PDA

View Full Version : Question Touristy Things in Greece

Hibernian Verse
22-07-2018, 11:41 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations for touristy stuff in Greece? We're staying in Athens Thursday to Sunday so have Fri and Sat to explore. Delphi looks good if anyone can give any feedback on that?

We will obviously be visiting the Acropolis and Parthenon too.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for touristy stuff in Greece? We're staying in Athens Thursday to Sunday so have Fri and Sat to explore. Delphi looks good if anyone can give any feedback on that?

Cheers

Did those the last time we played there, and to be honest, they have let it go a bit, its quite run down these days.

WoreTheGreen
22-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Cheers

Gie the Acropolis a miss its not even finished yet

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Gie the Acropolis a miss its not even finished yetAnd the Parthenon is missing a few of its marbles.

I was there last year, and one of the highlights for me was the ancient Olympic stadium.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
22-07-2018, 03:20 PM
The Acropolis museum has recently been modernised and apparently not to be missed. On the road to Tripolis, Mycenae is sort of on the way (compared to Delphi!) and if you venture further south you can visit Nafplio which is regarded as one of the most beautiful towns in Greece with castles, museums etc.

Saint Hibee
22-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Was just there last week; the 200ml bottles of ouzo go down a treat in the heat!

H18 SFR
22-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Was just there last week; the 200ml bottles of ouzo go down a treat in the heat!

Best lager? How much a pint in Athens?

Frazerbob
22-07-2018, 05:17 PM

Mythos is the local lager. It’s very good when served in a frozen tanker. Couple of years since I was last there. Canny mind the damage.

Earlydelivery
22-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Surely find a boozer that’ll sell best 😂

JeMeSouviens
22-07-2018, 05:31 PM

Fix is much better than mythos (imo).

JeMeSouviens
22-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon is a great spot, especially at sunset.

Hermit Crab
22-07-2018, 05:59 PM

A quick google suggests that a pint is around €4 for the local brew. It also says buying a carryout from a mini market is considerably cheaper and a good idea. That'll do me for the bus to Tripolis.

basehibby
22-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I'm in Athens right now and my main advice is pack for coolness! It's been 30-35 all the time which is considered the norm. I brought some socks and trainers which were a waste of time - have worn sandals, shorts and t-shirts all the time in an effort to stay cool as possible. Athens is a great city but was hit by a terrible recession which its still recovering from. Little violent crime but keep your hand on your wallet as pickpocketing has become a problem. Great areas to stroll around are Monastiraki and Plaka. Theres loads of cool Tavernas and cafes. The Greeks are VERY proud of their city and their culture - respect it and they will love you for it. Parakalo=please. Efharisto=Thankyou. Learn these words and use them and do Hibs and Scotland proud!

basehibby
22-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Ps - useful phrase "Mia megali biera parakalo" 😎

JeMeSouviens
22-07-2018, 07:14 PM
I'm in Athens right now and my main advice is pack for coolness! It's been 30-35 all the time which is considered the norm. I brought some socks and trainers which were a waste of time - have worn sandals, shorts and t-shirts all the time in an effort to stay cool as possible. Athens is a great city but was hit by a terrible recession which its still recovering from. Little violent crime but keep your hand on your wallet as pickpocketing has become a problem. Great areas to stroll around are Monastiraki and Plaka. Theres loads of cool Tavernas and cafes. The Greeks are VERY proud of their city and their culture - respect it and they will love you for it. Parakalo=please. Efharisto=Thankyou. Learn these words and use them and do Hibs and Scotland proud!

Plus “yassas” means hello and bye, like ciao in Italian. A yassas and a friendly smile will get you a long way.

basehibby
22-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Plus “yassas” means hello and bye, like ciao in Italian. A yassas and a friendly smile will get you a long way.

Good call - and Yamas means cheers!

Reminds me of a song I made up when supporting Greece against England....
Yamas ya bas
We're for Hellas
Na na na na
Na na na
Na na

Kinda catchy I thought ....

hibbyfraelibby
23-07-2018, 01:29 PM
And the Parthenon is missing a few of its marbles.

I was there last year, and one of the highlights for me was the ancient Olympic stadium.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Parthenon? You'd be missing your marbles if we let you organise the trip...

bigwheel
23-07-2018, 01:49 PM
Mythos is the local lager. It’s very good when served in a frozen tanker. Couple of years since I was last there. Canny mind the damage.

yet now owned by Carlsberg , I believe...