PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Coefficients

Dr What If?
22-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Boosted by our emphatic first round victory and dreaming of a night out in Baku, I thought I'd check out how this pesky coefficient system actually worked - after all, it has a major say in the number of teams we have, the number of games we play and to an extent, who we play. Note: this is my comprehension, corrections welcome!
So to start, records are made up of the total of the last 5 seasons - going into this season that gave us 1 point. However, if your record is less that 1/5th of your association's total it will get bumped up to that instead. Hibs coefficient score therefore is 3.725 (20% of Scotland's overall score).
During the qualifiers we will get 1 point for every game we win and 0.5 points for every draw, will worry about the group stages much, much later. So, 2 wins = 2 points.
Our national rating is based on all the club scores added together and divided by 4 - Scotland are rated 26th by this measure. By my estimate this should have put all our clubs in the first round draw...oh well. So far Scotland has scored 1.375 (HFC 2 wins, CFC 2 wins, RFC 1 win 1 Draw = 5.5/4).
The next big jump for our national coefficient will be to get into the top 15, this adds another team into the mix, i.e. 5 qualifiers, but even a modest improvement should see us putting our teams in at a more advanced stage.

Ok, have I got that right?

CapitalGreen
22-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks for providing that breakdown. For seeding purposes in European competition the coefficient assigned to a club is the higher of either the national coefficient or the club coeffiecient. So until a time when our club coefficient exceeds that of Scotland’s coefficient, we will be assigned the national coefficient.

Hibernian Verse
22-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Thanks for providing that breakdown. For seeding purposes in European competition the coefficient assigned to a club is the higher of either the national coefficient or the club coeffiecient. So until a time when our club coefficient exceeds that of Scotland’s coefficient, we will be assigned the national coefficient.So theoretically if we beat AT home and away we exceed the Scottish coefficient that we were given this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Thanks for providing that breakdown. For seeding purposes in European competition the coefficient assigned to a club is the higher of either the national coefficient or the club coeffiecient. So until a time when our club coefficient exceeds that of Scotland’s coefficient, we will be assigned the national coefficient.
If I’ve got it right, and that’s a big if, our club coefficient is now irrelevant during the qualifiers. The seeding for Monday’s draw is that of the Greeks, and if we beat them (another big if) the play off draw will use the coefficient of our third round opponents.

The club coefficient comes back in at the seedings for the group stages, I think.

Makes it difficult to say what draw is best tomorrow. Get a weak seed, and if we reach the play offs we’ll get a tough draw. Get a middling seed like Burnley (like, obviously we can’t get them) and we could be seeded for the play offs and get an easier draw.

But there’s a couple of matches of football to be played before the play offs even start to matter.

Dr What If?
22-07-2018, 01:12 PM
So theoretically if we beat AT home and away we exceed the Scottish coefficient that we were given this year.

Yup, and just as a wee yardstick, the lowest ranked seeded team in the 2nd round draw has 5 points (Slovan Bratislava).

Dr What If?
22-07-2018, 01:22 PM
If I’ve got it right, and that’s a big if, our club coefficient is now irrelevant during the qualifiers. The seeding for Monday’s draw is that of the Greeks, and if we beat them (another big if) the play off draw will use the coefficient of our third round opponents.

The club coefficient comes back in at the seedings for the group stages, I think.

Makes it difficult to say what draw is best tomorrow. Get a weak seed, and if we reach the play offs we’ll get a tough draw. Get a middling seed like Burnley (like, obviously we can’t get them) and we could be seeded for the play offs and get an easier draw.

But there’s a couple of matches of football to be played before the play offs even start to matter.

I don't think Asteras would be seeded in the 3rd round so doesn't matter.

Speedy
22-07-2018, 01:37 PM

No, they're not.

Think he means we're better drawing a team who would be seeded in the play off round rather than an easier 3rd round tie that would result in being unseeded in the playoff round.

Vault Boy
22-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Interesting stuff. I always want to see Scottish clubs do well in Europe for this reason. I can see us progressing against Tripoli.

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 01:43 PM
The seeding for the 3rd round has been done, Asteras were a point off being seeded. So we and they are in the draw as non-seeded teams. The play-off draw takes place after the Asteras games, but before the 3rd round matches, so would use the coefficient of whoever we get drawn against tomorrow - either for us or Asteras.

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 01:47 PM
No, they're not.

Think he means we're better drawing a team who would be seeded in the play off round rather than an easier 3rd round tie that would result in being unseeded in the playoff round.

Yep, that’s my thinking. Though really I just want us to keep winning, whoever we get.

Kaff
22-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Yes thanks to those above helping to make it clearer, we're obviously at the stage where we have to be winning games and qualifying year on year to build up our own coefficient and the national one too.
I do actually think we will have benefitted from playing Runavik rather going in at Round 2 cold against AT given the relative inexperience of the squad, hopefully we will have an improved performance level for these next two games.

Speedy
22-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Yep, that’s my thinking. Though really I just want us to keep winning, whoever we get.

Agreed.

Dr What If?
22-07-2018, 01:55 PM
The seeding for the 3rd round has been done, Asteras were a point off being seeded. So we and they are in the draw as non-seeded teams. The play-off draw takes place after the Asteras games, but before the 3rd round matches, so would use the coefficient of whoever we get drawn against tomorrow - either for us or Asteras.

I see what you mean now, thought you meant we would be seeded if we beat Asteras....I should learn to read things more than once before comment :greengrin

Ringothedog
22-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Coefficient is calculated as follows -
Round Points awarded
CEuropa League
Preliminary Round elimination - 0.5
First qualifying round elimination - 1.0
Second qualifying round elimination -1.5
Third qualifying round elimination – 2
Play-off elimination – 2.5
Group stage participation 3
Win in group stage or subsequent round 2
Draw in group stage or subsequent round 1

jgl07
23-07-2018, 06:29 AM
The system has changed this season (or last season). Previously it was the sum of the team’s coefficient plus the Country coefficient over the previous five years. Now it is the higher of the two. So for this season Hibs will be on the Scottish coefficient regardless on what happens.

Individual match wins at the early rounds do count for the Scottish coefficient even though they don’t count for the Club’s coefficient, so Hibs have already contributed to next season’s Scottish coefficient.