PDA

View Full Version : Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round

Pages : [1] 2

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Hibs will at least be in the hat for Monday's draw. Says its 2pm CET, so should be around 1pm UK time
Seems to be 2 draws, one for Champions path, that Celtic could be in if they lose to Rosenberg, and then the main path

UEFA haven't put the seeds up yet, but there's something on the wiki page, but includes seeded teams like Seville, Zenit, Olympiakos, Ajax, Brondy, to name a few

As an aside, noticed another Faroes Islands tea, B36 Torshaven qualified last night for the 2nd round. They knocked out a team from Montenegro, who finished 2nd in their league last season They are a point ahead of Runavik in the league, and play Besiktas in the 2nd round

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/draws/round=2000988/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%9319_UEFA_Europa_League_qualifying_phas e_and_play-offs_(Main_Path)#Seeding_4

Diclonius
20-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately we'll be unseeded for this one too, as Asteras' coefficient isn't great. Potential opponents include Sevilla, Zenit, Basel, Besiktas, Olympiacos, Braga, AZ, Feyenoord, Rapid Vienna, and Maribor (remember them?).

frazeHFC
20-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Either hope we get drawn with a potential game against one of the big teams like Sevilla, or we get the easiest possible team with a good chance of progressing.

Hibee87
20-07-2018, 02:19 PM
Unfortunately we'll be unseeded for this one too, as Asteras' coefficient isn't great. Potential opponents include Sevilla, Zenit, Basel, Besiktas, Olympiacos, Braga, AZ, Feyenoord, Rapid Vienna, and Maribor (remember them?).

Would love a trip to Alkmaar as its only a few miles north of Amsterdam. :cb

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Somewhere accessible with direct flights would be a bonus

Big_Franck
20-07-2018, 03:34 PM
This is maybe getting ahead of ourselves as we need to beat a decent Greek side to get this far. IF we are good enough to get past the Greeks below is a list of the teams we can get drawn against for the 3rd Round.

Our best chance of progressing would be if we get drawn against one of the seeds that still have to play their 2nd Round tie, who then go on to lose to the unseeded team in the 2nd Round.

Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)
Olympiakos Piraeus (GRE)
Sporting Braga (POR)
AA Gent (BEL)
Feyenoord (NED)
Rapid Wien (AUT)
Sevilla (ESP) or Újpest (HUN)
Besiktas (TUR) or B36 Tórshavn (FRO)
Sparta Prague (CZE) or Spartak Subotica (SRB)
FC København (DEN) or Stjarnan (ISL)
Steaua Bucharest (ROM) or Rudar Velenje (SVN)
Racing Genk (BEL) or Fola Esch (LUX)
AZ Alkmaar (NED) or Kairat Almaty (KAZ)
NK Maribor (SVN) or Chikhura Sachkhere (GEO)
Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR) or Radnički Niš (SRB)
RB Leipzig (GER) or Häcken (SWE)
Partizan Belgrade (SRB) or Trakai (LTU)
Burnley FC (ENG booo) or Aberdeen (SCO)
Atalanta (ITA) or Sarajevo (BIH)
Molde FK (NOR) or Laç (ALB)
Girondins Bordeaux (FRA) or Ventspils (LVA)
FC Ufa (RUS) or Domžale (SVN)
Apollon Limassol (CYP) or Željezničar (BIH)
PAOK (GRE) v Basel (SUI)
Ajax (NED) v Sturm Graz (AUT)

The last 2 ties on the list drop down from the Champions League qualifiers in to our draw, despite there also being a Champions path in the Europa League. In this scenario it's the side that lose their Champions League qualifier that drop down in to our draw obviously.

Ozyhibby
20-07-2018, 03:57 PM
Some very tough ties there but also a lot that are winnable if we are at our best. Have to hope for a kind draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
20-07-2018, 03:59 PM
Some great ties there. Hope tae god we get through

hibee_nation
20-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Swiss or Austrian team would be ideal for me, I'll be touring the Alps then. If we get past the Greeks first. :flag:

greenlex
20-07-2018, 04:07 PM
I keep hearing this Greek side are decent. I confess I don’t know a huge deal about them. Had a quick look. Finished 5th in the Greek league. 30 games played. Won 12 drew 9 and lost 9. Not really prolific scorers either. Should we really be fearing them? Being a bit stereo typical. Greek teams don’t travel too well either. It’s definately doable if we turn up.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 04:12 PM
I keep hearing this Greek side are decent. I confess I don’t know a huge deal about them. Had a quick look. Finished 5th in the Greek league. 30 games played. Won 12 drew 9 and lost 9. Not really prolific scorers either. Should we really be fearing them? Being a bit stereo typical. Greek teams don’t travel too well either. It’s definately doable if we turn up.

They've just signed about 10 players we know nothing about, mostly Spanish and Argentinian. At least somebody posted that a few days ago.

Speedy
20-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Either hope we get drawn with a potential game against one of the big teams like Sevilla, or we get the easiest possible team with a good chance of progressing.

I hope we get one of the beatable teams who are seeded in the play off round.

Avoiding Sevilla etc.

Sir David Gray
20-07-2018, 04:25 PM
They've just signed about 10 players we know nothing about, mostly Spanish and Argentinian. At least somebody posted that a few days ago.

They have loads of Spanish and Argentinian players on their books, some of which appear to have a decent pedigree.

LustForLeith
20-07-2018, 04:51 PM
Hope we get Aberdeen

LustForLeith
20-07-2018, 04:53 PM

I was thinking the same until I saw the result last night.

TheGreenMan
20-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Let's get the worst team possible. None of this fairy tale heroic losers pish against a big name team. Let's get to the groups then we can take our David v goliath shot at glory

basehibby
20-07-2018, 05:44 PM

Have been in Greece this last week on my holyhocks and the word is that they are a wee team with a couple of wealthy backers behind them. Average attendance of c 1500 even with their success - think Gretna on steroids. I think we'll have every chance of beating them but definitely a big step up from our Faeroese chums.

danhibees1875
20-07-2018, 05:44 PM

They could say the same. We came 4th, qualified through a technicality and spent the year before in a lower division (and 2 subsequent years). This year was the first time we progressed in Europe since 1990.

hibbytam
20-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Hope we get Aberdeen

I think the draws are set so that can't happen.
Or I'd hope so anyway. Would be a bit of a shame for both clubs, to not get a wee trip away.

(obviously IF hibs and IF Aberdeen both get through)

Speedy
20-07-2018, 05:48 PM
They could say the same. We came 4th, qualified through a technicality and spent the year before in a lower division (and 2 subsequent years). This year was the first time we progressed in Europe since 1990.

We beat Dinaburg about 10 years ago

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 05:49 PM

It was the inter toto cup, if I can remember

Speedy
20-07-2018, 05:50 PM
It was the inter toto cup, if I can remember

Similar stage to the Runavik game, UEFA have just restructured things a bit.

danhibees1875
20-07-2018, 05:50 PM

I wasn't counting intertoto. But yeah, we did. :aok:

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 05:54 PM
I think the draws are set so that can't happen.
Or I'd hope so anyway. Would be a bit of a shame for both clubs, to not get a wee trip away.

(obviously IF hibs and IF Aberdeen both get through)

I think we could get Burnley though.

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Similar stage to the Runavik game, UEFA have just restructured things a bit.

In front of a crowd of 11,731, think it was a Saturday game. Wonder why they don’t play the Europa league qualifiers at the weekend now, crowds would be bigger

Strong squad back then
Hibernian: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Hogg, Jones, Stewart, Scott Brown, Thomson, Killen, Dalglish, Fletcher. Subs: Malkowski, Shields, Glass, Konde, Shiels, Sproule, Konte.

hibeedonald
20-07-2018, 05:56 PM
So is the 3rd qualifying round the final round before group stages?

Billy Whizz
20-07-2018, 05:57 PM
So is the 3rd qualifying round the final round before group stages?

No, there’s a play off round after that, then group stages

hibeedonald
20-07-2018, 06:00 PM

If that's the potential opponents for round 3... then it's hard to imagine how difficult the playoff round would be. I assume this is the same seeded / non seeded structure?

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 06:01 PM
In front of a crowd of 11,731, think it was a Saturday game. Wonder why they don’t play the Europa league qualifiers at the weekend now, crowds would be bigger

Strong squad back then
Hibernian: Simon Brown, Whittaker, Murphy, Hogg, Jones, Stewart, Scott Brown, Thomson, Killen, Dalglish, Fletcher. Subs: Malkowski, Shields, Glass, Konde, Shiels, Sproule, Konte.

8-0 on aggregate as well. 5-0 at home and 0-3 away. I went to Latvia for that game. Absolute hovel of a place we were staying in, it was like a ghost town, the only nightclub in the town was on the top floor of our hotel and thats where the team was staying as well.

It was actually a very good trip apart from the 4 hour bus journey from Riga.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 06:02 PM

To be honest, its very unlikely that we will make the group stages. Thats not negativity, just being realistic.

Iggy Pope
20-07-2018, 06:05 PM
8-0 on aggregate as well. 5-0 at home and 0-3 away. I went to Latvia for that game. Absolute hovel of a place we were staying in, it was like a ghost town, the only nightclub in the town was on the top floor of our hotel and thats where the team was staying as well.

It was actually a very good trip apart from the 4 hour bus journey from Riga.

It was a piece of piss on the train though.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 06:08 PM
It was a piece of piss on the train though.

Baldy Foghorn arranged that trip. :grr:

ian cruise
20-07-2018, 06:23 PM
To be honest, its very unlikely that we will make the group stages. Thats not negativity, just being realistic.

Absolutely agree however I'd still prefer easier drswsyo give us a chance rather than a sevilla or Burnley "money spinner"

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Absolutely agree however I'd still prefer easier drswsyo give us a chance rather than a sevilla or Burnley "money spinner"

Me too, preferably somewhere easy to get to.

jonny
20-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Yeah, the easiest possible draw to give us the best chance of the money spinners in the group stages. We can but hope.

Squealing pig
20-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Can we move 1 of the moneyspinners to murrayfield lol

Pescarese
20-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Yeah, the easiest possible draw to give us the best chance of the money spinners in the group stages. We can but hope.
Hard to say what’s the best draw. Sides that get an easier third round draw will play a seeded team in the final qualifier. Draw a middling seed like Burnley and Hibs could well go into the hat as a seeded team instead. Though there are no easy games, and we’ve still to beat the Greeks.

jonny
20-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Hard to say what’s the best draw. Sides that get an easier third round draw will play a seeded team in the final qualifier. Draw a middling seed like Burnley and Hibs could well go into the hat as a seeded team instead. Though there are no easy games, and we’ve still to beat the Greeks.

Fair point and agreed there are no easy games from here. I just hope we can avoid the bigger clubs at this stage, teams like Sevilla, Feyenord and Zenit would be glamour games but leave us as huge underdogs. It's all about getting the best chance to progress at this stage - what form that takes who knows but I'm looking at 1 round at a time so I'd prefer to be drawn against the weakest possible opposition in the next round (presuming we overcome the huge but doable task of beating the Greeks).

Colr
20-07-2018, 07:52 PM
When are the third round games played?

jonny
20-07-2018, 07:54 PM
When are the third round games played?

9th and 16th August

Colr
20-07-2018, 07:55 PM
9th and 16th August

16th is a possibility for me, then.

Do ST holders get first dibs?

Lancs Harp
20-07-2018, 07:59 PM
All a bit pie in the sky at this stage of course but I'd rather we drew so called easier ties and made it to the group stage. That would be fantastic, how good would that be?

Giving serious thought to driving up and back on thursday.

jonny
20-07-2018, 08:00 PM
16th is a possibility for me, then.

Do ST holders get first dibs?

Yeah, ST holders will receive priority over a general sale.

Paisley Hibby
20-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Cheers for that.... :rolleyes:

SMAXXA
20-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Do you go into the group stages if you win the 3rd qualifying round tie?

Scouse Hibee
20-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Indeed it is, worked in Alkmaar for two weeks in February 1990, great nights out to the Dam.

CropleyWasGod
20-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Do you go into the group stages if you win the 3rd qualifying round tie?There's a play off round first

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
20-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Nope, there's yet another one after that. It's ridiculous.

Keith_M
20-07-2018, 08:36 PM

I would love us to go through and be drawn against Rapid.

hfc rd
20-07-2018, 08:40 PM

No, one more round then the group stages

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 08:40 PM
It just goes to show how difficult things have become to have a good European run these days. I very much doubt that the good Scottish teams would have had the success they did under the present system.

hfc rd
20-07-2018, 08:43 PM
It just goes to show how difficult things have become to have a good European run these days. I very much doubt that the good Scottish teams would have had the success they did under the present system.

It’s the co-efficient. Celtic are the only ones that have done well whereas the likes of Rangers & Hearts have been knocked out by teams from Luxembourg & Malta

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 08:47 PM
It’s the co-efficient. Celtic are the only ones that have done well whereas the likes of Rangers & Hearts have been knocked out by teams from Luxembourg & Malta
I agree, but even allowing for that it’s still almost impossible for a team out with the top leagues to win a European trophy. I remember Dnipro getting to a final recently, but that was unusual. Who were the last team to win a European trophy outside England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France? I would imagine it would be someone like Porto or Ajax.

Lancs Harp
20-07-2018, 08:53 PM
I agree, but even allowing for that it’s still almost impossible for a team out with the top leagues to win a European trophy. I remember Dnipro getting to a final recently, but that was unusual. Who were the last team to win a European trophy outside England, Spain, Germany, Italy or France? I would imagine it would be someone like Porto or Ajax.

Porto were the last team from outside of those countries to win both the Champions League in 2004 and the Europa League in 2011

Booker5time
20-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Them list of teams just show how hard it for a scottish team to qualify for the group stages from the first threw rounds and how important it is for Hibs try to get in europe each season and keep winning rounds to build up our co-efficient points, too get to the stage of becoming seeded.

hfc rd
20-07-2018, 08:56 PM

Porto won it back in 2011. They defeated a fellow Portuguese team in the final - Braga

Other teams to have won some European silverware that are not from those countries in the last 10-15 years or so are the following:

2005 - CSKA Moscow
2008 - Zenit St Petersburg
2009 - Shakhtar Donetsk

The only way we have of getting a good chance of qualifying for European group stages is simply qualifying on a regular basis and winning ties, including knocking out some of the bigger seeded sides

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 08:58 PM
Porto were the last team from outside of those countries to win both the Champions League in 2004 and the Europa League in 2011
I thought it would be something like that, and they’re not exactly minnows. The amount of games that need to be negotiated means smaller teams don’t have the squads to cope with an extended European run. Did Middlesbrough not almost get relegated the year they made the final?

Lancs Harp
20-07-2018, 09:00 PM
From that list of "top" nations, France's record is pretty poor, although you could argue success for PSG is due.

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Porto won it back in 2011. They defeat a fellow Portuguese team in the final - Braga
We really do need to all our teams to start winning ties in Europe to allow us to be seeded. Porto would be on a par with Celtic and Braga are certainly no bigger than hibs or Aberdeen, the difference is that these teams don’t have to start as early as us.

HelmutSchlong
20-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Swiss or Austrian team would be ideal for me, I'll be touring the Alps then. If we get past the Greeks first. :flag:

I concur about getting past the Greeks!

But, my minds racing and I’d happily take Maribor again. From our perspective we are a far better team now than we were back in 2010 but yogi decided to keep 40+ goals on the bench so the tie was blootered by the time we got them at ER. It’s all hypothetical as that was almost a decade ago so tin hat is firmly on

Hopefully if we do get them then the bus drivers got a better satnav!

danhibees1875
20-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Yes, if you win the next round too.

Lancs Harp
20-07-2018, 09:55 PM
I've booked my flights to Baku.:wink:

HelmutSchlong
20-07-2018, 09:58 PM
It’s coming home...

Speedy
20-07-2018, 10:07 PM
We really do need to all our teams to start winning ties in Europe to allow us to be seeded. Porto would be on a par with Celtic and Braga are certainly no bigger than hibs or Aberdeen, the difference is that these teams don’t have to start as early as us.

Not sure about that. The reason we have to start so early is that Scottish teams have been crap over the last 5+ years.

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 10:15 PM
Not sure about that. The reason we have to start so early is that Scottish teams have been crap over the last 5+ years.
Yes but even if they were starting in the group stages, the amount of ties they would need to get though would be a huge stretch on a small squad. How many ties did Aberdeen play to win the cup winners cup in the 80s?

Bostonhibby
20-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Just hope to **** we avoid cove rangers.

I cannae see us filling the forms out properly and I don't think we have anyone who has the credibility to talk their way out of the resultant mess.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
20-07-2018, 11:49 PM
Just hope to **** we avoid cove rangers.

I cannae see us filling the forms out properly and I don't think we have anyone who has the credibility to talk their way out of the resultant mess.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
I’ve been trying not to think about that nightmare scenario. If the giants of world football can’t beat them without resorting to underhand tactics what chance have we got. Cove Rangers have become the division bell between success and failure. It’s the main reason Ronaldo left Madrid.

basehibby
21-07-2018, 04:06 AM

VERY unlikely? I think that's overcooking it. The draw we get thrown might be a big factor but the manager has set group qualification as a target and I applaud that.

ian cruise
21-07-2018, 05:39 AM
VERY unlikely? I think that's overcooking it. The draw we get thrown might be a big factor but the manager has set group qualification as a target and I applaud that.

I think it's fair to say its realistic that we are unlikely to get to group stages but acknowledging that mean we're giving up or we don't try.

All we can hope for are favourable draws and ask the players to give their all and see how far we can go.

Green Man
21-07-2018, 07:33 AM
Yes but even if they were starting in the group stages, the amount of ties they would need to get though would be a huge stretch on a small squad. How many ties did Aberdeen play to win the cup winners cup in the 80s?

There are two big factors which have changed European football since then. The break up of the Soviet Union and Yugoslavia, which resulted in an increase in the number of UEFA member nations having teams entering competitions, and the abolition of the cup winners’ cup, meaning teams who previously entered that going into the Europa League instead. Then more recently the ongoing changes to the Champions League, where almost every stage allows for losing teams to drop into the Europa League.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Group A: Villarreal (ESP), Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR), Astana (KAZ), Slavia Praha (CZE)
Group B: Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Young Boys (SUI), Partizan (SRB), Skënderbeu (ALB)
Group C: Braga (POR), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), Hoffenheim (GER), İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)
Group D: AC Milan (ITA), Austria Wien (AUT), Rijeka (CRO), AEK Athens (GRE)
Group E: Lyon (FRA), Everton (ENG), Atalanta (ITA), Apollon Limassol (CYP)
Group F: København (DEN), Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS), Sheriff (MDA), Zlín (CZE)
Group G: Viktoria Plzeň (CZE), FCSB (ROU), Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR), Lugano (SUI)
Group H: Arsenal (ENG), BATE Borisov (BLR), Köln (GER), Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Group I: Salzburg (AUT), Marseille (FRA), Vitória SC (POR), Konyaspor (TUR)
Group J: Athletic Club (ESP), Hertha Berlin (GER), Zorya (UKR), Östersund (SWE)
Group K: Lazio (ITA), Nice (FRA), Zulte Waregem (BEL), Vitesse (NED)
Group L: Zenit (RUS), Real Sociedad (ESP), Rosenborg (NOR), Vardar (MKD)

Looking at last years group stages, there are a lot of teams in there that are smaller than Hibs with smaller player budgets.
We’ll need a favourable draw but it’s not impossible.

jonny
21-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Group A: Villarreal (ESP), Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR), Astana (KAZ), Slavia Praha (CZE)
Group B: Dynamo Kyiv (UKR), Young Boys (SUI), Partizan (SRB), Skënderbeu (ALB)
Group C: Braga (POR), Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL), Hoffenheim (GER), İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR)
Group D: AC Milan (ITA), Austria Wien (AUT), Rijeka (CRO), AEK Athens (GRE)
Group E: Lyon (FRA), Everton (ENG), Atalanta (ITA), Apollon Limassol (CYP)
Group F: København (DEN), Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS), Sheriff (MDA), Zlín (CZE)
Group G: Viktoria Plzeň (CZE), FCSB (ROU), Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR), Lugano (SUI)
Group H: Arsenal (ENG), BATE Borisov (BLR), Köln (GER), Crvena zvezda (SRB)
Group I: Salzburg (AUT), Marseille (FRA), Vitória SC (POR), Konyaspor (TUR)
Group J: Athletic Club (ESP), Hertha Berlin (GER), Zorya (UKR), Östersund (SWE)
Group K: Lazio (ITA), Nice (FRA), Zulte Waregem (BEL), Vitesse (NED)
Group L: Zenit (RUS), Real Sociedad (ESP), Rosenborg (NOR), Vardar (MKD)

Looking at last years group stages, there are a lot of teams in there that are smaller than Hibs with smaller player budgets.
We’ll need a favourable draw but it’s not impossible.

Certainly a few, a few probably of similar size/stature as well. Totally agree that it's going to be challenging but not impossible.
I'm quietly confident about the next game then it's just one at a time.

mayo hibee
21-07-2018, 08:06 AM
I would guess many of the teams in the groups from poorer leagues were the champions of those leagues though. It's a lot easier to make the group stages if you start off in the Champions League qualifiers, which is a situation that isn't open to Scottish teams other than Celtic at the moment.

(For example Cork City, who lost both legs of their CL qualifier tie to Legia Warsaw, are already in the third round of the Europa qualifiers despite not scoring a goal in Europe yet this season. To reach the same stage we need to beat the Faroe and Greek teams. Even then, they will be in the easier Champions Path of the third round stage, whereas we will be in the more difficult Main Path.)

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 08:07 AM
Certainly a few, a few probably of similar size/stature as well. Totally agree that it's going to be challenging but not impossible.
I'm quietly confident about the next game then it's just one at a time.

Agree. The top seeds in group F, Copenhagen, get smaller crowds than us. Danish football is not run by morons though so they have more tv money but the important thing is they are competing in Europe regularly. We need to be improving our ranking so that we are seeded in future draws.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Agree. The top seeds in group F, Copenhagen, get smaller crowds than us. Danish football is not run by morons though so they have more tv money but the important thing is they are competing in Europe regularly. We need to be improving our ranking so that we are seeded in future draws.

Some of the smaller teams play the summer months

Keith_M
21-07-2018, 08:40 AM

Austrian teams generally do quite well but only one of them (Rapid) have a higher average attendance than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen. The rest have incredibly low crowds for a country with a population bigger than Scotland, so they must have really good TV money.

Here's the figures for 2016-7

1 - Rapid Wien - 21.033
2 - Sturm Graz - 10.53
3 - Austria Wien - 7.922
4 - RB Salzburg - 7.832
5 - SCR Altach - 5.329
6 - SV Ried - 4.103
7 - SKN St. Pölten - 3.735
8 - Wolfsberger AC - 3.708
9 - SV Mattersburg - 3.608
10 - FC Admira Wacker - 2.657

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 08:50 AM
Austrian teams generally do quite well but only one of them (Rapid) have a higher average attendance than Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen. The rest have incredibly low crowds for a country with a population bigger than Scotland, so they must have really good TV money.

Here's the figures for 2016-7

1 - Rapid Wien - 21.033
2 - Sturm Graz - 10.53
3 - Austria Wien - 7.922
4 - RB Salzburg - 7.832
5 - SCR Altach - 5.329
6 - SV Ried - 4.103
7 - SKN St. Pölten - 3.735
8 - Wolfsberger AC - 3.708
9 - SV Mattersburg - 3.608
10 - FC Admira Wacker - 2.657

Austria don’t have the biggest deal. Probably a similar problem to Scotland, near to a big County
Denmark have an astronomical one, for a country their size

hfc rd
21-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Austria don’t have the biggest deal. Probably a similar problem to Scotland, near to a big County

Crazy how the Norwegian league gets pretty much nearly double our league.

mayo hibee
21-07-2018, 08:58 AM
If an increase in TV money is seen as the solution then the way to achieve that is to switch to a summer season and reduce the number of top league teams to 10. Neither of those options have been well received on here however when previously discussed.

patlowe
21-07-2018, 08:59 AM

We've had decades of media, fans, even governing bodies and our two biggest clubs, saying how terrible and unattractive our own game is. It's an open goal for broadcasters to rip us off.

Edit: I may have Hibs goggles on but I do feel there has been a shift in the last year or two and fans, particularly among non-OF clubs, feel more empowered to enjoy and celebrate the many positive and unique things about our game. Let's hope that's reflected in the next TV deal.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Just shows you how much we’re being short changes
Think our new deal would kick in from 2020, so still 2 more years to go

hfc rd
21-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Just shows you how much we’re being short changes
Think our new deal would kick in from 2020, so still 2 more years to go

Any idea what it is or is that still to be negotiated Billy?

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 09:03 AM

Our next tv deal is expected to be around the £50m mark. There is a bit of competition in the tv market just now and for the first time in a long time we are not in a distressed state while negotiating (setanta going bust, Sevco going bust etc).
We also get more viewers for our games than the likes of the Danish league.
It’s not just that Scotland under performs in Europe but also that Hibs massively under performed in Scotland under Petrie. Hopefully now that Leeann is running things we will start to play in Europe every year and start collecting co-efficient points. A club our size with the attendances we are getting should be doing a lot better than we are.
Celtic use European money to take them away from Sevco and the rest of Scottish football. We should be doing the same to make sure we are miles away from Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Any idea what it is or is that still to be negotiated Billy?

Think they are in talks, don’t know anything else

Keith_M
21-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Jeezo, how can Denmark get a deal five time the size of Scotland?

They also share a border with Germany, so it makes it even harder to understand.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 09:16 AM

They also share a border with Germany, so it makes it even harder to understand.

I understand they did not ask Neil Doncaster to negotiate for them.

hfc rd
21-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Our next tv deal is expected to be around the £50m mark. There is a bit of competition in the tv market just now and for the first time in a long time we are not in a distressed state while negotiating (setanta going bust, Sevco going bust etc).
We also get more viewers for our games than the likes of the Danish league.
It’s not just that Scotland under performs in Europe but also that Hibs massively under performed in Scotland under Petrie. Hopefully now that Leeann is running things we will start to play in Europe every year and start collecting co-efficient points. A club our size with the attendances we are getting should be doing a lot better than we are.
Celtic use European money to take them away from Sevco and the rest of Scottish football. We should be doing the same to make sure we are miles away from Motherwell, Kilmarnock etc.

Agree with what you are saying but it will also help if some of the other Scottish clubs don’t get knocked out of Europe earlier on. For example, Aberdeen, Rangers & Hearts who are a similar level to us have been knocked out by teams from Cyprus, Luxembourg & Malta very early in the competition. That’s why our nations co-efficient takes a major hit and we need to play all these preliminary round games to reach the group stages.

Yes we need to start qualifying for Europe regularly but at the same time we need to start winning ties on a regular basis when we do qualify for Europe and that includes knocking out some of the bigger seeded sides that we could potentially meet in the 3rd Qualifying round if we beat Asteras.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Agree with what you are saying but it will also help if some of the other Scottish clubs don’t get knocked out of Europe earlier on. For example, Aberdeen, Rangers & Hearts who are a similar level to us have been knocked out by teams from Cyprus, Luxembourg & Malta very early in the competition. That’s why our nations co-efficient takes a major hit and we need to play all these preliminary round games to reach the group stages.

Yes we need to start qualifying for Europe regularly but at the same time we need to start winning ties on a regular basis when we do qualify for Europe and that includes knocking out some of the bigger seeded sides that we could potentially meet in the 3rd Qualifying round if we beat Asteras.

Agree 100%. We have to start preparing properly for these games.

Ozyhibby
21-07-2018, 09:22 AM

They also don’t share a national broadcaster with Germany.
The BBC raises 10% of its money in Scotland but spends less than 3% here. They pay Gary Linekar more to present Match of the day than they pay Scottish football for tv and radio.

Keith_M
21-07-2018, 09:22 AM
I understand they did not ask Neil Doncaster to negotiate for them.

That must be the reason Ozy

:greengrin

Diclonius
21-07-2018, 09:27 AM
I concur about getting past the Greeks!

But, my minds racing and I’d happily take Maribor again. From our perspective we are a far better team now than we were back in 2010 but yogi decided to keep 40+ goals on the bench so the tie was blootered by the time we got them at ER. It’s all hypothetical as that was almost a decade ago so tin hat is firmly on

Hopefully if we do get them then the bus drivers got a better satnav!

8 years later, I still can't believe Yogi did that. What was he thinking?

Billy Whizz
22-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Is there any info at this stage, if we get to the 3rd round, if we'll be at home or away first?

Hibernian Verse
22-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Is there any info at this stage, if we get to the 3rd round, if we'll be at home or away first?We will know on Monday, Billy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
22-07-2018, 08:00 AM
We will know on Monday, Billy.

I know, just wasn’t sure if seeded teams were guaranteed a home game 2nd

Hibernian Verse
22-07-2018, 08:01 AM
I know, just wasn’t sure if seeded teams were guaranteed an away game 2ndNo I think it works the same as the first two draws. I.e. No one actually knows how they decide home or away haha

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 08:17 AM
1pm tomorrow for the draw. Anyone know when the groupings are announced, when we find out the 5 or 6 teams we can get?

Garymcl
22-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Is it possible if we beat the Greeks to get winners of sheep/Burnley or do they come under the teams from same country situation??

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Is it possible if we beat the Greeks to get winners of sheep/Burnley or do they come under the teams from same country situation??
The draw is done in groups so that no teams in the same country/association can get drawn together. We can’t draw Aberdeen/Burnley (and the Huns can’t draw them either).

Sir David Gray
22-07-2018, 11:39 AM

We can't get Aberdeen because they're Scottish. We could have got Burnley but can't because they're playing Aberdeen.

St Pauli Hibee
22-07-2018, 08:02 PM
1pm tomorrow for the draw. Anyone know when the groupings are announced, when we find out the 5 or 6 teams we can get?

They are usually a couple of hours in advance of main draw.

Personally hoping for AZ Alkmaar or RB Leipzig

davhibby
22-07-2018, 08:13 PM
We can't get Aberdeen because they're Scottish. We could have got Burnley but can't because they're playing Aberdeen.

Likewise we can't get Olympiacos or the losers of the Paok Champions league tie

Famous Fiver
22-07-2018, 08:33 PM
If we do get Maribor I hope the Brazilian boy has retired otherwise I can see it all ending in tears.

He was magnificent at Easter Road.

Future17
22-07-2018, 08:35 PM
If we do get Maribor I hope the Brazilian boy has retired otherwise I can see it all ending in tears.

He was magnificent at Easter Road.

Marcos Tavares. Still going strong for them I'm afraid.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Likewise we can't get Olympiacos or the losers of the Paok Champions league tie

I think the champions path is a different draw although it’s a bit confusing. I think there are two pathways to the group.

Famous Fiver
22-07-2018, 08:43 PM
One of the few times I have applauded an opposition payer off the park.

Tavares was playing a brand of football we could only dream about.

In my opinion, it was the best performance by a visiting player at Easter Road since Altafini of Juventus.

davhibby
22-07-2018, 09:01 PM
I think the champions path is a different draw although it’s a bit confusing. I think there are two pathways to the group.

You're right. I think the Paok tie isn't the champions path in the CL though so they drop into our section

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 09:25 PM
You're right. I think the Paok tie isn't the champions path in the CL though so they drop into our section

Ah ok, the whole thing is very confusing.

22-07-2018, 09:26 PM

http://www.hibs.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=21016&d=1532162972

So we're the poorest league in Europe, well done SFA / SPFL.

I notice the advert at the bottom for Hearts' next venture.

SRHibs
22-07-2018, 09:44 PM
So we're the poorest league in Europe, well done SFA / SPFL.

I notice the advert at the bottom for Hearts' next venture.

No, that’s a rich list. Unless there’s only 18 countries in Europe...?

22-07-2018, 09:57 PM
No, that’s a rich list. Unless there’s only 18 countries in Europe...?

Doh! Of course, silly me. SFA / SPFL are still numpties for getting us such a poor deal though.

SteveHFC
22-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Leipzig in the next round would be good.

SteveHFC
22-07-2018, 09:58 PM
One of the few times I have applauded an opposition payer off the park.

Tavares was playing a brand of football we could only dream about.

In my opinion, it was the best performance by a visiting player at Easter Road since Altafini of Juventus.

I wanted us to sign him after that game at Easter Road.

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Leipzig in the next round would be good.

Aren’t they really good? That’s the last thing we need.

Nevi_SOL
22-07-2018, 10:14 PM
It’s coming home...

First British team in Europe and all that 👍🏼

Pescarese
22-07-2018, 11:05 PM
They are usually a couple of hours in advance of main draw.

Personally hoping for AZ Alkmaar or RB Leipzig

Thanks, mate.

I’d be delighted with Atalanta or Rijeka, a trip to Bergamo or Fiume would be great for me. Winnable ties as well. Leipzig would be a tough one, Alkmaar too. But there’s a Greek side to deal with ahead of any of that.

hfc rd
22-07-2018, 11:46 PM
Apologies if already posted but is the draw being broadcasted live on the UEFA website the same way the 1st & 2nd Qualifying Round draws were?

Ozyhibby
22-07-2018, 11:53 PM
Apologies if already posted but is the draw being broadcasted live on the UEFA website the same way the 1st & 2nd Qualifying Round draws were?

Probably

H18 SFR
23-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Pots have been drawn, we can get...

Sevilla or Upjest
Molde or Lac
Kazakhstan team or Alkmar
Rapid Vienna
Slovenian or Romanian side

HibeeDaz6270
23-07-2018, 08:01 AM
1 Sevilla (ESP) v Újpest (HUN)
2 Molde (NOR) v Laç (ALB)
3 Kairat Almaty (KAZ) v AZ Alkmaar (NED)
4 Rapid Wien (AUT)
5 Rudar Velenje (SVN) v FCSB (ROU)
6 Hibernian (SCO) v Asteras Tripolis (GRE)
7 Hajduk Split (CRO) v Slavia Sofia (BUL)
8 Sigma Olomouc (CZE)
9 Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU) v Vaduz (LIE)
10 Balzan (MLT) v Slovan Bratislava (SVK)

Famous Fiver
23-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Some crackers in there which would guarantee another 240,000 Euros and a full house at Easter Road.

Potential real financial boost.

Meanwhile the 'big' team are attracting 1452 to that football temple, Bayview, in Methil. (By the way have they found the ball yet?)

Good, good days to be a Hibby.

The Sundance Kid
23-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Sorry if already covered but what time is the draw?

Since1875Hibs
23-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Aberdeen / Burnley will play one of

6 Tobol Kostanay (KAZ) v Pyunik (ARM)
7 Dunajská Streda (SVK) v Dinamo Minsk (BLR)
8 St. Gallen (SUI) v Sarpsborg (NOR)
9 Dundalk (IRL) v AEK Larnaca(CYP)
10 Ýstanbul Baþakþehir (TUR)

Hibs / Asteras will play one of

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

Rangers / Osijek will play one of

1 Olympiacos (GRE)
2 Ventspils (LVA) v Bordeaux (FRA)
3 Chikhura Sachkhere (GEO) v Maribor (SVN)
4 Feyenoord (NED)
5 Stjarnan (ISL) v København (DEN)

B.H.F.C
23-07-2018, 08:12 AM
Sevilla would be a great one off tie.

There is a couple ther though which would surely give us a realistic chance to get through though.

Big_Franck
23-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Sorry if already covered but what time is the draw?

The UEFA site is saying it starts at 12:45 central european time, so 11:45 here. There was loads of delays the last time though.

Edit: that's the time for the Champions path. Out draw starts at 1pm.

Big_Franck
23-07-2018, 08:20 AM

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

1 Olympiacos (GRE)
4 Feyenoord (NED)

I'd take Molde out of that list. I'd like a tie against Steaua Bucharest as well though. Always loved their name.

mim
23-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Would like to avoid a trip to Kasakhstan

Austinho
23-07-2018, 08:26 AM

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

So most likely Sevilla, Molde, AZ Alkmaar, Rapid Vienna or Steaua Bucharest. Sevilla would crush us, AZ most likely too, but I wouldn’t be running completely scared of the rest. Would hope for Molde myself.

Rangers look Donald Ducked.

Austinho
23-07-2018, 08:27 AM
Would like to avoid a trip to KasakhstanI’d be delighted with the Kazakhstan team if it meant we avoided some of the others in that draw!

Since90+2
23-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Some potentially brilliant trips there. The only team I'd give us no hope against is Seville , we'd be underdogs against most of the others but I think we'd have a fighting chance.

What dates are the next round fixtures?

St Pauli Hibee
23-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Some potentially brilliant trips there. The only team I'd give us no hope against is Seville , we'd be underdogs against most of the others but I think we'd have a fighting chance.

What dates are the next round fixtures?

Thursdays 9th & 16th August

Would guess at home 1st Leg due to being unseeded team

Souter96Mac
23-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Aberdeen have a great chance if they manage to get past Burnley.

scooby
23-07-2018, 08:46 AM

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

1 Olympiacos (GRE)
4 Feyenoord (NED)

Our group looks more manageable than the Rangers, we've probably got a fair chance against everyone except Sevilla.
The sheep could do ok if they get past Burnley.
Best scenario is if there's an upset and we get a less fancied team.

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 08:49 AM
Doh! Of course, silly me. SFA / SPFL are still numpties for getting us such a poor deal though.

Don’t disagree with that! Things feel like they’re getting better though, so fingers crossed the next deal is a decent improvement.

jgl07
23-07-2018, 08:52 AM
I would like Sevilla. They have won the thing five times in recent years, once at Hampden Park if I recall correctly.

Guaranteed full house at Easter Road. No chance of progression to the Group Stages but then there never was.

On reflection, Hibs getting to the Group Stages would be a disaster with our squad size. Playing Thursday/Sunday would no go down well with the support either.

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 08:54 AM
I would like Sevilla. They have won the thing five times in recent years, once at Hampden Park if I recall correctly.

Guaranteed full house at Easter Road. No chance of progression to the Group Stages but then there never was.

On reflection, Hibs getting to the Group Stages would be a disaster with our squad size. Playing Thursday/Sunday would no go down well with the support either.

Now that the draw is in front of us there definitely isa chance of progressing. The other 4 teams are tough games but are all winnable, then we are only a single round from the group stages.

If we beat the Greek team then I’m happy whoever we draw tbh.

Since90+2
23-07-2018, 08:55 AM

I think most of those teams would see a full house at ER, Rapid Vienna , Alkmaar and Steau Bucharest I'd imagine and maybe not far off for Molde.

hibee1875
23-07-2018, 09:00 AM

Do you really think the squad would remain the same if we progressed to the group stage? Get past this round and a significant amount is added to the budget, never mind all the way to the group stages.

Its a massive, hu*****us long shot but getting to the group stage would be massive for the clubs finances and will let us attract an even better caliber of player in jan and next summer.

Playing Thursday/Sunday would no go down well with the support either

This is just nonsense.

number9dream
23-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Sevilla could dish out another Malmo style thrashing and I'm not sure I'm over that 7-0 yet...

We're underdogs against Asteras and we would be huge underdogs against any of those seeded sides.

Molde are halfway through their season and cuffed Celtic home and away in the EL a few years back (under Deila).

Looking at the quality of potential opposition, with another round to come, underlines just how hard it is for a Scottish team to get through.

makaveli1875
23-07-2018, 09:05 AM
I think most of those teams would see a full house at ER, Rapid Vienna , Alkmaar and Steau Bucharest I'd imagine and maybe not far off for Molde.

Alkmaar would be a nice little trip , been there once before .. easy to get to and a nice we city

HibeeMassive
23-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Would guess at home 1st Leg due to being unseeded team

Makes no odds if you are seeded or not, just depends on if you are drawn out the bowl first/second

davhibby
23-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Rapid Vienna looks the best draw there. A great trip and a team I'd give us a decent chance against

BullsCloseHibs
23-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Rangers have no chance IF they progress.

bingo70
23-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Rapid Vienna looks the best draw there. A great trip and a team I'd give us a decent chance against

Rapid Vienna would be a terrific draw but i personally can't look past Sevilla.

Of course we would get pumped but we're no going to win the tournament anyway, getting drawn against a team like that would be something else.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Everyone except Seville gives us a fighting chance. Will need signings in. And we need to beat the Greeks.

adhibs
23-07-2018, 09:24 AM

I'd be delighted with Thursday/Sunday if it meant we were in the group stage

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 09:26 AM
We don’t want Kazakhstan, would cost the club and the fans a fortune to go

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Rapid Vienna would be a terrific draw but i personally can't look past Sevilla.

Of course we would get pumped but we're no going to win the tournament anyway, getting drawn against a team like that would be something else.

I’d rather we got another round into the competition and banked another £0.5m, the equivalent of two players at the top of our wage structure. Not to mention the ranking point added to our total for next season.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 09:27 AM
We don’t want Kazakhstan, would cost the club and the fans a fortune to go

So long as we get through I don’t really care. It’s all about progress.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 09:29 AM
So long as we get through I don’t really care. It’s all about progress.

I get that, but a trip to there would probably wipe out any money we’d make

Dashing Bob S
23-07-2018, 09:32 AM

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

1 Olympiacos (GRE)
4 Feyenoord (NED)

Practically a bye through to the ground stages

Austinho
23-07-2018, 09:32 AM
We don’t want Kazakhstan, would cost the club and the fans a fortune to goStrange attitude. That tie would give us the best chance of going through, where we would receive another half a million from UEFA, and possibly a glamour tie that the fans can enjoy.

A lot of fans seem to care more about where they get to go on their holidays than the best interests of the club.

bingo70
23-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I’d rather we got another round into the competition and banked another £0.5m, the equivalent of two players at the top of our wage structure. Not to mention the ranking point added to our total for next season.

We'll just need to pump Seville as well then.

Bring the *******s on.......

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Strange attitude. That tie would give us the best chance of going through, where we would receive another half a million from UEFA, and possibly a glamour tie that the fans can enjoy.

A lot of fans seem to care more about where they get to go on their holidays than the best interests of the club.
Ok then?

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 09:35 AM
We'll just need to pump Seville as well then.

Bring the *******s on.......

Is La Liga really that much better than the SPL? If we take 3-4 off them at Easter Road it’ll be fine.

mim
23-07-2018, 09:38 AM
Strange attitude. That tie would give us the best chance of going through, where we would receive another half a million from UEFA, and possibly a glamour tie that the fans can enjoy.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion??
Personally, I haven't got a clue about the current form of any of these sides (although Seville will be good, as always)

SunshineOnLeith
23-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Keirat beat Aberdeen in recent seasons with a squad which cost in excess of £30m, they're probably, apart from Sevilla, the hardest draw we can get.

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Keirat beat Aberdeen in recent seasons with a squad which cost in excess of £30m, they're probably, apart from Sevilla, the hardest draw we can get.

I mean, their squad is Arshavin (who is almost 40), a bunch of South American no-marks, and Kazakh nationals. Not sure what they’ve spent £30 million on.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Molde lost to Glenavon in the last round so I def think they are beatable.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Celtic got AEK if they get through

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 10:15 AM

Has it not been drawn earlier than advertised?

GloryGlory
23-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Has it not been drawn earlier than advertised?

CET +1 hour?

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2018, 10:18 AM
I went to the Kairat game at Pitoddrie. They are a bunch of cheating, time wasting *******s. Best player was Tymoschuk at that time, and their no.10 (biggest cheating *******) was a good player. The rest of them were bang average and the Dons were unlucky.

CapitalGreen
23-07-2018, 10:20 AM
I mean, their squad is Arshavin (who is almost 40), a bunch of South American no-marks, and Kazakh nationals. Not sure what they’ve spent £30 million on.

Average S. American no-mark > Average Scottish no-mark

Hibernian Verse
Has it not been drawn earlier than advertised?That's their champions league draw rather than the champions route of the Europa league.

Billy Whizz
CET +1 hour?

Is draw still around 1pm U.K. time

Speedy
23-07-2018, 10:59 AM
4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

My take on it:

1 - Glamour tie but absolutely no chance. Would rather avoid and hope the glamour ties come at a later stage

2 - Best chance of getting through, would be a decent draw but would be unseeded in the play off round

3 - Would likely be seeded in the play off but unlikely to beat Alkmaar in what would be a bit of a glamour tie. Kairat seem decent as well though so maybe a chance of them causing an upset then us causing an upset against them

4 - Tough game, unseeded in play off round but easy enough to get to for those fancying a trip. Personally would want to avoid them

5 - Similar to #3 but with Bucharest not quite the same level as Alkmaar. Chance of being seeded in the playoff.

All things considered I hope we draw #5.

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Average S. American no-mark > Average Scottish no-mark

Maybe, but I think we have pretty high quality Scottish players.

Nevi_SOL
23-07-2018, 11:04 AM
4 Rapid Wien (AUT)

My take on it:

1 - Glamour tie but absolutely no chance. Would rather avoid and hope the glamour ties come at a later stage

2 - Best chance of getting through, would be a decent draw but would be unseeded in the play off round

3 - Would likely be seeded in the play off but unlikely to beat Alkmaar in what would be a bit of a glamour tie. Kairat seem decent as well though so maybe a chance of them causing an upset then us causing an upset against them

4 - Tough game, unseeded in play off round but easy enough to get to for those fancying a trip. Personally would want to avoid them

5 - Similar to #3 but with Bucharest not quite the same level as Alkmaar. Chance of being seeded in the playoff.

All things considered I hope we draw #5.

I’d agree with all that #5 is my preferred draw to progress but wouldn’t be too upset with AZ

PatHead
23-07-2018, 11:06 AM
What time is the draw and does anyone have a link?

TheGreenMan
23-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Think its on now

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 11:13 AM
What time is the draw and does anyone have a link?

I’m sure it’s from 1pm for us?

TheGreenMan
23-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Think its on now

Yip its on now :flag:

lord bunberry
23-07-2018, 11:16 AM
Champions path up first.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 11:17 AM
Yip its on now :flag:

Think it’s the Champions path that’s on now

jonny
23-07-2018, 11:17 AM
One draw at a time for me. I think the best chance of us getting through is to play either Molde or Lac (if we beat Tripolis) so that's who I'll be hoping for.

Since90+2
23-07-2018, 11:21 AM
Are we guaranteed to be at home first as the unseeded team?

marinello59
23-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Are we guaranteed to be at home first as the unseeded team?

No.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Celtic get Cork if their knocked out the CL by Rosenburg

Jamesie
23-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Anyone found a link to the draw? Can't see it on the website or app...

lord bunberry
23-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Celtic get Cork if their knocked out the CL by Rosenburg

I don’t think that’s been drawn yet mate.

Jamesie
23-07-2018, 11:25 AM

Was done at about 11:45 this morning I think mate

poulton hibs
23-07-2018, 11:26 AM
According to UEFA website, draw is 1400 so 1300 UK.

makaveli1875
23-07-2018, 11:26 AM

it has

Champions pathLudogorets Razgrad (BUL)/Vidi (HUN) v Zrinjski (BIH)/Valletta (MLT)
Legia Warszawa (POL)/Spartak Trnava (SVK) v F91 Dudelange (LUX)/Drita (KOS)
Sutjeska (MNE)/Alashkert (ARM) v CFR Cluj (ROU) v Malmö (SWE)
Olimpija Ljubljana (SVN) v Crusaders (NIR) v BATE Borisov (BLR)/HJK Helsinki (FIN)
Shkëndija (MKD)/Sheriff (MDA) v FC Santa Coloma (AND)/Valur Reykjavík (ISL)
Cork City (IRL) v Celtic (SCO)/Rosenborg (NOR)
Spartaks Jūrmala (LVA)/La Fiorita (SMR) v Crvena zvezda (SRB)/Sūduva (LTU)
The New Saints (WAL)/Lincoln Red Imps (GIB) v Astana (KAZ)/Midtjylland (DEN)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)/Hapoel Beer-Sheva (ISR) v APOEL (CYP)/Flora Tallinn (EST)
Torpedo Kutaisi (GEO)/Víkingur (FRO) v Kukës (ALB)/Qarabağ (AZE)

lord bunberry
23-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Was done at about 11:45 this morning I think mate

It must be a replay that’s on now then. I thought I was watching live.

PatHead
Think its on now

Thanks

Souter96Mac
If Celtic win, they get Aek, if they lose they drop down into the Europa and play Cork.

Jamesie
23-07-2018, 11:29 AM
It must be a replay that’s on now then. I thought I was watching live.

Thanks-yes I got caught out with that replay too! Have mow found the live link but all I'm getting is a picture of the trophy:

PatHead
23-07-2018, 11:29 AM
I’m sure it’s from 1pm for us?

Thanks

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 11:32 AM

It has😜

lord bunberry
23-07-2018, 11:33 AM
It has😜

I know that now :greengrin

23-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Our group is:

Group 3 (seeded teams in bold)

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)
8 Sigma Olomouc (CZE)

lord bunberry
23-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks-yes I got caught out with that replay too! Have mow found the live link but all I'm getting is a picture of the trophy:

Cheers I’ve got that one on now as well.

BoomtownHibees
23-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Our group is:

Group 3

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)
8 Sigma Olomouc (CZE)

Yeah the top 5 will be the seeded teams so that’s who we would face

JohnM1875
23-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Our group is:

Group 3

4 Rapid Wien (AUT)
8 Sigma Olomouc (CZE)

Offt, really isn't an easy game there at all.

cabbageandribs1875
23-07-2018, 11:38 AM
i really hope we avoid Sevilla so early in the competition, i've got us and them marked down for the Final

23-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Yeah the top 5 will be the seeded teams so that’s who we would face

Correct, I have tweaked my previous post.

Billy Whizz
23-07-2018, 11:40 AM
If we’re drawn away 1st, won’t give us many time to sort out travel plans
I’m bargaining on us getting through, as I’m not going to Greece😄

Lendo
23-07-2018, 11:42 AM

If The Rangers get Olympiacos you could potentially get both sets of fans in Athens in the same week. I imagine there would be a bit of an overlap with fans.

St Pauli Hibee
23-07-2018, 11:43 AM
In terms of a Trip

Anything but Kairat is pretty good

In terms of football

Rapid Vienna, Rudar Velenje or Steaua Bucharest. I genuinely think we could turn all 3 of these teams over. Would have to play well mind you but its doable

Avoid Sevilla please !!

Diclonius
23-07-2018, 11:44 AM
We'd get wrecked by Sevilla. Would hopefully give any of the others a game, if we've been sufficiently strengthened by then.

PatHead
23-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Can't believe Sevilla have to qualify with their recent record in Europe.

Would have thought they would have a great co-efficient.

GloryGlory
23-07-2018, 11:45 AM
If The Rangers get Olympiacos you could potentially get both sets of fans in Athens in the same week. I imagine there would be a bit of an overlap with fans.

I would imagine if that happened UEFA would change the legs of one of the ties around.

Since90+2
23-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Would they not just switch one of the ties to avoid that scenario?

hibee1875
23-07-2018, 11:46 AM

I think its due to them finishing 7th in the league last year.

CapitalGreen
23-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Your club coefficient determines your seeding, your national coefficient determines what round you enter the competition depending on method of entry.

St Pauli Hibee

Funny you say that, looking on wikipedia they have the best co-efficient of any team in the tournament with 113.000, 20.000 ahead of their nearest challenger in Arsenal who are straight through into the Group Stages :confused:

SunshineOnLeith

Your coefficient doesn't affect what round you enter at, just how you're treated in the draw.

They have the highest coefficient in the competition by an absolute mile.

JohnM1875
23-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Such a good point actually! Forgot about that.

Just checked and they've won the Uefa cup/Europa League five times since 2006! Mental.

Hibernian Verse
23-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Such a good point actually! Forgot about that.

Just checked and they've won the Uefa cup/Europa League five times since 2006! Mental.

That's almost as good as Hearts' special relationship with the Champions League

Big_Franck
23-07-2018, 11:50 AM

They do, but it's because of they finished 7th in La Liga that they go in at this stage. If Man City had finished 7th (where Burnley finished) they'd be in at this stage as well.

Springbank
23-07-2018, 11:51 AM
That's almost as good as Hearts' special relationship with the Champions League

Or the Betfred Cup, which they have won* loads of times since 1962

*sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant "haven't won"

PatHead
23-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Your coefficient doesn't affect what round you enter at, just how you're treated in the draw.

They have the highest coefficient in the competition by an absolute mile.

Think it is a bit ridiculous though. I would be a bit miffed if I supported them.

Wonder how many supporters of the other teams are looking at us and thinking, hope we get them in the draw.

Fergus52
23-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Aalkmar or bucharest would be ideal as both ties are winnable, with a bit of luck, and both have a high enough co-efficient so that we would then be seeded for the play-off round.

Drawing either of those teams is probably our best feasible chance of making the group stages, as I don't fancy going into the play-off round unseeded.

Rapid Vienne or Molde could potentially be a slightly easier game, but would leave us unseeded if we progressed to the play-offs.

jonny
23-07-2018, 11:57 AM
The 5 minute count down has started to the draw. What an exciting time to be a Hibs fan.

hibsbollah
23-07-2018, 11:57 AM
I've just had a look at Sevillas squad. Just wow. Correa, Banega, Ben Yedder just off the top of my head some of the best players in Europe.

Since90+2
23-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Got a feeling it's going to be Rapid Vienna.

St Pauli Hibee
23-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Countdown is on

40 seconds away

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 12:00 PM
I've just had a look at Sevillas squad. Just wow. Correa, Banega, Ben Yedder just off the top of my head some of the best players in Europe.

Aye, but players like Mercado looked a bit dodgy at the back for Argentina in the WC. Martin Boyle will tear him a new one!

St Pauli Hibee
23-07-2018, 12:01 PM

You forgot N'Zonzi, Navas, Correa and Muriel as well

Leith Green
23-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Take it home or away leg will be established today ?

Big_Franck
23-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Think it is a bit ridiculous though. I would be a bit miffed if I supported them.

Wonder how many supporters of the other teams are looking at us and thinking, hope we get them in the draw.

Think about it in a Scottish context though. If we finished 2nd and Celtic finished 4th, would you think it was right that they skipped a couple of qualifiers and went in to the competition later than us?

SRHibs
23-07-2018, 12:02 PM
You forgot N'Zonzi, Navas, Correa and Muriel as well

Don’t forget Correa!

Bam
23-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Not to mention Jesus Navas!! :eek: hope we avoid them even more now

Big_Franck
23-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Take it home or away leg will be established today ?

Aye. As someone else said though the exact dates are subject to change if for example Celtic are due to play AEK Athens and Sevco get Olympiacos on the same Thursday. You'd think they'd want to keep those animals apart.

jgl07
23-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Aye. As someone else said though the exact dates are subject to change if for example Celtic are due to play AEK Athens and Sevco get Olympiacos on the same Thursday. You'd think they'd want to keep those animals apart.
If Celtic play AEK it will be in the Champions League and not played on a Thursday!

Diclonius
23-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Molde. Decent.

Bam
First out of the pot! Molde

SteveHFC
Molde or Albania in the next round.

Winnable tie.

Hibernian Verse
Superb!

Springbank
23-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Are we actually getting a wee bit spawny, here?

Mon the Hibees!

marinello59
23-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Great draw.

Hibbyradge
Are we actually getting a wee bit spawny, here?

Mon the Hibees!

That's what the fans of Tripolis are thinking.

SirDavidsNapper
Molde will be half way through their season. Very tough.

Frazerbob
23-07-2018, 12:10 PM
£10 pints!

Albanian Hibs
'Mon the Albanian team 😀

Big_Franck

Good point. Focus needs to be on Thursday now.

Fergus52
23-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Definitely one of the easier ties we could have faced, but also means we will definitely be unseeded for the play off round now, so if we get through we will likely have to play besiktas, zenit, olympiakos, fiorentina or a team like that.

Ozyhibby
23-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Fantastic. Still be difficult beating the Greek team but it gives us a chance. Always said the draw will need to be kind but we have a chance.

Leith Green
Home or away first?

bingo70

I'm surprised at the positive reaction to be honest.

Don't know too much about them but we've not exactly done well against teams like that recently.

Will they not be pretty comparable to the likes of Malmo? (realise they're different countries)

Springbank
23-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Imagining our Greek opponents looking in..."Siri, what does Spawny mean, and should I be thinking it" :greengrin

hfc rd
Are we home or away 1st leg? Assuming we beat the Greeks

bingo70
Good point. Focus needs to be on Thursday now.

C'mon man, let the mind wander a bit......

I'd assume the players minds will be focused solely on Thursday.

jgl07
23-07-2018, 12:15 PM

There is a song for them:

Mouldy Old Dough by Lieutenant Pigeon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aO5GWJJP3FM

Fergus52
I'm surprised at the positive reaction to be honest.

Don't know too much about them but we've not exactly done well against teams like that recently.

Will they not be pretty comparable to the likes of Malmo? (realise they're different countries)

I think the standard of football in Sweden is generally a wee bit better than in Norway, might be wrong though.

Ozyhibby
Home leg first

MagicSwirlingShip
23-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Quick glance shows their main dangerman as Erling Håland, son of Alfe-Inge (ex Leeds, Man City) 10 goals so far this season.

Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer their manager too.

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Home leg first

Perfect! I’m off that day anyway.

SirDavidsNapper
23-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Just had a look on Wiki.

16 games into their season and sitting 3rd. They surprisingly lost 2-1 to Glenavon in the last round before destroying them in the return leg ending them as a club in the process.

hfc rd
23-07-2018, 12:17 PM
Quick glance shows their main dangerman as Erling Håland, son of Alfe-Inge (ex Leeds, Man City) 10 goals so far this season.

Ole Gunnar Solsksjaer their manager too.

He’s being scouted by Man Utd.