PDA

View Full Version : Callum Milne

Speedway
17-07-2018, 07:00 PM
I had no idea his career was as successful as it was.

1 league cup medal

Runners up medals

1 junior cup medal

Yet we released him after 9 years. To avoid awarding a testimonial?

I just remember him as being a radge on the pitch.

Anyone else remember him?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Milne

Captain Trips
17-07-2018, 07:01 PM
Yes remember him well decent player.

bigwheel
17-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Remember him well.....many will...old skool Type of player....never really a first choice. Think he perhaps only had one (or two) seasons where he got really regular game time....went on to have a decent Thistle stint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
17-07-2018, 07:04 PM
Hard as nails, and as young as I was at the time, don't remember him letting us down when he got a game.

Was he mainly backup RB?

stantonhibby
17-07-2018, 07:07 PM
Hard as nails, and as young as I was at the time, don't remember him letting us down when he got a game.

Was he mainly backup RB?

Yep....I seem to remember him playing as a sweeper or defensive mid as well....was a decent player.

madsen5
17-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Yep....I seem to remember him playing as a sweeper or defensive mid as well....was a decent player.

Good hard player , left back,used to
Work beside his wife .

tamig
17-07-2018, 07:12 PM
I had no idea his career was as successful as it was.

1 league cup medal

Runners up medals

1 junior cup medal

Yet we released him after 9 years. To avoid awarding a testimonial?

I just remember him as being a radge on the pitch.

Anyone else remember him?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callum_Milne
How did he get a League Cup medal? I certainly don’t think he was stripped for the final. That clown Beaumont was though. Callum was hard as nails and a tidy player on the ball too. He should have played a lot more games for us.

Scouse Hibee
17-07-2018, 07:17 PM
How did he get a League Cup medal? I certainly don’t think he was stripped for the final. That clown Beaumont was though. Callum was hard as nails and a tidy player on the ball too. He should have played a lot more games for us.

HIBERNIAN:GK1John Burridge (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Burridge)DF2Willie Miller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Miller_(footballer_born_1969))DF3Graham Mitchell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Mitchell_(Scottish_footballer))DF4Gordon Hunter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Hunter_(footballer,_born_1967))DF5Tommy McIntyre (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_McIntyre)MF6Murdo MacLeod (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdo_MacLeod)MF7Mickey Weir (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Weir)MF8Brian Hamilton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hamilton_(footballer))FW9Keith Wright (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Wright_(footballer))FW10Gareth Evans (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Evans_(footballer_born_1967))MF11Pat McGinlay (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_McGinlay)Substitutes:DF12Neil Orr (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Orr)MF14Dave Beaumont (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Beaumont)Manager:Alex Miller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Miller)

No sign of Milne

weecounty hibby
17-07-2018, 07:28 PM
I predict that Spike Mandela will post a reply on this thread at some point soon. If I have heard the story about how he grew up with Callum and played in the same Salvesons teams as him once I've heard it a thousand times. Callum was a decent player and an ok stand in for a number of positions in the team. Best game I remember him playing was Anderlecht away. When I say remember, it is still a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure he played well that night

tamig
17-07-2018, 07:30 PM
I predict that Spike Mandela will post a reply on this thread at some point soon. If I have heard the story about how he grew up with Callum and played in the same Salvesons teams as him once I've heard it a thousand times. Callum was a decent player and an ok stand in for a number of positions in the team. Best game I remember him playing was Anderlecht away. When I say remember, it is still a bit hazy but I'm pretty sure he played well that night
Think it was a hazy night for more than a few of us. Happy days 😀

Fergos
17-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Committed, tough tacking full back, sure he was a total Hibee also.

GGTTH

WoreTheGreen
17-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Think it was a hazy night for more than a few of us. Happy days 😀

Anyone remember cherry beer

O'Rourke3
17-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Loved watching Calum. Used to see him regularly in and about Mid Calder. Think he was managing West Calder Juniors. My favourite Milne moment was after the Houchen debut victory at the piggery and he lept onto the fence keeping the fans in, to celebrate and simply roared . Whole hearted full back never gave less than his best despite not being ball playing artist.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Spike Mandela
17-07-2018, 07:36 PM
Played at school and Salvesen's with Callum. Seen him have his best game in a Hibs jersey in the away leg at Anderlecht.

Col_0762
17-07-2018, 07:39 PM

He played the first two rounds and then got injured.

weecounty hibby
17-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Played at school and Salvesen's with Callum. Seen him have his best game in a Hibs jersey in the away leg at Anderlecht.
😂😂 I wouldn't have got a bet with the bookies on that happening. And no way you can remember Brussels, you were worse than me!! 4 Jupiller please!! Great times.

cabbageandribs1875
17-07-2018, 07:40 PM

not i, but i do remember the Jupiler, in copious amounts :cheers: both Brussels and Liege

Spike Mandela
17-07-2018, 07:42 PM
😂😂 I wouldn't have got a bet with the bookies on that happening. And no way you can remember Brussels, you were worse than me!! 4 Jupiller please!! Great times.

I'm nothing if not predictable.😁

weecounty hibby
17-07-2018, 07:45 PM
not i, but i do remember the Jupiler, in copious amounts :cheers: both Brussels and Liege

We tried to work our way through the beer menu and tried one called Scotch ale. Jet black, thick as treacle and about 12% worst tasting beer ever. Both trips to Belgium were amazing with so many stories of daftness crammed into short spaces of time.

WoreTheGreen
17-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Pub beside the stadium ran out of beer and all they got delivered was cherry beer which the fans help unload the van

weecounty hibby
17-07-2018, 07:48 PM
I'm nothing if not predictable.😁
When I saw the thread title I thought you had maybe started it just so you could tell that ****ing story. Next you'll be telling us about the time when Kano said hello to you in the bogs at the Elizabethan before a Dunfermline game.

Mick O'Rourke
17-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Still puzzled as to why Callum never got more games for the club.

A terrific player.

Where did i see that happen to a player before :greengrin

Managers, eh?
What are they like !

I think JO'R said at the St Patrick's Branch night that he was a guest.
And i paraphrase
"If i was a player who could only play in one position,i might have got more games"

Ok,that may have been "tongue in cheek"

But there are players that can "slot" into various positions.
Callum was like that.
"Versatile/utility player" was the term back then.

Now we call them "bench" players !

I suppose it "horses for courses" now with such big squads,compared to "back in the day"

Sammy7nil
I remember he was thrown a CCS flag after the Anderlecht away game when the players came to see the fans. The Hibs fans booed the flag Callum shrugged and returned the fl ag to his mate .

cabbageandribs1875
We tried to work our way through the beer menu and tried one called Scotch ale. Jet black, thick as treacle and about 12% worst tasting beer ever. Both trips to Belgium were amazing with so many stories of daftness crammed into short spaces of time.

i'm afraid my group didn't even consider mixing drinks :greengrin

Pub beside the stadium ran out of beer and all they got delivered was cherry beer which the fans help unload the van

bless them, did the drink even make it in to the bar :greengrin

Jonnyboy
17-07-2018, 08:00 PM

:agree: He was outstanding that night

weecounty hibby
17-07-2018, 08:04 PM
:agree: He was outstanding that night

Maybe I wasn't as pissed as I thought. On second thoughts, I absolutely was, but I do remember Callum played very will in what was a great team performance that night. If he had played like that more often he would have been difficult to leave out of the team. I often thought that the fact he was a big Hibby worked against him and he got a bit carried away at timed

stevie-bee
17-07-2018, 08:05 PM
I remember he was thrown a CCS flag after the Anderlecht away game when the players came to see the fans. The Hibs fans booed the flag Callum shrugged and returned the fl ag to his mate .

I remember a story going about he used to go out drinking with ccs

Mick O'Rourke
17-07-2018, 08:13 PM

A number of players back then did.( i know at least two)
Particularly those that were born in Edinburgh and may have went to school with some of the casuals.
I dont think they "ran" with them though:duck:
I had more than a few beers with some of the "boys" in the Mid Yoken and Rainbow back then.

I was too scruffy(and old) to be a casual.though.
I did my bit in The Cave back in the day :cb

Jonnyboy
17-07-2018, 08:15 PM
A number of players back then did Particularly those that were born in Edinburgh and may have went to school with some of the casuals I dont think they £ran" with them though
I had more than a few beers with some of the "boys" in the Mid Yoken and Rainbow back then.
I was too scruffy to be a casual.
I did my bit in The Cave back in the day :cb

You and me bothy, Mick :aok:

tamig
17-07-2018, 08:16 PM
He played the first two rounds and then got injured.

Did that earn him a medal though? I was at every game of that cup run. Think the first game was against Stirling Albion at McDiarmid Park. Then two midweek trips to Ayrshire before despatching the hun at Hampden.

Eyrie
17-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Did that earn him a medal though? I was at every game of that cup run. Think the first game was against Stirling Albion at McDiarmid Park. Then two midweek trips to Ayrshire before despatching the hun at Hampden.

I was at every game except Ayr, as I had exams that week.

Hiber-nation
17-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Loved watching Calum. Used to see him regularly in and about Mid Calder. Think he was managing West Calder Juniors. My favourite Milne moment was after the Houchen debut victory at the piggery and he lept onto the fence keeping the fans in, to celebrate and simply roared . Whole hearted full back never gave less than his best despite not being ball playing artist.

Was that not the Archibald 2-1 game? I was standing behind the casuals that day and will never forget him jumping on to the wall, shaking that fence.

Hibby_Huddy
17-07-2018, 08:43 PM
I remember him getting sent off at ibrox for going through Durant not long after his come back from injury. He got a standing ovation from the small band of Hibees for his troubles 🤐

gogsy23
17-07-2018, 08:49 PM
I was fortunate to play amateurs with him and his reading of the game was outstanding. Very underrated and a bit nuts to boot. Great guy and top hibby

O'Rourke3
17-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Was that not the Archibald 2-1 game? I was standing behind the casuals that day and will never forget him jumping on to the wall, shaking that fence.Could have been age doesn't come on its own [emoji23]

Winston Ingram
17-07-2018, 08:58 PM
He was a great player.

I remember playing against him at amateur level when he was in his late 30’s. He gave me a right kicking.😂

RIP Bestie
17-07-2018, 09:52 PM
If you ever bump into the wee man just tell him how good a manager Alex Miller was..... Then run like ****.

Delboy4
17-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Good guy. I used to play against him when I played for Edina Hibs v Salvie.
Met him in Bannatynes ( Livi ) about 7 years ago. Seen him for around 2 years but then I think he moved.

Brilliant stories about Hibs and Miller.

tamig
17-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Was that not the Archibald 2-1 game? I was standing behind the casuals that day and will never forget him jumping on to the wall, shaking that fence.

We never won the game when Houchy scored so could have been the Archiegoal game. What a day that was.

superfurryhibby
17-07-2018, 10:10 PM
Decent defender whose Hibs career was halted by injury, the emergence of a young Willie Miller and a manager who didn’t see eye to eye with him. He’s active in the Hibs former players association.

LustForLeith
17-07-2018, 10:44 PM
I used to pretend to be Callum when I played football in the street.

BILLYHIBS
17-07-2018, 11:07 PM
Remember him as being a small pocket battleship of a left back solid dependable never let us down always gave 100 % while wearing the jersey HIBS through and through hard as nails HIBS career blighted by injury and the emergence of a young Willie Miller who was equally radge but don’t think he shared the same passion as Callum Milne did for the club.

:not worth

BILLYHIBS
17-07-2018, 11:14 PM
He was a great player.

I remember playing against him at amateur level when he was in his late 30’s. He gave me a right kicking.😂
Is that how you lost your leg Winston ? :wink:

The Baldmans Comb
17-07-2018, 11:58 PM
Never forget the day when this 10 year old turned up at the local park looking for a game with us teenagers.

As one of the teams were a man down then we let him play and never saw the ball again as no one could get the ball off him and even at that age he never shirked a tackle.

Didn't quite find the consistency of selection at Hibs but always fondly remembered.

CockneyRebel
18-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Is that how you lost your leg Winston ? :wink:

Probably was but he's still game.

Hillsidehibby
18-07-2018, 09:55 AM
I was at a pre season friendly at Buckie Thistle and he made a lung bursting run for a pass from Alan Sneddon. When Sneddon didn’t pass he shouted “Snodd, you’re a c***!!” right in front of us.

Stevie Reid
18-07-2018, 09:56 AM

Must've been because we lost the game there that was Houchen's debut. And he scored at their end.

ChilliEater
18-07-2018, 11:21 AM
2 Callum Milne memories:

Derby at ER. Medals Mackay lunges into Callum with a studs up, 2 footed challenge. Rather than roll around in pain, Callum jumps on Mackay and punches him around the head 3 or 4 times. Incredibly the ref shows 2 yellows and the game continues.

1st game if the season, 3-3 draw at east End Park. Long diagonal forward from Dunfermline. Callum stretches out his left leg and kills the ball with his big toe. Best first touch I think I'd ever seen.

Smartie
18-07-2018, 11:27 AM
If you ever bump into the wee man just tell him how good a manager Alex Miller was..... Then run like ****.

The funny thing about Miller is that all of the players who seemed to play under him hated him, but they all still seemed to stay and take it from him for ages before moving on.

I don't think I've heard a good word about him from a player.

chinaman
18-07-2018, 11:42 AM
2 Callum Milne memories:

Derby at ER. Medals Mackay lunges into Callum with a studs up, 2 footed challenge. Rather than roll around in pain, Callum jumps on Mackay and punches him around the head 3 or 4 times. Incredibly the ref shows 2 yellows and the game continues.

1st game if the season, 3-3 draw at east End Park. Long diagonal forward from Dunfermline. Callum stretches out his left leg and kills the ball with his big toe. Best first touch I think I'd ever seen.

i remember calum proudly holding the c.c.s flag which had been chucked on pitch after the anderlecht game.
milne could play too

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-07-2018, 11:48 AM

Aye, kriek lambic beer, like drinking alcohol infused Creamola Foam, I had a pint of rhubarb infused cider yesterday which was much the same.

rossevenil
18-07-2018, 12:39 PM
As others have already said tough tackling reliable full back. Used to have a beer in his company back in the day on a Saturday night in Lord Toms on Lothian Road before everyone went their own direction for the rest of the night.

NOLA
18-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Story I heard was he used to “run” with the casuals when he wasn’t playing until lexo gave him an ultimatum - them or us [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk