PDA

View Full Version : ABERDEEN v BURNLEY

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Would you rather have a one off big pay day against an EPL side or a European adventure like what we are hopefully about to have in the Europa League?

How do my fellow posters feel that Aberdeen will fair against Burnley in the upcoming games bearing in mind that both sides are coming out of their close season ?

Apart from our European coefficient does anyone really care?

I personally feel as a neutral I am looking forward to both games and am particularly interested in how Derek McInnes and Aberdeen cope given the changes to their squad versus a financially superior Burnley side.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Burnley will hammer them.

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 10:41 PM
Burnley will hammer them.
Hope so :thumbsup:

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 10:43 PM
Would you rather have a one off big pay day against an EPL side or a European adventure like what we are hopefully about to have in the Europa League?

How do my fellow posters feel that Aberdeen will fair against Burnley in the upcoming games bearing in mind that both sides are coming out of their close season ?

Apart from our European coefficient does anyone really care?

I personally feel as a neutral I am looking forward to both games and am particularly interested in how Derek McInnes and Aberdeen cope given the changes to their squad versus a financially superior Burnley side.

How will it be a big pay day? They get the same money as everyone else playing in this round. Might get a slightly higher crowd at Pittodrie but that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
21-07-2018, 10:45 PM
I think the sheep will do all right against them. Not saying they will beat them but don’t think they’ll get hammered.

Burnley are a good side all their success has been built on graft, being solid etc. Got knocked out of the FA Cup by a non league team last year or the year before so don’t think it’s impossible.

In answer to your question. If the one off game was AC Milan I’d take that. But no against Burnley.

Hermit Crab
21-07-2018, 10:47 PM
Aberdeen will get torn a new one. The gulf between the SPL and EPL is so big. None of the Scottish clubs will make the group stages imo.

BILLYHIBS
How will it be a big pay day? They get the same money as everyone else playing in this round. Might get a slightly higher crowd at Pittodrie but that’s it.

40000 odd at Turf Moor plus sky/ bt package. Better than 1600 fishing village in the Faroes and Premier Sports that pack in after 60 mins :wink:

superfurryhibby
Hope Aberdeen beat them, probably well bearen though.

Why would any Scottish football fan want Burnley to win?

superfurryhibby
21-07-2018, 10:49 PM
40000 odd at Turf Moor plus sky/ bt package. Better than 1600 fishing village in the Faroes and Premier Sports that pack in after 60 mins :wink:

Eh, 22,500 capacity at Turf Moor.

CropleyWasGod
21-07-2018, 10:49 PM
40000 odd at Turf Moor plus sky/ bt package. Better than 1600 fishing village in the Faroes and Premier Sports that pack in after 60 mins :wink:Aberdeen don't get anything from the away leg. Nor do they get anything from TV.

The only way they will make more money than us is because their travel costs will be much lower.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 10:50 PM
Eh, 22,500 capacity at Turf Moor.
Do they share the away gate ? Just to help my argument Super Furry?:wink:

Sir David Gray
21-07-2018, 10:51 PM

Turf Moof doesn't hold anywhere near 40000 so they'll have a hard job having that many at the game.

B.H.F.C
21-07-2018, 10:52 PM
Aberdeen will get torn a new one. The gulf between the SPL and EPL is so big. None of the Scottish clubs will make the group stages imo.

That’s the spirit.

BILLYHIBS
Aberdeen don't get anything from the away leg. Nor do they get anything from TV.

The only way they will make more money than us is because their travel costs will be much lower.

Travel costs is good Sodge :wink:

IGRIGI
I think they'll do alright at Pittodrie but will probably get found out in the away leg given they haven't strengthened yet.

I hope they do well though given the views down south of the game up here.

bodhibs

I despise aberdeen and for that reason hope Burnley ruin them

Hibbyradge
21-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Do they share the away gate ? Just to help my argument Super Furry?:wink:

No

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 10:55 PM

Coefficient :thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 10:56 PM
It is the sheep though!

superfurryhibby
21-07-2018, 11:01 PM

Aberdeen have fielded some of the greatest Scottish players I’ve ever seen. Miller, Strachan and Archibald were true giants of our game in the late 70’s -mid 80’s.

Never relegated either, not bad going really.

HibeeBigFly
21-07-2018, 11:05 PM
I think Aberdeen will beat them on Thursday it's Burnley they are playing not AC Milan or Sevilla. Folk thinking they will get hammered are deluding themselves.

Clarence
21-07-2018, 11:08 PM

Aberdeen are a football club from Scotland and therefore represent Scotland in this tournament to one extent, however they do not represent the interests of all fans of Scottish football clubs.

Fans of Scottish teams that are in direct competition with Aberdeen realise that if Aberdeen football club is successful, then that success will bring more income for them and will allow them to pay higher wages for better players, which will give them an advantage over other teams in Scotland. So when a Hibs fan sees that Aberdeen are playing Burnley, on one level they might think “would be good to see a Scottish team do well against an English Premiership side”, pragmatism usually kicks in and leads to “ I hope those mutton molesters get pumped because more for them means less for us”.

CRAZYHIBBY
21-07-2018, 11:11 PM
Am oot wi an eberdeen **** noo.....no bad ****z liksay

My_Wife_Camille
21-07-2018, 11:14 PM
The only time I want to see Aberdeen win is against Hearts or and English Premier League side. I hope they batter Burnley silly and then in turn get battered silly by a team even more diddy than Runavik

Hibbyradge
21-07-2018, 11:17 PM
I hope Aberdeen beat them.

frazeHFC
21-07-2018, 11:18 PM
Dislike Aberdeen a lot but I hope they beat Burnley, shut all this pub league nonsense up. Can't see it though, think they'll do ok at home but get thumped away.

Nevi_SOL
21-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Aberdeen to win at home and an away draw

SteveHFC
21-07-2018, 11:39 PM
Aberdeen to beat them over the 2 legs please.

21-07-2018, 11:39 PM
I hope Aberdeen skelp them. A no mark club who confuse sky money with relevance.

22-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Burnley are like the Aberdeen of the EPL. Don't concede many goals and wins are often 1-0. Expect both matches to be tight low scoring games.

SquashedFrogg
22-07-2018, 12:56 AM
I hope Aberdeen skelp them. A no mark club who confuse sky money with relevance.

Wrong on so many levels. Proper football club. Sheep to get rightfully rodgered.

cabbageandribs1875
22-07-2018, 01:16 AM
hopefully aberdeen progress along with us :agree:

TelaStella
22-07-2018, 01:21 AM

Sound mate.

One Day Soon
22-07-2018, 01:32 AM

Eh, what the **** is a “Scottish football fan”? Your logic means I’m obligated to support the Ugly Sisters in Europe - never going to happen.

One Day Soon
22-07-2018, 01:35 AM

What utter 5hite. And I hope Aberdeen are horsed senseless.

badabing67
22-07-2018, 02:22 AM
Does anybody think we'd do better than Aberdeen. I think if we had the squad we had at the end of last season we would give Burnley a real game. But right now after losing key players from last season neither side would beat Burnley right now. The main thing Aberdeen have in their favour is that they are 3 weeks ahead in their pre season. So if Burnley get beat it serves right for not taking our league seriously.

SRHibs
22-07-2018, 02:34 AM
Eh, what the **** is a “Scottish football fan”? Your logic means I’m obligated to support the Ugly Sisters in Europe - never going to happen.

Somebody who wants teams to do well in Scotland for the good of Scottish football? It’s pretty self explanatory.

Austinho
22-07-2018, 02:42 AM
Happy to see all Scottish teams do well in Europe, except Hearts.

If we have any aspirations ourselves of getting to the group stages in the next few years, we need help with the coefficient. Also helps raise the profile of our game. Getting pumped by teams from Malta, Luxembourg and Gibraltar doesn’t do much for our reputation. Aberdeen beating Burnley would shut a few folk up down south, so I’m all for it.

I’d rather we got to experience proper Europe ties against big teams under the floodlights in August and September than playing unknowns during the school holidays.

superfurryhibby
22-07-2018, 03:06 AM

No, since we’re talking Aberdeen v Burnley there is no obligation to support the OF in Europe or anywhere else.

A Scottish football fan is someone who enjoys their football in this country. No that hard to grasp really, is it:confused:

18Craig75
22-07-2018, 05:38 AM
Hope Aberdeen do it!

SirDavidsNapper
22-07-2018, 06:04 AM
It's Burnley. And the EPL is vastly overrated. It'll be close.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2018, 06:14 AM
The only time I want to see Aberdeen win is against Hearts or and English Premier League side. I hope they batter Burnley silly and then in turn get battered silly by a team even more diddy than Runavik

Same here. Sick of hearing them talk about our pub league that their granny could be top scorer in.

Be great if Aberdeen could put one of the diddy teams out.

IGRIGI
22-07-2018, 06:29 AM

Triggered because someone said the word Scotish 😂.

"Scottish" Labour down to a tee.

wearethehibs
22-07-2018, 06:33 AM
Sick of constantly seeing EPL fans using the term “Tinpot” to describe our league and for that reason I want Aberdeen to win.

SouthMoroccoStu
22-07-2018, 06:33 AM
It's Burnley. And the EPL is vastly overrated. It'll be close.

Sadly Burnley will be facing the weakest Aberdeen team in about 5/6 years

But Aberdeen will still give them a game

brog
22-07-2018, 06:39 AM
I think Burnley will shade it but it will be close. English football is IMO vastly overrated but their players are much more physical than most in Scotland. Was good to see you last week Billy!

Michael
22-07-2018, 06:47 AM
I think folk are overrating Burnley. It'll be a close tie I reckon.

marinello59
22-07-2018, 07:00 AM
No, since we’re talking Aberdeen v Burnley there is no obligation to support the OF in Europe or anywhere else.

A Scottish football fan is someone who enjoys their football in this country. No that hard to grasp really, is it:confused:

I enjoy my fitba in this country and that enjoyment is definitely enhanced when Aberdeen get beaten. :greengrin

worcesterhibby
22-07-2018, 07:11 AM
Hope Aberdeen win, happy to see any Scottish team win in Europe, outside of Rangers and Hearts.

Billy Whizz
22-07-2018, 07:12 AM
Hope Aberdeen win, happy to see any Scottish team win in Europe, outside of Rangers and Hearts.

Me too

basehibby
22-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Same here. Sick of hearing them talk about our pub league that their granny could be top scorer in.

Be great if Aberdeen could put one of the diddy teams out.

This 100%. Some posters on here take parochial shortsightedness to a new level. The Scottish game desperately needs a coefficient boost - for the sake of every cub including Hibs - and for that reason alone it would be great to see every Scottish club (yes - even the ugly sisters) progress. For me that counts double against any side from the self aggrandizing ****er-factory that is the EPL. So **** Burnley and all who sail in her - come on the sheep!

K.Marx
22-07-2018, 07:28 AM
Hope Aberdeen pump them, bored of the self absorbed tourist league that is the EPL.

sambajustice
22-07-2018, 07:28 AM
I think Aberdeen will beat them on Thursday it's Burnley they are playing not AC Milan or Sevilla. Folk thinking they will get hammered are deluding themselves.

Burnley would probably beat AC Milan!!!

cleanyman
22-07-2018, 07:40 AM
Come on the dons.

All 3 teams have very tough ties I'd put them at 50-50

Smartie
22-07-2018, 08:02 AM
I'd love to see Aberdeen do well in this one.

Scottish teams have a half-decent record against English teams in Europe.

McInnes soils himself whenever he comes up against anyone he believes to be half decent though, so I think they'll get pumped.

sleeping giant
22-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Mon the Dons :thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
22-07-2018, 08:11 AM
Hope Aberdeen win. Only Scottish teams I want to fail in Europe are the OF and Hertz.

Pretty Boy
22-07-2018, 08:15 AM
I usually can't stand Aberdeen but I hope they at least give Burnley a game to ram all the 'pub league' ***** down the throats of the Sky generation and African Facebook experts.

No doubt Burnley are a decent, 'proper' club but they are one of those teams who annoy me because they should be no bigger than us, Hearts and Aberdeen but TV money has them operating in a different world. One major trophy and a couple of league titles in their history ffs.

SirDavidsNapper
22-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Pub league, Scottish football's a joke, Sunday league is better....etc etc. All things I've seen on social media recently from ignorant fans of Doncaster etc who have probably never watched a Scottish game. Hope Aberdeen shove it right up them. And p.s. Its not coming home

Cabbage East
22-07-2018, 08:39 AM
40000 odd at Turf Moor plus sky/ bt package. Better than 1600 fishing village in the Faroes and Premier Sports that pack in after 60 mins :win
k:

Bizarre post. 40,000 watching Burnley? Have you seen their shan ground?

SirDavidsNapper
22-07-2018, 08:42 AM

Aberdeen will have played infront of a bigger crowd last season at Easter Road than they will at Turf Moor.

Diclonius
22-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Without the English TV doping Burnley would be on par with a Kilmarnock or St Mirren. Hope Aberdeen pump them.

jacomo
22-07-2018, 08:52 AM
I’d like Aberdeen to win to help bolster Scottish football.

But Burnley are no mugs. They should be far too strong for them.

LancashireHibby
22-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Without the English TV doping Burnley would be on par with a Kilmarnock or St Mirren. Hope Aberdeen pump them.
Talking a little extreme given - last season apart - I expect Burnley have had a higher average crowd than Hibs for the last 20 years.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 08:57 AM
Looking like a lot of posters on here will be mutton interferers for two nights at least. Sean Dyche in the papers today saying people of Burnley did not expect his team to finish high enough to qualify for the Europa League it will be their first game in Europe for 52 years they expect a hard game and are looking forward to it. Let the Battle of Britain begin!

Scouse Hibee
22-07-2018, 08:59 AM
I really don’t care either way who wins, both clubs are of little consequence to me. Will be interesting to see the “gulf” in class between the two.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I really don’t care either way who wins, both clubs are of little consequence to me. Will be interesting to see the “gulf” in class between the two.
Aye! Burnley will be chasing shadows! :wink:

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Burnley should win over the two legs, but i dont think they will pump the sheep. I can see a very tight game at Pittodrie, and the dingles will probably win it at home.

BegbieHSC
22-07-2018, 09:14 AM
****ing hate Aberdeen. ****ing hate English football.

Aberdeen aren’t however Hearts or Huns or Celtic, so I hope they get it up on the arrogant, self-entitled, financially doped English clubs.

Mon’ the sheep. Dae it fir the ‘Diddy League.’

Dr What If?
22-07-2018, 09:33 AM
Aberdeen 100%. The Euro coefficient has been mentioned a few times and is an obvious one, if the best a Scottish club can hope for is 4 qualifying rounds before the group stages then our game will get next to no coverage outside of our own borders. That has a knock on effect on any tv deals (currently the financial gap means we struggle to compete on wages with England's 3rd/4th tier) and on transfer fees (a Scottish international is worth a fraction of an average English player).
That is just the practical side, this is also Scotland v England....according to their fans and media our game is bargain basement stuff. They probably think Fleetwood Mac could beat an SPL side, never mind Fleetwood Town....and Burnley shouldn't even break a sweat. If Aberdeen win and progress along with us (hopefully) that is at least a small message sent to the footballing world and another wee step in the recovery of our game.

Keith_M
22-07-2018, 09:34 AM
TBH, I would prefer to be playing Burnley.

I realise it's not exactly an exotic destination but I'm convinced we'd sell out the home game and take thousands with us to the away leg, with it being a lot easier, and cheaper, for people to get to.

Can you imagine the atmosphere in Burnley with thousands of Hibbies all determined to enjoy our 'European' jaunt? Surely that's the kind of event worth qualifying for. Not to mention the standard of team we'd be playing againt.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 09:42 AM
TBH, I would prefer to be playing Burnley.

I realise it's not exactly an exotic destination but I'm convinced we'd sell out the home game and take thousands with us to the away leg, with it being a lot easier, and cheaper, for people to get to.

Can you imagine the atmosphere in Burnley with thousands of Hibbies all determined to enjoy our 'European' jaunt? Surely that's the kind of event worth qualifying for. Not to mention the standard of team we'd be playing againt.

I'm with you, although we'd probably lose over the course of the tie, and there would be less money.

Although thinking about it, we'd probably make a bit from tv and a full house, perhaps we'd do well out of it?:confused:

The_Horde
22-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Could be an interesting one. Burnley are used to being the side who sit in and spoil and they'll have to actually attack Aberdeen which might not suit them.

Keith_M
22-07-2018, 10:05 AM
I'm with you, although we'd probably lose over the course of the tie, and there would be less money.

Although thinking about it, we'd probably make a bit from tv and a full house, perhaps we'd do well out of it?:confused:

Yeah, it's too difficult to call when it comes to the money side of things. If we get put out by Asteris Tripolis, I expect we'll have made a lot less than Aberdeen will be making.

hfc rd
22-07-2018, 10:06 AM
I hope Aberdeen win the tie for Scottish football and ram it up the so-called “experts” down south. Plus it’ll help the nations co-efficient. Having said that, I reckon Burnley will just about edge it but hopefully I’m proved wrong.

Billychaotic182
22-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Really hope Aberdeen smash them. Hate all the English slagging Scottish football. Arrogant twats

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Yeah, it's too difficult to call when it comes to the money side of things. If we get put out by Asteris Tripolis, I expect we'll have made a lot less than Aberdeen will be making.Not sure of that.

From what I've read, the TV money goes to UEFA. That's why the prize money is so good. And clubs keep their home gate cash.

If both clubs are knocked out in this round, we'll have made more money than Aberdeen, by virtue of our having played more rounds.

Keith_M
22-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Not sure of that.

From what I've read, the TV money goes to UEFA. That's why the prize money is so good. And clubs keep their home gate cash.

If both clubs are knocked out in this round, we'll have made more money than Aberdeen, by virtue of our having played more rounds.

OK, fair enough.

So playing Burnley in this round would most likely be worth slightly more in gate money and less expense for the club and fans, but not a massive difference money wise.

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2018, 10:17 AM
OK, fair enough.

So playing Burnley in this round would most likely be worth slightly more in gate money and less expense for the club and fans, but not a massive difference money wise.More or less. And, arguably, we have a better chance of getting to the next round and more money.

Cod Boy
22-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Take the tv money away and we’re would Burnley be.

Tommy75
22-07-2018, 10:26 AM
The same people who want Aberdeen to win are probably the same people who would be going mental if dylan mcgeouch had signed for them. Aberdeen fans and the media don't need any more excuses to spout on about how they are the 'second force in Scottish football'. Two league cups since 1990 is not a great return.

We will be shopping in the same market as Aberdeen this summer for players. I reckon if Aberdeen beat Burnley that may make them a more attractive prospect than Hibs.

BullsCloseHibs
22-07-2018, 10:46 AM
The same people who want Aberdeen to win are probably the same people who would be going mental if dylan mcgeouch had signed for them. Aberdeen fans and the media don't need any more excuses to spout on about how they are the 'second force in Scottish football'. Two league cups since 1990 is not a great return.

We will be shopping in the same market as Aberdeen this summer for players. I reckon if Aberdeen beat Burnley that may make them a more attractive prospect than Hibs.

Difficult to disagree with any of that. I hope we can be the second force in Scotland now. Its long overdue and is certainly obtainable for HFC.

Itsnoteasy
22-07-2018, 10:47 AM

Maybe their 2nd Scottish team is The Rangers, they have a fascination with all things English.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:05 AM

We wouldn’t make any extra money from tv. That is all centralised by UEFA and is how they pay each club for competing in each round.
I don’t get this Burnley as a glamour game chat.

MWHIBBIES
22-07-2018, 11:07 AM

Same place, everyone in England gets the same as those around them, more or less. The TV dopes the entire league, not single teams.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Same place, everyone in England gets the same as those around them, more or less. The TV dopes the entire league, not single teams.

Not quite true. The TV money has made the amount of paying customers that you attract to your games less important. This has allowed well run outfits like Burnley, Bournemouth etc to rise above not so well run teams like Leeds, the Sheffield clubs etc. Bournemouth now outspending these big clubs easily. That could never have happened before the tv money.

HibeeBigFly
22-07-2018, 11:28 AM

It amazes me how bad the likes of Burnley are even with the tv money. If Aberdeen don't put them out they will get emptied by a team with a a minimum of a 10th of the budget they have. Can someone please tell me any good players they actually have?

Johnny_Leith
22-07-2018, 11:32 AM
It amazes me how bad the likes of Burnley are even with the tv money. If Aberdeen don't put them out they will get emptied by a team with a a minimum of a 10th of the budget they have. Can someone please tell me any good players they actually have?

Joey gudmundsson, Iceland winger, great wee player.
Chris Wood is a big physical striker who gets goals.
Both nick pope and Tom heaton are very consistent keepers.
Roby Brady (injured?) And Steven defour are very talented players.
Joey Barton can pick a coupon.

MWHIBBIES
22-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Not quite true. The TV money has made the amount of paying customers that you attract to your games less important. This has allowed well run outfits like Burnley, Bournemouth etc to rise above not so well run teams like Leeds, the Sheffield clubs etc. Bournemouth now outspending these big clubs easily. That could never have happened before the tv money.

Those clubs were in the premier league long before Burnley though, they pissed it away and deserve to be where they are now. Burnley didn't and have earned this.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Makes you realise what a massive own goal it was when the SFA or SPL told Sky Sports to sling their hook! :bye:

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Those clubs were in the premier league long before Burnley though, they pissed it away and deserve to be where they are now. Burnley didn't and have earned this.

That’s not my point though, just that the tv money allows small clubs to out spend big clubs. That never happened before.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Makes you realise what a massive own goal it was when the SFA or SPL told Sky Sports to sling their hook! :bye:

Rod felt SPL tv was the better option and we’ll never know if he was right or wrong.

Danderhall Hibs
22-07-2018, 11:43 AM
That’s not my point though, just that the tv money allows small clubs to out spend big clubs. That never happened before.

I did laugh a few weeks ago when Huddersfield signed a guy for millions from Monaco who said he couldn’t wait to move over and get started.

I think he meant his bank manager couldn’t wait.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 11:46 AM
We wouldn’t make any extra money from tv. That is all centralised by UEFA and is how they pay each club for competing in each round.
I don’t get this Burnley as a glamour game chat.

Is that correct, as it used to be you made your own arrangements with the tv companies?

Perhaps a new thing?

cabbageandribs1875
22-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Aberdeen 100%. The Euro coefficient has been mentioned a few times and is an obvious one, if the best a Scottish club can hope for is 4 qualifying rounds before the group stages then our game will get next to no coverage outside of our own borders. That has a knock on effect on any tv deals (currently the financial gap means we struggle to compete on wages with England's 3rd/4th tier) and on transfer fees (a Scottish international is worth a fraction of an average English player).
That is just the practical side, this is also Scotland v England....according to their fans and media our game is bargain basement stuff. They probably think Fleetwood Mac could beat an SPL side, never mind Fleetwood Town....and Burnley shouldn't even break a sweat. If Aberdeen win and progress along with us (hopefully) that is at least a small message sent to the footballing world and another wee step in the recovery of our game.

at last, a common sense post :top marks

superfurryhibby
22-07-2018, 12:15 PM
TV money determines many things in this footballing era. Celtic are around the 9th best supported clubs in Europe and the Hun are mid teens in terms of average home attendance.

Neither can come close to the spending power of the likes of Burnley.

My football loyalties are fickle. In the SPL I always want Hearts, Rangers and Celtic to lose, unless the score suits Hibs. In Europe I tend to favour Scottish clubs over others, albeit enjoying some OF losses too. I remember smirking quite a bit as the HUN bored their way to a European final and I’ve also liked some of Celtic’s better European results. In the same vein, I was quite keen on Aberdeen and Utd’s campaigns 8n Europe back in the 80’s.

Anyway, the sheep will no doubt be well sheared by Burnley, so we won’t have to contemplate greeting because victory would give them the money to have signed the likes of McGeouch.

Come Thursday, I’ll be too busy cheering in the Hibs to give a ****.

Keith_M
22-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Lancashire?

:dunno:

Cod Boy
22-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Lancashire?

:dunno:
😱

CropleyWasGod
22-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Is that correct, as it used to be you made your own arrangements with the tv companies?

Perhaps a new thing?Relatively new AFAIK. It wasn't in place when we played Brondby.

I've yet to see definitive proof that it's the case, but it would make sense. The funding of competing teams has changed... for the better.... And spreading the T.V. money around would pay for that.

It also helps avoid situations where teams lose out because of high travel costs.... St Johnstone spring to mind.

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Relatively new AFAIK. It wasn't in place when we played Brondby.

I've yet to see definitive proof that it's the case, but it would make sense. The funding of competing teams has changed... for the better.... And spreading the T.V. money around would pay for that.

It also helps avoid situations where teams lose out because of high travel costs.... St Johnstone spring to mind.

Cheers, i think its a good idea for the reason you stated. :agree:

jacomo
22-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Wrong on so many levels. Proper football club. Sheep to get rightfully rodgered.

:agree:

Burnley are English footballing royalty. They deserve their place in the top flight as much as anyone.

Speedway
22-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Burnley’s pre-season has been dodgy and they haven’t signed anyone but they’ve got several internationalists in their side and finished Top 7 last season with the same side that will play the sheep.

I want the sheep to progress but Burnley will do them at home.

One Day Soon
23-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Triggered because someone said the word Scotish 😂.

"Scottish" Labour down to a tee.

‘Scotish’ eh? You’d think you’d get that right with the amount of obsessive McGlashan stuff you post.

AgentDaleCooper
23-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Talking a little extreme given - last season apart - I expect Burnley have had a higher average crowd than Hibs for the last 20 years.

Incorrect :aok:

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Aberdeen 1 v 1 WBA

Looking promising for Burnley! I know only a friendly but shudda had a penalty according to McInnes - he always says that! :wink:

MWHIBBIES
23-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Aberdeen 1 v 1 WBA

Looking promising for Burnley! I know only a friendly but shudda had a penalty according to McInnes - he always says that! :wink:
Wba got relegated mind, Burnley finished 7th.If they don't win at home they're not winning at all.

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Wba got relegated mind, Burnley finished 7th.If they don't win at home they're not winning at all.
:thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
23-07-2018, 12:55 PM
Aberdeen or Burnley to play Istanbul Basaksehir in third qualifying round

The Rangers play Maribor or Chikhuru Sachkhere if they get through

Stokesy's on fire
23-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Aberdeen are going to get destroyed which i will find very pleasing. Horrible club with a boring passionless fan base.

Slavers
23-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Aberdeen are going to get destroyed which i will find very pleasing. Horrible club with a boring passionless fan base.

Passionless? Tell that to the many sheep that get bothered by their fans!

HelmutSchlong
25-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Burnley to be sanctioned for failing to arrive in Aberdeen in time for the Europa match

More evidence of the decline of English football

The Harp Awakes
25-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Hope not. Apart from the Huns I'd support any Scottish team against English opposition. Good luck to the dons.

Michael
25-07-2018, 07:59 PM

Don't have a problem with Aberdeen. Just folk supporting their local club.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Aberdeen for me. We need all our clubs to pull their weight in Europe if our league is to get back to a higher standard.

Whilst it's improving and the proof is in tbe pudding with fans flooding through the turnstiles all over the country it's now we need to build on that and take on to the European stage.

T.v. companies might give us an ok deal this time round but if in 5 years time we've got clubs qualifying for the group stages it will be even better.

Our country needs a strong celtic, a strong rangers, a strong hibs, a strong Aberdeen and a strong hearts whether we admit or want that. The defeats to Lincoln red imps, progres and birkikara have sent us further down the co-efficient table.

It's easy to blame English football and sky for our current predicament but with a better product on offer throughout the country, players like Dylan won't be leaving us for a third tier side in England

BOB MARLEYS DUG
25-07-2018, 08:47 PM
I reckon Aberdeen will give them a game tomorrow and may surprise a few people. 1-0 Dons or 1-1.

CapitalGreen
25-07-2018, 08:59 PM
Relatively new AFAIK. It wasn't in place when we played Brondby.

Is that not just the TV money for the competition proper (Group Stages onwards) which is auctioned off to the highest bidder? BT are paying ~£300m a year for UCL and EL coverage in the UK.

Lancs Harp
25-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Burnley are like the Aberdeen of the EPL. Don't concede many goals and wins are often 1-0. Expect both matches to be tight low scoring games.

I think both games will be tight too. Think Burnley will edge it but wouldnt be totally surprised if the Dons turned them over.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2018, 09:49 PM
No TV companies took up this glamour tie.[emoji23]

CmoantheHibs
25-07-2018, 09:54 PM
I really hope Aberdeen hump them. It's a Scotland England match up with a major David vs goliath feel. It would be wonderful to ram it up all the tossers down south that decry our game and overlook the effect of sky.

wookie70
25-07-2018, 10:25 PM
I really hope Aberdeen hump them. It's a Scotland England match up with a major David vs goliath feel. It would be wonderful to ram it up all the tossers down south that decry our game and overlook the effect of sky.

Agreed, our game needs Scottish team to be successful in Europe. As long as we are doing equally well them I'm hoping for good runs from all the teams and the coefficient rising and making it easier in future.

H18 SFR
25-07-2018, 10:47 PM
Burnley are a no show yet according to SSN. They've not left Burnley yet.

bodhibs
25-07-2018, 10:49 PM
Burnley are a no show yet according to SSN. They've not left Burnley yet.

That's bizarre if true, long days travel tomorrow

sauzee6_2
25-07-2018, 10:57 PM
That's bizarre if true, long days travel tomorrow

No it’s not. 45 minute flight - remember travelling by plane is standard in the EPL.

It will take Burnley less time to get to Pittodrie than I would the Hibs bus.

H18 SFR
25-07-2018, 11:00 PM
No it’s not. 45 minute flight - remember travelling by plane is standard in the EPL.

SSN said they're making a 5 and a half hour journey tomorrow. I'm presuming there has been a problem with their charter flight.

Diclonius
25-07-2018, 11:08 PM

It's a sad, sad day when Aberdeen (UEFA Cup equivalent winner) are David and Burnley (won the national Cup about 100 years ago) are Goliath.

sauzee6_2
25-07-2018, 11:35 PM
It's a sad, sad day when Aberdeen (UEFA Cup equivalent winner) are David and Burnley (won the national Cup about 100 years ago) are Goliath.

Only if you live in the past.

Let’s be honest, Aberdeen have done nothing in Europe for 30 years, admittedly neither have Burnley, but qualifying for Europe in the EPL is regarded the same as winning a cup.

The size of a club no longer depends on the number of fans they have. It’s more about bank balances - unfortunately Scottish football is miles behind.

Until the people running ‘our’ game make some serious decisions we will always be ‘David’.

Ozyhibby
25-07-2018, 11:35 PM

They will be fined by UEFA as you are supposed to be there 24 hours before the game.

MWHIBBIES
26-07-2018, 12:11 AM

Is it really sad? It would be sad if the same teams were good forever. Aberdeen were having a golden spell then, Burnley are having one now.

AZhibee
26-07-2018, 12:23 AM
They will be fined by UEFA as you are supposed to be there 24 hours before the game.

Seriously? What if the teams are real close like a Dutch v Belgian side?

HoboHarry
26-07-2018, 12:42 AM
I would prefer being David - he had vastly superior weapons technology and he won did he not?

HoboHarry
26-07-2018, 12:49 AM
Not sure I agree with that? The Cup Winners Cup ranked above the UEFA Cup IIRC and Spurs won the UEFA Cup that year....

SirDavidsNapper
26-07-2018, 05:47 AM

Its nuts but thats modern football. It should really be a non event. Aberdeen, big city, slayers of the mighty Real Madrid, multiple domestic and European honours v a market town in Lancashire.

In reality Aberdeen are small fish compared to Burnley. It is what it is. I dont think it'll be a walk in the park for Burnley like some down south are saying. I really hope Aberdeen ram some of the comments from England back down their throats.

The Salford City - Rooney thing and the "footballs coming home" chat has reminded me that the English media and the ignorant hangers on are best ignored.

Never thought I'd say this but come on the Dons!

The Spaceman
26-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Affa hopin Aberdeen beat Burnley. Fit like! Mon the Dons.

Bangkok Hibby
26-07-2018, 07:03 AM
I think they'll do alright at Pittodrie but will probably get found out in the away leg given they haven't strengthened yet.

I hope they do well though given the views down south of the game up here.

What he said...plus the coefficient to think of.

Billy Whizz
26-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Seriously? What if the teams are real close like a Dutch v Belgian side?

That’s the rules

CropleyWasGod
26-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Seriously? What if the teams are real close like a Dutch v Belgian side?I'm not sure what difference it makes how close the teams are.

SquashedFrogg
26-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Is it really sad? It would be sad if the same teams were good forever. Aberdeen were having a golden spell then, Burnley are having one now.

I think the sadness comes from the financial gulf.

calumhibee1
26-07-2018, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure what difference it makes how close the teams are.

If the teams are an hour apart (say we drew Celtic in the Europa) why do they have to travel to the city a day before the game when they could just travel and get there for kick off is the question being asked.

Presume it’s to stop teams not turning up for games due to delays at airports etc and is just applied as a blanket rule.

green&left
26-07-2018, 07:50 AM
If the teams are an hour apart (say we drew Celtic in the Europa) why do they have to travel to the city a day before the game when they could just travel and get there for kick off is the question being asked.

Presume it’s to stop teams not turning up for games due to delays at airports etc and is just applied as a blanket rule.

Media obligations.

BILLYHIBS
26-07-2018, 07:52 AM
Any fine imposed by EUFA on a big EPL club like Burnley will be a drop in the ocean to them. Anyone know how much the fine is? If they are taking a five and a half hour journey they must be coming up by bus with their dough they will be able to afford to stop off for a chipper on the way back. A good day out! Anyone think they might be taking the dons lightly or showing a lack of respect?

superfurryhibby
26-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Not sure I agree with that? The Cup Winners Cup ranked above the UEFA Cup IIRC and Spurs won the UEFA Cup that year....

Cup winners cup was definitely more prestigious than the Uefa cup.

Scottish team, including the likes of Aberdeen , Dundee Utd, Hibs, Dundee, Dunfermline and St Johnston all had magnificent results against very good European teams in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. There was no massive gulf in finances like there is now and that’s what is crap about the modern game.

That said, scottish teams should be doing better than defeats against part time players etc.

SirDavidsNapper
26-07-2018, 09:44 AM
Did Asteras train at Easter Road last night? Normally see a clip or photo emerge from somewhere but i've not seen anything.

WestStandWillie
26-07-2018, 11:20 AM
Did Asteras train at Easter Road last night? Normally see a clip or photo emerge from somewhere but i've not seen anything.

Aye, it was quite late oan as well. Floodlights were still on as I was coming back fae the pub.

hfc rd
26-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Aye, it was quite late oan as well. Floodlights were still on as I was coming back fae the pub.

Lennon and Parker were watching them through one of the windows in the stand.

Hermit Crab
26-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Lennon and Parker were watching them through one of the windows in the stand.

Sneaky stuff, I like it! :greengrin

Iggy Pope
26-07-2018, 01:45 PM

They've won the English title a wee bit more recently than Hibs have won the Scottish one you know. Wee bit perspective. They're not giants but neither are Aberdeen. TV money or not I think they're about the same.

Gatecrasher
26-07-2018, 02:59 PM
http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30783

This threads pretty funny, a Don at the wind up

cleanyman
26-07-2018, 03:44 PM
They've sold out

Well done

Sean1875
26-07-2018, 03:48 PM
http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30783

This threads pretty funny, a Don at the wind up

Had a wee giggle to that, that Don is on one :faf:

BullsCloseHibs
26-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Affa hopin Aberdeen beat Burnley. Fit like! Mon the Dons.

Totally

BILLYHIBS
26-07-2018, 10:32 PM
Cmon boys let’s hear it for the sheep! A wee provincial club from the north of Scotland holding the might of Burnley at home.

Wait one cotton picking minute did Aberdeen no win the European Super Cup as well?

CropleyWasGod
27-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Alastair Campbell's take on the game.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jul/27/aberdeen-burnley-europa-league?__twitter_impression=true

Nakedmanoncrack
27-07-2018, 06:03 PM
That odious individual Alastair Campbell (assuming same one) is enough to put me off following the link.

Alastair Campbell's take on the game.

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/jul/27/aberdeen-burnley-europa-league?__twitter_impression=true

CropleyWasGod
28-07-2018, 12:11 PM
That odious individual Alastair Campbell (assuming same one) is enough to put me off following the link.Fair do's [emoji16]

If I reworded my post to say "a Burnley supporter's take on things", would that help? [emoji16]

(tries to put the genie back in the bottle)

superfurryhibby
28-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Cmon boys let’s hear it for the sheep! A wee provincial club from the north of Scotland holding the might of Burnley at home.

Wait one cotton picking minute did Aberdeen no win the European Super Cup as well?

Yep, that 110 million pound difference in annual turnover makes no difference whatsoever.

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 01:32 PM
That odious individual Alastair Campbell (assuming same one) is enough to put me off following the link.

Decent piece of writing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is It On....
28-07-2018, 01:33 PM

"...two Premier League games in England are worth the same as a whole season’s Scottish football TV revenues..."

bigwheel
28-07-2018, 01:44 PM
"...two Premier League games in England are worth the same as a whole season’s Scottish football TV revenues..."

Stark that isn’t it.....

danhibees1875
28-07-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm surprised they'd have to play the second game. I thought they'd easily get 38x more than us. I'd have thought it more accurate to say by half time in their first game they'll have earned what Scottish clubs do in a season.

CropleyWasGod
28-07-2018, 02:18 PM

I thought so, too.

When AC steers away from politics, and talks about other things that are important to him personally (fitba, depression, Scotland), he's always worth listening to IMO.

Is It On....
28-07-2018, 03:04 PM
I'm surprised they'd have to play the second game. I thought they'd easily get 38x more than us. I'd have thought it more accurate to say by half time in their first game they'll have earned what Scottish clubs do in a season.

The positive angle (bear with me) is that it means we have to to be more creative and structured about our recruitment of players. The strategy of signing loads of players and hoping one or two make is niave at best and extremely costly at worst. I much prefer the methodical approach that Hibs have implemented in recent years and it's one of the reasons I am relatively relaxed about our transfer dealings this window as I believe the structured approach has more chance if being successful in finding players like Kamberi, McLaren, etc in the long term. When even National League sides can outbid Scottish clubs on wages (Adam Rooney) then I really think it's not just the best strategy but the only one and much prefer it to the scatter gun approach being employed by Hearts and Rangers.

BILLYHIBS
02-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Unlucky Aberdeen! Well played you did Scotland proud!

Well played and well done the Hibees The HIBS go marching on!

Well done our other team in Europe I hope your next ***** is a hedgehog :wink:

danhibees1875
02-08-2018, 10:58 PM
Aberdeen got to be wondering how this happened.

They won the race for 2nd, and produce 2 good performances to go unbeaten against an extremely rich team and are out, without dusting off their passports, with £250k prize money.

Hibs and rangers lost the race, but have played easier games, still in the tournament, and £750k prize money so far.

The_Horde
02-08-2018, 10:59 PM
**** Aberdeen. But glad to see the arrogant English being brought down to their level. Be absolutely rotten down there without the foreigners it really would!

Gatecrasher
03-08-2018, 06:41 AM
The Dons were superb last night, I thought they looked the most likely to score prior to extra time.

green day
03-08-2018, 06:56 AM
Aberdeen got to be wondering how this happened.

They won the race for 2nd, and produce 2 good performances to go unbeaten against an extremely rich team and are out, without dusting off their passports, with £250k prize money.

Hibs and rangers lost the race, but have played easier games, still in the tournament, and £750k prize money so far.

Your not wrong, they do seem to have had the ****ty end of the stick but - thats the luck of the draw.

They could have go many easier sides than Burnley, pushed through and be only one match from knockout stages (and would prob have a better seeding than us??)

essexhibee
03-08-2018, 07:06 AM
Didn’t look out of place at all I was really impressed from what I saw. Just ran out of gas at the end.

O'Rourke3
03-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Dons were unluckly. Another superb performance (second half - I was busy first half) from Lewis in goals.