PDA

View Full Version : Celtic blame everyone else

Monts
18-07-2018, 11:28 AM
Celtic captain Scott Brown blames the rest of Scottish football for Celtics coefficient.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44866243

No mention of Celtic taking the best players of the other teams though, or the values they put on them.

If they were to get anywhere close to the rumoured £30m for Tierney, I guess that makes him more than 15 times better than Mcginn in Celtics eyes.

Jones28
18-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Not for the first time the perceived lack of competition is the problem with Scottish football.

The real problem is of Celtics own making - namely offering sub-standard transfer fees for players in the Scottish leagues and letting them rot in their reserves or punting them out on loan - Scott Allan more recently - and Derek Riordan to name two Hibs ones. In fact I blame Celtic for Riordan not hitting the heights he should have in both club and national football.

Bishop Hibee
18-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Was there a lack of competition when we beat them last season. Celtc, always cheated, never defeated 🙄

Blaster
18-07-2018, 11:46 AM
I think he is correct. Lots of embarrassing results in the early rounds of Europe in the last decade or so. We need to be winning more qualifiers

hibsbollah
18-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Not for the first time the perceived lack of competition is the problem with Scottish football.

The real problem is of Celtics own making - namely offering sub-standard transfer fees for players in the Scottish leagues and letting them rot in their reserves or punting them out on loan - Scott Allan more recently - and Derek Riordan to name two Hibs ones. In fact I blame Celtic for Riordan not hitting the heights he should have in both club and national football.

The biggest problem isn't Celtic offering substandard fees, it's the other clubs accepting them.

Elephant Stone
18-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Did you read any of what he said?

ancient hibee
18-07-2018, 11:51 AM
The biggest problem isn't Celtic offering substandard fees, it's the other clubs accepting them.
Spot on.

Beefster
18-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Yup. Celtc aren’t a charity so it’s up to the other clubs to look after themselves.

Jones28
18-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Did you read any of what he said?

Yes I did. Can understand where the wires are being crossed.

What I meant was that the perception is that our league isn't good or competitive enough for us to compete in Europe.

Whatever the nuances are, it's Celtic blaming the rest of the league rather than addressing their own failings.

Jones28
18-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Very true actually.

Jim44
18-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Spot on.

You’ve got to remember that some clubs are forced into accepting substandard fees because of their perilous financial situation. We are fortunate that, if we believe LD, we are not in that position.

Mikey
I think he is correct. Lots of embarrassing results in the early rounds of Europe in the last decade or so. We need to be winning more qualifiers

Yeah, but there's a reason he's correct. Celtic themselves would help the situation by.....

...Sharing the TV money more fairly

...Paying the proper valuation for players they buy from other Scottish clubs

...Don't buy players from other Scottish clubs if they're not going to play them

BegbieHSC
I speak as someone with a lot of time and respect for Scott Brown. He was a joy to watch in our golden generation, and as a kid I kicked up a fuss to get my dad to pay the extra money to get his name on the back of my shirt. He is well out of line here though, and playing up to the Celtic masses as their excuse whenever they get pumped in Europe.

Celtic are the establishment club of Scotland - Rangers were also before they died.

This is pretty funny, given the past few weeks, Celtic have been sending us lowball offers, trying to ensure that Hibs (and St Mirren) get as little as possible for our best player, with the threat of ‘taking him’ for free next year, if we don’t agree to one of their pathetic offers.

Ironically they have unsettled McGinn to the point we couldn’t actually play him during our Europa League qualifier last week.

The list of players they/Old Rangers unsettled, and taken from us is ridiculous, and has happened for as long as I can remember. I’ll never forget Celtic swooping in, and grabbing Agathe on a free, whilst he was in negotiations.
Broony himself, along with Thomson simultaneously were pretty much tapped up by the Old Firm, and subsequently caused problems till we sold them. Same with many others.

I get the money, Champions League etc, but the way they try and keep their stranglehold on the league is horrific.

When they come knocking, most players can’t resist, and I do get that, but Broony knows himself from his own experience that it’s a bit rich, when they do all they can to keep other teams weak on the cheap, and in our case, in the midst of our European qualifiers.

Their finances compared to everyone else’s means it’s easy to have such a model, and likes of the Record are more than happy to help incidentally. They are entitled to have such a business model, but they can’t complain if we don’t have a settled squad, or finances to replace a player they’ve bought on the cheap to advance in Europe.

After all of this I do love the patter of whenever they get pumped by a Bayern, Barca or lesser teams, they roll out the ‘we can’t compete with their finances.’ Aye, welcome to our world, ya pricks!

But aye, nae bother, Broony, we’ll start pulling our weight 😐

Jones28
18-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Yup. Celtc aren’t a charity so it’s up to the other clubs to look after themselves.

No they aren't a charity, but they do not help the image of the league internationally by taking advantage being complicit in devaluing Scottish players.

The more pressing point I made is I think is that they buy players and don't play them.

blackpoolhibs
18-07-2018, 12:07 PM
They throttle every last penny out of every deal from tv to transfers, they want all the prize money and want to pay sod all in transfers.

They want to be the strongest, by making the ret weaker, and then have the cheek to want more competition.

They know what they are doing, but spout this sheite to their brain dead fans who then believe every word.

The games ****ed, but dont expect the media to question any of this, succulent meat and all that.

Big_Franck
18-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Agreed, but to be doing that our clubs need to get their act together sooner and prepare properly for the European competitions. This 'europe is a bonus, doesn't matter if we get knocked out' attitude isn't helping us at all.

WeeRussell
18-07-2018, 12:09 PM

It is - just like it's up to Celtic to look after themselves in Europe :greengrin

Jim44
18-07-2018, 12:10 PM
Scott Brown is either blinkered or stupid or both.

The_Horde
18-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Almost makes me want Sevco to pip them this year.

Almost. I said almost.

BegbieHSC
18-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Almost. I said almost.

We’ve got more chance than those zombie ****s!

Hibernian Verse
18-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Scott Brown is either blinkered or stupid or both.

Or very smart and playing to the crowd

danhibees1875
18-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Scott Brown should stick to his "dunno" interviews.

WeeRussell
18-07-2018, 12:18 PM

Almost. I said almost.

To be fair, there's only one quote in that article that really rings true with the thread title "Until everyone else starts helping us out..."

Nothing there to improve or worsen my opinion on his horrible, pathetic, sc**my club.

cleanyman
18-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Meh.

He's not far off.

Rangers embarrassed in Luxembourg, Hibs embarrassed by Malmö, Hearts continually thumped along with Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen

We are truly awful. Good to at least see Hibs and Rangers winning a tie and hopefully we all win again in the next round which will be tough.

WeeRussell
18-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Meh.

He's not far off.

Rangers embarrassed in Luxembourg, Hibs embarrassed by Malmö, Hearts continually thumped along with Motherwell, St Johnstone and Aberdeen

We are truly awful. Good to at least see Hibs and Rangers winning a tie and hopefully we all win again in the next round which will be tough.

Not, and never, for me.

BegbieHSC
18-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Not, and never, for me.

Yip. It may be petty, but I can’t envisage any circumstances which would make me want “Rangers” to win.

Steve20
18-07-2018, 12:33 PM
Yip. It may be petty, but I can’t envisage any circumstances which would make me want “Rangers” to win.

Every time they play Hearts definitely. Can’t understand any Hibs fan that would want a Hearts win.

I also don’t get why so many on here are regularly quick to try and defend Celtic.

Blaster
18-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Yeah, but there's a reason he's correct. Celtic themselves would help the situation by.....

...Sharing the TV money more fairly

...Paying the proper valuation for players they buy from other Scottish clubs

...Don't buy players from other Scottish clubs if they're not going to play them

Mikey, Celtic are quite entitled to do what they are doing buying players. Every club does it just to a lesser extent than the bigger clubs.

We had problems replacing players for years but seem to have got our act together eventually.

Some of the teams Scottish clubs have lost to have been embarrassing. That’s nothing to do with Celtic buying the best players. Poor preparation and recruitment has been the real cause

Hibs Class
18-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Not, and never, for me.

Nor me. The sooner the rangers exit Europe and suffer the financial impact of that the better.

Blaster
18-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Agreed, but to be doing that our clubs need to get their act together sooner and prepare properly for the European competitions. This 'europe is a bonus, doesn't matter if we get knocked out' attitude isn't helping us at all.

It’s a viscous circle. We want to improve our (all Scottish teams) record as it benefits us all, but preparation has been poor in previous years

WeeRussell
18-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Every time they play Hearts definitely. Can’t understand any Hibs fan that would want a Hearts win.

I also don’t get why so many on here are regularly quick to try and defend Celtic.

Only in the rare times it helps Hibs out. I never WANT a Hearts win but I wouldn't cheer a Rangers goal against them either.

Hearts are our rivals. Rangers are the ****miest professional sports team on the planet.

In my opinion.

Oh... and I despise Celtic too.

BegbieHSC
18-07-2018, 12:41 PM

I’m not sure - Rangers as a fan base and a club are the total **** of the earth. Shame Scotland wherever they go, and I feel the animosity they show to us as fans is much more extreme than a lot of Hearts fans show. To Huns, we are ‘Fenian *******s’, ‘Taig-light,’ Hivs, junkies etc. The most I hear from a lot of Jambos is ‘The Hobos’, and not as much sectarian pish (albeit we’re hearing a bit more of it as of late from them.) We have to live with them as well.

You’ll see absolutely no defence of Celtic from my earlier post. Several paragraphs lambasting Celtic. I don’t feel there is a credible defence of their attempts to treat this league as their little fiefdom - the establishment club of Scotland, so I can agree with your second point wholeheartedly.

Sammy7nil
18-07-2018, 12:42 PM
Or very smart and playing to the crowd

I will go along with the stupid theory :greengrin:wink:

Deansy
18-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Aw poor Septic, they've never learnt to live with the genuinely neutral referees that the European-games bring - no 'SFA-AID' in Europe !

jacomo
18-07-2018, 01:03 PM

I made the point on the transfer thread that Celtc could have helped our cause in Europe by making a strong offer for SJM nice and early, so we could get on with strengthening our squad.

Jim44
18-07-2018, 01:08 PM
I am willing to bet that, given the choice of winning the league every season because they are consistently too strong for every other team or having to compete with stronger teams at the risk of not winning the league but our coefficient improving, they would choose the former every time. You can’t have your cake and eat it, ya muppets.

Blaster
18-07-2018, 01:09 PM
I made the point on the transfer thread that Celtc could have helped our cause in Europe by making a strong offer for SJM nice and early, so we could get on with strengthening our squad.

Yes they could have. But everyone wants to get players for as little as they can, whether that’s Celtic for Mcginn or us for Mallan / Mclaren or whoever else we are after.

MWHIBBIES
18-07-2018, 01:09 PM
It is in their hands really. If they win every game in the champions league they don't have to qualify because they get in automatically as winners. Should worry about his clubs own pishy performance in Europe before others.

jacomo
18-07-2018, 01:28 PM
Yes they could have. But everyone wants to get players for as little as they can, whether that’s Celtic for Mcginn or us for Mallan / Mclaren or whoever else we are after.

Celtc are not trying to sign a player from the other side of Europe through a third party. Hibs and Celtc talk time each other all the time on a range of issues.

Submitting an opening bid of £1.5m was just taking the p***.

Keith_M
18-07-2018, 01:42 PM
Was there a lack of competition when we beat them last season. Celtc, always cheated, never defeated 🙄

:agree:

1 Win, 2 Draws, 1 Defeat.

In both of those draws, we were a baw hair away from actually winning (only a last minute clearance off the line saved them in the second one)

Seems a reasonable level of competition from Hibs.

NAE NOOKIE
18-07-2018, 03:07 PM
He has a minor point in that Scottish clubs have lost to teams we should have been capable of beating in the early rounds …. Somebody mentioned our Malmo result in this context which is nonsense, yes the score was embarrassing, losing the tie to what was clearly a decent team wasn't.

But when it comes to the main point he is talking out of his arse …. Celtic work hard to ensure they get the lions share of the TV and prize money available in Scotland every year, they ensure that they have a squad of players which is virtually unbeatable over a league campaign, in fact the truth is if you take into account the likes of Ryan Christie, Scott Allan etc who are not even worthy of a place on the bench and are sent out on loan they could field two teams capable of winning the league.

Chuck in the fact that as has been stated many times they weaken the other clubs by snapping up their best talent at every turn with little or no intention of playing them, then what right do they have to complain about a lack of domestic competition or the failure of other Scottish clubs in Europe …. Celtic are not part of the solution, they are part of the problem. Its beyond ironic that, not for the first time, someone connected with Celtic has castigated the rest of Scottish football for 'failing to help them' when they have just made one of the leagues clubs ( IE Hibs ) an offer for Scotland's most promising player ( short of the ones already on their own books ) which was nothing short of insulting.

Celtic can GTF :aok:

neil7908
18-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Fair enough Scott, presumably you'd have understood if we'd refused to sell you to Celtic and made you honour your contract on the salary you'd signed up for?

It's not Celtics fault, they are not a charity as others have pointed out and need to do the best for themselves. The issue I have is when they then come out with stuff like this moaning about something that is directly of their own making.

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-07-2018, 03:16 PM
I wonder why the editor cut out the bit where Brown pointed out that in the mid eighties when Scottish clubs were doing well in Europe, the Old Firm were at their weakest....

snooky
18-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Fair enough Scott, presumably you'd have understood if we'd refused to sell you to Celtic and made you honour your contract on the salary you'd signed up for?

It's not Celtics fault, they are not a charity as others have pointed out and need to do the best for themselves. The issue I have is when they then come out with stuff like this moaning about something that is directly of their own making.

Celtc, a cake-and-eat-it Club.

KeithTheHibby
18-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Maybe Celtic should spend a lot more cash than they do.
They make a serious profit each year yet spend silly little amounts on players and expect to compete?
Easier to blame the other clubs and Scottish football rather than looking at themselves.

CLASS OF 72 -73
18-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Disappointing thing for me is Neil's silence. like all on here are big supporters of Lennon but he would be raging had this been Rangers in negotiations or anyone else other than Celtic . He is very silent and while he does not want to scupper the deal with a rant he should really be more consistent considering Celtic's derisory offers.

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Disappointing thing for me is Neil's silence. like all on here are big supporters of Lennon but he would be raging had this been Rangers in negotiations or anyone else other than Celtic . He is very silent and while he does not want to scupper the deal with a rant he should really be more consistent considering Celtic's derisory offers.

He's got more important things to be getting on with than commenting on what one of our ex-players is saying to the media.

YanYansen
18-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Fannies. **** off, Celtc, ya whining welts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLASS OF 72 -73
18-07-2018, 03:56 PM
He's got more important things to be getting on with than commenting on what one of our ex-players is saying to the media.

My point was generally on Celtic's McGinn approach rather than what Brown said. If you read it correctly

Stevie Reid
18-07-2018, 03:58 PM
My point was generally on Celtic's McGinn approach rather than what Brown said. If you read it correctly

CWG's point, about him having better and more productive things to do, still stands though.

What would be gained from Lennon ranting about Celtic's bid?

CLASS OF 72 -73
18-07-2018, 04:06 PM
CWG's point, about him having better and more productive things to do, still stands though.

What would be gained from Lennon ranting about Celtic's bid?

Missing the point chaps no rant necessary just Neil quiet when Celtic involved.

Moulin Yarns
18-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Missing the point chaps no rant necessary just Neil quiet when Celtic involved.

Has he commented on the Simon Murray situation? Course not. Why would he.

Michael
18-07-2018, 04:14 PM
To compete in Europe we need Summer football. We can't compete with the teams on our calendar due to lack of money in our game. We can't compete with the smaller nations because their teams are mid-season. The league isn't helping itself.

Woodrow
18-07-2018, 04:39 PM
It’s a viscous circle. We want to improve our (all Scottish teams) record as it benefits us all, but preparation has been poor in previous years

Its a sticky subject - a bit like wading through treacle

PatHead
19-07-2018, 09:42 AM

He has said Brown should not be talking about John McGinn. Also Lennon has not talked about players at other clubs. Think you are looking for something that isn’t there.

IGRIGI
19-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Are we getting the credit when they make the Group stages?

jgl07
19-07-2018, 10:07 AM
To compete in Europe we need Summer football. We can't compete with the teams on our calendar due to lack of money in our game. We can't compete with the smaller nations because their teams are mid-season. The league isn't helping itself.

Absolute rubbish. Very few Leagues play through the summer. Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Ireland, Finland. That’s about it. Denmark do not play the summer season. Even Russia have abandoned playing through the summer. Aside from Malmö, I am struggling to think of an elimination for Hibs by a team playing a Summer season. AEK Athens, Dnipro, Brondby, Maribor spring to mind.

Hibs and other Scottish teams can’t compete with teams in Europe because we aren’t good enough.

banarc7062
19-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Totally agree. Why is it they offer crap fee but demand excessive fees for any player sought by other clubs from them. Unless the fee is realistic and agreeable to Hib's tell them to **** off

Hibs Class
19-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Part of the problem is Celtc offers being discussed in the media and unsettling players - that's what often happens between a sub-standard offer and the selling club accepting