PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Ladies

Lago
13-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Being plundered by Man Utd women's club, Willie Kirk apparently invoved in the recruitment.

Kenny1875
13-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Who cares

HoboHarry
13-07-2018, 04:12 PM
Who cares
Stupid comment. Any one supports Hibs should care - anything positive about Hibs is a good thing and the ladies team have been very good the last few years......

danhibees1875
Who cares

Plenty people. The ladies game v Munich 2 years ago brought a couple thousand through the gate and the televised games (usually finals) always draw interest on here.

Bishop Hibee
Me. Their success has reflected well in all things Hibernian. Another case of English TV money ruining Scottish football. In this case, the women’s game.

Lago
13-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Who cares
Not you obviously.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Being plundered by Man Utd women's club, Willie Kirk apparently invoved in the recruitment.

The way to stop this is to start paying big wages to our girls.

Maybe we could divert some money we've spent on season tickets towards this? :rolleyes:

Or perhaps we could just let them be self funding, pay the girls from what they earn at the turnstile, sponsorship and from transfer fee's instead of being plundered like this?

WeeRussell
13-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Who cares

Dear dear, someone must have had a rough day at work to come on and reply with that at 5.10pm on a friday.

What a pointless post.

SonOfDavidFrancey
13-07-2018, 04:25 PM
I wondered why Lizzie arnot suddenly upped and left

Malthibby
13-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Who cares

A lot of folk actually, which is why it's a Hibs article on a Hibs fan site.
The women's team has done phenomenally well over a number of years, especially the last two or three and it's a damn shame if it's breaking up at the moment.
I've thoroughly enjoyed watching their progress, & the development of the women's game in general.
Cheap shots don't change any of that.
GG

WeeRussell
13-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Joelle Murray was co-commentating on our game last night with sport sound. Her debut as far as I’m aware?

hfc rd
13-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Both Arnott & Smith recruited by Manchester United women. Two very good players that did really well here. Best of luck to the pair of them

Liam6270
13-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Who cares

😂😂😂

horseflesh
13-07-2018, 09:56 PM
I take it Arnot and Smith will now be full time professionals?
Not sure what sort of wages would be on offer at that level, pretty sure I heard that if you were English and playing in that league then you got a healthy wage but it was capped?

Jones28
13-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Who cares

Trolling for Craik, ignore

Jones28
13-07-2018, 09:58 PM
Does this mean Arnott will secure a Scotland spot?

SirDavidsNapper
13-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Hope we get a good bloody transfer fee

13-07-2018, 10:02 PM
Women's game in Scotland not developed enough domestically for them to get paid.
Therefore can't blame them for heading somewhere they can make a living out playing football.
They've served Hibs Ladies well so good luck to them.

Brightside
14-07-2018, 08:02 AM
The way to stop this is to start paying big wages to our girls.

Maybe we could divert some money we've spent on season tickets towards this? :rolleyes:

Or perhaps we could just let them be self funding, pay the girls from what they earn at the turnstile, sponsorship and from transfer fee's instead of being plundered like this?
The teams in England aren’t self funding either. But you know that you old fart. 😂

Colr
14-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Stupid comment. Any one supports Hibs should care - anything positive about Hibs is a good thing and the ladies team have been very good the last few years......

This!

HFCdeb
14-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Women's game in Scotland not developed enough domestically for them to get paid.
Therefore can't blame them for heading somewhere they can make a living out playing football.
They've served Hibs Ladies well so good luck to them.

This is the crux of the matter. The women's game in Scotland is lightyears behind the English. Good luck to any woman looking to make a living from playing. England is the place for them to do that.

Colr
14-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Remember Hibs hosted the first ever organised women’s game of football in world - back in 1881!!

Supporting the womens game is in our DNA!

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2018, 08:16 AM
The teams in England aren’t self funding either. But you know that you old fart. ��

So we are up against clubs in England who are billionaires, and throwing money about left right and centre.

And to try and compete we will need even more money, in fact we will need even more money just to stand still.

Yet after all their success, they STILL get one woman and a dog watching them, why is this?

Any money diverted from our season tickets, is money that does not go towards the team i support.

I dont pay my money to fund womens football.

Eyrie
14-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Good luck to Arnot and Smith with their new club, and I hope they have successful professional careers.

So we are up against clubs in England who are billionaires, and throwing money about left right and centre.

And to try and compete we will need even more money, in fact we will need even more money just to stand still.

Yet after all their success, they STILL get one woman and a dog watching them, why is this?

Any money diverted from our season tickets, is money that does not go towards the team i support.

I dont pay my money to fund womens football.

Your money didn't help us keep McGeouch when the third tier in English football decided to throw money about.

Your money has for several years been diverted to a youth team that wasn't producing players for the first team.

Onceinawhile
14-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Think Brownlie will be away down south soon too.

worcesterhibby
14-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Are there any transfer or development fees involved ?

NAE NOOKIE
14-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Had to happen … I presume Glasgow City will end up having the same problem as Hibs ladies, so from that point of view our women's team might be able to take the hit and still stay competitive with their only real challengers.

There's utterly no chance that Scottish women's football will be able to match up to what they can afford down south … for clubs like Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and now Man United chucking between 20 and 30 grand a year for example at a female players contract is peanuts to them, for a Scottish club its unthinkable and that will never change.

Hibs will never fund our women's team from the clubs coffers and rightly so, it just wouldn't make any business sense because it would only work if we could recoup those wages from a transfer fee, and so far as I'm aware there are no transfer fees paid in the women's game. I do hope that the club continue to support the ladies team in every other way possible though.

Good luck to the girls leaving Hibs to go to Man United, what a dream it must be for them to become professional footballers :aok:

cheltenhamhibee
14-07-2018, 11:00 AM
I was going to launch an appeal on here, I had heard a village had lost it's idiot, but all seems well now as he has appeared on here

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Good luck to Arnot and Smith with their new club, and I hope they have successful professional careers.

Your money didn't help us keep McGeouch when the third tier in English football decided to throw money about.

Your money has for several years been diverted to a youth team that wasn't producing players for the first team.

Our season ticket money has helped bring through Scott Brown, Thompso, Whittaker, Fletcher, Riordan and O'connor, and this year Porteous and Shaw.

How many ladies will ever make it to the team that play in the SPFL?

cleanyman
14-07-2018, 11:04 AM
Bad news for Hibs Ladies who had a realistic chance of winning the league this year.

Scottish women's football should be seen as a stepping stone to full time football and its great news for these young women. Glasgow City have also had a few who have left for Germany and this will only strengthen the national team.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Our season ticket money has helped bring through Scott Brown, Thompso, Whittaker, Fletcher, Riordan and O'connor, and this year Porteous and Shaw.

I believe the phrase is "Have a little patience" G.

Eyrie
14-07-2018, 11:14 AM

So for close to a decade we spent money on a youth team that contributed only Hanlon and Stevenson as first team regulars. The rest of the money went on a few players who dropped down a level after playing a couple of seasons for the first team and a lot of players who didn't even manage that for us.

We have a successful Ladies team that contributes to how positively I feel about being a Hibs fan in the same way that the youths' double last season or winning the Scottish Cup does. Or indeed the money spent on maintaining the stadium to a good standard rather than only the bare minimum to satisfy health & safety, or the money spent on running East Mains when we could be running round Arthur's Seat.

There is a lot more to Hibs than just the eleven players on the park that you want to support.

And we needed a lot more than your money and mine combined if we wanted to keep McGeouch, so do we have enough money to stand still in the men's game?

I actually agree with you that our Ladies team shouldn't be professional, but for a different reason. Unless the Ladies game up here goes semi-pro, then there is little point to having a professional team facing amateurs.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2018, 11:24 AM
So for close to a decade we spent money on a youth team that contributed only Hanlon and Stevenson as first team regulars. The rest of the money went on a few players who dropped down a level after playing a couple of seasons for the first team and a lot of players who didn't even manage that for us.

We have a successful Ladies team that contributes to how positively I feel about being a Hibs fan in the same way that the youths' double last season or winning the Scottish Cup does. Or indeed the money spent on maintaining the stadium to a good standard rather than only the bare minimum to satisfy health & safety, or the money spent on running East Mains when we could be running round Arthur's Seat.

There is a lot more to Hibs than just the eleven players on the park that you want to support.

And we needed a lot more than your money and mine combined if we wanted to keep McGeouch, so do we have enough money to stand still in the men's game?

I actually agree with you that our Ladies team shouldn't be professional, but for a different reason. Unless the Ladies game up here goes semi-pro, then there is little point to having a professional team facing amateurs.

I am not against Hibs ladies football team, just how its funded. I couldnt give a toss about the team, i dont look for their results and i dont care if the win or lose.

I think every lady/girl who wants to play football should play football. All i care about is the team i have followed all my life, and a youth set up has over the years brought through some fantastic players that have played for the club, and earnt us money when they left.

Once women start to do this, then by all means fund them, but i dont feel any more positive or less positive about this team because of the womans results.

At the start we were promised they would not need funded other than the odd set of strips, now its contracts and wages they need.

All for what, players who will never represent the team i support?

Whats next, a stadium, their own training centre?

They need to support themselves financially, not have it taken from funds that should be available for the mens team.

Jonnyboy
14-07-2018, 12:41 PM
Think Brownlie will be away down south soon too.

Wouldn’t surprise me as she is a very good player

Paisley Hibby
14-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Who cares

Another lurking Jambo just gives himself away.

Paisley Hibby
14-07-2018, 12:53 PM
I am not against Hibs ladies football team, just how its funded. I couldnt give a toss about the team, i dont look for their results and i dont care if the win or lose.

I think every lady/girl who wants to play football should play football. All i care about is the team i have followed all my life, and a youth set up has over the years brought through some fantastic players that have played for the club, and earnt us money when they left.

Once women start to do this, then by all means fund them, but i dont feel any more positive or less positive about this team because of the womans results.

At the start we were promised they would not need funded other than the odd set of strips, now its contracts and wages they need.

They need to support themselves financially, not have it taken from funds that should be available for the mens team.

Well at least that's a better response than "Who cares" - but only just in my opinion.

Lago
14-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Well at least that's a better response than "Who cares" - but only just in my opinion.
And mine!

SRHibs
14-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Trump loves Scotland. Maybe we should get him to invest.

Ozymandias
14-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Do you accept that there is any correlation between the success of Hibs Ladies or Girls/Women's football in general and the relevant health of the club? Access to and acceptance of the female game does I believe directly benefit the first team.

The more that Hibs is seen as aspirational and inclusive the more people (of both genders) will come to watch the undoubted pinnacle of the game at the club, the mens first team. You'd have to be blind to not see the growth of girls in the support over the last 5 years or so, not-so-oddly in direct correlation with a surge in the female game in Scotland and the South East in particular over the same period.

Your oft repeated mantra of "not a penny of my money on anything but the first team" is clear - you don't see Hibs as anything other than the first team. So should anything be spent on projects like "Fit Fans"? Should anyone be employed at the club in roles relating to community engagement? Are you happy with money being spent on social media that doesn't have a direct and measurable impact on the first team?

I think your thinking is limited, and no I'm not suggesting that Hibs pay professional wages to compete with teams in England, but to compartmentalise the club in the way you do is wrong.

BSEJVT
14-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Its a difficult one

I am proud of Hibs Ladies, have been to watch them and always look out for their results and their media coverage and my daughter is mates with their captain.

I want them to continue to do well and prosper and there is no doubt they have some very good players.

One of the games of football I have enjoyed most in years was their home Champions League game against Bayern where although they got thumped, Bayern were just a joy to watch, truly the beautiful game.

I have no doubt that their existence and success brings tangible benefits to Hibs not least in the number of women and girls who now attend games

I am happy Hibs offer them facilities and support them modestly through as I understand it kit etc.

Having said all of that I doubt I am ready to take money out the playing budget to offer their players contracts.

I hope the women's game goes from strength to strength and Hibs remain at the pinnacle of it and that in time it can generate in its own right sufficient monies for these women to be properly rewarded for their talent.

Unfortunately though like the men's game there is a food chain and like the men's team, it is inevitable that their better players will be pursued and more often that not caught by teams further up the food chain.

I am totally ignorant of their fund raising activities but maybe I would be prepared to fund them lightly as I do HSL and KFK by regular contribution to help them progress.

I don't know if this is something that is possible or that others may also be interested in doing to help the ladies team without "damaging" the men's team

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Do you accept that there is any correlation between the success of Hibs Ladies or Girls/Women's football in general and the relevant health of the club? Access to and acceptance of the female game does I believe directly benefit the first team.

Nope, we were pish and had pish crowds until we won that cup, that is the reason crowds are up, not having a womens team.If there are so many women wanting to watch football, why dont they go and watch the womens team too?

No bugger goes to watch them?

The more that Hibs is seen as aspirational and inclusive the more people (of both genders) will come to watch the undoubted pinnacle of the game at the club, the mens first team. You'd have to be blind to not see the growth of girls in the support over the last 5 years or so, not-so-oddly in direct correlation with a surge in the female game in Scotland and the South East in particular over the same period.

Again that is nonsense, women have been going to watch us ever since i can remember, in fact my mother took me to more games than my dad. Count me in as blind.

Your oft repeated mantra of "not a penny of my money on anything but the first team" is clear - you don't see Hibs as anything other than the first team. So should anything be spent on projects like "Fit Fans"? Should anyone be employed at the club in roles relating to community engagement? Are you happy with money being spent on social media that doesn't have a direct and measurable impact on the first team?

Its a difficult one, i disagree with quite a few box ticking exercises the club are involved in, so yes i am not happy with certain initiatives we are partake in.

I think your thinking is limited, and no I'm not suggesting that Hibs pay professional wages to compete with teams in England, but to compartmentalise the club in the way you do is wrong.

What is next though, i have watched from the beginning of this, and see little by little how more is being needed, and more and more will be wanted, for what in my opinion is little gain. I certainly dont see any gain, and thats why they need to be self sufficient.

Iggy Pope
14-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Trump loves Scotland. Maybe we should get him to invest.

He also loves the burdz. Allegedly.

Ozymandias
14-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Nope, we were pish and had pish crowds until we won that cup, that is the reason crowds are up, not having a womens team.If there are so many women wanting to watch football, why dont they go and watch the womens team too?

No bugger goes to watch them?

Again that is nonsense, women have been going to watch us ever since i can remember, in fact my mother took me to more games than my dad. Count me in as blind.

I think you're interpreting my point to suit your view and railing against a strawman. Clearly the cup win and the better football are the key reasons for the vast majority of increase in attendances. I asked if you accepted if there was any correlation between an increase in the interest and participation in the girls/women's game and the increase in crowds, in particular an apparent rise in women attending football. In the same way as you point to an example of being taken by your Mum, I can point to girls I have coached in the past now being regular attenders at senior men's games at Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk and Linlithgow Rose. If they hadn't played, they wouldn't have gone. As the female game is publicised, normalised and accepted, the interest in football from girls increases. This has to be a good thing

For the sake of picking a number, if playing for Hibs Girls or being Hibs minded and pestering parents to go see the team in the SPFL has added even as few as ten bodies through the gate every week, that's probably a minimum of £5K to the club, a lot less than is spent on the Women's team by the club.

As for "why don't they go to watch the women's team", like you, most people prefer the mens game. I can't see why this would change any time soon. However, as the game is improved - and it has improved dramatically over the last ten years - interest will continue to increase and crowds too. It'll find its level, but as a core Scottish footballing institution, Hibs are doing absolutely the right thing to back and promote it while its developing to reap the rewards in the future for both the mens and womens first teams.

Its a difficult one, i disagree with quite a few box ticking exercises the club are involved in, so yes i am not happy with certain initiatives we are partake in.

Fair play for your honesty, but your view of such initiatives as "box-ticking" is suggestive of you having a very different view of what being part of Hibernian is compared to me, and it would seem, the club.

What is next though, i have watched from the beginning of this, and see little by little how more is being needed, and more and more will be wanted, for what in my opinion is little gain. I certainly dont see any gain, and thats why they need to be self sufficient.

At the very base of this, do you honestly think that Rod and Leean don't put a very real business focus on this? The club is not a charity, but I see your view of the club as being nothing but the first team to the exclusion of pretty much everything else as being limited, old-fashioned and ultimately counter-productive to the goal of a successful Hibs mens first team.

Lago
14-07-2018, 06:48 PM
I think you're interpreting my point to suit your view and railing against a strawman. Clearly the cup win and the better football are the key reasons for the vast majority of increase in attendances. I asked if you accepted if there was any correlation between an increase in the interest and participation in the girls/women's game and the increase in crowds, in particular an apparent rise in women attending football. In the same way as you point to an example of being taken by your Mum, I can point to girls I have coached in the past now being regular attenders at senior men's games at Hibs, Hearts, Falkirk and Linlithgow Rose. If they hadn't played, they wouldn't have gone. As the female game is publicised, normalised and accepted, the interest in football from girls increases. This has to be a good thing

For the sake of picking a number, if playing for Hibs Girls or being Hibs minded and pestering parents to go see the team in the SPFL has added even as few as ten bodies through the gate every week, that's probably a minimum of £5K to the club, a lot less than is spent on the Women's team by the club.

As for "why don't they go to watch the women's team", like you, most people prefer the mens game. I can't see why this would change any time soon. However, as the game is improved - and it has improved dramatically over the last ten years - interest will continue to increase and crowds too. It'll find its level, but as a core Scottish footballing institution, Hibs are doing absolutely the right thing to back and promote it while its developing to reap the rewards in the future for both the mens and womens first teams.

Fair play for your honesty, but your view of such initiatives as "box-ticking" is suggestive of you having a very different view of what being part of Hibernian is compared to me, and it would seem, the club.

At the very base of this, do you honestly think that Rod and Leean don't put a very real business focus on this? The club is not a charity, but I see your view of the club as being nothing but the first team to the exclusion of pretty much everything else as being limited, old-fashioned and ultimately counter-productive to the goal of a successful Hibs mens first team.

What an excellent post, well done.

Stonewall
14-07-2018, 07:24 PM

Agree.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2018, 09:45 AM

As i have said a hundred times, i am 100% for women playing football, its a wonderful game for EVERYONE who wants to play it.

Although once again i get back to them being self sufficient. Now that we are losing our best players to richer clubs, what is obvious to me is they will now want more, more of everything.

Its a slippy slope where more and more resources will come out of the club that i support, and i'm against this.

I'm not against anyone fund raising for them, or even the club organising it.

No worries, not everyone thinks the same.

I am not against exclusion of everything bar the first team, i'm against funding a football team who will never provide a single player for the team i support.

Brightside
15-07-2018, 10:07 AM
I take it Arnot and Smith will now be full time professionals?
Not sure what sort of wages would be on offer at that level, pretty sure I heard that if you were English and playing in that league then you got a healthy wage but it was capped?

Its not a healthy wage but it’s a wage. Far too much though if you are BH and worried it might damage the men’s team.

Brightside
15-07-2018, 10:12 AM

We can’t make money on the Players if they aren’t under contract. If they were they would have much more of a chance to self fund. Hibs aren’t interested in this though as they seem more concerned with upsetting some of our blinkered fans. The sport is growing at a rate of knots down south. Scotland being left behind as usual.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2018, 11:23 AM
We can’t make money on the Players if they aren’t under contract. If they were they would have much more of a chance to self fund. Hibs aren’t interested in this though as they seem more concerned with upsetting some of our blinkered fans. The sport is growing at a rate of knots down south. Scotland being left behind as usual.

I must be blinkered as well. Because if Hibs were directing funds towards anything that didn’t have an impact on what I pay a lot of money to watch, I wouldn’t be particularly pleased. Hibs aren’t rich enough to do that and I’m glad they aren’t interested in doing so.

Brightside
15-07-2018, 11:48 AM
I must be blinkered as well. Because if Hibs were directing funds towards anything that didn’t have an impact on what I pay a lot of money to watch, I wouldn’t be particularly pleased. Hibs aren’t rich enough to do that and I’m glad they aren’t interested in doing so.

So we do that already with 100s of community “initiatives”. My point was in order for the ladies team to make money the players need to be on contracts.

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2018, 12:05 PM
So we do that already with 100s of community “initiatives”. My point was in order for the ladies team to make money the players need to be on contracts.

Pay money at the gate for every home game, raise funds like every other club does, and the money this brings in can pay them a wage.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Most businesses do likewise as they have targets around social responsibility and so on. Hibs donating to the community is to be expected and the recipients will be not for profit organisations. Hibs shouldn’t be donating to the ladies team to allow them to benefit financially at the detriment of the club itself.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2018, 01:02 PM
Its not a healthy wage but it’s a wage. Far too much though if you are BH and worried it might damage the men’s team.

He's not alone. Amongst 13,000 season holders, God knows how many Shareholders, HSL contributors, sponsors, advertisers and backers you'll be one of a couple of dozen that give a toss about Ladies football. I have 4 women in my ticket network who can't stand the thought. Hibs aren't a Professional Ladies Football Club anymore than they are a cricket club.

Ozymandias
15-07-2018, 06:10 PM
He's not alone. Amongst 13,000 season holders, God knows how many Shareholders, HSL contributors, sponsors, advertisers and backers you'll be one of a couple of dozen that give a toss about Ladies football. I have 4 women in my ticket network who can't stand the thought. Hibs aren't a Professional Ladies Football Club anymore than they are a cricket club.

The reason Hibernian Football Club exists, primarily, is to provide an entertainment for people who want the men's first team to be successful. I completely understand that for many, the women's game is of no interest for any number of reasons. I don't think anyone who is interested or involved in that side of the sport would have any qualms about that, and as long as there is an avoidance of sexist bollocks would take a stance of "no problem, whatever floats your boat".

However, in order for the SPFL team to succeed, the need fans through the turnstiles. One way of doing that is presenting Hibs as an open, inclusive and community driven club, Being involved with the women's side of the game raises the profile of the club with girls, and makes "playing for Hibs" as aspirational for girls as it is for boys. The number of registered female players has more than doubled in the last 5-6 years, and the South East Region has shown the biggest increase, and the increase is the biggest amongst younger girls - if I recall correctly its something like 5000 now in the South East. These girls must be seen as future fans through the gate. I mentioned earlier that, very roughly, an extra ten bodies through the gate every week adds £5K+ to the clubs coffers. I susepct the number is a fair bit higher than that. For Hibs not to back women's football would be shoot ourselves in the foot.

Also, the "couple of dozen" you mention is somewhat undermined by the attendance at the Bayern game. And you're right, we aren't a cricket club, but we are a football club.