PDA

View Full Version : That was great to watch

Northernhibee
19-07-2018, 09:21 PM
OK, so our makeshift defence without our two leaders at the back leaked goals. To be expected.

If you're a neutral watching that you may have expected a dead rubber of a match that would end up a 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 sort of tie. You may not have even watched it.

Ten goals, three of them absolute worldies (including one of them from international player Lewis Stevenson :hyper ), both teams being ahead, own goals, fog, all sorts. Fantastic game and one that would make you watch Hibs again, or indeed for the first time if you've just read the report.

Let us not forget that around this time last year we were laughing at Sevco losing 2-0 to Progres. Away tie against an unfamiliar team on a plastic surface. It's perfectly easy to slip up in these ties and we scored our way out of trouble.

We need to be better in Greece but for just now that was a great advert for the club.

worcesterhibby
19-07-2018, 09:25 PM
great attitude, I quite enjoyed it..mainly because I always believed we would score more than them and we will probably never see that defence play together again.

linlithgowhibbie
19-07-2018, 09:25 PM
OK, so our makeshift defence without our two leaders at the back leaked goals. To be expected.

If you're a neutral watching that you may have expected a dead rubber of a match that would end up a 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 sort of tie. You may not have even watched it.

Ten goals, three of them absolute worldies (including one of them from international player Lewis Stevenson :hyper ), both teams being ahead, own goals, fog, all sorts. Fantastic game and one that would make you watch Hibs again, or indeed for the first time if you've just read the report.

Let us not forget that around this time last year we were laughing at Sevco losing 2-0 to Progres. Away tie against an unfamiliar team on a plastic surface. It's perfectly easy to slip up in these ties and we scored our way out of trouble.

We need to be better in Greece but for just now that was a great advert for the club.

I lost the game after an hour. Was watching it on Virgin. Phoned to complain and they said it was a regional problem. They then offered me a days refund which works out at a 30th of £11.99 = about 40pence I told them to stick that offer where the sun don't shine and am awaiting a call back from a supervisor.

jabis
19-07-2018, 09:32 PM
FAF

football as fun.

stantonhibby
19-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Well said !

Stevie Reid
19-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Good man.

SJNB Hibby
19-07-2018, 09:37 PM

I was thinking the same
Great entertainment
Scored a bunch(and how many teams these days
Against weak opposition score 12 goals)
Just put it behind us and assume the team will be much better
Prepared for a better team next week

worcesterhibby
19-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Wee Lewis scores a scorcher and our new "goals from Midfield" signing hits two crackers....lots to be happy about. :thumbsup::flag:

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Your first line “to be expected.” I didn’t expect hibs to lose 4 to a bunch of part timers and I’m sure Lennon didn’t either. I don’t get this attitude that it’s all funny and great. That was an utter shambles of a performance.

We’ll have to improve miles for Greece. This is a part time side from the Faroe Islands... The ****ing Faroes Islands, let that sink in.

Mallan was the only bright spark in that team, agree about his goals they were just brilliant so that’s a positive.

B.H.F.C
19-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Your first line “to be expected.” I didn’t expect hibs to lose 4 to a bunch of part timers and I’m sure Lennon didn’t either. I don’t get this attitude that it’s all funny and great. That was an utter shambles of a performance.

We’ll have to improve miles for Greece. This is a part time side from the Faroe Islands... The ****ing Faroes Islands, let that sink in.

Mallan was the only bright spark in that team, agree about his goals they were just brilliant so that’s a positive.

Agree about the defence. For all that we are talking about it being makeshift, it was two players who have a lot of international caps, have played in the champions league and one of our top prospects. So I didn’t expect to lose goals like we did after seeing the game last week. Was a shambles.

Bartley in front of them was even worse for me. Think his days might be numbered if we get moving in the transfer market. Don’t think he fits in any more.

jabis
19-07-2018, 09:55 PM

Yeah yeah,we get your drift,......some of us enjoy football,we won,we are in the next round,we need to improve.

Whittaker was great by the way.:aok:

Northernhibee
19-07-2018, 09:56 PM

The Faroe Islands, who our national team drew with in our last competitive game between each nation IIRC.

I get the feeling you'd have been happier if we just sat in and drew 0-0. That had goals all over the place and we're through to the next round, even though we were missing the calming influence of Paul Hanlon and the leadership of McGregor at the back. Defensively not good but I don't really care. If I didn't follow Scottish football and I got the idea that I'd be watching a load of goals (seventeen goals in our last three competitive appearances) I'd want to watch them more.

Wakeyhibee
19-07-2018, 10:03 PM
It may have been a poor performance and yes we got lucky to draw Runavik when there's a lot trickier ties out there. But just remember our national side twice nearly became croppers out there.

I don't think we'll play that bad again, or that set up in personnel. I'm firmly with the OP, potential banana skin ties and we scored 12 goals. We will have to improve but I'd be more worried if we'd scraped through on away goals. Bring on next Thursday :)

Borderhibbie76
19-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Agree about the defence. For all that we are talking about it being makeshift, it was two players who have a lot of international caps, have played in the champions league and one of our top prospects. So I didn’t expect to lose goals like we did after seeing the game last week. Was a shambles.

Bartley in front of them was even worse for me. Think his days might be numbered if we get moving in the transfer market. Don’t think he fits in any more.Agree 're Bartley he's been poor for a while now and was awful tonight...limited player who is no longer good enough for where we want to go...think he will be moved on by close of window

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yonder1875
19-07-2018, 10:05 PM
They’re probably on par with some of the junior sides in Scotland. Seem to recall Hearts scraping past Auchenleck Talbot a few years ago?

It should have been 10-1 in the first game and we scored another 6 tonight and lost a few from terrible defending. Wouldn’t look into this performance too much.

We’ll be a different side next Thursday with DM, PH and MB back playing.

Northernhibee
19-07-2018, 10:07 PM
Let's not forget - Hearts got pumped out of Europe by a team from Malta, Rangers from Lichtienstein. Both probably at a similar level to the team we were playing.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to play an unfamiliar team on an unfamiliar pitch in an unfamiliar country.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 10:08 PM
Yeah yeah,we get your drift,......some of us enjoy football,we won,we are in the next round,we need to improve.

Whittaker was great by the way.:aok:

I enjoy it as well, just pointing out real facts that’s all.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
19-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Follow the Hibs for Thrills and Spills! :greengrin

jacomo
19-07-2018, 10:12 PM
Follow the Hibs for Thrills and Spills! :greengrin

:agree:

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 10:13 PM
The Faroe Islands, who our national team drew with in our last competitive game between each nation IIRC.

I get the feeling you'd have been happier if we just sat in and drew 0-0. That had goals all over the place and we're through to the next round, even though we were missing the calming influence of Paul Hanlon and the leadership of McGregor at the back. Defensively not good but I don't really care. If I didn't follow Scottish football and I got the idea that I'd be watching a load of goals (seventeen goals in our last three competitive appearances) I'd want to watch them more.

Yeah and it’s still talked about as one of Scotland’s worst ever results is it not? I’d rather not watch a boring 0-0 but I’d like my team to actually defend.

If it’s goals and a game of football like that you want fire up the Corn Exchange any day during the week and watch the 7 aside games. That’s what this was like watching.

How do you think Lennon will see it? I can bet he’s thinking the same as me and a few others. That wasn’t a professional performance and the good thing now is it will be a huge wake up call for when we play the Greek team.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 10:14 PM

Bartley in front of them was even worse for me. Think his days might be numbered if we get moving in the transfer market. Don’t think he fits in any more.

Bartley looked lost out there big time. No idea what was wrong with him.

brianmc
19-07-2018, 10:21 PM
I don't get why people are using the national team as some kind of benchmark for Hibs.?

Our national team have been abject failures for years - so what exactly are people trying to prove by saying "it's not that long ago the Faroes gave Scotland a right tough game"?
So what??

That performance from us tonight was way, way below what I'd expect from a hibs team (and no, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about where we are in the grand pecking order of European football).

It simply wasn't good enough.

The laughing/joking attitude towards losing 5 goals against such a poor quality of opponent probably goes a long way towards explaining why Scottish Club and National teams are such failures.

Northernhibee
19-07-2018, 10:27 PM
I don't get why people are using the national team as some kind of benchmark for Hibs.?

Our national team have been abject failures for years - so what exactly are people trying to prove by saying "it's not that long ago the Faroes gave Scotland a right tough game"?
So what??

That performance from us tonight was way, way below what I'd expect from a hibs team (and no, I don't have any delusions of grandeur about where we are in the grand pecking order of European football).

The laughing/joking attitude towards losing 5 goals against such a poor quality of opponent probably goes a long way towards explaining why Scottish Club and National teams are such failures.

We're through, aren't we?

I'm aware we need to improve big time at the back for the Greek game but we've scored twelve in European competition this season so far. No matter who the opponent is, that's great. Goals from midfield, up front, the defenders, from set pieces, from open play - brilliant.

Defending wasn't good at all but we were missing two vital players there.

But that's apparently a "failure".

Lighten up.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 10:35 PM

So what??

Best post I’ve read all night.

Stevie Reid
19-07-2018, 10:40 PM
I remember when we were strolling the Championship under Lennon, quite a few posters were (unjustifiably, IMO) slating him for being too cautious, even going as far as saying that the football was "eye bleedingly awful".

Now we've strolled a Europa League tie 12-5 on aggregate, it "simply isn't good enough".

I'm glad I've never inhabited either of those worlds.

O'Rourke3
19-07-2018, 10:40 PM
Happy about losing 4? Never. Think the team is ready? Nope. Moaning about it, speculating on what is and isn't good enough? Nope. There's a team in place to deal with that. That team can see everything we do and are paid to do something about it. Maybe the managers on the board can volunteer their spare time to help with the recruitment negotiations as clearly what's required are opinionated amateurs as the professionals can't do what they expect quickly enough.
Re the OP yip I enjoyed it. At 2-2 it was clearly one of those nights for Hibs and I've seen loads. I think we've scored more in out last 5 competitive games than our neighbours managed all last season. Bring on the Greeks [emoji16]

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-07-2018, 10:42 PM

Well said the feline one.

hibee316
20-07-2018, 06:25 AM

In my opinion, getting worked up about something you have little to no control over is a waste of time.

How I see it;
- We were honking in defence.

- Any time we defend like that we will lose goals.

- it was a great game of football which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I think this opinion is shared by many on here, and I don't in anyway see how that correlates to poor Scottish Club and country performances.

Since90+2
20-07-2018, 06:40 AM
It's not very often teams score 12 goals over two legs in Europe against any level opposition. Let's not forget this is a side who drew with Fulham not that long ago. Wasn't a great performance yesterday with a makeshift defense but let's get things in perspective.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 06:43 AM
In my opinion, getting worked up about something you have little to no control over is a waste of time.

How I see it;
- We were honking in defence.

- Any time we defend like that we will lose goals.

- it was a great game of football which I thoroughly enjoyed!

I think this opinion is shared by many on here, and I don't in anyway see how that correlates to poor Scottish Club and country performances.

I’ve seen that first sentence quite a few times on here recently. People do realise that’s a big part of football, don’t they? It’s exactly what you’re doing when you celebrate a goal, when you cried when Hibs won the cup, when you scream at a referee for a shocking decision or when you go home in a foul mood because Hibs have just lost a derby/cup final or whatever.. it’s kind of how being a football fan is. You’re emotionally (and financially) invested in it whether you have control or not.

The games a bogey if there’s no point in getting worked up about anything surely?

SirDavidsNapper
20-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Great for the neutral but extremely concerning for us. I said it last night but conceding 4 goals to a part time team who are 5th in the Fareo Islands league is as bad as losing 7 to an excellent Malmo . The defending was horrendous. Sorry but that wasn't good enough.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 06:51 AM
Great for the neutral but extremely concerning for us. I said it last night but conceding 4 goals to a part time team who are 5th in the Fareo Islands league is as bad as losing 7 to an excellent Malmo . The defending was horrendous. Sorry but that wasn't good enough.

It can definitely be said that it’s worse defensively to lose 4 against them compared to 7 against Malmo but the overall performance (as poor as it was) and score line last night were definitely not as bad as a 0-7 drubbing.

superfurryhibby
20-07-2018, 07:17 AM
I’ve seen that first sentence quite a few times on here recently. People do realise that’s a big part of football, don’t they? It’s exactly what you’re doing when you celebrate a goal, when you cried when Hibs won the cup, when you scream at a referee for a shocking decision or when you go home in a foul mood because Hibs have just lost a derby/cup final or whatever.. it’s kind of how being a football fan is. You’re emotionally (and financially) invested in it whether you have control or not.

The games a bogey if there’s no point in getting worked up about anything surely?

I agree with most of what you say. However, I tend to compartmentalise my passion for Hibs and I don’t share my views unrelentingly, ignoring points others make and ploughing on with the same unwavering stance regardless.

Aye, it’s a forum, but when you don’t consider others views then surely it just becomes some kind of self indulgent soapbox.

What have we learned from two ties? That the defence is ***** without McGregor and Hanlon, that we can score goals from all over the pitch against a poor side, that Mallan has an eye for a goal......

Scoring 12 is magnificent, losing 5 is terrible. So food for thought. In the meantime lets just keep the faith and I would suggest for the sake of your emotional well being that you develop a bit perspective.

CRAZYHIBBY
20-07-2018, 07:20 AM
The commentary last night was hilarious...some great quotes but my favourite was during the worst of the fog the guy said "that was potentially magnificent play down that wing"

Speedway
20-07-2018, 07:21 AM
Not concerned in the slightest. Smashing fitba!

jacomo
20-07-2018, 07:21 AM

We had a 5 goal lead from the first leg. We were sloppy.

It’s ok. Seen much worse from Scottish teams in Europe in recent years.

ian cruise
20-07-2018, 07:29 AM

You're right, passion and caring about your team is what makes a person a supporter but people can definitely take it too far.

We have to realise that ultimately we have no control over performances and transfers so while we can discuss and debate, disagree and find common ground, there needs to be a level of rationality about it otherwise it turns in to bickering and mass hysteria, making this place no better than other forums that we do so love to mock.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 07:34 AM
We played a defence that will never play together again, They defended poorly, but they will never play together again.

We also had a couple of poor performances in Midfield, with Bartley poor and McGinn. They probably wont play together again.

We got through and scored 12 goals, and new players WILL come in, and the team that took to the pitch last night will never play together again.

And as much as some of you bed wetters dont want to hear it, our season starts for real when we play our first league game.

Until such times as we play in Europe most years, we wont be competing in the Europa League stages until we have a much stronger team than we currently have, as a team who competes at the top end of the SPFL like Aberdeen have with more funds and a better team have struggled to do.

What makes anyone think we can just roll up after 3 seasons in the Championship, 1 season back in the top league, and then you want us to get into the league stages, yet nobody has since Aberdeen did it umpteen years ago?

Moan moan ****in moan, i get it if we were struggling, and a team fighting relegation, but FFS these are the good times, Hibs are in Europe but its crisis time again for the wetters.

They wont be happy until they have something substantial to moan about.

I'm glad we have a management team in place, who go after real targets, quality players who will improve us long term, not give us the boom and bust football some of you lot clearly strive for.

Jim44
20-07-2018, 07:34 AM
Was anyone watching it via the Hibs Retro stream? It was bizarre. When the fog came in, the commentators’ ( one sounded like Michael Stewart) voices lowered and sounded like they were coming from the bathroom, there were screenshots of someone flicking through BT Sports menus and male and female voices laughing and joking in the background. You even heard what sounded like the organisers talking about coverage of the Greek game.

Jim44
20-07-2018, 07:49 AM
We played a defence that will never play together again, They defended poorly, but they will never play together again.

We also had a couple of poor performances in Midfield, with Bartley poor and McGinn. They probably wont play together again.

We got through and scored 12 goals, and new players WILL come in, and the team that took to the pitch last night will never play together again.

And as much as some of you bed wetters dont want to hear it, our season starts for real when we play our first league game.

Until such times as we play in Europe most years, we wont be competing in the Europa League stages until we have a much stronger team than we currently have, as a team who competes at the top end of the SPFL like Aberdeen have with more funds and a better team have struggled to do.

What makes anyone think we can just roll up after 3 seasons in the Championship, 1 season back in the top league, and then you want us to get into the league stages, yet nobody has since Aberdeen did it umpteen years ago?

Moan moan ****in moan, i get it if we were struggling, and a team fighting relegation, but FFS these are the good times, Hibs are in Europe but its crisis time again for the wetters.

I'm glad we have a management team in place, who go after real targets, quality players who will improve us long term, not give us the boom and bust football some of you lot clearly strive for.

I understand your viewpoint and likeminded folk are entitled to adopt that mindset, but it’s a forum where folk let off a wee bit steam and, if that includes negativity and criticism, so what? It p*s*es me off to read the constant references to bed wetting etc. That is just as annoying and irritating to folk of the other viewpoint as their’s is to you. What a boring place this would be if we all adopted a ‘Stepford Wives’ outlook on our club.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 07:55 AM

I await the posters pulling you up for repeating yourself. I’ll not hold my breath though.

I would actually agree with bits of your post about last nights game in that I’m not particularly worried about how it panned out because as you said, a lot of them won’t be playing together again. I do think that the ones that did play though need to take a good look at themselves, mainly the defensive side of the team.

The bit about our season starting in our first league game is rubbish though no matter how many times you say it. It started last week. We’re playing competitive games that come with good financial incentives to win. Will we make the group stages? Probably not and we probably wouldn’t even with the squad that finished last season. If we get through this next round we’ll have had 6 European ties (possibly more) and I would suspect we’ll have earned a fairly substantial wedge of money from doing so. It doesn’t need to be a case of group stages or don’t bother.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Was anyone watching it via the Hibs Retro stream? It was bizarre. When the fog came in, the commentators’ ( one sounded like Michael Stewart) voices lowered and sounded like they were coming from the bathroom, there were screenshots of someone flicking through BT Sports menus and male and female voices laughing and joking in the background. You even heard what sounded like the organisers talking about coverage of the Greek game.

I didn’t really notice that but when the Celtic game came on at half time the commentators sounded like pilots making an announcement on a plane :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 08:00 AM
I understand your viewpoint and likeminded folk are entitled to adopt that mindset, but it’s a forum where folk let off a wee bit steam and, if that includes negativity and criticism, so what? It p*s*es me off to read the constant references to bed wetting etc. That is just as annoying and irritating to folk of the other viewpoint as their’s is to you. What a boring place this would be if we all adopted a ‘Stepford Wives’ outlook on our club.

What else would you call people who completely ignore what is going on at the club, how well they have done, how well they have risen from real depths of despair in being relegated, to winning that cup, promotion and then qualification to Europe through our league position?

We have come such a long way in a short space of time, and all i see is moan moan moan at us not having our team in before a game which we've won easily.

Its as if our management team dont know what they are doing, its as if they are deliberately not signing players just to upset us.

What do those who are pissed off suggest the management team do differently to what they are doing now?

Why are they not bringing in players, just now, why are we hanging about playing games In Europe with a squad clearly good enough to get through this tie with this bunch of players?

banarc7062
20-07-2018, 08:05 AM
I lost the game after an hour. Was watching it on Virgin. Phoned to complain and they said it was a regional problem. They then offered me a days refund which works out at a 30th of £11.99 = about 40pence I told them to stick that offer where the sun don't shine and am awaiting a call back from a supervisor.

Same here. Thought my new subscription was at fault but could not make contact with Virgin :cb

Gatecrasher
20-07-2018, 08:08 AM
I would have liked the performance (the defending in particular) to be a bit more professional, I understand what people are saying regarding the entertainment value and it was! But I expected a bit more from Hibs last night. 2 or 3 years ago I would have agreed with a lot of what's being posted but IMO we should be moving past a lot of this now if we have any ambition going forward. Freak results happen but we let it happen last night and that's what is annoying me. We will need to better next week.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 08:11 AM
What else would you call people who completely ignore what is going on at the club, how well they have done, how well they have risen from real depths of despair in being relegated, to winning that cup, promotion and then qualification to Europe through our league position?

We have come such a long way in a short space of time, and all i see is moan moan moan at us not having our team in before a game which we've won easily.

Its as if our management team dont know what they are doing, its as if they are deliberately not signing players just to upset us.

What do those who are pissed off suggest the management team do differently to what they are doing now?

Why are they not bringing in players, just now, why are we hanging about playing games In Europe with a squad clearly good enough to get through this tie with this bunch of players?

I’m going to presume this is aimed at me and a couple of other so:

Nobody is ignoring how well the club has done the last 4 years. Look through my previous posts if you fancy and you’ll see that, I’ve given the club, NL, LD and the players as a collective and individually plenty of praise. However, how well we’ve done the last few years doesn’t mean that as a fan you can’t crave more, to keep improving, to give Europe a good go, to dream of getting into the group stages.

It’s not moan moan moan, they’re legitimate concerns that people are raising. The success we’ve had previously is now in the past, its not really relevant to concerns about the upcoming season. Just cause you don’t agree with the concerns it doesn’t make them less worthy of discussion as a few posters on here seem to think.

Allant1981
20-07-2018, 08:14 AM

Nobody is ignoring how well the club has done the last 4 years. Look through my previous posts if you fancy and you’ll see that, I’ve given the club, NL, LD and the players as a collective and individually plenty of praise. However, how well we’ve done the last few years doesn’t mean that as a fan you can’t crave more, to keep improving, to give Europe a good go, to dream of getting into the group stages.

It’s not moan moan moan, they’re legitimate concerns that people are raising. Just cause you don’t agree with the concerns it doesn’t make them less worthy of discussion as a few posters on here seem to think.

but when you continually repeat something it kind of loses it's affect?

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 08:16 AM
but when you continually repeat something it kind of loses it's affect?

And when Blackpool Hibs replies to alot of my comments with the same counter points (or even posts it without me posting as he does above) it doesn’t lose its affect? As I said previously, the fact that I constantly get pulled up for it yet BH would suggest it’s not the repetition that people don’t like, it’s the fact that they don’t agree with the opinion. I would point out btw that I have no issue with BHs replies.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 08:17 AM

It’s not moan moan moan, they’re legitimate concerns that people are raising. Just cause you don’t agree with the concerns it doesn’t make them less worthy of discussion.

It is moan moan moan, you are ignoring what we've done and how we've done it. You are ignoring our position and whats actually happening at the club.

What could possibly be the reason Neil Lennon has not brought enough players in for your liking, Why is he waiting for players he's targeted rather than just settling for players further down the pecking order?

Jim44
20-07-2018, 08:18 AM

I agree with you entirely about the folk who moan and complain continually about this and that, but I get annoyed when folk, who react spontaneously and vent their feelings when they don’t like what they were seeing, are jumped upon as some sort of inferior beings. For example last night, I spontaneously commented, when we went two down, that it was a disgrace. Lo and behold some geezer’s jumping down my throat telling me to put on fresh pants and get back to Yam land. Maybe we should meet half roads and become bed clappers or happy wetters. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 08:18 AM
And when Blackpool Hibs replies to alot of my comments with the same counter points (or even posts it without me posting as he does above) it doesn’t lose its affect? As I said previously, the fact that I constantly get pulled up for it yet BH would suggest it’s not the repetition that people don’t like, it’s the fact that they don’t agree with the opinion. I would point out btw that I have no issue with BHs replies.

But you dont have any answers, all you do is moan about things that have not even happened yet, thats not an opinion?

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 08:21 AM
It is moan moan moan, you are ignoring what we've done and how we've done it. You are ignoring our position and whats actually happening at the club.

What could possibly be the reason Neil Lennon has not brought enough players in for your liking, Why is he waiting for players he's targeted rather than just settling for players further down the pecking order?

You’ve literally moaned your tits off for days telling me I’m moaning. How ironic.

I’m not ignoring what’s going on at the club, hence why I have concerns about the squad we have for what’s going to be difficult games coming up.

Like I said previously (considering you keep telling me I’m repeating myself you don’t seem to take this in) I don’t know how things work behind the scenes. I’m not ITK. I don’t know what’s going on with our signings but I do know that our season is underway and I reckon we are a good few players short. I’m allowed to think that and im allowed to post that as much as you seem to hate that fact.

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 08:24 AM
But you dont have any answers, all you do is moan about things that have not even happened yet, thats not an opinion?

Having an opinion on things that could potentially happen is still having an opinion..

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 08:25 AM
You’ve literally moaned your tits off for days telling me I’m moaning. How ironic.

I’m not ignoring what’s going on at the club, hence why I have concerns about the squad we have for what’s going to be difficult games coming up.

Like I said previously (considering you keep telling me I’m repeating myself you don’t seem to take this in) I don’t know how things work behind the scenes. I’m not ITK. I don’t know what’s going on with our signings but I do know that our season is underway and I reckon we are a good few players short. I’m allowed to think that and im allowed to post that as much as you seem to hate that fact.

I'm pissing against the wind.:rolleyes:

calumhibee1
20-07-2018, 08:26 AM
I'm pissing against the wind.:rolleyes:

Likewise. You don’t like people not having the exact same thoughts as you by the looks of things. Forums maybe aren’t the place for you.

SunshineOnLeith
20-07-2018, 08:40 AM
We put more goals past runavik over two legs than anyone else ever has, and they've played some big teams over the years.

Hibs are brilliant.

TRC
20-07-2018, 08:49 AM
I'm thinking the same we had the tie won. Our wingbacks were more like wingingers efe who wandered more than the naked rambler. A player who has always been a suspect defender (imho) at centre back! Also thought we stood off them so there were no bookings or injuries.

PiemanP
20-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Hibs are certainly not dull at the moment! Over 5 goals I make it in 5 of our last 10 games??

6-4 v faroes
6-1 v faroes
6-0 v berwick
5-5 v rangers
5-3 v killie

southern hibby
20-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Thoroughly agree with folk saying it’s a makeshift defence etc etc. Wait till Paul and Daz are back, fair enough comments BUT what if one or both get injured ( God forbid ) and we are left with last nights defence?

GGTTH

Since90+2
20-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Thoroughly agree with folk saying it’s a makeshift defence etc etc. Wait till Paul and Daz are back, fair enough comments BUT what if one or both get injured ( God forbid ) and we are left with last nights defence?

GGTTH

You could say the same about the forwards though as without Kamberi who do we have? Shaw? Like most teams at our level it will make a big difference if you lose 2 or 3 key players.

WestEndHibee
20-07-2018, 10:40 AM
A series of factors lead to that performance, we've not become a terrible team just 7 days after being lauded for such a professional performace?!

- We were already through which meant that this game became about avoiding yellow cards and above all avoiding injury. Job Done.

- We were playing on a plastic pitch unknown to the players. Anyone who has played on a pitch like that after a career on grass knows how awkwardly the ball can play and how easy it is to injure yourself or mistime a tackle which explains a lot of the slightly apprehensive challenges from Hibs.

- The weather was absolutely shocking in the second half and coupled with the above two points made it even more difficult to manage the game.

This wasn't a normal game because we don't start games with a 5 goal advantage. We were able to take liberties to protect our players and taking those lead to what was a fun game! It would've been nice to see us close out the game with a nice 2-0 win but we didn't need to and protecting a lead could've cost us with suspensions or injury.

I've had some horrific times as a Hibs fan, that wasn't one of them. That was fun!

Stevie Reid
20-07-2018, 10:44 AM
A series of factors lead to that performance, we've not become a terrible team just 7 days after being lauded for such a professional performace?!

- We were already through which meant that this game became about avoiding yellow cards and above all avoiding injury. Job Done.

- We were playing on a plastic pitch unknown to the players. Anyone who has played on a pitch like that after a career on grass knows how awkwardly the ball can play and how easy it is to injure yourself or mistime a tackle which explains a lot of the slightly apprehensive challenges from Hibs.

- The weather was absolutely shocking in the second half and coupled with the above two points made it even more difficult to manage the game.

This wasn't a normal game because we don't start games with a 5 goal advantage. We were able to take liberties to protect our players and taking those lead to what was a fun game! It would've been nice to see us close out the game with a nice 2-0 win but we didn't need to and protecting a lead could've cost us with suspensions or injury.

I've had some horrific times as a Hibs fan, that wasn't one of them. That was fun!

Totally agree. How anyone can claim to be embarrassed about a game we won, given some of the torture we've had to endure in our Hibs supporting lifetimes, is beyond me.

Smartie
20-07-2018, 10:50 AM
It was exactly what you'd want in a pre-season game, only in a competitive tie.

What would we have learned from piling in loads of goals and our defence not being tested?

I thought we played some decent stuff going forward so there are positives to build on.

Our defence got a decent test, so we know there's work to be done there.

No, I didn't really enjoy the chaotic defending, but I just love watching this Hibs team play, even if they're a work in progress right now. Not too long ago it was a chore at times watching us, so I'm not going to complain too heavily about scoring some cracking goals and progressing in a European competition.

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 10:56 AM
Totally agree. How anyone can claim to be embarrassed about a game we won, given some of the torture we've had to endure in our Hibs supporting lifetimes, is beyond me.

Absolutely, these are the good times, although some folk seem to enjoy worrying about winning European games.

I have to laugh at folk who are bumping their gums about this player and that player, yet when we were getting rogered by Alloa and the likes, there was always an excuse.

Yet there are no excuses for last nights performance, with a makeshift team already through.

:rolleyes:

Stevie Reid
20-07-2018, 10:57 AM

What would we have learned from piling in loads of goals and our defence not being tested?

I thought we played some decent stuff going forward so there are positives to build on.

No, I didn't really enjoy the chaotic defending, but I just love watching this Hibs team play, even if they're a work in progress right now. Not too long ago it was a chore at times watching us, so I'm not going to complain too heavily about scoring some cracking goals and progressing in a European competition.

Exactly. There are two ways that a club of our size can be successful - either be based around defensive solidity and give little away, and maybe edge out games by the odd goal; or be adventurous, take risks, and try and outscore the opposition; occasionally having a bit of a collapse, but more regularly winning games well and dishing out the odd doing. We definitely do the latter, and I'm all for it.

I can barely think of a game we played last season that we didn't dominate, and the points we dropped were usually down to us not taking chances, and being punished for the risks that we take. Two of our centre halfs probably get further forward than a lot of midfielders in other SPL teams. One of them, Paul Hanlon, can often be found overlapping and sometimes getting to the byeline.

Before we got relegated to the Championship we had many years of stultifying football, which even worse than being utterly soul destroying, wasn't even remotely successful for us. How anyone cannot have enthusiasm for the way we play, and the approach we take to almost any match, home or away, is beyond me. In the context of the pre-Championship years, and how well we are doing on the back of our style of play, it's astonishing.

southern hibby
20-07-2018, 11:53 AM
You could say the same about the forwards though as without Kamberi who do we have? Shaw? Like most teams at our level it will make a big difference if you lose 2 or 3 key players.

Yes it will, point I’m making is these players last night ( except Portoues ) are regular first team players in our defence. We will bring strikers in but will we bring in any defenders?

Our defence like it or not has conceded with the defenders we have at our disposal 3 against Killie, 5 against Rangers, 1 at home and 4 away by a park time team. I’m in no way slaying the team, I’m stating that as good as we have been at scoring we still leak goals.

GGTTH

Gorebridge Hibb
20-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Exactly.... speaking as something who was there last night it was maybe not a defensive masterclass but let’s remember that this was only our second competitive game of the season. Yes we can get better but there will be 5,6 or maybe 7 changes in personnel (in and out) before the season in Scotland starts. Watching Hibs in an absolutely beautiful location, except for the fog, was brilliant. Even better when you’re with your 78 year old Dad just about to celebrate 50 years of watching Hibs in Europe. In case you are wondering I think it was Hamburg away in 1968. We will be better in the next 2 games but we get to watch our wonderful club less frequently in Europe these days so enjoy it when it’s here and carry on supporting to make sure we get to do it all again next season.

ian cruise
20-07-2018, 01:13 PM
Absolutely, these are the good times, although some folk seem to enjoy worrying about winning European games.

I have to laugh at folk who are bumping their gums about this player and that player, yet when we were getting rogered by Alloa and the likes, there was always an excuse.

Yet there are no excuses for last nights performance, with a makeshift team already through.

:rolleyes:

You've just reminded me of the last season in the championship where we had posters saying Lennon layed a boring negative style of football and they'd prefer Stubbs attacking style as its more suited to the top flight!

Can't remember who said it, not have I really any interest in poring over old threads go be honest, but they've certainly got their wish for exciting high scooting games these days....

Iggy Pope
20-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Pestered NL in the airport lounge after the game and he was in good fettle. Extremely happy with all the goals and admitted that they tried one or two things in defence that wouldn't be the norm.
Signed my programme. Love the man to bits.

Keith_M
20-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Scoring twelve goals over two games, even against a part-time team? Always good.

Conceding FIVE goals over two games against said team? Never acceptable.

If that's our back up defence when the domestic season starts, then we're in big trouble. Whittaker is not a defender, so please don't play him there again, ever!

Gorebridge Hibb
20-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Pestered NL in the airport lounge after the game and he was in good fettle. Extremely happy with all the goals and admitted that they tried one or two things in defence that wouldn't be the norm.
Signed my programme. Love the man to bits.

Had a chat with him in the departure lounge. Lovely man, very quiet last night and happy to speak to the fans and had a smile on his face. Efe is an absolute gentleman and was happy to have a blether with my Dad and signing programmes and having his photo taken. We have a great bunch of coaches and players just now unlike another team from across the city......