PDA

View Full Version : Faroe Islands info

lyonhibs
17-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Owing to a cruel twist of fate, I've actually just got back from a holiday with the in-laws in the Faroes :rolleyes:

What a stunning place in general - didn't get the chance to visit Runavik itself but plenty of other places. For getting a carryout, booze is sold only via dedicated state stores located in certain places (not Runavik) - you can see the list of locations on the left hand side of the below webpage

http://rusan.fo/ (http://rusan.fo/)

Thanks to some judicious duty free purchasing, we didn't actually go out to pubs in the evening but I think beer will be around £5-6 a pint, although a "pint" might be more like a 400ml (or so) glass - that was the case in Norway anyway.

But if anyone is there for long enough to actually do some outdoorsy stuff let me know - and enjoy the trip!

green&left
17-07-2018, 09:17 AM
Owing to a cruel twist of fate, I've actually just got back from a holiday with the in-laws in the Faroes :rolleyes:

What a stunning place in general - didn't get the chance to visit Runavik itself but plenty of other places. For getting a carryout, booze is sold only via dedicated state stores located in certain places (not Runavik) - you can see the list of locations on the left hand side of the below webpage

Thanks to some judicious duty free purchasing, we didn't actually go out to pubs in the evening but I think beer will be around £5-6 a pint, although a "pint" might be more like a 400ml (or so) glass - that was the case in Norway anyway.

But if anyone is there for long enough to actually do some outdoorsy stuff let me know - and enjoy the trip!

Do your general mini-mart/convenience stores sell bevvy? Not after anything super strength, the 2.8% stuff will do for a few, or is lager also only sold through the government offy's?

Billy Whizz
17-07-2018, 09:19 AM
The official charter leaves tonight, anyone from here going on it

IrnBru22
17-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Im on the Thursday 14:10 flight direct from Edinburgh. Who else is on it ?

alihibs1
17-07-2018, 09:31 AM
How many are going? 200-300?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
17-07-2018, 01:26 PM

I am Whizzer. Been a long day already.......

lyonhibs
17-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Do your general mini-mart/convenience stores sell bevvy? Not after anything super strength, the 2.8% stuff will do for a few, or is lager also only sold through the government offy's?

Good question. We went to a couple of decent sized supermarkets and I didn't see anything, but then again I wasn't looking for it either as we had gin coming out of our ears back at our Air B'n'B :greengrin

Albanian Hibs
17-07-2018, 01:35 PM
I am Whizzer. Been a long day already.......

Have a safe flight S and enjoy the Faroes! See you in Athens?? Me and the old man are booked up.

Iggy Pope
17-07-2018, 01:38 PM
Have a safe flight S and enjoy the Faroes! See you in Athens?? Me and the old man are booked up.

I gathered that and I'm still farting about with it. I'll get this week out the way.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2018, 01:41 PM

You going Billy?

Billy Whizz
17-07-2018, 02:28 PM
You going Billy?

Unfortunately not. Waiting on a call for a free trip in case there is a last minute call off🤣
Bag half packed

Hope IP and the rest have a great trip!

Ringothedog
17-07-2018, 03:45 PM
I am

Gorebridge Hibb
17-07-2018, 03:52 PM
I am

Yip, me and my Dad. Getting ready to head to the airport. Looking forward to it.

dp00
17-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Let’s us know if McGinn is on the flight [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gala Foxes
17-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Heading tonight from Manchester via The Dam & Copenhagen, all being well in Faroes tomorrow afternoon

Famous Fiver
17-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Good shout. Interesting to see if he is aboard.

Hermit Crab
17-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I am

Yip, me and my Dad. Getting ready to head to the airport. Looking forward to it.

Heading tonight from Manchester via The Dam & Copenhagen, all being well in Faroes tomorrow afternoon

Canny hide money eh. :greengrin

Iggy Pope
17-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Airport is potted heed!

Billy Whizz
17-07-2018, 06:20 PM
Airport is potted heed!

You back in the Sushi bar?
Thought the flight wasn’t until 11pm

oldbutdim
17-07-2018, 07:59 PM
super J present and correct!

Jonnyboy
17-07-2018, 08:18 PM
super J present and correct!

Enjoy the trip (jealous smiley) :greengrin

Ken
17-07-2018, 08:26 PM
I am

Enjoy B [emoji1303]

MC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenfly
17-07-2018, 09:51 PM

You're right. It's an absolutely stunning place as long as you're not shrouded in fog for several days running which happens. Torshavn and the area around Toftir / Runavik are actually the least impressive. If you've got time get up to North end of Eysturoy and Streymoy, to Tjornuvik, Gjogv, Saksun (as seen in the Specsavers ad - old guy with sheepdog) or to the fantastic North Isles like Kalsoy and Kunoy - highest seacliffs in northern hemisphere - no superlatives impressive enough. Brilliant place and brilliant people ... guess who's jealous of those going?

Up The Bracket
17-07-2018, 11:00 PM
Does anyone know what’s the easiest way to get to Torshavn from the airport? If there’s 3 of us is it cheaper to get a bus or taxi?

Jackh
18-07-2018, 06:26 AM
Walk or helicopter between the islands is cheap apprently. 30 quid

Up The Bracket
18-07-2018, 08:32 AM
Walk or helicopter between the islands is cheap apprently. 30 quid

Might just see if I can rent a spacehopper and bounce about

BullsCloseHibs
18-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Were hibs on a charter?

Hermit Crab
18-07-2018, 11:23 AM
Were hibs on a charter?

Yes, departed last night, some fans paid £550 to travel on it as well.

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2018, 11:25 AM
Were hibs on a charter?

Yes. Atlantic Airways, according to Leeann's Twitter.

Bad Habits
18-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Might just see if I can rent a spacehopper and bounce about

I wouldn't count on walking, Vagar to Torshavn is a 45 min drive!

the bus is the best bet, from memory it was about £10. make sure you check when you land, the last bus finishes before the late flights get in.

me and a friend got caught out by this, however a very helpful airport staff member offered us a lift into Midvagur.

Iggy Pope
18-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know what’s the easiest way to get to Torshavn from the airport? If there’s 3 of us is it cheaper to get a bus or taxi?

Tenner each on the bus. A No 30 . Takes you into the Harbour area. Taxis are pricey.