PDA

View Full Version : Matt Kennedy.

Thecat23
21-07-2018, 10:39 AM
I just seen on twitter Matt Kennedy has signed with St. Johnstone. I take it it’s the same one who played for us a while back. Says he’s only 23 seems to have been around for ages as well.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
21-07-2018, 10:40 AM
I just seen on twitter Matt Kennedy has signed with St. Johnstone. I take it it’s the same one who played for us a while back. Says he’s only 23 seems to have been around for ages as well.

Good signing for them IMO, think he’ll do well. Was decent for Cardiff at one point IIRC.

Diclonius
21-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Just noticed that he was a free agent yesterday. I reckon he'd have been a decent signing for us. Think he'll do well.

O'Rourke3
21-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Apart from the big deflection goal to equalise against United in the League Cup I can't really remember him being that good. I get he was a young player on loan from a big club but he never got any game time and was pretty ineffectual when he did. Course that may have been down to Stubb's narrow view of how we played but I've put Matty K in the loan players who I'd rather forget. Everton to SFPL in a short spell may say more about Kennedy's attitude/effort rather than outright ability. He'll of course now turn out to be devastating....

CapitalGreen
21-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Was a good player for us but his gametime suffered as a result of us switching from a system with wingers to Stubbs beloved diamond formation.

hfc rd
21-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Good signing for them. He’s someone that would have flourished under NL under this current system that we play. Didn’t work out for him when he was here previously as Stubbs preferred a narrow diamond midfield

Pedantic_Hibee
21-07-2018, 11:17 AM
He looked fantastic at first, reminded me of Barker actually. Fearless on the ball and drove at defenders every time he got the ball.

As CG says, Stubbs changed formation and he found game time hard to come by.

SChibs
21-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Played well on loan to Portsmouth I think it was

brog
21-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Seems to be a Hibs Net "fact" that Stubbs played a diamond formation. That would be why he signed Boyle, Kennedy, Feruz of course. Mind you most posters on here would insist we need Marv for the big games such as the one on 21/5/16. Stubbs changed the system regularly depending on players available to him & the opposition set up. He was rewarded for his courage & invention on that famous day.

LancsHibs
21-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Blimey, recognise the name but honestly can’t remember him!

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Blimey, recognise the name but honestly can’t remember him!

Played in the 1st 4/5 games when Hibs Stubbs took over
Think he was hooked after we’d lost 3 out of first 4 League games that season in the championship
Won home to Livvi, then lost away to Hearts, home to Falkirk and then away at Alloa
I wonder what it would have been like on here, the day we lost to Alloa😬

1van Sprou7e
21-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Seems to be a Hibs Net "fact" that Stubbs played a diamond formation. That would be why he signed Boyle, Kennedy, Feruz of course. Mind you most posters on here would insist we need Marv for the big games such as the one on 21/5/16. Stubbs changed the system regularly depending on players available to him & the opposition set up. He was rewarded for his courage & invention on that famous day.

It is a basic fact that Stubbs liked a narrow midfield and generally avoided wingers

He would either play a narrow diamond or a 3-5-2, both of which were used on 21.5.16

Feruz was a striker and the fact that Boyle was mainly used up front or at right wing back while Kennedy struggled for a game is just further evidence for this

CapitalGreen
21-07-2018, 12:06 PM

Kennedy returned to Everton at the start of January 15, well before Stubbs started using 3-5-2/5-3-2.

Feruz was a striker and Boyle spent the most part of his early months at Hibs as a sub.

Tyler Durden
21-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Kennedy returned to Everton at the start of January 15, well before Stubbs started using 3-5-2/5-3-2.

Feruz was a striker and Boyle spent the most part of his early months at Hibs as a sub.

Stubbs played a 3-5-2 from September/October time. After a few defeats to Alloa and QOS he used 3-5-2 as a “back to basics” type approach and to give us more defensive cover.

We played 3-5-2 when we beat Ross County away in the League Cup and then when we beat Rangers 3-1 at Ibrox. Only after that run and when Scott Allan and McGeouch got fit and started to flourish, did we switch to the diamond.

But as Brog says, Stubbs played various formations in both seasons

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Think he was hooked after we’d lost 3 out of first 4 League games that season in the championship
Won home to Livvi, then lost away to Hearts, home to Falkirk and then away at Alloa
I wonder what it would have been like on here, the day we lost to Alloa[emoji51]I remember it well one thread was titled "could we go down again"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 12:26 PM
I remember it well one thread was titled "could we go down again"

Think we lost 4 out of 6 first games. Basically gave the league to Hearts before September was out

Borderhibbie76
21-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Think we lost 4 out of 6 first games. Basically gave the league to Hearts before September was outYeah it was a shocker of a start

oneone73
21-07-2018, 01:22 PM
Yeah it was a shocker of a start

And all down to Liam Craig's missed penalty!

Leith's finest
21-07-2018, 09:52 PM
Did he not miss a penalty in the shoot out v dundee utd to put us through

we are hibs
21-07-2018, 10:00 PM

Both he and Gray. One made up for it about a year and a half later though...

IIRC Gray's pen was actually quite good but it was an unbelievable save from the United goalkeeper.

21-07-2018, 10:04 PM

Bartley was an unused sub on 21.5.16.

MWHIBBIES
21-07-2018, 10:07 PM

It is a fact, Stubbs played a diamond or 3-5-2. We didn't need Marv Vs that Rangers team because we were better than them.

O'Rourke3
21-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Can't multi quote... Was the unbelievable save not from Alex Harris?. Those quoting the Brogs Marvin Bartley post are agreeing with him if you read the post properly. The tone of the posts suggest you don't.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

hibbysam
22-07-2018, 06:54 AM

Yes after John Rankin skied his MK had the kick to put us through. Regardless of what happened to United after that, this was one of the games that officially turned us around.

we are hibs
22-07-2018, 08:14 AM
Can't multi quote... Was the unbelievable save not from Alex Harris?. Those quoting the Brogs Marvin Bartley post are agreeing with him if you read the post properly. The tone of the posts suggest you don't.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Defo sir Dave.

3:40 https://youtu.be/eEQiteAn_gU

blackpoolhibs
22-07-2018, 09:37 AM
I wonder what it would have been like on here, the day we lost to Alloa😬

It was fine, some of the same folk who crucified us on thursday, had excuse after excuse for that result. :rolleyes:

hfc rd
22-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Yes after John Rankin skied his MK had the kick to put us through. Regardless of what happened to United after that, this was one of the games that officially turned us around.

I agree, it was the start of the turnaround and the position we find ourselves in now. I remember at the end of the pens, every Hibs fan stood up to applaud the team that night.

Winston Ingram
22-07-2018, 12:20 PM

It’s a fact not just a Hibs.net fact.

He started playing it around the October of his 1st season which led to Kennedy losing his place in the team and being sent back to Everton in the Jan. Boyle was signed as a striker and that’s where he played in his early games for us. Feruz was a Centre forward not a wide player.