PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

Squirrel 1875
19-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Well, after the game tonight I think it’s pretty clear he isn’t ready for regular first team football. Completely convinced he will come good and be a big player for us but I think a season on loan will be far more beneficial for him

Aware this is an unpopular opinion. Thoughts?

coco22
19-07-2018, 08:06 PM
He’s not been good but has 2 very experienced CHs next to him who have been worse.

calumhibee1
Well, after the game tonight I think it’s pretty clear he isn’t ready for regular first team football. Completely convinced he will come good and be a big player for us but I think a season on loan will be far more beneficial for him

I think he is ready but I had said previously that if we could get another CB in and a club to cover Ryan’s wages we’d do well to consider a loan for him. He’d benefit hugely from it rather than being on the bench for us.

coco22
Correction...SW is never a centre half

Hulk1875
19-07-2018, 08:08 PM
He’s been injured also put him in with Hanlon and Daz it’s all good, Ambrose and Whittaker bombscare

Squirrel 1875
19-07-2018, 08:09 PM
He’s been injured also put him in with Hanlon and Daz it’s all good, Ambrose and Whittaker bombscare

Whittaker maybe but Ambrose is comfortably a first 11 player. I think Porteous needs regular first team football at lower SPL/championship lev

Big_Franck
19-07-2018, 08:11 PM
This thread is an overreaction. He showed last season, in particular at Ibrox, that he is more than capable of playing in the Premiership. Playing beside Whittaker and Ambrose when he's on one isn't helping him though.

bigwheel
19-07-2018, 08:13 PM
This thread is an overreaction. He showed last season, in particular at Ibrox, that he is more than capable of playing in the Premiership. Playing beside Whittaker and Ambrose when he's on one isn't helping him though.

completely agree - boy playing earlier than probably planned after injury - makes one mistake in a makeshift defence...give him a break - we've seen enough of him to know he is a quality developing player....support them boy - he will be better for this.

IncredibleHibee
19-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Hard to look good when the 2 you’re playing with who are supposed to be experienced pros are absolute bomb scares

Billy Whizz
19-07-2018, 08:15 PM

He’s not ready to play at European level. Been injured, missed training, only played 90 mins at Wick on Sunday, and thrown in tonight
Give the lad a chance

Hulk1875
19-07-2018, 08:16 PM
Whittaker maybe but Ambrose is comfortably a first 11 player. I think Porteous needs regular first team football at lower SPL/championship lev

I know I’ll be honest I’m actually a fan of efe

BullsCloseHibs
19-07-2018, 08:16 PM
I thought he had an SFA related knee injury??

Squirrel 1875
19-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Typical hibs.net reaction when someone says something you don’t agree with. He would benefit from a season playing every week. Fact.

makaveli1875
19-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Crazy thread , he's not been at his best but he's still been better than the 2 clowns he's playing alongside . No way should he be going anywhere on loan we need him .

calumhibee1
19-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Crazy thread , he's not been at his best but he's still been better than the 2 clowns he's playing alongside . No way should he be going anywhere on loan we need him .

I’d only loan him if we could get a back up in to replace him and someone to take on Ryan’s wages. If it wasn’t going to really cause any difference financially I think it would be a good move long term to get Ryan playing every week at top end Championship or bottom end SPL.

Lee Marvin
19-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Think it's clear whittaker, Bartley, efe and bogdan are also not ready for first team football.

Idiotic thread

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 08:39 PM
I think we need to remain calm and draw a line under tonight and keep the boy in the first team squad.The problem with young players is they are inconsistent and unreliable. Porteous however is an outstanding player and will one day go on to Captain HIBS and Scotland. I would have no hesitation in playing the boy again remember his performance at Ibrox. If he makes the same mistakes again yes punt him out on loan to aid his development before the season starts properly but I feel that Lenny sees him as being an integral part of the first team squad though I doubt anyone can say that after tonight’s performance.We need to cut the boy a bit of slack for now and wait and see what develops.

Brightside
19-07-2018, 08:51 PM

Probably right but based on tonight he’d be ahead of Whitts, Bartley, Efe?

Tug Wilson
19-07-2018, 09:01 PM
This thread just shows that you are always one poor game from someone starting a ridiculous thread righting you off completely. Stupid thread.

Smartie
19-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Porteous didn't have a great game tonight but he was far from our worst defender.

Stick him in with Hanlon and/or McGregor and he'd be fine.

Ambrose is the one I don't get. Every now and again he looks all at sea, he looks like the raw youngster that clearly has talent but lacks game intelligence.

Efe actually looks most like he needs the steadying quality of McGregor beside him, because when he doesn't play Efe looks much weaker.

It's mental picking out Porteous for criticism tonight though. That was his first game back, and he's already a few weeks behind everyone else in terms of fitness and is also coming back from injury.

Billy Whizz
19-07-2018, 09:04 PM
This thread just shows that you are always one poor game from someone starting a ridiculous thread righting you off completely. Stupid thread.

Agree, and why pick on him
Collective poor team defensive performance

Nevi_SOL
19-07-2018, 09:18 PM
This is his first game for the first team this season. To say he’s not good enough is mental. Ambrose no good enough either?

worcesterhibby
19-07-2018, 09:22 PM
Thankfully Neil Lennon doesn't judge a player on one performance, on a plastic pitch, when coming back from injury and when playing as part of a cobbled together defence in high winds and thick fog.

The OP obviously does "FACT" (as the OP likes to say)

19-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Porteous has been a stand out in the development team and in time I am confident that he will be a good asset to the first team. But we don't want to do what hearts have done with the likes of Cochrane and be reliant on such a young laddie. He needs to be drip fed into the first team therefore grows in experience but there is less pressure on him.

He seems to have a good attitude about him so if he can keep his feet on the ground, work hard and learn then he has a promising career ahead. The problem so often with youngsters is that when they start to get attention and a sniff of the first team they think they've already made it and start to get overly cocky. Look at the likes of Ross Caldwell (he's certainly not the only one, he was just the first one that came to mind!), broke through into the first team, scored the winner at tin castle then it all seemed to go to his head a bit. His "throwback to when I gave a ****" tweet kind of said he's the type to throw the toys when things don't go his way.

I think this could be an important season for Porteous and I think Lennon will give him a chance when the times are right.

monktonharp
19-07-2018, 11:43 PM
Porteous has been a stand out in the development team and in time I am confident that he will be a good asset to the first team. But we don't want to do what hearts have done with the likes of Cochrane and be reliant on such a young laddie. He needs to be drip fed into the first team therefore grows in experience but there is less pressure on him.

He seems to have a good attitude about him so if he can keep his feet on the ground, work hard and learn then he has a promising career ahead. The problem so often with youngsters is that when they start to get attention and a sniff of the first team they think they've already made it and start to get overly cocky. Look at the likes of Ross Caldwell (he's certainly not the only one, he was just the first one that came to mind!), broke through into the first team, scored the winner at tin castle then it all seemed to go to his head a bit. His "throwback to when I gave a ****" tweet kind of said he's the type to throw the toys when things don't go his way.

I think this could be an important season for Porteous and I think Lennon will give him a chance when the times are right.I think you are right. Although I thought the times we saw him last season I then thought this boy will stroll into a back 3/4 position if reqd. tonight, apparently he had a really shaky time. Nevertheless, he's too good to be farmed out. imho. he was one of the players that won us the youth cup final, and looked then that he was a class above his peers. maybe not SPL level but he has been in a couple of top league games already. keep him in there, he will improve this season.

20-07-2018, 12:01 AM
I think you are right. Although I thought the times we saw him last season I then thought this boy will stroll into a back 3/4 position if reqd. tonight, apparently he had a really shaky time. Nevertheless, he's too good to be farmed out. imho. he was one of the players that won us the youth cup final, and looked then that he was a class above his peers. maybe not SPL level but he has been in a couple of top league games already. keep him in there, he will improve this season.

I agree, don't think another loan move is the best option here. Keep him in and around the team here, let him learn from the likes of McGreagor and Hanlon. He will get his chance to show what he can do and I think Lennon will manage him correctly.

Forza Fred
20-07-2018, 01:02 AM
One game in a new season and the thought is to send him on loan!?

I reckon the same could be said for about six of that team!

Ryan IS developing, and I expect him to be a regular come the latter part of the season.

We need him in the squad this season and need to appropriately blood him.

Not send him away, where he is of no use to us, and hope that when he comes back he is the finished article.....it is not as simplistic as that.

Baader
20-07-2018, 01:43 AM
Seen him play very well against much better opposition than tonight. He is a real prospect. Forget about tonight and move on.

Hermit Crab
20-07-2018, 02:44 AM
Poor Ryan got shafted tonight by the poor performances of his fellow defenders, mainly Ambrose and Whittaker.

500miles
20-07-2018, 05:44 AM
I'm surprised he played last night given his recent injury and the conditions.

Greenworld
20-07-2018, 05:46 AM

Aware this is an unpopular opinion. Thoughts?No player should be judged on that game , it was an experimental line up a training match , giving some players a bit of extra fitness .
Ryan gives us cover across the back 4 so is a good squad player at the moment

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

villahibs
20-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Thought he looked the best defender with the ball at his feet by a country mile. Brought it out from the back well enough but was caught out once or twice as you'd expect in the circumstances.
Honestly.... Can't remember him ever having a poor game. He's been pretty much outstanding every time he's been called upon. To the extent that he actually held us together and led us to a victory at Ibrox early on last season. He's ready, there shouldn't even be a question mark over that.

B.H.F.C
20-07-2018, 07:44 AM
Poor Ryan got shafted tonight by the poor performances of his fellow defenders, mainly Ambrose and Whittaker.

He was equally as bad and just because he’s young it doesn’t excuse him. Letting the ball bounce over his head from a goal kick to let the boy in for the fourth was horrendous.

As long as he learns from it, it’s fine. Porteous’s biggest problem is going to be getting in the team. And the only way he is going to develop is by playing. This is a big season for him.

MyJo
20-07-2018, 08:22 AM
First competitive game of pre-season, still recovering from an injury playing in a back three with Ambrose in full on brain fart mode and Whittaker who has been pretty mince in his natural position never mind as a centre half..........you could have put Paolo Maldini in that situation and he wouldn’t have been able to have a good game.

Very unfair to single Ryan out on that basis, also not worth wetting the bed about us conceding 4 goals given these circumstances and the glorified pre-season friendly the match had become thanks to our result at home.

Carheenlea
20-07-2018, 08:26 AM
He’s not ready to play at European level. Been injured, missed training, only played 90 mins at Wick on Sunday, and thrown in tonight
Give the lad a chance

Well said Billy

blackpoolhibs
20-07-2018, 08:33 AM

I dont believe this place, he's JUST back from injury, playing his first game for the 1st team in a makeshift defence and he's not good enough.

You could have picked any one of 10 players last night and said they were not good enough.

FFS this place is mental.

marinello59
20-07-2018, 09:21 AM
I dont believe this place, he's JUST back from injury, playing his first game for the 1st team in a makeshift defence and he's not good enough.

You could have picked any one of 10 players last night and said they were not good enough.

Well said.

Stokesy's on fire
20-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Porteous is a great player but the entire team played poor last night forget about it and get ready for some Mythos and gyros..and don't forget the shades! We're on our way!

Dalianwanda
20-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Last night was just crazy some of the comments being thrown about.

Smartie
20-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Last night was exactly the kind of thing he needed.

Sometimes if players have it too easy, they don't know how to react when it gets tough.

He didn't have a brilliant game, but it didn't cost us. He can look back on his mistake with the bouncing ball and learn from it.

That was a useful 90 minutes of competitive action as he recovers from injury and gets himself match fit.

More than anything Porteous needs to play games. He needs experience, and last night he got valuable experience of playing in a competitive European tie on a dodgy pitch in poor weather conditions when all the players around him were having a nightmare.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he'll be stronger for that experience.

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Last night was exactly the kind of thing he needed.

Sometimes if players have it too easy, they don't know how to react when it gets tough.

He didn't have a brilliant game, but it didn't cost us. He can look back on his mistake with the bouncing ball and learn from it.

That was a useful 90 minutes of competitive action as he recovers from injury and gets himself match fit.

More than anything Porteous needs to play games. He needs experience, and last night he got valuable experience of playing in a competitive European tie on a dodgy pitch in poor weather conditions when all the players around him were having a nightmare.

If he's as good as we all think he is, he'll be stronger for that experience.
First thing I was told playing at the back was never let the ball bounce and look at me now 60 years old sitting here criticising better players than I ever was on HIBS.net. Brilliant eh! I agree 100 % gie the laddie a break and let us all move on.

:thumbsup: