PDA

View Full Version : Old footage

camthebam
17-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Anyone know where I’m likely to find old Hibs footage? Specifically, I’m looking for James Mckay scoring against Celtic in 1977. Possibly a bit of a long shot but I don’t even know where to start looking. Was speaking to him at the weekend and he’d quite like to see it again.

G B Young
17-07-2018, 04:19 PM
That name didn't ring a bell, but I see he was indeed at the club in 1977, seemingly on some sort of loan from Brora?

You'd be best trying to find out whether the highlights of the game against Celtic were on Sportscene or Scotsport back then. It would depend on what the other fixtures were that day, but I guess there would have been a decent chance the cameras would have been there. Otherwise unlikely there would be any footage of it.

Hiber-nation
17-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Anyone know where I’m likely to find old Hibs footage? Specifically, I’m looking for James Mckay scoring against Celtic in 1977. Possibly a bit of a long shot but I don’t even know where to start looking. Was speaking to him at the weekend and he’d quite like to see it again.

We played in the purple strip and the highlights were definitely on either Scotsport or Sportscene, I remember watching it in the pub. No idea where you'd find it though.

Wakeyhibee
17-07-2018, 05:54 PM

1/10/77 away to Celtic 1-3 I think is the game. If you need it for searches on YouTube etc.

CMurdoch
17-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Some saddo Celtic supporter will have it on an auld VHS tape

norhfc
17-07-2018, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know if that game which was abandoned because of fog at Parkhead has any footage ? Was about the same time, late 70s, sure we where 2 up at the time.

badabing67
17-07-2018, 09:39 PM
If you don't have any luck here you cause always try an email to the bbc off the ball see if they could do anyrhing put some sort of appeal obviously they have a wider audience. Just a though

Good luck anyway

linlithgowhibbie
18-07-2018, 03:56 AM
Does anyone know if that game which was abandoned because of fog at Parkhead has any footage ? Was about the same time, late 70s, sure we where 2 up at the time.

Fog and the unwashed hordes invading the pitch. Fog had lifted within 10 mins. Ended up 1 1 in the replay

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Fog and the unwashed hordes invading the pitch. Fog had lifted within 10 mins. Ended up 1 1 in the replay
Fog game took place 18/10/1975. I remember John Blackley giving the Vickys to the BBC cameras at the end of the game.Crowd invasions from the Celtic supporters were a usual ploy everytime Celtic were getting beat that and trying to intimidate referees and manipulate the SFA to their own ends.The match was abandoned with 7 minutes to go and the fog lifted 15 minutes later. The ref was that old HIBS favourite Bobby Davidson.
I also remember Jim McKay he was an old fashioned rough round the edges centre forward played a few games for us in the late seventies but returned to Brora after failing to make an impression.

therealgavmac
18-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Fog game took place 18/10/1975. I remember John Blackley giving the Vickys to the BBC cameras at the end of the game.Crowd invasions from the Celtic supporters were a usual ploy everytime Celtic were getting beat that and trying to intimidate referees and manipulate the SFA to their own ends.The match was abandoned with 7 minutes to go and the fog lifted 15 minutes later. The ref was that old HIBS favourite Bobby Davidson.
I also remember Jim McKay he was an old fashioned rough round the edges centre forward played a few games for us in the late seventies but returned to Brora after failing to make an impression.

Funny how memory fades things, I was convinced it was the barrel Joe Harper giving the v’s....

green with envy
18-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Hibs wouldn't pay the asking fee of £25,000, he went to Leicester City from memory.

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Hibs wouldn't pay the asking fee of £25,000, he went to Leicester City from memory.
Yip sounds about right Jock Wallace always looking to steal our players round about then! :wink:

A bit like Jack Ross now.

HIBERNIAN-0762
18-07-2018, 10:03 AM
That name didn't ring a bell, but I see he was indeed at the club in 1977, seemingly on some sort of loan from Brora?

We met him in a hotel we were staying in when Hibs played Brora Rangers for their centenary birthday in 1980, seemed a real nice guy and was gutted not to sign for us, also was impressed how many Hibs fans actually lived in Brora.

I remember his goal well and it is correct we played in an all purple strip.

IberianHibernian
18-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Think McKay also scored against an English club ( Blackburn / Newcastle ? ) in a home friendly or Anglo Scottish Cup match .

camthebam
18-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions (and most of all the PM). I found a few newspaper clips too if anyone’s interested;

theonlywayisup
18-07-2018, 06:16 PM

On loan from Brora Rangers! Can you imagine what Hibs.net would be like if that happened today? The summer transfer thread would be horrific reading!!!