

Was it not Calderwood who brought him in?

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Lost in the fog of time tbh Calderwoid / Fenlon Sparky was on fire HIBS through and through scoring goals for fun one of us -remember the SF versus Falkirk young guns when we were on t ropes at HT Sparky pulled it back even scored a good goal wrongly chalked off for offside regardless of who brought him in Fenlon should never have let him go when 150k if true would have secured his signature!!

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 09:19 PM
To be fair Pat Fenlon has carved himself out a good career in the Irish League won the League a couple of times hence his gig on an Irish TV Channel fair play to him. I’m not bitter! :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
22-07-2018, 09:34 PM
I have a lot of time for Fenlon, a decent man. Pulisic wins and scores a pen in front of his home fans, 1-1.

hibbyfraelibby
22-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Wee Pat did what he could with cards he was dealt. He did not get us relegated. He resigned bevause he couldnt beat Hearts and as a consequence we got Butcher and if we hadnt got Butcher we would not have gone down and we wouldnt have signed Stubbsie and therefore would not have won the cup so lets not be hard on the guy he was the catalyst for 21st May 2016. Legend.🤗

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Wee Pat did what he could with cards he was dealt. He did not get us relegated. He resigned bevause he couldnt beat Hearts and as a consequence we got Butcher and if we hadnt got Butcher we would not have gone down and we wouldnt have signed Stubbsie and therefore would not have won the cup so lets not be hard on the guy he was the catalyst for 21st May 2016. Legend.🤗
We got there in the end but according to Gary OConnor we were never winning the Scottish Cup in 2012 as the pre match preparations were shambolic to say the least as the team given to the players on the Friday was not the team that took the field on the day so PF is not without blame!

Source Si Ferry interview you tube

Northernhibee
22-07-2018, 10:17 PM
We got there in the end but according to Gary OConnor we were never winning the Scottish Cup in 2012 as the pre match preparations were shambolic to say the least as the team given to the players on the Friday was not the team that took the field on the day so PF is not without blame!

I wouldn’t take him as a credible source.

WeeRussell
22-07-2018, 10:19 PM

We were never winning it with an attitude like that*

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Probably right :thumbsup:

TelaStella
22-07-2018, 10:27 PM

Aye it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hfc rd
22-07-2018, 11:21 PM

For me, the players are the ones to blame on that day. They were cowards and you could tell at the end of the final when they got interviewed that they really couldn’t give a s*** what they just produced on that pitch. I’m sure I read on here that they were all arguing the night before the final as they were unhappy with the bonuses if they won the cup.

Centre Hawf
23-07-2018, 12:08 AM
I hold no ill feelings towards Pat Fenlon. Wasn’t a great manager in a bit of a dire time for the club. But he was a nice guy who did genuinely care about Hibs. So that’ll do for me.

Austinho
23-07-2018, 12:57 AM
I hold no ill feelings towards Pat Fenlon. Wasn’t a great manager in a bit of a dire time for the club. But he was a nice guy who did genuinely care about Hibs. So that’ll do for me.Resided over two of the worst results in our club’s history, but they were both one of games. His reputation will always be tarnished for the Hearts and Malmo games, but the overall bigger picture is he got us to back to back Scottish Cup finals and qualified for Europe twice. Certainly not the worst.

GoalsMcGinley
23-07-2018, 09:00 AM

If Garry O told me water was wet I’d ask for a 2nd opinion.

Centre Hawf
23-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Resided over two of the worst results in our club’s history, but they were both one of games. His reputation will always be tarnished for the Hearts and Malmo games, but the overall bigger picture is he got us to back to back Scottish Cup finals and qualified for Europe twice. Certainly not the worst.

Agreed. No hiding that there were dark days under Pat and I’m sure in 25/30 years we’ll probably remember him worse than he probably was.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 09:39 AM
If Garry O told me water was wet I’d ask for a 2nd opinion.

:faf:

Betty Boop
23-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Gary O'Connor? Seriously? Guy is an adle brained smackhead who couldn't out run two donought filled cops in body armour

A smackheid eh ? Quite an accusation to fling about . Never heard of Gary taking smack.

Smartie
23-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Resided over two of the worst results in our club’s history, but they were both one of games. His reputation will always be tarnished for the Hearts and Malmo games, but the overall bigger picture is he got us to back to back Scottish Cup finals and qualified for Europe twice. Certainly not the worst.

Fenlon's biggest successes ended up being his undoing.

He inherited an absolute shambles, probably as big a mess as any Hibs manager has inherited. At least Stubbs had a fairly blank canvas to work from, and McLeish had a bit of time to attempt to sort out Duffy's mess.

Getting to "that cup final" with the players he inherited from Calderwood and his January sticking plasters was a minor miracle and he deserves great credit for that. His tactics on the big day were all wrong and the result was atrocious, but there were many factors leading to the result in that game and I wouldn't pin too much on Fenlon.

He did very well the following season, and we shouldn't dismiss the European qualification lightly, but the Malmo game was a catastrophe.

We'll never know how much of that pre-season's transfer dealings were down to Fenlon and how much they were down to Petrie, but in my opinion that summer was when we really laid the foundations for our relegation. Ay but Butcher, aye but this, aye but that - Fenlon's team early in that season were horrible, then they got worse under Butcher. Frankly, we deserved to end up where we ended up.

I don't think Fenlon was to blame. He came in, had several relative successes but faced an impossible job and he inevitably failed.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 11:43 AM
For the record:
Eoin Doyle bought from Sligo
Pa Kujabi free from FSV Frankfurt
McPake loan
McGivern loan
Done loan
Soares loan
Claros loan
ODonavan loan
Docherty loan
Griffiths loan second time 2012
Deegan undisclosed fee
Robertson free
Thomson free
Clancy free
McPake free 2012
Cairney free
Williams free
Maybury free
Kugi free
Taiwo free
Murdoch free

So there we have it back up to my Pat Fenloan jibe. It does not look funny from where I am sitting. :wink:

The Modfather
23-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Fenlon's biggest successes ended up being his undoing.

He inherited an absolute shambles, probably as big a mess as any Hibs manager has inherited. At least Stubbs had a fairly blank canvas to work from, and McLeish had a bit of time to attempt to sort out Duffy's mess.

Getting to "that cup final" with the players he inherited from Calderwood and his January sticking plasters was a minor miracle and he deserves great credit for that. His tactics on the big day were all wrong and the result was atrocious, but there were many factors leading to the result in that game and I wouldn't pin too much on Fenlon.

He did very well the following season, and we shouldn't dismiss the European qualification lightly, but the Malmo game was a catastrophe.

We'll never know how much of that pre-season's transfer dealings were down to Fenlon and how much they were down to Petrie, but in my opinion that summer was when we really laid the foundations for our relegation. Ay but Butcher, aye but this, aye but that - Fenlon's team early in that season were horrible, then they got worse under Butcher. Frankly, we deserved to end up where we ended up.

I don't think Fenlon was to blame. He came in, had several relative successes but faced an impossible job and he inevitably failed.

Agree with a lot of what you say, but not sure I 100% agree with the bit in bold. Getting to another cup final was a great achievement, although we did have a favorable cup draw, but an achievement nonetheless. The league was a different story from what I remember. We finished bottom six and it was a real chore going to Hibs games.

That said, don't have any ill will to Fenlon. He tried his best, but ultimately wasn't up to the job and I have a lot of respect for him admitting that and walking away when he did. He was also hindered by the amateur mismanagement by Petrie.

SirDavidsNapper
23-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Compared to wage thieves like Calderwood and Butcher, Fenlon was fine. If i met him i'd shake his hand and i couldn't with the other two guys mentioned. It was nice to hear he was in the Hibs end in 21/5/16. Wish the guy no bad fortune whatsoever. I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He had 180 minutes and two chances to become a legend and didn't take it.

Smartie
23-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Agree with a lot of what you say, but not sure I 100% agree with the bit in bold. Getting to another cup final was a great achievement, although we did have a favorable cup draw, but an achievement nonetheless. The league was a different story from what I remember. We finished bottom six and it was a real chore going to Hibs games.

That said, don't have any ill will to Fenlon. He tried his best, but ultimately wasn't up to the job and I have a lot of respect for him admitting that and walking away when he did. He was also hindered by the amateur mismanagement by Petrie.

Actually I've just looked and you are right. I didn't realise we finished bottom 6, and thought we did better in the league that season than we actually did.

I'd still say that a very safe mid-table finish (with more points than United in the position above us) was fairly respectable, given what he inherited from Calderwood (I thought we were utter gash under Calderwood, my least favourite Hibs manager ever).

It's funny looking at an SPL top 6 of Celtic, Motherwell, Inverness CT, St Johnstone, Ross County, Dundee United though, considering where most of those teams find themselves now.

hibbyfraelibby
23-07-2018, 12:37 PM
A smackheid eh ? Quite an accusation to fling about . Never heard of Gary taking smack.

I stand corrected...other substance were allegedly available

Hibernian32
23-07-2018, 02:56 PM
I loved kujabi simply because we basically signed him after we saw the video of that free kick he scored for QPR reserves.

His one and only free kick for hibs went out for a throw...

Smartie
23-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Kujabi was a solid player for us.

He hit a famous stinker of a free-kick and had a nightmare in the cup final, when he was hung out to dry with their wide players doubling up on him.

A bit like Matt Doherty, who was generally an excellent player for us but made some silly comments in the heat of the moment after an appalling result that seemed to affect him worse than it affected several of our favourites.

WeeRussell
23-07-2018, 03:13 PM
For the record:
McPake loan
McGivern loan
Done loan
Soares loan
Claros loan
ODonavan loan
Docherty loan
Deegan undisclosed fee
Robertson free
Thomson free
Clancy free
McPake free 2012
Cairney free
Williams free
Maybury free
Kugi free
Taiwo free
Murdoch free

So there we have it back up to my Pat Fenloan jibe. It does not look funny from where I am sitting. :wink:

So he signed-up a lot more players than he loaned?

Genuinely the first time I’ve heard someone other than a Jambo use the term Pat Fenloan, not that it bothers me however!

WeeRussell
23-07-2018, 03:15 PM
Kujabi was a solid player for us.

He hit a famous stinker of a free-kick and had a nightmare in the cup final, when he was hung out to dry with their wide players doubling up on him.

A bit like Matt Doherty, who was generally an excellent player for us but made some silly comments in the heat of the moment after an appalling result that seemed to affect him worse than it affected several of our favourites.

I always think I’m the odd one out when it comes to Docherty. In that most people seemed to think he was brilliant up until his post-final comments.

I never rated him that highly but also haven’t the same hate for his comments.

Don’t get me wrong - he’s still a d1ck for it :)

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 03:49 PM
So he signed-up a lot more players than he loaned?

Genuinely the first time I’ve heard someone other than a Jambo use the term Pat Fenloan, not that it bothers me however!
Ha Ha Ha! First time I have been called a jambo! I have been supporting HIBS for over 50 years. The only player he signed in an old fashioned money transfer was Eoin Doyle amount unknown but it is probably more a reflection on the state of the club at that time than Pat Fenlon. As other posters have said he could only play with the hand he was dealt.

:troll:

Allant1981
23-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Ha Ha Ha! First time I have been called a jambo! I have been supporting HIBS for over 50 years. The only player he signed in an old fashioned money transfer was Eoin Doyle amount unknown but it is probably more a reflection on the state of the club at that time than Pat Fenlon. As other posters have said he could only play with the hand he was dealt.

think you should read it again, he didnt say you were a jambo

Tyler Durden
23-07-2018, 05:05 PM

The preparations seemed a shambles by many different accounts. I’m pretty certain both Stack and Ian Murray also commented on this. The fact that Fenlon lined up with a very similar game plan to 2 previous defeats against them that season showed he had learned nothing.

Also the following year, apparently Ross Caldwell was told he was starting the final against Celtic and the team prepared that way, only for Fenlon to change his mind on the day of the game again.

He was just badly out of his depth, both tactically and dealing with players at our level. Shocking leadership by Petrie and our board to preside over 3 such terrible consecutive appointments

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 05:05 PM
think you should read it again, he didnt say you were a jambo
Will let him off this time it is only Wee Russell

Betty Boop
23-07-2018, 05:09 PM

So the guy had a problem. Any need to be so nasty ?

CraigHibee
Compared to wage thieves like Calderwood and Butcher, Fenlon was fine. If i met him i'd shake his hand and i couldn't with the other two guys mentioned. It was nice to hear he was in the Hibs end in 21/5/16. Wish the guy no bad fortune whatsoever. I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He had 180 minutes and two chances to become a legend and didn't take it.

Met him in a boozer down leith walk after the final, got my photo taken with him, really nice guy

Tyler Durden
:

He was allowed to sign a lot of players, very few of which he knew what to do with. Scott Robertson in a number 10 role. Kevin Thomson in a wide left role in a Scottish Cup final.

Various interchangeable mediocre midfielders. He had plenty of time and backing to sign good players. Talked a lot about changing the culture but signed people like Tim Clancy, Rowan Vine and Tudor Jones - guys incapable of making a connection with fans and just here to take the cash and go out on the bevvy.

Fenlon was a terrible manager.

CraigHibee
23-07-2018, 05:11 PM

How wonderful it must be to live a life free of sin...

Thecat23
23-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Fenlon was *****, his football was brutal to watch and most of his signings were poor. Nothing more to it really, brilliant where we are now compared to then.

Captain Trips
23-07-2018, 05:18 PM
I think calling him Pat Fenloan is quite tame and rather funny.

The_Horde
23-07-2018, 05:27 PM
For the record:
McPake loan
McGivern loan
Done loan
Soares loan
Claros loan
ODonavan loan
Docherty loan
Deegan undisclosed fee
Robertson free
Thomson free
Clancy free
McPake free 2012
Cairney free
Williams free
Maybury free
Kugi free
Taiwo free
Murdoch free

Lennon

Maclaren - Loan
Kamberi - Loan
Marciano - Loan
Barker - Loan
Ambrose - Loan
Shinnie - Loan
Rherras- Loan
Bogdan - Loan
Allan - Loan
Commons - Loan
Bain - Loan

Neil Loannon?

Captain Trips
23-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Lennon

Maclaren - Loan
Kamberi - Loan
Marciano - Loan
Barker - Loan
Ambrose - Loan
Shinnie - Loan
Rherras- Loan
Bogdan - Loan
Allan - Loan
Commons - Loan
Bain - Loan

Neil Loannon?

Ok Pat Fenpishloan

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Fenlon was *****, his football was brutal to watch and most of his signings were poor. Nothing more to it really, brilliant where we are now compared to then.Still hounding him out got us relegated. He wasn't even close to as bad as Butcher or Calderwood. Would've survived comfortably and let him go at the end of his deal.

Still the last Hibs manager to win at Tynecastle as well.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 05:33 PM
I think calling him Pat Fenloan is quite tame and rather funny.
I thought so too but was accused of being a classless F*** for saying so hence the list to back up my claim as other posters have pointed out it was not just the loan signings but clueless inept management backed up by ex players. But hey! that’s what forums are for an exchange of views and a wee bit banter it is all about opinions. I have no doubt Pat Fenlon is a nice guy-apart from imo his treatment of Billy Brown-and would like to wish him all the best for the future.

Captain Trips
23-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Still hounding him out got us relegated. He wasn't even close to as bad as Butcher or Calderwood. Would've survived comfortably and let him go at the end of his deal.

How do you know we would have survived comfortably? Ok we would have went down quicker then. As likely as your scenario which is based on nothing like mine.

Captain Trips
23-07-2018, 05:35 PM
I thought so too but was accused of being a classless F*** for saying so hence the list to back up my claim as other posters have pointed out it was not just the loan signings but clueless inept management backed up by ex players. But hey! that’s what forums are for an exchange of views and a wee bit banter it is all about opinions. I have no doubt Pat Fenlon is a nice guy-apart from imo his treatment of Billy Brown-and would like to wish him all the best for the future.

or
I have no issue with loans to compliment the team his happened to be poor and smacked of desperation. I think Lennon was far more considered in his loan players hence why we have signed most of them.

There are about 20 players on that list he brought in Leigh had already been here and IMO is only one who would start now. No manager can get every signing right but jeez look at that list all of them nearly are easily forgotten. Out of every 10 signings you are doing well to get 7 that work IMO. That is simply an awful list of players.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Lennon

Maclaren - Loan
Kamberi - Loan
Marciano - Loan
Barker - Loan
Ambrose - Loan
Shinnie - Loan
Rherras- Loan
Bogdan - Loan
Allan - Loan
Commons - Loan
Bain - Loan

Neil Loannon?
Eh? Think I am starting to see a link here! :wink:

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2018, 05:43 PM
How do you know we would have survived comfortably? Ok we would have went down quicker then. As likely as your scenario which is based on nothing like mine.Probably that we were 5th when he left? and finished 7th with more points that 6th the season before.

Based on more than yours certainly. We weren't good to watch but we were hard to beat and had some good results so far that season.

cleanyman
23-07-2018, 05:45 PM
More like Pat FenLOL

Smartie
23-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Neil Loannon
Alloan Stubbs
Terry F*****g Butcher
Colloan Calderwood
Jloan Hughes
Mixu Paateloanon
John Colloans
Loanny Mowbray
Bobby Williamloan

Aye, we've had a few.

jacomo
23-07-2018, 07:20 PM
I have a lot of time for Fenlon, a decent man. Pulisic wins and scores a pen in front of his home fans, 1-1.

Absolutely.

He was there on 21/5/16, celebrating with the rest of us punters. Good man.

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Neil Loannon
Alloan Stubbs
Terry F*****g Butcher
Colloan Calderwood
Jloan Hughes
Mixu Paateloanon
John Colloans
Loanny Mowbray
Bobby Williamloan

Aye, we've had a few.

😂😂😂😂

bodhibs
23-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Neil Loannon
Alloan Stubbs
Terry F*****g Butcher
Colloan Calderwood
Jloan Hughes
Mixu Paateloanon
John Colloans
Loanny Mowbray
Bobby Williamloan

Aye, we've had a few.

Brilliant 😉

Thecat23
23-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Still hounding him out got us relegated. He wasn't even close to as bad as Butcher or Calderwood. Would've survived comfortably and let him go at the end of his deal.

He’s still ***** though.

SirDavidsNapper
23-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Neil Loannon
Alloan Stubbs
Terry F*****g Butcher
Colloan Calderwood
Jloan Hughes
Mixu Paateloanon
John Colloans
Loanny Mowbray
Bobby Williamloan

Aye, we've had a few.

🤣

The Modfather
23-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Petrie’s successive terrible managerial appointments, culminating in Butcher, was the reason we got relegated. Not because the fans wanted rid of Fenlon. It’s not much of an endorsement to say we should have kept Fenlon to the end of the season as he wasn’t as bad as Butcher.

Relegation had been coming for years, not because we’d had enough of Fenlon’s eye bleeding football.

jacomo
24-07-2018, 07:39 AM
How do you know we would have survived comfortably? Ok we would have went down quicker then. As likely as your scenario which is based on nothing like mine.

Obviously there is no way to say for sure, but if Pat had stayed for the duration of the season I am very, very confident we would not have got relegated.

SirDavidsNapper
24-07-2018, 07:44 AM
If Fenlon had taken over from a Stubbs or Lennon and not inherited a shambles or had Dempster been at the club at the time we may very well have been talking about a Scottish cup legend in Pat. All iffs and but's obviously. It was a difficult time at Hibs when Pat arrived and he had a monumental job on his hands. We wouldn't have gone down if he stayed but ultimately im glad we did go down. Our club has been reborn and is now unrecognizable from that era.

WeeRussell
24-07-2018, 07:51 AM

Haha settle down gadgie! I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever you are a long-term Hibby! I think in your excitement you forgot you also listed Deegan (undisclosed fee)

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2018, 09:00 AM
He’s still ***** though.Good post.

Petrie’s successive terrible managerial appointments, culminating in Butcher, was the reason we got relegated. Not because the fans wanted rid of Fenlon. It’s not much of an endorsement to say we should have kept Fenlon to the end of the season as he wasn’t as bad as Butcher.

Relegation had been coming for years, not because we’d had enough of Fenlon’s eye bleeding football.

The fans did not help though. Fenlon wasn't pretty but people wanted us to lose to get rid of him. Obviously it has worked out well but we could easily still be in that division and it wouldn't have happened at all had he just been allowed to finish his contract. We weren't half as bad as some folk pretend we were under Fenlon, he is just judged on 2 really bad results, one of which was not his fault. He actually achieved some decent things that even Lennon, a far better manager, hasn't yet managed with us.

Thecat23
24-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Good post.

The fans did not help though. Fenlon wasn't pretty but people wanted us to lose to get rid of him. Obviously it has worked out well but we could easily still be in that division and it wouldn't have happened at all had he just been allowed to finish his contract. We weren't half as bad as some folk pretend we were under Fenlon, he is just judged on 2 really bad results, one of which was not his fault. He actually achieved some decent things that even Lennon, a far better manager, hasn't yet managed with us.

Sorry but we were as bad as I remember. His football stopped my old man from going and he’d been going for many years. It was actually mind numbing stuff at times. Side pass after side pass after side pass. We couldn’t break teams as we were that slow. I mind Liam Craig was so deep he was playing on our own 18 yard line for the whole game.

I hate the fact you can’t point out the obvious without folk saying but he was a nice guy etc. Yeah he was and I’ve nothing against him at all as a man. As a manager he was poor. Calderwood was brutal along with Butcher it’s simple.

MWHIBBIES
24-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Sorry but we were as bad as I remember. His football stopped my old man from going and he’d been going for many years. It was actually mind numbing stuff at times. Side pass after side pass after side pass. We couldn’t break teams as we were that slow. I mind Liam Craig was so deep he was playing on our own 18 yard line for the whole game.

I hate the fact you can’t point out the obvious without folk saying but he was a nice guy etc. Yeah he was and I’ve nothing against him at all as a man. As a manager he was poor. Calderwood was brutal along with Butcher it’s simple.

I couldn't care less if he was a nice guy. I've not said anything about that. We weren't as bad as you remember because ultimately, the facts are we were in the top half when he was hounded out. I never said his football was pretty, it wasn't but it wasn't THAT bad that folk should've stopped going. The club needed support more than ever that season. We were average under him and it was tough to watch but it got far far worse after he left. No question it would've been better to just let him see out his contract and start planning for the next season. If we had managed to finish top 6 and had a decent Scottish cup run that season, something Fenlon was good at, and he had just left in peace we might even have had a better 4/5 years since. He wasn't great but we were slowly improving and we went from being relegation candidates under him to mid table crap instead. I think it would've went something like Aberdeen who had Brown stabilise things a bit before McInnis came in and took them forward.

Sacking managers mid season is always risky, we already had a pretty hopeless squad and putting them in the hands of someone like Butcher was a disaster. As I say, it worked out well now but it could've been a real disaster had we not got the Stubbs appointment right.

Elephant Stone
24-07-2018, 10:13 AM

You can point out what you want, other people don't agree - myself included. He did a decent job recovering from Calderwood and was a victim of his own success, if we had been knocked out the Scottish Cup (the 2012 Scottish Cup) in the Semis and didn't get into Europe the year after then he would be taking a lot less stick than he does now. He got a shocking team punching above its weight and we suffered two heavy defeats as a consequence. Also Malmo were competing in the Champions league the seasons after they beat us and were already half way through their season when we played. As has been said by others, Fenlon could have seen out the season and we could have brought someone (Stubbs) in then. He did sign too many poor players but overall he wasn't a terrible manager at all, I would say he did a steady, decent job.

BILLYHIBS
24-07-2018, 10:32 AM
Haha settle down gadgie! I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever you are a long-term Hibby! I think in your excitement you forgot you also listed Deegan (undisclosed fee)
Yip! I had that listed undisclosed fee from Coventry scored a cracker versus the sheep but was never the same after being assaulted up the toon on a night oot!